• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

granted, it's my idea so I like it, but I think I'd prefer that to forcing people to spend 3 points on an improved ghost wolf talent just to make it a viable anti-CC. There's other things I would want to change that are kind of across the board changes anyway, though.

I got this from the Durn quest in Nagrand
http://thottbot.com/i25772

And I made this for myself
http://thottbot.com/i30074

Today was a good day

And I did good tanking Auchenai Crypts for the first time
tank1.jpg

(52% dm taken, healer 9% dm taken)

We got NO drops from mobs. I've never seen that happen. And all the boss drops were meh, at least to me (mail stuff, cloth, etc). I doubt I'll come back

We wiped a couple times mainly due to not knowing the instance at all. But overall it was pretty easy, plus we had a badass lv70 mage

firex

I think this is what I'm going to go with when I spec resto on my shaman. the enhance is there for solo grinding on older quests, plus I'll probably split my time between heroic pve and arena pvp.

PhoenixDark said:
I got this from the Durn quest in Nagrand
http://thottbot.com/i25772

And I made this for myself
http://thottbot.com/i30074

Today was a good day

And I did good tanking Auchenai Crypts for the first time
tank1.jpg

(52% dm taken, healer 9% dm taken)

We got NO drops from mobs. I've never seen that happen. And all the boss drops were meh, at least to me (mail stuff, cloth, etc). I doubt I'll come back

We wiped a couple times mainly due to not knowing the instance at all. But overall it was pretty easy, plus we had a badass lv70 mage

Good job; that's a hard instance to do (and frankly, to find a group for) at level; the Possessors are fun that first time, ain't they? :lol

So, guys who leveled warriors to 70, does it ever get hard to solo as a warrior? I'm at 37-38 right now and as arms it's been extremely easy to solo quest. When leveling toons all I do is solo questing so instances and most group quests are out of the question. I kinda figure it'll get even quicker and easy at 40 with me getting MS and plate but I just wanna make sure.

Hero

DarkAngelYuna said:
So, guys who leveled warriors to 70, does it ever get hard to solo as a warrior? I'm at 37-38 right now and as arms it's been extremely easy to solo quest. When leveling toons all I do is solo questing so instances and most group quests are out of the question. I kinda figure it'll get even quicker and easy at 40 with me getting MS and plate but I just wanna make sure.

Are you on a PVP server? Because warriors who are solo-grinding are one of the easiest classes to take down, no CC, no escape abilities, etc.

By the way, don't go MS. Get Imp. Slam and Bloodthirst.

Hero said:
Are you on a PVP server? Because warriors who are solo-grinding are one of the easiest classes to take down, no CC, no escape abilities, etc.

Ya I'm a pvp server but the alliance on my realm are pretty dead so its rare to run into them..besides in case I do I always camp 1 of my 70s where I'm currently questing at anyways. =]

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
DarkAngelYuna said:
nope, never, no joke. go fury though, way better for pve, less tedious than having to stand around for 3 seconds before you strike too.

trh said:
nope, never, no joke. go fury though, way better for pve, less tedious having to stand around for 3 seconds before you strike too.
Is it easy to find 2 duel weapons to use as fury though without instances? I could respec to fury at 40 I guess. I like to quest to 60 in 2-3 weeks and instances xp rate is too low to waste my time in ;( I've been using the Whirlwind axe with savagy enchant since 30 and its owned so much. :D

DarkAngelYuna said:
Is it easy to find 2 duel weapons to use as fury though without instances? I could respec to fury at 40 I guess. I like to quest to 60 in 2-3 weeks and instances xp rate is too low to waste my time in ;( I've been using the Whirlwind axe with savagy enchant since 30 and its owned so much. :D

thrash blade or w/e is around that level i think, and i'm sure you can find something else. Also the MH / OH from ZF isn't bad if i remember correctly. What server you on? alliance are dead on mine too :p.

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
thrash blade or w/e is around that level i think, and i'm sure you can find something else. Also the MH / OH from ZF isn't bad if i remember correctly. What server you on? alliance are dead on mine too :p.
Demon Soul =[

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DarkAngelYuna said:
I was stuck between a warrior and a druid as my 5th 70.. I'm at 37 so far on my warrior and having fun. Only at 13 on my druid cause he puts me to sleep =\ Supposed to get better at 20 with cat form I hear but holy crap, druids are just so bad and boring before that.
I LOVE my feral druid. So easy to level and kinda fun in PvP too.

and to be honest, the druid doesn't really become fun till level 30+ so you've still got a bit of grinding to do. don't expect it to become fun as soon as you get catform... you need to level up a bit to get some useful abilities in catform.

firex said:
edit: also, with regards to the ghost wolf argument, I would do as follows:
1) Make ghost wolf instant cast by default
2) Make ghost wolf immune to poly and break snares/roots
3) Make druid travel form available at level 20

Then they're both evenly balanced, and the druid gets their travel skill at the same time everyone else who gets one does.
I only agree with #2. It becomes instant cast only with talent points, that's what balances it compared to druid travel form.

Hero said:

Solo Warriors don't really go by the rage bar, it's really your HP bar; hence, unlike the other classes that fight, escape, or heal back up with their other bar, the Warrior is in deep shit at half health when jumped by adds/gankers.

I sorta disaggre about no MS; if you do any pvp at all during your leveling (PvP daily ftw), you'll want that MS (which is not terrible for leveling AT ALL).

firex

Scrow said:
I LOVE my feral druid. So easy to level and kinda fun in PvP too.

and to be honest, the druid doesn't really become fun till level 30+ so you've still got a bit of grinding to do. don't expect it to become fun as soon as you get catform... you need to level up a bit to get some useful abilities in catform.

I only agree with #2. It becomes instant cast only with talent points, that's what balances it compared to druid travel form.
It doesn't even become instant cast except according to the current PTR build. If they did like I said then it would literally make travel form and ghost wolf the same, so there's no way they could be unbalanced.

bengraven

DarkAngelYuna said:

It's so gear dependant, though, which could by why you're having a fairly easy time with it. If I had a 70 sugar daddy to pay for my baby warrior's clothes, I probably would have done a bit better.

But that said, yeah, he wasn't so bad at all. It's nice to handle 2 enemies at once on you without panicking. Dual wielding is the way to go for pve, fury.

bengraven said:
It's so gear dependant, though, which could by why you're having a fairly easy time with it. If I had a 70 sugar daddy to pay for my baby warrior's clothes, I probably would have done a bit better.

But that said, yeah, he wasn't so bad at all. It's nice to handle 2 enemies at once on you without panicking. Dual wielding is the way to go for pve, fury.
Actually most of my gear is outdated. At 38 most of my armor is greens from high 20s to low 30s. The only great piece of gear I have is the whirlwind axe with savagery =]

bengraven

DarkAngelYuna said:
Actually most of my gear is outdated. At 38 most of my armor is greens from high 20s to low 30s. The only great piece of gear I have is the whirlwind axe with savagery =]

Well, gear dependency is more of an instance/raid/pvp issue anyway and you said you were mainly soloing.

But that axe is fantastic if you don't want dual swords. I used that for a large part of my 30s, early 40s. :D

bengraven said:
Well, gear dependency is more of an instance/raid/pvp issue anyway and you said you were mainly soloing.

But that axe is fantastic if you don't want dual swords. I used that for a large part of my 30s, early 40s. :D
Ya, i just bought http://thottbot.com/i13018 on the AH for only 15g incase I stay arms. That'll last me until 51 when I can get the Ice Barbed Spear =]

I've also been thinking about leveling a warrior lately. I've read the warrior forums plus a couple guides online at leveling warriors. So far it seems that fury isn't the only great leveling tree anymore. Arms with a 2hander seems to be the most desired spec for leveling if you'll be soloing. You can easily get a great blue or purple 2 hander for all level ranges off the AH or simple solo quests. DW fury weapons are a lot harder to come by on your own.

explodet

I found leveling fury to be a little faster than arms - but I kind of abandoned my warrior at level 63 in order to build up my other characters.

Second wind in Arms is great for grinding mobs that give you a stun every now and then, though. Adds a little rage and health and reduces the amount of downtime.

yacobod

Banned
lvling a warrior is easy if you have the gold and resources to twink the shit out of him

keeping him with the best gear, enchants, and especially wpns make it trivial

lvling with quest greens and crap gear will make it more difficult

Hero

SatelliteOfLove said:
Solo Warriors don't really go by the rage bar, it's really your HP bar; hence, unlike the other classes that fight, escape, or heal back up with their other bar, the Warrior is in deep shit at half health when jumped by adds/gankers.

I sorta disaggre about no MS; if you do any pvp at all during your leveling (PvP daily ftw), you'll want that MS (which is not terrible for leveling AT ALL).

If we're talking about straight PVE-grinding MS isn't too bad but with Imp. Slam + Bloodthirst you'll be doing yourself a much better service. Also, I wouldn't recommend Dual Wield until you get to Outlands, as you're not going to find any +hit gear to help you. Throughout the game there are excellent 2H weapons like Whirlwind Axe and Ice Barbed Spear which are amazing if you get them as soon as you can.

With Improved Slam you can essentially double your DPS. Get the AddOn Quartz which can display your Swing Timer.

What should happen is something like:

White Attack, then as soon as it hits activate Improved Slam, .5 seconds later you have an attack that hits harder than your White Attack for a marginal rage cost.

Ideally you'd have a rotation like:

Bloodthirst -> White Attack -> Improved Slam -> White Attack

The problem with going Arms for leveling is that your only real attack is Mortal Strike and Heroic Strike. Heroic Strike is pretty horrible for damage per rage point. You could use regular Slam, but that's 1.5 second cast time and you lose a lot of the efficiency.

Edit:

Not to mention in Fury you get Sweeping Strikes, which if used properly is godly for grinding.

bengraven

Hero said:
If we're talking about straight PVE-grinding MS isn't too bad but with Imp. Slam + Bloodthirst you'll be doing yourself a much better service. Also, I wouldn't recommend Dual Wield until you get to Outlands, as you're not going to find any +hit gear to help you. Throughout the game there are excellent 2H weapons like Whirlwind Axe and Ice Barbed Spear which are amazing if you get them as soon as you can.

With Improved Slam you can essentially double your DPS. Get the AddOn Quartz which can display your Swing Timer.

What should happen is something like:

White Attack, then as soon as it hits activate Improved Slam, .5 seconds later you have an attack that hits harder than your White Attack for a marginal rage cost.

Ideally you'd have a rotation like:

Bloodthirst -> White Attack -> Improved Slam -> White Attack

The problem with going Arms for leveling is that your only real attack is Mortal Strike and Heroic Strike. Heroic Strike is pretty horrible for damage per rage point. You could use regular Slam, but that's 1.5 second cast time and you lose a lot of the efficiency.

Edit:

Not to mention in Fury you get Sweeping Strikes, which if used properly is godly for grinding.

As said earlier, I'm hybrid Arms/Fury, but I find:

Bloodthirst - attack - mortal strike - attack - mortal strike cools down then hit it again- etc.

works very nice. You're getting a free attack basically. I can take out those 72 ogres above Shat with less than 1/4 life lost if done right. And Execute Execute Execute when it comes up.

Hero

bengraven said:
As said earlier, I'm hybrid Arms/Fury, but I find:

Bloodthirst - attack - mortal strike - attack - mortal strike cools down then hit it again- etc.

works very nice. You're getting a free attack basically. I can take out those 72 ogres above Shat with less than 1/4 life lost if done right. And Execute Execute Execute when it comes up.

I don't mean to be a dick, but the past few posts regarding warrior spec and viability have been about PVE leveling a warrior. If you're grinding on ogres at level 70 that's great for you but you can't have Bloodthirst and MS until you're at the max level cap. I'm giving suggestions on what to spec for leveling. Do you understand?

I just got my epic flying mount on my BE and started doing the Netherwing quests. That makes it my second character with an epic flying mount. It took about a week and a half to come up with the 3k I needed but I also didn't make any money during AV weekend and spent a lot of money on enchants and gems for the PVP gear I got. Questing at 70 and mining is where it's at btw. Skinning is pretty worthless at 70 since the skill to turn scraps and Knothide into heavy knothide and regular are on leatherworking and no one wants to pay anything good for most of the "rare" hides you can get except for Clefthoof.

bengraven

Hero said:
I don't mean to be a dick, but the past few posts regarding warrior spec and viability have been about PVE leveling a warrior. If you're grinding on ogres at level 70 that's great for you but you can't have Bloodthirst and MS until you're at the max level cap. I'm giving suggestions on what to spec for leveling. Do you understand?

Well, as anyone here can attest, questions about class choice end up devolving into end game type conversations anyway. I was just going along with the flow. Sorry if I offended you.

Hero

bengraven said:
Well, as anyone here can attest, questions about class choice end up devolving into end game type conversations anyway. I was just going along with the flow. Sorry if I offended you.

You didn't offend me, I'm just puzzled why you would bring up an endgame PVE-grinding spec when we're discussing the leveling choices at hand.

yacobod

Banned
Hero said:
If you're grinding on ogres at level 70 that's great for you but you can't have Bloodthirst and MS until you're at the max level cap.

you noobs

cant have bloodthirst and MS at lvl cap either, since they are both 31 pt talents

firex

my warrior is level 41 and I was going to say the same thing! and mine is pretty much abandoned sadly. I'd level him but I'm gonna make a DK in WotLK. if DK sucks compared to warrior then I'll just twink out my existing warrior and level him up.

bengraven

firex said:
my warrior is level 41 and I was going to say the same thing! and mine is pretty much abandoned sadly. I'd level him but I'm gonna make a DK in WotLK. if DK sucks compared to warrior then I'll just twink out my existing warrior and level him up.

Yeah, it's about time for some more info on the DK. I am NOT prepared.

explodet

Enhancement - and yeah, pretty much. It's more gear-based than elemental in the lower levels, but it's much easier on mana so there's less downtime. Windfury will be your best friend.

Avoid the toughness and anticipation talents, they're pretty meh.

firex

just make sure to get a good 2h weapon until level 40ish, then get a pair of slow weapons you can dual wield after that. No swords (since shamans can't use swords) but axes, maces and fist weapons are all ok. You want a relatively slow (2.4 or greater is ideal) speed offhand so your offhand strikes don't proc windfury as much.

border

JoeFu said:
Can someone explain to this noob why you want slower weapons sometimes other than fast ones?
What is your class?

Most melee characters have an instant attack that deals weapon damage (PLUS some amount), at the cost of rage/mana/energy. If you have a fast weapon in your main hand, you are wasting that rage/mana/energy because that fast weapon doesn't deal a lot of damage in a single hit. A slow weapon may not strike as frequently, but it kind of makes up for it with the various instant attacks that have higher damage.

firex

slower weapons of the same level/quality as a faster one will usually hit harder, in order for their DPS to be equal to a faster weapon. For a lot of skills you want them to hit as hard as possible, or in the case of dual wielding, you want skills like heroic strike/sinister strike to hit with the slower weapon because it will do more damage than a faster one.

In the case of tanking, you want a 2.0 speed (average, 1.6 is about as fast as you'd want and 2.2 is about as slow as you'd want) weapon so you can keep your threat up from melee attacks.

In the case of a shaman, it's simple: Windfury has this hidden 3 second cooldown between procs. Since windfury is the best source of dps from auto-attacking that a shaman has, you want your offhand to be slow so your main hand (which will hit harder since offhand attacks always do half what they would do if they were in your main hand) will proc windfury for bigger damage.

edit: also, although this may not be an issue now, a slower weapon makes it easier to use your special without resetting your swing timer.

When it comes to Rogues it's not about the speed of the mainhand weapon though. It's more about the weapon damage. For example, I can get a 2.90 or so mainhand but it's probably not going to be better than the 2.60 Gladiator's blade and that same 2.60 is not just as good as the 2.60 Merciless Gladiator's blade simply because of the speed. You pretty much always want a fast off-hand though because you want that off-hand to be hitting all the time to apply poisons and proc stuff like combat potency.

JoeFu

Banned
OH, okay cool.

And I'm a pally, but I'm specced prot right now. I think I will go back to ret when I get the gear though.

tenchir

My level 70 shaman has been my main for this past 3 years, started out as enhancement, then elemental, then finally resto. For soloing/farming, enhancement is your best bet. You will want to get the slowest dual weapons you can get because of the hidden 3 second windfury cooldown procs. The slowest main/off/one-hand weapons are 2.7 seconds, unless they added something new.

All of my enchancement, elemental, restoration are kara-level epics now heh. I pretty much raided everything pre2.3. Right now I am working on getting S3 gears. It's pretty hard doing it 2s since my 3s friends never seem to log in at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom