• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

CHC

Sept 28th Hotfix said:
Tomes of the Tranquil Mind obtained from "In the Blink of an Eye" are now Bind-on-pickup.

I think I'm the guy who caused them to fix this. I sent myself sooooo many of those from class trials.....

Rizzi

I started to level my demon hunter, got to the azurewing repose in azsuna and just kind of went blergh and logged out.
I do not have the energy to do the levelling zones for a third time then a) doing the order hall campaign, b) starting the grind for artifact power and c) ALL OF SURAMAR. Fuck Suramar.

zarnold56

So I have done the withered training a couple of times and I find it pretty tedious. Is there a grand reward for doing it or is it just rep and artifact power items? Seems kind of worhtless. I have killed Dro now twice with 1 withered left as a guardian tank.

Lanrutcon

So I have done the withered training a couple of times and I find it pretty tedious. Is there a grand reward for doing it or is it just rep and artifact power items? Seems kind of worhtless. I have killed Dro now twice with 1 withered left as a guardian tank.

You have a roar that disorients and a talented stun. You also have a root. All three of those things shuts down Dro's big AOE ability.

There are artifact skins, lots of rep, a pet, a toy, a sanctuary upgrade and a mount from Withered Training.

Ark

There's a chance of getting the quest item to get the Lothian Prowler mount. I need that mount in my life so badly.

Also, I still can't believe Blizzard haven't fixed the 'glyph of the blazing saviour' bug yet. It's driving me insane, I bought that thing for like 2.5k.

CHC

Wut? Maw of Souls is the easiest run now after they nerfed Helya into the ground.

Court of Stars is the one you really don't want. I've gotten it twice now. People barely run that dungeon regularly, let alone as a carry group. I think it's a super cool place actually, it just isn't that conducive to farming because of the whole disguise / party event and the relatively hard final boss.

Sarcasm

You have a roar that disorients and a talented stun. You also have a root. All three of those things shuts down Dro's big AOE ability.

There are artifact skins, lots of rep, a pet, a toy, a sanctuary upgrade and a mount from Withered Training.

Roots work for you? What!

Mupod

It's fun once you get the hang of it. I burned through the whole thing in a couple minutes last night and I didn't even go in with 2000 mana.

You can get epic/legendary follower equipment, and hidden artifact appearances (for some classes). Rep was the main incentive when I was still struggling to get the two Nightborne instances unlocked.

My only problem with it is how buggy it is. It's very apparent once you've got a fully upgraded team and just want to get through as fast as possible - they are constantly hitching up on objects and getting stuck. If you get too far away they despawn. Putting them in damage boost mode will pull enemies through floors and walls. They fall through the floor sometimes. And of course if the server crashes you're locked out for 3 days and lose all loot/progress from your current run.

I still enjoyed the roguelike aspect of it and gradually expanding my army. I hope this isn't a one time thing and they work out the kinks + make a way harder version with better rewards.

Court of Stars is the one you really don't want. I've gotten it twice now. People barely run that dungeon regularly, let alone as a carry group. I think it's a super cool place actually, it just isn't that conducive to farming because of the whole disguise / party event and the relatively hard final boss.

Yeah see my previous post on this page about that. The final boss can be literally impossible depending on your gear levels and whether you have those zone buffs available. Everything up to the area after Gerdo seems fine and balanced but then it gets horrible.

It seems like such a great twist on a dungeon that'd be fun for speed running. But the scaling on some of the mobs in there is super out of whack.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My guild had to put off raiding this week a couple of nights so we are hopping in tonight. Hopefully the recent apparent drop rate buff of legendaries in raids will apply to our so far orange-less guild.

Rizzi

What's the addon that puts a message in chat if someone can trade an item that is an ilvl upgrade for someone in the party?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Arcane is doing a lot better than before but I still feel like the spec's design has a bit of an identity crisis. Is the spec ST, AOE, or both? During burst phase we're casting only single target spells (Arcane Blast and Arcane Missiles), but during the conserve phase now that NT-Quickening is dead, it's mandatory to cast Arcane Barrage which does poor ST damage but scales in damage with the number of enemies it hits (and has a gold artefact talent that only takes effect when it hits two or more targets). Since blast is presently the only way to drop Arcane Charges during a fight, this means that we're forced into casting a spell that's intended for AOE encounters during the longest part of our ST rotation (and we're not doing it because it's good, but rather, because it's the only way we can avoid going OOM).

The poor damage of the Conserve portion of Arcane's Rotation imo is the reason why it's currently still only posting middling numbers even after the hotfix, and part of the chief problem with Conserve is its necessarily using an AOE spell on a single target (long cast times and having to move a lot is part of the problem too, but one which is at least somewhat lessened by improvements in skill). This feels to me a bit like if Shadow Priests only had Mind Sear as their filler spell instead of Mind Flay; there's an obvious 'missing spell' which covers a mandatory part of their rotation that's intended for single-target encounters.

Robin64

This made me chuckle.

JSfyADg.png

Lanrutcon

Man, most of the progression guilds didn't even bother bringing any Warlocks for fights other than Dragons of Cleave and WeNeedPortalsToCrossWebs.

Trickster

I must be one of the few people that actually really likes Suramar :S

Surumar is great in many ways. However all the positives for the zones gets overshadowed by the terrible choice of gatting the zone so heavily behind the ridiculous rep grind. WQ's mostly giving 75 or less rep is ridiculous, and the kirin tor rep rewards only being half when you choose the nightfallen faction makes it feel like Blizzard are trolling players.

mclem

Man, most of the progression guilds didn't even bother bringing any Warlocks for fights other than Dragons of Cleave and WeNeedPortalsToCrossWebs.

OhgodI'manidiot. Oh well, was useful to get practice.

Surumar is great in many ways. However all the positives for the zones gets overshadowed by the terrible choice of gatting the zone so heavily behind the ridiculous rep grind. WQ's mostly giving 75 or less rep is ridiculous, and the kirin tor rep rewards only being half when you choose the nightfallen faction makes it feel like Blizzard are trolling players.

I really haven't found it *that* bad. In fact, my Nightfallen rep is higher than almost all my other reps (Highmountain's higher still because I'm trying to push that to Exalted). The blue quests in the city tend to be quite quick and particularly lucrative from a rep POV.

That said, I did make a lot of use of the DMF carousel buff last month.

Trickster

OhgodI'manidiot. Oh well, was useful to get practice.

I really haven't found it *that* bad. In fact, my Nightfallen rep is higher than almost all my other reps (Highmountain's higher still because I'm trying to push that to Exalted). The blue quests in the city tend to be quite quick and particularly lucrative from a rep POV.

That said, I did make a lot of use of the DMF carousel buff last month.

Oh my nightfallen rep is also higher than all the other faction. But that's because I wanted access to the dungeons, and to see the gated story content, not to mention that they're gonna add more story to the zones in 7.1, which I'm sure will also be rep gated.

None of the other zones were gated, so even though people are also doing wq's in those zones, it doesn't feel frustrating in the same way, as they don't feel locked out of content like they do in Surumar.

Seriously, Surumar was an amazing zone to arrive in and spend half a day questing in. And then you hit the rep gate, and the fun was transitioned into "do repetitive quests for a week or more to see the next episode of "Surumar weekly""

And then later on you just get strung along. once you hit honored i think it is, you get a quest to get revered, which takes like 2 weeks or something. So you're powering through these absolutely crap quests on a daily basis because you interested in the next part of the Surumar storyline. Then, when you finally hit revered and you're all excited to see the next step, the fucking npc just immediately goes from "come see me once you're revered", to fucking "lol psyche! You actually need to get exalted".

carlsojo

I'm getting kinda burned out on farming with my dual gatherer (and feeding it to my Alch for flasks to sell) but the money is coming in so fast. Up to 1.5million now. Started Legion with about 700k.

I really need to start farming hardcore >_>

scy

Being a DH means the party isn't so bad. Mostly just routing talking to the chatty guys. Spectral sight means cheesing the actual spy hunt which saves a bunch of time.

I'm Exalted on one character and ~16k Revered on another. I don't even do most the WQs anymore and I'll still be done months before they add content to Suramar so it's a bit hard to consider the rep grind that annoying when it comes to the long haul of the zone.

I do think the two dungeons should have been earlier at least, if only for the zone to feel less dead for a good chunk of your rep. And for the quest chains to have more filler (entering Revered to nothing until 7k then 20k is ... awkward at best). The gates aren't so bad, it's mostly the pacing falls apart. If they flesh the place out at every rep level, it'll probably feel a lot smoother to experience.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spectral sight can see the spy? Heh i guess its a Demon yeah

mclem

I do think the two dungeons should have been earlier at least, if only for the zone to feel less dead for a good chunk of your rep. And for the quest chains to have more filler (entering Revered to nothing until 7k then 20k is ... awkward at best). The gates aren't so bad, it's mostly the pacing falls apart. If they flesh the place out at every rep level, it'll probably feel a lot smoother to experience.

I suspect my difference of opinion may be affected by how I paced my progression through the zone - in that I tended to pursue other things, rather than feeling I had to push through the story. After I unlocked Withered Training, I didn't progress through more of the story - even though it was very much available - for over a week (indeed, it'd probably have been longer if I hadn't have started wondering why I was always getting the same world quests, and for the most part always in the west of the zone, except for the occasional undersea survey). I did Blood and Wine after that, and it was like discovering a completely different zone as the tone of the whole place changed - and it opened up regular world quests at 150 rep each.

Suramar worked for me, I guess, because I didn't actively focus on it. I've not had the frustration of feeling blocked - heck, I've always got quest lines available there. I'm 5000/21000 towards exalted and haven't actually done the line to open up the two Mythics yet. Nor have I done the quest line in Felsoul hold, or the one by the flightpoint in the west; I only did the Vrykul one a few days ago. I *did* chase down all the leyline foci early on (and what teleporters weren't story-locked), partially because I was enjoying the exploration and partially because I needed to spend some of my Ancient Mana!

I suspect, in the end: I don't feel like I'm starved for content in Suramar until I pass the rep gates because 'content in Suramar' isn't the frame of reference I'm working with; I'm not getting the frustration because I'm not specifically chasing that goal, more a broader goal of personal progression on multiple fronts.

M.D

I did the raid for the first time yesterday. Well, I did Cenarius and Xaivus before and yesterday we cleared 6 out 7.

I'm not too fond of any of the fights, to be honest. Most of them are pretty easy and not that involved. When I found out I'm not going to tank, one of the main reasons I switched to Outlaw was the defensive mechanics I thought I'd get to use and thus be more involved in the fight, but that hasn't happened yet except for Cenaruis, but at this point it's not even needed there and we have like 5 hunters as well which can deal with the mechanics just fine.
Maybe it will be needed more on heroic, but I'm missing that tonight cause of work.
Anyways, I'm 845 and did hc Black Rook with my friend and all the adds translate to insane damage. I had 441k total dmg while my balance friend who is 856 did 271k. The cleave is real.

lazygecko

Got SweetFX up and running for WoW once again. Usually I don't like things such as LumaSharpen for these sorts of things. But in WoW's case the sharpening works so damn well with the artstyle and really enhances the definition of everything.

Pickman

Got SweetFX up and running for WoW once again. Usually I don't like things such as LumaSharpen for these sorts of things. But in WoW's case the sharpening works so damn well with the artstyle and really enhances the definition of everything.

Which side is which?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm not too fond of any of the fights, to be honest. Most of them are pretty easy and not that involved. When I found out I'm not going to tank, one of the main reasons I switched to Outlaw was the defensive mechanics I thought I'd get to use and thus be more involved in the fight, but that hasn't happened yet except for Cenaruis, but at this point it's not even needed there and we have like 5 hunters as well which can deal with the mechanics just fine.
Maybe it will grow on me but the prospect of running Emerald Nightmare repeatedly is really unexciting to me. None of the fights are really something I want to return to, and the trash/layout just feel tedious.

Pickman

Maybe it will grow on me but the prospect of running Emerald Nightmare repeatedly is really unexciting to me. None of the fights are really something I want to return to, and the trash/layout just feel tedious.

It's the color palette for me. I can't handle all the red and grey and black. There's zero diversity in any of the fights, and I get it's meant to show where the infection of the Nightmare persists, but it's just a very boring and overplayed color set to work with. Look at this compared to the vibrancy of Pandaland raids, and it's night and day.

Sölf

Went with friends into a +4 Neltharion's Lair. We needed a tank, so we searched for a random one.

Tank was an idiot, skipping trash left and right, way too much for actually beating the 100% enemy forces requirement.

Then he pulled the second boss without killing all trash, we wiped.

The he pulled it again, without killing all trash, we added the trash during the fight, managed to beat it - and then he left. That was our Neltharion's Lair +4 Run.

erawsd

I suspect my difference of opinion may be affected by how I paced my progression through the zone - in that I tended to pursue other things, rather than feeling I had to push through the story. After I unlocked Withered Training, I didn't progress through more of the story - even though it was very much available - for over a week (indeed, it'd probably have been longer if I hadn't have started wondering why I was always getting the same world quests, and for the most part always in the west of the zone, except for the occasional undersea survey). I did Blood and Wine after that, and it was like discovering a completely different zone as the tone of the whole place changed - and it opened up regular world quests at 150 rep each.

Suramar worked for me, I guess, because I didn't actively focus on it. I've not had the frustration of feeling blocked - heck, I've always got quest lines available there. I'm 5000/21000 towards exalted and haven't actually done the line to open up the two Mythics yet. Nor have I done the quest line in Felsoul hold, or the one by the flightpoint in the west; I only did the Vrykul one a few days ago. I *did* chase down all the leyline foci early on (and what teleporters weren't story-locked), partially because I was enjoying the exploration and partially because I needed to spend some of my Ancient Mana!

I suspect, in the end: I don't feel like I'm starved for content in Suramar until I pass the rep gates because 'content in Suramar' isn't the frame of reference I'm working with; I'm not getting the frustration because I'm not specifically chasing that goal, more a broader goal of personal progression on multiple fronts.

Yeah, I agree entirely. The rep gating didnt bother me, but thats maybe because I expected there to be some type of gating mechanism. Suramar seems to be modeled after Operation Shieldwall and Isle of Thunder, which both got a ton of praise and were the two zones people would commonly use to trash Tanaan jungle. My guess would be that much of the frustration with Suramar's gating comes from people who want access to the dungeons asap.

It'll be interesting to see reactions to 7.1's expansion of the zone where the story is time gated and unlocks more each week as a lead in to Nighthold's release.

mclem

Sölf;218515079 said:
Tank was an idiot, skipping trash left and right, way too much for actually beating the 100% enemy forces requirement.

Does anyone know a good rule of thumb for pulling enough trash? I keep umming and aahing over it a bit.

An addon which says how much trash (in %age terms, I guess?) is still to come in the instance after each boss might not be a bad idea.

scy

I suspect, in the end: I don't feel like I'm starved for content in Suramar until I pass the rep gates because 'content in Suramar' isn't the frame of reference I'm working with; I'm not getting the frustration because I'm not specifically chasing that goal.

I don't think this is drastically different from my take on the place, really. I made getting the Mythics unlocked a priority but that really just meant "do all the Suramar WQs no matter what." I thought the unlocking of most the content up to that point was pretty good, maybe some earlier to help open up all the World Quest options but you can get a lot of variety on the non-gated quests.

Suramar eventually ramps into the rep with the most opportunities to gain it so I imagine a lot of people will end up with it being one of their front runners even without focusing on it.

CHC

It's the color palette for me. I can't handle all the red and grey and black. There's zero diversity in any of the fights, and I get it's meant to show where the infection of the Nightmare persists, but it's just a very boring and overplayed color set to work with. Look at this compared to the vibrancy of Pandaland raids, and it's night and day.

Yeah not really feeling the red and black palette, and I've also never been a fan of "dream" areas that have no real cohesion and are just a bunch of random assets floating around in a void. Really common trope in games and I think it's rarely visually striking. I do like the spider zone and I also think the zone the Xavius fight takes place is really cool - endless grey void. But on the whole I like raids that have a sense of cohesion and definite place. Hellfire was cool, ICC, etc. That kinda thing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
having awful load times all of a sudden, hmm :/

Epix

Is it typical to have a .5s delay between when I press a spell and when the animation kicks off? My latency is low (25ms) but it's frustrating to watch the game lag in spell input even when I'm running at 90fps and 25ms.

Top Bottom