• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Tenebrous

so the reddit post that up to 3 world bosses would be up at a time was correct?

edit: oh and fuck this warlock campaign quest to get 100 demon blood >_>

Pretty sure you can get all those from the mobs near Illdari Stand. I know I had to get something similar for my Warrior quest, and AoEing down that spawning bonanza made it pretty quick.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty sure you can get all those from the mobs near Illdari Stand. I know I had to get something similar for my Warrior quest, and AoEing down that spawning bonanza made it pretty quick.

thats what I did on the Priest for her quest but man... man /hissyfit

v1perz53

Yes? I mean, unless there is a strict break from the LFR precedent that has existed in every previous raid, LFR bosses like Xavius will have mechanics that are significantly neutered or outright removed compared to normal. It doesn't matter that normal is itself "easy", its at least a version of the fight tuned with the expectation of an organized group of people communicating with each other. LFR isn't.

I mean, a quick glance at the dungeon journal would show you that in this expansion, Normal is the mode where they removed the mechanics from Heroic, and LFR and Normal have the same mechanics. They might be easier on LFR to handle, but it didn't seem that way when I did it.

Normal is harder than LFR. Saying it isn't is either some impressive mental gymnastics or a bad attempt at pumping yourself up.

I did normal, and I did LFR. LFR was "harder". They were both easy enough that I could've watched a movie while playing. LFR isn't inherently harder, but the normal groups on group finder require 845+ ilvl on the low end, with many asking for 850+, while LFR is 825+ to queue. There is a 15 ilvl drop difference between the two modes, but a 20+ ilvl difference in "requirements" to do it. Every boss I did on both Normal and LFR, the Normal boss died quicker, less people died, and we wiped less. All the mechanics were basically the same, and ignored in similar ways.

LFR is tuned lower than Normal, but unless people stop being so picky with their ilvl requirements, Normal becomes "easier" because you are required to almost outgear the content to get invited and the players applying are often better because the worst players are too gun shy to apply to normal groups.

So yes, the same ability does more damage on Normal, but it is very possible that on LFR (which has all the same mechanics as normal) every ability will be more deadly, every boss will die slower, and there will be more wipes than on normal. I think that qualifies as some type of "harder", unless all you mean by harder is "boss has more HP, abilities do more damage"

cdyhybrid

I mean, a quick glance at the dungeon journal would show you that in this expansion, Normal is the mode where they removed the mechanics from Heroic, and LFR and Normal have the same mechanics. They might be easier on LFR to handle, but it didn't seem that way when I did it.

I did normal, and I did LFR. LFR was "harder". They were both easy enough that I could've watched a movie while playing. LFR isn't inherently harder, but the normal groups on group finder require 845+ ilvl on the low end, with many asking for 850+, while LFR is 825+ to queue. Every boss I did on both Normal and LFR, the Normal boss died quicker, less people died, and we wiped less. All the mechanics were basically the same, and ignored in similar ways.

LFR is tuned lower than Normal, but unless people stop being so picky with their ilvl requirements, Normal becomes "easier" because you are required to almost outgear the content to get invited and the players applying are often better because the worst players are too gun shy to apply to normal groups.

So yes, the same ability does more damage on Normal, but it is very possible that on LFR (which has all the same mechanics as normal) every ability will be more deadly, every boss will die slower, and there will be more wipes than on normal. I think that qualifies as some type of "harder", unless all you mean by harder is "boss has more HP, abilities do more damage"

Like I said, impressive mental gymnastics.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

LFR is objectively easier because things are easier to kill and do less damage to you. Everything else is just complaining about other (random) players not being very good, which has nothing to do with actual raid mechanics.

Like, of course normal is less of a headache than LFR if you have a raid full of well-geared people that know the encounters, versus an LFR raid full of people at the minimum lvl to queue who have never glanced at dungeon journal. That doesn't make normal "easier." It just means the social dynamics of WoW are... less than super.

v1perz53

I think the impressive mental gymnastics is being reductionist to the point where the only way you're able to define something as harder is if it does more damage and has more HP, regardless of any other factors.

LFR is objectively easier because things are easier to kill and do less damage to you. Everything else is just complaining about other (random) players not being very good, which has nothing to do with actual raid mechanics.

Like, of course normal is less of a headache than LFR if you have a raid full of well-geared people that know the encounters, versus an LFR raid full of people at the minimum lvl to queue who have never glanced at dungeon journal. That doesn't make normal "easier." It just means the social dynamics of WoW are... less than super.

Same as above. Things are easier to kill and do less damage to you if the same player is doing the same content, but that isn't the case. You can't ignore the factors that actually exist just because it is more convenient.

But this is a dumb argument, and nothing will come of it. I did Normal and LFR. LFR was objectively harder by some metrics, and objectively easier by others. Depends which ones you choose to count.

cdyhybrid

I think the impressive mental gymnastics is being reductionist to the point where the only way you're able to define something as harder is if it does more damage and has more HP, regardless of any other factors.
You're attributing "difficulty" introduced by players to the raid itself.

They are two separate things.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

It's definitely not mental gymnastics to measure something based on its objective qualities versus a constantly changing variable like the quality of the players you may be with in any given run.

i got the kodo and the ram in the same brewfest event

am i god

You have become brew, destroyer of livers.

Anoregon

Legendary item quest progression like MoP cloak/WoD ring should have been decoupled from LFR too.

Not sarcasm.

Eh, I think it was the right thing to do at the time. Giving all players a shiny orange to chase after for a whole expansion is definitely a smart move on the business end, and from a developer standpoint guarantees that the effort you put into making the quest line will be utilized by the most amount of people possible. It's similar reasoning to creating LFR in the first place, as the idea of spending so much time making raids that only a relatively small number of people would step inside was starting to become an issue. Although I feel like WOTLK had pretty high raid participation without it, I remember pugs being super common back in the day.

CHC

Used a coin on the world boss but still nothing. That feeling of being stuck with a green relic (I know I could buy but I don't want to waste 8k for 5 item levels more).

Also GODDAMMIT I keep getting Court of Stars as my Mythic Keystone right off the bat. NOBODY wants to do runs of Court of Stars. It's torture!

Lanrutcon

I really hope the quest to kill Xavius is complete-able in LFR because if not, that is absolute insanity on Blizzard's part.

Insanity. Like...oh, I dunno...artifact power grind and useless world quests and mandatory order halls and mythic not having an LFG tool.

Brace yourself.

Anoregon

I really hope the quest to kill Xavius is complete-able in LFR because if not, that is absolute insanity on Blizzard's part.

Is that the Nightfallen quest? I would expect that one to be LFR-able since it is largely just a solo questline, but fucked if I know. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

scy

Same question but for Frost DKs.

So far, it's a nice upgrade in cleave / AoE situations. Single target is better but still feels like it trails behind others but I haven't tried too many alterations to the spec (plus completely non-optimal stats, trinkets, etc.). Most of my DK's AP / gear is towards Blood so it skews things a bit.

ohhhhhhhhh fuck yeah we are

edit: later I will be setting up mythic groups for Saturday

Likewise, if people want to be doing things during the week on NA Horde side, I'm nearly always down for tanking (or DPSing) runs.

Strimei

Insanity. Like...oh, I dunno...artifact power grind and useless world quests and mandatory order halls and mythic not having an LFG tool.

Brace yourself.

I'm holding out hope but the stupid last minute change they announced for the other quests doesn't make me optimistic...

Is that the Nightfallen quest? I would expect that one to be LFR-able since it is largely just a solo questline, but fucked if I know. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Yeah its the one that gates getting Good Suramaritan and everything else that's connected with it (including, eventually, flying).

RPGCrazied

Wow, my first legendary from a world quest. Are world quests ever going to reward pets or mounts?

Wo_WScrn_Shot_092716_153409.jpg

Anoregon

Is LFR and Normal EM on separate lockouts?

Everything is separate lockouts. You can do LFR, Normal. Heroic, and Mythic all in the same week if you hate yourself enough.

Anoregon

I guess so? I've been playing for weeks non stop, so I'd say its practically rare. Though they did said your chances increase over time to get one.

Wait, just to clarify: Did you get the legendary from a single world quest, or from the daily emissary cache after doing the 4 for that zone?

Anoregon

Wow, I had no idea that was possible. Thought they could only come from dungeon/raid bosses and emissary caches.

Either way, grats!

People get upset over the dumbest shit in this game, of course there are people that get mad about hidden artifact appearances being obtainable only through higher level dungeons and raids. Just had a tank ragequit over someone else Needing a trash green in Black Fathom Depths that they'd replace in 20 minutes with their next run but instead they took the deserter debuff and we pushed through the nothing content without them. If you play with random people enough in this game, join random guilds or actually leave trade and gen chat enabled, nothing that creeps up on the official or fan forums should be surprising.

Every activity has to have its own unique rewards. I have no problem with mythic raids having gear, trinkets, hidden artifact appearances and what not locked behind them and I don't raid beyond the LFR gongshow.

Anoregon

Are World Quests supposed to give your bodyguard XP? Doesn't seem to be that way...

I've been noticing a lack of bodyguard xp from quests recently too. Not sure what's up.

Top Bottom