• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Kain

Just saw the Horde side of the events, lol Thrall and Vol'jin, such losers.

Tirion was not in a very good place, either (the guy who destroyed the Frostmourne is killed by a random big demon?), but compared to those two...

Interfectum

Tirion was not in a very good place, either (the guy who destroyed the Frostmourne is killed by a random big demon?), but compared to those two...

I like that they did that. It shows the entire Legion is to be feared and anyone can be cut down at any time.

Ashodin

Uh? Gul'dan did the equivalent of holding Tirion's head underwater and let him drown in Fel. Shit was fucked up.

cdyhybrid

The big demon is a raid boss in Nighthold.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This legion is too strong, its time to go ask Bolvar for some help in 7.2, you heard it here first :3

Wait, technically the only person that knew thag Bolvar is the new Lich King was Tirion and since he's toast, welp...

Rizzi

This legion is too strong, its time to go ask Bolvar for some help in 7.2, you heard it here first :3

Wait, technically the only person that knew thag Bolvar is the new Lich King was Tirion and since he's toast, welp...

The Death Knights know.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Uh? Gul'dan did the equivalent of holding Tirion's head underwater and let him drown in Fel. Shit was fucked up.

When Tirion breaks out of the ice block in ICC and breaks Frostmourne, he says "light, give me one last blessing" He's totally tapped out at this point. He may even be running a light-debt.

But for reals, I figure it may just be the Tomb of Sargeras just being so inundated with fel at that point that it's essentially acting as a dampener on light-based powers. Or Tirion is just getting old and weak. All options are on the table!

The Death Knights know.

Word. Bolvar is immediately involved in fighting the Legion in DK artifact/class hall quests. No waiting to 7.2 necessary.

cdyhybrid

Nope.

DKs work for Bolvar in exchange for power in their class hall campaign.

Ashodin

When Tirion breaks out of the ice block in ICC and breaks Frostmourne, he says "light, give me one last blessing" He's totally tapped out at this point. He may even be running a light-debt.

But for reals, I figure it may just be the Tomb of Sargeras just being so inundated with fel at that point that it's essentially acting as a dampener on light-based powers. Or Tirion is just getting old and weak. All options are on the table!

Word. Bolvar is immediately involved in fighting the Legion in DK artifact/class hall quests. No waiting to 7.2 necessary.
It's likely both. Tirion went to go retire in Hearthglen to teach new recruits (after he kicked out the Scarlet assholes to their hut in southeast region (cough cough Brotherhood of the WhiteLight)

Lomax

They really should continue the invasions after launch. Just do one a day or something. Keep the world active like this. And they really need to develop more event style content to be this way.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They really should continue the invasions after launch. Just do one a day or something. Keep the world active like this. And they really need to develop more event style content to be this way.

The world quests are supposed to be doing that.

Lomax

The world quests are supposed to be doing that.

Do the world quests exist outside of the Isles? I mean, that's great and a good start, but that's still going to feel isolated from the rest of the already existing world. They could develop holiday events like this, have the weekly event be something more than a simple buff, and actually drive some content that isn't just for max level characters looking to get their daily fix.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Out of curiosity, how does the Lich King factor into the Legion?

Wasn't it one of the Dreadlords (err, Mal'Ganis) that told Arthas to venture to Northrend/Icecrown to go get the Frozen Throne, etc. etc.

Interfectum

It is a weirdly cool feeling to see these old zones so active. This game has been a part of my life for so long I've developed attachments to old, virtual landmarks. lol

I think my new favorite character is Genn Greymane. I had no idea who he was before the Broken Isle scenario, but he is such a badass. I love how he is just tearing guys apart and Varian has to tell him to calm down.

Plus, he has excellent taste in clothing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Do the world quests exist outside of the Isles? I mean, that's great and a good start, but that's still going to feel isolated from the rest of the already existing world. They could develop holiday events like this, have the weekly event be something more than a simple buff, and actually drive some content that isn't just for max level characters looking to get their daily fix.

i agree, i like the idea of making events happen on the rest of Azeroth.

anyone know what Genn Greymane meant when he said "this is not the same Legion"? any lore that i missed or whatever that we were supposed to know?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't looked up too much specifically on the class campaigns mostly because they're one of the few story elements I want to experience as I go. But it makes me think the Priest one will continue to have its issues that it has with Shadow. That the Priest class itself is centered around Holy and that, with rare exceptions, all their flavor almost always reflects that. Even the Old God sets are given to Warlocks because they don't fit the Holy Priests. The Mythic BRF tier is the only recent tier I can think of that fits Shadow more than Holy or Disc.

like I'm not going to go take over an army of the leftover silithids and mantids or eat a bunch of peoples brains. I'm going to go around and cure and heal people and talk to a naaru.
Out of curiosity, how does the Lich King factor into the Legion?

Wasn't it one of the Dreadlords (err, Mal'Ganis) that told Arthas to venture to Northrend/Icecrown to go get the Frozen Throne, etc. etc.

Ner'zhul was a servant of the Legion and given power to provide the Legion with undead pets because, If I remember right, Kil'jaeden thought the Orcs weren't working out and wanted to use the Undead forces as their invading army even though Mannoroth wanted to continue using the orcs. Ner'zhul betrayed him with his new power and had his soul stuck in the Lich King helmet. Arthas was told by Mal'ganis to go get the helmet and Frostmourne so he could open up a portal for them or weaken the Azeroth forces(can't remember which) via the Legion then Arthas got it and Ner'zhul was like 'yo fuck this Legion bullshit. They'll betray you too'

so basically Lich King is the Burning Legion's rebellious son

cdyhybrid

No, but that's intentional. They want people doing the new content.

The Stranglethorn fishing event is supposed to become a world quest in a patch. That's about it for non-Broken Isles world quests though.

Sölf

I would love to see Blizzard developing those zone wide events and just releasing them over time. There are so many zones with so many stories that they could do various things. Some Iron Horde attack in any of the WoD zones. Bandits stealing stuff in Elwyn. Some Troll shenaningans in Stranglethorn. What I have seen of the scaling tech it's great with a few things not working that good (a level 23 that has a debuff that disappears after taking 100k damage when he has only 2k health, well... xD). I hope within the next few years, Blizzard will have all zones and dungeons included in this tech.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the benefits of RP realms is you do see people all over the world doing stuff. It does help the world feel a lot more alive even if you're not interested in the RP yourself.

Just don't go in the taverns.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ner'zhul was a servant of the Legion and given power to provide the Legion with undead pets because, If I remember right, Kil'jaeden thought the Orcs weren't working out and wanted to use the Undead forces as their invading army even though Mannoroth wanted to continue using the orcs. Ner'zhul betrayed him with his new power and had his soul stuck in the Lich King helmet. Arthas was told by Mal'ganis to go get the helmet and Frostmourne so he could open up a portal for them or weaken the Azeroth forces(can't remember which) via the Legion then Arthas got it and Ner'zhul was like 'yo fuck this Legion bullshit. They'll betray you too'

so basically Lich King is the Burning Legion's rebellious son

There's a few corrections here:
-Ner'Zhul (the Orc) never worked for the Legion willingly. After he blew up Draenor, Kil'Jaeden snatched his soul and basically said "ok you help us conquer Azeroth or I torture you for eternity." NZ agreed, but KJ still didn't trust him so bound his soul into ice-encased armor, thus creating the lich king
-Arthas' arc was mostly manipluated by NZ himself to work towards his freedom from the Legion, not part of the larger Legion plan. Or at least, the Legion just assumed he would just be a powerful Scourge agent and help take out the Human kingdoms, but not much beyond that. Arthas going to Icecrown to put on the helmet (he already had Frostmourne since before he was a DK) was 100% him and NZ scheming, the Legion was actually actively trying to prevent that.

zeemumu

I'm not going to use my 100 boost on an Alliance because I want to see the events of Wow from their point of view. I've only seen Alliance up to BC, and that was pre-Cataclysm.

The Legion scenario was brutal though. I wonder if any of the demons fished Ashbringer out of the fel lava. If it's even intact(doubt it) it's likely corrupted.

cdyhybrid

Sölf;213285339 said:
I would love to see Blizzard developing those zone wide events and just releasing them over time. There are so many zones with so many stories that they could do various things. Some Iron Horde attack in any of the WoD zones. Bandits stealing stuff in Elwyn. Some Troll shenaningans in Stranglethorn. What I have seen of the scaling tech it's great with a few things not working that good (a level 23 that has a debuff that disappears after taking 100k damage when he has only 2k health, well... xD). I hope within the next few years, Blizzard will have all zones and dungeons included in this tech.
That will come at the cost of new content though. I imagine if they do another Cata-esque overhaul of the world they'll implement the scaling and scenario tech though.

zeemumu

Tirion is strong but it's not improbable that Gul'Dan could take him down. Arthas could've shoved him off the top of the citadel while he was frozen in that block of ice.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You could also go into the argument that the Ashbringer wasn't giving him the power it was before because it had decided there was a new Ashbringer at this point anyways

Lomax

i agree, i like the idea of making events happen on the rest of Azeroth.

anyone know what Genn Greymane meant when he said "this is not the same Legion"? any lore that i missed or whatever that we were supposed to know?

Both sides made that exact point, so it must have some meaning.

No, but that's intentional. They want people doing the new content.

People say this, but the only reality of it is that they want people to buy the expansions, which is true. Which is why most of their time and effort goes there of course. But once you've bought the expansion, Blizzard doesn't care at all what keeps you subscribing, which is why they try to provide content for a wide variety of player types. And making some updated use of 12 years of old content makes more sense than just pretending this game is brand new every two years.

That will come at the cost of new content though. I imagine if they do another Cata-esque overhaul of the world they'll implement the scaling and scenario tech though.

I'm not looking for a content overhaul. I'm looking for content like the invasions, content that works for all levels, or even content that works only for max levels but involves pre-existing stuff. Content that doesn't have to become instantly obsolete whenever a new content patch hits. They are doing that some with the artifact quests, there's no reason they can't continue it. Besides, the zero sum argument just hasn't panned out, they did as little "alternate content" as you could possibly have in WoD and it didn't result in more max level content.

Sölf

What do you mean, zone events or scaling or both? As for the events, I wouldn't mind just adding one or two in a patch, so that we would get them over time until each zone has one. The latter would just be great to make the whole world relevant again. I am not even sure if it is a cata overhaul, as the "only" things changed would be mobs and rewards. Quests and the map layout wouldn't change.

B00TE

One of the benefits of RP realms is you do see people all over the world doing stuff. It does help the world feel a lot more alive even if you're not interested in the RP yourself.

Just don't go in the taverns.

Or Silvermoon City. I'm one of those folks who plays on an RP realm without much interest in it, but I like seeing it, feels like it adds to the world, etc. But I went to Silvermoon after hearing my friends who do RP talk about it and I was not prepared. It did remind me how much I like the music of Silvermoon/Blood Elf areas tho.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, "killed". Dude's come back more times than a comic character.

Speaking of that, especially the comic book comparison, seeing all the demons that we already killed kinda deflated me a bit. Like The Legion just keeps coming back so whats the point of killing them? I know thats nothing new nor is they reusing bosses but it jumped out at me more this time, a villain that will just return indefinitely when defeated isnt a very good villain story wise imo.

Rhaknar

yeah they should have cut pvp off for this

its insane and it seems like i'm only playing with horde players

I tab targeted someone with Doom and god flagged for it in a horde invasion, the rest of that invasion wasnt fun :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Bolvar finally doing something. Awww yiss.

Red Lich King is here boyz

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just hope we make it all the way through Legion without the Shaman Order Hall being nerfed

people falling off the ledge brings me such joy

Top Bottom