• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

I don't understand why the reputation gear rewards and to lesser extent the order hall set even exist. You'd need to actively avoid doing content (including WQs that reward gear) to not have 840 gear by the time you reach exalted on Highmountain for example.

Apathy

I don't understand why the reputation gear rewards and to lesser extent the order hall set even exist. You'd need to actively avoid doing content (including WQs that reward gear) to not have 840 gear by the time you reach exalted on Highmountain for example.

Yeah that baffled me. Doing all the shit you need to do to get that rep will, even by chance, get you better gear than the rep rewards.

Also, still so damn annoyed at the legendary drop rate. Can blizzard go back to rewarding skill or commitment instead of dumb blind luck. I haven't missed a cache or withered training or mythic dungeon and the damn legendaries still won't stop. Yet a fresh 110 gets it on their first go at a heroic dungeon boss. Give me a break.

Trickster

Substantial rep gains are tied to randomized emissary missions. In old expansions, if I wanted to focus on faction X I would go do my handful of daily activities or run the respective instanced content or wear a tabard.

Now? Now it's fuck you, junior. You'll fly around the map doing limited world quests for tiny amounts of rep and hope the emissary rolls your way. No tabards, no dungeon rep, no turn ins.

Aha, that makes sense.

I just generally don't really bother with rep unless I need to for some reason, so it's not really something I pay attention too :p. Don't think i spend 1 minute actively going after specific rep in WoD.

Renekton

To fill the unlucky gaps.

I was holding a 825 neck for the longest time, so the Nightfallen rep one was perfect.

Robin64

I'd assume they're going to let you upgrade the class hall gear past 840 eventually? It'd be stupid not to.

I was wondering about that, because the shoulders are 850 when you buy them, which makes sense given their gate but you can't get the rest to 850.

Apathy

To fill the unlucky gaps.

I was holding a 825 neck for the longest time, so the Nightfallen rep one was perfect.

Nightfallen is a good example of gear that is perfect for the rep . friendly gives you a blue, honored gives you a sightly higher blue plus opens up upgrades for your order Hall gear to hit 840, revered gives you an epic and exalted gives you 850 shoulders. Every other faction won't give you an epic until exalted. Also the night fallen rep is the fastest one to raise up despite being the last one you open up.

Tenebrous

What world quest grind are we talking about? 900 more Dreamreavers rep and I'm revered with all six factions, having done pretty much nothing except the four required daily for the cache. I'd hardly call that a grind.

Mupod

Apparently I'm not the only lucky asshole to get a double legendary drop out of Mythics. In a thread on mmo-champ someone linked another guy that happened to (double drop out of two mythic+ chests). As a wise man once said, something's fucky.

One of the legendaries I got (Sephuz' Signet) is being ignored by people as a shit legendary and while that may be true for raids, I see this being amazing for 5 man content. You get 10 seconds of 15% haste and 75% move speed every time you use a 'loss of control effect' to enemies. As Blood, I have a talent that causes Death and Decay to constantly fear enemies who stand in it. The fear has an internal cooldown that is shorter than the 30 second internal cooldown on the ring, and D&D is always in place. Haste is also the best Blood stat, and it isn't just 15% of my current haste, it is straight up +15% (I have around 20% unbuffed). DKs are also the least mobile class so sprinting 1/3 of the time should be awesome.

Can't wait to actually try it out. I may abuse my now-inflated item level to get into a heroic Ursoc pug clear - we beat Heroic Nythendra last night and I was dominating DPS most of the time. Felt good considering the last time I raided as melee DPS was...um...Sunwell?

Ark

I actually really like the titanforge system. If I was still the hardcore no lifer I was in WoTLK I'd be livid at the thought, but now I actually find it quite rewarding.

Trickster

Apparently I'm not the only lucky asshole to get a double legendary drop out of Mythics. In a thread on mmo-champ someone linked another guy that happened to (double drop out of two mythic+ chests). As a wise man once said, something's fucky.

One of the legendaries I got (Sephuz' Signet) is being ignored by people as a shit legendary and while that may be true for raids, I see this being amazing for 5 man content. You get 10 seconds of 15% haste and 75% move speed every time you use a 'loss of control effect' to enemies. As Blood, I have a talent that causes Death and Decay to constantly fear enemies who stand in it. The fear has an internal cooldown that is shorter than the 30 second internal cooldown on the ring, and D&D is always in place. Haste is also the best Blood stat, and it isn't just 15% of my current haste, it is straight up +15% (I have around 20% unbuffed). DKs are also the least mobile class so sprinting 1/3 of the time should be awesome.

Can't wait to actually try it out. I may abuse my now-inflated item level to get into a heroic Ursoc pug clear - we beat Heroic Nythendra last night and I was dominating DPS most of the time. Felt good considering the last time I raided as melee DPS was...um...Sunwell?

Double fucking legendary lol. There is not fucking way that the legendary system isn't completed fucked in some way

I actually really like the titanforge system. If I was still the hardcore no lifer I was in WoTLK I'd be livid at the thought, but now I actually find it quite rewarding.

Yeah I can imagine it's a great system when viewed from a perspective where gear isn't that important. Because then it's just a nice bonus when you get it. But man it fucking sucks when you are actively trying to get gear for raiding.

Tenebrous

I don't see any problems with it. Content isn't balanced around having titanforged gear, so what's the harm?

I'm a fan.

Mupod

My problem in WoW has always been that I need to constantly be progressing and in the past the only way to do that was to kill myself in the hardest raid content 20-30 hours a week. And then I burn out. But if I don't have a path to the best gear, I don't even want to play. I cannot be casual.

The guild I'm in right now only raids for about 6-7 hours a week. We got heroic Ursoc to 28% last night - in my previous guild that would have meant we would extend the raid to 1AM or worse to get it down (even though we started at 6:30-7). But this guild starts at 8:30 and hard stops at 12AM, and only does 2 days. It was actually quite nice. We did do a Saturday raid but that was a special situation because so many people are back for the expansion right now we had to do a second raid - I didn't get into the Tuesday one, but I got to tank in this one.

Most of my week was spent doing Mythic+ with friends. I had a lot of fun doing it and got tons of upgrades - I only found one Titanforged piece, but I got a lot of 850 gear with better secondary stats than what I had. Gear drops constantly in there and if you go with multiple of the same armor type then you can optimize stats pretty well. It definitely showed in the raid.

Speedrunning dungeons is something I did even in the Dire Maul days, at one point I was selling ZA bear mounts to my server too. The ability to make progress outside of raids might be what it takes to keep me interested in WoW past a few months, we'll see.

Trickster

I don't see any problems with it. Content isn't balanced around having titanforged gear, so what's the harm?

I'm a fan.

I raid because i enjoy doing raid content and find it enjoyable to compete on damage. As such, getting shafted by rng on legendaries and not getting procs on items can be really frustrating when you see friends or guildmates getting ahead of you by no other metrics than getting repeatedly lucky.

Zelias

Banned
I don't mind titanforging - I just treat it as a bonus to gear I want to get anyway though and try to avoid going for gear that will only be an upgrade if it titanforges.

More bothered about the shitty legendary RNG.

Lanrutcon

I'm a fan.

Hi, I'm Joe. I've been playing for exactly the amount of time as Jim. Jim got lucky with forging and legendary rolls, beating my item level by 20. Jim gets to do Mythic+ dungeons I can't, simply due to better RNG. The issue is further compounded as the content he can now do offers even more of a gear advantage, which gives him access to even higher levels of content than me, both in organised and pick up groups. Since item level is officially accepted as a measure of progression and ability, RNG has dictated that Jim now performs better than me.

I've invested the exact same time as him, played just as well as him and paid the exact same subscription fee, but due to an invisible dice roll that offers wildly different results, he's progressed further.

This is bad design.

Tenebrous

Can someone just confirm for me that we can still get RAF rewards by recruiting ourselves & paying the two months with in-game gold? Friend of mine wants to know.

I raid because i enjoy doing raid content and find it enjoyable to compete on damage. As such, getting shafted by rng on legendaries and not getting procs on items can be really frustrating when you see friends or guildmates getting ahead of you by no other metrics than getting repeatedly lucky.

But they don't get ahead of you if you're doing the same raid content - In fact, they take you further. Unless you're on the cutting edge, you only need to worry about pulling your weight, and it's easy to pull more than that if you're investing time into your class.

I'm artifact level 24. I have no legendaries & just the one warforged/titanforged item... The system, at times, strikes me as a tad unfair seeing how the two most solo-progressed players in the guild have nothing special while we've trials at AL18 with two, but at the end of the day, it's all making the raids easier, so I don't care if everyone has one except me.

Hi, I'm Joe. I've been playing for exactly the amount of time as Jim. Jim got lucky with forging and legendary rolls, beating my item level by 20. Jim gets to do Mythic+ dungeons I can't, simply due to better RNG. The issue is further compounded as the content he can now do offers even more of a gear advantage, which gives him access to even higher levels of content than me, both in organised and pick up groups. Since item level is officially accepted as a measure of progression and ability, RNG has dictated that Jim now performs better than me.

I've invested the exact same time as him, played just as well as him and paid the exact same subscription fee, but due to an invisible dice roll that offers wildly different results, he's progressed further.

This is bad design.

Play with friends/guildies & not pugs, then this won't really be an issue. I know it's not the most elegant solution (it's barely a solution), but hey, it works.

This is bad design.

This isn't really a problem if you start your own groups.

Just noticed that my Ret Paladin's ilvl is 844, but I've never done a Mythic dungeon and only done 2 (maybe 3) Heroics.

Not entirely sure why it's that high, but hey I'm not knocking it... hopefully after wednesday's patch I'll be able to get into some groups.

I can't wait for 7.1 mainly because of the catchup stuff that hopefully they'll add in for alts

I really want to get to playing my shaman(so I can gear him as resto) but when my druid isn't getting nightfallen rep or gear or anything I feel like i'm wasting time.

I also paid to faction change my warrior but same deal; not getting rep on my druid and stuff so I feel like playing her is a waste of time.

This addon...

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/transmogroulette

Best addon since the John Cena one.

now you can live every day as vintage TBC clownsuit day

Entropia

No One Remembers

This is bad design.

I have mixed feelings about the amount of extra stuff you can get on gear. It makes the game feel like an even more endless gear treadmill.

Week 1: BIS trinket drops, sweet!
Week 2: BIS trinket drops with a socket, sweet!
Week 3: BIS trinket drops Titanforged +20 ilvls, no socket.
Week 4: BIS trinket drops Titanforge with a socket, and a tertiary stat.

Am I crazy for wanting to know exactly what I am getting?

This boss drops a trinket that has and will always be this item level, have these exact stats and a socket. Or he drops this helmet that that will always be this item level, have these stats, and no socket.

---

To the other persons point about starting your own group: It's the fact that two people who were getting the 'same' gear but one of them got lucky with the extra stats and such that you can get on them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Actually, no. It doesn't. I don't magically perform X item levels above my station because it's my own group. Unless you're advising me to coast off others?

i think the argument is more that;

RNG means that some members of the group will tend to end up higher ilvl than others

this means that there's an increased chance that loot will drop that is not an upgrade for one person in the group but which is an upgrade for someone else in the group, which means that the underlevelled people have a higher chance to get upgrades (due to trading)

Mupod

Killed Heroic Xavius yesterday after 1 hour of attempt. Super Clean kill, Warrior tank are freaking OP.

We did a run of normal EN with some pugs on Saturday. We had a warrior tank who had done most encounters before - I kept asking him for details on the fights because I had only studied up from the DPS perspective.

His answers were usually summed up by 'I dunno I just ignore pain through everything lol'

I'm fairly certain we did Xavius completely wrong. We were getting gibbed at the end but killed him anyways. Did it again last night for the guild members who missed out and it went smoothly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is bad design.

I'm unsure how this is different from the days before personal loot and WQs and so forth. Jim gets lucky with raid/dungeon drops and Joe doesn't. Jim gets ahead?

If you're looking for a game where every player is rewarded proportionally to their performance/time spent in the game I want to say MMOs are not the place to look for this experience. Any game with randomized drops de facto favors some people over others.

And regarding your coasting comment, what's wrong with that? Because of the Mythic+ system people are literally asking for you to coast on them so they can get loot and you can get loot. Where once you had to beg and pay people to run you through things now they'll do it of their own accord and everyone benefits.

People will also now share loot, again of their own volition, even in pugs. I can barely get any upgrades these days in Mythics so most of my drops go to lower ilvl Leather wearers. Warforged gear with bad secondaries? Useless for me but a massive boost to a newly geared Feral druid I'm running with.

Lanrutcon

I'm unsure how this is different from the days before personal loot and WQs and so forth. Jim gets lucky with raid/dungeon drops and Joe doesn't. Jim gets ahead?

If you're looking for a game where every player is rewarded proportionally to their performance/time spent in the game I want to say MMOs are not the place to look for this experience. Any game with randomized drops de facto favors some people over others.

And regarding your coasting comment, what's wrong with that? Because of the Mythic+ system people are literally asking for you to coast on them so they can get loot and you can get loot. Where once you had to beg and pay people to run you through things now they'll do it of their own accord and everyone benefits.

People will also now share loot, again of their own volition, even in pugs. I can barely get any upgrades these days in Mythics so they all go to lower level Leather wearers. Warforged gear with bad secondaries? Useless for me but a massive boost to a Feral druid I'm running with.

It's less about RNG and more the amount/magnitude of RNG involved.

We're talking about an environment where a single legendary could count for an additional 10% dps on a spec. Where the variance in power of a single piece of gear is up to 25 item levels. That's nearly the difference between Normal and Mythic raid gear. That's nuts.

And my coasting argument: the guy who got unlucky with the RNG gets boosted once, the guy who got lucky with the RNG gets to do the boosting, and harvest a shitload more loot than the other poor sod. And thus the gap widens.

Ark

You're assuming an exponential curve in which unlucky player 1 never, ever gets any titanforge catch-up, whereas lucky player 2 constantly gets them.

scy

Hi, I'm Joe. I've been playing for exactly the amount of time as Jim. Jim got lucky with forging and legendary rolls, beating my item level by 20.

This is 64 Warforged rolls on all-else-equal gear. 64. I get the +20 is for the sake of making the point but it's a hard one to really follow at this point. Item level merely gives me an idea of where people are in total gearing but is no real sign of what to expect from their damage. That is to say, I'll attribute any surprising highs of their output to gearing but for the most part, it's down to how well they know what they're doing.

Actually, no. It doesn't. I don't magically perform X item levels above my station because it's my own group. Unless you're advising me to coast off others?

Eh, I find "right place, right time" with people is usually a much bigger deal in these situations than "if only I RNG'd +3 sheet ilvl" when it comes to getting to run content. Realistically speaking, a lot of the content is more than doable at lower than advertised for ilvls so it's less about coasting and more about realistic expectations.

That all said, I more-or-less recently came back to (does back to really count if it's since late tBC?) the game so I have practically no contacts. 856 Vengeance DH, 850 Blood DK and pretty much always down to do things and mostly just limited by having the people to pull from to make groups. So yeah, for anyone Horde side on NA, scy#1745 and we can see about making runs happen.

Lanrutcon

You're assuming an exponential curve in which unlucky player 1 never, ever gets any titanforge catch-up, whereas lucky player 2 constantly gets them.

Negative. Once player 1 is ahead, he has access to content that'll keep him ahead until player 2 gets the same break. I'm not assuming player 1 gets titanforged rained on him until he punches Gul'dan in the throat and calls it a day.

Edit: But it's ok. Let's see if it equalizes over the long run. At least there aren't people with 3 legendaries while most have none. Cough.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We're talking about an environment where a single legendary could count for an additional 10% dps on a spec. Where the variance in power of a single piece of gear is up to 25 item levels. That's nearly the difference between Normal and Mythic raid gear. That's nuts.
In my experience, having tanked Mythics three weeks now and done a few +2 to +4 Mythic+, the biggest differentiation between DPS is not ilvl but personal skill, and I don't sweat it if some guy is doing 10% less than someone else. When I care about performance, it's mostly in cases where the Healer is healing less than my self heal, or if some DPS is 50% being everyone else despite being near the same ilvl. Or when people are just acting a fool.

And my coasting argument: the guy who got unlucky with the RNG gets boosted once, the guy who got lucky with the RNG gets to do the boosting, and harvest a shitload more loot than the other poor sod. And thus the gap widens.
That's fine. There are people more geared than me who poopsocked Obliterium crafted gear/Legendaries (when the pity timer was working in reverse) week 1. My experience isn't lessened because they're facerolling Heroic Xavius and I'm not. On the contrary it might be better now, because those players are the ones making Raiding and Mythic+ guides I can use for my runs, and crunching the numbers I use to optimize my own gear.

Well, yes, people who have better gear will perform better, all other things being equal. As long as your performance is fine for the content you're trying to do, who gives a shit?

Rolled a DH as I was bored of my Paladin right now (839 and yet to do a dungeon as fuck randoms)
Holy shit these guys are fun :D I'm in love.
Is there a Gaf crew in here similar too the Destiny community? Serious yet fun? I'm on Earthen ring and it is dead (by dead I mean the guys and gals I used to play with are no longer)

Mupod

this whole line of argument is funny to me as someone in a casual raiding guild. I think their main tank was 830 the first time they went into EN, and not everyone was geared or prepared for the raid. It's all over the place and they don't get on people's cases about it. Based on our logs from yesterday I was doing double the damage of some - and I'm not even on the short list of guaranteed raid spots because I wasn't playing in late WoD. They give raid spots to people who play well and show up for hard stuff not for the guy with the highest item level, and that's been the case in any guild I've been in.

I mean, for example the last time I raided (in a much more serious guild) we ran a mod to call out anyone who was missing a top tier enchant on any slot and they were not allowed in until they fixed it. It was that kind of Mythic progression raid group. But not once did we think 'well this guy has a higher ilvl let's bench our dedicated raiders for him'.

Anyways obviously it's different if you live in the group finder I guess. But I will say this - mythic+ is where most of my big upgrades came from and most of those were NOT because of warforge/titanforge. It was getting rid of my suboptimal gear in favor of more haste/mastery and crit/haste stuff that gave me the largest improvements. If you get double chests in mythic 2-4 and pound those out constantly you'll be rolling in gear.

Rixxan

Is anyone here pretty experienced in arena?

I'm a sub rogue and I'm comfortable with my 3's comp (RMP/RMPally)

But I'm entirely torn about my 2's comp, I absolutely loathe DPS/Healer but that's how I've always had success. Disc/Rogue is so boring, but I've hit 2400 running that in the past. But I don't think it's smart to run that this time around because Arms/Disc will shit on that with mortal strike, and sub overall damage isn't top of the pack burst.

Just also not sure if Mage/Rogue will work as it has in the past either

Ugh I hate modern 2's

Knch

Can anybody clear something up with me in regard to cross realm zones and cross real grouping in those zones? I looked it up but the explanation I found didn't make sense or I didn't understand it correctly. I wasn't playing when this was introduced.

I play on an RP-PvP server and I have a friend on a PvE server. We grouped up the other day and he was a little annoyed that we ended up in a PvP zone. He was group leader but I was the first to load in the zone. Is there a way for us to ensure we load into a PvE zone in the future? It doesn't bother him that much but he prefers to not play in PvP zones.

If you are in sperate zones, you'll be in your own respective zones. If he travels to you, he'll join you in the zone you were in. If you travel to him, you'll join him in his zone. When both travelling together you'll end up in the zone of whoever loads faster. You can force the zone by breaking up and re-inviting. (At least it seems to work this way.)

Tarazet

Just noticed that my Ret Paladin's ilvl is 844, but I've never done a Mythic dungeon and only done 2 (maybe 3) Heroics.

Not entirely sure why it's that high, but hey I'm not knocking it... hopefully after wednesday's patch I'll be able to get into some groups.

Meanwhile I've done about a dozen Mythics plus two keystone Mythic+, TEN 3/7, and I'm at 846. The marginal gains are real.

By the way, I looked at the top parse for Enhancement on Ursoc compared to mine. Fully 25% of his damage was from stuff you buy - flask, +375 food, Hidden Satyr enchant, using a Potion of the Old War, and the proc from that Six-Feather Fan trinket that costs 200k if you can even buy one on the AH.

At least I can buy all of that too, other than the trinket.

I meant I think the lootm is fine btw lol. Maybe people were expecting to be 880 now or something? Seems fine for me, except those couple of days where I had no gear from WQs which was annoying.

A friend of mine just got a 870 wrist from heroic. I got a 855 from a heroic. Dunno seems fine for me

*gets lucky because of RNG* "seems fine to me"

You do understand that's how RNG works, right?

I don't have a huuuge problem with the titanforging stuff, but Legendaries being pure RNG is complete bullshit.

Yeah that baffled me. Doing all the shit you need to do to get that rep will, even by chance, get you better gear than the rep rewards.

Also, still so damn annoyed at the legendary drop rate. Can blizzard go back to rewarding skill or commitment instead of dumb blind luck. I haven't missed a cache or withered training or mythic dungeon and the damn legendaries still won't stop. Yet a fresh 110 gets it on their first go at a heroic dungeon boss. Give me a break.

I feel like this is Destiny RNG gear drops on the wild being better than the gear on the rep vendors all over again, rolling on patrol for better rewards than the rep rewards itself but you have to do it because you need that receipt for your profesion.

I have better 840 ilv gear before getting exalted with Suramar . the world boss even have me a 860 helmet which makes my class helmet useless

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*gets lucky because of RNG* "seems fine to me"

You do understand that's how RNG works, right?

I don't have a huuuge problem with the titanforging stuff, but Legendaries being pure RNG is complete bullshit.

I said nothing about Legendaries. At all. I still dont have one. On any character, its quite annoying like it is for everyone.

The forging itself, like others have said, I treat it as a bonus, I dont expect it and if it happens, cool.

Pickman

Decided to use my Vault of the Wardens keystone last night.

Tank decided he could pull all the spiders in the last trash walk to Cordana and be fine.

Nobody got the idea of "die together and let them reset".

We went from 9 minutes left to in the red by the time we got to the boss.

sigh.

Sölf

Decided to use my Vault of the Wardens keystone last night.

Tank decided he could pull all the spiders in the last trash walk to Cordana and be fine.

Nobody got the idea of "die together and let them reset".

We went from 9 minutes left to in the red by the time we got to the boss.

sigh.

image.php

Lanrutcon

While we're sharing mythic+ fuck ups: those large elementals in Heart? they split into smaller ones, which grow into large elementals if left alone. The tank decided to pull both large elementals, both packs of smaller slimes and a chunk of dragon whelps. Then the aoe kills the elementals and the Arms warrior dies, our aoe falters and bam. Something stupid like 12 of the large elementals then proceed to pinball us.

Top Bottom