• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

border said:
Am I even reading that right? It'd be a 20 second silence?! Even with diminishing returns, you could effectively remove a healer from an arena fight for at least half a minute. Maybe a teammate can try and dispell it, but with UA up they'll eat damage and a silence. And the lock can toss it right back up.

It's cool that they are giving Affliction Warlocks something for PVP, but they will be Target #1 now and have no survivability. I would have preferred Atrocity, almost.

To be honest with you, Im more worried about what the hell I would hotkey it to on my affliction lock.

Im dead serious. Have a Hunter, Lock and a Rogue and only my warlock had pushed me to the brim of hotkeys. I dont have room for more spells without having to resort to (ugh) mouse clicking abilities. I wont stand for it. Not enough fingers for this nonsense.

Alex

I hate Azeroth, you'll become twisted and bitter like us if you get to Outlands and see just how much better it is. Better quests, better rewards, better art direction, and it's linear, I mean there's choice between the order of each set of zones you wanna do, but you ain't runnin' all over the map to find quests.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Puncture said:
Im dead serious. Have a Hunter, Lock and a Rogue and only my warlock had pushed me to the brim of hotkeys. I dont have room for more spells without having to resort to (ugh) mouse clicking abilities. I wont stand for it. Not enough fingers for this nonsense.
I'd hate to see you with a Shaman then. You know things are rough for a class when you decide what totems to put on your bars, and leaving half of them out to make it easier for you.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
TheOneGuy said:
Hahaha.

Man, I miss that feeling. ):

Dalaran is one of the few places where I still get that feeling in the game. Ditto when I look at the sky after passing through the dark portal into outlands.

Spruchy

Woot got my 2nd piece of tier 6 tonight, 2 set holy pally bonus is so nice. Also since our SR tank was not on we decided to do Vashj and I finally got my 2nd vial, instant exalted healing ring ftw, awesome night overall.

border

Xiaoki said:
For PvE it's great. You can shut down any caster. Also, with the insane movement reduction combined with the teleport from the new spell Demonic Circle a Warlock could easily kite solo any elite caster without resorting to Fear.
CoE has a 30% movement reduction, Cripple has a 75% movement reduction so you can't really compare them.
It's okay for solo PVE, but it's not like an Affliction warlock should be having problems in that area anyway. For group/raid PVE, Elites and Bosses are going to be immune to Silence, so it's useless.

As for PVP, the Affliction Lock is going to want to just cast any slowing spell and run away while dots tick. So long as your opponent is slower than you, the extent of the slowing effect doesn't matter that much; if you are moving faster they'll never catch up to you. Considering that Curse of Exhaustion is instant cast and Cripple is 1.5 seconds (which is forever in PVP), I think most people will still rely on CoE. If you really get a 12-second silence out of it, then it's still pretty awesome but I don't think the caster classes will stand for that. I assume it will be either directly nerfed or indirectly nerfed by giving casters/healers talents that reduce the duration of silence by x% (maybe they already have talents like that, as I know the melee classes can reduce Disarm duration).

Hero

Guild got to Illidan, after several hours of wipes our last attempt of the night was a 24 man attempt and we got him down to 8% before our tank got too close to him during a phase shift and died.

:(

CassSept

The hardest thing about Illidan is that he is, well, ILLIDAN, awesome, you know him from TBC, powerful character. Overreacting when he is almsot dying is HORRIBLE.
Yesterday everything was going very well. Up to 10% only one person died, but we had cr for him so no problem. Then all hell broke loose.
On demon phase people went like "oh fuck so few % dps dps dps" and started nuking boss isntead of shadow demons. Our MT died, well, at so little % no problem, we have FR tanks so they can hold him for these few %. No, we have to NUKE. Overaggro in a sec. Everybody is getting killed, one by one. But damn, only 1%! Screw parasites, everything, NUKE.
He healed himself to 5%. We wiped after this stupid long 20 mins fight because people started getting excited and started overreacting.

Seriously, he isn't too hard fight. IMO RoS is worst in whole T6 range :p
Although from tries on Kalecgos I have to say Sunwell looks way better in balancing the difficulty level, and the design of the fight is awesome, so high hopes we can gear up people asap and switch to Sunwell from MH/BT (you need few weeks of mh/bt farm sadly, kalec is very hard and brutallus impossible without it).

Alex said:
I hate Azeroth, you'll become twisted and bitter like us if you get to Outlands and see just how much better it is. Better quests, better rewards, better art direction, and it's linear, I mean there's choice between the order of each set of zones you wanna do, but you ain't runnin' all over the map to find quests.
Sounds cool. Couple issues though:

1) The one time I went there, it was with a friend and he teleported me. How would I normally reach Outlands??

2) When we were there, it was EXTREMELY laggy and unplayable. What gives?

3) What level should I be before I go there? 38 now - should I wait until I'm lvl 60 to visit Outlands?

Tamanon

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Sounds cool. Couple issues though:

1) The one time I went there, it was with a friend and he teleported me. How would I normally reach Outlands??

2) When we were there, it was EXTREMELY laggy and unplayable. What gives?

3) What level should I be before I go there? 38 now - should I wait until I'm lvl 60 to visit Outlands?

It was laggy because you were in the city, Shattrath, that place is always packed, plus it has a ton of useless NPCs cluttering things. Later on, you'll get to Outland through the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands, but you'll need to be level 58 to walk through it. Once you're there you can hearth in Outlands. I usually go at level 58 for the first few quests since the rewards are such huge upgrades, then go back to Azeroth until level 60 personally.

Tamanon said:
It was laggy because you were in the city, Shattrath, that place is always packed, plus it has a ton of useless NPCs cluttering things. Later on, you'll get to Outland through the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands, but you'll need to be level 58 to walk through it. Once you're there you can hearth in Outlands. I usually go at level 58 for the first few quests since the rewards are such huge upgrades, then go back to Azeroth until level 60 personally.
Thanks, as always ;)

This game just gets better and better the more I play. I remember first starting and killing baby cats or something and thinking, "this? this is what the hype is all about? shit doesn't even have voice chat!!"

bengraven

Anyone else hear about a possible destruction of the major capital cities?

Edit: Guess not. He was probably fucking with me and seeing if I revealed anything to GAF he's revealed to me so far.

Hero

CassSept said:
The hardest thing about Illidan is that he is, well, ILLIDAN, awesome, you know him from TBC, powerful character. Overreacting when he is almsot dying is HORRIBLE.
Yesterday everything was going very well. Up to 10% only one person died, but we had cr for him so no problem. Then all hell broke loose.
On demon phase people went like "oh fuck so few % dps dps dps" and started nuking boss isntead of shadow demons. Our MT died, well, at so little % no problem, we have FR tanks so they can hold him for these few %. No, we have to NUKE. Overaggro in a sec. Everybody is getting killed, one by one. But damn, only 1%! Screw parasites, everything, NUKE.
He healed himself to 5%. We wiped after this stupid long 20 mins fight because people started getting excited and started overreacting.

Seriously, he isn't too hard fight. IMO RoS is worst in whole T6 range :p
Although from tries on Kalecgos I have to say Sunwell looks way better in balancing the difficulty level, and the design of the fight is awesome, so high hopes we can gear up people asap and switch to Sunwell from MH/BT (you need few weeks of mh/bt farm sadly, kalec is very hard and brutallus impossible without it).

Yeah, basically what happened, although I think if the 25th had come it would've been our first Illidan kill. Tonight he shall die.

Twig

Banned
bengraven said:
Anyone else hear about a possible destruction of the major capital cities?
!!!

!

wait

Is this a new PvP mechanic?

Or is this that Chris Metzen interview where he said something like (paraphrased): "Wouldn't it be awesome if you just logged in one day and Stormwind was in ruins? Unfortunately, we can never do anything like that because the player backlash would be too much."

Damned if I can remember where I heard/read that, though.

EDIT: OH YOU TRICKED ME YOU MONSTER ;-;

Alex

Spirit Tap and then Wand Spec to start, then plod down along the Shadow tree getting essentials (Imp. SW:p, the -resist talent, VE, Shadow Reach).

You mostly just DoT+Wand+Occasiona MB when leveling prior to 40. Mindflay is useless until you get all of the scaling properties.

Once you're 40 respec to a typical full Shadow build (Shadow Form), then put your points back into Wand Spec for the next levels, then fill out the rest of the goodies in the Shadow Tree.

Back to disc and fill out the easy usefuls there, for the rest.

"player backlash would be too much."

I see more player backlash from catering to the handful of stupid fucks who actually whine when a vendor dies and they're inconvenienced for 5 minutes.

Brutallus to 14%; healing becoming "muscle memory". Need more Spriests to log on at the same time, though so meteor slash only needs healed that last swing really.

Alex said:
I see more player backlash from catering to the handful of stupid fucks who actually whine when a vendor dies and they're inconvenienced for 5 minutes.

Yup. They now see whining as a legitimate way of getting buffs from the devs; even if the corrollary between blizz making the game less consuming (3 tokens off boss, blue pvp gear buyable at Honored rep, etc) and their whining are not connected phenomena.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
LiveWire said:
Just rolled a BE priest, any tips on leveling/specs?

For leveling, spec Shadow. Make sure to use a wand too. As for zones to level in, it's a matter of personal preference. I stayed in Ghostlands tills about lvl 16, got bored, went to Barrens, then bounced around till I hit 58, and went to Outlands. Once you start working your way up the talent tree, Shadow Priest levels pretty fast.

bengraven

TheOneGuy said:
!!!

!

wait

Is this a new PvP mechanic?

Or is this that Chris Metzen interview where he said something like (paraphrased): "Wouldn't it be awesome if you just logged in one day and Stormwind was in ruins? Unfortunately, we can never do anything like that because the player backlash would be too much."

Damned if I can remember where I heard/read that, though.

EDIT: OH YOU TRICKED ME YOU MONSTER ;-;

I didn't trick you. I edited it because no one was responding.

I promised I would keep my mouth shut, but I just wanted to see if someone heard something about the possible destruction of Orgrimmar (which I assume would also include SW, though my friends only play Horde).

Basically, he spoke to Mr. Hellscream in WS Hold who said something about the Scourge paying for the "destruction of Orgrimmar".

(what Hellscream said was edited so my friend can't find this site easily)

Twig

Banned
bengraven said:
I didn't trick you. I edited it because no one was responding.

I promised I would keep my mouth shut, but I just wanted to see if someone heard something about the possible destruction of Orgrimmar (which I assume would also include SW, though my friends only play Horde).

Basically, he spoke to Mr. Hellscream in WS Hold who said something about the Scourge paying for the "destruction of Orgrimmar".

(what Hellscream said was edited so my friend can't find this site easily)
Hrm. The Scourge. \:

There goes my hopes for it being PvP-based. Still maybe cool though.

By the way, non-GAF members can't read the online forum. Or at least that was the case before I got membership!

bengraven

TheOneGuy said:
Hrm. The Scourge. \:

There goes my hopes for it being PvP-based. Still maybe cool though.

By the way, non-GAF members can't read the online forum. Or at least that was the case before I got membership!

You know: I forgot about that. Fine:

"Arthas will pay for the razing of Orgrimmar!" was his exact words.

We're thinking the patch right before LK comes out will involve:

1) a major event ala Kruul's attacks on major cities prior to BC's release
2) Org/SW possibly being revamped? I know Stormwind is getting a harbor and since the Horde now have a "dark iron" look to their structures in Northrend and this could be the lore excuse to update Org to match that look.

JoeMartin said:
An Outlands thing. A really really cool Outlands thing.

(btw what class/faction/server are you?)
Hunter/Alliance/Stormscale

anybody else on Stormscale?

edit: Just watched some bombing runs on YouTube. Looks awesome.

Magnus

Hero said:
Guild got to Illidan, after several hours of wipes our last attempt of the night was a 24 man attempt and we got him down to 8% before our tank got too close to him during a phase shift and died.

:(

Dude, Hero, which guild/server are you on? That was exactly our night the other night too, 8%, and the wipe happened the same way.

Illidan down tonight however, at long last. :D

CassSept

Hero said:
Yeah, basically what happened, although I think if the 25th had come it would've been our first Illidan kill. Tonight he shall die.
Heh, easily on shotted him yesterday. He is so damn easy, although i like the feel of the fight (and the music pwns!). Too bad no warglaive, cursed vision of sargeras or enough T6 chest tokens so i can get it. Well, at least tomorrow second T6 bonus (unless no vanq heads drop, which is nearly impossible) and pew pew imba dps

Hero

Magnus said:
Dude, Hero, which guild/server are you on? That was exactly our night the other night too, 8%, and the wipe happened the same way.

Illidan down tonight however, at long last. :D

Firetree/Centenum.

We tried him again last night and our offtank that we took the other night kept DCing so we brought in another bear tank for the fire elemental and he had to learn the fight so that was about two hours of wiping. He seriously could not dodge those eye beams for the life of him.

Magnus

We have the fight handily now, once we fucking get to p3. P2 is still a chore for our tanks on occasion. :(

Suramar, Three Inches of Blood here, Alliance.

traveler

Not Wario
So I've been doing some reading here and there and I can't find a flatout answer to this- is there any way to complete ZA without stepping foot in a 25 man? Reason I ask is that it's next to impossible for me to get into 25 mans, seeing as how I have no guild, but, between my friends guilds and their help, I can do the 10 mans. (The most obvious solution is join a guild, but I can't do that because I'm planning on quitting till I get back to college in a few weeks and I don't want to join a guild only to bail on them just a little bit later)

Chris R

traveler said:
So I've been doing some reading here and there and I can't find a flatout answer to this- is there any way to complete ZA without stepping foot in a 25 man? Reason I ask is that it's next to impossible for me to get into 25 mans, seeing as how I have no guild, but, between my friends guilds and their help, I can do the 10 mans. (The most obvious solution is join a guild, but I can't do that because I'm planning on quitting till I get back to college in a few weeks and I don't want to join a guild only to bail on them just a little bit later)
Complete I think, but not a 4 chest run

traveler said:

Gear wise yes. I mean people have done Black Temple while skipping SSC/TK. Skill wise ZA defeats a lot of pugs though :(

What class are you? Tanks obviously will have the hardest time, Healers a bit less, and DPS a bit less also.

traveler

Not Wario
teacupcopter said:
Gear wise yes. I mean people have done Black Temple while skipping SSC/TK. Skill wise ZA defeats a lot of pugs though :(

What class are you? Tanks obviously will have the hardest time, Healers a bit less, and DPS a bit less also.

A 40/0/21 'Lock.

Hero

traveler said:

You can definitely do ZA without stepping foot into a 25 man instance, as my character outgears SSC/TK/ZA and has never stepped inside any of those instances prior to a few weeks ago. It's all about getting the best drops from Kara along with heroic badge rewards and maybe even using some PVP gear just to fill in slots (mostly on crap like bracers or neck or something).

Remember, the new badge rewards are T6 quality.

That aside though, as a warlock your dps should be pretty decent, and you have some utility in the form of soulstone/healthstone/curse for the raid, so you shouldn't have a problem. Just read up on the fights so you don't mess up.

But if you're quitting until you get back to college, why bother until then?

Tamanon

Banned
Weird, so after getting my account back, I took a look at two of the characters, level 1 alts that had been created on the same account and it seems that along with getting all my gold back, apparently he used some of it to buy ore to prospect and sell the blue gems.....strange....so although I overall lost 3 or 4 bags for some reason, I gained about 800 gold.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
kinoki said:
Is that even a spec? I thought there were two specs warlocks could have in PvE, a third one if you count the retro 40/0/21 (UA does more damage then ruin but old school people deny this for some odd reason.)

Those are:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IZbxczIdzZEx0trozhbA (0/21/40)
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IAMr0RfuVtcoZxx0tr (41/0/20)
Up until you're geared in T5/T6 gear, 30/21/10 would out dps both of those. It's basically +10% shadow damage from Affliction, +15% shadow damage from Demonology, and the Imp. Shadow Bolt talent and cast time reductions from Destro.

0/21/40 shadowbolt spam spec becomes pretty awesome later on though.

border

Only 3 points in Suppression? Given how it seems like everyone is supposed to focus on getting to the hit cap ASAP, that seems like an odd choice for a UA/Destro build.

witness

So I got my hunter to 70 on monday. Been running Quel Danas dailies which are amazing. Loved the Kael fight at the end of MGT, won the phoenix hatchling off him. I've won so much stuff from instances this week and bought 4 pieces of the stalkers gear, earned the gladiator shoulders, 8 badges of justice, and boots and bracers from heroics. Its been a busy week so far :lol

I also decided to respec to marks today, 20/41/0. I like the spec in that my pet is still pretty good while gaining a ton of ap.

firex

if it's AV weekend this weekend, I'm probably gonna earn enough honor (with my stockpiled badges) to get a gladiator axe, both rings and a piece of gladiator's linked set. and then I'll probably respec enhance to farm some gold and rep and in general have a little more fun than I do playing resto in pve.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
dave is ok said:
Up until you're geared in T5/T6 gear, 30/21/10 would out dps both of those. It's basically +10% shadow damage from Affliction, +15% shadow damage from Demonology, and the Imp. Shadow Bolt talent and cast time reductions from Destro.

0/21/40 shadowbolt spam spec becomes pretty awesome later on though.

I've been in T6 for too long. ^^ Shadowbolt spam ftw, with a little Corruption ticking in the back. http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=38394 + http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=40478 helps a long way.

dave is ok said:
Only 3 points in Suppression? Given how it seems like everyone is supposed to focus on getting to the hit cap ASAP, that seems like an odd choice for a UA/Destro build.

Well, since most of the damage comes from shadow bolts (35-45%) you still need 202 to be hit-capped. 3 points will get you a long way.

traveler

Not Wario
I didn't think Suppression even affected SBs?

Speaking of SB spam, I've been thinking about switching to that 0/21/40 spec mentioned above thanks to the Elitist Jerks data- about when, gear wise, does it start to outperform the UA/Destro build? I'm not hit capped yet and I'm kinda lacking in the way of crit, but I'd like to try it out as soon as possible. (The group I regularly run with outgears the heroics and kara by quite a margin, so my affliction build isn't really getting a chance to shine outside of bosses.)

border

Suppression only affects Affliction spells (dots). I assume the idea is that you put 3 points in Suppression until you get to the hit cap, then move them somewhere else.

A spec like that is nice if you are undergeared, but it's kind of tiring to make sure every dot is up and somehow fit Shadowbolts in between all the dots. I think I understand why everyone looks to move towards a spec that is pure SB spam.....though you obviously need the gear for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom