• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Hmm, so it looks like I might be dabbling into 25 man content, we let some pug priest come into our Kara last week and I guess we impressed him because he told his guild leader about us. We ran some heroics with the leader tonight and he tells us to be on at 8 for some SSC action.

I'd love to raid all the time like most people do, but my work schedule is complete balls, doubt I'll get to make all of them. :(

bengraven

Can I get some hints on leveling Rogues? Like specs and such? I'm 24 and killing quite fast, but want to make sure I'm playing right.

yacobod

Banned
bengraven said:
Can I get some hints on leveling Rogues? Like specs and such? I'm 24 and killing quite fast, but want to make sure I'm playing right.

combat is generally considered the best spec for lvling

VOMIT

Banned
I just got TBC last week and I have levelled my mage from 60 to 69. Before I quit at the BC launch raided for a year and a bit in terribly run guild with a mix of awful and amazing players.

bengraven

That sounds about right. And I remember someone saying earlier that it's better to go 2 1h swords with rogues instead of dagger/sword. Which means you can't do certain rogue abilities but faster leveling is worth it.

I just started a Druid and am about lvl 16 now. My main is a warrior but I felt I should give another class a shot.

Any tips I should use for leveling? I'm currently putting all my points in the feral tree.

Eteric Rice

Ding 70.

WTF I need 800 more gold to get my fucking flying mount?

SHITCOCKS.

I'm a Warlock and I didn't get my epic mount, so I still don't have that skill.

DOUBLE SHITCOCK. :(

Tamanon

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
How the hell did you get to level 70 with only 200g?

If you spend money on your epic mount and it's your first character, I can certainly see it being possible if you speed your way to 70. Oh never mind, never paid for any mounts.....yeah you need to avoid the Auction House or at least the buying portion of it. You're a warlock, you don't need gear!

Eteric Rice

Son of Godzilla said:
How the hell did you get to level 70 with only 200g?

I had like 1.3k, but I had to get the stupid journeyman skill first, now I need the next one which is 800g so I can use my flying mount.

Trying to sell this GD Blade of Wizardry. If I can sell that, I can get the stupid thing. :\

Eric WK

Tamanon said:
If you spend money on your epic mount and it's your first character, I can certainly see it being possible if you speed your way to 70. Oh never mind, never paid for any mounts.....yeah you need to avoid the Auction House or at least the buying portion of it. You're a warlock, you don't need gear!

No... there's no way. You have to be doing something seriously wrong to only have 200g upon dinging 70.

firex

I bought my epic mount on my shaman (got 60g given to me by a friend, but that was the only charity) and still have like 300g or something (maybe more?) at 67... granted, I won't get the full 900g for the riding + mount right at 70, but I'll probably be able to go grind up the last bit I need relatively fast.

Tamanon

Banned
bengraven said:
No comment.

Leveling Blacksmithing is a hell of a drug.

Oh, well then how do you still have 200g? I remember leveling blacksmithing on my pally to 350 before dropping it. I'm up to level 68 now, but back up to 500g, and that's WITH leveling Enchanting instead:)

I have no idea how the hell people don't have 1000g+ when they ding 70. I have 4 70s now and I never had a money problem on either one. I always buy my 40 mount and 60 mount as soon as I can. Once I ding 70 I normally have a good 1k saved up from questing in outland alone o.0

firex

I bought some stuff, plus I started from scratch (well, ok, I had 50g). and since I'm leveling engy as I level, I have nothing I can really sell in the AH from professions aside from ore on occasion.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
About 60% to lvl 70, but i've been kind of lazy, could've hit it the past weekend but i didnt bother, im glad that i sold a bunch of stuffs on AH though and climbed my purse to 1000+ in gold, so whenever i hit 70, im directly off to buy that mount.

Lvl 70 with outland armor, im gonna get eaten alive in BGs wont i? :(

firex

you're a hunter, so you should be better off than most people. You probably won't get a lot of kills but as long as you stay at max range you can at least contribute some damage. I'd honestly just focus on that and trying to escape since you'll be bait once people realize you're in greens and have low hp and stuff.

pro tip: don't get any professions besides mining and skinning until after you unlock the ogr'ila and netherwing daily quest hubs. I had 3,800g when I hit 70, got my lowbie flyer mount immediately, and then got my swift epic flyer one week later. After you get those two daily areas opened, you'll have enough of an alternate cash flow to do pretty much whatever you want, especially if you keep mining while you level a trade skill you really need for your character.

firex

I've done that a lot before. I'm just too lazy. plus I actually wanted to use some of the engy gear to help me out while leveling. I'm not really that concerned since I can make all the money I need off quests at 70, much less the dailies.

border

Tamanon said:
Oh, well then how do you still have 200g? I remember leveling blacksmithing on my pally to 350 before dropping it. I'm up to level 68 now, but back up to 500g, and that's WITH leveling Enchanting instead:)
The last 25 levels of Blacksmithing require you to make blue items that take several Primals. The last 25 levels of almost all the crafting professions are just pure murder.

Weenerz

Banned
Debating dropping Herbalism on my shaman to go blacksmithing for the 1h mace. Opinions? I have the sweet enhancement offhand from ZA already and if i decide to not do blacksmithing, I will probably save the 105 badges for the 2.4 fist MH, just not sure yet.

Lain

I am playing an ally shaman to pass some time and was wondering what's the best talent tree to follow for leveling purposes. I went with enhancement because I can't twink and it seemed the best (and the most likely to have alot of fun with) option, but now at level 23 I'm wondering if i did the right choice or if I should have gone elemental (resto tempted me for dungeon purposes, but then with no good gear it seemed kinda pointless, plus I'm gonna solo alot as my friends hate alliance and don't wanna make ally chars).
Also, getting the Ghost Wolf talent is a good use of points to get to 15 to unlock Flurry? I'm debating on it, as it could be useful in some BGs (and especially after 2.4 which will make it instant with the talent) which I'd do to get some free armor but I don't wanna throw points on something soso while leveling a char on a "tight budget".

XenoId

I have been leveling a warrior and i just hit 60 and done some quests in outland but I havent had the chance to tank yet and as its expected of a warrior,
any tips that could help?

I`m expecting to play the game "let`s steal aggro from tank" alot

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Eric WK said:
Why is GAF full of shaman? I swear the only classes people play as mains here are shaman, warrior, hunter.
Cause we're old school gamers, full of Shaman love. We were there when Shaman were a class to be feared in PVP!

Lain said:
I am playing an ally shaman to pass some time and was wondering what's the best talent tree to follow for leveling purposes.
Stick with Enhancement until you are finding your feet in the 60-70 range. But at the same time, make sure you collect +healing and +int gear in case you get asked to heal in an instance.

I switched and swapped with my original Tauren Shaman and know all the in's and out's behind leveling each spec (Restoration is a huge no-no, Elemental is viable but ultimately Enhancement allows for more movement, less downtime and more killing). Basically this is what I did with my Orc Shaman:

5 points Ancestral Knowledge
5 points Thundering Strikes
1 point Shamanistic Focus
4 points Anticipation
5 points Flurry
1 point Anticipation (to fill it up)
3 points Elemental Weapons
1 point Spirit Weapons (will help when you are running instances and going to be DPS)
5 points Weapon Mastery
1 point Dual Wield
1 point Stormstrike
3 points Dual Wield Specialization
5 points Unleashed Rage
1 point Shamanistic Rage

If you are finding yourself running out of mana too much though, try and slot in the points for Mental Quickness.. but with Shamanistic Focus there should be no real driving desire to grab them just yet. Only use shock spells when the focus goes up otherwise you'll be drinking once every 2-3 mobs.

This build will take you to lvl 50 and that's when you can start delving into different sections of your talents. If you want survivability, grab some Resto talents to help with the spot heals. If you feel that you want to keep grinding by yourself and maintaining DPS stability in instances then start pushing into Elemental and grabbing those key talents where it reduces mana cost for spells.

Then once you get to a comfortable stage you can then start fiddling around with what you want in the end.

speedpop

Alex said:
Is anyone keeping up with this Leiah debacle? The game almost feels corrupt now, I've never seen such silliness in an MMO before. I cannot fathom how Blizzard could go from such a respectable developer to being so absolutely tacky.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4665474821&sid=1&pageNo=1
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4665474928&sid=1&pageNo=1
Double post but it deserved it.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

edit: Just saw this beauty.

Blizzard said:
Nature’s Swiftness and Elemental Mastery now share a 10 second cooldown.
Sayonara to Shaman burst. Don't think I'll resub anymore.

Alex

speedpop said:
Double post but it deserved it.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

Sayonara to Shaman burst. Don't think I'll resub anymore.

Yeah, basically that's all you can really say. I'm not even a Shaman, never have, probably won't get around to trying one out, but I have friends that are and this bit of information still makes me really concerned for the welfare of the game.

There's alot of back and forth around the Shaman boards and some other boards I read about this as well.

I just feel sorry for the class, Elemental Shaman, the sole spec of the class that reliably and comfortably works in one setup, in one bracket in the arena, has been nerfed left and right this patch. Only now does it make a little sense as to why.

Reduction of their four piece bonus, nerf to EM+NS, giant association nerf to Power Infusion, "consistency" nerf applied to Call of Thunder that never applied to any other class with the same consistency setup, and the sad part is these were the leaked patch notes from prior to the PTR. And those had even more Shaman nerfs on 'em, such as a Lightning Bolt Coefficient reduction, pray that doesn't go in as well.

Sad stuff, really, I really don't want to be exposed to EverQuest style drama and shady development, I purposefully avoided that game for a reason.

speedpop

Eh Shaman haven't copped a good buff or two in a year or more so I'm certain the class community overall are used to it. But that's what happens when the developers state that they want to get rid of the burst damage in the game, and a class that solely relies on it gets nerf after nerf yet for some reason doesn't gain any compensation for it in ways of other abilities.

There's just too much history involved with the main designers of the game in their EQ nerd roots, their dislike for anything that is a hybrid and now this debacle where they may be caving in to their friends complaints.

I wonder what Metzen thinks now that the lifeblood of what the Horde stood for in his lore viewpoints is being destroyed bit by bit.

VaLiancY

My main is a Orc Hunter and I'm leveling a Druid. During my downtime when my account was frozen, I PVP'd with my friend's Enhancement Shaman and I felt godlike despite the epic PVE gear he was rocking. When I told him how fun it was, how refreshing it was to me laying the smackdown while Windfury and Mongoose proc'ing and I explained after I get my druid to a place where I want it, I wanted to roll a Shaman. He gave me the entire lowdown, I came into WoW around 06' so I didn't really get into the classes drama cept' anything that effected my Hunter. But the way he explained to me, it gave me this roller coaster analogy except you were riding it blind.:lol

bengraven

border said:
The last 25 levels of Blacksmithing require you to make blue items that take several Primals. The last 25 levels of almost all the crafting professions are just pure murder.

And the worst part is, I'm not even to 300 yet, which is why I was embarassed to post my armory character here a page before. I was going to try and level blacksmithing because those last weaponsmith weapons are fantastic raid gear and few people even have them.

But wow, expensive...

Primals are fairly easy and frequent drops from mining and elementals thankfully.

Ashodin

Eric WK said:
Why is GAF full of shaman? I swear the only classes people play as mains here are shaman, warrior, hunter.
Paladin dude, we roxor j00 soxors (except in Arena, and even then, sometimes).

Alex

VaLiancY said:
My main is a Orc Hunter and I'm leveling a Druid. During my downtime when my account was frozen, I PVP'd with my friend's Enhancement Shaman and I felt godlike despite the epic PVE gear he was rocking. When I told him how fun it was, how refreshing it was to me laying the smackdown while Windfury and Mongoose proc'ing and I explained after I get my druid to a place where I want it, I wanted to roll a Shaman. He gave me the entire lowdown, I came into WoW around 06' so I didn't really get into the classes drama cept' anything that effected my Hunter. But the way he explained to me, it gave me this roller coaster analogy except you were riding it blind.:lol

Shamans are fantastic in PvE, and just about anything can rock face in a BG. It's mostly an arena gig, Blizzard wants to cram their new venue down everyones throats, but refuses to balance for it.

Then they turn around and tell you that "Oh, well we balance for 5v5" every time a class speaks up, which couldn't be farther from the truth. It may be better, but it's hardly approaching even ground.

And of course, they offer all of the rewards, up the point calculation for lower brackets and worst of all: hold tournaments almost exclusively for 2v2 and 3v3. The big upcoming tournament on the main page is 3v3, for example.

Half the classes won't be able to participate effectively just because they were unlucky enough to enjoy a certain class, I mean it's not even as specific as a talent spec, just a class on the whole, that simply completely falters in that format

To go off on a tangent: I'm a fucking Gladiator and I HATE ARENAS, I am SICK to death of them and their effect on the game. I sincerely hope they're a bit diminished in LK, or that'll be when it's time for me to leave.

VaLiancY

I dislike Arenas, I'm a Hunter and my friends help me get 10 games in out of sympathy because of my hatred of it. Abuse of my LoS which is painful to me because I have to sick my pet on the healer and then a Mace Rogue lumps me up and everyone else is focusing dps on healers. I tried arenas but in the lowest bracket you'd expect some decently geared people like myself who have two piece Gladiator and then you go up against people decked out 5/5 Vengeful or Merciless just snuff you out like a flame.

firex

wow, this is just like Blizz's staff member Nebu (who basically has a blue name on the WoW forums, but his actual position within Blizz is webmaster/website updates for all Blizzard's official game websites) who it turned out was a really, really horrible PvPer on the beta PvP realm. He of course played alliance, and a warlock (and this was back when warlocks were good but not great, since it was before the 04-early 05 rampant warlock nerfing where they were literally one of the worst classes). And since his guild kept getting punked because they couldn't do anything but zerg the more organized horde guilds on the server, he kept bitching about shamans until Blizzard nerfed them in beta. It was like the very first set of nonsensical class nerfs I'd seen in the beta, too, although I guess it was just the start of a trend.

I'll still play my shaman when I renew, simply because the only other class I have at 70 is a paladin, which is still way worse to me, but I've got no doubt that Kalgan has no fucking idea how to balance the game. I've always felt that having old hardcore EQ whiners like Tigole, Furor and Kalgan in such important design/balance positions in this game was stupid.

I'm figuring what I may do if they add a caster/healer hero class with the next expansion (like all the Archdruid rumors or something) is I'll actually go and make one of those, unless they buff the hell out of shamans to make them a better class now. I mean it's fun to play as enhance, but nobody wants that spec for anything except one guy for a 25 man raid slot at most, or the occasional 5 man slot (but that's where resto is going to come into play more often). So that basically leaves resto/elemental spec which both have obvious huge weaknesses in PvP (resto being easily defeated by dispel, elemental getting its burst nerfed for 3 patches in a row).

Icy

Banned
VaLiancY said:
I dislike Arenas, I'm a Hunter and my friends help me get 10 games in out of sympathy because of my hatred of it. Abuse of my LoS which is painful to me because I have to sick my pet on the healer and then a Mace Rogue lumps me up and everyone else is focusing dps on healers. I tried arenas but in the lowest bracket you'd expect some decently geared people like myself who have two piece Gladiator and then you go up against people decked out 5/5 Vengeful or Merciless just snuff you out like a flame.

exactly. its way too gear based and not so much on skill. oh wait thats wow in its entirety.

yacobod

Banned
Alex said:
And of course, they offer all of the rewards, up the point calculation for lower brackets and worst of all: hold tournaments almost exclusively for 2v2 and 3v3. The big upcoming tournament on the main page is 3v3, for example.

Half the classes won't be able to participate effectively just because they were unlucky enough to enjoy a certain class, I mean it's not even as specific as a talent spec, just a class on the whole, that simply completely falters in that format

i'm pretty sure that 3v3 tournament has a $20 entrance fee, consists of premade characters to lvl the playing field, and allows your team to have up to 6 characters, so you can run multiple line ups, 3v3 is all about countercomping, so i doubt any of the top teams run 1 line up exclusively

to quote from the blizzard website

Bilzzard said:
Register for the 2008 World of Warcraft Arena Tournament!

The registration fee is $20 per account for each six-week online qualifying round (played out on the tournament realm)
Qualify for live tournaments with a chance to win cash prizes
Instantly create up to three new level 70s with full sets of PvP gear
Prove your skills in 3v3 Arena team combat

so 3 characters per person, so 9 different classes, i mean you can run a bunch of different comps provided each person is proficient at a few classes

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Hmm, so it looks like I might be dabbling into 25 man content, we let some pug priest come into our Kara last week and I guess we impressed him because he told his guild leader about us. We ran some heroics with the leader tonight and he tells us to be on at 8 for some SSC action.

I'd love to raid all the time like most people do, but my work schedule is complete balls, doubt I'll get to make all of them. :(
Ramirez raiding SSC? You can do so much better!

firex

I'm just now remembering that shocks sucking up too much mana has been a problem with shamans since the WoW beta until 2.3. I forgot that all the way back in beta all the shaman players said "just use rank 1 earth and frost shock, the effects are more important than the damage" which was always true until they added in shamanistic focus and made water shield not suck.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a shaman bitchfest, it's more like memories I have from playing shaman in beta (the class I got to 60 in the beta, and then I rolled a lock at first in retail) and seeing how little changed for them, for so long. They were a pretty good class with significant weaknesses/problems even back in the beta, but back then nearly every other class from today was way different than they are now. I can't think of a class that's changed less, although even they got some significant improvements in 2.0/TBC, although a lot of those have been nerfed since.

1up

Hitting 70 on my rogue is like going back to level 1. Just me and some blues and greens vs PvPers who have been 70 for over a year now. I PvP everyday with my guild and we do premades, but if I get targeted I go down the fastest. When will I start seeing my reslience really work for me?

So far I got the S1 sword, and PvP boots (Went for the most expensive items first). I'm trying for the S1 gloves and shoulders next just for the +35 reslience set bonus. Any other suggestions? I was thinking about respecing as well. Right now I'm Combat / Assassination and that works pretty well. I love swords though. Any good BG / Arena specs?

::EDIT:: Also, someone mentioned buying arena points. What does that mean?

firex

afaik the best arena spec for rogues is combat maces, or something similar. I just know to stay away from daggers since they blow.

1up said:
Hitting 70 on my rogue is like going back to level 1. Just me and some blues and greens vs PvPers who have been 70 for over a year now. I PvP everyday with my guild and we do premades, but if I get targeted I go down the fastest. When will I start seeing my reslience really work for me?

So far I got the S1 sword, and PvP boots (Went for the most expensive items first). I'm trying for the S1 gloves and shoulders next just for the +35 reslience set bonus. Any other suggestions? I was thinking about respecing as well. Right now I'm Combat / Assassination and that works pretty well. I love swords though. Any good BG / Arena specs?

::EDIT:: Also, someone mentioned buying arena points. What does that mean?
Maces if you want pvp.. daggers work great too but only as mutilate. Btw for resillence, 350+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom