• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Megasoum

Banned
When are you actually supposed to get the first class campaign quest and the heroes stuff to send on missions?

I boosted a monk originally and I feel like I went right into that stuff the moment I got to my class hall.

Now I'm playing on my paladin who was 96 and that I leveled to 101 (almost 102 now).

I'm maybe 3/4 through Stormheim and still no sign of that stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The leveling points for class hall stuff are 102, 105, 107 and 110.

sakyot

Hey guys,

I will be returning to WoW in the end of this month and I was hoping you could give me some help on where to start. I left on Cataclysm before Deathwing was even a Raid, I main a Paladin as a Tank.

I Know all the skills changed, it's way better, I know people will say to avoid WoD content?, and I have no idea what Garrisons are.
I just don't wanna feel overwhelmed, and I know that I will regardless, but if I have some ground that can be covered here, I would appreciate it.

Addons:
Deadly boss mods
Tidy plates
Tom tom (Is it worthy?)
Recount
Master Plan (Do I need it? What is Garrisons? I heard people saying to avoid Garrisons??)
Any other addon you could recommend me?

Macros:
Any good macros for paladin tank that you would recommend?

Questing/Dungeon:
Where should I start, I have the paladin at around maybe level 85?, I know that when I reach 98 I can and should start Legion content, but what until then??
Where would you go on level 85?
I know I will be lost, so I have no idea what quests I still have or what I should aim for!
I don't care too much about questing, but even then, people told me WoD questing is really bad, so I don't mind skipping and doing dungeons only, but I'm sure my gear is not enough.

Buying gear:
Should I buy any gear? Do quests for my level to get gear? Is there anything worth going for right now or keep my -low- money?

Professions:
I don't even remember what my professions are, but are they are tips for making gold, Auction house, ETC, or just keep off this until I have higher level?

Other changes:
Besides the completely new paladin rotation, probably new gear, probably new legendaries(which I heard off), probably new talents style, queue for raids, what other changes OR tips you can give me as soon as I go ingame?
Anything you would say "Well you totally need to do X or Y as soon as you get ingame"?

Should I download legion app?
Should I focus on professions?
Should I do anything special first?

Any other valuable tips, I would appreciate. I tried to search for some news, but I'm doing this post cause I will miss something, hopefully you guys can help me. I will be trying to keep up on the current content, and my aim is to be self sustainable to buy gold ingame from time to time, but I know it will take some months before I even complete the content I have left.
Sorry for the long post.

Robin64

Just hit the two hour mark of killing demons for this Holy Paladin artifact skin. "Fun"

It's a shame that some are creative and them some are this.

Just hit the two hour mark of killing demons for this Holy Paladin artifact skin. "Fun"

It's a shame that some are creative and them some are this.

It would have been neat if they could all be long, elaborate quests that take you all over the place. Sort of like the green fire quest for Warlocks.

CHC

Is there supposed to be some kind of secret to getting around the Gilded Market / Marina area of Suramar? This whole area of the city is completely moronic and frustrating, why they would ever send you here is beyond me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is there supposed to be some kind of secret to getting around the Gilded Market / Marina area of Suramar? This whole area of the city is completely moronic and frustrating, why they would ever send you here is beyond me.
The secret is to find a group.

ampere

The area with a lot of elites? Best way to do it is make a group

Hey guys,

I will be returning to WoW in the end of this month and I was hoping you could give me some help on where to start. I left on Cataclysm before Deathwing was even a Raid, I main a Paladin as a Tank.

I Know all the skills changed, it's way better, I know people will say to avoid WoD content?, and I have no idea what Garrisons are.
I just don't wanna feel overwhelmed, and I know that I will regardless, bslowut if I have some ground that can be covered here, I would appreciate it.

Addons:
Deadly boss mods
Tidy plates
Tom tom (Is it worthy?)
Recount
Master Plan (Do I need it? What is Garrisons? I heard people saying to avoid Garrisons??)
Any other addon you could recommend me?

Macros:
Any good macros for paladin tank that you would recommend?

Questing/Dungeon:
Where should I start, I have the paladin at around maybe level 85?, I know that when I reach 98 I can and should start Legion content, but what until then??
Where would you go on level 85?
I know I will be lost, so I have no idea what quests I still have or what I should aim for!
I don't care too much about questing, but even then, people told me WoD questing is really bad, so I don't mind skipping and doing dungeons only, but I'm sure my gear is not enough.

Buying gear:
Should I buy any gear? Do quests for my level to get gear? Is there anything worth going for right now or keep my -low- money?

Professions:
I don't even remember what my professions are, but are they are tips for making gold, Auction house, ETC, or just keep off this until I have higher level?

Other changes:
Besides the completely new paladin rotation, probably new gear, probably new legendaries(which I heard off), probably new talents style, queue for raids, what other changes OR tips you can give me as soon as I go ingame?
Anything you would say "Well you totally need to do X or Y as soon as you get ingame"?

Should I download legion app?
Should I focus on professions?
Should I do anything special first?

Any other valuable tips, I would appreciate. I tried to search for some news, but I'm doing this post cause I will miss something, hopefully you guys can help me. I will be trying to keep up on the current content, and my aim is to be self sustainable to buy gold ingame from time to time, but I know it will take some months before I even complete the content I have left.
Sorry for the long post.

I believe you get 1 level 100 boost when you buy the xpac? It might be worth using that if you dont mind missing pandaria/WoD stuff. Using the boost will give you a lowdown on your class(only for one spec though, idk which one it would be for paladin.)
People say avoid garrisons because it was super grindy, and the WoD levelling was unfortunately tied to it.

You dont really have to buy gear because questing scales gear up to a point(unless specifically a higher tier reward, it caps out at 820ish.)

As for add ons, tom tom isnt relly needed nor is master plan.

As for professions, if you do use the lvl 100 boost on your pally, your professions get a boost along with it. The best money making professions right now are definitely Alchemy(for flasks) and herbalism(to make flasks.)
On phone so I cant cover everything, but I covered the general stuff, I hope.

Sölf

We beat Court of Stars+3 thanks to a tank who knew what to do. Was still pretty close because we fucked up at some occasions and it took ages to find the spy. But hey, Vault of the Wardens +4 is next!

Aeana

Sölf;218053310 said:
We beat Court of Stars+3 thanks to a tank who knew what to do. Was still pretty close because we fucked up at some occasions and it took ages to find the spy. But hey, Vault of the Wardens +4 is next!

ofo1QQh.png

Magnus

Super late to this response but the +10s I've seen done (within timer) are like mid-850s for ilvl? Not even heavily optimized comps.

Crit is S. Priest's second best secondary so that wins out over the Vers? The normalized weights were like ~1.4 Haste, ~1.2 Crit, ~1.05 Mastery, 1.00 Int, ~.94 Vers. Probably worth double checking with a resource somewhere but that's what I remember when I was thinking of S. Priest as my caster alt.

Well, there's also something to be said about secondary stat priority but for "alt spec just for random easy Heroics / Mythics" then it's not the biggest of deals.

Isn't Crit our best stat if we aren't S2M?

sakyot

I believe you get 1 level 100 boost when you buy the xpac? It might be worth using that if you dont mind missing pandaria/WoD stuff. Using the boost will give you a lowdown on your class(only for one spec though, idk which one it would be for paladin.)
People say avoid garrisons because it was super grindy, and the WoD levelling was unfortunately tied to it.

You dont really have to buy gear because questing scales gear up to a point(unless specifically a higher tier reward, it caps out at 820ish.)

As for add ons, tom tom isnt relly needed nor is master plan.

As for professions, if you do use the lvl 100 boost on your pally, your professions get a boost along with it. The best money making professions right now are definitely Alchemy(for flasks) and herbalism(to make flasks.)
On phone so I cant cover everything, but I covered the general stuff, I hope.

Thanks, that is helpful.
I think my mage got Herbalism?
But low leveled.
Should I still use my 100 level for a second herbalism?

Sarek

It's pretty dissapointing to not be in a raiding guild and still wanting to raid as melee dps. It's extremely difficult to get in to pug raids in the first place, and then it's completely up in the air if the group is even able to do anything. Don't know what I should do as none of the guilds on my server I'd consider joining are looking for melee dps.

Magnus

It's pretty dissapointing to not be in a raiding guild and still wanting to raid as melee dps. It's extremely difficult to get in to pug raids in the first place, and then it's completely up in the air if the group is even able to do anything. Don't know what I should do as none of the guilds on my server I'd consider joining are looking for melee dps.

I know this is a super unhelpful suggestion if you're a player without enough time, but if you love the game as much as I do, it becomes worthwhile to consider having an alt you put a decent amount of love into, in case your main becomes frustratingly unviable, even for just a patch or two.

I'm gonna get a bunch of characters up to 110 over the next few months, but I'm happy about my Priest main for now, even with the shadow nerf coming. Happy to heal too for raids etc.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I decided against raiding in Legion opting instead to have Mythic+ as my end game, it allows me to get good gear from hard content with my closest friends without the time commitment of raiding and I think I made the correct choice, I did the whole hardcore raiding thing for many years and I just don't have it in me anymore. We did some +2 and +4 which were both very easy so hopefully we'll do some harder content next weekend.

My stable of characters is coming together now, I have my Demon Hunter main (RIP PTR patch) and main alt Resto Shaman at 110 and I'm now working on my Hunter to complete the mele, ranged and healer trifecta (I've never liked tanking, but if I need to I can on the DH). I've always been a big altoholic and Legion isn't very alt friendly or I'd maybe have more, the most fun I had in this game was during expansions where I had geared chars of every class at max level.

Legion still feels like a very, very good expansion, old hardcore me would have been a pig in shit, hell even causal me is still enjoying it very much nearly a month later.

Thanks, that is helpful.
I think my mage got Herbalism?
But low leveled.
Should I still use my 100 level for a second herbalism?

That depends if you dont mind losing out on another profession. As of right now Herbalism is useful because its expensive and its used in both inscription(milling) and Alchemy. Thats what I did with my boost, atleast >_>

Strimei

Hit exalted with the Nightfallen today, and I got my first legendary in the crate too!

Not the one I wanted (I wanted the Exodar shard ring that lets me Time Warp ALL THE TIME), but its decent, I suppose (gives arcane missiles a 25% chance to make the next arcane blast in 6 second cost no mana).

Magnus

Damn, lots of folks getting a legendary in here, eh?

4 so far in our guild. One resto shaman, two for a disc priest (lucky bastard) and one for our Ret paladin, though he forgot he had Holy loot spec on. Whoops.

Sucks that none of our dps has one yet.

CHC

So after running a bunch of mythics I've got two major backseat driver critiques of Arms:

- Tactician procs are too sparse and too powerful. In bad, bad, bad cases where I am "stranded" waiting for a proc, I've dipped to sub 100k DPS. In fights where I am drowning in procs, I've gone up to around 200k (at ~842 iLvl). Bottom line - I think the ability is simply too powerful and too infrequent. A lower percent buff on damage and a higher percent buff of proc change would be much more engaging to play.

- AoE is really poor unless you want to blow Battle Cry / Warbreaker / Bladestorm - which is impossible to do on a regular basis. Whirlwind just needs a straight buff - wouldn't matter whether it came in the form of stronger synergy with cleave or just as a plain old boost to damage, but unless I pop the triple header of abilities I mentioned above it's very hard to do competitive AoE damage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So after running a bunch of mythics I've got two major backseat driver critiques of Arms:

- Tactician procs are too sparse and too powerful. In bad, bad, bad cases where I am "stranded" waiting for a proc, I've dipped to sub 100k DPS. In fights where I am drowning in procs, I've gone up to around 200k (at ~842 iLvl). Bottom line - I think the ability is simply too powerful and too infrequent. A lower percent buff on damage and a higher percent buff of proc change would be much more engaging to play.

- AoE is really poor unless you want to blow Battle Cry / Warbreaker / Bladestorm - which is impossible to do on a regular basis. Whirlwind just needs a straight buff - wouldn't matter whether it came in the form of stronger synergy with cleave or just as a plain old boost to damage, but unless I pop the triple header of abilities I mentioned above it's very hard to do competitive AoE damage.

I've been using a focused rage build and even without constant procs I'm usually hitting about 130k, so maybe try that?

For your second point I agree 100%. Arms aoe is sad. Both Cleave and Whirlwind need damage buffs.

scy

Damn, lots of folks getting a legendary in here, eh?

My tank DH alt hit 110 on the second (third?) day and got one out of an emissary bag. DH has been my main since, despite spending all this time since late WoD building my DK up to be ready to main it throughout Legion.

I did gain leaping around though so I mean ... there's that.

dimb

It's not that bad honestly. You mostly just look to Whirlwind if you can cleave proc, and outside of that you use regular rotation. With Battle Cry up so often you can use it for the crits/bleed damage on one of your Whirlwinds and the damage is going to be fairly strong.

CHC

I've been using a focused rage build and even without constant procs I'm usually hitting about 130k, so maybe try that?

For your second point I agree 100%. Arms aoe is sad. Both Cleave and Whirlwind need damage buffs.

Yeah probably going to try an FR build. I use FR on my prot spec and I think I'm comfortable enough with the basics of Arms to be able to throw another button in there. Things becoming BORING when Tactician refuses to proc, basically just pounding Slam or Mortal Strike over and over hoping for Colossus Smash to light up.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Arms is all about insane single target and relatively weak sustained AoE. Burst AoE is good between warbreaker and bladestorm but that's on a 1.5 minute CD. Like someone else suggested, you can also blow your battle cry everytime it's off CD and then cleave --> whirlwind (when bladestorm is down), outside of battle cry though your aoe is going to be trash; that's just one of the drawbacks of the spec. Great burst AoE, awful sustained AoE (so not a great dungeon spec).

Unfortunately, both of your complaints will be especially poignant on Tuesday. Arms' chance to proc tactician is decreasing by about 15-20% and so its top tier single target will go down to middling single target and you're going to be stuck in RNG hell much more frequently. Unless something changes, the spec is really going to be a slog to play from a purely "fun" or smoothness standpoint and a liability in mythic+ dungeons.

Also yeah, if you're not using focused rage, you're doin it wrong. Focused rage with deadly calm + anger management is what allows you to chain tactician procs. Any other build has to slog through bad RNG far too much because it can't force tactician procs like FR + deadly calm can.

Maledict

There are a number of 'see illusion' 'mobs in that area that don't actually see invis. If you can deal with two elites at once you can solo all the dailies in the area by being careful and taking advantage of the dead zones and the fake mobs.

(Also to get into the area, don't go up the main stairs, it's a death trap. Go in via the canal to the right, and time your run up the stairs to dodge the groups. The guards at the entrance to the bridge on your left don't actually see illusions, so you can use the bridge as a safe zone to get to other areas).

CHC

Unfortunately, both of your complaints will be especially poignant on Tuesday. Arms' chance to proc tactician is decreasing by about 15-20% and so its top tier single target will go down to middling single target and you're going to be stuck in RNG hell much more frequently. Unless something changes, the spec is really going to be a slog to play from a purely "fun" or smoothness standpoint and a liability in mythic+ dungeons.

Yeah both the nerfs (the other being the one to prot's rage regeneration) are just being done in a really annoying fashion. If they feel things are too powerful I really wish they would take off the gloves and alter them directly rather than interfering with the resources or procs that allow players to use them.

Personally, like I said, I feel that Colossus Smash scales almost excessively with mastery, and it could stand to be toned down while at the same time having its frequency buffed. Making it trigger less is only making things more boring for some of the time, and is going to make DPS swing around wildly depending on pretty much pure luck. Even if they changed it so that crits guaranteed a Tactician proc or something - that would be fine because then we'd know to stack crit. But as it is there's really not much we can to bring about the CS debuff on our enemy if the proc doesn't trigger - outside of Warbreaker.

I dont know why people have trouble with Suramar

I played MGS, I know all the tricks.

It gets super hairy later when they send you to areas which are almost entirely covered with spotting mobs. If you haven't been to Marina or Gilded Market areas (I think there is a WQ there now, or the quest Rumor Has It), then yeah the rest of the city is perfectly manageable.

sakyot

Doubt:

Main - Paladin lvl 86 - Jewelcrafting and Mining 510-525
Mage 80 - Herbalism and Alchemy 525 - 525

Want to have: (for the lulz)
Druid

Should I use the booster on a Druid and get the respective professions

OR skip up the leveling up on my main account and get jewel and mining up to 700?
Unless leveling up those professions are not hard, I rather put a Druid to 100 instantly....

scy

Did you do Rumor Has It? I wanted to stab whoever designed that with a rusty fork. I've only done it on my main and it'll probably stay that way. I'll just like, not go to those dungeons, idc.

Go in, pull everything, kill all the things. #Tanks

You can run through every blue stealth field anyway so it's usually not too big an issue to path around the place. If all else fails, the canal acts as a free spot to drop aggro and acts as a central location to route from. Usually.

dimb

It's not the CS debuff that really does a lot of damage as Arms. It's Shattered Defenses on the artifact and how that interacts with being able to push everything into a single Mortal Strike. Arms does almost no damage outside the CS window anyways, so nerfing CS or mastery would be pretty pointless. The frequency of the reset is what makes Arms strong. Without Shattered Defenses you don't even hit that hard, although the damage plummets straight off a cliff with no CS debuff I guess.

Tarazet

Hey, I killed Dro. Fuck you Dro!

I finally full cleared the Withered training today. I did it as one of the specs that is worst equipped for it, too - Enhancement Shaman - and to boot I only started with the minimum of 8 withered because I was pressed for time and felt too burnt out to get 2000 mana. Didn't matter. The upgrades make it easier every week, and once you have everything the whole place is a joke.

RPGCrazied

Finally got another 110. I can't wait for the XP reduction in time. Leveling takes to long. I have to do this all over like 5 more times. lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Finally got another 110. I can't wait for the XP reduction in time. Leveling takes to long. I have to do this all over like 5 more times. lol

Just think, you get to experience the joy of the Suramar intro 5 more times as well, at least if you plan on doing WQs!

I'm done with WoW for this expansion. Grinding the same dungeons over and over but at higher difficulties is too draining.

Good luck to those left.

Mupod

Sölf;218086526 said:
Congratz, fellow Sephuz sufferer.

When I opened the first chest I was like 'damn, of course it's the shit one'. Then I opened the second.

I mainly play Blood to tank mythic+ so Sephuz actually isn't that bad at all.

Sölf

When I opened the first chest I was like 'damn, of course it's the shit one'. Then I opened the second.

I mainly play Blood to tank mythic+ so Sephuz actually isn't that bad at all.

I haven't really looked at Blood this expansion, how many Loss of Control effects do you have? As Frost I have, hm, let me look... oh yeah, one. :|

Top Bottom