• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

I don't mind world PvP now, it adds a little dangerous spice to things every now and again when leveling, though yes, it usually takes place in the form of griefing nowadays. But it's not really an issue on a Horde-dominated server most of the time -- for all intents and purposes during current content it may as well not exist.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Heres a question for those that have NOT played the beta:

When you are leveling and assuming you get to 110 before you finish the last zone (or even get to the last zone), will you move directly to Suramar or will you finish all the zones first?

Edit: Suramar, not the Lords of the Ring wizard lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just play a Boomkin or an Affliction Warlock. No one will jump you because no one wants that kind of time commitment.

ampere

I only went to this server to join friends. And then the friends quit.

This is what happened to most folks. And back when they rolled characters, there was probably no CRZ so it wasn't an endless gankfest in old continents

Killing grey level characters is dumb

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Heres a question for those that have NOT played the beta:

When you are leveling and assuming you get to 110 before you finish the last zone (or even get to the last zone), will you move directly to Suramar or will you finish all the zones first?

Edit: Suramar, not the Lords of the Ring wizard lol
Suramar is needed to open up certain dungeons, so I'm probably going to prioritize it. If I'm 2/3rds to finishing a leveling zone I might just keep going on it I guess.

Also, I've said this a million times but the world PvP system is not what it was ever meant to be. Flying mounts and CRZ to dodge people who would come for you or harass as many people as possible. No dishonorable kill system. I know it seems kind of dumb, but why is there no penalty to camping a quest giver and low level players? Even if you dislike PvP many of the best servers are PvP tagged, and when it's current content you don't have to deal with the dumb CRZ garbage. Unavoidable.

Rizzi

KGM6DPY.png

:(

biaxident

So first I get 2 lunkers from 1 pool, then later I get 5 lunkers in 19 casts, kinda sad how excited I was for fishing lol. Just need that strider asap.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What are the odds Arms sees a complete redesign next expansion? The spec has felt forever like they don't know what they want it to be.

Strimei

What are the odds Arms sees a complete redesign next expansion? The spec has felt forever like they don't know what they want it to be.

Anything's possible.

I mean, how many times have warlock specs, let alone the whole class, gotten redesigned/revamped now?

Hey guys! I used to play WoW back in Vanilla and when BC came out. I reached 70 and tanked in some endgame raids but I eventually quit because high school was a busy time.

Now that I'm an adult with my own money and time and the blessing of my wife, I decided to redownload the game.

I don't have any of my old account. So I rolled a new Orc warrior and I swear some time ago I heard something about new players getting a free token to boost a character up to a high level. Is this true? I got to level 13 today so I know I'll have to pay up soon to keep playing. But getting from 1-60/70 took such a long time and all I'm really interested in is raiding. What would you guys advise that I do? Any new powerleveling tactics that aren't too time consuming? I guess I could make a Deathknight and start at 60(?) But I sure like playing a warrior...

Could anyone fill me in on a quick way to get back to raiding for a returning oldschool player from the BC days? Thanks!

cdyhybrid

Hey guys! I used to play WoW back in Vanilla and when BC came out. I reached 70 and tanked in some endgame raids but I eventually quit because high school was a busy time.

Now that I'm an adult with my own money and time and the blessing of my wife, I decided to redownload the game.

I don't have any of my old account. So I rolled a new Orc warrior and I swear some time ago I heard something about new players getting a free token to boost a character up to a high level. Is this true? I got to level 13 today so I know I'll have to pay up soon to keep playing. But getting from 1-60/70 took such a long time and all I'm really interested in is raiding. What would you guys advise that I do? Any new powerleveling tactics that aren't too time consuming? I guess I could make a Deathknight and start at 60(?) But I sure like playing a warrior...

Could anyone fill me in on a quick way to get back to raiding for a returning oldschool player from the BC days? Thanks!
You get a boost when you buy the new expansion. It's called Legion and the boost is to level 100 (Legion is 100-110 and it opens up August 30th, but if you pre-order you get the boost now).

Aside from what anyone else will mention, leveling is not nearly as long as it used to be, even going 1-100 or 1-110. A LOT has changed since you've been out of the game, too much to list really. To be honest, I would just enjoy leveling and doing that with a fresh face, since using a boost may overwhelm you at first. But yes, with the purchase of the latest expansion, Legion, you will get a free boost to level 100 to use on a character.

The raiding scene is pretty different nowadays as well - depending on what your goals are, it may be difficult to find a group that suits you as a long-absent player, particularly if you're interested in more organized/high-end stuff. You may have to climb through a ladder of guilds, gaining experience along the way.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Lomax

Lol

Vanilla burning steppes was the bomb with the funneling of players of max level.

Flying mounts in tbc ruined that aspect.....

TBC had the Karazhan gate of ultimate trolling which was pure evil on a pvp server and it had coilfang reservoir which funneled mid-60s players trying to get into dungeons past raids full of 70s waiting to go into SSC. Those were both shining examples of both how pvp servers could be amusing but also completely obnoxious.

Maddrical

What's the consensus on the new Survival Hunter gameplay? I resubbed and tried all 3 Hunter specializations over the weekend and found Survival to be the most interesting & fun by a long shot, but I'm not sure if it's viable in PvE/PvP? If it's not that great I'm tempted to just boost a Warrior because I can't say I'm enjoying either Marksmanship or BM. Then again, I play more for fun and I'm not fussed about topping meters or anything. Though I would like to do eventually do Mythic dungeons.

Okay, so I mentioned I found my old WoW screenshot folder the other day. Here's a good taste from the beginning of Cataclysm:

An annotated (annotated at the time) pic of all my UI addons upon reaching level 85. I have some other Cata and Wrath-era stuff, but I want to go through them first before just dumping everything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What's the consensus on the new Survival Hunter gameplay? I resubbed and tried all 3 Hunter specializations over the weekend and found Survival to be the most interesting & fun by a long shot, but I'm not sure if it's viable in PvE/PvP? If it's not that great I'm tempted to just boost a Warrior because I can't say I'm enjoying either Marksmanship or BM. Then again, I play more for fun and I'm not fussed about topping meters or anything. Though I would like to do eventually do Mythic dungeons.

There is no consensus pre-artifacts. I loved it while leveling tho, even if I switched to BM at the last few levels and would / will play BM in Legion (dat second pet)

Maddrical

There is no consensus pre-artifacts. I loved it while leveling tho, even if I switched to BM at the last few levels and would / will play BM in Legion (dat second pet)

Ah right, good call. I think I'll stick with Survival initially then, see how it goes. Didn't think I'd enjoy it at all but it's good fun.

Rhaknar

Ah right, good call. I think I'll stick with Survival initially then, see how it goes. Didn't think I'd enjoy it at all but it's good fun.

I loved it, hell youre making me want to play it again, gonna use it again during invasiond

zugzug

Pvp realms are the most stupid shit ever created by men.

And go to suramar asap, you need nightborn reputation for everything

eh perhaps you mean the world of warcraft developers who quit on the pvp realm design are the worst people in the world, perhaps you meant to say that but whoose to say.

Alright, here we go, from Wrath (this one is the most egregiously terrible one I could find):

For some reason WotLK was like a huge step back from TBC. In TBC there were a ton of mods to create your own custom panels within the game so I remember having a really clean UI until the very end of TBC when they made a lot of changes to LUA (or at least what you could do within the game) and it broke a lot of mods meaning people had to go back to the kinda crap you have going on there. Towards the end of WotLK it was much better though. I think for WotLK I just stacked 3 bars on the bottom of the screen with Bartender and used X-Perl until I found SUF.

Blizz has done a good job implementing certain features that people used to use mods for directly into the game. How fun was having 3 addons just for your in-game map? Because otherwise it was fullscreen low-res at all times *vomit*.

Tarazet

I feel like I've been mount farming forever, and I'm still not even up to the 150 mounts usable on one character achievement. Anyone saying this game is lacking in content is turning a blind eye to just how much time they spent on it, or how many things they haven't done yet.

Rhaknar

My favorite classes keep fluctuating. Days ago I had no interest in even leveling my 91 Pali, now its steadily in my go to's lately (as Ret no less lol), and I really want to try Holy.

Warlock and Hunter are still a lock for Legion, with Warrior actually tieing with the Hunter if not surpassing him (seriously if I wasnt dead set on Lock, I would probably main Fury Warrior at this point, the spec completely blew me away).

And Blood DK is still super fun aswell. I still want to try Elemental Shaman so im hoping that I get some Invasions int gear to try it.

Monk is completely out of the race, as is Mage even if I thought Fire was super fun, I also want to try shadow to see where that lands in the list, I did a quick spec and it seemed fun.

Druid and Rogue are out of the race because they are lowbies and right now im just doing transmogs or timewalkers for off specs to try them until invasions in a few days.

And of course there's Demon Hunter, which with my new found love of melee im sure will rank high.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My problem with playing a caster over melee is always dealing with trash in a group. As soon as I get shit rolling, everything is at 20% hp. And it happens a lot on my Shadow Priest currently. I'm at the point in LEgion where I figure there will be so many Demon Hunters and Warriors that I'm just going to afk til we get to the bosses.

justm ake SW:p aoe like DK plague. Why the fuck not

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Some of the artifact major traits flavor are really fucking dull stat boosts and nothing else.

Unholy gets a shambling zombie that slowly moves towards the target and explodes on impact. Sub rogues summon Akaari, Sub rogues get one where they explode when they come out of stealth

then you look at stuff like Ashbringer and it's just boring as fuck stuff that isn't even flavor.

Ha i love looking at those old UI's! I don't have many old WoW screenshots left but here is one from nine years ago:

WoWScrnShot_110507_190847.jpg

I thought it looked cool at the time! Couldn't tell you what half of those were though, addons for the sake of it tbh.

Rizzi

I love the way that premade groups get matched up against randoms. Especially when the random team has zero healers, and theirs has multiple.
That's so fair!
But I suppose being at level 110 will fix that balance issue too right?

MMaRsu

I don't mind world PvP now, it adds a little dangerous spice to things every now and again when leveling, though yes, it usually takes place in the form of griefing nowadays. But it's not really an issue on a Horde-dominated server most of the time -- for all intents and purposes during current content it may as well not exist.

on a PVE server but I really like world pvp. If I see someone below my lvl running around with pvp on Im going in :p

By the way.. Legion or No Man Sky???

Rhaknar

Some of the artifact major traits flavor are really fucking dull stat boosts and nothing else.

Unholy gets a shambling zombie that slowly moves towards the target and explodes on impact. Sub rogues summon Akaari, Sub rogues get one where they explode when they come out of stealth

then you look at stuff like Ashbringer and it's just boring as fuck stuff that isn't even flavor.

Ashbringers copies your moves in mid air and it looks cool

MMaRsu

Getting to 60/70 does not take as long as it used to back in the day. I am also a returning player from the BC days, and its really fun to play this game again. Id even suggest not doing the boost perse, as you will miss out on a lot of cool quests imo. But I can understand you not wanting to run through all of it, the world has changed a lot since Vanilla and I thought it was an amazing run through memory lane going through old areas.

CarbonatedFalcon you make me want to vomit

sick.gif

Hahaha.

I'll post a pic of my Legion/Demon Hunter updated UI probably sometime tomorrow or Tuesday. Was working on it a little tonight, but still have a lot of the more complex settings/addons to go through and it's late/I'm tired now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I love the way that premade groups get matched up against randoms. Especially when the random team has zero healers, and theirs has multiple.
That's so fair!
But I suppose being at level 110 will fix that balance issue too right?

Why don't you heal?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
You're right. That would totally solve the problem of premades vs randoms.

If people want structured pvp they have RBGs and Arenas. Waiting around for even matchups for random battlegrounds would jump the queue times from 15 minutes to 30.

I totally would if Death Knights had a healing spec.

Something stopping you from switching to a healer? Marks of Honor are BoA now. Can heal on an alt and get gear for someone else.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Looks like I'm inbetween my Unholy DK and my Shadow Priest for Legion. I've narrowed it down to those two. This is with the intent of fully clearing everything on mythic and finding a raiding guild to do it with. Not looking to be top 100 or whatever, but I'm in it to get everything done reasonably before the next tier of content. With my new job I'll be able to regularly dedicate myself to raiding so it'll likely be a 3 day group that I'll hunt for so we get it done sooner.

UH DK is what I played fairly well in Mythic HFC. From what I've read on Legion, they continue to have most of their strengths and then some. Extremely strong AOE damage, survivability and a death grip(x2, but minus a Gorefiend's grasp). DKs are extremely popular and Melee will be likely evne more crowded in this expansion due to Demon Hunters and the new animations, but DKs have always been popular and yet they seem to be one of the most in demand melee DPS due to their utility and AOE damage. Their AOE is also apparently very good for Mythic dungeons. And I don't mind any of their offspecs. A very cool artifact weapon with a lot of style.

Shadow is one of my favorite specs and has been since BC though I've never gotten to regularly play it. They seem very strong at the moment, but as a former Elemetnal Shaman, I know Shadow Priests damage can swing on a dime in a similar way. I enjoy their rotation, I love their lore, their artifact weapon is cool even if some of the traits aren't that interesting, their talent tree is very cool, and the visuals are awesome. Old God lore and Twilight's Hammer stuff has always been some of the most interesting stuff in WoW to me. Their single target DPS is very good but they aren't as fun to play in dungeons outside of boss fights due to their extremely poor AOE. They are a hybrid with two healing specs though they are ranged which I may find getting into a good guild easier with. But I strongly dislike healing and would never do it. Selfish or not, I do still play to have fun even when progression minded. Just one of the few things in the game I'm active about not wanting to do. I managed through all of Mythic Siege of Orgrimmar as Elemental without once having to heal.

Whatever's not the 'main' will be the alt but with how artifact power works, I don't know how much time I will dedicate to the alt.

Rizzi

If people want structured pvp they have RBGs and Arenas. Waiting around for even matchups for random battlegrounds would jump the queue times from 15 minutes to 30.

Something stopping you from switching to a healer? Marks of Honor are BoA now. Can heal on an alt and get gear for someone else.

Doesn't stop the random BG queue I jumped in from being a bunch of randoms on my team and the complete opposite on the enemies team.
The only character I have that has a healing spec is my paladin, but I don't have any gear with int on her. Can't imagine that would go super well.

Lanrutcon

Again, you're right. I'm sure the randoms who get steamrolled by premades care more about those 15 minutes than actually having a fair match.

Top Bottom