• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

ampere

are monk tanks in a bad place? this monk keeps dying in this timewalker, and I noticed monks were by far the hardest to heal while i was lvling my druid

It's the least intuitive tank now IMO. So for players who aren't as experienced with it, it's going to be a bit rough.

They're not OP like Warriors right now, but they're doing alright

M.D

I dunno I am a monk brewmaster and liking it

Darkmoon fair is awesome, whats the best way to get tickets?

Anything 'dogshit' a month before an expansion could change drastically with the final balance patch

It's not dogshit, but it's changed a lot and isn't the most intuitive. It's still fun

Well, I hope it turns out well because I am likely using my boost on one!
Question for all you BM Monks out there - Let's say I am tanking a dungeon/raid and we're dealing with trash, maybe raid trash that can even hurt, but won't do lethal damage unless they have strong abilities.

If I was playing Guardian or Prot Warrior, I would use Iron Fur/Mark of Ursol or Ignore Pain/Spell Reflection, but as a Monk am I supposed to be as liberal with my Iron/Purify Brew charges, or rely more on my Stagger + Passives + Healers for those of situations?

ampere

Well, I hope it turns out well because I am likely using my boost on one!
Question for all you BM Monks out there - Let's say I am tanking a dungeon/raid and we're dealing with trash, maybe raid trash that can even hurt, but won't do lethal damage unless they have strong abilities.

If I was playing Guardian or Prot Warrior, I would use Iron Fur/Mark of Ursol or Ignore Pain/Spell Reflection, but as a Monk am I supposed to be as liberal with my Iron/Purify Brew charges, or rely more on my Stagger + Passives + Healers for those of situations?

I'll go over the basics of how a Brewmaster works.

Passive defenses:
You have no armor buff, but you do have a large stamina buff. I have 480k hp in Windwalker spec, and with the same gear as Brewmaster I have 756k (no stamina trinkets or flask). This stamina buff gets even more massive with your artifact.

You have 35% base stagger, but this is not damage reduction by itself! Without purifying, stagger doesn't reduce damage taken at all.

You have a dodge mastery that increases your dodge chance every time you take a hit, and then resetting after you dodge. So you are guaranteed to not get a bad luck streak of no dodges larger than a certain amount, based on mastery.

Gift of the Ox is an ability that spawns healing orbs when you take damage. You get one orb per MaxHealth damage taken, pre-stagger and absorbs. The HFC tier bonus gives a separate 5% orb spawn chance, and there is an artifact trait that spawns orbs when you go below 35% independent of the MaxHealth counter.

Celestial Fortune is our critical strike tanking mechanic, and it gives a chance equal to your critical strike chance that any heal on you with be copied for 65% on top of the base heal. This buffs heals from you or from healers

Active defenses:
Ironskin Brew and Purifying Brew. Ironskin Brew increases your staggered damage (meaning you taken even less damage initially), but it does not reduce your damage taken at all without purifying brew. You generally want to use Ironskin Brew and then purify around the time it expires to get a good amount of mitigation, but if you happened to not take much damage during that period you can save the charge and use Ironskin Brew again.

Managing Brew charges with good use of Keg Smash on CD and not energy capping

Picking up Gift of the Ox orbs, or using Expel Harm to grab them. There's a slight penalty (15 energy cost) to using Expel Harm, so ideally you want to pick them up by strafing

Breath of Fire (artifact required for the mitigation) with an artifact trait it reduces the damage the enemy does to you. Use on CD, but can take a talent (Blackout Combo) to increase the uptime with a little bit of extra rotational management.

Blackout Strike (artifact required for the mitigation) with an artifact trait reduces damage taken from the next auto-attack. Mostly a passive thing, but make sure to use this ability on CD.

TL;DR - passive stagger does no damage reduction, so don't rely on that. Make sure to at least be doing the ISB -> PB at the end technique to reduce your damage taken. If you are fighting an enemy that doesn't hit hard you can save your charges

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Tanked a timewalker with my blood DK, that was fun

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just got around to trying out the new ret pally....

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

M.D

I'll go over the basics of how a Brewmaster works.

Passive defenses:
You have no armor buff, but you do have a large stamina buff. I have 480k hp in Windwalker spec, and with the same gear as Brewmaster I have 756k (no stamina trinkets or flask). This stamina buff gets even more massive with your artifact.

You have 35% base stagger, but this is not damage reduction by itself! Without purifying, stagger doesn't reduce damage taken at all.

You have a dodge mastery that increases your dodge chance every time you take a hit, and then resetting after you dodge. So you are guaranteed to not get a bad luck streak of no dodges larger than a certain amount, based on mastery.

Gift of the Ox is an ability that spawns healing orbs when you take damage. You get one orb per MaxHealth damage taken, pre-stagger and absorbs. The HFC tier bonus gives a separate 5% orb spawn chance, and there is an artifact trait that spawns orbs when you go below 35% independent of the MaxHealth counter.

Celestial Fortune is our critical strike tanking mechanic, and it gives a chance equal to your critical strike chance that any heal on you with be copied for 65% on top of the base heal. This buffs heals from you or from healers

Active defenses:
Ironskin Brew and Purifying Brew. Ironskin Brew increases your staggered damage (meaning you taken even less damage initially), but it does not reduce your damage taken at all without purifying brew. You generally want to use Ironskin Brew and then purify around the time it expires to get a good amount of mitigation, but if you happened to not take much damage during that period you can save the charge and use Ironskin Brew again.

Managing Brew charges with good use of Keg Smash on CD and not energy capping

Picking up Gift of the Ox orbs, or using Expel Harm to grab them. There's a slight penalty (15 energy cost) to using Expel Harm, so ideally you want to pick them up by strafing

Breath of Fire (artifact required for the mitigation) with an artifact trait it reduces the damage the enemy does to you. Use on CD, but can take a talent (Blackout Combo) to increase the uptime with a little bit of extra rotational management.

Blackout Strike (artifact required for the mitigation) with an artifact trait reduces damage taken from the next auto-attack. Mostly a passive thing, but make sure to use this ability on CD.

TL;DR - passive stagger does no damage reduction, so don't rely on that. Make sure to at least be doing the ISB -> PB at the end technique to reduce your damage taken. If you are fighting an enemy that doesn't hit hard you can save your charges

That was extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

JSoup

Banned
How? You need to visit trainers in the Broken Isles to get those unlocked. Where did they say this?

I recall seeing it mentioned in an off handed way in one of the Legion things on MMO Champion, so, grain of salt and all that.

Was saying that yellow WoD recipes would start granting experience as of the start of the event. Now I think about it, that might have been a comment on Beta/PTR stuffs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am going to enjoy the first couple of weeks of people thinking Ancient Portal: Dalaran goes to Northrend: Dalaran.

I got that, but a lot of the guides say you need to dance back and forth and you simply don't. Just park yourself in a magma pool and wait. Makes it so much easier.
Thanks man. I need to get a lockout on death wing to farm mounts and I'm dreading spine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Also did a time walker on my demo lock and whoever suggested the other day the talent to get a instant shadowbolt after a demonic empowerment was spot on. The spec actually feels super dynamic with the constant pet summon -> empower -> shadowbolt -> different per->empower etc. Empower becomes your filler instead of shadowbolt essencially, its cool stuff, but it destroys your mana.

M.D

Ugh.. Horde is constantly ganking people on my server ever since I started playing. It was always like this on Timeless Isle but doing my dailies on Tannan and it's annoying as hell, and I literally never see Alliance doing this and everyone always says how Maelstrom is Alliance favored

I wish I started on a PvE server :/

Ugh.. Horde is constantly ganking people on my server ever since I started playing. It was always like this on Timeless Isle but doing my dailies on Tannan and it's annoying as hell, and I literally never see Alliance doing this and everyone always says how Maelstrom is Alliance favored

All old content including WoD stuff is cross-realmed now. Once you get into Legion stuff on the Broken Isles it should revert to just your server/server group (if you're connected). Don't sweat it too much right now.

Measley

are monk tanks in a bad place? this monk keeps dying in this timewalker, and I noticed monks were by far the hardest to heal while i was lvling my druid

They completely fucked Monk tanks. Losing Guard, removing the increase miss chance from Keg Smash (that happened in WoD), and placing continued reliance on shitty mechanics like Gift of the Ox pushes Monks to the bottom of the pile.

I honestly feel that Monk tanks were screwed over for DH tanks.

I rerolled to Warrior.

I'm on a PVE server and all of the old content questing hubs are constantly being trolled right now so being on a PVE server wouldn't necessarily help. CRZ is super obnoxious.

Rhaknar

just did a heroic, well that sure was boring. Timewalking was much more fun even with the odd wipe or two :/

just did a heroic, well that sure was boring. Timewalking was much more fun even with the odd wipe or two :/

They were optimized for people with like, 615 iLvl or less. Just baleful gear puts you almost 100 iLvls above that.

Not that they were very challenging in the first place, compared to Cata heroics at launch.

Rhaknar

They were optimized for people with like, 615 iLvl or less. Just baleful gear puts you almost 100 iLvls above that.

Not that they were very challenging in the first place, compared to Cata heroics at launch.

I need to try some in your face pali healing, actually seems fun. I should try it in a timewalker I guess tho, not in a heroic with a bunch of 700+ ilvls

Rhaknar

I kinda like Ret Pali, its what ive been playing while trying to get aome holy gear >_>

/hides

LowParry

I think I may go DK Unholy in the long run over Enh Shammy. Never played a DK before so figure this is a good time.

Westlo

Did the wod level up dungeons get massively nerfed? Kinda struggled with my druid doing it until i realised i was un agil gear the first run, popped on cloth heirlooms and it was zzzzzz. Was dpsing bosses, reminded me of doing tbc level up dungeons

I probably will as well. Some of the weapons actually look cool too, so can get those while farming the currency

Gonna sell the best looking weapons during 8.0, hopefully blizz keeps the models unique.

No point equipping them imo when youll prob replace them in the first hour of legion anyway.

Rhaknar

Edit: saw them on youtube, some nice models actually

M.D

All old content including WoD stuff is cross-realmed now. Once you get into Legion stuff on the Broken Isles it should revert to just your server/server group (if you're connected). Don't sweat it too much right now.

I'm on a PVE server and all of the old content questing hubs are constantly being trolled right now so being on a PVE server wouldn't necessarily help. CRZ is super obnoxious.

Well, that's good to hear.
I am always thinking about moving to a PvE server with higher population
Is anyone here playing on Silvermoon Eu with a raiding guild?

Right now a human mage is trolling Westreach Summit in Thousand Needles of all places, like, just...why?

In Crossroads there's at least the potential that the griefing is going to lead to a fight against other 100's, but I've been encountering Alli players camping the most random low-level questing hubs in places like Desolace and Thousand Needles. People are just that bored.

Really? Interesting. I haven't seen that. It's people mostly asking for help/talking about the game, but it is an alt I don't play much.
This was back in April/May though. The guild leader was a bit of a racist too. I don't know if things have changed since then though.

Rhaknar

In 13 years of wow I never understood the appeal of open pvp. I "get" pvp in battlegrounds and whatnot, but the idea of questing and some asshole coming in when im unorepared and fighting npcs is something I would loathe.

And yes I hate pvp in the Souls games for the same reason.

Strimei

In 13 years of wow I never understood the appeal of open pvp. I "get" pvp in battlegrounds and whatnot, but the idea of questing and some asshole coming in when im unorepared and fighting npcs is something I would loathe.

Can only speak for myself, but way back in the day (I'm talking vanilla here), it gave a sense of fear, at least for me, when out in contested areas. I have fond memories of questing in Ashenvale for the first time and feeling like there were Horde behind every tree (and turns out, they often were). I remember seeing several coming down the road on mounts (actual mounts!) and trying to escape (failed, of course).

That said, its gotten tiring ever since, though I do like giving them a chase now and then.

Lomax

It can, rarely, lead to some great emergent gameplay moments. But those are few and far between. The reality most people on pvp servers don't like to admit is they like having the ability to gank, and that's worth the hassle to them otherwise. And some pvp servers end up so heavily factionalized that as long as you're in the dominant faction, you don't really have much risk in typical activity anyway. I'm totally with you, I left pvp servers behind back in BC and don't miss them at all. But I do have a couple fond memories from vanilla on my pvp server.

carlsojo

I only went to this server to join friends. And then the friends quit.

Rhaknar

Im really surprised how much I enjoyed this month since I resubbed (well 3 weeks, expires on the 17th I think), and all I've read from Legion has me terribly excited.

Coming from someone who barely played WoD, had his longest away period ever (since January 2015 so a year and half) and was certain Legion would finally be the first expansion I wouldnt get, thats pretty good.

cdyhybrid

It was good in Vanilla when world PVP was the only option and there were no BGs/arenas.

It serves no purpose other than griefing now.

Top Bottom