• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrio said:
Finally got my ThunderFury. The sword so far is OK, I seem to be leading in DPS... but barely.

You play a Warrior not a Rogue, correct? I heard that they made the Thunderfurry less effective for a Rogue in one of the last patches.

yacobod

Banned
grats on your thunderfury dude

but TF was nurfed in patch 1.9 so it's currently not as good, but who knows they may buff it again in a future patch or come expansion

look at the brightside though, you have a legendary now, its not purple, its orange, instant e-peen maker, go stand around on the mailbox in ironforge and charge ppl 1g to touch you

Ferrio

Banned
yacobod said:
grats on your thunderfury dude

but TF was nurfed in patch 1.9 so it's currently not as good, but who knows they may buff it again in a future patch or come expansion

look at the brightside though, you have a legendary now, its not purple, its orange, instant e-peen maker, go stand around on the mailbox in ironforge and charge ppl 1g to touch you

Read original message!

Anyways ya, it's not as nice as it used to be for rogues since the proc nerf hurt them the most (well besides hunters and pallies.......but that's another story of blizz not taking account the classes). The damage range on the sword is pretty bad for a rogue, so you lose some massive SS damage, which before a rogue could cause the thing to proc so much it didn't matter. Now it only procs enough to maybe make up the lost SS damage, maybe a tiny bit more.

Again, if I had known it was goign to get nerfed when I originally got both bindings, I wouldn't of gone for it. But since I already had it and most the mats when the nerf went through there was no reason not to complete the quest.

Hero

Grats on the Thunderfury, Ferrio. Even before I played the game I wanted that sword because it looked so cool. It's unfortunate that it got nerfed. I looked at one in IF and the weapon damage is barely beating out my current blue mainhand, and since the proc rate was reduced I'm sad. But you never know, they might buff it again in the future.

firex

Wow, congrats on Thunderfury, Ferrio! The MT in my guild is still working on elementium... well, and we need Garr's bindings to drop. Hell, who cares about whether it's really "the best" in the game, you worked your ass off for it, and it's definitely the coolest looking weapon I've seen.

I'm just an amateur in comparison!

Ferrio

Banned
Heh... one of our MT's has all the mats except 10 elementium. He'll have it within the month.

We also have another warrior with 1 of the bindings.....

You guys see IGN's look at Hellfire Citadel from The Burning Crusade? They might have got it from the official WoW site, but it seems to be down. So here's the article and concept art.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/697/697320p1.html

world-of-warcraft-the-burning-crusade-20060321115426513-000.jpg

Speaking of the expansion...Anyone here anything new on the new Alliance race, or just the expansion in general?

firex

The only thing I've heard about the new Alliance race is that it's "really lame." This is coming from a friend of mine who somehow got into Gfraizer's/Nebu's guild, and I know it sounds like a stupid source, but I trust him. Nebu won't give up the goods on who it is, he just thinks they're lame.

So anyway, I take it Thunderaan isn't a hard fight? I'd imagine he's tougher than any of the Silithus outdoor raid stuff (Royals/rhoman'kahn), but he's not on the level of Ragnaros, is he? It sounds fun (downloading video right now, actually).

etiolate

Banned
Man the Kalimdor flight paths for Alliance are pretty lame. I am not sure why I just noticed this, but I think it's the fact that I've actually decided to explore Kalimdor instead of fly in for instances. I can go from Theramore to Auberdine or Nijels, but I can't go to Ashenvale from Theramore even though it's closer than either of the other two.

SaitoH

firex said:
The only thing I've heard about the new Alliance race is that it's "really lame." This is coming from a friend of mine who somehow got into Gfraizer's/Nebu's guild, and I know it sounds like a stupid source, but I trust him. Nebu won't give up the goods on who it is, he just thinks they're lame.

Hopefully he thinks Pandas are lame. =P

SaitoH said:
Hopefully he thinks Pandas are lame. =P

I doubt I'll actually roll a character of one of the new races, I'm just interested for the furthering of the WarCraft storyline. Right now the concensus on the new Alliance race is the Dranei which a lot of people would call lame, but we'll have to see. We may find out at E3.

firex

Personally, I hope the new Alliance race is something everyone views as lame. From the alliance perspective, that means an ugly race, from the horde perspective, that means a stupid race.

I say that because we all know all of the losers who don't play Horde because they're ugly will flock to the blood elves in the expansion. I'm in favor of population balance... even if it does make the horde population become barrens chat on a global scale.

If the alliance gets draenei, I really wouldn't understand that storywise (and I'm not sure it's going to happen, actually). Whatever race it is, I think they'll have to be limited to the following classes:
Warrior, Paladin*, Hunter, Mage, Warlock

If they can only be these classes, then the expansion would make it so both factions are even across the board in race/class combos. Draenei would make sense for everything but Paladin, and it would tie into Outland in the expansion, but I don't know if that's really going to happen or not. I think it may just be some really bizarre race from nowhere, like a faction of Gnolls or Furbolgs or something.

*Not sure on this one - it would make sense as there are 3 shaman races, but Blizzard may just throw it out since paladin/shaman are faction specific.

Oh, but if it's Pandas, I'll fucking kill blizzard! Pandaren are way too cool to join up with the alliance. Plus, the horde is the one with the quest for Chen's Empty Keg!

Shouta

If it was Draenei, I'd totally roll a character to play as one. They're fucking badass looking (just needs a better looking model for players).

firex said:
If the alliance gets draenei, I really wouldn't understand that storywise (and I'm not sure it's going to happen, actually).

Well the storyline about the Blood Elves isn't exactly clear yet either. The Blood Elves, Naga, and Dranei were all allied under Illidan. So why have the Blood Elves now turned to the horde, instead of looking to Illidan for leadership like they did in WarCraft 3?

firex

yeah, I wanted to get to that. I think the blood elf storyline will either be:
1) Really well-thought out and makes some sense
or
2) Weak and lame, and we'll realize they just added them to the horde because they hate night elves and humans, and wanted to give the horde a pretty race to attract more players

Draenei makes some sense for the alliance (as a "guide" race into Outland, at least) yet at the same time, it'd make more sense for Draenei to be neutral... along with the blood elves.

Back in beta, a lot of us wanted the expansion to have a THIRD faction, consisting of:
Blood elves, Draenei, Naga, Satyrs (under Illidan's command)

and if they were to add in a 5th race to the horde... Ogres, or a faction of Goblins.

I still don't really know what would be good as a 5th race for the alliance, storywise. But hell, it's not like blood elves makes much sense either.

fallout

firex said:
Back in beta, a lot of us wanted the expansion to have a THIRD faction, consisting of:
Blood elves, Draenei, Naga, Satyrs (under Illidan's command)
That would be cool. Though I can see how they could fuck it up royally, heh.

ToyMachine228 said:
Well the storyline about the Blood Elves isn't exactly clear yet either. The Blood Elves, Naga, and Dranei were all allied under Illidan. So why have the Blood Elves now turned to the horde, instead of looking to Illidan for leadership like they did in WarCraft 3?

I think that after the events of War 3, the Blood Elves feel rejected/unwanted by the Alliance. Given their history with the Well of Eternity and all that, the general spin is "magic junkies" who are seeking to return to Outland in order to reconnect with the primordial magical energies. Like the Forsaken, their alliance with the Horde is based more on current convenience and shared goals than actual shared ideologies. The Blood Elves perceive the Horde as a better gateway to Outland than the Alliance, and Bob's your uncle.

Synthesizer Patel said:
I think that after the events of War 3, the Blood Elves feel rejected/unwanted by the Alliance. Given their history with the Well of Eternity and all that, the general spin is "magic junkies" who are seeking to return to Outland in order to reconnect with the primordial magical energies. Like the Forsaken, their alliance with the Horde is based more on current convenience and shared goals than actual shared ideologies. The Blood Elves perceive the Horde as a better gateway to Outland than the Alliance, and Bob's your uncle.

That, and Sylvanas was High Elf in life (vested interest). Note also that Dranei still loathe Orcs, too...

Who knows? Maybe piddling about in Outland ain't cutting it for either of them for either side. Familiarity breeds contempt, and an unlocking of the gate to Outland frees alot of anger.

SD-Ness

Just because I'm curious:

I have a Level 27 Human Paladin on Rexxar and I've logged about 3 days so far. How much more do I have to log on average for level 40/50/60? I remember seeing my cousins stats and he had logged 25 days and was a 60.

ManaByte

SD-Ness said:

I have a Level 27 Human Paladin on Rexxar and I've logged about 3 days so far. How much more do I have to log on average for level 40/50/60? I remember seeing my cousins stats and he had logged 25 days and was a 60.

Not too long to 40. 40-55 is a little slower. 55-60 can seem like forever.

SD-Ness said:

If it's your first 60, then probably around 15-16 days played. And that's at a very casual pace (tradeskills, exploring, yadda yadda).

fallout

Yeah, I think my first 60 took around 18 days or so played? And that was over a long period, with lots of not-levelling (world PvP, BGs, exploring, etc.).

firex

I can't even remember right now how long it took me to get my warlock to 60. But I think it was something along the lines of 21-23 days played. Then again, while I play a lot (or playED a lot, I haven't been playing as much in the past few weeks), I also tend to stall out a bit when I'm in that rut of 55-60. Though 59-60 goes relatively fast.

Ferrio

Banned
+ to hit rocks!

It used to suck major ass, until they changed it so it would affect your dual wield penelty. Usually you have a -24% hit rate to your default hits when you dual wield. I started investing in +hit gear (over AP gear and other things). I now have +16% to hit in all (+11 from gear, +5 from talents). I now only have a 9% miss rate on default hits.

That's quite a lot of extra dps I would of missed especiall considering that each hit:

-Can trigger sword specialization
-Can trigger Hand of Justice
-Can trigger a poison proc
-Can trigger a thunderfury proc.

Unfortunately there's not much more gear I can get without severely gimping myself at this point. Only gear I can look foward to is Bloodfang bracers, and Bloodfang chestpiece.

fallout

No offense to Ferrio or anything, it's unrelated ... but what the fuck is with the attraction to female night elf rogues? I just don't fucking get it. I'm in an AV right now and I've accumulated about 40 fucking NE heads, most of which are from rogues ... female ones to. Fuck, roll a different race, gender and class you stupid fucks.

Ferrio said:
+ to hit rocks!

It used to suck major ass, until they changed it so it would affect your dual wield penelty. Usually you have a -24% hit rate to your default hits when you dual wield. I started investing in +hit gear (over AP gear and other things). I now have +16% to hit in all (+11 from gear, +5 from talents). I now only have a 9% miss rate on default hits.

That's quite a lot of extra dps I would of missed especiall considering that each hit:

-Can trigger sword specialization
-Can trigger Hand of Justice
-Can trigger a poison proc
-Can trigger a thunderfury proc.

Unfortunately there's not much more gear I can get without severely gimping myself at this point. Only gear I can look foward to is Bloodfang bracers, and Bloodfang chestpiece.

I fell in love with +hit and +spell hit when I got my Lionheart Helm crafted. FAR fewer whiffing, SS -> WW all hits spiked dramatically, that leads to more Rage; altogether more hurtin'. I then started tanking Bosses that were 62+ with the Rune of the Guard Captain (+1% Hit, 20 ATK) on, sunders and revenges hit earlier and often, making for stick 'em aggro I can depend on. :D

Keep in mind though, with +hit, there's a certain % where enough is enough and you should focus on crit % gear like usual. I don't know any of the math, but after you get enough hit %, getting more just gimps you where crit % would make up for any misses.

I've got 9% +hit on my warrior so far, and I'm always grinding for more. It's so underrated.

Also, special moves (and anyone not dual-wielding) always only have a 5% miss rate, so anything above +5% hit won't do shit for anything but normal damage.

fallout

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This is what the Alliance thinks too. The Night Elf female rogue or hunter is generally always a good way to determine idiocy or immaturity.
:lol Ah well, at least I get to kill them over and over again.

Ferrio

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Keep in mind though, with +hit, there's a certain % where enough is enough and you should focus on crit % gear like usual. I don't know any of the math, but after you get enough hit %, getting more just gimps you where crit % would make up for any misses.

I've got 9% +hit on my warrior so far, and I'm always grinding for more. It's so underrated.

Also, special moves (and anyone not dual-wielding) always only have a 5% miss rate, so anything above +5% hit won't do shit for anything but normal damage.

After +24 to hit it's enough, since that completely negates the dual wield penetly. After that the only thing +hit does it counteract your opponent's dodges/parries

No offense to Ferrio or anything, it's unrelated ... but what the fuck is with the attraction to female night elf rogues?

To be fair I wish I hadn't rolled one either. The reason I did at the time was I *thought* that the NE racials would be great for rogues... hahahahaha. The reason I picked female is cause the male NE's looking fucking dumb.

If I had known what I known about racials back when the game first cam eout I would of been human.

fallout

Yeah, I know you've mentioned that you would've gone differently based on racial traits. Actually, heh, in crowded PvP situations, I hate those damn Gnome rogues. I like to get a dot on them, but they can be hard to click on.

I'm currently +9 to hit, +11 to daggers. I don't miss much at all. I should try and track it next MC run. I usually hover around 38% crit rate. Before respec to combat daggers, it was around 39-41. I attribute the crit drop to more hits with my off hand and blade flurry.

SaitoH

Rating the alliance races:

Human - Male: Muscle bound doofi that are built like a box and have a bad looking run animation. Their box frame makes most armour look meh and they look absolutely terrible is most caster gear (aka dresses). Only redeeming features are their dance, and a couple of jokes.

Bad choice

Human - Female: Good run animation. Their shoulders are a bit narrow and seeing as how Blizzard loves huge pauldrons, this can be a bit of a detriment. Overall though, all amour looks very good on them. They make an excellent looking caster. Dance animation is a bit weak as are most of the jokes.

Excellent choice

Gnome - Male: Silly looking, but that's the big part of their appeal. Most gear looks pretty decent but any detail below the waist is completely obscured by their stubby legs. Make sure you have good looking set shoulders and helm because you won't be able to decern anything else. Great dance -especially when syncronized with a female gnome. Decent jokes.

Very Good choice

Gnome - Female: Pretty much same as Gnome male except for their hyper-cute looking face. Depends on taste.

Good choice

Dwarf - Male: What can I say, they look like dwarves. Run is a bit off, great jokes, mediocre dance. Bigger than Gnomes, so armour detail is much easier to decern. Very stocky, but most items do look pretty good -even caster dresses don't look too bad. Tend to get more clipping errors being the only real downside.

Excellent choice

Dwarf - female: I can't make myself pick one. I just don't like em.

Night Elf - Female: Amazon woman! Gotta say, anything they wear looks good. I'd even go so far as to say that Wrath looks good on them. O_O;; Broader shoulders then female human really helps shows off those pauldrons. Awesome dance, poor jokes, and a run that's almost perfect save for the mechanical horizontal arm fling.

Excellent choice

Night Elf - Male: HUGE shoulders and a tiny waist make anything -much like their female counterparts- look good on them. Bad run. Bad faces. Bad hair. Bad jokes. Bad dance -though oddly it suits them. I can't stand Night Elf males. They REALLY bug me, but gear does look good on them.

Bad choice

My top alliance picks: Human Female, Night Elf Female, Dwarf Male

Wish I had more experience with the horde, but here goes:

Undead: Really cool race overall, hunch doesn't even bother that much since it seems fitting, but I HATE the tattered armour thing. Yes, it's neat early on, but gets annoying quick.

Hunch level - tollerable

Tauren: Probably my favourite horde choice. Male only. Some gear looks awful on them though. Must be quite hard to adapt armour to "fit" them.

Hunch level - tollerable

Troll: I like the troll males. Troll females are a sad attempt to give the horde a "hottie" choice. I SO wish male trolls would stand up more.

Hunch level - annoying

Orc: Never played one.

Hunch level - annoying

yacobod

Banned
horde side its orcs all the way

durotar + barrens >> tirisfal glades + silverpine

orc males and females are the best looking horde side without question

only the horde males have the hunch it seems

so i think the overall best looking toon horde side is a female orc, but orc warriors look bad ass

25% stun resist is the best pvp racial in the game

blood fury for warriors is a huge AP buff when used correctly

orcs are the only race horde side that even wears shoes lol, so thats +1 orcs

orc males have the best dance horde side

shoulders look awesome on an orc

helms look ridiculous on a tauren and troll due to horns and tusks

tauren have fuckin tails and hooves

fallout

Personally, I love the Horde races. I just find them so much interesting. That said, my only real complaint about being predominantly Horde (I've got an alt on another server) is that I'm missing out on some really kick ass architecture.

Our guild started up a joke alt-guild on another server. We were hot, female paladins and the guild charter said that we couldn't wear shirts. Our name was <Paladins Made Secksy> or <PMS> for short. Anyway, a lot of us had never started an ally alt or had never raided a major city (at the time, I had only ever snuck into Darnassus once ... not bad for a cow-sized Shaman) and we were amazed when we first saw Stormwind and Ironforge. Hell, they made Org look like a kid's sandbox.

yacobod said:
orc males have the best dance horde side
While it's close, nothing beats the T-Shuffle, baby.

helms look ridiculous on a tauren and troll due to horns and tusks
For awhile, I had my Tauren Shaman wearing a "Helm of Exile", which actually has horns on it. I thought it looked awesome because my Tauren also has big-ass horns ... so I was double-horned.

firex

yeah, orcs look awesome as warriors, seriously. And it's just comical how huge set shoulders are on orc males. You should see the nemesis spaulders on my warlock.
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7007/sexinessavatar5la.jpg

For what it's worth... I think the horde side equivalent of female night elf rogue/hunter as a sign that someone's probably immature and stupid is male undead rogue/warlock. Though I think in general you get less stupid people horde side (but only because of the smaller population).

Ferrio said:
After +24 to hit it's enough, since that completely negates the dual wield penetly. After that the only thing +hit does it counteract your opponent's dodges/parries

And defense. In fact defense is the biggest whiff factor in game, not dual wield.

Ruas

Banned
its funny when i started my warrior i felt bad cause i later found out they are considered the worst class, now they are the most popular. i should have rerolled when my warrior was in the 20s now i cant imagine ever starting anew, takes to long. wish i would have started a warlock.

Ferrio said:
No, you missed my point.

Depending on the gear, certain items that give you crit % are better for DPS than hit %. While +hit will reduce your misses, a good +crit item will make up for the extra misses with giant crit DPS.

After around 12% +hit, you're pretty much better off going for +crit%.

There's a guy on the warrior forums that did all the math on hit/crit and figured out the optimal gear. I'm sure someone on the rogue forum has done the same.

border

Wowguru updated with stats on the Helm of Heroism, for any warriors or paladins that are interested. As I imagined, it seems to be focused on PVP, with a +crit bonus instead of +Defense. The +32 Stamina bonus is generous enough to make it useful in tanking, but I dunno if that's enough to make it comparable to the Enchanted Thorium Helm or the improved Gyth's Skull helm. Is there any reliable way to weigh out Stamina bonuses against Defense bonuses? I guess it depends on how much Defense you already have, since it's supposed to be a diminishing returns kind of stat.

firex

I'd say, if your defense is below 400, then defense > stamina. Or, if you're only going to gain 1 more defense vs 100 hp... then stamina > defense.

But I don't know for sure. I just know that 420 defense is ideal for a tank so you can be crit immune (in pve).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom