• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

He was changed in 7.0 to take tons of extra damage from adds. Even using the video methods I see online now doesn't seem to work. He always seems to pick up aggro, and all techniques advised to drop aggro don't work for me. Sigh. Group Finder works though, thankfully. Always people who want to go and make it even faster.

I've done it many times after 7.0. Just right click the orb every time the debuff fades from you while you're still controlling Razorgore. You'll get a load of aggro every time, I haven't had any trouble when I started using that.

Trying to complete the Trial by Fel Fire quest is absurd. It will cost me nearly 20K to buy the crafted gear off of the AH. I've got a lvl 100 priest that's a tailor, a level 100 Monk that's a scribe, I could ditch inscirption for Leather Working and a level 102 Paladin with Jewel Crafting I could ditch for Black Smithing but I don't have the time, or paitience, to level all of those toons up just so I can funnel some crafted gear to my mage to complete one quest. This 815 crafted gear would be selling for next to nothing if order halls were similar to garrisons.

What's gated behind this quest? Is it worthwhile?

Trying to complete the Trial by Fel Fire quest is absurd. It will cost me nearly 20K to buy the crafted gear off of the AH. I've got a lvl 100 priest that's a tailor, a level 100 Monk that's a scribe, I could ditch inscirption for Leather Working and a level 102 Paladin with Jewel Crafting I could ditch for Black Smithing but I don't have the time, or paitience, to level all of those toons up just so I can funnel some crafted gear to my mage to complete one quest. This 815 crafted gear would be selling for next to nothing if order halls were similar to garrisons.

What's gated behind this quest? Is it worthwhile?

Obliterum. Worthwhile depends on what you do with it.

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/acquiring-and-spending-blood-of-sargeras-and-obliterum

I don't play with alts much but I gave a lil spin on my lvl 100 Arcane Mage today and holy shit it feels clunky to play compared to Windwalker/Brewmaster. Definately need to get used to that.

First impression there is nothing fun about the spec/class (I haven't tried frost or fire). None of the abilities are satisfying or fun to use unlike Fists of Fury/Dragon Punch ect.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't play with alts much but I gave a lil spin on my lvl 100 Arcane Mage today and holy shit it feels clunky to play compared to Windwalker/Brewmaster. Definately need to get used to that.

First impression there is nothing fun about the spec/class (I haven't tried frost or fire). None of the abilities are satisfying or fun to use unlike Fists of Fury/Dragon Punch ect.

I think Monk overall is the best class right now in terms of fun so you might not ever f ind anything to compare. All 3 specs are really well thought out in terms of rotation and mechanics and everything feels satisfying.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Man, I wish Razorgore was more easily soloable. Fack.

what i do is stand right below the orb on the ground level, click the orb, destroy 3 of the eggs that are nearest to my character, then run razorgores face into the wall up on the platform and wait for the Mind Control to expire. be sure to be ready to click the orb as soon as it expires, and dont do anything funny with the camera, just watch his ass the whole time.

i stay there for 3 casts, then after the adds stop spawning, resume to destroying the eggs as quickly as possible

i think the key to the strat is being on the ground level and clicking the orb from there, less likelihood of aggroing onto razorgore. last time i did it a few adds aggroed and i just killed them with the slash and melee attacks (dont do the volley)

enjoy.

Magnus

Did we know Havi's identity before 7.1?

I'm doing Stormheim quests again on an alt leveling up, and Havi
turned into Odyn at the end of the chain, before granting the quest to go to Halls of Valor for the first time. I thought the first time we saw him turn into Odyn was doing the quests in 7.1 that lead to the Trial of Valor raid?

v1perz53

what i do is stand right below the orb on the ground level, click the orb, destroy 3 of the eggs that are nearest to my character, then run razorgores face into the wall up on the platform and wait for the Mind Control to expire. be sure to be ready to click the orb as soon as it expires, and dont do anything funny with the camera, just watch his ass the whole time.

i stay there for 3 casts, then after the adds stop spawning, resume to destroying the eggs as quickly as possible

i think the key to the strat is being on the ground level and clicking the orb from there, less likelihood of aggroing onto razorgore. last time i did it a few adds aggroed and i just killed them with the slash and melee attacks (dont do the volley)

enjoy.

Man that sounds like a lot of waiting! I've done BWL maybe 30 times since 7.0 hit, on 8-9 different classes, and all I do is go to the top, kill the 3 dudes and MC Razegore by clicking from the top, kill as many eggs as I can, dismiss-reclick when the channel is almost over, destroy as many eggs as possible, dismiss-reclick and kill the last 2-3 eggs. Always takes just over 2 full channels to get the eggs, and he always ends between 30 and 70% HP depending on the class I'm playing (a healer with an instant cast heal can break the channel by casting the heal on him and he will gain HP from it). Never had a try where I at all needed a strategy or he was at risk of dying, wonder why it is different for some people.

In Siege of Orgrimmar, is there any way to skip Immerseus and kill the rest of the bosses?

Depends if you're doing Mythic or not. On Norm/Heroic(/Flex? whatever it was called back then), you can extend a lockout with Immersius dead on an alt, and since it is a boss lockout you can use group finder to zone in with your main and clear it that way. But unfortunately Mythic is a typical lockout so you have to clear him every time. I've never wiped to him, but man is it a boring fight. Though honestly the whole of SoO is a very tedious zone to solo.

erawsd

Did we know Havi's identity before 7.1?

I'm doing Stormheim quests again on an alt leveling up, and Havi
turned into Odyn at the end of the chain, before granting the quest to go to Halls of Valor for the first time. I thought the first time we saw him turn into Odyn was doing the quests in 7.1 that lead to the Trial of Valor raid?

Yeah, we did. Its always been revealed at the end of that stormheim quest chain.

Tarazet

Sometimes you get the nicest surprises.. at item level 877 equipped, I did a normal EN. Got a perfect 860 belt upgrade with Avoidance off of Nythendra, then the Heroic cache from the order hall dropped Bloodthirsty Instinct, netting me a BIS trinket. Here I was thinking it was just going to be 7 chances at a legendary.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Woot, I just got both of the Christmas illusions. The Ragnaros one is much rarer but the frost one looks so cool!

davepoobond

Man that sounds like a lot of waiting! I've done BWL maybe 30 times since 7.0 hit, on 8-9 different classes, and all I do is go to the top, kill the 3 dudes and MC Razegore by clicking from the top, kill as many eggs as I can, dismiss-reclick when the channel is almost over, destroy as many eggs as possible, dismiss-reclick and kill the last 2-3 eggs. Always takes just over 2 full channels to get the eggs, and he always ends between 30 and 70% HP depending on the class I'm playing (a healer with an instant cast heal can break the channel by casting the heal on him and he will gain HP from it). Never had a try where I at all needed a strategy or he was at risk of dying, wonder why it is different for some people.

how do you prevent the adds from killing him? ive basically done what you said before and kept dying.

i am a hunter, so i cant heal anything...

the waiting isnt so bad, its only like a 5 minute fight overall and the rest of the dungeon is a breeze other than the smokey room

Depends if you're doing Mythic or not. On Norm/Heroic(/Flex? whatever it was called back then), you can extend a lockout with Immersius dead on an alt, and since it is a boss lockout you can use group finder to zone in with your main and clear it that way. But unfortunately Mythic is a typical lockout so you have to clear him every time. I've never wiped to him, but man is it a boring fight. Though honestly the whole of SoO is a very tedious zone to solo.

Was hoping to clear it on mythic for the achievements but that's not happening. Guess I'll try what you said about normal.

As an Engineer, I see nothing worthwhile in the late-game crafting that's worth spending 20K for, but that has more to do with Legion Engineering than the late-game crafting. I think I'm just going to bail on Mining and Engineering on my Mage and go with Enchanting and Tailoring, shift the mining mats to my 102 Paladin, level it up and make it a Blacksmith. That would save me 12K-13K.

Legion Engineering just is nowhere near as useful as it was in WoD.

I just leveled a Mage from 1 to 110 and was all-in on Fire before I tried out Frost and Arcane somewhere around level 80 to see the merits of each spec. Initially I thought Arcane was super clunky too but I started to lean heavily on the spec because Arcane Explosion made leveling so much faster. You can just blow through most trash in legacy content and you don't even have to stop to channel. From there it sort of just became my main spec.

Arcane is very mobile, with Shimmer (2x tp talent), Displacement (warp back to your last teleport spot) and Slow you can be an annoying target to lock down or get close to, and once you have 4 Arcane charges, you hit things pretty hard. With explosions!

I find two talents to be kind of necessary for Arcane for your basic rotation, specifically Supernova (a lvl 60 AoE nuke/interrupt) and Arcane Orb (a lvl 100 talent that generates one Arcane Charge on cast and grants an Arcane Charge for every target hit). You basically want to ramp up to 4 Arcane Charges as quickly as possible and from there you can basically blow things up for as long as you can maintain your mana. To me that's the fun game of Arcane, trying to manage your mana (125% mana cost increase per charge) and maintain your damage (77% damage increase per charge) for as long as possible.

Arcane Power lets you hit things harder while lowering the hefty mana costs of 4 Charge abilities. Rune of Power doubles your damage output as well. And Ice Flows is pretty handy so you don't always have to be a fixed turret, or break a channel to move and avoid whatever.

Fire is super fun but when Combustion and Flame On are on CD you're kind of just left to having random procs to get the big free damage payoffs of free/instant Pyroblasts and Flamestrikes. With Arcane you kind of have more direct control over your high damage output, it just has a bit of a ramp up and a heavy cost. Frost is fun as well, it just has so many AoE's and slows. You don't kill things as quickly as you can with Fire and Arcane but you feel like you have more control over fights with all of the slows, AoE's and roots.

Mage is super fun and I'm glad I rolled one for Legion.

As an Engineer, I see nothing worthwhile in the late-game crafting that's worth spending 20K for, but that has more to do with Legion Engineering than the late-game crafting. I think I'm just going to bail on Mining and Engineering on my Mage and go with Enchanting and Tailoring, shift the mining mats to my 102 Paladin, level it up and make it a Blacksmith. That would save me 12K-13K.

Legion Engineering just is nowhere near as useful as it was in WoD.

honestly I just got the obliterum to make money

and it's a money maker if you're an enchanter/tailorer

making a rank 3 binding of intellect, you can get the majority of mats yourself(Chaos Crystals by doing WQs with purples, Arkhana through Ley Shatter, Ley stones through creating rank 3 wrists which yield the most amount of ley crystals per silk used).

Right now I just need to find a mass chaos crystal seller and I can easily make off 50-75k from a stack of 100 chaos crystals(Sold at 20k) from obliterating the binding of intellects(Yields 120-190ish ash) depending on what price the obliterum is at.

If I started at the beginning of Legion, I would've made alot more but...this far into the expansion, it's a very good gold maker. Other than the Chaos Crystals or Bloods(Which I use a combo of bloodhunter/WQs/disenchanting to get), I control both the reagent gathering and the supply of enchanted items to obliterate. It feels great.

v1perz53

Was hoping to clear it on mythic for the achievements but that's not happening. Guess I'll try what you said about normal.

Even past Immersius, Iron Juggernaut is the real cockblock of mythic SoO, I had to buy every consumable and try really hard to down him on an 882 ilvl Guardian druid, he was hitting me for ~1 million damage every 5 seconds after 1:30 into the fight.

how do you prevent the adds from killing him? ive basically done what you said before and kept dying.

the waiting isnt so bad, its only like a 5 minute fight overall and the rest of the dungeon is a breeze other than the smokey room

Honestly I'm not sure what is different when we do it. I've done it many times on my hunter, and I just did it again now to check and I finished the last egg with him at 53% HP, right at the end of the 2nd channel. I just went to each egg and used the ability to kill them, didn't hit a single other ability the whole time, didn't use anything on my hunter but clicking the orbs. Nearly every mob would walk up to Razegore, hit him once, then run over to my hunter. Do you use Razegore's other stuff like the fireball or the sleep? I don't use any of that, but it shouldn't matter, I had over half HP left when I finished.

Barely matters tho since like you said doing it your way doesn't add too much extra time.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

FYI for Razorgore, as long as the mind control 'unable to click' debuff is gone, as soon as he starts getting attacked you can just look over to where your character is standing, and re-clicking the orb drops his aggro table for a while.

Meanwhile, your 100-110 character takes like zero damage.

edit: Missed that Numberthree already mentioned it, lol

FYI for Razorgore, as long as the mind control 'unable to click' debuff is gone, as soon as he starts getting attacked you can just look over to where your character is standing, and re-clicking the orb drops his aggro table for a while.

Meanwhile, your 100-110 character takes like zero damage.

oh yeah that's the trick

Yeah, at level 100-110 you take zero to no damage and doing that trick lets you pass the first boss.

truly the hardest boss to solo from vanilla

Even past Immersius, Iron Juggernaut is the real cockblock of mythic SoO, I had to buy every consumable and try really hard to down him on an 882 ilvl Guardian druid, he was hitting me for ~1 million damage every 5 seconds after 1:30 into the fight.

Oh, wow. Guardian is what I'd be using as well and my ilvl isn't as high as yours, so I'd have no chance, lol. Hopefully they adjust that raid for soloing in the near future.

v1perz53

Oh, wow. Guardian is what I'd be using as well and my ilvl isn't as high as yours, so I'd have no chance, lol. Hopefully they adjust that raid for soloing in the near future.

Its one of those fights where mechanics make it much harder to solo than other fights in the instance. Without tank-swapping like intended, you get debuffs that stack more and more to crazy levels. At 2 minutes in, he swaps phases and the crazy stacks drop, so you either have to kill him in ~1:30 (takes something like 450k DPS sustained?) or survive massive damage for around 30 seconds to get him to change phases. Similar to how Durumu was quite hard to solo last expansion I guess, had to either kill him super fast or somehow survive the healing debuff.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Welp, my guild is downing H ToV after those nerfs tonight.

Good luck!

My guild is in the same boat. We unfortunately haven't been able to put too many attempts in on Helya because of people's holiday schedules and such. Tonight is our only raid night this reset, so we're going to get vantus runes for her as well.

Mupod

We're on holiday raid mode so I doubt any progression is happening this or next week. Just gonna do farm stuff.

But yeah this would definitely make H Odyn about the difficulty level he should be. The trick for us was getting to the point where we could DPS down Hyrja and Hymdall before they got their abilities off in phase 2. Which allowed us to make it to phase 3 without wasting battle rezzes, because we needed all of them for the tanks. This round of nerfs should make everything much more doable.

H Guarm was always much easier than Odyn so whatever on that. We never even tried H Helya or any Mythic ToV.

My guild downed Mythic Dragons yesterday and after the new nerfs to HC Helya I'm wondering if that should be the next focus on progression rather than Ilgynoth.

It's kinda shame they nerf Odyn spear so much, rare are the mechanics where Brewmasters truly shine and this is one of them :d.

Mupod

I need to fill in for one of our raid tanks soon so as a Blood DK I'm glad to see the spear nerf. It was basically a 'fuck death knights in particular' mechanic.

Corpekata

Banned
Got my 2nd legendary within like 3 days of my 1st. Granted, it was the Balance boots, which is probably one of the worst ones. 1st was the fel essence ring which is pretty good. Got the ring from a random treasure chest in stormheim and the boots from mythic weekly chest.

I've not been playing Legion very long so can't even use for the stats yet as I'm quite a ways away from being able to even start the 2nd legendary research.

I need to fill in for one of our raid tanks soon so as a Blood DK I'm glad to see the spear nerf. It was basically a 'fuck death knights in particular' mechanic.

Our Paladin tank had a ton of problems with it too. Brewmasters (in addition to being beasts in mobility) can even soak the spears from melee range (in HC at least) if the other tank dies thanks to the looooong low damage fight prior to it allowing ridicilous stacking on ironskin brews and having 6 purifying brews ready for use.

Just feels good to be wanted for something for once!

Lain

Got my 2nd legendary within like 3 days of my 1st. Granted, it was the Balance boots, which is probably one of the worst ones. 1st was the fel essence ring which is pretty good. Got the ring from a random treasure chest in stormheim and the boots from mythic weekly chest.

I've not been playing Legion very long so can't even use for the stats yet as I'm quite a ways away from being able to even start the 2nd legendary research.

I've been wondering if there will be catch ups for that part of the time gating for alts.

Tacitus_

Man, some people. They put 840 as the minimum ilvl, are missing a tank and I sign up with 845. Decline. The same happens with two more groups. So while none of them get a tank, I make my own group and fill it up within 2 minutes.

Metroidvania

I've been wondering if there will be catch ups for that part of the time gating for alts.

Unless Blizz is also fiddling with the Legendary % drop chance as another 'catchup' mechanism, I don't necessarily see why there'd be any reason for them to change either that or the 3rd trait grind. AK knowledge is a long grind, but the other two are built into the class hall questline, and as such, I see them being a little more hesitant to change.

Theoretically, the 2nd legendary isn't gonna come any faster for people otherwise - some may get lucky like others did at launch, but others (most?) probably aren't gonna get two before two weeks.

Unless Blizz is also fiddling with the Legendary % drop chance as another 'catchup' mechanism, I don't necessarily see why there'd be any reason for them to change either that or the 3rd trait grind. AK knowledge is a long grind, but the other two are built into the class hall questline, and as such, I see them being a little more hesitant to change.

Theoretically, the 2nd legendary isn't gonna come any faster for people otherwise - some may get lucky like others did at launch, but others (most?) probably aren't gonna get two before two weeks.

It takes over a month to get the 2nd legendary research though. That one specifically and the one before it are 14 and 12 days IIRC. And they're prohibitively expensive for the most part to get going.

In other news, Shock Baton is up on US today! Got an 850 one on mah mage.

davepoobond

Honestly I'm not sure what is different when we do it. I've done it many times on my hunter, and I just did it again now to check and I finished the last egg with him at 53% HP, right at the end of the 2nd channel. I just went to each egg and used the ability to kill them, didn't hit a single other ability the whole time, didn't use anything on my hunter but clicking the orbs. Nearly every mob would walk up to Razegore, hit him once, then run over to my hunter. Do you use Razegore's other stuff like the fireball or the sleep? I don't use any of that, but it shouldn't matter, I had over half HP left when I finished.

Barely matters tho since like you said doing it your way doesn't add too much extra time.

They stay on him the whole time. There is never a target switch on their part. I just kill the eggs only I don't bother dpsing the adds since he will die.

Like you said it doesn't matter. But it makes no sense why you have such less difficult time with it.

Its one of those fights where mechanics make it much harder to solo than other fights in the instance. Without tank-swapping like intended, you get debuffs that stack more and more to crazy levels. At 2 minutes in, he swaps phases and the crazy stacks drop, so you either have to kill him in ~1:30 (takes something like 450k DPS sustained?) or survive massive damage for around 30 seconds to get him to change phases. Similar to how Durumu was quite hard to solo last expansion I guess, had to either kill him super fast or somehow survive the healing debuff.

Speaking of Durumu, is there any way to do the intended damage? I solo'd him fine but it took awhile because he had a buff that didn't allow me to do my normal damage.

And unrelated, but pets and mounts from the in-game shop are on sale right now.

Robin64

This fortnight's archaeology reward isn't too shabby.

mWAaI33.png

Metroidvania

It takes over a month to get the 2nd legendary research though. That one specifically and the one before it are 14 and 12 days IIRC. And they're prohibitively expensive for the most part to get going.

IMO, the order resources are the bigger constraint for alts - but that depends on how much effort you wanna put into grinding out world quests on multiple characters.

I don't disagree that they two last traits probably would take 'too long' for alts/new players intending on raiding, but at the same time, it's a part of Blizz's whole design stance this expansion - lock you in to needing to play more, so you don't stop playing because you have nothing to do.

There's burnout from either extreme, sure, but they're going more out of their way to avoid another WoD scenario then the reverse.

Man, some people. They put 840 as the minimum ilvl, are missing a tank and I sign up with 845. Decline. The same happens with two more groups. So while none of them get a tank, I make my own group and fill it up within 2 minutes.

They probably either got a higher geared tank or waited 2 minutes to find one. You get the same message either way.

This fortnight's archaeology reward isn't too shabby.

mWAaI33.png

So a normal 850 neck has 1,825 in secondary stats. This has 1,380 with 450 from sockets (or +50 if you decided to use your primary stat gem in this for some reason) for 1830 total.

Just point this out because I keep seeing people thinking this is like a normal 850 neck in stat budget + three slots, when the three slots are being factored into their stat budget. So an OK item if neck has been a problem spot or something and you don't mind spending for the best gems. Mid-tier gems fall behind, obviously.

These items really need to be BoA though. The relics being so was nice, but some of them are just worthless.

kirblar

The Balance Boots are better than you think. Being able to self-Ancestral on call is big on any fight w/ significant surviability issues.

Top Bottom