• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

mclem

This one doesn't surprise me. People who play World of Warcraft, probably don't have a knack for platforming or tight movement skills. As someone who spent a bunch of time playing Crash or Mario 64, I find platforming a satisfying technique in a game like this.(Another one is Destiny, I frequently love to 'break' out of the confined spaces)

While fighting Odyn, I've discovered we have a rogue who doesn't sidestep.

I'm still trying to get my head around how that's even possible.

Takes a little under an hour when only people from our raid does it.

These dudes wasted an insane amount of time and it was crazy how many breaks we took, we're in and out in our alt-heroic. Never seen such an inefficient raid before.

Ahahah. Join us sometime. You have no idea how lucky you are.

Mupod

I forgot how 'fun' raging necrotic was. At least we got a bit lucky with keys and found a 9 Nelth's that turned into an 11 Nelth's. Raging scorpions will suck but we'll manage. Overall Necrotic doesn't hurt too much in that dungeon, the mob packs mostly aren't huge and the pelter-types don't apply Necrotic.

The cat druid part of my 5-man squad is taking a few weeks off because he's in the military or something. He has been replaced by a competent guildie mage. Holy shit is this what it's like to actually run with a working group composition and not just a bunch of single target melee? The Kara speedrun was so much easier (nothing against our cat druid). The worst pull (firelands portal mobs) was dead before we even used our second stun.

I need an Eye of Command now off the last boss in Kara.

Apparently if I get it with the 880 chest I got today it's 30% stronger :O

We've killed Nightbane every week except the first, and all 5 of us have used a bonus roll each time. We've seen two chests drop...for the same person. So you're done with the hard part, at least...

Ark

Ahahah. Join us sometime. You have no idea how lucky you are.

Without sounding rude, it does surprise me that some guilds take so long to clear heroic in one night. We usually clear it in an hour, but we recently absorbed another guild, so we took a bunch of their socials to our HC clear to see if any were any good. Thing is, our raiders slack like fuck when it comes to HC, so those two things combined made it a 90-minute run, which is long for us.

We've basically spent this raid tier building up our core team for Nighthold mythic progress. We're nothing amazing, just 3/7m with 1.5hours of Dragons' practice, but considering where we were just a few weeks ago, we're almost totally set. Our logs are muuuch better too.

Didn't think I'd end up getting back into semi-hardcore raiding, but this shit is like a drug I just can't stop.

Need the fucking prot warrior legendary gloves though. God damn RNG.

Nokterian

Boosted a death knight got all my 3 artifacts..what spec is most to play even when leveling and at level 110? Tanking with blood off course but i juggling between Unholy and Frost.

Mupod

Boosted a death knight got all my 3 artifacts..what spec is most to play even when leveling and at level 110? Tanking with blood off course but i juggling between Unholy and Frost.

Blood is great for leveling. Mobs won't be able to even dent you and you can pull huge packs at once. Instant queues for dungeons of course. The flimsiness of the DPS specs really bothered me while leveling, especially Frost felt like it was made of paper.

Unholy has always felt awkward to me, especially its AOE capabilities which require some planning and setup to be effective. I started off playing Unholy as my DPS spec and even once I got used to the playstyle, it didn't feel like a well thought out or complete spec. It especially was unsuited to dungeons and mythic raid encounters with a lot of fast target switching.

Frost is almost too straightforward but it's a fun active playstyle. Switched to it once they made it viable and never looked back to Unholy. Nevermind that I was absolutely destroying my Unholy DPS even without a legendary, including on single targets. In mythic+ I'm an absolute monster and probably do double what I would as Unholy.

Nokterian

Blood is great for leveling. Mobs won't be able to even dent you and you can pull huge packs at once. Instant queues for dungeons of course. The flimsiness of the DPS specs really bothered me while leveling, especially Frost felt like it was made of paper.

Unholy has always felt awkward to me, especially its AOE capabilities which require some planning and setup to be effective. I started off playing Unholy as my DPS spec and even once I got used to the playstyle, it didn't feel like a well thought out or complete spec. It especially was unsuited to dungeons and mythic raid encounters with a lot of fast target switching.

Frost is almost too straightforward but it's a fun active playstyle. Switched to it once they made it viable and never looked back to Unholy. Nevermind that I was absolutely destroying my Unholy DPS even without a legendary, including on single targets. In mythic+ I'm an absolute monster and probably do double what I would as Unholy.

Will do blood then i do have a question the runes go soo slow in terms of repopping heartstrike for example. What is a good rotation to keep hitting?

v1perz53

I forgot how 'fun' raging necrotic was. At least we got a bit lucky with keys and found a 9 Nelth's that turned into an 11 Nelth's. Raging scorpions will suck but we'll manage. Overall Necrotic doesn't hurt too much in that dungeon, the mob packs mostly aren't huge and the pelter-types don't apply Necrotic.

11 Nelth was very doable, though we ended up CCing all pelters just to be safe, which was probably overkill. Almost let the big rock guy trash mob get off his frontal cone when raging though, that would not have been fun. Also Fortified/Raging Avalanche certainly one shot a few of our DPS, I wish it was a 1 second cast instead of 0.5, takes really fast reaction to stun/disorient to stop it as is now. Necrotic doesn't feel as bad this week as it did last time we tried it (though that might just be because I have 5 million HP now, and with Prydaz I'm walking into most pulls with an additional 1 million shield), but I still really hate it as an affix. I wish some bosses had a better Necrotic reset window, or that adds on boss fights didn't apply Necrotic. The 2nd boss in VotW can be a nightmare if you get unlucky and get the bigger packs of adds, they can get your stacks up to ~12-15 very quickly. On a Tyrannical week it is miserable.

Mupod

Will do blood then i do have a question the runes go soo slow in terms of repopping heartstrike for example. What is a good rotation to keep hitting?

Obviously not much you can do about stats while leveling but you need to get some haste, 20-25% is when rune regeneration starts feeling 'right'. Make sure you're standing in D&D while using heart strike as that makes it hit more targets. Blood boil costs nothing and does a decent chunk of damage on its own so make sure you're using it when it's up. Play around with talents, I'd recommend a talent build but it's looking like all the 'good' ones are going to get nerfed hard in 7.1.5 so it might be best to just experiment for now.

Rixxan

Any tips for mythic iggy?

We lust on second set of dominators (after phase 1 heart) and do a decent job until the second night horror spawns

Things kind of go to hell afterwards and we can get to one or two ichors away from getting back into the heart but inevitably we wipe

I don't think we are downing corruptors fast enough and interrupting dominators enough at that point because we lose a few along the way

Lomax

Does Master Trainer Flummox ever exist?

I have never seen him

Whenever I've seen him up, the quest popped at a weird time and seemed to only last a few hours. He's clearly on a different rotation than the normal pet world quests, which seems to be a common theme with a lot of the Suramar stuff.

Xeteh

First Arcanist Thalyssra says: Use caution. We don't want our withered to end up in cocoons.
First Arcanist Thalyssra says: Use caution. We don't want our withered to end up in cocoons.

K

TheYanger

We lust on second set of dominators (after phase 1 heart) and do a decent job until the second night horror spawns

Things kind of go to hell afterwards and we can get to one or two ichors away from getting back into the heart but inevitably we wipe

I don't think we are downing corruptors fast enough and interrupting dominators enough at that point because we lose a few along the way

Just can't lose focus, the timing of the second phase isn't any different from the first (at least appreciably) the main difference is that the corrupters spawn in the outback way off to the right then way off to the left, which you just have to have your ranged prepared to deal with. Otherwise your assignments and responsibilities should be the same, just a matter of knowing when to be on those tentacles, and when to be on the big dude. Right after the dominators die, it's just like the first time around - deathglares on the boss, and then 2 corrupters WAY off to the right, as soon as you're done dealing with the big aoe explosion, have your ranged off to take care of those asap, and have melee on the deathglares. Then you get a while to DPS the big dude, then you get 2 more deathglares and 2 more corrupters WAY off to the left. Then you should be finishing the big guy and getting the last batch of oozes in.

v1perz53

K

If nothing else, that bug finally gave me the motivation to find that frame with MoveAnything and move it to the side... Blizzard always has really odd ideas when it comes to where things should be positioned in their default UI. Super important information like your buffs/debuffs or Player/Target frames? Top left and right corners of your screen as far from your character and the action as possible. Stupid chat window that isn't necessary at all in combat? Dead center right below your character where all fight mechanics go.

mclem

Without sounding rude, it does surprise me that some guilds take so long to clear heroic in one night. We usually clear it in an hour, but we recently absorbed another guild, so we took a bunch of their socials to our HC clear to see if any were any good. Thing is, our raiders slack like fuck when it comes to HC, so those two things combined made it a 90-minute run, which is long for us.

Nah, I don't take it as rudeness, I just think you're doing easymode, I'm doing hardmode :)

(I think it's just a very different mindset and ethos, and with lots of guildies with Real Life stuff on, there's very much a catherdy aspect to it)

On our later pulls and our kill we ended up lusting on the heart in phase 1 so we only had a few percent to deal with in heart phase 2. We found we didn't need lust for the second set of dominators with our DPS and the correct strategy. It's all very predictable, just needs to be controlled.

Just need to be prepared to shift to corruptors and have interrupts on deathglares, as in phase 1. Once you get to the second heart cleanly, it shouldn't take more than 3-5 pulls. Just sucks cause it's a ten minute long fight before finding out if you'll fail.

Oh and tip: by cleanly getting into the second phase, I mean that if you have extra blobs or adds up when the eye dies again, you can't just blow them up as you can the first time. Bringing blobs inside will kill you, and extra adds up at that time will spawn more blobs, unlike the first phase. So you REALLY need to time it so everything is dead perfectly going into the second heart. There's a small DPS/control check to make the timer before new adds spawn here, so beware of that. You should phase off the blobs from the second horror.

v1perz53

That's not where the default chat window is, unless the defaults have changed. Mine's in the bottom-left.

I meant the talking head chat box "here's some NPC lore chatter cause you entered a WQ zone or got to this spot in a dungeon" window, the new one for legion. Dead center bottom, huge waste of space for something that is just a repeat of a message you've seen 200 times already nearly every time.

Sölf

Looking at the Call of the Scarab Micro-Holiday, it actually looks much bigger than I would have thought. Them including all those summonable bosses and stuff is really cool.

mclem

Sölf;226260683 said:
Looking at the Call of the Scarab Micro-Holiday, it actually looks much bigger than I would have thought. Them including all those summonable bosses and stuff is really cool.

Wait, it's not the business with texts and cultist gear is it?

Im really disappointed in the treatment rogues are getting, that being said im going to use my booster token on a ranged dps as they seem to be en vogue.

I am leaning towards fire mage or MM Hunter, which in your opinion is noob friendly(I started playing this game 5~6 weeks ago)

I want to use it to raid

Tacitus_

I vaguely remember collecting texts and cultist gear. Did you use it to summon a boss or something? They were consumable IIRC.

Im really disappointed in the treatment rogues are getting, that being said im going to use my booster token on a ranged dps as they seem to be en vogue.

I am leaning towards fire mage or MM Hunter, which in your opinion is noob friendly(I started playing this game 5~6 weeks ago)

I want to use it to raid

Hunter is *the* noob class. From what I hear BM is a braindead spec, but it still puts out respectable numbers. But it's not like fire mage is hard either.

Strimei

I vaguely remember collecting texts and cultist gear. Did you use it to summon a boss or something? They were consumable IIRC.

Something to that effect, yes.

Memory serves it went something like you collect a bunch, summon a boss, do it several times to summon a larger boss, which you do several times to summon a larger one.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
My Hunter used to be the alt that I played the most back in MoP, makes me sad what they did with the spec, they way they play now has nothing of what I used to like so much.

v1perz53

Hunter is *the* noob class. From what I hear BM is a braindead spec, but it still puts out respectable numbers. But it's not like fire mage is hard either.

Fire Mage is like playing a Mozart symphony compared to BM in complexity (and I agree that Fire Mage is not that complicated). Not to mention BM does 100% damage while moving so it is very "noob friendly" for dealing with encounter mechanics. I would recommend BM to a lot of people who are new or looking for lower stress raiding, though you have to be prepared that MM hunters will out DPS you and that some groups will wonder why you aren't MM (7.1.5 changes notwithstanding).

Nokterian

Man why did i choose demonology over destruction for leveling my warlock? Demonology is so freaking boring also takes ages to kill enemies. Now i have to sit it out until level 102.

TheYanger

On our later pulls and our kill we ended up lusting on the heart in phase 1 so we only had a few percent to deal with in heart phase 2. We found we didn't need lust for the second set of dominators with our DPS and the correct strategy. It's all very predictable, just needs to be controlled.

Just need to be prepared to shift to corruptors and have interrupts on deathglares, as in phase 1. Once you get to the second heart cleanly, it shouldn't take more than 3-5 pulls. Just sucks cause it's a ten minute long fight before finding out if you'll fail.

Oh and tip: by cleanly getting into the second phase, I mean that if you have extra blobs or adds up when the eye dies again, you can't just blow them up as you can the first time. Bringing blobs inside will kill you, and extra adds up at that time will spawn more blobs, unlike the first phase. So you REALLY need to time it so everything is dead perfectly going into the second heart. There's a small DPS/control check to make the timer before new adds spawn here, so beware of that. You should phase off the blobs from the second horror.

We've always let them explode into the heart going into both phases?
You just have to be ready to interrupt and kill eyestalks inside (with your strat probably just interrupt and ignore, but the way we used to do it we'd have to muyrder the first set instantly).

You know what I'm fucking sick of

Searching for like, tailoring materials, and people listing like 500 listings of 1 item instead of making fucking stacks.

And blizzard needs to fix that shit. I don't want to sift through 10 pages because a douchebag decided to list every goddamn silk piece by itself. Like holy shit.

Nere

Correct me if wrong but weren't frost deathknights able to freeze the ground beneath them when standing still? Where did that feature go?

Correct me if wrong but weren't frost deathknights able to freeze the ground beneath them when standing still? Where did that feature go?

It's still there

It takes a few minutes

And it doesn't look as cool as it did during beta(it was supposed to look like the frost path Sindragosa left behind, now it looks like...shittier.)

Nere

It's still there

It takes a few minutes

And it doesn't look as cool as it did during beta(it was supposed to look like the frost path Sindragosa left behind, now it looks like...shittier.)

OMG I have been playing frost dk for so long and now I noticed it, I had to zoom in and look super carefully to see it, what a pathetic effect where did the old beta one went? major fail.

OMG I have been playing frost dk for so long and now I noticed it, I had to zoom in and look super carefully to see it, what a pathetic effect where did the old beta one went? major fail.

I was disappointed too :/ wonder why they did remove the beta one? Maybe if too many frost dks were in a busy area, the game would crash or something?

TheYanger

You have to have completed the class campaign or something. Or maybe it's based on AK. I forget. I think ti's the campaign though. Then it'll take a couple minutes.

Thousand Needles made farming the Darkwater Skate wholly worth it. It may not be as useful as those water striders people can farm up in MoP and WoD but it's got to be pretty damned close.

Searching for like, tailoring materials, and people listing like 500 listings of 1 item instead of making fucking stacks.

And blizzard needs to fix that shit. I don't want to sift through 10 pages because a douchebag decided to list every goddamn silk piece by itself. Like holy shit.

You can click on the quantity column to shift it so the larger stacks appear first.

So is Ebonchill the first artifact I should get as a Mage? The 5% rep bonus sound pretty appealing, especially since I'll be playing catch-up with Legion Loremaster and my mage isn't a human.

To get it to happen at all. It's MUCH different looking than it was in beta either way. Very muted and small, but you can hear it break when you move.

In beta it looked downright goofy.

in beta it looked great

and you don't have to do anything to get it, my frost dk did it as soon as I got the artifact~

Strimei

So is Ebonchill the first artifact I should get as a Mage? The 5% rep bonus sound pretty appealing, especially since I'll be playing catch-up with Legion Loremaster and my mage isn't a human.

I don't think its that worthwhile, to be honest, but up to you. Go with whichever spec you enjoy.

Or go Arcane and have a staff that talks to you in the voice of McCree himself!

I don't think its that worthwhile, to be honest, but up to you. Go with whichever spec you enjoy.

Or go Arcane and have a staff that talks to you in the voice of McCree himself!

Before my answer would've been Fire but in this dumb Loremaster grind of Vanilla zones I've finally gotten around to trying Arcane and Frost and see the merits of each spec. I do like Arcane, it's been the best spec for blasting through this old content with Arcane Explosion, Barrage and Missiles. Almost no CD's and I rarely have to stop to channel.

Strimei

Before my answer would've been Fire but in this dumb Loremaster grind of Vanilla zones I've finally gotten around to trying Arcane and Frost and see the merits of each spec. I do like Arcane, it's been the best spec for blasting through this old content with Arcane Explosion, Barrage and Missiles. Almost no CD's and I rarely have to stop to channel.

I've had an Arcane mage as my main spec since 3.3, so I'm a bit biased in its favor, heh. I do think its in a pretty good place overall and getting some nice buffs in 7.1.5. We're still a bit of a turret though but the talent to let you cast arcane missiles while moving should help matters a great deal.

Somewhere along the way we've become a kind of explode-everything spec, too, particularly with our artifact. We explode when we finish evocating, we make enemies explode with our arcane blast, we make three or more of them explode if hit by arcane barrage, we explode them in the air with supernova, we explode them with Aluneth's signature ability...

Anyways I just love the spec so I'll sing its praises. Fire and Frost are neat on their own but there's something I just love about Arcane. Plus like I said, sentient staff and all that.

v1perz53

in beta it looked great

and you don't have to do anything to get it, my frost dk did it as soon as I got the artifact~

I would argue it looked gaudy and awful myself, way too perfectly circular and bright, but everyone has their own tastes. But much like the Monk order hall and Chi Orbit, on beta in the order hall with a lot of AFK frost mages your eyes were liable to start bleeding from the bright circles everywhere, so for that reason alone I'm glad they changed it (also making you only see your own would've been an adequate solution to me)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Doesn't auctionator make it easy to buy in bulk?

v1perz53

Doesn't auctionator make it easy to buy in bulk?

Every time someone complains about the auction house these days I get confused for a bit then I remember I haven't even seen the default auction house interface since WotLK, since I've been using Auctionator since then. Sad that it is necessary, but it really does solve pretty much every gripe with the auction house people have. Though I've noticed since Legion that scanning an item with like 10+ pages takes way longer than it used to, but still 15437438x better than default. Never have to worry that I'm not getting the exact best possible deal either. Also never have to price my own items I sell, so I never have to worry about accidentally selling an item for too low...

Anyway, got the group together and quite easily 1 chested the 11 Nelth's lair, we were probably over-cautious, though letting the Breakers get an Avalanche off when Raging/Fortified certainly could one shot our DPS, but still very easy to stun them at just over 30% and burn them. Scorpions were definitely hard, but doable with all CDs/lust. Crazy that a single trash mob on Fort/Rage requires 600k HPS from our healer even with CCing the other mob in the scorpion pull. And for our efforts the 12 we got was...

Arcway... On Raging/Fortified/Necrotic. I refuse to exploit the Blobs at the start so it was a bit of an adventurous start, but it could've been worse. We didn't really care how long it took us since we aren't pushing Necrotic week past 12, so we just took our time. Hardest pulls were actually the big Seer mobs. Can't be stunned/interrupted in any way, so if they chose to cast the group damage ability under 30% it would instant kill any non-tank, so basically just a dice roll every time. Got it done though which is nice, to have our +12 done by Thursday on Necrotic week. God I hate Arcway though, took us ~1 hour to clear (which is only 15 min over the timer) and we got nothing more than we would've gotten from a 20 minute Maw clear.

Son1x

Managed to get my first hidden artifact skin. Unfortunately its for feral, the only spec I literally don't play at all. I don't remember the last time I specced into it before today to get the skin.

edit: Fucking hell, can't I get a single day without infinite loading times?

Top Bottom