• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

If there's one thing I still hate about patch days, it's waiting for mods to be updated/waiting for sites to stop being hammered so I can download them.

anyway, I went and respecced my pally to ret/holy. while I'm sure I won't have all the tools needed to heal an instance, I can provide good backup. And just as importantly, now I can grind quests/money again to get the 2k I still need for my epic flyer.

mollipen

And here is a great example of why I don't play more computer games. *sigh*

sigh.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Some of the servers and even the account authentication seem to be down.

Ah there we go. Well half of the servers are down. Why does this always seem to happen :lol

speedpop

Don't think so. As far as I know once you get the PTR up and running, it's like having an entirely separate installation of WoW going on. That's why I always try and get rid of it if I am having no need to test content because it's another 3-5gb of shit I don't need on the HDD.

Zalasta

unifin said:
Holy mother of GOD, man. How much do you play?

I'm more surprised by the fact that a guild would actually let a hybrid have both Hammer of Naaru and Light's Justice for their separate sets, since you shouldn't have priority on items that is not directly related to your spec. Unless there was no one else there that can use it, but, I kind of doubt that (at least not for the Hammer, since it's a 25-men raid).

yacobod

Banned
ugh finally got my BS up to 375, i must have spent around 2000g going from 360 to 375 in the past week, but soon it will all be worth it when i get my deep thunder

Hammer of the Naaru is pretty much a paladin toy. Who else is going to use a two handed hammer with spell damage on it? I guess maybe a resto shaman with 11+ points in enhancement but that's about it. And Light's Justice is useful for what he's likely doing most often.

edit: The patch bumped me up to 1700 healing unbuffed among other stat increases (ridiculous).

Ramirez

I've been considering selling my account, do people still buy them and is there any where to do it so you know it's legit? I've got a freakin 60 mage, 63 hunter, 60 shaman all horde and then a 70 warrior with 3/5 Arena gear/BS epic weapon and a 70 draenei shaman with kara loots. Countless other toons in the mid 30's/40's as well...hmm.

speedpop

Most accounts seem to have dropped in price severely over the past few weeks/months so don't expect the crazy amounts that you might have received in the past.

unifin

Ok - so how many of the popular addons are 2.1 compatible yet?

None of mine loaded yesterday...

titanpanel, auctioneer, totemus

Hero

So the patch pretty much broke my game install. I can't play for 10 minutes without getting an error 132.

I go to the WoW technical forums and there's a hundred posts on this error. The CM's are saying it has to do with unsupported graphics cards and one CM even blamed it on Windows.

F.uck you Blizzard.

firex

I get lots more crashes now too, though it's mostly when I alt tab. I've actually been having problems like that ever since the expansion, but it wasn't this bad until this patch.

Meier

As someone who was away for awhile and only using add-ons for one patch since coming back.. is there any way to update them all or do I have to redownload new/fixed versions individually for each one?

Nikashi

Banned
unifin said:
Ok - so how many of the popular addons are 2.1 compatible yet?

None of mine loaded yesterday...

titanpanel, auctioneer, totemus

New patches ALWAYS disable all addons. The next time you play, just click the 'Addons' button, then use the checkbox for 'load out of date addons'. That should let you load and use any addons you already have set up.

firex

You pretty much have to download new versions of each addon to make them compatible. Some people put in a kind of updater/downloader for a new version, or have their own little website for hosting their mod, but for the most part I just search curse-gaming (or other sites) for updated mods.

edit: I gotta say, this new little debuff cooldown they added by default to the game is awesome. It isn't as precise as dot timer addons, but it's nearly as good.

explodet

Yeah, and the player's debuffs remain large while the other ones shrink, making it easier to see the countdown. Wasn't expecting that, it's a nice addition.

border

I wasn't sure if the change to Debuffs was a part of CTBuff_Mod or something added to the core of the game.

As an Affliction Warlock, it's certainly a godsend.....especially when grouped with other locks and you aren't sure whose dots are up. Yeah, I probably should have found a mod to do it for me, but this way is pretty nice too....

unifin

holy shit - i saw TWO netherdrake mounts in shatt today. ONE DAY after 2.1.

WHAT
THE

I thought some of the quests were daily??

Nikashi said:
New patches ALWAYS disable all addons. The next time you play, just click the 'Addons' button, then use the checkbox for 'load out of date addons'. That should let you load and use any addons you already have set up.

Cuz, you know, logging into a barren default UI isn't a confusing a shock as a familiar, customized UI with a few bugs. Checkboxes are NOT playthings, Blizz.

edit: I gotta say, this new little debuff cooldown they added by default to the game is awesome. It isn't as precise as dot timer addons, but it's nearly as good.

I hate it. Too dark as it ends. Trying to figure out if I can shut the damn thing off in interface (see above).

speedpop

unifin said:

WHAT
THE

:lol Never underestimate the power of unemployed sloths behind a PC.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Goddammit, the stupid European site keeps screwing up when trying to access the account management.
Is it not enough that we pay for your shitty game? Is it not enough that people playing in the EU have to pay like 30 ****ing percent more?
And now I'm trying to ****ing pay you and you wont ****ing let me, what the ****?
Don't you want our euros Blizzard?!

unifin said:

WHAT
THE

Yeah it's a bug. I got bugged and was in shatt with a netherdrake on day 1. Everyone kept asking me how I got it so I would just make up a random lie each time. Good times.

unifin

Azwethinkweiz said:
Yeah it's a bug. I got bugged and was in shatt with a netherdrake on day 1. Everyone kept asking me how I got it so I would just make up a random lie each time. Good times.

A bug? How so? Awesome bug, nonetheless.

Dumb question maybe, but I'm approaching 60 on my pally. I think I want to tank my way to 70 from 60ish. Or maybe heal. What's a good tanking/healing hybrid build with the focus on tanking. I want to be able to solo but am sick of ret/want to be used in instances.

If there is no way to have a good, functional tanking and lite healing build (I mean being MT through to 70 in instances my level, I realise if I wanted to tank heroics I'd have to go prot +++) then what's a good tanking/soloing build?

firex

IMO, while you can do a decent tanking/off heal build, it really does require being around 70. Tanking with a prot pally requires 41 points minimum, so don't expect a good tanking/healing build at 60. Even at 70 the most you'd want to put in is 20 into holy.

I mean, you just can't really halfass talent trees with a pally like you can with a warrior (since their 41 pointers suck) because pretty much all the definitive talents for each spec come at 25+ points in, aside from illumination (which is less definitive now than it used to be).

Now if you want a prot build that can still solo... you're still going to need seal of command, but you could go with a reckoning/seal of command build. Right now I'm 20/0/41. Believe me, you may be bored of ret, but soloing as holy is garbage. If you're going to keep soloing and you want to mix it up, get to 61 and then just go 0/41/11. You'll be able to tank and still do decent solo dps, though your soloing style won't change any (still a 2h and seal of command).

edit: just to clarify, in all honesty blizzard's pally design means they can't seriously tank outland instances unless they're 41+ into prot. It's just too hard to get enough threat and mitigation otherwise, although I'm sure improved righteous fury would help a lot. It's not quite like warriors where they still have the core of their threat building skills regardless of talent spec, and mostly get mitigation/rage reduction out of prot. And tanking requires a way different weapon type than soloing/healing. Pally tanking is all about spell damage, so you've gotta get yourself a caster sword/mace to increase your threat output, and then otherwise you just go with the same kind of armor as a warrior.

At the very least, to tank you need holy shield and blessing of sanctuary. With those you build the core of pally tanking, which is blocking and dealing holy damage (which in turn causes more threat). But I would hate to solo without seal of command, personally. I tried it for a month or so with holy, and all I really wound up doing was grinding a few super easy quests, then waiting until groups needed a healer and I went along. I know my experience is not the same as prot, where you at least get reckoning, but blizzard has stratified the pally in such a weird (and IMO dumb) way that it's impossible to be good at two things, but you can be great at one and average at another.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Meier said:
As someone who was away for awhile and only using add-ons for one patch since coming back.. is there any way to update them all or do I have to redownload new/fixed versions individually for each one?
Do yourself a favor

Get UI Central from http://ui.worldofwar.net/

It keeps all my addons up to date automaticlaly.

If I had to do the grind to 70 on my paladin again I'd probably spec 41 ret and find a good feral druid to quest with. You can put 13 into holy at level 63 which will probably allow you to heal just fine in most instances as long as you collect gear for it.

unifin said:
A bug? How so? Awesome bug, nonetheless.

The questline to get your netherdrake in shadowmoon costumes you up as a fel orc with a netherdrake. Sometimes when you leave the area you change back to your normal self but the netherdrake doesn't change back into your normal mount.

border

ManaByte said:
They virus scan EVERYTHING and don't slip keyloggers into their uploads unlike some other sites (coughcursegamingcough)
You're always pimping this site, yet when I go there and search for one of the most essential mods of the game ("KTM" or "KLH"), their search engine can't even find it.....Curse seems to have the same weird problem too...

firex

try searching "threat meter" instead. For whatever reason, searching threat meter or something like that will find it on curse/other UI sites, but not KLH or KTM.

I'm still hoping for a new up to date version of decursive 2.0 (it's not the same as the old decursive, but it's still a way easier way of dispelling debuffs) and titan panel sometime soon. I haven't searched in a couple days though, so maybe an updated version is out.

Mallika

border said:
You're always pimping this site, yet when I go there and search for one of the most essential mods of the game ("KTM" or "KLH"), their search engine can't even find it.....Curse seems to have the same weird problem too...
KLHThreatMeter is not available from ui.worldofwar.net (which is why you won't find it there). It's only available from Curse Gaming, according to the mod creator.** Also, the mod's name doesn't have spaces in it so if you're going to search for it on Curse Gaming, you have to type: klhthreatmeter. The stupid thing about the website searching is that they don't recognize partial hits -- it's all or nothing, which is why 'klh' or 'threatmeter' or 'threat meter' doesn't work.

** I can't find the quote anymore, but I do remember the guy saying this at one point.

Edited to add: My favorite mod site is ui.worldofwar.net so I share in Mr Pockets and ManaByte's love for the site.

MaRcMa

ManaByte said:
Yes, use this site. They virus scan EVERYTHING and don't slip keyloggers into their uploads unlike some other sites (coughcursegamingcough)

Is this true? I've been downloading all my mods from there....:(

border

MaRcMa said:
Is this true? I've been downloading all my mods from there....:(
I don't think Curse puts keyloggers into mods. The people that upload the mods might, though.

And while yeah you can scan for keyloggers, those scans will only find known trojans. A new one may or may not be found.

Hey I want to maximise how much gold I hit 70 with... part of this is trying to get to 70 on as few zones as possible. Is there some kind of strategy with this or is it just basically pick up everything you can, Rested XP + instance runs +++?

firex

What I did was take a couple weeks off from the game at 68, and came back fully rested. Then I just ran instances... I managed to finish up old hillsbrad, sethekk halls (2x) and shadow labs without doing a single quest, and I was like 30k away from 70 so I just grinded the last bit on some mobs in shadowmoon since they were about 1200xp per kill. I completely left Blade's Edge Mountains, Netherstorm, and Shadowmoon Valley untouched, and now at 70 I've still gotta finish up Netherstorm, but I'm at 3500g. I'd say 3000 of that is from quests because I don't get lots of green drops for the AH, so I just sell my netherweave.

edit: I still have to do a lot of Shadowmoon too. I've only done a few of the tougher 5 man quests, like the spectracles stuff, netherdrakes (up to neutral) and the path of conquest stuff.

I hear some crazy stuff though, people getting to level 70 only going through the first 2 zones... I want to hit 70 asap so gold is plentiful, but I don't want to make the game shit boring, engage is shitty grinding for multiple levels or run an instance dozens of times only for XP

firex

Well, I cleared about as much out of hellfire, zangarmarsh, terokkar, and nagrand as I could. I think I left some stuff unfinished in terokkar, but otherwise I soloed everything in hellfire and zangarmarsh, and did nearly all the nagrand quests. I just left Blade's Edge, Netherstorm, and Shadowmoon untouched. Netherstorm and Shadowmoon especially are really made for 70s anyway - tons of quests where a flying mount makes things way easier (or it's required) and most of the quests are 69-70 anyway.

I did run a lot of instances, but I never ran any instance more than twice. I wish I could say the same at 70, but from 60-70 I didn't really farm instances or run them over and over again. I did do ramparts and blood furnace, slave pens and underbog once, and mana tombs a couple times, but that's the extent of instancing I did.

firex

So, I just did a bit of the new Ogri'la quests. They're pretty fun. The 5 man stuff isn't really 5 man - every single part of the series before you get sent to the Ogri'la chieftain again is actually a ground drop that spawns when the sons of Gruul are killed. You can zerg these, even cross-faction, so you may see horde and alliance cooperating on these quests. After that, you actually get some quests to go through Ogri'la, and I can only suggest you farm up about 20 of the crystal shards that drop off any mobs. There's a quest to turn in 5 shards, and then a quest that requires 10 after that (separate quests, and it introduces you to the gruul's lair/blade's edge plateau-only flasks) and this really fun quest you get where, I'm not making this up, you play Simon with some crystal perches. It's fun if only because it's way different, and when you complete the quest you even get a 15% speed buff that lasts for an hour, but only works in the plateau area. It's relatively challenging the further you get into it, and you can die if you screw up enough, but you don't lose durability if you do die.

Overall, I think it's something that could be pretty fun. Maybe not worth getting exalted with Ogri'la for, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

Mallika

teacupcopter said:
I hear some crazy stuff though, people getting to level 70 only going through the first 2 zones... I want to hit 70 asap so gold is plentiful, but I don't want to make the game shit boring, engage is shitty grinding for multiple levels or run an instance dozens of times only for XP
I went to Outlands at level 59 (about halfway to 60) because I was waiting for my husband, who plays a priest. Anyway, I dinged 70 two nights ago, and I still have Nagrand, Blade's Edge, Netherstorm, and Shadowmoon Valley to do. I did all the quests in Hellfire, Zangarmarsh, and about 85% of the quests in Terokkar, and ran Ramparts, Blood Furnace, Slave Pens, Underbog, Mana Tombs, and Crypts a few times each (nothing majorly crazy, though, just went when I felt like it). I also did Old Hillsbrad (Escape from Durnholde) once -- and grinded dampscale basilisks when I was in the mood, as I play a mage and the cooked basilisk meat gives a little +23 boost to spell damage. (I even got about 4-5 blue drops from them, including the Blade of Unquenched Thirst and the Axe of the Legion, which made me love those basilisks even more.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom