• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

cdyhybrid

Patch is making me feel real confident about the longterm output for this expac.

Also, in the vein of "Journeyman's Boots feel slower," (EQ reference, who gets it?!).

Doesn't feel like the +crit works after a colossus smash.
Played EQ for years :D started in Kunark!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh just had a WQ I hadnt seen before, with some haunted vineward

Started playing, started a Paladin on Stormbreak. I'm currently level 9, and just questing along. Is there a specific quest line I guess I should be following? SWTOR kinda made this super easy for me with Class and Planet quest lines. Here I don't really know what I should be following, as dumb as that sounds. Doesn't help that a lot of stuff is kind of spread out so I'm finding myself running back and forth longish distances between quests.

What faction and race? Out of the races that can be Paladins, the Human, Dwarf and Tauren aren't going to have the strongest narrative experience per say. The Blood Elf and Draenei starting areas have kind of self-contained narratives for the first two zones. I like Eversong Woods, the Ghostlands, Azuremyst and Bloodmyst Isles, but some people find them clunky and dated. I know Ghostlands gets some hate. Draenei and Blood Elf Paladins get a little extra flavour, they each get access to a unique tabbard on top of the two class quests you'll eventually encounter for a class specific helmet and weapon.

As a SWTOR player you might enjoy the Worgen and Forsaken starting experiences the most. The Forsaken have a particularly long narrative thread that weaves through the starter area in Death Knell/Tirisfal all the way up to the Western Plaguelands.

For the most part the older zones have a self-contained narrative, there isn't an over-arching thread pushing you through zone to zone. And some older zones are better than others. In some cases they're better experienced by a particular faction, like Stone Talon Mountain as a Horde.

scy

Half the hotfixes need to be hotfixed, well played.

Patch is making me feel real confident about the longterm output for this expac.

Also, in the vein of "Journeyman's Boots feel slower," (EQ reference, who gets it?!).

Doesn't feel like the +crit works after a colossus smash.

casting SoW EC tunnel 5pp

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
BREAKING NEWS: EMERALD NIGHTMARE RAID QUESTS

With the opening of the first wing of the Emerald Nightmare in Raid Finder difficulty this week, we wanted to mention that the quest items for Essence of Power and In Nightmares do not drop in LFR. The description for these quests will be updated with an upcoming patch and they are meant to be completed on normal difficulty or higher.

lel. People on the forums already dreadfully upset that a purely cosmetic optional artifact appearance is not obtainable by sleeping your way through LFR.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lel. People on the forums already dreadfully upset that a purely cosmetic optional artifact appearance is not obtainable by sleeping your way through LFR.

if its purely cosmetic why wouldnt they be able to get it then? You would think the LEET (or however you young kids spell it these days) gear would be the thing they couldnt get

Lanrutcon

Blizzard 2016: still absolute cocks, but now with even worse hotfixes and balance.

They should just grow a pair and remove LFR, Archeology, Pet Battling and Flying instead of this passive aggressive whining and non-support they've made a habit of.

Rhaknar

Same reason you can't get Mythic tier appearances in LFR?

you cant get mythic tier appearances...anyware except mythic tier tho, thats not exactly the same. So I guess we can now also assume (until proven contrary) that the hidden artifact skins for certain classes also wont drop in LFR like Druid from Ursoc or Monk from the dragons? If so, is that also fine?

I mean, if you think thats fine, that is your right, it is your opinion of course. Just leave room for people to have a different one :)

I do think that's fine.

alrighty then

cdyhybrid

you cant get mythic tier appearances...anyware except mythic tier tho, thats not exactly the same. So I guess we can now also assume (until proven contrary) that the hidden artifact skins for certain classes also wont drop in LFR like Druid from Ursoc or Monk from the dragons? If so, is that also fine?

I mean, if you think thats fine, that is your right, it is your opinion of course. Just leave room for people to have a different one :)
I do think that's fine.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
. So I guess we can now also assume (until proven contrary) that the hidden artifact skins for certain classes also wont drop in LFR like Druid from Ursoc or Monk from the dragons? If so, is that also fine?

Sure? I mean it's fine either way. The difference is that the valorous appearances (the one from the questline) are intended to be a reward for actual organized raiding, but the hidden appearances may not be.

There have always been certain cosmetic rewards tied to organized end-game activities, both PvP and PvE. The valorous artifact appearances aren't a departure from that.

Bizazedo

But just to answer my question: you don't need to beat the timer to get the class hall chest, you just need to finish the run, correct?

Correct.

With the way the quests read and how in WoD you could get items for the Legendary in LFR, I can understand the rage actually. It'd be different if it was clearly stated PRIOR that it wasn't LFR do-able....

...but since it wasn't....

Rhaknar

Sure? I mean it's fine either way. The difference is that the valorous appearances (the one from the questline) are intended to be a reward for actual organized raiding, but the hidden appearances may not be.

There have always been certain cosmetic rewards tied to organized end-game activities, both PvP and PvE. The valorous artifact appearances aren't a departure from that.

if its a reward for organized raiding, why does it start with two mythics?

although this is a moot discussion because neither you will change your mind, nor will I, so lets just leave it at that.

Anoregon

if its a reward for organized raiding, why does it start with two mythics?

although this is a moot discussion because neither you will change your mind, nor will I, so lets just leave it at that.

Mythic dungeons are organized end-game activity. They aren't random queue.

cdyhybrid

Correct.

With the way the quests read and how in WoD you could get items for the Legendary in LFR, I can understand the rage actually. It'd be different if it was clearly stated PRIOR that it wasn't LFR do-able....

...but since it wasn't....
Eh, the legendary ring was pretty much a requirement for any serious end game stuff. An Artifact appearance is different.

Anoregon

Eh, the legendary ring was pretty much a requirement for any serious end game stuff. An Artifact appearance is different.

Also, Legendary cloaks/rings were obtainable in LFR because they wanted an expansion-long carrot to keep subs up across the entire playerbase. Making it normal+ raid only would have defeated that purpose. One model for each artifact doesn't have that kind of weight, so they are more free to lock them behind non-random queue activities.

scy

I feel like it's appropriate considering the rest of the unlock requires Mythic dungeons as well and LFR seems to want to take the spot of "pre-Mythic dungeons" in content level. It's essentially the "group finder / organized" unlock appearance to go with the Class Hall, PvP, and then Hidden one.

Which, to answer the other question, I'd expect the Hidden Artifact skins to merely be gated by the fact they're hidden and not tied to any particular difficulty, group size, etc. or anything of the sort. Which sort of makes the generic "it drops somewhere (after AK X)" kind of bland but still.

But just to answer my question: you don't need to beat the timer to get the class hall chest, you just need to finish the run, correct?

Yes, that was from a "completed but did not beat the timer" run.

Bizazedo

Also, Legendary cloaks/rings were obtainable in LFR because they wanted an expansion-long carrot to keep subs up across the entire playerbase. Making it normal+ raid only would have defeated that purpose. One model for each artifact doesn't have that kind of weight, so they are more free to lock them behind non-random queue activities.

You guys are missing the point (and I don't even disagree with you, btw). It's the perception. The quest didn't say it needed Normal or higher plus past experience with powerful items being given through questlines doable in LFR = rage.

cdyhybrid

You guys are missing the point (and I don't even disagree with you, btw). It's the perception. The quest didn't say it needed Normal or higher plus past experience with powerful items being given through questlines doable in LFR = rage.
No, I get it. I just don't agree :p

Anoregon

That's fair, the quests should have clearly noted they require normal or above from the get go so people wouldn't at least be surprised about it now. They have done that sort of thing before, like with Shadowmourne quests noting they can only be done on 25 player.

Rhaknar

seriosu end game stuff that these "LOL CASUALS" probably wouldnt do, as opposed to a cosmetic skin that they would actually use and enjoy.

Im raiding sunday with some friends luckily, not anything serious, but probably enough to get the items. I have a good friend with kids and a cunt of a job, he literally only has like 1 hour a day to play if that. He does LFR, he is not a mouth breathing idiot casual like some people like to adress LFR players. He simply cannot raid at all. I did the mythic parts with him because you whip those out in 30mins each, perfect for him.

He is gutted that he cant do the quest now. But hey, lets all laugh at the casuals.

cdyhybrid

seriosu end game stuff that these "LOL CASUALS" probably wouldnt do, as opposed to a cosmetic skin that they would actually use and enjoy.

Im raiding sunday with some friends luckily, not anything serious, but probably enough to get the items. I have a good friend with kids and a cunt of a job, he literally only has like 1 hour a day to play if that. He does LFR, he is not a mouth breathing idiot casual like some people like to adress LFR players. He simply cannot raid at all. I did the mythic parts with him because you whip those out in 30mins each, perfect for him.

He is gutted that he cant do the quest now. But hey, lets all laugh at the casuals.
You need to relax. This isn't "lol casuals", this is literally how it's worked since raid bosses started dropping mounts.

You can PUG Normal raids more easily than ever, since now you can outgear them to the point of facerolling it before ever stepping foot inside. Crafting, WF/TF, Mythic+...

Rhaknar

You need to relax. This isn't "lol casuals", this is literally how it's worked since raid bosses started dropping mounts.

You can PUG Normal raids more easily than ever, since now you can outgear them to the point of facerolling it before ever stepping foot inside. Crafting, WF/TF, Mythic+...

im relaxed dude, this whole conversation LITERALLY started with Anoregon going "lol those casuals..." and you say this isnt "lol casuals" :)

ok he said people not casuals ^_^

Which is strange since he plays Marvel Heroes, the most casual game ever made in the existance of games. And he likes it too. Thats right Ano, im outting you mofo! :p

I don't know why having a job and kids makes you think someone's entitled to everything in WoW

hes not entiteled, like other have said the quest mentioned nothing about LFR not working, he was looking forward to it, now he isnt, thats it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why having a job and kids makes you think someone's entitled to everything in WoW

also levnatus seems bugged for loot. first character did it got loot and could bonus roll it. second two didnt get loot and cant bonus roll it

Maledict

This is a really stupid change. The quest doesn't require a raid for other sections, it doesn't tell you it requires a raid, and there's absolutely no need to gate it like this. For an expansion where they have tried their hardest to ensure that your DON'T have to raid to gear up and progress why the hell would they put a cosmetic option behind raiding only?

cdyhybrid

This is a really stupid change. The quest doesn't require a raid for other sections, it doesn't tell you it requires a raid, and there's absolutely no need to gate it like this. For an expansion where they have tried their hardest to ensure that your DON'T have to raid to gear up and progress why the hell would they put a cosmetic option behind raiding only?
... You don't need to raid to gear up which makes it easier to do real raids.

Anoregon

Which is strange since he plays Marvel Heroes, the most casual game ever made in the existance of games. And he likes it too. Thats right Ano, im outting you mofo! :p

I feel like you think you are making a point that you aren't actually making. Is the implication that I like two very dissimilar games but it's weird that I don't have the same sort of commitment/content expectations out of both of them? That seems pretty silly, rhak.

I mean it sucks that your buddy is bummed out, but it's the nature of the beast. There is absolutely no problem with some cosmetic rewards being locked behind non-lfr content. There never was before, and there isn't now. Not every piece of content (or potential reward from content) has to be accessible to all players.

It's dumb the quests weren't explicit about the requirement from the start, but the actual design intent is not inherently problematic at all.

Rizzi

I respecced to frost on my mage. It seems fun, but man I do shit for damage. Wish there was a way to suck the artifact power out of my other weapons or something.

v1perz53

I mean, I get what you're saying but if you think Normal mode Emerald Nightmare is any harder than LFR I don't know what to say. It just ends up being mildly more time consuming having to find a group in the group finder that doesn't require you to link your Xavius kill to get into a Xavius normal group as opposed to just queueing for it. I did nightmare normal first week with a group where half the DPS were doing ~100k DPS, and not one second was spent explaining any of the fights, and I think we wiped twice all night. I'm fine with things that require you to do it on a harder difficulty to obtain, but calling Normal harder than LFR shows some disconnect from the game. the only thing harder about normal mode is getting a group that won't decline your application. And because this game is terrible at balancing needs for each role, I have to do normal as a healer or DPS when I prefer tanking, because there are a million tanks once you get up to "organized" level raiding and only 2 spots per group. So the only way to play what I find fun in normal is to make my own groups, further adding to the time factor, or just sleep through normal playing my DPS spec I don't like with a lv 12 artifact. At least in LFR I can queue as the spec I want to play.

But I think my main issue is that the way they locked the appearances is kind of silly. So the blue version of appearance 3 requires doing normal/heroic raids, the green version requires a lv 15 mythic+ keystone, the red version requires mythic dungeon achieves, and the orange version requires.. doing 8 different world bosses. I think the system would've been more meaningful if entire appearances were gated behind similar "hard" content, instead of telling people they can get the appearance they want solo, just not in their favorite color. Takes away from the ability to show off a color as some measure of ability, because there's no way 99% of players would know my red form was from doing a +15 keystone vs someone who just did the world boss every week for 8 weeks.

Pickman

I respecced to frost on my mage. It seems fun, but man I do shit for damage. Wish there was a way to suck the artifact power out of my other weapons or something.

You can easily grind up to lvl 12 or 13 artifact just by doing your daily WQs for artifact power.

Mupod

Oddly specific question but are any boss adds in EN susceptible to stun or fears? Trying to think of uses for Sephuz's Secret.

Anoregon

I mean, I get what you're saying but if you think Normal mode Emerald Nightmare is any harder than LFR I don't know what to say.

Yes? I mean, unless there is a strict break from the LFR precedent that has existed in every previous raid, LFR bosses like Xavius will have mechanics that are significantly neutered or outright removed compared to normal. It doesn't matter that normal is itself "easy", its at least a version of the fight tuned with the expectation of an organized group of people communicating with each other. LFR isn't.

cdyhybrid

I mean, I get what you're saying but if you think Normal mode Emerald Nightmare is any harder than LFR I don't know what to say. It just ends up being mildly more time consuming having to find a group in the group finder that doesn't require you to link your Xavius kill to get into a Xavius normal group as opposed to just queueing for it. I did nightmare normal first week with a group where half the DPS were doing ~100k DPS, and not one second was spent explaining any of the fights, and I think we wiped twice all night. I'm fine with things that require you to do it on a harder difficulty to obtain, but calling Normal harder than LFR shows some disconnect from the game. the only thing harder about normal mode is getting a group that won't decline your application.

But I think my main issue is that the way they locked the appearances is kind of silly. So the blue version of appearance 3 requires doing normal/heroic raids, the green version requires a lv 15 mythic+ keystone, the red version requires mythic dungeon achieves, and the orange version requires.. doing 8 different world bosses. I think the system would've been more meaningful if entire appearances were gated behind similar "hard" content, instead of telling people they can get the appearance they want solo, just not in their favorite color. Takes away from the ability to show off a color as some measure of ability, because there's no way 99% of players would know my red form was from doing a +15 keystone vs someone who just did the world boss every week for 8 weeks.
Normal is harder than LFR. Saying it isn't is either some impressive mental gymnastics or a bad attempt at pumping yourself up.

Rhaknar

I feel like you think you are making a point that you aren't actually making. Is the implication that I like two very dissimilar games but it's weird that I don't have the same sort of commitment/content expectations out of both of them? That seems pretty silly, rhak.

I mean it sucks that your buddy is bummed out, but it's the nature of the beast. There is absolutely no problem with some cosmetic rewards being locked behind non-lfr content. There never was before, and there isn't now. Not every piece of content (or potential reward from content) has to be accessible to all players.

It's dumb the quests weren't explicit about the requirement from the start, but the actual design intent is not inherently problematic at all.

im not making a point, im making a joke. Jesus dude :(

Rhaknar

Nithogg and Levantus

so the reddit post that up to 3 world bosses would be up at a time was correct?

edit: oh and fuck this warlock campaign quest to get 100 demon blood >_>

Anoregon

im not making a point, im making a joke. Jesus dude :(

ok

and to be clear, I have no problem with "the casuals", but I do have a problem with the subset of folks who always complain whenever they aren't able to do something via the lowest effort version possible. I feel the same way about people who complain about mythic-only dungeons existing. You have half the player base waxing nostalgic about the old days when you couldn't queue for anything and heroic dungeons took 3 hours, and the other half who want everything in the game to be attainable via a queue with very little effort. The current model is at least an attempt at a middle ground.

edit: oh and fuck this warlock campaign quest to get 100 demon blood >_>

Theres an area in northeastish valsharah full of very fast spawning grells (one of the furbolg areas) that makes this quest much less painful. They technically aren't considered demons but they drop blood.

Top Bottom