• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Fjordson

Man, I bitch about Blizzard a lot, but at least they seem to give at least a tiny shit about their franchises.

Fucking Valve.
Forreal. What a depressing thing to read that Episode 3 plot. And the hints Laidlaw put in there about the resistance and people leaving. Goddamn.

I guess I should be thankful to Marc Laidlaw for providing some sort of closure given how Episode 2 ended but it's been a decade, I stopped caring about Half-Life or expecting Valve to finish what they started a few years ago.

I built one of my first towers for the express purpose of playing Half-Life 2. The last time I got excited about a Valve game was Portal 2, which came out in 2011. It became pretty clear years ago that making single player games was something Valve no longer had any interest in. All of their other endeavors--hardware, VR, an OS, free-to-play games, etc--have taken precedence.

I know that some people are upset that there was never a Warcraft 4 or that an MMO replaced their favourite rts game within the series/franchise but that's not the "fuck you" that Half-Life 2: Episode 2 ended on followed by a decade of radio silence.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really need to level a Death Knight to see this.
I mean several of the quests involve directly interacting with and taking orders from Bolvar and the Ebon Blade tacitly giving him a ton of control over them despite the Ebon Blade specifically existing to oppose the Lich King.

It's a little puzzling to be honest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Does anyone know if they're planning to up the max ilvl of followers with 7.3? Or will it stay at 900?

Asking because I need to know if I have to keep that Class Halls upgrade that gives me follower upgrades every 12 hours.

strafer

Man, I bitch about Blizzard a lot, but at least they seem to give at least a tiny shit about their franchises.

Fucking Valve.

It's all Blizzard fault really, if they hadn't made Warcraft 3 which in turn then made that dota mod which then led to the creation of the DOTA the Game.

But for real though, sad stuff reading about that HL3 stuff.

The DK campaign was "awesome", but I totally agree that the lore stuff going on was disappointing.

If Bliz was saying that we are still under the control of The Lich King, and never actually had free will, then they succeeded (that making any sense is a different matter). If that's not true, and we do have free will, then the class fantasy, and what was done during the campaign, was a failure of what I think DK's are. You alienate more allies than you gain.

Bisnic

Am I understanding this right? The new 7.3 ilvl upgrades will upgrade your followers to 900/925/950, rather than 5/10/15 ilvls?

That would be pretty nice, since getting 50 ilvls on 6/7 champions takes forever as it is, especially if you bother doing this on multiple characters. It's even worst when you have to lvl your shitty followers that are still below ilvl 800 from your forgotten alts.

Jag

Am I understanding this right? The new 7.3 ilvl upgrades will upgrade your followers to 900/925/950, rather than 5/10/15 ilvls?

That would be pretty nice, since getting 50 ilvls on 6/7 champions takes forever as it is, especially if you bother doing this on multiple characters. It's even worst when you have to lvl your shitty followers that are still below ilvl 800 from your forgotten alts.

Looks like it. They had armor sets like this in WoD.

Entropia

No One Remembers

That is how I am reading it as well. Thank god.

Speaking of Death Knights, I saw one in Dalaran that was AFK on their class mount so I thought I'd stand there and check it out for a bit. Previously, I thought it was a nice looking mount and I loved the casket on the back. Really nice touch. But after spending some time checking it out I was disappointed with how low resolution the textures look. Like, that frost-themed mount that you can get from doing achievements in ICC looks a lot better than the class mount, I think. And that's almost a decade old.

Speaking of Death Knights, I saw one in Dalaran that was AFK on their class mount so I thought I'd stand there and check it out for a bit. Previously I thought it was a nice looking mount and I loved the casket on the back. Really nice touch. But after spending some time checking it out I was disappointed with how low resolution the textures look. Like, that frost-themed mount that you can get from doing achievements in ICC looks a lot better than the class mount, I think. And that's almost a decade old.

The only cool thing about the DK mount is the quest to get it.

Sarcasm

Having that itch to play but sadly can't.

Bank blocks purchases to battle (I don't live in the west) due to way too many complaints. The price for the gold stuff raised. Don't sell NA timecards here =(

Speaking of Death Knights, I saw one in Dalaran that was AFK on their class mount so I thought I'd stand there and check it out for a bit. Previously, I thought it was a nice looking mount and I loved the casket on the back. Really nice touch. But after spending some time checking it out I was disappointed with how low resolution the textures look. Like, that frost-themed mount that you can get from doing achievements in ICC looks a lot better than the class mount, I think. And that's almost a decade old.

The ICC one is better looking. The blue is totally wrong, and makes it look like a plastic toy.

Is it worth doing the class mount questlines? Only ever heard people say the DK one is cool.

Aside from my main warlock I've completed the campaigns for DH, DK, Rogue and Monk.

Fjordson

Is it worth doing the class mount questlines? Only ever heard people say the DK one is cool.

Aside from my main warlock I've completed the campaigns for DH, DK, Rogue and Monk.
I think they're worth it for the mounts. They're mostly all cool and add some nice flavor to the game.

But if you mean strictly for the quests, then eh. None of the ones I've seen are worth going out of your way to do if you aren't interesting in using the mount.

TheYanger

The ICC one is better looking. The blue is totally wrong, and makes it look like a plastic toy.

The blood mount looks pretty awesome. The frost one is pure ass. The effects when you mount/dismount are cool though (Spec specific particle effect, when you do it wth blood it does the new blood boil graphic which is PROBABLY the best spell effect in the game right now).

I think they're worth it for the mounts. They're mostly all cool and add some nice flavor to the game.

But if you mean strictly for the quests, then eh. None of the ones I've seen are worth going out of your way to do if you aren't interesting in using the mount.

The DK scenario is cool as fuck in concept, it's just easy as balls cause it's wow. but I love the idea that you can't heal and are starving and freezing to death while mindless ghouls are endlessly chasing you down in a storm.

Too bad that just means I keep walking and press my buttons and they die in one hit because I'm not ilevel 750

Yeah compared to the quality of the others that were released it felt like it was leftovers from Wrath or something.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
A wee bit late, but...while the Paladin quest definitely has some cool moments (getting a priest to take up arms and become a paladin), it's had some definite lows.

The 7.2 follower being ANOTHER night elf (And a rando, to boot) is pretty meh, and the class mount quest, while cool in that it harkens back to Stratholme, ends up being so 'far back', time-wise, that it's lost (IMO) a little of its luster.

And then just getting another, sparkled-up pony is....meh, I guess?

Agreed on the weird vibes on the DK quests - they were by far the coolest, but involving Bolvar/the LK directly as the puppetmaster behind putting you in charge just feels super bad-vibes after the whole point of the DKs in WotLK was to be on their own

Especially when we re-raise Darion and make him 'loyal' to us (i.e. the Lich King), and start murdering off potential allies.

I think I've had the most 'fun' with the Rogue, DH, and Warrior ones - priest is decent (espcially the shadow artifact whispering to you) but kinda same-y after doing Pally (though I wish they'd expand more on the lore of some of the characters like Arthas' sister), and while the warlock/Mage ones are interesting, I'm not as invested in it as alt #6/7.

Monk is just 'beer, demons, and more beer' - I hope they find something to get off the one-note 'drunken master' approach in the future.

iirc, Bolvar is an ends justify the means. People think he's bad but,in truth he does what he feels is best for everyone and doesn't are who he has to kill.

erawsd

The Shaman campaign seems like a hugely important thing in the lore but the execution and quest design are so flat and boring.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
iirc, Bolvar is an ends justify the means. People think he's bad but,in truth he does what he feels is best for everyone and doesn't are who he has to kill.
I dunno, he sounds pretty evil when he ordered the Deathlord to kill the Red Dragonflight in the Ruby Sanctum and the Paladins of the Silver Hand to raise Tirion as a dk.

Part of which i think it's because Bolvar blames the red dragons for his current condition since they were the ones that sealed Bolvar's fate as an undead, if they didn't show up on the Wrathgate, Bolvar would have died from the plague. Instead now he lives in torment as the Lich King.

Angry Grimace

It's funny how it took Blizzard 5 expansions to figure out that separating the story/world content and the raid content effectively made it appear as though you are doubling your content output. Granted, Mythic+ making 5 mans more relevant than they've ever been helps.

Bisnic

What class halls upgrades is the best according to some of you? Getting a 7th champion, or that new type of troop?

I thought getting a 7th one would help me doing 2 200% missions at once more often, but it doesn't seem to have improved that much...

Tarazet

I got a +10 Cathedral done on my Warlock. We stormed it, only two deaths the whole dungeon and upgraded it +2. That place is easy and yet people avoid it like the plague. Then gambled 100 shards at Iks'reeged and got 50k back. Rolled them into trinkets and got this beauty:

vNko60U.jpg

Might be the most ridiculous piece of loot I've gotten on any of my 12 110's. And it just happened to be the one that I'm playing as my "main" anyway.

The Shaman campaign seems like a hugely important thing in the lore but the execution and quest design are so flat and boring.
The Shaman campaign is the epitome of the "don't give this any extra thought" approach when it comes to lore. Neptulon just being OK, Magatha not being killed on the spot, the mount quest involving characters that died years ago. Just sort of sloppy and unnecessary all around.

What class halls upgrades is the best according to some of you? Getting a 7th champion, or that new type of troop?

I thought getting a 7th one would help me doing 2 200% missions at once more often, but it doesn't seem to have improved that much...

You might have a bad set-up of champions, either with the ones you do have or with the equipment on them. AFAIK the extra slot is best for all classes. Shouldn't be having an issue 200%ing most missions anyway though.

Could take a look at Harrison Mission Manager or something similar to help a bit there if you wanted.

I always take the 7th champion slot.

Bisnic

The Shaman campaign is the epitome of the "don't give this any extra thought" approach when it comes to lore. Neptulon just being OK, Magatha not being killed on the spot, the mount quest involving characters that died years ago. Just sort of sloppy and unnecessary all around.

You might have a bad set-up of champions, either with the ones you do have or with the equipment on them. AFAIK the extra slot is best for all classes. Shouldn't be having an issue 200%ing most missions anyway though.

Could take a look at Harrison Mission Manager or something similar to help a bit there if you wanted.

Almost all my champions have the equipments for +30% chance on missions longer than 8 hours, and either the 15% mission success or the +15/+20% with specific troops. Never bothered with the +% chance on missions shorter than 4 hours since those are pretty rare & worthless most of the time, or the mission duration reduction. Also tend to have minimum 2 of each specs and make sure i don't have 3+ guys with the same abilities... no i think i'm being smart with my choices. :p

Almost all my champions have the equipments for +30% chance on missions longer than 8 hours, and either the 15% mission success or the +15/+20% with specific troops. Never bothered with the +% chance on missions shorter than 4 hours since those are pretty rare & worthless most of the time, or the mission duration reduction. Also tend to have minimum 2 of each specs and make sure i don't have 3+ guys with the same abilities... no i think i'm being smart with my choices. :p
I ask because you made a post a few pages back about not understanding why some of your champions were lowering mission success chance, so thought it was something to take a second look at. The 8+ hour items are great for making sure you can do the command center missions but are slightly less useful for everyday missions where many are exactly 8 hours or less. With three equipment slots I'm usually looking to choose three of +15 percent success, 10 percent success, 20 percent T2 troop success or 15/15 legendary item. Deviations here and there when it makes sense.

It also explains your issue a few pages back with champions lowering mission success rate. Likely ran into an issue where you would lose your equipment or trait bonus due to a counter or trait lowering duration.

Could also just be a class with shitty champions, not sure what you play. I know warrior is loaded with bad traits and it's annoying to get a decent set-up.

There's some good suggestions and recommendations here. Some good discussion, too. It's possible a lot will change next week though as with champions going to 950 a lot of new missions will be introduced and counter prevalence could change again.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The Warlock mount questline is bullshit, need to buy some stuff from AH and have to wait until a invasion starts to kill the commander of it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Its either 2 hours from your post or 10 minutes.

So.

Relax.

It's a little throwback towards the old mount, same with the paladin. Be a little patient, you will have him in no time.

The point is every other class doesn't have to do that, it's just a little scenario or do some stuff that fits the class like Rogues infiltrating enemy capitals. Having to buy stuff and wait for an invasion is unnecessary.

EmiPrime

A wee bit late, but...while the Paladin quest definitely has some cool moments (getting a priest to take up arms and become a paladin), it's had some definite lows.

The 7.2 follower being ANOTHER night elf (And a rando, to boot) is pretty meh, and the class mount quest, while cool in that it harkens back to Stratholme, ends up being so 'far back', time-wise, that it's lost (IMO) a little of its luster.

And then just getting another, sparkled-up pony is....meh, I guess?

It's a very nice pony!

Dead night elf follower was daft, a quest line going back to Draenor to recruit Yrel would have been a lot better. The Corrupted Ashbringer quest line was fantastic, integrating all the old rumours. It also makes me 50K gold whenever I get AV. ;)

Top Bottom