• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Evening, lads. Help!
I'm at Splintertree Post, I'm a lvl 22 Undead Warlock and am wondering if there's a armour vendor nearby that'd be of any use to me? If not, where can I go to find something worthwhile?

border

Warlock Lifetap nerf is gone, too.

But they are nerfing one of the easier dailies :(

The daily quest Escape from Skettis has had its reward tuned down.

I understand that such a simple short quest shouldn't have a huge reward, but just getting the quest is such an ass-whipping (with both factions competing for a single-spawn NPC) I feel like the reward is justified. If they are going to tone down the reward then they should put the Skettis prisoner at multiple spots so more than 1 person/group can do the quest at a time.

DarkAngelYuna said:
Woot, they removed the MS effect from Shamans.

And the Lock nerf has passed as well. Whine away and the nerfs/buffs fall from the list!

Throw enough shit and see what sticks, Blizz? :lol

border

They explained the Warlock nerf, and its revocation. Oh, and they outright admitted that it was just for the sake of arenas, not due to any other sort of balancing issue.

They also gave a helpful chart, detailing their expectations for class representation in Arenas. I'm not sure if I would have given the players this information, as now they are going to have a ton of dumb shit to cry about, and data to back up their QQ.

According to Blizzard's expectations, warriors are under-represented in almost every Arena bracket. BUFF WARRIORS PLZ!

Kalgan said:
No other warlock nerfs are planned for 2.4. One of the things we look at is class representation in arenas (although normalized for class popularity). In this particular chart, a value of 100% means the class is represented as we'd expect, a value over 100% means the class is represented that much more often than we'd expect, a value below 100% means they're represented less than we'd want (obviously this chart doesn't include a spec breakdown in any way).

one other detail regarding the chart, this one is set at 2200+ rating.

2v2 3v3 5v5
Druid 276.0% 184.0% 80.5%
Hunter 43.0% 50.2% 43.0%
Mage 8.7% 96.0% 96.0%
Paladin 19.7% 29.5% 147.4%
Priest 113.3% 164.8% 185.4%
Shaman 37.8% 50.4% 138.6%
Rogue 144.2% 175.1% 61.8%
Warlock 149.2% 93.2% 111.9%
Warrior 130.4% 90.7% 79.3%

Here's 1850...

Druid 184.0% 138.0% 92.0%
Hunter 50.2% 50.2% 50.2%
Mage 61.1% 87.3% 87.3%
Paladin 68.8% 88.4% 137.6%
Priest 133.9% 133.9% 154.5%
Shaman 75.6% 88.2% 138.6%
Rogue 154.5% 154.5% 82.4%
Warlock 121.2% 102.5% 102.5%
Warrior 90.7% 85.0% 85.0%

FF_VIII

Banned
border said:
They explained the Warlock nerf, and its revocation. Oh, and they outright admitted that it was just for the sake of arenas, not due to any other sort of balancing issue.

They also gave a helpful chart, detailing their expectations for class representation in Arenas. I'm not sure if I would have given the players this information, as now they are going to have a ton of dumb shit to cry about, and data to back up their QQ.

According to Blizzard's expectations, warriors are under-represented in almost every Arena bracket. BUFF WARRIORS PLZ!

2v2 is inbalanced because of Cyclone.

yacobod

Banned
FF_VIII said:
2v2 is inbalanced because of Cyclone.

not really

druids being able to run away and drink while keeping their partner hotted up is why they are unbalanaced in 2v2

its really arena water more than anything

border

I hopped onto the PTR and was finally able to get a group together to run Magister's Terrace. It's actually pretty cool, though it's a real bitch without CC. All we had was my succubus, who kept getting murdered by AoE.

A couple of the boss fights are mini-versions of Karazahn encounters. There's a dude like Curator and a group-boss that's like Moroes. Fighting Kael'Thas is pretty cool as well.....in his second phase he throws everyone into the air and you have to swim around while DPSing and avoiding these electric bubbles that float around the room.

Beating MT once in normal mode allows you to go Heroic mode immediately, which is pretty cool as well. I was thinking that it would take days and days of rep-grinding to get Heroic mode open.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
I hopped onto the PTR and was finally able to get a group together to run Magister's Terrace. It's actually pretty cool, though it's a real bitch without CC. All we had was my succubus, who kept getting murdered by AoE.

A couple of the boss fights are mini-versions of Karazahn encounters. There's a dude like Curator and a group-boss that's like Moroes. Fighting Kael'Thas is pretty cool as well.....in his second phase he throws everyone into the air and you have to swim around while DPSing and avoiding these electric bubbles that float around the room.

Beating MT once in normal mode allows you to go Heroic mode immediately, which is pretty cool as well. I was thinking that it would take days and days of rep-grinding to get Heroic mode open.

It still might take rep-grinding, although to honored shouldn't take much time. Keep in mind they probably lowered required time to get into the Heroic so they could test it.

Although, I wonder what the abbreviation for the terrace will be since Mana Tombs is already MT.....

border

Tamanon said:
It still might take rep-grinding, although to honored shouldn't take much time. Keep in mind they probably lowered required time to get into the Heroic so they could test it.
Well, completing the "Kill Kael'Thas" quest automatically rewards you with admittance to the Heroic....it's not like they just jacked up the amount of reputation you get to speed things along (I'm still neutral with Shattered Sun). Since it's a component of the quest reward I'm thinking they will keep it like that. Given the number of well-geared level 70 players there are, they may just give them the option of going straight to Heroic rather than making them earn it slowly. Though with the number of Shattered Sun dailies there are I can't imagine it'd take more than a few days to get to Honored.

You get the Magister's Terrace key when you turn in Kael'Thas' head (last part of a quest chain doable in one run through the dungeon) after beating it on Normal.

You also get a cut spinel out of the quest too, which is pretty hot.

border

The Shattered Sun rep rewards are pretty sweet, too. I'll probably have a new tanking sword and tanking shield when all is said and done......plus I might get the +63 spell damage trinket for my warlock.

I logged onto the PVP test server this morning and it was a ghost town. Really strange to be getting 60 fps in Orgrimmar. PVE server seems to be where it's at.

border said:
The Shattered Sun rep rewards are pretty sweet, too. I'll probably have a new tanking sword and tanking shield when all is said and done......plus I might get the +63 spell damage trinket for my warlock..

Yeah if you don't have a Sun Eater or King's Defender yet (or better), the new tanking sword (Inuuro's Blade) is pretty darn nice. The necklace you get at exalted for tanking is amazing-it's got almost the same stats as the badge neck for threat plus a proc that is up about 20% of the time while tanking.

Shattered Sun rewards >>>>>>> other daily faction rewards by a mile.

firex

how are shamans over-represented by Blizzard's expectations? I guess Kalgan thinks every arena team should have a warrior and there should be like 20 shamans per battlegroup per bracket.

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:
how are shamans over-represented by Blizzard's expectations? I guess Kalgan thinks every arena team should have a warrior and there should be like 20 shamans per battlegroup per bracket.

What?

Shamans are only over-represented in 5v5, they're under-represented in any other Arena team.

firex

yeah, I was just looking at 5v5. still, lol @ being overrepresented in the only bracket where they don't suck while warriors are underrepresented in the bracket where they're most dangerous.

actually, seeing that 2 of the crappiest arena classes (paladin/shaman) are considered "overrepresented" in 5v5 is insane. not as insane as the vastly overrepresented druid in 2v2 and 3v3 (or mages in 2v2 at the opposite end) but still, I guess more than 50 or so per battlegroup is too many in 5v5 for the classes that are only good in 5v5.

Now that I'm 70, what do I do to get better gear quickly?

Just run instances over and over and over?
Get kara attuned and run it whenever possible?
Heroics?
AH?

firex

since you're playing a dagger rogue I'd do some instances and try to get in on Kara. I'm assuming you want to stay daggers. the only other way to get a good dagger set is pvp. Heroics have crappy daggers for the most part.

Kara does indeed have at least two A-grade daggers if you can get in there, and tons of tasty leather drops. It's also your best badge/hour return by far, so if you can get attuned and get a decent group that is a very good idea.

Heroics are an ehh-OK way to gear up in comparison simply because the loot tables aren't as uniform and there aren't as many drops per time invested.

PvP might be painful for a rogue gearing up thanks to the low +hit values on the gear. Then again, raw item value may more than make up for it.

Tamanon

Banned
Or depending on when 2.4 hits, you might not even bother getting attuned, since they're removing it.

Finally dusted the mage out of mothballs. Hadn't played her in about a year, forgot how pimped out she was. Transferred to a more progressive guild and will be ready to tackle some of the new stuff.

I managed to get all of Kara but the Black Morass done in 2 days......I keep getting overconfident groups that fuck up the dark portal shiz

Tamanon

Banned
BigJonsson said:
I managed to get all of Kara but the Black Morass done in 2 days......I keep getting overconfident groups that fuck up the dark portal shiz

Black Morass is such a pain with Pugs, probably one of the worst non-heroics to pug.

border

I gave up on leveling lockpicking a long time ago. Like before I even hit 125. It's just pure bullshit. It has no real utility or benefit, yet the time and effort it takes to level it is greater than any other skill or profession. The best you ever get out of it is a couple gold from someone as a tip, or maybe a blue item from some chest in a dungeon (though 95% of the time chests contain nothing of particular value).

BM is no problem for a PUG that simply knows how the instance works. Shattered Halls is a nightmare, though.

I got from 101 to 185 in lockpicking tonight lol

Its just so damn tedious

And I want to be able to open all those locked instance doors........people on my server failed at getting the keys

I did shatt halls very fast with a pug lol, why do you say its trouble?

Tamanon

Banned
Shattered Halls is only slow if you have a crappy tank in your PuG.

Ran Arcatraz for the first time in over a year, was quick and easy although I d/c'd at the room before the final boss. I was the sharder, had 2 shards we were going to roll on, but didn't make it back on until a half hour later. Gotta preserve my rep on the server(and Cat 5's) so I sent every party member a shard since we never rolled.

In the end I was out 2 shards, but doing the daily and getting the Whitemend Pants pattern made up for things. Now to figure out how to get the fishing daily, I found the cooking one already.

Chris R

Tamanon said:
Shattered Halls is only slow if you have a crappy tank in your PuG.

Ran Arcatraz for the first time in over a year, was quick and easy although I d/c'd at the room before the final boss. I was the sharder, had 2 shards we were going to roll on, but didn't make it back on until a half hour later. Gotta preserve my rep on the server(and Cat 5's) so I sent every party member a shard since we never rolled.

In the end I was out 2 shards, but doing the daily and getting the Whitemend Pants pattern made up for things. Now to figure out how to get the fishing daily, I found the cooking one already.
SH is just too long to begin with, same with Bot/Arc/SL

A 5 man should take at MOST a single hour (imo at least).

rhfb said:
SH is just too long to begin with, same with Bot/Arc/SL

A 5 man should take at MOST a single hour (imo at least).

Nah, only SL is even considered long in my book.

I do miss big-ass city-size dungeons; I'm hoping Ultgarde is BRD sized with like, different levels connected as "seperate 5-mans" that can be specified via the entrance portal.

Chris R

SatelliteOfLove said:
Nah, only SL is even considered long in my book.

I do miss big-ass city-size dungeons; I'm hoping Ultgarde is BRD sized with like, different levels connected as "seperate 5-mans" that can be specified via the entrance portal.
I just hate most of the instances provided in outlands that I ran. SV and Ramparts, BM, and Sethekk Halls were the only instances I liked :| guess thats what I get for only running pugs :lol

BRD was fun, only when you were 60 and could blaze through it skipping large chunks :lol I liked the idea of Living/UD and DM

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah I must admit there were some awesome instances pre-BC. I was reflecting about it with a friend of mine about how cool ZF, Mara and even the low level 20s instances were. All she said was that she hated ZF because of the constant PUGs she had to run.

firex

SFK is still one of my favorite instances in the game. especially after 2.3 with all of the upgraded loot from there.

edit: for the most part I like the quick instances in TBC, aside from Auchenai Crypts (that thing is just poorly balanced since you need a druid healer or an uber geared priest to get past the first boss). I'd rather go through a fast-paced instance with a lot of fights and bosses that take like 2 hours on heroic mode than U/LBRS and Strath. Although Strath isn't so bad now. I'm probably just thinking of before it was capped to 5 people and nerfed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
SFK was king. Was the first time "we" set up the party of 2 Warriors, 1 Priest, 1 Mage. Went through up till SM Library with that setup till we had to start adding another class to help with the DPS. Good times.

ManaByte

Gold Member
BT/Hyjal boss guide from the forums:

* Archimonde: "A great way to prepare your guild for this encounter is to have all your guildies meet up in real life and kick each other in the balls repeatedly until they break down and cry."
* Rage Winterchill: "After 8 waves of slaying exciting and dynamic pacing mechanisms, you will do battle with Rage Winterchill, who you may have met before in your adventures to Scholomance. He hits nearly as hard as the guy in Scholomance, so make sure you have at least 1 person Bandaging the Main Tank every minute."
* The Black Temple: "Black Temple is the home of Illidan, he is in a guild called <The Betrayer> ... While waiting for your raid to form, you can play the exciting game of repeatedly aggroing Doomwalker on a flying mount, causing him to yell at the entire zone. The lvl 68's nearby will either threaten to report for for spamming in general chat or send you whispers asking to join your Doomwalker raid. Both should provide suitable entertainment while you wait for people to hearth and come back because they forgot their SR neck."
* Illidari Council: "All throughout your World Of Warcraft raiding career, you have been preparing for this fight. From Magmadar to Magtheridon, Ragnaros to Rage Winterchill, you have learned not to stand in bad things. Well, my friends, it's time for all that experience to pay off because Illidari Council is the SUPER BOWL OF NOT STANDING IN THINGS! This fight has so many things not to stand in including: Concencrate, Blizzard, Flamestrike, the general area around the mage guy and much much more."
* Illidan loots: "Congratulations on your double vanquisher, healing cloak with spellhaste, felhunter on a stick and leather bracer pattern. You are also guaranteed to get a warglaive of azzinoth, unless someone in the raid deserves one ... and always remember that all your accomplishments mean nothing because they are MONTHS BEHIND."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I hit 350 lockpicking today, it went way faster than expected.......once you hit 300, getting the last 50 takes maybe 20 minutes in Zangarmarsh

firex said:
SFK is still one of my favorite instances in the game. especially after 2.3 with all of the upgraded loot from there.

edit: for the most part I like the quick instances in TBC, aside from Auchenai Crypts (that thing is just poorly balanced since you need a druid healer or an uber geared priest to get past the first boss). I'd rather go through a fast-paced instance with a lot of fights and bosses that take like 2 hours on heroic mode than U/LBRS and Strath. Although Strath isn't so bad now. I'm probably just thinking of before it was capped to 5 people and nerfed.
A pally or shaman work fine so long as the melee aren't retarded and the tank isn't undergeared as fuck.

I pretty much like every instance in the game, save RFC and the stupid one in SW. Yes, even Uldaman.

Woo, about half way into 66 on my warrior now. Took like 5+ hours today to find a group to do the Ring of Blood chain ;( I had to tank it. Tried to use my 1h sword and shield for the first boss...my skill was so low that my sunder and every thing just kept missing thank god he has little hp so everyone downed him asap. The next 4 bosses I just went back to my 2h polearm and wtf pwn tanked everyone without a problem. Only time I lost aggro was when they'd do some toss back move tossing me like 30 yards away.. and I still was 3rd dps woot! I love this new axe from the quest chain :D Should last til 70. http://thottbot.com/i25762 It looks fucking hot with my savagery on it :D

border

It was a pretty fun night for my guild. We raided Ironforge, Darnassus, Exodar, and Stormwind. We killed every faction leader except the bishop dude in SW. They were only worth about 50 honor each, but it was cool since I'd never done anything like that in my 3 years of playing. They really oughtta make daily quests to go kill leaders :lol

Surprisingly none of the faction bosses were that hard, except Bronzebeard.....and that's only because we probably spent 15 minutes regrouping in Deepraum Tram and gave the allies enough time to put together a good defense. When we got to Bronzebeard we wiped because they were so many allies and spawned guards that everyone lagged out. We waited around for the allies to disperse, rezed simultaneously, and murdered him. Then we stayed for a bit to kill anyone foolish enough to enter the room, and finally ported out to Org. :D

Not a lot of bitter tears, but this was nice to hear:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5103826496&sid=1

My friends were in middle of Onyxia attunement when the raid happened. They've been waiting for Bolvar to respawn for about an hour now. GG.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So my Priest on Bronzebeard is now 19 and I'm really enjoying it. Never really played a healer before.

But god damned, the ninja looters on that server are insane. Ran Deadmines twice and both times the Shaman in the group ninja looted the Cruel Barb (shaman can't use) and the Wand that drops off Cookie. They needed the items because "I need to sell it!".

Chris R

BigJonsson said:
Ring of Blood is one of the best quest chains in the game
good rewards and exp, but a horrible quest in terms of story/fun/ect

just dinged 63, so much better in AV now that I'm not getting constant resists :lol

Well, I guess I'm kinda done with WoW for now with Brawl coming out tomorrow. If the Xbox/Wii/DS scene gets slow again or if I just get the itching for some character customizing shit I might be back though.

My total belf rogue
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Kunoichi

My NE rogue
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Kunoichilink

I wish I could have gotten my S3 helm on my NE and gotten exalted with Cenarion at least. I still want the damn epic LW patterns from them and Honor Hold. It's really hard to find a group with no guild on Trollbane. Piece of shit server.

I got a lot done in 2 months with my BE. Just got my dragon mount the other day. I got kind of sick of PVP at the end there though so I didn't get all the gear I wanted.

I also rapidly started hating the Alliance playing Horde. Go figure. I think I get a little too much enjoyment out of tearing up Draenei Shamans. :lol

FF_VIII

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Ring of Blood is one of the best quest chains in the game

Agreed. I got really lucky on my mage though. I was in a group with one druid, but we completed it because there was a group of 70s just outside helping us :D All we had to do was tag them and let them finish them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom