• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Mupod

Guild got all farm content and heroic Helya down last night. Fight now doesn't feel all that different from how Normal was in the first week of ToV so there wasn't much learning for us to do.

I messed around with Simcraft a lot yesterday and came out a bit more confident in my ability to eyeball item effectiveness, but not with any real equipment changes. I'm not required to put out massive numbers but competition with the other DPS is about as much fun as you can have in heroic EN these days.

I've got a question about world quests. I know that if you unlocked them on one character they are then available on any future characters once they hit level 110. But will they still require having done story quests? Like, some world quests are only available once a main or side quest have been completed.

Tarazet

So Blizzard is saying they don't want BiS legendary items, then they introduce a new Shaman hat that increases the duration of Bloodlust/Heroism effects by 75%.

Shit.

I guess I'll be leveling up that goblin after all.

Mupod

I wish they'd address the legendary soft cap but every thread that asks about it is just full of 'wtf you have 4 legendaries how dare you complain'

I hope we don't need to wait months before everybody catches up and more than a handful of people can pressure them about it. Making them harder and harder to get as time goes on just feels AWFUL, especially if you run multiple specs like I do.

Moff

I wish they'd address the legendary soft cap but every thread that asks about it is just full of 'wtf you have 4 legendaries how dare you complain'

I hope we don't need to wait months before everybody catches up and more than a handful of people can pressure them about it. Making them harder and harder to get as time goes on just feels AWFUL, especially if you run multiple specs like I do.

didn't they adress it a few weeks ago? I thought it was posted here in this thread and they said they would remove it

Mupod

didn't they adress it a few weeks ago? I thought it was posted here in this thread and they said they would remove it

Blizzard says a lot of things. Maybe the fix didn't work, or more likely they only partially backed off their stance of limiting them to people who play a lot. Data is suggesting it takes longer, as in amount of content done to build up the 'bad luck protection', to find the 5th than it does to get 1-4.

RNG is RNG but we've been through this song and dance with them several times before and they've been caught fudging the numbers more than once.

Milennia

Blizzard says a lot of things. Maybe the fix didn't work, or more likely they only partially backed off their stance of limiting them to people who play a lot. Data is suggesting it takes longer, as in amount of content done to build up the 'bad luck protection', to find the 5th than it does to get 1-4.

RNG is RNG but we've been through this song and dance with them several times before and they've been caught fudging the numbers more than once.

if it makes you feel any better everyone i know who has a 5th got their 6th within 3 days, 4 of them getting the 7th within 2 weeks.

Lomax

I've got a question about world quests. I know that if you unlocked them on one character they are then available on any future characters once they hit level 110. But will they still require having done story quests? Like, some world quests are only available once a main or side quest have been completed.

A lot of the Suramar world quests are locked behind the story chain, yes. I don't think that's true in any other zone though, at least not that I've noticed.

Magnus

Is there a utility that lets me plug in my character from the armory and see what its max theoretical DPS would be on a Patchwerk-style fight? (making optimal use of cooldowns and such)

I'd like to see how far off I am from what I can do on a target dummy.

edit- ugh, that Simbot above says I should be doing 310k on a Patchwerk. I can't get close to that. I'm around 240k. Shadow priest single target. I can never seem to do very well. I must be fucking up my VF rotation.

Mupod

Is there a utility that lets me plug in my character from the armory and see what its max theoretical DPS would be on a Patchwerk-style fight? (making optimal use of cooldowns and such)

I'd like to see how far off I am from what I can do on a target dummy.

edit- ugh, that Simbot above says I should be doing 310k on a Patchwerk. I can't get close to that. I'm around 240k. Shadow priest single target. I can never seem to do very well. I must be fucking up my VF rotation.

if Tubie pokes his head in here again you should ask him how to shadowpriest, lol.

I mean goddamn

anyways I wouldn't go off theoretical numbers, rather keep track of your actual DPS on an example raid boss then compare to logs of those with similar gear. I'm too lazy to actually log things and rely on guildmates to do all that for me, but it's had me go back to the drawing board with gear and spec more than once.

I hate the Draenor christmas dailies.

Either get 300 oil (completely useless) or maybe get a mount worth 120,000 gold! Also Grumpus dies in half a second when he spawns cuz he's still level 100!

erawsd

So Blizzard is saying they don't want BiS legendary items, then they introduce a new Shaman hat that increases the duration of Bloodlust/Heroism effects by 75%.

Shit.

I guess I'll be leveling up that goblin after all.

Well, they said they didn't want legendaries that were bis for every situation. The goal is for there to be "general purpose" legendaries that are moderately strong all the time and then others that are very strong when they are useful... this one falls in the latter. It shines on short fights where you'll be able to stick to the boss for the full duration, otherwise its benefits drops off very quickly. Even in mythic+ where it can be super powerful on bosses, you'll only see that benefit on the 2 you lust on. For the others and the trash its not going to do anything for you.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I'm on my 3rd so I have one more chance to get the one I have, and if I don't, I can say goodbye to having my two BiS legendaries.

Yeah...the thing that sucks is a new BiS or second BiS legendary in the form of metamorphosis shoulders is coming out in 7.1.5, so if I don't get Anger of the Half Giants next as my 4th, I'm kinda gonna be fucked for awhile.

On the plus side, my AoE legendaries weren't bad for pushing +15.

Skittish is so annoying because DPS doesn't realize it's an affix for them, not the tank. In pugs trying to tell them to give me a little time to get aggro is like talking to a wall. It's not a huge problem in places where there is room to use the Ox Statue for AOE taunts but somewhere like CoS good luck doing that without pulling the entire instance.

At least next week is smooth sailing with Overflow and Sanguine.

That's what I figured. Was hoping to get that Shock Baton trinket on alts a lot faster.

I think for that one, you simply need to go to the Crimson Thicket and do the little questline there(Help the night elf find her druid buddy, then find the druid buddy within the menagerie and help him there). I think that particular questline is a bit divorced from the suramar questlines.

I think for that one, you simply need to go to the Crimson Thicket and do the little questline there(Help the night elf find her druid buddy, then find the druid buddy within the menagerie and help him there). I think that particular questline is a bit divorced from the suramar questlines.

Nope, you still gotta be far enough in the main Suramar questline to be at the part where you retrieve the lady's belongings from her house. http://www.wowhead.com/quest=43583/life-finds-a-way#comments

Noob alchemist question - the Infernal Alchemist Stone doesn't improve any of my chances of getting multiples or skill rank ups or anything like that right?

peter0611

What do you all use to help with your dps rotations? I'm using a combination of weakauras made by myself, an imported one, and an add on lol. Not very clean, I know!

Random pet peeve: so many people don't use their damn interrupts. I almost think they haven't even moved out of their spellbook onto an actionbar. :/

What do you all use to help with your dps rotations? I'm using a combination of weakauras made by myself, an imported one, and an add on lol. Not very clean, I know!

Random pet peeve: so many people don't use their damn interrupts. I almost think they haven't even moved out of their spellbook onto an actionbar. :/

For my WW I use nothing.

For Brewmaster I have Weak Aura icons to make me see Ironskin Brew and Brewstache buffs more easily to know the rythm when the use brews.

Tarazet

Well, they said they didn't want legendaries that were bis for every situation. The goal is for there to be "general purpose" legendaries that are moderately strong all the time and then others that are very strong when they are useful... this one falls in the latter. It shines on short fights where you'll be able to stick to the boss for the full duration, otherwise its benefits drops off very quickly. Even in mythic+ where it can be super powerful on bosses, you'll only see that benefit on the 2 you lust on. For the others and the trash its not going to do anything for you.

Having lust for an extra 30 seconds is broken as all getout. That means you get two Doom Winds under Bloodlust. And this is without even getting into the nonsense with the new Spiritual Journey. (Feral Spirit cools down 500% faster in GW form)

erawsd

Having lust for an extra 30 seconds is broken as all getout. That means you get two Doom Winds under Bloodlust. And this is without even getting into the nonsense with the new Spiritual Journey. (Feral Spirit cools down 500% faster in GW form)

Its really not. In fact, its basically a weaker/more limited version of the mage legendary thats already in the game. However, if you think its worth lvling another shaman for.. go for it.

Before Legion's pre-patch came out, I had an auction add-on that could display auctions in order of a percentage based on what they usually go for, which was really useful but Legion broke it. Anyone know what its called or something similar?

Tarazet

Its really not. In fact, its basically a weaker/more limited version of the mage legendary thats already in the game. However, if you think its worth lvling another shaman for.. go for it.

It's still really good because shamans have a powerful cooldown that they can squeeze within the 70 second window, and that's true of all specs. Also, good luck getting to use that Mage legendary in a random group. You have to be the one to initiate, and then 40 seconds later "Can someone hit Heroism for me? kthx <3"

Isocr4cy

It's still really good because shamans have a powerful cooldown that they can squeeze within the 70 second window, and that's true of all specs. Also, good luck getting to use that Mage legendary in a random group. You have to be the one to initiate, and then 40 seconds later "Can someone hit Heroism for me? kthx <3"

Also, just wanted to mention that based on all the work that the Ele sham discord has put in, the new BL helm isn't BiS for either 7.1.5 ele spec. In fact, for the Ascendance build it's not even 2nd place. You can read more here.

v1perz53

Skittish is Tank generating much less aggro/threat.

Technically that's not what (all that) skittish does. While tanks do generate somewhat less threat, the main aspect of skittish is it randomly adds flat value threat to non tanks, with the biggest spikes in the first 5 seconds of a pull. Which is why you see mobs randomly changing aggro targets, and almost always to melee. Which means if DPS avoid combat for 5 seconds, their probability of pulling threat with skittish goes way down, and also because it is a flat value added as gear increases skittish effect technically decreases. Random distinction, but blizzard did a terrible job explaining skittish so I like to explain how it actually works when I can.

Man, really glad we got our NB run as well as our +12 done so early in the week. I don't like necrotic/teeming but it doesn't feel as bad as it used to with more gear, and a break from Fortified was nice, I feel like it hasn't been Tyrannical for a while. Though obviously we got fucking CoS as our +12, and with 0 DPS buffs no less (we got the minor heal/mana rege every few seconds, runspeed, and 10% damage reduction). 2nd boss was surprisingly hard with Necrotic/Tyrannical, not much opportunity to reset there as Guardian druid. Last boss was surprisingly easy though, killed it when one of our DPS died at like 40% (DH obviously, dat fel rush) but with current gear were still able to beat the timer before AoE was unhealable. Nice to get our 885 cache out of the way so early this week.

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/

frost mages are simming the best mage spec right now

demo locks beat everything

I have to imagine that's taking into account two legendaries for each spec right? hrm.

Honestly, any info from Noxxic is pretty much garbage, I don't think they've ever had reliable sources or sims. Though I guess that could've changed recently, but of all the sources available for WoW info they have consistently been the worst.

You can buy up to like 15 or something on any toon.

I thought you could only buy 5 lower than your highest toon? As in, if you just rolled a new alt you couldn't buy shit, but if your main was AK20 you could buy 15, if your main was 15 you could buy 10 etc? If they changed that, sounds awesome, but I didn't personally hear that they did?

Honestly, any info from Noxxic is pretty much garbage, I don't think they've ever had reliable sources or sims. Though I guess that could've changed recently, but of all the sources available for WoW info they have consistently been the worst.

Yeh, I don't trust it.

Like, my time with Frost mages, you'd have to perfectly use your glacial spikes/runes of powers. Glacial Spike can do huge damage, but you need to be able to use it on time. And managing Ebon Bolt/Fingers of Frost/Flurry...it can become a bit spammy. I imagine that's where the haste comes in though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sims rank Fury really oddly cus of execute phase, I've been told.

For example, that says Fury is a bit better than Ret but on live, the top parsing Ret on Guarm did almost 100k more DPS than the top parsing Fury.

DFRgoCp.jpg

Got these tonight!

Really hard to find a transmog that matches though....

Also got an 895 Bloodthirsty Instinct out of my cache today, so even though no BiS legendary yet, overall a good day.

For example, that says Fury is a bit better than Ret but on live, the top parsing Ret on Guarm did almost 100k more DPS than the top parsing Fury.

Yeah, good Rets are really, really, really good DPS wise.

It's like why i don't really take the noxxic site seriously(Friend asked me what the highest dps class was, so I looked at it for a point of reference.)

Like, Demo locks being parsed highly is under the assumption that they can stand still, keep their abilities on GCD, and perfectly proc their Hands and aoe damage spell as well as their artifact ability.

Shadow Priests I know have a strong execute phase with Surrender, Fire mages do very well in the aoe fights(Helya for example, if you time your combustion correctly right before she spits out the blobs in the middle, the ignite will spread to all the blobs and really fuck up the charts because of that. Not to mention the mass skele phase.). Not to mention they can fuck up charts because of 3rd phase Xavius. For Cenarius it's all about when you use combustion(If you use it on the adds in the fight, it can really til the charts towards you).

On the flip side, they have been heavily buffing Frost because it was doing worse than Fire/Arcane, so they might've overbuffed it to a point.

v1perz53

"Problem" with sims is that they have to guess at fight length. So they just say, for example, 5 minute fight, 20% of the time execute range, and go based on that. Any deviation from that skews the results. For example, a 4:30 second fight is skewed to benefit classes with 2 minute CDs (3x over a fight) vs classes with 3 min CDs (only 2x during the fight), or if you have a lot of execute classes execute phase (under 20%) may take less than 20% of the fight duration. Still a good estimate to use, because if you optimize based on optimal conditions you'll be pretty solid under any condition anyway. But any sim DPS "rankings" should be taken with at least 3-4 grains of salt, unless you only care about exactly 5 min long patchwerk fights with 20% execute.

Tacitus_

On the contrary, it's very easy to use it in a random group. Everyone is always fighting to be the first one to hit BL, and then you just use TW whenever you want.

Acidote

I can't believe how incredibly easy Cenarius and Xavius have been after struggling a little bit with Il'gynoth with stupid mistakes. We gave no more than 8 tries total to Cenarius, 3 of them after we changed tactics and he was down, and Xavius went down in 4 or 5 attempts.

We'll focus on MM Guarm and Helya once we return from the Holidays and until Nighthold is released. I don't think we'll have time to do it before that happens (just two resets, and they'll want to keep doing MM EN to gear up some new guildmates), but we'll get as far as we can.

Tarazet

Also, just wanted to mention that based on all the work that the Ele sham discord has put in, the new BL helm isn't BiS for either 7.1.5 ele spec. In fact, for the Ascendance build it's not even 2nd place. You can read more here.

Looks like if I want to play Ele, I'm still rerolling. I have Spiritual Journey, Emalon's Charged Core, and Roots of Nordrassil, all of which are quite usable as Enhancement. But for Elemental they would be useful only for the increased item level.

On the contrary, it's very easy to use it in a random group. Everyone is always fighting to be the first one to hit BL, and then you just use TW whenever you want.

So it's a bad tooltip on their part? It reads like your Time Warp doesn't cause the debuff, but it's not clear that you can actually use it when you already have the debuff. Would that mean you can actually get 2 minutes of haste on, say Helya? Possibly 2:40 on Xavius if the fight goes long enough and you get the dream reset?

I thought you could only buy 5 lower than your highest toon? As in, if you just rolled a new alt you couldn't buy shit, but if your main was AK20 you could buy 15, if your main was 15 you could buy 10 etc? If they changed that, sounds awesome, but I didn't personally hear that they did?

That's how one mechanic works. There's a separate mechanic where any character can instantly purchase notes up to level 15 for the normal 500 order resources.

If you have a character with 20 AK, that's still the most efficient route. But this separate one should help people who started much later and aren't even at 15 yet.

Top Bottom