• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

The Lamonster said:
Professions are boring and feel like a tack-on

Do not bitch about not having gold if you're not using professions. My friend made 400 gold in a day just be selling Azeroth ore. And most of that was shit like iron and mithril.

Alex

I used to make pretty good money selling alchemy related stuff on the AH. I'd imagine gems are good too. Stuff like BSing, LWing, probably ain't so good.

VaLiancY

Yeah, I'm dropping LW cause I thought I'd make bank off of Nethercobra and Nethercleft. I thought wrong, I'll just skin and mine now.

My problem with my professions (mining, skinning) is that I picked them up too late and the areas where I hang out, the level is way too high for me to use my profession. So I probably have to spend a day in a low-level area just skinning baby cats or something. :'(

Chris R

The Lamonster said:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm quickly approaching level 40, and I have about 50 gold. This money thing is really starting to stress me out. I want a mount as soon as possible (because I spend most of my time just running from place to place and it's boring and takes forever) and I just lost about 3 gold worth in deposits. It takes me a whole level to gain 3 gold.

I didn't start playing this game just to get all stressed about money issues. THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE REAL LIFE. Professions are boring and feel like a tack-on, the AH never sells my items so I always end up losing gold, and monsters never drop very much gold. And if I buy gold with real money from a website, I'm subject to hacking or banning.

I don't want to put this game down, but severe lack of funds is really cramping the fun. Fuck.

Drop whatever professions you have and pick up Mining and Skinning.

If you are horde go around outside of Org and just mine copper. Spend maybe an hour running around and you should have a few stacks of copper, that should sell for some gold. You see people at level 70 like to power level their professions and have alot of gold. They spend this gold instead of going out and getting their own materials. Get your skinning up to max might take a while, but you are under 40 so it wont take forever. On my server you can sell a rugged leather for 1g a PIECE... thats 20g a stack for something that takes a 70 maybe 5 mins to farm in Winterspring. So again

a) Get mining and skinning
b) Spend a little bit of time and get them up to your level (40*5 = 200)
c) Sell your goods on the AH
d) DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE AH

The Lamonster said:
My problem with my professions (mining, skinning) is that I picked them up too late and the areas where I hang out, the level is way too high for me to use my profession. So I probably have to spend a day in a low-level area just skinning baby cats or something. :'(

That isn't bad, you can convert the lesser leathers into higher level ones and sell those. Just check to see if any particular level of leather sells really well. If Medium leather sells for 5g a stack then convert all your light leather into it as you level up.

Horde or Alliance? If you are horde you can get pretty high just sitting next to org and then going to the barrens.

rhfb said:
Drop whatever professions you have and pick up Mining and Skinning.

If you are horde go around outside of Org and just mine copper. Spend maybe an hour running around and you should have a few stacks of copper, that should sell for some gold. You see people at level 70 like to power level their professions and have alot of gold. They spend this gold instead of going out and getting their own materials. Get your skinning up to max might take a while, but you are under 40 so it wont take forever. On my server you can sell a rugged leather for 1g a PIECE... thats 20g a stack for something that takes a 70 maybe 5 mins to farm in Winterspring. So again

a) Get mining and skinning
b) Spend a little bit of time and get them up to your level (40*5 = 200)
c) Sell your goods on the AH
d) DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE AH
Okay I'm gonna do it! I need a MONTAGE

yacobod

Banned
you can make money w/professions, but gathering or w/e else is still a boring time sink, i guess the entire game is a time sink, but that is a debate for another time

crafting professions are a waste for the most part now, they were nice early in expansion, but most of the crafted items are lower tier now, so probably not worth it atm, but things will change with WotLK i guess

the best way to ever make money in wow was selling arena points and personal rating, before i sold my warrior i was making 3k gold a week, and i never left ironforge or shattrah, besides for arenas or the ocassional bg

and stupid blizzard had to go and fuck things up

and w/the obsense amount of dailies availble to everyone, gold shouldnt be an issue for anyone at 70

i just dont have the will to go do the dailies or go fly around mining adamantite, so i only log on now to do the pvp daily each day, and play a few games of arena

probably the most casual i've played wow in a while, maybe play 5-6 hours max a week

JoeMartin

The Lamonster said:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm quickly approaching level 40, and I have about 50 gold. This money thing is really starting to stress me out. I want a mount as soon as possible (because I spend most of my time just running from place to place and it's boring and takes forever) and I just lost about 3 gold worth in deposits. It takes me a whole level to gain 3 gold.

I didn't start playing this game just to get all stressed about money issues. THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE REAL LIFE. Professions are boring and feel like a tack-on, the AH never sells my items so I always end up losing gold, and monsters never drop very much gold. And if I buy gold with real money from a website, I'm subject to hacking or banning.

I don't want to put this game down, but severe lack of funds is really cramping the fun. Fuck.

I never have a problem selling anything on the auction house. If you want a headache, sure try squeeze every last copper you can out of stuff you put up there, otherwise - undercut, undercut, and undercut some more. You'll sell most stuff in minutes (for significantly more than it would vendor for). And how the fuck did you loose 3 gold in deposits? Don't do 48 hour auctions. Wait until you're on at an earlier part of the day and do 12 hour auctions, or just do 24 hours auctions. And most importantly UNDERCUT.

As has also been mentioned here plenty of times, pick up collection professions. You have two options for this:

A) Skinning + mining OR herbalism. They both make money, though arguably mining makes more since a fuckload of people are BS's because they want to make shiny weapons. You can only track one thing at a time, so that's where skinning comes in. All you do is skin beasts that you kill. Simple enough. Mine things and skin the stuff you kill. Sell it on the AH. Simple as that.
B) Mining + herbalism. This IS doable, though it requires mods for it to work well. Like I said earlier, you can only track one kind of resource at a time, so this makes things trickier. Resources spawn at fixed locations around each zone, and mods will put markers on your map to show you where these locations are. However, the resources cycle through these locations, so you aren't guaranteed that it'll be at each point all the time. Because of this it is not practical to do until you have a means of rapid travel (epic mount/epic flying mount). I suggest option A.

ALSO IMPORTANT: Learn which green items to hoard and sell. Items that you should always hold onto and always AH are "of the bear," "of the monkey," and "of the eagle." These are always hot sellers/highest sellers since they're the best combinations of stats for specific classes. Though others will also sell, these are of priority. Weapons with these names especially.

And for the love of God, if you get a BOE blue DO NOT FUCKING EQUIP IT. I don't care how good it is, you're gonna get something better in a couple of levels and the copious amounts of gold that it will sell for will help you far more than the 4 extra stamina it has over the green you currently have on. Blues are tricky to sell too. Don't let it go for nothing, but don't get stingy with it. Sell it at a decent price you and shouldn't have it for too long.

Saw this the other day and I had to share.
WoWScrnShot_052808_162957.jpg

firex

I've seen way too many people with that Shattered Sun title on my server... maybe Kilrogg should be renamed Catassrogg.

Eric WK

Ton of people on Exodar with the title. Not sure how that's really any sort of big deal or surprising at all. I guess that coupled with the guild name is funny, but eh. You can make 1k gold in a week just by doing dailies.

Eric WK

Oni Link 666 said:
He's got the title and is riding an slow motion flying mount.

:lol

I'm not sure where one obtains the infamous "slow motion" flying mount. But yeah, I know what you meant and it's a fair point.

Alex

BUYING a title, when there are like.. a handful, at best, in the game is ridiculous.

There should be tons of super awesome titles, scattered about for you to obtain and pick what you think represents your acomplishments and play time best. I'd like the title system from FFXI, but with the WoW way of displaying it.

Blizzard disagrees though, says there should only be a few titles. I dunno how anyone else feels on this subject but that makes me sad. :( I want to see more and more terms of progression and rewarding, meaningful stuff but isn't fucking gear.

border

I like the Shattered Sun title. It's nothing more than a status symbol. Like having a platinum chain necklace -- just a way to tell people "I wipe my ass with 1000 gold!"

JoeMartin said:
I never have a problem selling anything on the auction house. If you want a headache, sure try squeeze every last copper you can out of stuff you put up there, otherwise - undercut, undercut, and undercut some more. You'll sell most stuff in minutes (for significantly more than it would vendor for). And how the fuck did you loose 3 gold in deposits? Don't do 48 hour auctions. Wait until you're on at an earlier part of the day and do 12 hour auctions, or just do 24 hours auctions. And most importantly UNDERCUT.

As has also been mentioned here plenty of times, pick up collection professions. You have two options for this:

A) Skinning + mining OR herbalism. They both make money, though arguably mining makes more since a fuckload of people are BS's because they want to make shiny weapons. You can only track one thing at a time, so that's where skinning comes in. All you do is skin beasts that you kill. Simple enough. Mine things and skin the stuff you kill. Sell it on the AH. Simple as that.
B) Mining + herbalism. This IS doable, though it requires mods for it to work well. Like I said earlier, you can only track one kind of resource at a time, so this makes things trickier. Resources spawn at fixed locations around each zone, and mods will put markers on your map to show you where these locations are. However, the resources cycle through these locations, so you aren't guaranteed that it'll be at each point all the time. Because of this it is not practical to do until you have a means of rapid travel (epic mount/epic flying mount). I suggest option A.

ALSO IMPORTANT: Learn which green items to hoard and sell. Items that you should always hold onto and always AH are "of the bear," "of the monkey," and "of the eagle." These are always hot sellers/highest sellers since they're the best combinations of stats for specific classes. Though others will also sell, these are of priority. Weapons with these names especially.

And for the love of God, if you get a BOE blue DO NOT FUCKING EQUIP IT. I don't care how good it is, you're gonna get something better in a couple of levels and the copious amounts of gold that it will sell for will help you far more than the 4 extra stamina it has over the green you currently have on. Blues are tricky to sell too. Don't let it go for nothing, but don't get stingy with it. Sell it at a decent price you and shouldn't have it for too long.
Thanks man. You really are a gaming hero.

Alex

Im staying the hell away from Dk for a little while. I dont know any specifics about their starting area, but if its just in the one cramped area of EPL like the info leads on, then it's going to be all kinds of retarded at first.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Alex said:
Im staying the hell away from Dk for a little while. I dont know any specifics about their starting area, but if its just in the one cramped area of EPL like the info leads on, then it's going to be all kinds of retarded at first.
yeah, my strategy for when WotLK comes out is to play through the Northrend content on my 70 Warlock and once I hit 80 to play around with the end game content a little.

After I'm bored of that I'll start a DK. I figure by that point the DK rush will be over, and any major balance issues or bugs with the class will be sorted out.

That way i'm also leaving the biggest gap possible between playing the same content again.

Spruchy

I know its crazy to ask here but I felt like ive asked everywhere else...

Anyone on Mal'Ganis horde that can get me in a vashj kill? Im a tier 6 holy pally exalted with scale of sand and the fact that im still missing the vial for one of the best healing rings in the game is just pathetic.

Thanks would appericiate it, if anyone can do it you can reply here or contact me in game name is Namii.

firex

even if the DK's starting area is going to be a crowded spot in EPL, I'll just go level in another zone. it's not like you're bound there once you get past all the training stuff.

JoeMartin

BigJonsson said:
What kind of gear is required for ZA?

A group that's well geared from Kara and has a good understanding of the ZA strats can finish it. You won't be knocking down the timed event in any way shape or form, but you'll still be able to finish the bosses regularly.

www.bosskillers.com Learn to love it.

Alex

I put an alpha patch post in the general forum topic. There's a couple of really, uh, alphay? spells in there. Like Warlock's cripple, for example. The Titan's Grip never struck me as odd, because it'd be easy to keep nerfing damage or attack speed and just wind up making it a fair upper tree boost, and to sop up the unwanated 2Hers in raids.

But that Cripple spell is gonna have to come down a few notches. Movement speed down by 75% and silenced? They're immune to Phys while under it but vulnurable to Magic, so even with PvP CC reduction, you could just Cripple a caster and fucking hammer on them with spells.

The melee shit is pretty ungodly as well. 30% chance on a melee crit for Warrior to use execute whenever? It's just alpha, and there's going to be a lot of wild buffs and changes, I'm sure, but it's hard not to absorb this with a current game mindset and not want to spit your drink out while reading it. :lol

Are the first 2 25-man TBC raids similar difficulty to Kara?

Like if I'm geared enough to run Kara, would I survive in Gruuls and Magfditheronian or however you spell it?

I really should just ask my guild lol

Tamanon

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Are the first 2 25-man TBC raids similar difficulty to Kara?

Like if I'm geared enough to run Kara, would I survive in Gruuls and Magfditheronian or however you spell it?

I really should just ask my guild lol

It depends on the rest of your guild really. Grull and Mags don't really require too heavy a gear-check.

JoeMartin

BigJonsson said:
Cool, so I won't be totally embarassed when I ask haha

Magtheridon used to require ridiculous gear, but has since been nerfed into the ground.

Grull's isn't a gear check so much as it is an IQ check. It covers the two basic important parts of raiding: 1) Complex pulls 2) constant situational awareness.

border

Alex said:
But that Cripple spell is gonna have to come down a few notches. Movement speed down by 75% and silenced? They're immune to Phys while under it but vulnurable to Magic, so even with PvP CC reduction, you could just Cripple a caster and fucking hammer on them with spells.
Am I even reading that right? It'd be a 20 second silence?! Even with diminishing returns, you could effectively remove a healer from an arena fight for at least half a minute. Maybe a teammate can try and dispell it, but with UA up they'll eat damage and a silence. And the lock can toss it right back up.

It's cool that they are giving Affliction Warlocks something for PVP, but they will be Target #1 now and have no survivability. I would have preferred Atrocity, almost.

firex

I'm still disappointed they took away the "fuck off and die, druids" button from death knights. I'm beginning to think if I want to play a pvp healer I should just make a druid and lolifebloom my way to victory.

gondwana

My guess is Cripple will be subject to PVP DRs, and the full 20 seconds might be referring to mobs? It doesn't seem too out of hand for a 51 pointer; people bitched and moaned about UA , while the Water Elemental and DI ended up being arguably the two best 41 pointers for PVP and PVE.

firex said:
I'm still disappointed they took away the "fuck off and die, druids" button from death knights. I'm beginning to think if I want to play a pvp healer I should just make a druid and lolifebloom my way to victory.

Gift of the Earthmother (new) - Reduces the global cooldown of your Rejuvenation and Lifebloom spells by .1/.2/.3/.4/.5 sec, and causes your Healing Touch and Nourish spells to refund 1/2/3/4/5% of their base cost for each healing over time effect on the target.

Now with more spam!

traveler

Not Wario
I just noticed that they're classifying the new death knight weapons as Runeswords and Runeaxes seperate from regular Axes and Swords- does this mean the human racial won't apply to those weapons?

border

Removing Shadow Vulnerability's effect on DOTs is a pretty huge nerf to warlocks and Shadow Priests :( Not sure why they did it.

Seeing how they won't even let Curse of Tongues stay on a PVP target for more than 10-12 seconds, I can't see why they would let Cripple yield a 20 second silence. But as a PVE skill it's pretty crappy (for a 51-point talent). In PVP, it's useless if you don't get the silence out of it (particularly if you already have Curse of Exhaustion, as any Affliction Lock in PVP would).

firex

humans aren't really cool enough to be DKs, with the only exception being Arthas. but I really doubt runesword/runeaxe is going to be some specific weapon type that only DKs can use. I hope not, anyway, because I really, really want to see dps warriors crying as DKs take their weapons.

and I'm sure the arena players in this topic can say that resto shamans are good/great in arena, but god it's frustrating to play them in BGs where you can run into all the dispel classes at once. I wish blizzard would just redesign earth shield and give shamans a HoT. like make earth shield a similar anti-pushback buff with no healing on each charge (mainly because it's like a really slow rejuv) and then just give shamans a HoT. I mainly say this because if they buffed the amount of healing that earth shield receives to make it more potent with each charge (so the healing on it would actually be worthwhile) it'd be crazy overpowered.

argh, where are the shaman/hunter/rogue changes in WotLK?!

Alex

If they removed the vuln effect for Shadow Priest in BC, right now, it'd kill the class. But with the changes in LK, it'll be more than fine. I am VERY pleased with how Blizzard has handled SPriest in LK's notes thus far

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
border said:
Am I even reading that right? It'd be a 20 second silence?! Even with diminishing returns, you could effectively remove a healer from an arena fight for at least half a minute.
CC spells like that are capped at 12 seconds max in PvP. with diminishing returns you could silence a target for a maximum of 21 seconds.

oh, and it can only be used on a single target at time, but with fear, charm and cripple the warlock is a CC powerhouse.

and yeah... this is an awesome combo with UA.

Xiaoki

border said:
But as a PVE skill it's pretty crappy (for a 51-point talent). In PVP, it's useless if you don't get the silence out of it (particularly if you already have Curse of Exhaustion, as any Affliction Lock in PVP would).
For PvE it's great. You can shut down any caster. Also, with the insane movement reduction combined with the teleport from the new spell Demonic Circle a Warlock could easily kite solo any elite caster without resorting to Fear.
CoE has a 30% movement reduction, Cripple has a 75% movement reduction so you can't really compare them.
Also, I'm pretty sure it will be nerfed long before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom