• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Rafy

So after taking the advice of people from this thread, I installed ElvUI and WeakAuras 2 (with the Afenar presets for fire mage).

My question is this, how do I make it look better? This is on default settings, and watching videos of people with the same class and UI, I noticed theirs looks different. Is there some sort of preset that every mage is using?

kqDUIWP.jpg

So after taking the advice of people from this thread, I installed ElvUI and WeakAuras 2 (with the Afenar presets for fire mage).

My question is this, how do I make it look better? This is on default settings, and watching videos of people with the same class and UI, I noticed theirs looks different. Is there some sort of preset that every mage is using?

I mean, what do you want to change? ElvUI has lots of options/toggles to adjust things, so play around with those if you want. WeakAuras is insanely powerful, you can literally display almost any piece of information you could think of in anyway you want. Starting out with a pre-built set of auras may be best, but you probably want to at least tweak where they are on the screen, and add others that aren't class specific, etc. which is easy enough. There's a fairly new "From Template" feature that makes creating common auras you would need for a class easier and more like TellMeWhen. Though to make a fully comprehensive weak aura for an ability, you're often going to have to make at least 3 auras and group them together (one for the ability being active, on cooldown, and ready).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So are we looking at a 100% chance Illidan kills Gul'Dan and saves the world at the end of this xpac, or what?

I thought I read that Gul Dan was just a dungeon boss lol

Kain

So are we looking at a 100% chance Illidan kills Gul'Dan and saves the world at the end of this xpac, or what?

Gul'Dan is suppossed to be amongst the first bosses of the xpac so if anything, it will be at the beginning. The expectation is to fight an avatar of Sargeras (not the guy himself, that's impossible), but maybe we get Azshara or some Old God as end boss. And reanimated Varyan as a lowly mid-boss, of course.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wonder if Vol'jin's thing about Sylvanas being important is actually going to be relevant or if it's just a cheap and easy way to justify her being Warchief.

scoobs

I wonder if Vol'jin's thing about Sylvanas being important is actually going to be relevant or if it's just a cheap and easy way to justify her being Warchief.

Feels like its just a "we know we don't utilize this badass character enough, and yall won't stop bitching so now she's warchief, deal with it."

Rafy

I mean, what do you want to change? ElvUI has lots of options/toggles to adjust things, so play around with those if you want. WeakAuras is insanely powerful, you can literally display almost any piece of information you could think of in anyway you want. Starting out with a pre-built set of auras may be best, but you probably want to at least tweak where they are on the screen, and add others that aren't class specific, etc. which is easy enough. There's a fairly new "From Template" feature that makes creating common auras you would need for a class easier and more like TellMeWhen. Though to make a fully comprehensive weak aura for an ability, you're often going to have to make at least 3 auras and group them together (one for the ability being active, on cooldown, and ready).

Weak Auras I have no problems with, I found this preset that I am ok with.

ElvUI, as you mentioned, has a lot of options for customization. I tried to make it look like in videos I've seen but failed every time. This is why I was asking if it supports pre-made presets/templates that we can import, and If there is a specific one everyone uses for each of the classes.

At this point I'd be content with just getting those two smaller action bars on the left and right of my main one, stacked and placed next to the loot chat window. I just have to keep messing with it I guess.

Robin64

Gul'dan is the final boss of The Nighthold, one of the first raids in Legion. You can view his details in the Journal right now.

Reckoner

Is there some Gaf guild? Would love to do some past raids and dungeons, like Icecrown.

Been playing WoW casually mostly for the past three years. I'm level 91 on my main atm, which is a lovely Dwarf Hunter, and would love to play through some important content from past expansions.

Weak Auras I have no problems with, I found this preset that I am ok with.

ElvUI, as you mentioned, has a lot of options for customization. I tried to make it look like in videos I've seen but failed every time. This is why I was asking if it supports pre-made presets/templates that we can import, and If there is a specific one everyone uses for each of the classes.

At this point I'd be content with just getting those two smaller action bars on the left and right of my main one, stacked and placed next to the loot chat window. I just have to keep messing with it I guess.

Toggle the anchors, and you should be able to move stuff along with an onscreen grid for accuracy with the ability to set specific x/y precision as well.

Ok so I am getting really enticed to get back into WoW, I actually quit just when Cataclysm was about to end (that expansion really killed it for me after Wrath and TBC).

However..! Legion is looking pretty damn amazing. But I am still apprehensive about paying a monthly fee again.

What are the overall opinions? How is DK (my former main) doing nowadays, is DH a lot of fun?

scoobs

Ok so I am getting really enticed to get back into WoW, I actually quit just when Cataclysm was about to end (that expansion really killed it for me after Wrath and TBC).

However..! Legion is looking pretty damn amazing. But I am still apprehensive about paying a monthly fee again.

What are the overall opinions? How is DK (my former main) doing nowadays, is DH a lot of fun?

I've only been playing for a couple days on my DK (I quit like 1 or 2 months after WoD came out) and its super fun. They've changed sooooooooooo much with talents and abilities, its like a whole new class (kind of).

Demon Hunter is incredible. Insane mobility, tons of damage, love the combat flow

Shahadan

Pay a month, get some gold, buy game time with gold, problem solved!

Rafy

Toggle the anchors, and you should be able to move stuff along with an onscreen grid for accuracy with the ability to set specific x/y precision as well.

Thanks for the tip, I was able to achieve the look I wanted. Do you know if there is a setting for the 7-12 buttons to wrap around below 1-6, instead of above when I select 6 buttons per line? It's the only thing I am missing.

Thanks for the tip, I was able to achieve the look I wanted. Do you know if there is a setting for the 7-12 buttons to wrap around below 1-6, instead of above when I select 6 buttons per line? It's the only thing I am missing.

I'm not sure without checking my old ElvUI install on beta, but from what I understand what you're asking, could you not just adjust the bars accordingly and then redo the keybinds?

Shahadan

Is it easy to pay for your subscription with gold? It seemed like something for people with really excessive amounts of gold. Or is it quite doable?

Depends, are you US or EU? EU token prices are significantly higher, and it would require some work but it's doable. Probably not fun though.

Acidote

Is it easy to pay for your subscription with gold? It seemed like something for people with really excessive amounts of gold. Or is it quite doable?

I don't know how it is from now on, but I've not payed with real money since they introduced the tokens. You made so much gold having a few characters with level 3 garrisons.

I don't know how it is from now on, but I've not payed with real money since they introduced the tokens. You made so much gold having a few characters with level 3 garrisons.

Well as of now without the garrisons it would be fairly difficult. Especially EU. The economy got a little boost from DH release, but everything WoD has been devalued for so long that it's not the best time to be making gold in many markets.

Once Legion is launched and in full swing for the first couple months things are going to be bonkers comparatively, especially with the sheer player gold inflation (from the players who continued throughout WoD) from garrisons. Going to be lots to make/sell. Lots more competition for sure as well, but the profession system isn't complete dogshit this time around either.

Sölf

Well as of now without the garrisons it would be fairly difficult. Especially EU. The economy got a little boost from DH release, but everything WoD has been devalued for so long that it's not the best time to be making gold in many markets.

Once Legion is launched and in full swing for the first couple months things are going to be bonkers comparatively, especially with the sheer player gold inflation (from the players who continued throughout WoD) from garrisons. Going to be lots to make/sell. Lots more competition for sure as well, but the profession system isn't complete dogshit this time around either.

I haven't played for the most of WoD. So yeah, my gold is a bit above 100k. And that is after selling most of my mats and potions and Flasks I still had.

lazygecko

Depends, are you US or EU? EU token prices are significantly higher, and it would require some work but it's doable. Probably not fun though.

Farming gold for tokens is what burned me out on the game. Maybe without the garrison shit it'll be better, but I'm still afraid it will happen again. The whole token system just added this stressful negative psychology to the game for me.

It also made me switch from EU to a US account thanks to Russia hyperinflating the EU market which it is lumped together with.

EU. Why are they higher if I might ask? If it's on Blizzard's part, that's kind of a shitty thing to do, no?

Eh, sadly I didn't play WoD so I don't have any garrisons haha.

Rafy

I'm not sure without checking my old ElvUI install on beta, but from what I understand what you're asking, could you not just adjust the bars accordingly and then redo the keybinds?

I know I can just rebind the buttons, but I my slight OCD prevents me from assigning 6 to Button 1. Yes, I know I am weird. It works fine like it is now, no need for you to dig through your settings. It was just an aesthetic thing, I'll just get used to it with time.

EDIT
EU. Why are they higher if I might ask? If it's on Blizzard's part, that's kind of a shitty thing to do, no?

Eh, sadly I didn't play WoD so I don't have any garrisons haha.

I think I read somewhere that in the US Blizzard had caps on how high prices could rise per hour, instead in EU they had caps on how fast they could fall per hour. In both cases the caps were 1% per hour, if I recall correctly.

Rizzi

So, I finally did the broken shore scenario on the Horde side.
Gotta be honest,
Sylvanas Warchief got my kind of excited to play my Horde characters again. Also what is up with Nathanos showing up again, not all rotted out?

Got a pocket fel spreader toy today! Probably could've sold it, but the prices were dropping fast on em. I'll try and get a few to bank for later, but I learned the first one as I'm a pretty avid toy collector.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just got the invasion bow from a green chest so the weapons arent just from the blue ones

So are melee characters supposed to die a lot in these invasions? I've been trying out my Havoc DH and I seem to die on all the boss mobs during the invasion. It feels like they are missing some sort of heal mechanic. The smaller mobs don't drop those purple soul orb things that normally replenish health.

Rizzi

So are melee characters supposed to die a lot in these invasions? I've been trying out my Havoc DH and I seem to die on all the boss mobs during the invasion. It feels like they are missing some sort of heal mechanic. The smaller mobs don't drop those purple soul orb things that normally replenish health.

The demons do a lot of damage, and a lot of it is aoe. It's not just Demon Hunters having a hard time.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
WoW DH's are Illidari, so they certainly could be Fel Orcs or Eredar (Draenei). I just hope no one's holding their breath for Forsaken or Pandaren Demon Hunters. Not going to happen.

It's always possible they start training new Illidari of other races come the next expansion, though. Of course it wouldn't make sense with the current DH starting zone, but whatever. That's a conceit I'd be glad to roll with just so I can make a DH of a decent race.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, I finally did the broken shore scenario on the Horde side.
Gotta be honest,
Sylvanas Warchief got my kind of excited to play my Horde characters again. Also what is up with Nathanos showing up again, not all rotted out?
Nathanos thing got me too. They even mention it. Something's going on there.

Rhaknar

everybody is dying on those last bosses. they are like raid bosses, and in a raid boss, you would usually...you know, be healed by your raid healers. Nobody heals in invasions so everybody dies and runs back, even ranged gets hit by the huge aoes and whatnot

Magnus

I decided I'd like to nab a rig that can play all Blizzard games (including Legion and Overwatch) comfortably. (high settings would be nice)

How cheaply can such a rig be had these days? I don't think I'd be assembling it myself, but I'm comfortable adding RAM or a card into a computer that's already been put together. I'm going to poke around some stores today to get ideas.

Reckoner

I decided I'd like to nab a rig that can play all Blizzard games (including Legion and Overwatch) comfortably. (high settings would be nice)

How cheaply can such a rig be had these days? I don't think I'd be assembling it myself, but I'm comfortable adding RAM or a card into a computer that's already been put together. I'm going to poke around some stores today to get ideas.

You don't need big money to run those games at a good IQ. The folks at the PC building thread are usually very helpful.

Robin64

Anyone that played beta that can comment on whether or not the new ring is worth 250k?

ilvl 850 is very good at that point in the expansion, especially at level 101, but a) it has no main stats and b) the teleport is usless due to your Dalaran Hearthstone.

So.. I'd have to vote no, not worth it.

Top Bottom