• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played in a few weeks but I'm really bored and my account still has like 2 weeks left on it. Maybe I'll log on tonight and check out some of those new quest lines.

Mzo

border said:
Does the "bug" accidentally give you 300 riding? If so, best bug ever...
It's like the bug that gave you control over a flight path gryphon sometimes, except this one happens when you're riding a netherdrake for a quest.

firex

whew. I think I'm getting close to done with Netherstorm (outside of some of the new consortium quests) and I'm sitting at about 4360g. Still have tons of shadowmoon to go!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ToyMachine228 said:
That seals the deal. Logged on and it did that shit and shut the power off to my tower. Never playing WoW again.

:lol

I got a few bugs since the last patch.

1- Whenever i'm on a FP and I minimize WoW to desktop the game crashes.
2- Mobs are floating around, walking through hills and sometimes under the ground so you can't see where the **** they are.
3- Sometimes while walking my toon will hit an invisible wall and stop in place. It sucks when it happens in pvp. Even when I have autowalk this shit happens.

Hero

If you guys are getting Error 132's from alt+tabbing and stuff, I would suggest doing this. From the WoW technical forums:

Some systems will crash when you are alt+tabbing back in the game. You will crash to an Error 132 with the module d3d9.dll shown. If this is the case, try this first:

Go to your World of Warcraft folder and open the WTF folder. Open the config.wtf file in Wordpad, then look for this line:

SET baseMip "1"

If that exists, change it to a "0". If that doesn't exist, copy and paste this line to the bottom of the file:

SET baseMip "0"

Save the file and try the game.

A fix for this issue is being worked on. Thanks for all of the emails.

This fixed it for me, haven't had a crash since.

fallout

So, I started doing the Netherwing quests last night. I mean, I've got an epic flying mount, so I thought I'd see what it was all about. Well, after about 3 hours of killing mobs and digging up ore and not actually finishing all of the daily quests, I've decided to say: **** it. I'm not entirely sure what Blizzard is aiming with these quests, but I don't have that kind of time just to work my way towards another mount, of all things.

I know people are going to say: "But you grinded for your epic flying mount!". No. No I did not. I ran around and quested for it, enjoying myself with little bursts of PvP. I played the AH on a regular basis. I had fun.

firex

I could see myself very slowly doing daily quests for the netherwings. But there's no way I'd get it any faster than a couple months, and that's assuming I did my daily limit of quests from them.

But I still don't even have my epic flyer. 600 more gold to go!

fallout

See, for some reason, I was thinking the same thing. I thought that they would be short quests, fairly easy to do. Bang them out in a little bit, kill some Alliance, move on to something else. However, like I said, after about 3 hours of questing, I was done 2 daily quests out of like, 4.

I'd actually prefer it if they made the quests easier and more interesting, with less rep reward. Or at least, make some of the quests with that option.

border

FARMER'S TIP:

Farming Primal Air out in Shadowmoon is pretty awesome now. There are so many people in the zone because of the Netherwing quests, and the server jacks up the respawn rates to compensate. I was out there yesterday and some mobs were respawning as soon as I killed them. Air is the most valuable Primal, so I would suggest stocking up and selling the ones you don't need to buy the other primals you do need.

On the downside, all elementals are now dropping "Essence of Air/Water/Fire/Earth"....these things are near-worthless (to think we would have been millionaires a year ago with all of them). As a result, motes seem to drop a little less frequently.

fallout said:
I played the AH on a regular basis.
People always say this like it's so simple and easy. How exactly do you play the Auction House (in a way that's not dangerously speculative)? Even in just my normal auctions from random drops, it seems like I get burned or undercut pretty frequently.

For any given item, it seems like there is a generally accepted price. It also seems like the market won't tolerate more than a temporary +/- 10% change from that generally accepted price. If sellers get greedy, their auctions expire and everything gets remarked back towards that "generally accepted price". I've seen sellers try to corner the market on a particular commodity and get hammered pretty hard.

The only radical price changes seem to come when there's a new popular quest that requires a previously unused item. While these can be predicted, it's a pretty rare occurence.

fallout

border said:
People always say this like it's so simple and easy. How exactly do you play the Auction House (in a way that's not dangerously speculative)?
:lol I don't think I've ever said it was simple or easy. Granted, I'm not most people.

Anyway, it's a good way to make gold, but it requires a lot of time and work. I saved up a bunch of gold months before TBC, then, I bought as much of the netherweave as I could on the AH one day and then I resold it all. IIRC, it was going for 8-10g and I was selling it at about 15g or something like that. This is on top of all the netherweave I already had. What was the trick? Knowing that people will do ****ing anything to be the first to get something, but never properly prepare for it. If the demand isn't there, nobody's going to buy your stuff. Also, if the items are easily attainable, nobody's going to buy them either.

One of the things that I've also noticed is that blues/greens are horribly unreliable. That said, if you know a patch is coming with some sort of resist on it ... stock up on some BoEs. You wouldn't think that people would pay an insane amount, but when your guild is saying: "You need x nature resist by tonight!", people will pay for it. Honestly, I'm amazed at people not knowing shit about upcoming patches. I remember the Tier 0.5 stuff ... good lord, I bought my bracers for 10g before the patch. I had another pair drop for me a few days later, so I held onto them for a bit and resold them for 50g the day of the patch (which looked like a huge undercut from the people selling them for > 100g). When the AQ gates opened, I sold a few stack of tin for 40g a stack. Tin.

Still, this stuff is rare and is basically just a nice bonus to having a game world full of desparate people. Overall, it's more than just the AH and their prices. You have to know what items are in demand based on professions and whatnot, if you really want to be successful.

Alex

border said:
FARMER'S TIP:

Farming Primal Air out in Shadowmoon is pretty awesome now. There are so many people in the zone because of the Netherwing quests, and the server jacks up the respawn rates to compensate. I was out there yesterday and some mobs were respawning as soon as I killed them. Air is the most valuable Primal, so I would suggest stocking up and selling the ones you don't need to buy the other primals you do need.

On the downside, all elementals are now dropping "Essence of Air/Water/Fire/Earth"....these things are near-worthless (to think we would have been millionaires a year ago with all of them). As a result, motes seem to drop a little less frequently.

People always say this like it's so simple and easy. How exactly do you play the Auction House (in a way that's not dangerously speculative)? Even in just my normal auctions from random drops, it seems like I get burned or undercut pretty frequently.

For any given item, it seems like there is a generally accepted price. It also seems like the market won't tolerate more than a temporary +/- 10% change from that generally accepted price. If sellers get greedy, their auctions expire and everything gets remarked back towards that "generally accepted price". I've seen sellers try to corner the market on a particular commodity and get hammered pretty hard.

The only radical price changes seem to come when there's a new popular quest that requires a previously unused item. While these can be predicted, it's a pretty rare occurence.

There's two really good spots in Shadowmoon. But I find the best to be the area abvoe the temple to the North. I healed a friends Warrior alt while he gathered them to make a Thunder.

border

Yeah, it just seems like we're at a point where nothing's going to rise significantly in value. I've watched the Netherweave market closely since I'm a tailor, and near as I can tell it's impossible to get it cornered now. I've seen a dude buy out everything and mark stacks up to 8-9g.....but then an hour later he's being undercut by 5-10 other sellers.

Are there any known resistance fights in the major raid instances (BT, TK, or SSC)? I thought that Blizzard was moving away from that sort of thing, by and large.....

border

Alex said:
But I find the best to be the area abvoe the temple to the North.
You mean north of the Black Temple? I've mostly been in the Netherwing area and around the Altar of Shadows in the south.....but it'd be nice to have another good spot.

fallout

border said:
Yeah, it just seems like we're at a point where nothing's going to rise significantly in value.
Well, yeah, you kind of have to predict the rise and to do that, you need new content. I haven't been playing much, but I bet that the items required for the new engineering items were in greater demand on tuesday. I dunno, I'm no expert on this, I'm just an opportunist who didn't feel like farming.

I've watched the Netherweave market closely since I'm a tailor, and near as I can tell it's impossible to get it cornered now.
Yar, that was just an example. There's no way netherweave is taking a spike without some serious content patch that requires it.

Are there any known resistance fights in the major raid instances (BT, TK, or SSC)? I thought that Blizzard was moving away from that sort of thing, by and large.....
Heh, they also said that fear wasn't going to be a predominant mechanic in raid fights anymore. So hey, who knows.

firex

The PTR is a great way to "predict" the market if they have any tradeskill (or other quest) requirements... but I don't really play the AH. I just sell my greens and netherweave, and rely on quests for gold. I'm about to run out though, I think.

border

I'm maybe 2000g away from my epic mount still. I'm kind of torn right now -- my main character has only crafting skills and wouldn't really benefit much from an epic mount. My alt has herbalism, and I'd be able to rack up a ton of money just flying around and picking up herbs at 280% speed.....but damn, I'd really like for my main to have the epic first. I can't stand how slow the regular flying mount feels.

I'm thinking of dropping blacksmithing on the alt and taking up mining.....that way there'd be double-benefits from letting my alt have the epic mount. How much of an ass-whipping is it to to go from 0 to 375 on mining, if you already have epic mounts and the like?

John_B

I think daily quests might be the best thing to come out of the patch. I don't bother grinding primals with my rogue (dagger), I don't "play" the auction house like a stock broker, and farming herbs is neither fun or rewarding since every second or third person on the entire realm does the same.

I made a ton of money grinding quests before there was no simple quests left to do. I enjoy grinding quests solo. I don't care that much about the new factions, sure, new mounts ahoy, but now I can go out and do 6-8 quests and make a 100-150 gold every day if I wish to do so.

Also that Ogri'la quest with the color memorization is all kinds of awesome.

By the way, before I stop posting, they fixed the Consortium salary, so from Gezhe at Aeris Landing in Nagrand, you can claim a free bag of gems every month, the better standing, the better bag. I'm revered and got 3-4 green and 1 blue gem.

firex

everybody goes to aeris landing now for their monthly bag of gems. They couldn't get it to work right with mail, so now you just go talk to the guy John B said to talk to.

So you get gold every single time for the daily quests? I didn't know that... that's pretty awesome really.

Mallika

border said:

Doesn't seem to be the actual case, although I know I thought it was like that too in the beginning. From here, Drysc says:

"Also, once again, the Essence drops do not replace or otherwise change the chance for motes to drop. They're an additional drop, not a chance to replace a mote."

Zalasta

If you think essences were kind of worthless before, well, they are even more so after patch. In the past at least the twinks and new characters still use Fire and Air for the Firey and +15 AGI enchants, so even though the market for them has been reduced, they are still a nice side bonus. Now, however, since they are farmable from BC elementals, the price has gone to the gutters. Ironically, transmute water to undeath, which was the most useless recipe months before, is probably the best now since Essence of Undeath is the only one that is still in use which cannot be farmed from BC mobs.

Also, with the new rep grinds, the market is flooded with Netherweave Cloths and Arcane Dusts (d/e from the numerous greens that drops). So much so that I stop selling them for income, I just try to get imbued netherweave bags made to boost my inventory/bank slots.

border said:
I'm maybe 2000g away from my epic mount still. I'm kind of torn right now -- my main character has only crafting skills and wouldn't really benefit much from an epic mount. My alt has herbalism, and I'd be able to rack up a ton of money just flying around and picking up herbs at 280% speed.....but damn, I'd really like for my main to have the epic first. I can't stand how slow the regular flying mount feels.

I was in this situation as well, but, I thought since I'm on my main more often than on alt (even if I gather on her), so I bought the epic training for the one I use more. I'm actually very happy that I made the decision, I can't imagine going back to the regular speed. I actually have the money to train my alt (in fact, I've had it for a while), with 3K leftover if I do, but I'm still debating on whether if it's necessary, even though I really have nothing else to spend it on.

My Karazhan team finally downed Aran (it wasn't pretty, it was a double KO), then we proceeded to kill Prince right after (we tried 2 healers at first for that fight, but obviously that wasn't enough so after a couple more attempts, we brought in another priest). It's ridiculous how easy the encounter was after the nightmare that is Aran.

I transfered back to my old server/guild when my guild failed to run Karazhan 2 nights last week because of lack of people/interest (despite fully clearing it for the first time the week before). It was pretty obvious it was going to be a *long* time before we hit 25 man content and I was getting tired of the game or at least what I could play of it.

So, back to Kael'Thas. We worked on Magtheridon Thursday night and killed him for the first time last night. And I ran heroics all weekend (think I ran 8, ugh) to finish the trials of the Naaru and help other people finish them so I'm now attuned to Tempest Keep. The first pull in there looks like it's going to suck big time, 6 mobs in a very small space and they were immune to frost trap (but not fear, I guess?).

So now that I have more time I'm back to WoW. Me and Etiole switched guilds to one which was an offshoot of our previous one. It's cool because I know many people already.

Anyway tonight I did Maraudan for the first time. Wow, that place kicked my ass. I'm lv44, but luckily the group consisted of pretty high levels including a lv66 and 54. I died around 4 times.

But most importantly I found this:
http://thottbot.com/i2100

So after we finished the instance I decided to put in on the AH for 10g. Once I advertised it on the trade channel someone told me he'd buy it for 12g. At that point I started wondering if I could get more, so I asked the guild. They said the gun was listed at up to 150g, but since our server has a weak economy I couldn't sell it for that much. They suggested 70g, so I put it back on the AH for that amount. Less than 5 minutes later it sold. HOLY SHIT I could have ****ing made the biggest dumbass decision of the month:lol

So now I have 166g

Mallika

Heh, PhoenixDark, that reminds me of myself a few months ago when I started playing. I got a drop from a rare mob and put it up on the AH for about 2 gold. I don't remember what the drop was, but I do remember thinking that the stats/stuff on it really sucked and that no one would ever buy it for that price. Twenty seconds later, it sold -- and was right back up on the AH for 25 gold. Annoyed and a bit miffed at this, I decided to check up the item on Allakhazam to see the comments people made about it, to see exactly what the hell I was missing.

Well, that's when I noticed that Allakhazam had average AH prices listed for each item, and also when I realized that people would list the item for up to 30 gold on average. What an eye-opener for me. After that I always made sure to check up the prices of blues before putting it up on the AH, even if I personally thought nobody would ever buy that particular item due to its sucky stats.

But really, sometimes I think people only look at the color of the item name or something while buying/selling, because damn, I remember seeing a blue version of the green dagger my mage used to wield -- the blue had maybe +5 more spell damage, but cost more than ten times what I paid for my green.

Ashodin

Son of Godzilla said:
Urge to renew... growing... GAF, help me stay the course! The game is crap, right?
If you've got a backlog of video games, play them. This will suck you in.

The rewards are great, though:

ramos3piece.jpg

firex

Son of Godzilla said:
Urge to renew... growing... GAF, help me stay the course! The game is crap, right?
Nothing's really improved, except they've made raiding ez epics as much as arenas are, apparently.

rod

Banned
is there any reason "day after maintenence" ive always got ridiculously bad latency? its like up in the ten thousands when its usually 100

border

Thanks to the high-end craftable epic items and the PVP gear, I put enough good gear together to be considered for membership in one of the server's top Horde guilds (I've never been in a big all-endgame guild before really). I gotta say, it feels good to log-in and see the guild roster filled up with 70's.....with at least 8 people on for almost every class. My previous endgame (pre-BC) experiences were pretty frustrating due to warrior overpopulation that kept me from getting into any notable guilds. I've been more lucky as a lock I guess.

It's also nice not to have to deal with a guild that is 50% crybaby lowbies that think I should run them through Scarlet Monastery or Wailing Caverns just because we're in the same guild. News flash, douchebag: other than a very loose guild affiliation, you are a stranger to me and requests for runs will be given about as much consideration as requests from strangers in Org.

Which brings me to another rant-point -- is there now some kind of mod that lets people mass-spam whisper to beg for instance runs and gold? I can't walk to the Org auction house now without getting at least a few tells -- "Can I have 2 gold for respec?" "Will you run through SM 3g?"

Well I've been WoW Free nearly a month now.

But anyway, lots of times people talk about the dances of each race and how they're taken from irl stuff. I knew the draenei was tunak tunak tun and the blood elf was napoleon.

But http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1760988/ is probably the best vid I've seen demonstrating them all. Some I didn't know. eg Orge lol. (Christ :( )

Ramirez

I've been thinking of renewing once the Halo 3 beta is over, but I dunno, all of my friends have quit, Duskwood was a pretty bad server. I'd actually love to start a BE rogue on a new server, but it doesn't look like they're gonna open any new ones anytime soon.

firex

well, with a loan from one of my friends I got my epic flyer! Now I just have to run instances until I'm revered with a bunch of people (beyond just cenarion expedition).

border

Killed Magtheridon last night -- pretty much my only experience running in large raids, outside of some really crappy ZG runs with my warrior. It was pretty fun, and seeing everyone work in sync is cool.

The fight seemed pretty easy, and I was surprised to learn that only 3-4 guilds on the entire server have completed it (compared to 5-10 guilds that are Gruul-capable). I haven't tried Gruul yet, but just reading the description it sounds more difficult than Mag.....

John_B

I got Dragonspine Trophy from Gruul today. I really hope they don't nerf this trinket, because it beats the crap out of every other trinket you can get to boost melee dps.

6c8n1w1.jpg

This is in heroic when trophy, hourglass, and mongoose procs while having bloodlust. I was afraid that my daggers would start smoking.

Anyways Bloodlust Brooch can go f*** itself now.

If you have the DPS to down the channeler's quick enough and a competent clicking team it's not a hard fight. The itemization changes in 2.1 increased raid dps and a couple changes made less healing required so phase 1 became much easier, then it was just the wait for the clicktards (as I've seen them called) to quit screwing up.

edit: Farmed content almost always looks easy.

Shoho

Banned
I used to play but I dont get it... why play WoW?

Why waste years on building the ultimate character if the server eventually will be closed down and everyone will move to a different game or WoW2?

I guess I could make the same analogy about life. Why even live if we are all eventually going to die anyway? whats the freaking point?:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom