• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korranator

Bregor said:
Yeah, the Paladin can never truly get a decent DPS rating, no matter how you spec it. I'm building a protection specced Paladin myself, and I am pretty happy with it thus far. The real strength of the Paladin is the ability to survive a long time, after all.
Excatly. The Paladin's goal is to be the last one standing.

Monk

Banned
Bregor said:
Yeah, the Paladin can never truly get a decent DPS rating, no matter how you spec it. I'm building a protection specced Paladin myself, and I am pretty happy with it thus far. The real strength of the Paladin is the ability to survive a long time, after all.

Depends on what you mean by deccent. I am 123.7 dps at the moment with crusader and bom.

Bregor

Monk said:
Depends on what you mean by deccent. I am 123.7 dps at the moment with crusader and bom.

As in not comporable to the DPS achievable by other classes. My dps is over 100 also with crusader and bom (not sure of the exact number), and that's with a 1H weapon. But rogues and warriors or the same or even slightly lower level kill things a lot faster than me.

Meier

Bregor said:
As in not comporable to the DPS achievable by other classes. My dps is over 100 also with crusader and bom (not sure of the exact number), and that's with a 1H weapon. But rogues and warriors or the same or even slightly lower level kill things a lot faster than me.

Warrior DPS almost never gets past 100 let alone up to 125 unless using a massive hitting 2hander and getting lucky and not missing much. Even then, a paladin still does considerably more damage due to the haste spell since its more pronounced when using a 2hander.

Single wielding, I do about 60 tops using weapons with over 35 in their DPS rating (I have a Firebreather, Thrash Blade and Fist of Stone I use interchangeably) and a power value of 700. Dual wielding I usually do 80ish but with some luck can squeak out a 100 but that's only in Battle mode which a warrior is never in when grouping any way. Oh and this also includes an additional 6% damage done with 1h weapons from specs (will be up to 10% once I hit 56). Yes, warrior DPS is really that bad.

Bregor

Meier said:
Warrior DPS almost never gets past 100 let alone up to 125 unless using a massive hitting 2hander and getting lucky and not missing much. Even then, a paladin still does considerably more damage due to the haste spell since its more pronounced when using a 2hander.

Single wielding, I do about 60 tops using weapons with over 35 in their DPS rating (I have a Firebreather, Thrash Blade and Fist of Stone I use interchangeably) and a power value of 700. Dual wielding I usually do 80ish but with some luck can squeak out a 100 but that's only in Battle mode which a warrior is never in when grouping any way.

I just checked my stats and I had it wrong: my max dps WITH crusader and bom is 75.9. Without my buffs it is a measly 43.1. This is at level 32. (Note: most of this is due to crusader: bom only raises it to 49).

Now, what is warrior damage at that level with buffs? (And truth be told, the disparity only increases from what I've heard.)

My level 23 Rogue. Initiative rocks, Ambush Rocks, Rupture is teh awesome. Get! All points in subtlety so far. Probably going to reduce cost of sinister strike tho. Ive managed to crank dexterity to 97 at level 23 which isnt bad at all. Criticals! Fun!

I also started a Warlock, but aggro mobs are making him not nearly as fun since he has to run away more :(

rogue236yd.jpg

MrAngryFace said:
My level 23 Rogue. Initiative rocks, Ambush Rocks, Rupture is teh awesome. Get! All points in subtlety so far. Probably going to reduce cost of sinister strike tho. Ive managed to crank dexterity to 97 at level 23 which isnt bad at all. Criticals! Fun!

I also started a Warlock, but aggro mobs are making him not nearly as fun since he has to run away more :(

rogue236yd.jpg

Wait until you get Vanish and Cheap shot, you're rogue is going to take on another level!

Oh and, I just dumped my 38 Gnome Mage for my Undead Warlock. Warlock is the BEST CLASS in the game. Crazy fun, damage, utility, just everything. It's a hard class to play right, but if you can, there's just a sick number of things you can do really. There'd be more screams of nerf warlock if they weren't the least played class in the game. :lol

Yeah im earning silver for Vanish right now. Had to buy some agility boosting armor and that drained me of fundz. Plus upgrading alchemy.

Rogues are scary good.

Meier

Monk said:
Shut up and quit using the protection path. USE THE FREAKING ARMS TREE. Talking to meier.

Uhh, why would I give up the ability for my attacks in defensive mode to create 15% more threat, to taunt 2 seconds faster (which is ridiculous and should be at least 4 seconds faster at max spec), and the ability to stun a mob for 5 seconds? Sorry, but that's just not a warrior is used in WoW unfortunately. You go protection or you arent doing your job.

The neat thing about WoW is that there are several ways to play a class.

There's like 4-6 ways to play a rogue, im sure that goes for other classes. ease up.

Meier

There arent for warriors. You have to be able to tank a mob at highest efficiency and you are ALWAYS in defensive stance when in a group because they've unfortunately limited taunt to only that stance. If they allowed you to do it in any mode like Everquest for instance, then there would be the chance for more variation but unfortunately they dont.

Another very important talent protection tree warriors get is 10% more armor than listed from items. Armor and HP are of course the most important things for a warrior.

MrAngryFace said:

There's like 4-6 ways to play a rogue, im sure that goes for other classes. ease up.

exaclty...yet it is kinda annoying to have higer level hunters ask me whats the deal with the snow (frost trap) and havng them think I really died when I feigned death.

Speakng of which...it would help on PvP servers if when you feigned death that your pet didn't still run around like an asshole.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Ferrio said:
Warriors tear my little assassination rogue body up.

Eh. Keep 'em stunned, and for the brief moments when they aren't stunned jump around them like a moron so they get in a few hits as possible. The only real problem I have with warriors is they can counter my dodges, and my dodge rate is freaking high. (Which is why I keep them stunned the whole fight!)

I honestly feel like my rogue is a god. I never lose fair-fights against any class, and very frequently take down players 5-8 levels higher than myself. :eek: My new priest is kicking all sorts of ass in pvp too. Maybe everyone on my server just sucks at pvp, since it's a PvE server. :)

Jupiter

Warriors seem to be the only class that my Mage can easily defeat. Unlike Paladins, Hunters and Rogues which I either have to Poly then run or fight and die.

Heres my mount and a few misc. screens.

mount.JPG

WoWScrnShot_010405_213934800.JPG

WoWScrnShot_010405_214259800.JPG

Jupiter said:
Warriors seem to be the only class that my Mage can easily defeat. Unlike Paladins, Hunters and Rogues which I either have to Poly then run or fight and die.

Heres my mount and a few misc. screens.

mount.JPG

WoWScrnShot_010405_213934800.JPG

WoWScrnShot_010405_214259800.JPG

*looks at pics*

o_O!

*runs to go level some more*

SyNapSe

MrAngryFace said:

It's so true! You can go a ton of different directions with Rogue and still be effective. Some would say the DoT rogue is gimping yourself, but then all the bosses/etc seem to be stun immune so they have a huge advantage there. A lot of other classes aren't that lucky.. some have talent tree's that just aren't worth it, or the top-tier talent stinks which hurts as those are supposed to be defining talents normally.

Meier said:
There arent for warriors. You have to be able to tank a mob at highest efficiency and you are ALWAYS in defensive stance when in a group because they've unfortunately limited taunt to only that stance. If they allowed you to do it in any mode like Everquest for instance, then there would be the chance for more variation but unfortunately they dont.

Another very important talent protection tree warriors get is 10% more armor than listed from items. Armor and HP are of course the most important things for a warrior.

There are variations for taunt, like Mocking Blow and Challenging Shout.

Meier said:
Challenging Shout with it's 10 minute cooldown and Mocking Blow with its 3? Yeah...

Oh nothing stop you from changing stances. With Tactical Mastery, you can keep up to 20 rage point when changing stance.

akascream

Banned
Mocking blow and challenging shout have long cooldown timers though.

But Taunt isn't why you should be in d stance. If you have to taunt it's because you've messed up (or are fighting something with wipe). Just being in d stance increases your threat generated, and defiance increases it up to 15% for your damage. Warriors use abilities to hold aggro since the patch before retail.

Plus you mitigate more just being in the stance and can use shield bock/revenge. Not an especially amazing amount of damage reduction when you are being hit for 270 AFTER a block in uldaman.. but I'll take anything I can get! :p

akascream

Banned
SOE is incapable of competing with this:

Over the weekend, a thread was posted on the Tichondrius realm forum warning Horde players of certain guilds and characters they should look out for while adventuring. This thread contained information on a Blizzard employee’s guild, and conjecture was made on which character that employee played. This thread was deleted, and all subsequent threads created on this topic were closed. Several other threads containing references to this guild were also deleted, and a few players were wrongly suspended or banned from the forums for participating in these threads. We would like to correct this mistake. If you feel you were wrongly banned or suspended from the forums, please email your character name and the name of the realm you play on to wowreportedpost@blizzard.com. Furthermore, please note that we are taking measures to ensure this does not happen again.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused and thank you for your understanding and patience.

In addition, as part of our normal name-review process, the aforementioned guild’s name was reviewed last week and was found to be in violation of World of Warcraft’s naming policy. The name violates the rule dealing with real-world references, and is subject to the same procedure as other guilds. Therefore, the guild will be disbanded and reimbursed for their tabard, and will have to re-form using a different name. Please note that these are two separate issues that have the unfortunate coincidence of requiring attention at the same time.

Zaptruder

Banned
MrCheez said:
I honestly feel like my rogue is a god. I never lose fair-fights against any class, and very frequently take down players 5-8 levels higher than myself.

Warriors and Rogues are the easiest classes for Hunters to duel.

Paladins are a bitch to duel, simply because theres a limit to how far you can kite them before having to run towards them.

In a straight up fight, rogues are trickier to deal with simply because we might not know they're there. if we do know they're there tho, we can set a trap and cast flares.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
:lol

Wait until you get to high level instances and you can't do anything at all without a warrior. You'll learn to appreciate them a little more.

Even if warriors (tanks rather) are necessary, doesn't stop them from been absolutely gimped to play. Their job is essentially to take hits like a prison bitch.

Zaptruder said:
Even if warriors (tanks rather) are necessary, doesn't stop them from been absolutely gimped to play. Their job is essentially to take hits like a prison bitch.

No, really? You sir, just blew my mind.

And how are they "gimped" if they're effective at what they're supposed to do??? TANK.

Malakhov

Banned
The only class I have problems against in PvP as a rogue is a Paladin and even there, if I time my stuns right, he's dead.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
No, really? You sir, just blew my mind.

And how are they "gimped" if they're effective at what they're supposed to do??? TANK.

They're gimped to play because you play 60 levels underpowered with crap solo abilities if you spec protection or you're obliged to pay a hefty sum to change talents... and once specced in protection, a warrior is weak as shit on a personal level and only really effective as anything (i.e. prison bitch) when there's a priest around.

Just like a gimp, they're good at taking hits and not doing much else it seems.

MrCheez

Zaptruder said:
Warriors and Rogues are the easiest classes for Hunters to duel.

The only time a Hunter will ever kill me is if he gets the jump on me from range, and all my timers are down. Even if the hunter is 10 levels above me, when I get into melee range he's done. Hunters melee like little girls. :) Sure, I fully agree that his range dmg is painful, and it hurts to have a pet chewing on you the whole fight. And the Hunter can snare and mark me, which drives me nuts. But even when this happens, so long as I can pop that vanish or sprint, I'm on him, and then he's toast. And again this is only when he jumps me - in most situations I'm the one jumping him. And if it's an actual duel, with the new duel countdown timer it's easy to start every duel stealthed and in melee range for an instant cheapshot. :D

Edit: Still though, I dont mean disrespect to hunters or any other classes - all classes are good... just not as good as my rogue ;D

Malakhov said:
The only class I have problems against in PvP as a rogue is a Paladin and even there, if I time my stuns right, he's dead.

Same :eek:

SyNapSe

MrCheez said:
The only time a Hunter will ever kill me is if he gets the jump on me from range, and all my timers are down. Even if the hunter is 10 levels above me, when I get into melee range he's done. Hunters melee like little girls. :) Sure, I fully agree that his range dmg is painful, and it hurts to have a pet chewing on you the whole fight. And the Hunter can snare and mark me, which drives me nuts. But even when this happens, so long as I can pop that vanish or sprint, I'm on him, and then he's toast. And again this is only when he jumps me - in most situations I'm the one jumping him. And if it's an actual duel, with the new duel countdown timer it's easy to start every duel stealthed and in melee range for an instant cheapshot. :D

Edit: Still though, I dont mean disrespect to hunters or any other classes - all classes are good... just not as good as my rogue ;D

You must be kidding. If anyone see's me before I'm ready to engage (i.e. I'm fighting something already), I'm screwed 70% of the time. Vanish, is near worthless against smart PvPer's, and without it we are fodder.

I did get a Hunter who seemed to be good but made the mistake of letting his DoT wear off on me and I vanished.. he then flared like crazy and hid in a bunch of Horde mobs for a long time. Finally, he started killing mobs for exp again and I ganked him when he was low. No idea why he let the DoT off me.. it was over.. he caught me fighting an ogre mob.

A good Shaman seems almost impossible for me to take out also. It seems stupid but Frost Shock is basically a win button against me.. I can't figure out anything to do once it's on me. They can keep it applied 100% of the time as a perma-snare.. not even including any of the binding/snaring totems. Even if I sprint I barely move anywhere.

MrCheez

When I mentioned using vanish in pvp I was referring to using it specifically to drop a snare or root off you (the example I used was a hunter fight). It's horribly bugged when it comes to getting away anyway (much easier to do in PvE than PvP), and isn't really an integral part of my PvP strategy most of the time.

What is your spec and what is your playstyle? To be honest, I tear up just about every other rogue I meet. Many are going to disagree with me, but if you're playing the right kind of Rogue (combat/assassination mace/sword rogue IMHO) and playing it correctly, you should be a monster in pvp.

Edit: I can't spell T_T

Monk

Banned
One of the rogues in my guild completely owned another rogue at the same level losing only 1/4 of his life. I think the same goes for pallies especially in parties.

MrCheez said:

How to kill a rogue: Get Jumped, hit Deterrence, wing clip, soon as a parry goes through hit Counterattack, pull pet off and run a few steps, feign death, the second you are out of combat freeze trap, shoot the rogue a bit till he comes over and hits the trap, run to max distance, drop another freeze trap, mark and aimed shot, repeat till rogue rips his hair out and runs or dies.

It's fun. Hunters can basically kite to victory against anything melee.

MrCheez

Maybe the reason I'm mopping the floor with every hunter I run into is they don't know how to play their class? I never even run into any that USE traps.

Not sure what Deterrence is. Does it break stun? Otherwise you're going to be stunned for the jump. And frequently after. And I've fought many hunters who feign death in the fight... the very first time it tricked me, but ever since then it just allows me to beat on an unconcious player. :) (The pet sticking around is a big hint that the hunter has Feign Deathed). You're also assuming you're going to get parries off for the move you describe (you don't want to stay in melee with me waiting for this to happen), and the fact that I'm going to run straight into your traps (which I can detect).

I'm sure you rock at your hunter though, and I wish we were on the same server so we could go at it. :)

Deterrence is a +25% dodge/parry for 10 seconds skill. Counterattack freezes in place for 5 seconds but can only be used after parrying.

The feign death is to get out of combat which you can't be in to plant a trap, nothin to do with actually tricking someone :p

MrCheez

What type of freeze is it? Root, sleep, or stun?

When you feign death do you get out of combat instantly, and also can you get out of feign death instantly? (The hunters I fight always stay in it and let me kill them for whatever reason).

Anyway, you have a good strategy, and I don't doubt that it works. But I think you must be fighting the same dumb rogues I'm fighting. :) If I get the jump on a hunter I can keep them locked in place long enough to kill them. And even when they get the jump on me it's not difficult to get in melee range with them (vanish, sprint, or just persistence) and once I am, as I mentioned, all hunters I've faced go down very quick.

Their ranged dmg is very impressive of course though, as is all of their utility. In group pvp hunters are a big threat to rogues IMO, not in 1 on 1.

Zaptruder

Banned
I was under the impression you couldn't vanish from hunter's mark.

To be fair, if I mess up against a rogue, they can kill me too easily.

But really, freeze trap counters the stealth right off the bat... even if it can be seen and disarmed, the hunter can stand on the spot with track hidden and use flare until they see the rogue... in which case they force the rogue to pop the trap and freeze himself, giving the hunter an extra 15 seconds to position themselves nicely.

After that, aimed shot, concussion shot, scorpid sting and pet will take them down a good amount, then raptor as they close in and take a few hit, wing clip and run away to finish them off.

Places the Hunter's Mark on the target, increasing the Ranged Attack Power of all attackers against that target by 20. In addition, the target of this ability can always be seen by the hunter whether it stealths or turns invisible. The target also appears on the mini-map. Lasts for 2 min.

Id probably just Sap you first, kill your pet real bad, then focus on you afterwards. Underestimate the power of Sap not! Plus I have a lot of ways to bleed the hell out of you.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm a Dwarven Priest spec'd in Holy on the Elune server. If anyone plays on that sever give me a tell and I'll be more than happy to help out.

wow8ak.jpg

I look silly not being color coordinated but damn are Dwarves badass. My next character is definitely being a Tauren of some sort. A Tauren with a cowboy hat and a blunderbuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom