• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, they really need to buff up the AP rewards for longer dungeons, it's really dumb how the only dungeon people wanna do in the dungeon finder is Maw.

StuffRuff

fairly certain ive made more money in the few months this xpac has been out then all the other ones combined

sitting at 450k gold right now, most i ever had pre legion was close to 100k and ive bought multiple luxury items like the expedition yak

i didnt make a shitton of cash in WoD cuz I only play one character

On the subject of money, I've only just returned to WoW this month after not playing since Cata and having learned a bit about WoW Tokens, are people generally paying for their subscriptions with in game gold now? Or is it not feasible to make enough to cover it that way?

v1perz53

Personally I hate it (in group play). Every GCD spent on crusader strike or any Holy Shock spent on a mob is more chances for people to bite the dust than needed. Being in melee range means chances to get stunned, silenced, feared etc are higher and if the mob does some form of aoe dmg having myself in there means adding another body to heal up.
And don't get me started on losing a shield for that dumb 2h which means less block chances when mounting up which means getting dazed and dismounted more often.

You only get dazed when hit from behind, and when hit from behind you can't block anyway, so it doesn't affect your daze chance (though I'm not sure base 5% block chance ever did either). And the holy artifact gives 25% HP, so H pal has a bigger HP pool than other healers to compensate for loss of shield, you generally end up ahead in PvE due to this since as a healer rarely would armor/block have saved you vs more max HP, though in PvP armor from a shield may have been better. But really you are saying you don't like having more options? Don't use Holy Shocks or Crusader Strikes on mobs if people are at risk of biting the dust, but certainly if everyone is at 100% HP wouldn't you rather be able to add to damage as opposed to sitting there doing noting? And I can count on one hand the times that being in melee range but behind the mobs would put you at risk of anything, everything these days is frontal cone. But again, just don't go in melee range any time you are worried? Being able to do damage as a healer is optional, no one is forcing you to do so. But at the same time, when I play a healer that can't really add damage (resto shaman on AoE for example) I feel so worthless on easier content, makes me miss something like Hpal's DPS potential.

Really, people thinking having more options is a bad thing has always baffled me. Stand at ranged and heal normally for the first 15 times you do a mythic run. But on your 16th run, I'm sure you will know when you can safely go in and add DPS, and at that time when your tank is self-healing for 90% of the damage he takes won't you be happy you can do something other than sit on your hands and feel useless? I think the DPS potential of H pal or MW Monk is the best thing they've added to this game, allows the specs to feel fun solo and really add something to dungeon runs where less healing is required, makes playing some of the healers that don't have as solid of a DPS potential feel so much worse (R sham again).

Lain

You only get dazed when hit from behind, and when hit from behind you can't block anyway, so it doesn't affect your daze chance (though I'm not sure base 5% block chance ever did either). And the holy artifact gives 25% HP, so H pal has a bigger HP pool than other healers to compensate for loss of shield, you generally end up ahead in PvE due to this since as a healer rarely would armor/block have saved you vs more max HP, though in PvP armor from a shield may have been better. But really you are saying you don't like having more options? Don't use Holy Shocks or Crusader Strikes on mobs if people are at risk of biting the dust, but certainly if everyone is at 100% HP wouldn't you rather be able to add to damage as opposed to sitting there doing noting? And I can count on one hand the times that being in melee range but behind the mobs would put you at risk of anything, everything these days is frontal cone. But again, just don't go in melee range any time you are worried? Being able to do damage as a healer is optional, no one is forcing you to do so. But at the same time, when I play a healer that can't really add damage (resto shaman on AoE for example) I feel so worthless on easier content, makes me miss something like Hpal's DPS potential.

Really, people thinking having more options is a bad thing has always baffled me. Stand at ranged and heal normally for the first 15 times you do a mythic run. But on your 16th run, I'm sure you will know when you can safely go in and add DPS, and at that time when your tank is self-healing for 90% of the damage he takes won't you be happy you can do something other than sit on your hands and feel useless? I think the DPS potential of H pal or MW Monk is the best thing they've added to this game, allows the specs to feel fun solo and really add something to dungeon runs where less healing is required, makes playing some of the healers that don't have as solid of a DPS potential feel so much worse (R sham again).

I only know that I've never been dazed and dismounted as much before as I do in this expansion, so much so that now I only go around in the prot spec to avoid it. More HP is nice but it comes from the equip effect, they could have given that out even with making it a 1h hammer and a shield.

Speaking of more options, I don't feel like I'm given more options when my mastery requires me to be close to people I want to heal for it to work, I feel like I'm forced into it to be honest. And no, I don't like going to hit a mob when I'm playing a healer in a group, because if I'm playing a healer it's because I want to heal people, not to hit things over the head. If people are sitting at 100% HPs I'd rather throw out some exorcism (you're still missed, spell) and other range spells than going into melee, but even sitting there doing nothing is fine with me, just like I was fine mostly spamming 1 heal with my Kara libram back in TBC while some other found that boring.
The melee Holy Paladin isn't something I find fun or interesting in group play. It's something I find fun just when I'm soloing. It'd be different probably if that melee I was doing turned into healing for the party, though I'm not completely sure.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Weekly chest results:

885 boots on Paladin (downgrade as I have the shit run speed legendary)
875 neck on Shaman (1% upgrade)
885 bracers on Hunter (downgrade as I have the legendary ones)

Most disapointed with the Paladin's loot as he's only 863 and half my gear is still 855 but they give me an 885 on the one slot where it couldn't have been an upgrade. On the plus side I finally got Burnished Quel'Serrar for my Paladin which I'm really happy with.

TheYanger

On the subject of money, I've only just returned to WoW this month after not playing since Cata and having learned a bit about WoW Tokens, are people generally paying for their subscriptions with in game gold now? Or is it not feasible to make enough to cover it that way?

It's completely feasible, that said it's certainly not something most people do (the price of the token would rise more if that happened).

VA2nCqp.jpg

BRB throwing self off cliff.

3rd legendary, still not Anger of the Half-Giants.

I'm hoping that when I get every single 0dps legendary for my class it unlocks a set bonus of some kind. It's all I've got to hang onto at this point.

Son1x

Thanks again weekly chest!

885 boots with shitty stats (using 865 ones) on my rdruid and a 865 belt for my monk alt, who has the legendary belt but otherwise has ilvl 858.

Mupod

This is the first Tuesday since 7.1 that nobody in my guild has found a legendary at all. We usually see lots, at least 4-5. I don't like wearing a tin foil hat but after the last few bugs and totally intentional legendary drop limitations, it's hard not to.

Knch

His old item was 870 the one that dropped was 860 he didn't need it.

Get the personal loot helper addon, it will automagically spam chat if anyone gets anything which is an upgrade for anyone else. Guilting people into giving others loot is fun!

Get the personal loot helper addon, it will automagically spam chat if anyone gets anything which is an upgrade for anyone else. Guilting people into giving others loot is fun!
Yeah, don't do this. It will make us feel like it was a mistake to invite you.

Ask nicely if you want, but that add-on is just annoying.

biaxident

Yeah, don't do this. It will make us feel like it was a mistake to invite you.

Ask nicely if you want, but that add-on is just annoying.

I love the add on, get asked all the time what the name of the add on is so they can get it too. Only annoying thing is everyone whispers me for gear, I have to tell them I didn't get anything but the add on listed my name saying so and so looted blah.

Read the blizzard posts about shadow priests, still baffled they like Lotv as a 100 talent. "It's good to have a passive option", so why is it not baseline? Surrender increases our damage by like 100% on certain bosses, and lotv is just hey you have an easy time doing dps, but you're damage will suck. I wish they'd just kill surrender since they clearly can never balance it. Love the play style, most intense gameplay I've ever experienced in the game, but every patch nerfing it is getting old. Scrap it, make the new talent an execute phase damage buff, and buff shadow across the board.

Magnus

Watching the Twitch Dev Q&A live right now.

Damn, are warlocks in as bad shape as they sound? Ion is basically just apologizing and saying yeah it's broken, and we'll get to it, but it wasn't a priority in the 7.1.5 cycle.

carlsojo

Damn, are warlocks in as bad shape as they sound? Ion is basically just apologizing and saying yeah it's broken, and we'll get to it, but it wasn't a priority in the 7.1.5 cycle.

basically the numbers are ok but they're not fun

bring back MoP destro plz

cdyhybrid

Damn, forgot this was today. I'll watch the VOD I guess.

That's cool that they admit it. Shame it'll take longer.

But glad they're working on it

Lomax

If I could have one single change to my demo lock, it would be to make it so if a mob dies with doom on it, you get the shard. Would make little to no impact in raiding and on bosses, but would make solo play and clearing trash so much better.

Magnus

3-5 minute long loading screens for Dalaran?! Holy shit. That sounds awful.

My Dal loads are 3-7 seconds (thanks to an SSD). I couldn't handle much longer.

Magnus

Ion is basically admitting right now that raw throughout legendaries were a mistake. Universally-useful vs Situationally-useful ones are a regret.

Ion is basically admitting right now that raw throughout legendaries were a mistake. Universally-useful vs Situationally-useful ones are a regret.

Which legs were a mistake? Like, if it's character specific it's fine. Things like Sephus or Pryaz are not.

cdyhybrid

3-5 minute long loading screens for Dalaran?! Holy shit. That sounds awful.

My Dal loads are 3-7 seconds (thanks to an SSD). I couldn't handle much longer.

No SSD here. Load times are brutal.

At least they recognize the issue.

Magnus

Which legs were a mistake? Like, if it's character specific it's fine. Things like Sephus or Pryaz are not.

He's saying he wishes all legendaries were neat utility ones like Seph and Pry. Or the warlock portal pants. Etc. He wasn't saying class-specific ones vs class-agnostic ones. The existence of the ones with universal throughput increases inadvertently makes ones like Seph/Pry feel shitty, whereas Seph/Pry would have felt awesome in the absence of other better legendaries competing for attention.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's saying he wishes all legendaries were neat utility ones like Seph and Pry. Or the warlock portal pants. Etc. He wasn't saying class-specific ones vs class-agnostic ones. The existence of the ones with universal throughput increases inadvertently makes ones like Seph/Pry feel shitty, whereas Seph/Pry would have felt awesome in the absence of other better legendaries competing for attention.

He's not wrong. Stuff like the protection warrior gloves make all our other options look like crap. Take those out and everything else looks far better.

ew.

Just having neat utility ones would be boring af

v1perz53

ew.

Just having neat utility ones would be boring af

There are posts like this, and there are the people who are planning their own suicide because they got 4 non-DPS legendaries. The only way to balance legendaries in a system where they are random drop is to make them utility/survivability only. As soon as you give them DPS benefits, you either need to make them all have the same DPS benefit (how is this not boring? and it is also impossible) or the system doesn't work. You could have the current legendaries but with tokens or currency that lets you buy any legendary, but then everyone runs around with the same item, also boring. Or you could make them all utility/survivability so that when you get one you go "oh cool that is a high ilvl item and I will die less now in raids" vs raging that it isn't the one that makes your class actually viable. A good compromise in my mind would be utility only legendaries that are high ilvl, but let people reforge them. Then any legendary becomes a perfectly itemized for your class high ilvl piece for that slot, with a cool extra effect.

With the current system, especially now that people have 4+ legendaries, it is getting to the point where you are gambling on your class even being accepted to a raid guild based on what legendaries you have, because if you don't there is certainly someone else they can recruit that does have it.

Their weird RtB vs SnD fixation gets weirder every time they talk about it. They want to say RtB is the class fantasy and is untouchable, but then immediately talk about how they want to continually buff the ability that removes the class fantasy. Just remove SnD. RtB is more dynamic than combat ever was (and certainly more dynamic than Outlaw SnD). Tune that, not SnD.

At least they realize the mistakes with the always useful output legendaries versus situational and utility ones.

He talked about not wanting classes to feel like they needed the right legendaries to keep up, with the solution being to nerf those legendaries slightly but bring up baseline power.

Right idea. Why is the opposite happening with Outlaw? Nerfs to Blade Flurry and Stratagem, and the powerful DPS legendaries that you already need to be competitive are getting significant buffs.

cdyhybrid

Their weird RtB vs SnD fixation gets weirder every time they talk about it. They want to say RtB is the class fantasy and is untouchable, but then immediately talk about how they want to continually buff the ability that removes the class fantasy. Just remove SnD. RtB is more dynamic than combat ever was (and certainly more dynamic than Outlaw SnD). Tune that, not SnD.

At least they realize the mistakes with the always useful output legendaries versus situational and utility ones.

He talked about not wanting classes to feel like they needed the right legendaries to keep up, with the solution being to nerf those legendaries slightly but bring up baseline power.

Right idea. Why is the opposite happening with Outlaw? Nerfs to Blade Flurry and Stratagem, and the powerful DPS legendaries that you already need to be competitive are getting significant buffs.
Yup. It's weird. Shrink the variance for RtB and you still get the slight variances in rotation depending on what buffs you get, but you also don't drop off the meters if you roll poorly.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It may have been a mistake to make legendary items that always increase throughput. Items like Sephuz would have been very exciting in the past, but it is no longer exciting because of the alternatives you have, such as the Fire Mage bracers.

Greater Blessing of Might is a failed design.

Destruction lost something with being unable to generate partial Embers.

Gee, you think?

The team will continue to tune legendary items so you don't feel that you aren't viable without one, such as the legendary braces for Unholy.

There is never going to be a way in which this works without SIGNIFICANTLY nerfing either throughput legendaries or enemy health pools so that non-throughput groups can kill the same encounter. At best they can minimize the difference, but then the player with the DPS legendary feels gipped for having their item nerfed.

Yup. It's weird. Shrink the variance for RtB and you still get the slight variances in rotation depending on what buffs you get, but you also don't drop off the meters if you roll poorly.

What's interesting to me is that Blizz apparently is full-on refusing to alter RtB variance and smooth the outliers.

Like...if you're going to buff SnD to be an actual 'viable' alternative, the instant it gives more throughput (on average), a lot of people are going to switch.

With the current system, especially now that people have 4+ legendaries, it is getting to the point where you are gambling on your class even being accepted to a raid guild based on what legendaries you have, because if you don't there is certainly someone else they can recruit that does have it.

people keep saying this

if a guild is determing apps by what legendaries they have, it's a douchebag guild anyways.

cdyhybrid

The only way to balance throughput legendaries with utility ones is to remove the throughput - because throughput is your job as a player.

people keep saying this

if a guild is determing apps by what legendaries they have, it's a douchebag guild anyways.

Wanting to play to your character to its maximum potential to clear difficult content does not make you a douchebag.

Babalu.

Paladin

• Greater Blessing of Might is a failed design
    Greater Blessing of Might is a failed design
    Greater Blessing of Might is a failed design. The thought was to capture some of the hybrid element of the class, but at the same time the team was nervous about balance.
  • If you are buffing someone significantly by being there, can you do the same amount of damage as a pure DPS class? If the answer is no, a lot of people might not want to sign up for that. If the answer is yes, you are just better than everyone.
  • The team tried to credit the contribution of the Paladin to the Paladin, which resulted in whoever got the blessing being unhappy. The Paladin isn't happy either, so no one is happy.
  • The team hasn't come up with a good solution for Patch 7.1.5, but they will continue to work on it and scrap it for a better design.

NO SHIT

Like...if you're going to buff SnD to be an actual 'viable' alternative, the instant it gives more throughput (on average), a lot of people are going to switch.

That's the deal. It's just a troublesome talent to have in the game. If it's viable, it's not just viable, it's better because it's more consistent. And if it's not viable, it's a talent that simultaneously lowers your output and makes your playstyle more mind numbing. RtB as the core of the class and viable SnD are mutually exclusive.

But hey, let's spend all the rogue time on tuning SnD.

v1perz53

Like I said

if a guild denies an applicant because they don't have a legendary, they're a douchebag guild.

people keep saying this

You're looking at it from the wrong way. If a guild denies you because you don't have a legendary, that is a douchebag guild. But if they are trying to fill a slot and two people apply, one with a legendary and one without, they would be fools not to take the one with the item that gives their class a higher ceiling on damage. Even if the player with the legendary is slightly worse, they are still often chosen because it is easier for someone to get better at the game than win the legendary lotto, and some legendaries are so powerful that the theoretical gain they give is worth coaching a player up a bit.

It isn't always groups being douchebags, same as when you apply to Mythic+ groups with ~850 ilvl. It is just that while you are applying, there are also better people applying, and you will never be as good of an applicant as them because you got less lucky with a DPS legendary.

v1perz53

Support classes just don't work with the current WoW design. Both Kings and Wisdom are awesome in theory, but they've been nerfed to the point of being completely inconsequential. But that was necessary, because even forgetting about might for a second, if Kings/Wisdom were strong, every raid would need X ret paladins, depending on the optimal use. Then either ret damage is balanced with DPS and they are OP as fuck, or they do less damage than other specs because of utility and are benched when you don't need that utility. Then there is the Might problem, where you don't do your full damage unless you are in a group, and it is kind of a fire and forget nothingness kind of thing.

Whats weird is that I don't see nearly as many people complaining about Stormlash, even though it is virtually the same thing as Might. Maybe hiding it away and making it passive makes people care less? Stormlash is also stupid, just weird that people seem to care less about it.

The thing that's really frustrating about getting the 3rd legendary that's bad to mediocre is that it'll be that much longer before I get another chance at rolling an actual good one. It was already around 1.5-2 months between the second and third legendary. Now I'm just depressed because going out and doing content will have a very slim chance at providing another for a long time. Feels like there's little incentive to put in extra time.

Top Bottom