• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Ashodin

Speaking of that, especially the comic book comparison, seeing all the demons that we already killed kinda deflated me a bit. Like The Legion just keeps coming back so whats the point of killing them? I know thats nothing new nor is they reusing bosses but it jumped out at me more this time, a villain that will just return indefinitely when defeated isnt a very good villain story wise imo.

That's the point of the Legion tho. Unless killed in the Twisting Nether they will always come back. They're supposed to be this immortal army that we can't conquer on our own turf. We can only push them back and off Azeroth.

It seems this time the Legion has brought their full reconstitution powers to bear, and are summoning themselves quicker and faster than before even when killed. The Tomb of Sargeras likely has something to do with that.

Doukou

Demons don't die unless it's in the twisting nether or some shit, right?
I thought they could die if they fully separated their tie to the twisting nether and permently stay in the physical Relam(and then killed) or something of the sort.
They can also be redeemed(though very rare)

Have today off after a 17 hour shift, finally got around to completing the Demon Hunter Scenario, and took part in my first two invasions. Holy shit. I don't know how Legion will fare in the long run with its post-launch support but all of the pre-launch stuff so far is such a strong step forward. The audio-drama, the Harbinger cinematics, the demon hunter starting area, the invasions, it's all been so damned good. Kinda bummed about the 4 hour downtime between being able to participate in invasions but I guess I'll just hop on to my Paladin or Hunter and play through the Broken Shore scenario while I wait. I cheated and watched the Horde cinematic while I was at work.

I really like the way they've set up the Invasion merchant in that you can buy whole transmog sets for other armor classes. You don't need to try and grind out the invasions to get all of the different appearances. Just the weapons, if you want, I guess.

Everything about Legion so far has been really well done. Love the invasions, that's the most MMO-ass thing I've experienced in an MMO yet. Just this ridiculous free-for-all with I don't know how many other players. It's absurd and awesome.

Ashodin

Have today off after a 17 hour shift, finally got around to completing the Demon Hunter Scenario, and took part in my first two invasions. Holy shit. I don't know how Legion will fare in the long run with its post-launch support but all of the pre-launch stuff so far is such a strong step forward. The audio-drama, the Harbinger cinematics, the demon hunter starting area, the invasions, it's all been so damned good. Kinda bummed about the 4 hour downtime between being able to participate in invasions but I guess I'll just hop on to my Paladin or Hunter and play through the Broken Shore scenario while I wait. I cheated and watched the Horde cinematic while I was at work.

I really like the way they've set up the Invasion merchant in that you can buy whole transmog sets for other armor classes. You don't need to try and grind out the invasions to get all of the different appearances. Just the weapons, if you want, I guess.

Everything about Legion so far has been really well done. Love the invasions, that's the most MMO-ass thing I've experienced in an MMO yet. Just this ridiculous free-for-all with I don't know how many other players. It's absurd and awesome.

YEAHHHHH get in there

Lomax

New Enhancement is fun and all but it really throws off my 8 years of Shaman muscle memory

I know, right? On paper the changes seem somewhat minor, but basically the class plays completely different now. And as someone who had never played an energy or rage class, it was completely foreign to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know, right? On paper the changes seem somewhat minor, but basically the class plays completely different now. And as someone who had never played an energy or rage class, it was completely foreign to me.

It's weird because I remember a couple people saying Shadow plays totally different now. And it's like no, Shadow has one new mechanic but it's basically the same for anyone who has played shadow for longer than a week.

But Enhancement is a mindfuck for anyone who's put a lot of time into Shaman.
'What they renamed Unleash Elements again?'
'These names are familiar but they don't do what they're suppoed to do;
'Where's CL?'
'STORMSTRIKE HAS A COST?!'
'LAVA LASH ISNT GODLY??'

Lanrutcon

It's funny, but playing a DH for the last 2 days has made me reconsider my Shaman. Enhancement is boring as fuck when you can zip around the place with eyelasers and shit.

Guess I'm going back to Elemental.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Eyebeams aren't as cool looking at Crash Lightning

also how fucked up is it Stormbringer has the exact same visual as maelstrom LB 5 stacks? I'm going to go for LB every time, Blizz.

Lanrutcon

Eyebeams aren't as cool looking at Crash Lightning

also how fucked up is it Stormbringer has the exact same visual as maelstrom LB 5 stacks? I'm going to go for LB every time, Blizz.

See, if they made a ranged DH spec that was all glaive throwing and eyelasers? insta main.

Kintaco

Anyone play Alliance on Sargeras-US, if so how is it? I have Alliance toons on Darkspear and Horde on Illidan, want an Alliance PVE server to start some toons on since I currently have RAF going.

Has anyone gotten more than one weapon from an invasion yet?

Both my Monk and Shaman have gotten the one handed axe, but neither of them have gotten a second weapon of any kind yet.

There's a few corrections here:
-Ner'Zhul (the Orc) never worked for the Legion willingly. After he blew up Draenor, Kil'Jaeden snatched his soul and basically said "ok you help us conquer Azeroth or I torture you for eternity." NZ agreed, but KJ still didn't trust him so bound his soul into ice-encased armor, thus creating the lich king
-Arthas' arc was mostly manipluated by NZ himself to work towards his freedom from the Legion, not part of the larger Legion plan. Or at least, the Legion just assumed he would just be a powerful Scourge agent and help take out the Human kingdoms, but not much beyond that. Arthas going to Icecrown to put on the helmet (he already had Frostmourne since before he was a DK) was 100% him and NZ scheming, the Legion was actually actively trying to prevent that.

Woo an excuse to try to summarize Warcraft lore as succinctly and simplified as possible, I'll take it.

In ancient history Azeroth had one continent with the extremely powerful Well of Eternity at its center. Sargeras wanted to consume its powers and worked with Queen Azshara to enable the Legion's invasion. Malfurion and friends try to stop this from happening but are betrayed by Illidan. Everyone gets into a big fight, Illidan betrays Azshara and the Legion, the well explodes and splits the world apart, but the Legion invasion is stopped. Unfortunately Illidan has re-betrayed Malfurion and friends by recreating the Well of Eternity and exposing Azeroth to another Legion invasion. They throw him in jail to rot and plant the World Tree on the new well to help protect it from the Legion.

Now we fast forward to the Warcraft 1/2 timeline where Gul'dan/Medivh orchestrate (unintentional pun) the Horde's invasion of Azeroth on behalf of the Legion. The Orcs are eventually defeated by the Alliance, but in the process of trying to shut down the portals on Draenor they accidentally cause Draenor to explode and turn into Outland. While everything is exploding, Ner'zhul escapes through one of the portals but runs into Kil'jeaden who turns him into a suit of armor and deposits him in Northrend to work on the Legion's behalf as the Lich King.

Now we've hit Warcraft 3 timeline where the Lich King is using the Undead Scourge to facilitate yet another Burning Legion invasion. The Lich King manipulates Arthas into becoming his champion and Arthas goes on to summon Archimonde into the world. Archimonde and the Legion travel to Kalimdor to try to take over the Well of Eternity, leaving the Lich King and the Scourge in charge of the Eastern Kingdoms.

Illidan is freed from his prison by Tyrande so he can help fight the Burning Legion, but is later told by Arthas the location of the Skull of Gul'dan which will allow him to use the Legion's own powers against it. Illidan absorbs the skull and becomes the half demon we know today. Malfurion is horrified by this and banishes Illidan as a result. Archimonde is eventually defeated when Malfurion blows up the World Tree.

Now we're at The Frozen Throne expansion. As Illidan wanders Azeroth seeking ever more power, he convinces Lady Vashj and Kael Sunstrider to join him. Together they travel to Outland and usurp control of the planet from Magtheridon. Their success is short lived as they are immediately confronted by Kil'jeaden who has not forgotten about Illidan's betrayal of the Legion tens of thousands of years ago. Rather than kill Illidan, he conscripts him into the Legion once more and demands that he destroy the Lich King who has grown so powerful that Kil'jeaden can no longer control him.

Illidan returns to Azeroth and tries to use a spell to destroy Northrend and the Frozen Throne but is stopped by Malfurion who believes the spell will destroy Azeroth. The Frozen Throne is cracked by the spell however, which causes the Lich King's powers to begin draining and allows Sylvanas and the Forsaken to break free from the Scourge. Arthas travels to the Frozen Throne where he defeats Illidan in combat and merges with the Lich King.

And then we hit the WOW timeline. Obviously there's more detail to actions and nuance in terms of motivations but that's all the important bits I remember that would be relevant to this expansion in some way.

Fjordson

Word. Bolvar is immediately involved in fighting the Legion in DK artifact/class hall quests. No waiting to 7.2 necessary.
Shit I didn't know this. Awesome.

anyone know what Genn Greymane meant when he said "this is not the same Legion"? any lore that i missed or whatever that we were supposed to know?
I just took it as him / they realizing that this is something different and more powerful than the Burning Legion we took down in Burning Crusade.

I think my new favorite character is Genn Greymane. I had no idea who he was before the Broken Isle scenario, but he is such a badass. I love how he is just tearing guys apart and Varian has to tell him to calm down.

Plus, he has excellent taste in clothing.
Indeed. Greymane is an OG.

Magnus

How do you actually do one of the level 100 trials? Do you just boost a character and cancel before the end of the tutorial, and then it'll refund your token?

Robin64

How do you actually do one of the level 100 trials? Do you just boost a character and cancel before the end of the tutorial, and then it'll refund your token?

You create a new character and at the top is a toggle to make it a level 100 trial. Once you're done with the trial, you can then spend a boost token on it to keep it.

Magnus

You create a new character and at the top is a toggle to make it a level 100 trial. Once you're done with the trial, you can then spend a boost token on it to keep it.

I don't see that toggle/option anywhere. I have the Level 100 token at the top of my screen. When I create a new character using it, I don't see a Trial option

e90Mark

Anyone play Alliance on Sargeras-US, if so how is it? I have Alliance toons on Darkspear and Horde on Illidan, want an Alliance PVE server to start some toons on since I currently have RAF going.

I mainly play on Sarg-US, and it's great, but it's a PVP server.

Robin64

I don't see that toggle/option anywhere. I have the Level 100 token at the top of my screen. When I create a new character using it, I don't see a Trial option

Oh, right, Class Trials aren't in yet. The new boosted experience is, which is just a small bit of training on an airship before Broken Shore, but the actual Trial feature is longer. Won't be there til Legion launch.

Fjordson

Missed this. I play there and it's a a really good server, but it's technically PVP. Though you wouldn't know it usually since it's mostly alliance as far as population.

But yeah, great server. Super active with a solid raiding scene.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I just took it as him / they realizing that this is something different and more powerful than the Burning Legion we took down in Burning Crusade.

that was my first thought on it, too, but i didn't know if they meant something more with all of the alternate universe fuckery (i know there is only one Legion).

i had to brush up on the time stuff again, if I'm correct, it makes more sense to basically think of alternate draenor as part of what powers the caverns of time stuff -- and essentially all of the different scenarios in CoT are different scenarios in different timelines, not necessarily "our timeline"?

i don't know, it always gets crazy with time stuff

erawsd

The Shaman class hall campaign doesn't center around Thrall does it?

...Does it?

Tagged just in folks find the answer spoilery:

Nope. Hes involved at the very start and thats it. Its actually kinda weird that he doesnt stick around to advise/help out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Even the class boost stuff isn't fully in.

I was forced to play Disc for a boost on a Priest.

"forced" until you pressed a button to switch specs

edi: oh wait you mean the training shit, my bad

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you ever want what in my opinion is the most nostalgic WoW video. It's this. It's the whole reason I rerolled Shaman.
Tagged just in folks find the answer spoilery:

Nope. Hes involved at the very start and thats it. Its actually kinda weird that he doesnt stick around to advise/help out.

thank god.

I'm the World Shaman now.

So people being flagged as PVP in the world events/invasions is a bug? Made tab targetting on my hunter kind of a pain during an invasion. And it probably sucked for the people flagged with all of the AoE being thrown around in those insane melee scrums.

"forced" until you pressed a button to switch specs

edi: oh wait you mean the training shit, my bad

Well, it kind of sucks that you're forced to choose a spec you don't want when you boost a character and then have to farm some gear for the spec you do want to play as. Not that it takes long.

Measley

Has anyone gotten more than one weapon from an invasion yet?

Both my Monk and Shaman have gotten the one handed axe, but neither of them have gotten a second weapon of any kind yet.

I got two axes at the same time. One axe was found in the bigger legion box, and the other was found in the smaller box. The guy on here who told me just to do the invasions to get axes was right on the money.

So it's probably worthwhile to do some invasions on my 87 Warrior for some invasion gear for when it's 100? With how the next couple of weeks are going I dunno when I'll have it to cap even though I sort of wanted to main a Warrior for Legion. May just have to run with my Hunter, Paladin or Demon Hunter for the start of Legion.

I may just stick with the Demon Hunter for now since it's mobility trumps even a Warriors. It just sucks that it has no main or secondary professions. No even defaulted to skinning/leather working. I guess I could try and speed boost those a bit through WoD content. Or just buy mats off of the AH and level up to 300 with the old fashioned mats.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kind of incredible we did an entire expansion on the birth place of shamanism with the primal eleemnts and didn't have a shaman class quest

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll just have to keep trying. I don't have the felbat yet and I'm still in the process of upgrading weapons, so I'm gonna be doing them for awhile yet regardless. I also need the plate and cloth transmog sets.

The mail set looks pretty good. Not too fond of the leather set, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gonna try and get some vacation time for Legion launch but I doubt I can get it (I dont even know if anyone already has time scheduled for those days). I am off work on monday/tuesday of the launch anyway so I should stay up monday at midnight when it launches, I havent been part of a expansion launch since... wrath I think (the ones after I was always working midnight that night), should be fun

Strimei

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll just have to keep trying. I don't have the felbat yet and I'm still in the process of upgrading weapons, so I'm gonna be doing them for awhile yet regardless. I also need the plate and cloth transmog sets.

The mail set looks pretty good. Not too fond of the leather set, though.

You've got plenty of time, at least! Plus the rate of invasions will speed up over the next few weeks so it'll be even easier to farm.

Sölf

HOTFIX: Increased the health of many low-level Classic dungeon enemies.
Oh god, yes. I took a quick look at Ragefire, Stockades and Blackfathom (since I did them on a new toon yesterday and today). Seems health was increased by 33% to over 100% depending on the mob. Blackfathom, which had really low health pools to begin with (sub 2k mobs, 10k-12k bosses) now has over 3k mob and 20k-27k boss health. It's not much, but it's a start. I think they could still increase the upgraded health by 50%, including the outside world. It's ridiculous how fast stuff dies, even though they bumped up the difficulty in later WoD a bit. Seems the new talents and what not killed the difficulty yet again.

Strimei

A new Alliance graveyard has been added in Azshara near to the Illidari anti-invasion camp.

Oh god, that was needed. I know that graveyard placement in opposite faction zones is a bit far (as I recall, Horde spirits find themselves in the Eastvale Lumber place) but the schlep from Gallywix's manor thing was stupidly far and especially annoying because of how you could get stuck in the crevices.

Top Bottom