• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple Jax said:
What you guys do about Spider boss? We've got a strat but have yet to find the right group to fully listen to what we need to do.

Heard they were nerfing Spider as well, actually.
Spider isn't really a big deal if you have a good tank. The main problem with the spider boss is that she stuns the tank and attacks everyone else, but you just need your Pally/Shaman to free the warrior. Also, the warrior should taunt immediately when they get stunned. The spider will start running off to the DPS classes like usual, but will run right back to the warrior before she hits anyone. The taunting is the winning technique that a lot of guilds don't do.

border

Did a 5-man SM Strat run yesterday, and I dunno why people seemed to think it is a big deal to do it with only 5. We got nearly to the end with a fairly crappy group that included a non-English speaking rogue who wanted to attack everything as soon as (s)he saw it, and damage dealers that wouldn't even let me get in 2 Sunder Armors before starting to unload. We wiped because some douche aggro'ed a patrol after we killed The Archivist, but before we burned the archives *annoyed sigh* So I have to do the whole thing over just to complete the quest...

Is it me, or are BGs just a totally different deal at level 60? Before, people used to ask questions, lay out a strategy, form a single raid, frequently communicate about what's going on (even if the communication is in the form of a complaint). Now I have to ask if I wanna know a damned thing about what's going on, everybody has their own groups, etc. The entire game is silent, aside from a few comments in the main channel.....I guess AV is still chatty, but AB and WSG seem mostly silent. You'd think that the level-of-play would go up at 60, rather than down.
The taunting is the winning technique that a lot of guilds don't do.
Shouldn't taunting when you lose aggro be obvious? If I don't have enough rage for a couple sunder armors, I usually taunt, then mocking blow....

explodet

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Spider isn't really a big deal if you have a good tank. The main problem with the spider boss is that she stuns the tank and attacks everyone else, but you just need your Pally/Shaman to free the warrior.
How is a Shaman supposed to free the warrior? The Paladin uses cleanse, but what option does the Shaman have?

border said:
Shouldn't taunting when you lose aggro be obvious? If I don't have enough rage for a couple sunder armors, I usually taunt, then mocking blow....
Well, you haven't done ZG I think, so it's a bit hard to explain. :) The encounter is extremely scripted and unique, so taunting at certain situations doesn't really register to some people. They just see themselves get stunned in a spider web and go "oh, I'll just wait until I'm free."

I didn't even think to taunt it until the raid leader told me about it.
explodet said:
How is a Shaman supposed to free the warrior? The Paladin uses cleanse, but what option does the Shaman have?
I don't know shit about Shaman except that they're overpowered PVP beasts. I just assumed they freed the Warrior for Horde like Paladins do for Alliance.

Yeah, my guild is having trouble with the spider boss. We didn't have very good off tanks in our last run. Our regular tanks should be there the next time we go.

explodet

I don't know shit about Shaman except that they're overpowered PVP beasts. I just assumed they freed the Warrior for Horde like Paladins do for Alliance.
You assumed wrong, my friend! One reason shamans are "overpowered PVP beasts" is because of Purge, which removes buffs from enemies. It doesn't do a thing for our teammates' debuffs, though. Shamans can't remove a lot of magic effects.

Alliance have it so much better when it comes to PvE in most situations.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Another thing you can do to make the spider boss easy is by using two tanks that rotate. Have the main tank keep her out front with the melee. All of the ranged and healers need to be in a tight group with the 2nd tank standing between them and the boss. When the first tank is stunned and the boss comes toward the ranged, the 2nd tank taunts midway and drags the boss back to the melee. When the 1st tank comes out of stun he runs back and stands in front of the ranged and waits for the 2nd tank to be stunned. Rinse and repeat until the boss is dead.

fallout

explodet said:
You assumed wrong, my friend! One reason shamans are "overpowered PVP beasts" is because of Purge, which removes buffs from enemies.
Don't forget about windfury, windfury totem, earthbind totem, grounding totem, frost shock, earth shock, heals, mail wearing, 2h maces+axes, nature's swiftness, stormstrike and if they're Tauren, they've also got war stomp!

It doesn't do a thing for our teammates' debuffs, though. Shamans can't remove a lot of magic effects.
They can remove disease, poison, charm, sleep, fear and whatever else grounding totem takes care of.

explodet

fallout said:
Don't forget about windfury, windfury totem, earthbind totem, grounding totem, frost shock, earth shock, heals, mail wearing, 2h maces+axes, nature's swiftness, stormstrike and if they're Tauren, they've also got war stomp!
Well, yeah - those are a whole lot of other reasons. :D

I've got a lvl 60 shaman (not my main), I know what they're capable of.
I was primarily referring to the Mar'li fight where shamans can't get rid of the web she creates. Plus all those fire debuffs during fights with lava packs in Molten Core - pallies can get rid of them, shamans can't. I HATE lava packs.

The one time I was a shaman during the Mar'li fight I put down poison cleansing and nature resist, then spammed cure poison and lesser healing wave. No chance for DPS.

Ferrio

Banned
Paladin's don't use cleanse for spider web, they use blessing of freedom. Has a pretty lengthy cooldown I think... not sure.

Though the fight is very doable even without them, our first few run sof ZG we never did use blessing of freedom. We just had tank rotation, One tank tanking, one in the healer line. When she charges healer line, OT takes her drags her back t o the MT.

explodet

Of course, blessing of freedom. The bane of any Horde trying to slow down an Alliance flag carrier in Warsong Gulch.
My mistake.

What got us the last time was the heal she does, nobody seems to be able to interrupt it in time before she restores 10% of her health.

Ikse

I think we get our Shaman to shock her and the same for Batlady when she goes to heal herself. What do Alliance have when it comes to stopping her heal? Or is that an area Horde have one more option.

Ferrio

Banned
Ikse said:
I think we get our Shaman to shock her and the same for Batlady when she goes to heal herself. What do Alliance have when it comes to stopping her heal? Or is that an area Horde have one more option.

Kick/Pummel/Shield Bash(?)

MrPing1000 said:
dinged 60 tonight :) still haven't done brd (8 quests lol) or have a guild. Not too good at making friends in mmo's
If you're good, you'll make friends just doing random BRD groups and such. They'll notice you don't have a guild and will invite you. You don't have to be friends with anyone to be in a guild, you just have to be good at your class role.

You can also take advantage of the fact that you're unguilded and say "Ni hao!" and "xie xie!" to everyone.

border

I've seen that on the Auction House a couple times and it looks awesome....particularly because of the speed. I can't stand these huge 2H weapons that take nearly 4 seconds to get a hit in (and you're screwed if you whiff a couple times). A great find/purchase if you are axe-spec'ed IMO.

It does suck that the proc is a stupid intellect debuff, and there's no stat bonuses.....but I haven't seen any other speedy purple axes that are as easily found.

lol

You want a 3.4 or slower speed weapon. The Brain Hacker is a Shaman weapon, primarily. It's honestly probably the worst weapon you can possibly purchase as a 2-hander wielding warrior.

I don't think you understand how axe spec works and why those slow, hard-hitting weapons make warriors so imbalanced in the eyes of others.

Ramirez

What got us the last time was the heal she does, nobody seems to be able to interrupt it in time before she restores 10% of her health.

Pretty sure the heal has to be dispelled by a priest,it's not something you can interupt like the bat lady I think...

border

Explain then. The high-powered slow stuff would be nice if you could reliably get off a Slam in PvP, but usually people are shuckin' n' jivin' too much. Overpowers are nice, though if you're not swinging that often they won't be dodging that often....

Ripclawe

Banned
lol

You want a 3.4 or slower speed weapon. The Brain Hacker is a Shaman weapon, primarily. It's honestly probably the worst weapon you can possibly purchase as a 2-hander wielding warrior.

I don't think you understand how axe spec works and why those slow, hard-hitting weapons make warriors so imbalanced in the eyes of others.

Considering they changed the way weapon damage are calculated after patch 1.8, I am trying to figure out if now this weapon is more viable than before.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/patchnotes.html

border said:
Explain then. The high-powered slow stuff would be nice if you could reliably get off a Slam in PvP, but usually people are shuckin' n' jivin' too much. Overpowers are nice, though if you're not swinging that often they won't be dodging that often....
Shouldn't the fact that people are moving around so much be the primary motivator in wanting a slow weapon that can just destroy them in one shot when you get a chance?

As a warrior, your abilities are all instant attacks like Mortal Strike, Overpower, Whirlwind, etc. You want your Mortal Strike every 6 seconds to be the most punishing, brutal hit possible. The game multiplies your weapon's hit damage by 3.4 to figure your Mortal Strike power. By now, you should see that a Brain Hacker, a really fast weapon with a really low top damage-per-hit value, would result in incredibly wimpy Mortal Strikes compared to something like an Arcanite Reaper, which does over 100 more damage in a single hit just based on math, without taking into account crit % or armor values, etc.

As a result, your Mortal Strikes over time will do considerably less damage with a Brain Hacker compared to a warrior with a slow, hard-hitting 2-hander that just rails the enemy every 6 seconds.

PVP for a warrior is extremely burst-damage based. You will want to at least 5 shot a mage, because if you can't, you lose. The critical strikes you get with a Brain Hacker will be laughable compared to the brutal crits you could land with a high-damage slow weapon.

Also, no one uses Slam despite its intended use.
Ripclawe said:
Considering they changed the way weapon damage are calculated after patch 1.8, I am trying to figure out if now this weapon is more viable than before.
It's more viable, but barely. Brain Hacker MS hits will do about 40 more damage while Reaper MS hits will do 40 less damage. It's not noticeable or worthwhile at all. (My math might be a little off, but I calculated that myself months ago when this patch came out based on my stats at the time.)

Really, it just looks to me that you guys want a dual-wielding Fury build, and I totally recommend it. :) I specced to it a couple months ago, and if you have enough +hit% gear to rarely miss, you can do explosive damage.

border

As a result, your Mortal Strikes over time will do considerably less damage with a Brain Hacker compared to a warrior with a slow, hard-hitting 2-hander that just rails the enemy every 6 seconds.
Assuming that most fights are going to have me burning Rage on at least an Intercept and a Hamstring or two, how am I supposed to be hitting MS every 6 seconds (particularly if I only get in one normal swing during that period)? Against a mage that spends 90% of his time outside melee range, I don't see how it's gonna happen.

Is the Arcanite Reaper the best axe for someone not yet privy to PvP/raid goodies? It's the only high level 2H axe that pops up on AH, though maybe there's a better drop I haven't heard of.

border said:
Assuming that most fights are going to have me burning Rage on at least an Intercept and a Hamstring or two, how am I supposed to be hitting MS every 6 seconds (particularly if I only get in one normal swing during that period)? Against a mage that spends 90% of his time outside melee range, I don't see how it's gonna happen.
lol if you can't get 30 rage every 6 seconds or learn how to counter a mage, you need to learn2play. :) Every other warrior in the game can do it.
Is the Arcanite Reaper the best axe for someone not yet privy to PvP/raid goodies? It's the only high level 2H axe that pops up on AH, though maybe there's a better drop I haven't heard of.
You can get an Ice Barbed Spear just for being in one winning Alterac Valley game. It's a quest reward for winning once, compared to spending 800g on shit for Reaper materials. There's also the Barbarous Blade or Blackhand Doomsaw.

border

lol if you can't get 30 rage every 6 seconds or learn how to counter a mage, you need to learn2play. :) Every other warrior in the game can do it.
Unless this axe is generating 30 rage on every swing, how else is there to do it? You only get one swing over a 6 second period. Yes, you get past 30 on a charge + Bloodrage, but those are only once per fight given their cooldown time (and often you don't even get to charge).

As for mages, what else is there to do besides, charge/Intercept and hope you can time your Pummel(s) correctly?
You can get an Ice Barbed Spear just for being in one winning Alterac Valley game. It's a quest reward for winning once, compared to spending 800g on shit for Reaper materials. There's also the Barbarous Blade or Blackhand Doomsaw.
None of those are axes =P I use the Ice Barbed Spear for AV games, though I still think polearms are kinda lame.

border

That's kind of the point, isn't it? I've picked axes, so I'm looking for decent axes. Polearms always seem like a waste because there's no 1H polearm for you to get that crit bonus with when tanking or dual-wielding.

Malakhov

Banned
I specced into axes when I'd use a double handed axe with my MS build and specced polearms when I'd use a polearm with my MS build, never in both.

border

Is it still worth pursuing +Defense gear for tanking? I know they nerfed Defense couple patches ago, but I'm still not clear on how the skill works so I'm unsure...

SaitoH

+ defense is your friend. It improves your dodge, parry and block. My warrior has 400 defense, which is pretty damn good for a non-raider. I recommend getting Tank points . Very handy UI mod that gives you a numeric value to your overall mitigation. You can also plug in stats from items to see if they actually improve your mitigation.

My tanks profile

yacobod

Banned
spider boss is pretty easy actually

u need 2 groups

Group 1: MT + melee dps on the spider

Group 2: healers + ranged dps + OT

have Group 2 stand like 20 yards or so away from Group 1

when the spider webs Group 1, the spider will rush group 2, have the OT taunt and grab aggro on the spider and bring the spider back to group 1, and resume melee dps, the MT will go back to Group 2

you simply need 2 tanks to ping pong the spider between groups

the fight is more of an endurance fight then anything

anyone other than the MT/OT should bandage themselves not to stress the healers

if you can keep your MT/OT alive, the fight should be no problem

this is my guild's strat

we are on Twisting Nether, one of the new RP-PVP servers, and we are clearing thru the Tiger boss right now, having trouble with the panther atm

the guild is currently in all blue gear, we just started MC last week, and have downed luci so far

Ah i have fun talking to chinese gold farmers its great. They tell me about how they run dungeons and take shit from people its hilarious.

fallout

You'd probably want more RAM. The game runs very nicely on most computers with 512 until you try doing any major PvP or hit up the AH/bank in Org/IF. I've got 1.5 GB on a laptop and it runs very smoothly for the most part. I know quite a few people running it on 1GB, which seems to be the acceptable minimum.

Nikashi

Banned
No. Get a gig of RAM, minimum.

Why do you have an x850 in that poor system?

because my current video card just esploded and that one is on a harsh sale right now.

Why am I stuck on this retarded server?

I have been trying to complete Warlord's Command but people on this server are too retarded to do anything.

Today we had a killer group everybody was playing their roles perfect we completely smashed the whole place. Now we have just killed the wolf boss and the damn healer just says gtg guys hs. No warning no nothing what the fuck? Well I hs to orgrimmar to find a new healer. Healer found travel to LBRS. We continue for 10 min. and the new healer then says, WTF guys you killed the wolf? I needed that. Bye. hs. Why the fuck didn't he say so in the first place? Then the rest of the party went hs hs hs but not me because mine had 45 minutes cooldown remaining and to top it all when exiting the instance I was greeted by a nice group of alliance folks.

I hope Blizzard soon implements that server move system.

Ikse

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Yeah I have that and the Hero Charm from ZG. You can get some massive crits with both of them activated.

Also got my ZHC tonight aswell :). Do you know if it is possible to use both trinkets at once, via a macro?

I ran WoW on 512mb for some time. It's servicable, but be prepared for LOTS of slowdown and long loadtimes in dense areas. But it's definitely playable.

That said, I'd also recommend 1 gig, though.

Ferrio

Banned
yacobod said:
the guild is currently in all blue gear, we just started MC last week, and have downed luci so far

Maggy was the big road block for us. Once we killed him we steam rolled through MC. Garr took like 2 nights to get down, then we steam rolled to Domo.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Ikse said:
Also got my ZHC tonight aswell :). Do you know if it is possible to use both trinkets at once, via a macro?

Yeah, you can. Here it is.

/script UseInventoryItem(GetInventorySlotInfo("Trinket0Slot"))
/script UseInventoryItem(GetInventorySlotInfo("Trinket1Slot"))

Ikse

Ferrio said:
Maggy was the big road block for us. Once we killed him we steam rolled through MC. Garr took like 2 nights to get down, then we steam rolled to Domo.

Yea similar for us too, but instead of Garr it was Geddon that caused us issues after Magma.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Yeah, you can. Here it is.

/script UseInventoryItem(GetInventorySlotInfo("Trinket0Slot"))
/script UseInventoryItem(GetInventorySlotInfo("Trinket1Slot"))

Thanks.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh I am pumped. New Dell Inspiron 9300 with an nVidia 6800 and 2 gigs of RAM gets delivered today.:) Can't wait to install WoW and see the world of difference.

Currently rocking a GeForce 4 MX(BLECH) and 420megs of RAM. LAGFORGE no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom