• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

MMaRsu

Because then they would be "mandatory" and Blizz want people in the new content, not hiding in old stuff.

Relevant is not mandatory?

I dont like the fact that older content is effectively useless when a new expack drops. I understand that they want people to mostly play new content but couldnt they add Garrison to legion regions?

Lanrutcon

You get the rest of your Artifacts at 102, you'll only have a few points in your first Artifact by then, and only if you actually spend the items that give AP.

That's doesn't really solve much. Characters are balanced around having grown artifacts, not fresh ones. You won't know how your spec functions in the grand scheme until you've invested a lot of time into your artifact, at which point it's too late to turn back as you can't get that investment back.

Plus the fact that the major class balance fixes are only happening alongside mythic raiding. You could spend a month on your Affliction artifact, and then the spec gets nerfed into oblivion right as mythic raiding starts. Oops. You're a month behind the curve. Hope you like looking like shit on the dps meters.

Shahadan

I dont like the fact that older content is effectively useless when a new expack drops. I understand that they want people to mostly play new content but couldnt they add Garrison to legion regions?

Anything worth doing is mandatory. People were whining they were forced to mine their garrison every day. People were whining they were forced to log in to check the mission table for rewards and new missions.

So, now Blizzard just make stuff worthless. It's the only way really.
Hell people apparently feel forced to be subbed when there is no content and still whine.

mclem

One thing's struck me about Artifacts: I'm assuming that there are no desirable weapon drops, with the expectation that you will only ever use the Artifact. I can understand if they haven't put a significant number of weapons into loot tables, but it'll be a bit odd if Timewalking gives weapons that won't be desirable, it'll remove one of the attractive elements of Timewalking.

Lanrutcon

One thing's struck me about Artifacts: Are there still desirable weapon drops, or is the assumption that you will only ever use the Artifact? I can understand if they haven't put a significant number of weapons into loot tables, but it'll be a bit odd if Timewalking gives weapons that won't be desirable, it'll remove one of the attractive elements of Timewalking.

Artifacts are in a league of their own: no other weapons compare even remotely. You'll be using artifacts exclusively in Legion.

mclem

Artifacts are in a league of their own: no other weapons compare even remotely. You'll be using artifacts exclusively in Legion.

Yes, I'm aware of that (and rephrased a bit to cover that) - that does mean that it'll be slightly odd to be disappointed when you get a TW drop... and it's a weapon, though!

Raxious

any EU players here that do moose runs? Currently on a ilvl 680 Druid and would love to get that moose mount before it's gone. Unforuntately I don't have the gold or else I would have bought it from others. :(

Robin64

I was using mandatory in the WoW-userbase sense.

But no, they couldn't just add a Garrison to Legion regions, people generally hate the Garrison. Instead they reused the tech and gave Order Halls, which are still Garrisony but an improvement in so many ways.

Lanrutcon

Yes, I'm aware of that (and rephrased a bit to cover that) - that does mean that it'll be slightly odd to be disappointed when you get a TW drop... and it's a weapon, though!

Oh, there aren't any as far as I'm aware. As in: there are no weapons on the majority of loot tables in Legion. I mean like, 99.9% of them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Time walking dungeons are so much harder than WoD heroic?? Like are they tuned to Mythic or something.

MMaRsu

Anything worth doing is mandatory. People were whining they were forced to mine their garrison every day. People were whining they were forced to log in to check the mission table for rewards and new missions.

So, now Blizzard just make stuff worthless. It's the only way really.
Hell people apparently feel forced to be subbed when there is no content and still whine.

People should fucking whine less then shouldnt they? And Blizz shouldnt just bow to their wishes either imo.

You are not forced to check the mission table for rewards and new missions. You can pretty much ignore it cant you? Except for upgrading Garrison to lvl 3.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
You get the rest of your Artifacts at 102, you'll only have a few points in your first Artifact by then, and only if you actually spend the items that give AP.

I had the impression that the smart thing to do would be to commit to one, though, otherwise it's going to take a long time?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and Monk makes 8 100s... dunno why really, just 'cause /shrug. Not bad compared to the one 100 when wod launched >_<

Windwalker was fun, but much like Enhancement shaman, one the initial shine wore off, I cant see myself playing it. If I was going to melee it would be Fury Warrior (or Demon Hunter probably).

think im really done for realsies this time until next week, my 91 Ret pali did nothing for me and the druid and rogue are in their 40s and I dont have a boost anymore (used it on the warrior).

Guess ill save some classes for the next expansion 120 boost I guess lol. Might fuck around with some transmog runs on my hunter and warrior until next week

edit: meh best Hunter tier is 13 by far, no way I can solo that tho ;_;

Tacitus_

I had the impression that the smart thing to do would be to commit to one, though, otherwise it's going to take a long time?

Yeah, you should choose a spec and focus on it until you can research artifact knowledge from your class hall. Knowledge multiplies your AP gains so you can then catch up your other specs to a reasonable level.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Yeah, you should choose a spec and focus on it until you can research artifact knowledge from your class hall. Knowledge multiplies your AP gains so you can then catch up your other specs to a reasonable level.

I see. Maybe I'll just pick my favorite specs (Frost DK and Affliction Lock) first and if they underperform i'll just start catching up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I see. Maybe I'll just pick my favorite specs (Frost DK and Affliction Lock) first and if they underperform i'll just start catching up.

or you can just play whatever spec you like and not worry about the 5% difference or whatever it ends up being, unless you are in a top 100 guild or something

edit: looking at the warrior sets on atlas loot, think T6 is still my fave tbh

Milennia

If you care about performance then those are two specs you should be avoiding like the plague unless you pray for some massive buffs during heroic week.

Does AP cost scale up PER WEAPON, or simultaneously across all weapons? That is, will it be pretty cheap to get your first few ranks in a second weapon, even when your first weapon's progress has become painfully slow? Or does every point you spend in your main weapon make putting puts in an alt weapon less and less appealing.

Onslaught and OG Dreadnaught will never be outdone.

Robin64

Does AP cost scale up PER WEAPON, or simultaneously across all weapons? That is, will it be pretty cheap to get your first few ranks in a second weapon, even when your first weapon's progress has become painfully slow? Or does every point you spend in your main weapon make putting puts in an alt weapon less and less appealing.

Onslaught and OG Dreadnaught will never be outdone.

The first one. Costs for the first abilities in secondary weapons are low regardless of what you've done with your primary one.

Moreover, artifact power means you'll be filling those abilities in super fast.

Rhaknar

well got the chest, legs and shoulders from BT, gloves and head are from hyjal IIRC?

talking about T6. no bullwark shield tho boo

mclem

Oh, there aren't any as far as I'm aware. As in: there are no weapons on the majority of loot tables in Legion. I mean like, 99.9% of them.

My point was that Timewalking dungeons are designed as content for a large range of players, the rescaling isn't just for max level. So will it be the case that weapons will drop in TW if you're below 100, but not drop if you're above 100? That's somewhat unwieldy.

Shahadan

My point was that Timewalking dungeons are designed as content for a large range of players, the rescaling isn't just for max level. So will it be the case that weapons will drop in TW if you're below 100, but not drop if you're above 100? That's somewhat unwieldy.

Why on earth are you thinking that artifacts have any bearing on timewalking dungeon of all things.

Rhaknar

i cant remember how to get to CoT from stormwind lol. I know theres a portal in dala right? guess i can ask a mage for a portal

Tacitus_

or you can just play whatever spec you like and not worry about the 5% difference or whatever it ends up being, unless you are in a top 100 guild or something

It'll be a bit more than a 5% difference. A single artifact talent can make a spell 30% more effective.

Lanrutcon

I'm getting the general sense that people don't realise what artifacts are: they're levels 110 to 120, dudes. The difference between a fleshed out artifact and a fresh artifact is way, waaaay more than the current difference between a ilvl 700 and an ilvl 740 with set bonus and trinket.

Rhaknar

im not talking about a artifact maxed vs a fresh one. Im talking about playing the specs you like not the most powerful ones. But what do I know, im just a casual, back in my raiding days I lucked out that the specs I liked were the "proper" ones

Lanrutcon

im not talking about a artifact maxed vs a fresh one. Im talking about playing the specs you like not the most powerful ones. But what do I know, im just a casual, back in my raiding days I lucked out that the specs I liked were the "proper" ones

Sitting in the same boat.

I like Feral, Enhancement and Affliction.

Folks say I should be doing Balance, Resto and Destro.

Acidote

I play Enh shaman no matter what. I've been raiding with the same guild for many years now and nobody even suggests me to change spec anymore.

M.D

I never read about the artifact, how does it actually work? are you supposed to have all the traits in the tree at some point or are you branching out ability trait X cannot be taken if you took trait Y?

Rhaknar

son of a whore archimonde you cunt

stupid helm didnt drop, gotta do this shitshow again next week, but next week is DH and invasions so I guess I wont get it for awhile, meh

Shahadan

I never read about the artifact, how does it actually work? are you supposed to have all the traits in the tree at some point or are you branching out ability trait X cannot be taken if you took trait Y?

You're supposed to be able to complete the tree in a few months but you decide the path you'll take.

Ark

Just a few days until Invasions and Demon Hunters. Man oh man, am I excited! :D

I've barely looked at any Legion beta content so all of this is going to be 100% new for me :)

mclem

Why on earth are you thinking that artifacts have any bearing on timewalking dungeon of all things.

I'm really failing to explain myself! Let's try to break it down:

* No weapons will drop in Legion; we are using artifacts throughout.
* Timewalking dungeons currently can drop weapons.
* They are likely to continue to drop weapons going into Legion, because people below 100 can do Timewalking as well.
* I think it's unprecedented to have loot tables that vary based on the participant's level. I may be wrong on that.
* Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that if you're over 100 and go into a Timewalking dungeon, you may get a weapon drop that is of no use to you.

The thing is, there's lots of potential solutions to this that I can see, but I'm not aware of any real precedence for this sort of thing, so I'm curious how Blizzard would do it:

* Remove all weapons drops from Timewalking dungeons for all levels
* Implement changing loot tables based on participant level
* Just not care and have weapons drop that aren't of use for 100+ players
* Something else.

Azzurri

That's doesn't really solve much. Characters are balanced around having grown artifacts, not fresh ones. You won't know how your spec functions in the grand scheme until you've invested a lot of time into your artifact, at which point it's too late to turn back as you can't get that investment back.

Plus the fact that the major class balance fixes are only happening alongside mythic raiding. You could spend a month on your Affliction artifact, and then the spec gets nerfed into oblivion right as mythic raiding starts. Oops. You're a month behind the curve. Hope you like looking like shit on the dps meters.

Completely agree with you. Legion seems to be extremely unfriendly to alts. At least in prior Xpacs you could grind BGs within a few days and get enough gear to start raiding or whatever, but with legion it feels like you're pigeonholed into one class and spec. It's like if you don't pick the right class and spec you could be screwed pretty bad in raiding and PvP.

I don't want to have to grind months just to get a fully unlocked artifact weapon because my first class or spec sucks. And like you said the difference between a fully unlocked artifact and a new one is nigh and day.

Rhaknar

oh the 100 boost gives you 280% flying, thats neat

edit: wait what... you can get the firelands tier (tier 12?) with just gold? o_O

and 4/5 of tier 13 with gold also, except the shoulders

Azzurri

edit: wait what... you can get the firelands tier (tier 12?) with just gold? o_O

Where are the vendors for tier 12 and 13 on Alliance?

Tacitus_

Completely agree with you. Legion seems to be extremely unfriendly to alts. At least in prior Xpacs you could grind BGs within a few days and get enough gear to start raiding or whatever, but with legion it feels like you're pigeonholed into one class and spec. It's like if you don't pick the right class and spec you could be screwed pretty bad in raiding and PvP.

I don't want to have to grind months just to get a fully unlocked artifact weapon because my first class or spec sucks. And like you said the difference between a fully unlocked artifact and a new one is nigh and day.

The work-around for that is the artifact knowledge research. So once you get to gearing an alt / offspec, they could've stacked AP gains to 2x or 3x or something.

It's not ideal, but class fantasy!

Dugna

yeah only cata tier you need to do the raid for is the heroic versions and Dragon soul tier.

Dugna

The work-around for that is the artifact knowledge research. So once you get to gearing an alt / offspec, they could've stacked AP gains to 2x or 3x or something.

It's not ideal, but class fantasy!

they also said around halfway through the expac they're going to make AP just stupid easy to get so all of your alts will be able to get full artifact weps.

Rhaknar

Where are the vendors for tier 12 and 13 on Alliance?

actually tier 13 with gold is just a couple of classes, not all. Like there will be 2 cloth sets, 2 plate sets, etc. they are just lookalikes. Leather lookalikes seem to be rogue and druid t13

for cloth it seems to be warlock and priest (again, minus the shoulders). for plate warrior and DK I think. Still neat if youre missing certain pieces. This only goes for Normal colors.

for T12 (again, normal colors only), the whole set per class is there. I just got the hunter set, actually looks better than I expected. Lock and Mage sets look awful tho, not buying those. Theres actually some good looking cloaks to buy there aswell

the vendors are the old valor vendors in Stormwind old town. These guys:
qQKodWp.jpg

edit: DK T12 isnt bad, no T12 for Monk /cry

ampere

There's a reason why Timewalking won't be active for awhile when Legion launches, they're probably trying to figure out a good solution for stuff like that

The easiest solution would be that every weapon that drops has an artifact relic drop too, so the weapon is xmog and the relic is the upgrade

Rhaknar

so to recap for nooblets like me that didnt know and are looking for some easy transmogs:

you can buy the full t12 (firelands) normal tier with gold from the stormwind old town old valor vendors (dunno about horde ones). the other vendor has t13 normal lookalikes, but its missing the shoulders and instead of having your class's tier like t12, it has the same for everyone. seems to be:

cloth - warlock and priest
leather - druid and rogue
mail - shaman and hunter
plate - warrior and dk

that t13 vendor is nice to fill out some normal tier piece youre missing I guess.

carlsojo

so to recap for nooblets like me that didnt know and are looking for some easy transmogs:

you can buy the full t12 (firelands) normal tier with gold from the stormwind old town old valor vendors (dunno about horde ones). the other vendor has t13 normal lookalikes, but its missing the shoulders and instead of having your class's tier like t12, it has the same for everyone. seems to be:

cloth - warlock and priest
leather - druid and rogue
mail - shaman and hunter
plate - warrior and dk

that t13 vendor is nice to fill out some normal tier piece youre missing I guess.

Firelands transmog is just so good.

Top Bottom