• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
Mjunter said:
Bleeding Hollow eh? Ok I'll check it out. Rerolling a troll rogue named Mjunter. Anyone I should be looking out for?
My rogue's name is Morbide, Son of Godzilla's name is Kater.

jtv

Man, I never see any similiar level Dark Stars of Destiny on when I am. The only guys that are on are the 30+ lvl guys.

And why do we not have a tabard?

I'm Cannibalox btw.

Going to be switching over to Horde soon on Argent Dawn. I'm going to miss my gnome mage (38) badly, but it needs to be done. I visited wowcensus.com recently and was horrified at what I saw.

I really thought firex and co. were just exaggerating the whole 3:1 Alliance:Horde ratio... but sadly that is the case and even worse on some servers. I'm not going to relive Alb/Merlin in DAoC, so I'm making the switch now, before I get too attached to Blimey and hit level cap.

Curse Blizzard for allowing this to happen. Soon enough they'll have to add incentives for people to make Horde chars, and it'll be DAoC all over again. I simply don't understand why they just don't put a cap on the # of players on both a server and faction. Idiots.

It's going to be a disaster when battlegrounds come out, but at least i'll be on the side fighting the greater odds.

Sal Paradise Jr said:
Curse Blizzard for allowing this to happen. Soon enough they'll have to add incentives for people to make Horde chars, and it'll be DAoC all over again. I simply don't understand why they just don't put a cap on the # of players on both a server and faction. Idiots.

Putting a cap = Blizzard being called Fascists and Nazis and everything.

Battlegrounds are instanced areas. That solves the population problem completely, since you can cap the number of players from each side in an instanced area.

Of course, that won't save an underpopulated Horde side from having 30 alliance characters gank from the TM rooftops, but, hey, there will be fair PvP somewhere, at least.

They also get vastly superior towns in virtually every way - layout, defenses, location within zones. Only perhaps the undead towns come close to equalling all of the human/dwarf towns (aka 90% of alliance) in these aspects.

What a load of crap.

- Tarren Mill is better defended than Southshore is.
- Hammerfall is a FULLY WALLED encampment, while Refuge Point has no fortifications whatsoever.
- Alliance get no flight path into the Badlands, Horde get a fully walled encampment.
-Astranaar in Ashenvale is surrounded by water, which gaurds cannot run into to catch gankers.
- Horde get two flight paths into Stranglethorn Vale, one of which is in a fully-walled encampment up the coast-alliance get Booty Bay or the run from Westfall.
- Stonetalon Peak has a Horde settlement in the middle of the zone, Alliance settlement is in the most remote area of the zone with a very long corpse run near it.
- Desolace Horde Settlement is more central in the zone than Nijel's Point.
- Duskwallow Marsh - Horde encampment in center of zone, Theramore at the edge of it.
- Ferelas - Horde encampent more central to zone than either alliance point.

- Horde have twice the number of instances in friendly territories:

Horde: Ragefire, WC, RFD, RFK, SFK, SM.
Alliance: Deadmines, Gnomeregan, Stockades.

- Horde get their very own neutral town (Ratchet).

The only advantage alliance gets is the fact that they have *one* more constested zone that is, for all purposes, free of enemies. Horde only have one (1k Needles), alliance have two Redridge Mnts. ( which really shouldn't be constested) and Duskwood.

The above is all Blizzard can do to keep people playing Horde because their character models are so incredibly butt-ugly.

Fragamemnon said:
Battlegrounds are instanced areas. That solves the population problem completely, since you can cap the number of players from each side in an instanced area.

Of course, that won't save an underpopulated Horde side from having 30 alliance characters gank from the TM rooftops, but, hey, there will be fair PvP somewhere, at least.

Somehow, Mal'ganis, one of the most fucked servers in the beginning, ends up being one of the most balanced servers in the end. Yeah, Horde has a population advantage on the server, but that's only because of noob squad and their 8 million useless members. Was defending TM last night and the alliance had us outnumbered 2:1. Somehow though, we managed to push them back and actually put together a really good raid on Southshore. It went back and forth for hours, but it was really fun. It really made me wonder what kind of a slaughter it would've been like if the odds were even.

Fragamemnon said:
What a load of crap.

- Tarren Mill is better defended than Southshore is.
- Hammerfall is a FULLY WALLED encampment, while Refuge Point has no fortifications whatsoever.
- Alliance get no flight path into the Badlands, Horde get a fully walled encampment.
-Astranaar in Ashenvale is surrounded by water, which gaurds cannot run into to catch gankers.
- Horde get two flight paths into Stranglethorn Vale, one of which is in a fully-walled encampment up the coast-alliance get Booty Bay or the run from Westfall.
- Stonetalon Peak has a Horde settlement in the middle of the zone, Alliance settlement is in the most remote area of the zone with a very long corpse run near it.
- Desolace Horde Settlement is more central in the zone than Nijel's Point.
- Duskwallow Marsh - Horde encampment in center of zone, Theramore at the edge of it.
- Ferelas - Horde encampent more central to zone than either alliance point.

- Horde have twice the number of instances in friendly territories:

Horde: Ragefire, WC, RFD, RFK, SFK, SM.
Alliance: Deadmines, Gnomeregan, Stockades.

- Horde get their very own neutral town (Ratchet).

The only advantage alliance gets is the fact that they have *one* more constested zone that is, for all purposes, free of enemies. Horde only have one (1k Needles), alliance have two Redridge Mnts. ( which really shouldn't be constested) and Duskwood.

The above is all Blizzard can do to keep people playing Horde because their character models are so incredibly butt-ugly.

You lose.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Fragamemnon said:

Bah, my troll is a million times more attractive (and stylish) than uggo Night Elf males and all the creepy gnomes. o_O

Whisperwind, Uldum, Lightbringer, Earthen, and Alleria are all hilariously out of whack.

Oh, and just because:

Refuge Point is in a freakin valley. It's got one more entrance than Hammerfall.
Alliance can get into Burning Steppes in two seconds from goddamn Lakeshire.
Astranaar is in the middle of the fucking road.
The Blimp to GG has zero gaurds on it and can be camped to all hell.
RFK and RFD are closer to the night elf camp in Feralas than they are either XR or CM.

The rest of your points are stupid as hell. "More Central"? Duskwallow town is not in center of map.

You forgot about the wetlands as uncontested contested zones too.

akascream

Banned
Horde were designed last and ultimately rushed. There are more quests (spoonfed xp) for alliance, and tons of little details like flower venders. Not to mention your auction houses are far better because of the insane wannabe lotr factor that skews faction population on every server. Oh, and you guys get to play the game on easy mode if you want (noobadin).

Alex

I dont mind any of the races on either side, 'cept Taurens. People willingly play cows... Oh well, makes /moo all the more enjoyable.

I'd skip out on alliance simply to avoid all the mediocre DPS Paladin kiddies plaguing things, which wouldn't be as bad if Paladins were just a typical sized class of people entirely fucking their jobs, but it's like 50%+ of the alliance on my server.

My grudge, it runs deep. I actually saw a shield Paladin today though, with support equipment. Some kind of post-Christmas miracle to not spot one with their freebie AFK mallet.

hobart

Son of Godzilla said:
Considering that site only lists 5k of the 20k on BH, I'd say it might be skewed a bit.

Yeah... Wowrankings has been a bust for the most part. NO ONE is on this site... especially ENTIRE servers (I think there are only a handful of people listed from my server, Bonechewer). I really wouldn't go by wowrankings for the time being until they get more popular... IF they get more popular.

akascream

Banned
People willingly play cows

Hell yeah!! :p

clonk_02.jpg

That's one mean motherfuckin cow right there!.. don't be ticklin' or nothin'!

SNOWMAN.jpg

Fun in the arena.

DRUNKOG1.jpg

Og after spending about a gold on alcohol.

ORCINDRESS.jpg

ORC IN DRESS

ASTRAID.jpg

This is what happens when shadowclan thinks they can raid by zerging shit with 40 20-30s.

And the reason I broke out the pics:

DEADGM.jpg

South Shore's Gryphon Master, dead as a doorknob. There was five of us and no one died. There was a quite a force put together to kick us out (of course they waited for more gaurds to spawn before charging) but we murdered em all and killed the GM again soon as it spawned again. Fun.

Meier

Apple Jax said:
Yeah... Wowrankings has been a bust for the most part. NO ONE is on this site... especially ENTIRE servers (I think there are only a handful of people listed from my server, Bonechewer). I really wouldn't go by wowrankings for the time being until they get more popular... IF they get more popular.

The way the site works though, if one person is in a guild then the entire thing is listed -- you dont need individual profiles. Not to say I think we're necessarily the guild with the 3rd best average level in WoW, but it's still pretty impressive. :)

Wellington said:
I want to get the game but don't know where to go. What server is everyone in?

GAF doesn't really have a server. I have an alt on the "official" GAF server/team, and, at MOST, there's 5 people from GAF on. That's peak hours. Normally you'd get from zero to two.

The reason for this is that there's three types of servers, Normal, Roleplaying, and "get ganked by someone 40 levels higher than you while you're trying to do a simple quest in the barrens", and noone could really agree on which to pick.

My advice would just be to pick a server with friends that play this (if you're a gamer you
probably have gamer friends, and they probably have this :) and join up with them.

Darkspear/Horde if you don't have friends that have this, which is a PvP server.

hobart

Do a little bit a research. I'd honestly pick a PvP server over a PvE server... because I'd want to witness the game as it was meant to be played (although you could argue that the game was not meant to be played by getting constantly ganked... but whatever)...

Run over to WoWCensus.com and check for a low population server with few high levels around. I wouldn't worry too much about balancing... yet at least... but I think you will get the most bang for your buck if you do this. I got lucky... I just picked a low population server and it's been pretty ok since before Christmas... but it really depends on what you are looking for in the game.

Since WoWcensus has been fixed (kinda)... I would give it at least a slight glance... but I know MAF wants you on his server ;)

PVP is like the Hard mode (I think I read that here). You not only need to watch for your aggro with NPC, but also with other players around. You just can't expect to go into Booty Bay or something without being ganked once.

pilonv1

Apple Jax said:
Do a little bit a research. I'd honestly pick a PvP server over a PvE server... because I'd want to witness the game as it was meant to be played (although you could argue that the game was not meant to be played by getting constantly ganked... but whatever)...

Run over to WoWCensus.com and check for a low population server with few high levels around.

The other advantage with low pop servers is there are no queues or lag issues. The server I'm on (Spinebreaker) has been great so far.

Son of Godzilla said:
Why would anyone want to play on a low pop?

Until Blizzard acknowledges/fixes the bizarre lag when more that 30 people are local, its the only choice for me.

Plus my server (Shadow Moon) is almost 50/50 horde/alliance.

Zero lag plus fair fight numbers = bliss.

hobart

Speaking of lag:

Pacific and Mountain Servers are down (or at least acknowledged as being down) as of 1:35am PST...

...here we go again :)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I play on Shadowsong myself.

Level 38 Rogue and a few smaller characters,

This server has a lot of great people and I hardly ever see the whole "leet" thing happening. The trade market is great without prices being to high. The war with Horde/Alliance is back and forth.

Out of the 4 servers I have tried, this is by far my fav, and where I am staying.

Another good thing is we seem to always have a steady level of new players to work with, and there are tons of people willing to help them out.

Good times.

Shadowsong!!

Drinky Crow said:
I prefer low pop servers because grouping is for poofs. I want the best performance and the strongest solo experience.

Poor lonely old man. :(

Seriously, WoW is better when you're in group.

Not in my experience. Grouping with MAF and Tre is fun, but I could do without the rest of the retards. The last thing I wanna do is try to coordinate a battle with a bunch of squealing inarticulate teens.

Korranator

My grudge, it runs deep. I actually saw a shield Paladin today though, with support equipment. Some kind of post-Christmas miracle to not spot one with their freebie AFK mallet.
lmao

I'm one of those rare shield pallys. I do find it funny that most of the other pallys I run into are a 2h build, and you can already see the faults of their build even at my low lvl 29. Hint they can't tank worth shit, steal argo, and will get owned in the higher level areas. They obviously don't understand that pally are not dps builds. Paladin's are support characters or mean 1 man armys in a solo build.

Although, that lovely lvl 20 quest 2h hammer you are ripping on made me an cool shard when I disenchanted it. :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Drinky Crow said:
Not in my experience. Grouping with MAF and Tre is fun, but I could do without the rest of the retards. The last thing I wanna do is try to coordinate a battle with a bunch of squealing inarticulate teens.

Ah, you must be low level, because when you get to 55+ you're going to either be sad, or change your tune.

Kweh

Made a troll priest. I love that race for some reason :lol

Gearing up for the EU release, so will be going Rogue but still deciding between UD or Troll. I'm swaying towards Troll because every UD i see seems to be rogue

hobart

When I return... I'm officially going to make my move into the Holy tree of talents for Paladins... I just can't see why I decided on Retribution. I've looked at it over and over and over... and the clues and hints and signs are all their: the strengths of the Paladin simply are not in a damage dealing build... I'm just BETTER OFF in the Holy tree.

With work, persistence and patience... I can deal just as much damage in the Holy build (with all the healing and lives I give myself coupled with Holy Damage) AND I can serve as a better player to party members. I think I will keep some points in the Retribution tree (Seal of Crusader is still a FINE seal... as is Command)... but I just think not keeping points in Holy is a sore mistake on my part (even if I am centering on soloing at the moment).

Only problem is... my WoW playtime stops on Monday :)

Ah well.

Kweh

"European Final Beta Starts Now!
08/01/2005
We are proud to announce that the Final Beta Test of World of Warcraft is starting now. For full details please click here. We are looking forward to seeing you in-game very soon.
Blizzard Entertainment"

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/

/woohoo

Malakhov

Banned
Blizzard will soon allow server changes from big populated servers, so you peeps could all move to the same server. No way I'm moving out of Bleeding Hollow though, I've tried a lot of servers and there is none better.

Monk

Banned
Korranator said:
Because humans get racial bonuses on maces and swords, and the Dwarfs only get an Ax bonus.

Um dwarves have that ironskin skill, and i use axes with a pally. lvl 39 dwarf paladin here.

Bregor

Apple Jax said:
When I return... I'm officially going to make my move into the Holy tree of talents for Paladins... I just can't see why I decided on Retribution. I've looked at it over and over and over... and the clues and hints and signs are all their: the strengths of the Paladin simply are not in a damage dealing build... I'm just BETTER OFF in the Holy tree.

With work, persistence and patience... I can deal just as much damage in the Holy build (with all the healing and lives I give myself coupled with Holy Damage) AND I can serve as a better player to party members. I think I will keep some points in the Retribution tree (Seal of Crusader is still a FINE seal... as is Command)... but I just think not keeping points in Holy is a sore mistake on my part (even if I am centering on soloing at the moment).

Only problem is... my WoW playtime stops on Monday :)

Ah well.

Yeah, the Paladin can never truly get a decent DPS rating, no matter how you spec it. I'm building a protection specced Paladin myself, and I am pretty happy with it thus far. The real strength of the Paladin is the ability to survive a long time, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom