• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Deleted a bunch of old/unused weakauras today. Feels good. Still have some more I think I can purge as well. Gonna be making/importing&tweaking a bunch for the DH, so I wanted to lighten the current load.

Nerokis

There are add-ons to bring the old character info back.

Also, weapon DPS is the most important damage stat for pretty much every class that auto-attacks.

Ohh, nice. I'll have to look into add-ons again at some point. I've been doing a no add-on run, and while it's been alright, definitely running into some of the shortcomings of the UI.

And yeah, I know it's important for white damage, but what about yellow damage? I remember weapon DPS being pretty important for that, as well, but my Monk abilities don't seem to be including it in their modifiers? Tiger Palm Strike, for example, seems to be doing the same damage, whatever the damage of the weapon I'm using. Or maybe I'm just missing something...

ampere

They should have done it. Active button pressing is better than auto attack imo

They only like it because they can put procs on auto hits

A big reason they didn't do it is because white attacks are part of the baseline damage that a class does. Even if a player isn't very good, they'll have the autoattack part of their damage, so they can still kill stuff

They don't want the damage done to vary 10x with skill, they want it to be a smaller amount

Lanrutcon

A big reason they didn't do it is because white attacks are part of the baseline damage that a class does. Even if a player isn't very good, they'll have the autoattack part of their damage, so they can still kill stuff

They don't want the damage done to vary 10x with skill, they want it to be a smaller amount

Also: latency. Even slight latency would affect your auto attacks if they were manual.

Ashodin

Just a detrimental part of an MMO, then.

Artanisix

need some good, clean UI mods

help
pa_kiss.gif

need some good, clean UI mods

help
pa_kiss.gif

Well if you don't want to create your own UI from scratch and want a more all-in-one solution, TukUI or ElvUI are probably your best bets in terms of look, features, and support.

Otherwise the base of my UI right now consists of Bartender 4 and Shadowed Unit Frames. If you want a more detailed list of what I use that modifies looks or core functionality I'll be happy to provide one. Though I am going to redo a lot come Tuesday for a fresh start with my Demon Hunter, so it may be better to ask me then. And I could export profiles/etc.

Ashodin

I just switched to that and it's very nice. My only complaint is that they need to add a way to scale only the GW2 elements. If you change the scale ui option in system it scales everything in the game and it messes up how clean all the fonts look. Plus, by default the GW2 UI overlaps with the chat box.

It's still a work in prog.

Auctopus

Resumed for the first time since mid-Cata (3 months)

I've played trials of the newer expansions but this is the first time I've properly re-subbed, hope it's not a mistake.

Ashodin

I know. I saw on the Curse page there's already a ton of features in the works, and I believe scaling just the ui was one of them.

It's already REALLY good right now and way better than ButgerStijl UI was (which was a combination of tons of UI mods, a feat unto itself)

I'm excited to see what more it can do.

erawsd

They should have done it. Active button pressing is better than auto attack imo

They only like it because they can put procs on auto hits

I completely disagree, the lack of autoattack is a big reason why I could not stand Wildstar or TOR's combat where you are constantly mashing a "filler" ability that is basically autoattack. It ends up feeling really obnoxious. Its the same reason I really hate the Rockbiter design they went with for Enhancement, Boulderfist plays significantly better imo.

Ashodin

I completely disagree, the lack of autoattack is a big reason why I could not stand Wildstar or TOR's combat where you are constantly mashing a "filler" ability that is basically autoattack. It ends up feeling really obnoxious. Its the same reason I really hate the Rockbiter design they went with for Enhancement, Boulderfist plays significantly better imo.

It's not filler if it generates a resource

Ashodin

If you have to mash the same button every half second to generate a ressource, you might as well make it an auto attack or reevaluate your ressource system.

This could fit with so many styles of gameplay (including WoW's).

Mashing a button > not mashing a button. Actual active engagement with the player is better than relying on auto-timed attacks, simple as that.

Lanrutcon

Mashing a button > not mashing a button. Actual active engagement with the player is better than relying on auto-timed attacks, simple as that.

Bullshit. It's not engaging to have to tap the same button 500 times a fight without any consideration for other factors. Simple as that.

And for the record, Wildstar combat is crap.

That's passive engagement though; there's nothing active or engaging about having to constantly press a button at all times. Active engagement implies a more deliberate thought process where the important decision is *when* to press something, not whether you forget that you were supposed to be pressing something over and over again.

Most combat systems (whether fighting games, MOBAs, or MMOs) put the emphasis on when buttons are pressed/used and not on whether inputs are consistently done. Imagine if you had to constantly mash a button to keep your "Stamina" levels high enough to punch/kick in a fighting game. That's just a distraction from the real underlying system, which is punching/kicking at the opportune times based on how your opponent is playing.

I feel silly for overestimating Mythic dungeons.

We joined a new guild and our GM took us on a marathon of all of them in one shot. Was top DPS almost the entire time until we got some 722 Warrior. It was a bit exhausting, but all that Valor. No wonder it was so easy for people to upgrade their rings to 795. I'll be able to get mine fully upgraded before Legion now too!

Now to get into another Heroic HFC group...

Fjordson

I love pretty much everything about the Draenei, especially my Draenei warrior. Even if most plate does look kinda goofy on him.

Are there even any classes in WoW that have empty GCDs these days?

I raided most of HFC as the dreaded Arms Warrior, and I don't remember just standing around auto-attacking the entire raid like most people seemed to think it was.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hit 100 on my rogue yesterday, After power leveling it as quick as I could over the past week and a bit.

Kinda thinking there's no real point trying to farm / get items and to just wait until Legion hits.

Been many many years since i've played a DPS class in WoW and it actually felt fun, I enjoyed my leveling / dungeon spamming time.

Ashodin

Top 3 classes in 7.0 (opinion)

1. Retribution Paladin
2. Discipline Priest
3. Enhancement Shaman
H. Frost Death Knight

Loving all the classes I really like got huge upgrades (Ret Paladin not so much) and changes that I have enjoyed. Playing alts feels so much more fun than it used to.

You know I never tried a custom UI for WoW I got confortable with the default one.

I never got the idea to get all the icons in one spot looks messy but I never went too depth into the game just casual raiding and normal pve

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Casters would not be considered GCD capped because of cast times.

I guess I misunderstood, I thought it was when you literally don't have buttons to press because of CDs or lack of resource. Outlaw Rogue has this a lot earlier on, and Ret pali ocasionally when everything is on cd and you have no holy power (but its rare).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
WHY IS ARMS WARRIOR AWESOME? Everyone lied and said Fury was more fun, I think I like Arms better

Tacitus_

I guess I misunderstood, I thought it was when you literally don't have buttons to press because of CDs or lack of resource. Outlaw Rogue has this a lot earlier on, and Ret pali ocasionally when everything is on cd and you have no holy power (but its rare).

GCD capping is when you're pressing a button every global cooldown. Casters with >1.5s cast times are by definition not capping.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
WHY IS ARMS WARRIOR AWESOME? Everyone lied and said Fury was more fun, I think I like Arms better
Arms is more fun for me, and it has grown on me more the more time I put in it. One of the specs that seems most built around its artifact weapon too. Expecting it to preform better than Fury at 110 unless things radically change.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
So is there a pretty good population of new players/alts getting leveled with the expansion coming out? I haven't played since like Lich King but I've been getting the itch. It'd def be more fun if the leveling zones are populated though.

Top Bottom