• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Make horrible half finished changes and implement them in the game with a ticking clock. Force the community to do your work for you and suggest changes that are even remotely reasonable. Okay? Literally never seen a developer do this before.

Does anyone have a good source for Blood DK information? I've gone by Icy Veins and Noxxic's state weights, but I can't help but feel my DK is just super squishy in Heroics and especially in Mythics considering he's at ilvl 838.

Zelias

Banned
Personally, Feral rotation is too difficult for me. Keeping actives for buffing bleeds, reacting to energy level and shred crits in conjunction with HT buff, maintaining savage roar and rake, etc.
Ah, is Feral still JOHN FUCKING MADDEN then? I'll give it a shot and see how it is. I do feel like I'll prefer Balance though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They really need to nerf the requirements to make pots, it's insane that one single pot needs 2 Starlight, 4 Foxflower and 4 Fjarnskaggl. I understand that they wanted professions to matter more than they did in WoD but this is just insane.

To raid you need to farm an insane of herbs for flasks, pots and food.

If I wasn't raiding, I'd be making millions of gold right now.

I have been able to farm pretty nicely this expansion. I'm floating around 100k right now, and have already purchased my next month. Even just farming raw mats for an hour you can make a few thousand gold. If I had Herb\Alch I would probably be making tens of thousands for each couple hours farming.

Maledict

They really need to nerf the requirements to make pots, it's insane that one single pot needs 2 Starlight, 4 Foxflower and 4 Fjarnskaggl. I understand that they wanted professions to matter more than they did in WoD but this is just insane.

only some professions. Blacksmithing is absolutely and utterly worthless in every respect. God knows what they were thinking with it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I have been able to farm pretty nicely this expansion. I'm floating around 100k right now, and have already purchased my next month. Even just farming raw mats for an hour you can make a few thousand gold. If I had Herb\Alch I would probably be making tens of thousands for each couple hours farming.

I had a random range pot that I got from somewhere, dunno where, it fucking sold for 850g.

ONE POT

I could farm for an hour or two and make thousands but I can't because every single herb that I get is used for my own raid supplies. This whole system just benefits people who don't raid.

If you're a raider and don't want to spend 50k a night, you're pretty much required to have herbalism on a character. All my guildies have it on at least one character.

Speaking of professions I sold a basic 815 Shadowruby Band ring for 30k this morning. I took a chance listing it as it seemed to be the only craftable thing I could make with a chance of selling.

Son1x

I thought there was supposed to be some catch up mechanic involving Artifact Knowledge but it just researches as slowly as regularly.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I thought there was supposed to be some catch up mechanic involving Artifact Knowledge but it just researches as slowly as regularly.
The catch-up mechanic is for your own offspecs, not compared from player to player, I'm pretty sure.

Renekton

I had a random range pot that I got from somewhere, dunno where, it fucking sold for 850g.

ONE POT

I could farm for an hour or two and make thousands but I can't because every single herb that I get is used for my own raid supplies. This whole system just benefits people who don't raid.

If you're a raider and don't want to spend 50k a night, you're pretty much required to have herbalism on a character. All my guildies have it on at least one character.
A rogue sap-ed me and /spit when I proc-ed the Foxflower Fox, he must be a raider.

Son1x

Yes. It provides a multiplier to AP-giving items irrespective of which artifact you cash them in on; AK is shared between all your weapons.

Yea thats not a catch up mechanic. Its just the way things works, which consequently makes it faster to level up off specs since they're at 0.

Supposedly the AK research rate goes faster as real time passes. I couldn't play for 2 weeks so I'm only at 3, but its moving at practically the same speed as my friends, who is at 5. This means the only way I can ever catch him (or others) is to slowly level and do so once we're all maxed. This does seem like the most retarded thing Blizzard has ever done.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yea thats not a catch up mechanic. Its just the way things works, which consequently makes it faster to level up off specs since you have nothing put in them.

Supposedly the AK research rate goes faster as real time passes. I couldn't play for 2 weeks so I'm only at 3, but its moving at practically the same speed as my friends, who is at 5. This means the only way I can ever catch him (or others) is to slowly level and do so once we're all maxed. This does seem like the most retarded thing Blizzard has ever done.
It's a catch-up mechanic for offspecs, which is all I think it was ever sold as? Also the last levels of Artifact talents are extraordinary AP sinks so while you won't catch your friends in absolute AP earned unless they take a break, you will catch up in Artifact level at some point (I guess when they hit those final Artifact talents).

[edit] Also there are something like 29 levels of Artifact Knowledge, so comparing 2 to 5 doesn't seem like a great way to assess whether the levels take different amounts of time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Raid Finder wing 2 doesnt open for 2 weeks? mweh

And then another 2 weeks after that for Xavius. Can't go having casuals see the content too quickly.

wasnt it every week before? Well in mop days at least, I didnt do Draenor

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im doing daily emissaries on 4 characters now. Probably not smart since I will end up getting a Legendary on someone I dont want probably, but still no legendary at all lol

Son1x

It's a catch-up mechanic for offspecs, which is all I think it was ever sold as? Also the last levels of Artifact talents are extraordinary AP sinks so while you won't catch your friends in absolute AP earned unless they take a break, you will catch up in Artifact level at some point (I guess when they hit those final Artifact talents).

[edit] Also there are something like 29 levels of Artifact Knowledge, so comparing 2 to 5 doesn't seem like a great way to assess whether the levels take different amounts of time.
I swear I heard or read from someone from Blizzard that AK research time decreases as time passes. I'm on the phone now but I'll find it when I'm on pc.

We are still talking about over 100% of difference in AP aquired from items. I'd have to getat least twice as many to be on even grounds.

Basically, this is the worst expansion when it comes to catching up since its practically imposible to do so if you miss the research, even if I had a lot of time.

Zelias

Banned
im doing daily emissaries on 4 characters now. Probably not smart since I will end up getting a Legendary on someone I dont want probably, but still no legendary at all lol
Jesus, doing it on two is about the limit for me. How are you doing it on four?

M.D

Found the addon that I previously saw in this thread

XIV_Databar

Is it working properly for the people who are using it here? Some people seem to have some problems with it judging by the comments section

Rhaknar

Jesus, doing it on two is about the limit for me. How are you doing it on four?

because Ive been off work lately, which ends...tomorow. I will revert to 2 like you then, which would be my "mains" I guess (Monk and Hunter)

edit: although to be fair its not like doing 4 WQs takes a long time

I swear I heard or read from someone from Blizzard that AK research time decreases as time passes. I'm on the phone now but I'll find it when I'm on pc.

We are still talking about over 100% of difference in AP aquired from items. I'd have to getat least twice as many to be on even grounds.

Basically, this is the worst expansion when it comes to catching up since its practically imposible to do so if you miss the research, even if I had a lot of time.

Yes there is one.

One “hidden” feature of the Artifact system is that the rate at which your Artifact Knowledge Work Orders complete speeds up over time. The system keeps track of the time that it’s been since the release of the expansion, and how long it takes to process Artifact Knowledge Work Orders and gain Artifact Knowledge will reduce as time goes on. So whether you’re just working on an alternate character or you’re not playing cutting-edge player, the system will gives you ways to “catch up” as time goes on.
But I think it's meant more for characters that start research months later, not days.

Mupod

Tried to pug H Ursoc last night. Got in to one easily and we had some promising early attempts - we got it under 10% in a few pulls.

Demon Hunter starts complaining about tank deaths, then proceeds to die every pull for the next 5-6. How the fuck do you even die on that fight as DPS? Your responsibilities are so minimal I don't understand how you'd even beat regular Nythendra and have problems with Ursoc.

After a bunch more wipes the raid leader got impatient and cut the raid down to 10. There were some very...unhappy people in that Discord. They forced flasks/pots/food and we still couldn't get it under 10% anymore, so I guess bigger raids are still better now.

Even though it was a big failure I got a lot of much-needed practice as DPS in a raid environment. And some personal validation as I was #1 most attempts and consistently hitting 230k+ as Unholy. I've definitely got the hang of it for single target but we'll see how fights like Il'gynoth go.

Doubt I'll get in the raid tonight because it's Free Loot Day and everyone will show up. They might be counting on me to tank the B team raid on Saturday as well.

Ark

ONE POT

It's hideously disgusting. I'm trying to level my rogue to 110 as quickly as possible just so I have a herb/alch alt so that I can make my own flasks & pots.

Mupod

I thought my 30 flasks and 50 potions would last longer than they have been. I thought I was over-prepared but I probably should have been buying starlight rose earlier than I was. It's minimum 170g each on Burning Blade, and usually higher.

My druid is herbalism/alchemy but I simply do not have the time to get him caught up.

erawsd

I absolutely hate all the artificial time gating this expansion has.

You have to wait because fuck you. I decided you have to wait 5 days for each AK level, instead of giving you something meaningful to do to obtain this, you just have to wait.

Lets be honest though, since this is an MMO, if it wasnt time gates then itd just be some other sink such as farming thousands of mobs, ultra low drop rate items, dailies, ect that works out to a very similar time investment. Professions are a good example. They finally removed the time gates theyve enforced since TBC and just replaced with with a huge grind since crafted items now have very high material costs while gatherers get a lot less per node unless they get a quest item with an abysmally low drop rate.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't personally understand the appeal to levelling Disc (or holy?). With Disc, I realize it's tank appeal, essentially- you feel unkillable and less fragile. But the dps output doesn't compare to shadow, does it? All you really want while leveling is to kill shit fast.

I just did 1-60 as disc. I don't even get through a "rotation" of the 3 offensive spells as disc for most enemies while leveling. I am running towards the soon to be dead body to loot as I am casting Penance since it is most likely going to die. This is with questing gear, no heirlooms. My experience with shadow is the longer ramp up time sucks for questing. If the fights lasted longer than a few seconds it might be better.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ran a Court of Stars where nobody got any loot.
That's weird.

That sounds very unlikely. My first guess would be that everyone already did it this week, since the reset doesn't happen for another couple of hours?

Pickman

Did a mythic "carry" run in HoV last night for my +2 keystone.

Dudes were talking big game, insisting we'd get 3 chests no problem.

Pulls 3 packs and stormcaller during the beer hall run to Fenrir. Wipes group, wastes time.

Miss the 3 chest by 40 seconds.

I'm tied for DPS with their big dick 861 DH. I'm an 849 Unholy DK.

Apathy

I thought my 30 flasks and 50 potions would last longer than they have been. I thought I was over-prepared but I probably should have been buying starlight rose earlier than I was. It's minimum 170g each on Burning Blade, and usually higher.

My druid is herbalism/alchemy but I simply do not have the time to get him caught up.

Hey another burning blade person, cool.

Yeah I live that starlight rise are expensive, I can make some money after I farm. Having rank 3 of rose and rank 3 of deadly grace/seventh demon/int flask is so nice. Making money to fuel my wow time.

Mupod

Court of Stars only has 3 bosses so we usually don't get a lot of loot out of there. I don't think I've gotten any drops in the two times I've run the regular version, but the others in my group always get something.

Did a mythic "carry" run in HoV last night for my +2 keystone.

Dudes were talking big game, insisting we'd get 3 chests no problem.

Pulls 3 packs and stormcaller during the beer hall run to Fenrir. Wipes group, wastes time.

Miss the 3 chest by 40 seconds.

I'm tied for DPS with their big dick 861 DH. I'm an 849 Unholy DK.

As I usually tank I'm still a little hazy on how Unholy DK does AOE in dungeons. I'm always rune starved and runic power capped. I've had some luck bringing Epidemic and I've heard that the talent which causes your pet to put festering wounds on things is effective as well. I mean I've yet to have someone beat me on DPS in a dungeon but I know I can do it better.

Hey another burning blade person, cool.

Yeah I live that starlight rise are expensive, I can make some money after I farm. Having rank 3 of rose and rank 3 of deadly grace/seventh demon/int flask is so nice. Making money to fuel my wow time.

If you're old timey Burning Blade-US you may know me as Mu.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Part of the issue right now is that it feels like Alchemy is the only profession that matters. The base ilvl and obliterum required to get crafted items from other professions up to a level where they even compete with world quest gear makes them largely not worth worrying about at all. The ideas/mechanics behind crafting in Legion are solid, but they definitely need to do some serious tweaking to sort of even things out.

Like, why spend thousands (even tens of thousands) of gold worth of mats just to get a crafted item to 835 or so when you can easily get the same or better from most other sources?

Tenebrous

Part of the issue right now is that it feels like Alchemy is the only profession that matters. The base ilvl and obliterum required to get crafted items from other professions up to a level where they even compete with world quest gear makes them largely not worth worrying about at all. The ideas/mechanics behind crafting in Legion are solid, but they definitely need to do some serious tweaking to sort of even things out.

Like, why spend thousands (even tens of thousands) of gold worth of mats just to get a crafted item to 835 or so when you can easily get the same or better from most other sources?

Because it's instant. I can get any freshly leveled character from zero to heroic raid ready in about 10 minutes of AH browsing.

Mupod

I made enough selling Demonsteel Armguards to fund months of raiding even at these insane prices. I just don't wanna spend the gold.

Apathy

Court of Stars only has 3 bosses so we usually don't get a lot of loot out of there. I don't think I've gotten any drops in the two times I've run the regular version, but the others in my group always get something.

As I usually tank I'm still a little hazy on how Unholy DK does AOE in dungeons. I'm always rune starved and runic power capped. I've had some luck bringing Epidemic and I've heard that the talent which causes your pet to put festering wounds on things is effective as well. I mean I've yet to have someone beat me on DPS in a dungeon but I know I can do it better.

If you're old timey Burning Blade-US you may know me as Mu.

Mu the druid from aof?

It wasn't that long ago I was paying 12k for wrists for a quest or 5k gold for fel hide also for a mandatory quest. I want to make my money back. This is the only time alchemy really makes back money as every day a new character reaches 110 and can start adding herbs to the market or takes away a buyer cause they start farming for themselves. Raiding at the beginning is expensive, always has been. Prices are just inflated because of supply and demand, the fact rose aren't 100% until rank 3 and cause garrisons+leveling+wq can give (gave) you so much gold.

Pickman

Spec into Ebon Plague (Virulent Plague does all the dmg in half the time) and Epidemic. Activate your undead minion's beast mode, Cast Outbreak, drop D&D under the majority of mobs, use the Scourge Strike hits all targets during D&D if you're standing in it effect, and when you're down to two runes, burn back to back Epidemics, then back to Scourge Strike until your D&D runs out. Reapply your Outbreak, and use Epidemic on CD (now roughly every 8 sec as it rebuilds charge), peppering in Festering Strikes on the highest HP mob and using Scourge Strike to build your RP in order to reduce your CD on your pet, and rinse and repeat. Usually maintain around 390k on a pack of 4.

After today, that won't matter though. I'll be going Frost on all trash, and Unholy for single target on bosses.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Because it's instant. I can get any freshly leveled character from zero to heroic raid ready in about 10 minutes of AH browsing.

I mean, I agree that it's nice that the option is there, but compared to the ability to gear up as a 'choice' via buying gear rather than WQ farming over a couple weeks, or the 'necessity' that is pots and flasks, and it's definitely skewed in favor of herb/alch right now in terms of which profession is coming out 'ahead'.

The obliterum forge was an attempt at keeping other profs somewhat relevant, but the big initial spike is gone now that all the raiders are in EN and either already have 850 crafted or are getting Mythic+ gear.

Mupod

Mu the druid from aof?

Yes. Also Eyelaser Ninja Pirates. On my DK of the same name as my GAF account at the moment. AOF doesn't seem to be doing much this expansion - Gnor and Zyz were leading our Mythic efforts in WoD and they are MIA.

Most of my crew are in Hero now. Some old faces in here that it's been fun to play alongside again.

Rizzi

That sounds very unlikely. My first guess would be that everyone already did it this week, since the reset doesn't happen for another couple of hours?

I can't think of why anyone would do it if they'd already done it this week though. Nobody grabbed any quest items or anything. We literally all got blood of sargeras and the artifact power items from all three bosses.

Apathy

Yes. Also Eyelaser Ninja Pirates. On my DK of the same name as my GAF account at the moment. AOF doesn't seem to be doing much this expansion - Gnor and Zyz were leading our Mythic efforts in WoD and they are MIA.

Most of my crew are in Hero now. Some old faces in here that it's been fun to play alongside again.

Yeah during wod zyz tried but seem to be ultimately for nought. I've seen some old faces come back, Whitehorse is back playing with people from ut with omok(belfor)

Top Bottom