• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Richiban said:
Man, I got a little overexcited in my first battle with Prince in Kara last night and accidently needed the Helm of the Fallen Champion when it wasn't even my class.

Luckily I was with a good group and a quick open ticket later, I managed to get the gear to the member who needed it. It's nice to run pick up raids with cool people like that.

lol, they even invited me to their guild after my eff up.
I did my first kara last night too, with like 7 of one guild and pug everything else. Was thinking of joining their guild until they let another mage in greens who had been there for chess and prince roll on the caster weapon(I out dpsed him by only 125k on Prince) . Atleast i got 20 badges...

Richiban

After that run, I've been seriously considering bailing on my guild to finding a casual raiding guild.

The one that I was in last night seemed to be pretty cool, but I don't want to be in a guild that takes raiding too seriously as I really don't have the time to be hung up on that scene.

Do those types of guilds exist on any of your guy's servers?

JoeMartin

Richiban said:
After that run, I've been seriously considering bailing on my guild to finding a casual raiding guild.

The one that I was in last night seemed to be pretty cool, but I don't want to be in a guild that takes raiding too seriously as I really don't have the time to be hung up on that scene.

Do those types of guilds exist on any of your guy's servers?

"Casual-raiding" is an oxymoron. No such thing exists. And if you does, you don't want to be anywhere near it.

If you're going to be spending hours in a raid instance, you better hope that the other people in there with you all have their heads in the game as well and that you're all in it to get it done, otherwise raiding altogether is just going to be one giant failure cascade for your guild.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, my guild is a raiding guild, but you don't have to raid to be in it. There's basically 4 different Kara runs at the minimum every week, then there's also the SSC/Hyjal/Black Temple runs for those that want to do that.

JoeMartin

Tamanon said:
Eh, my guild is a raiding guild, but you don't have to raid to be in it. There's basically 4 different Kara runs at the minimum every week, then there's also the SSC/Hyjal/Black Temple runs for those that want to do that.

Yeah there's guilds that take a whole bunch of 26th men, where attendance isn't necessarily a requirement for every member, and that's perfectly understandable.

But putting yourself into a guild that "doesn't take raiding seriously" is just asking for a world of pain. I'm not saying you should be putting in 5 hour nights 5 times a week, just that for the sake of yourself and everyone else in your group, you should take raids very seriously to the end that is getting the content done. Sure, you don't have to raid on a strict schedule, but when you're in the raid, focus on getting the job done.

Chris R

JoeMartin said:
"Casual-raiding" is an oxymoron. No such thing exists. And if you does, you don't want to be anywhere near it.
I was actually in a Casual raiding guild pre bc, and we were able to clear MC/BWL/Ony/AQ40 and down a few bosses in Naxx.

Casual dose refer to time spent, but also to attitude. Sure it took us longer to learn how to kill Nef, and yes we did wipe ALOT, but the time spent was well worth it, even if we were months behind(the guild name btw).

Prince pwned my raid group tonight, it was my first chance to do the 2nd half of Kara

First I kept dying from shadow nova

Then when I got the hang of that, the warlocks kept pulling aggro :(

And then the infernals spawned right in front of us :(

We had to quit when some people had to leave

So I have this Greater Mystic Essence...and I can't find a merchant that will buy it from me. I had somebody d/e something for me and he gave me this in return. I don't have the enchanting skill...so who would take this off my hands? Is my only option to sell it to the Auction House?

Tamanon

Banned
The Lamonster said:
So I have this Greater Mystic Essence...and I can't find a merchant that will buy it from me. I had somebody d/e something for me and he gave me this in return. I don't have the enchanting skill...so who would take this off my hands? Is my only option to sell it to the Auction House?

Gotta sell it on the AH! Enchanting stuff can't be vendored. But it usually sells for a good amount of cash on the AH. Plus there aren't any fees for posting it, just a share of what it sells for.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
JoeMartin said:

If you're going to be spending hours in a raid instance, you better hope that the other people in there with you all have their heads in the game as well and that you're all in it to get it done, otherwise raiding altogether is just going to be one giant failure cascade for your guild.

I actually agree with this. Raiding with people that don't really give two shits about actually putting effort into it is just a waste of time.

border

Richiban said:
Man, I got a little overexcited in my first battle with Prince in Kara last night and accidently needed the Helm of the Fallen Champion when it wasn't even my class.

Luckily I was with a good group and a quick open ticket later, I managed to get the gear to the member who needed it. It's nice to run pick up raids with cool people like that.

lol, they even invited me to their guild after my eff up.
Damn, I didn't even think the game would let you receive items that weren't designated for your class.

Tamanon said:
Gotta sell it on the AH! Enchanting stuff can't be vendored. But it usually sells for a good amount of cash on the AH. Plus there aren't any fees for posting it, just a share of what it sells for.
Cool, thanks.

I just got into creating macros. I love it. Here's my new attack button:

Code:
/dismount [mounted]
/petattack
/castsequence Hunter's Mark(Rank 3), Aimed Shot(Rank 3), Serpent Sting(Rank 6), Arcane Shot(Rank 5)

Richiban

I guess I don't mean casual in the sense where I wouldn't give a shit about it, because I definately would. I may have misspoke when I said casual. I mean are most raiding guilds the types where raid attendance is a requirement, or are there guilds that would allow you to raid when you're able as opposed to raiding when you have to.

I don't want to be the type of player that would show up and have to leave halfway through, but to be able to help out whenever I have the time.

Alex

I still love looking around some of the WoW sites and watching the "hardcore" people whine about expansion changes.

The average vocal hardcore in WoW, being less about difficulty or legitimately higher end play, and more about being as counter-intuitive, rabidly unfriendly and utterly wasteful of time as possible. I've never seen such a laughably faux sense of superiority.

Really happy to see the negative effects Everquest drug over the genre, finally shifting out. Best thing I ever did in terms of MMO enjoyment was quit high end raiding. 10 man's alone will bring some of my pals back into PvE, and I really look forward to it.

firex

It's possible. Not sure how often that happens but I know there are a few raid guilds that don't have mandatory attendance. I think only the really strict ones, usually the ones furthest along in raid progress of all guilds on the server, are the ones that have mandatory attendance.

edit: so I checked out the wotlk alpha leaks wiki and noticed something - holy shit there are no totem spells OR weapon buff upgrades listed for shamans under the new ranks of old spells part of the site. They really might be completely redoing both of those systems...

double edit: and I notice the exact same stuff was pasted in the gaming forum topic. Guess that's what I get for not checking that den of inequity!

witness

So tomorrow we're going back to Kara, but its going to be reset. Not enough people were on this weekend to run it anyway. I'm okay with doing it from the start again because the steelhawk bow didn't drop last time of Attuman. Since last week though all of my gear is different except for my shoulder, which were glad. shoulders anyway. I had an engineer make me a khorium destroyer today in case its going to be a a while before the big bad wolf gun or the steelhawk bow drops.

Cannot wait to see where I end up on the dmg meters with all my upgrades this week.

Ramirez

10 man versions of all the 25 man shit is seriously the best decision they've ever made, even if the loot is weaker, I don't have to put up with 10-15 tards that I hate.

Alex said:
I still love looking around some of the WoW sites and watching the "hardcore" people whine about expansion changes.

The average vocal hardcore in WoW, being less about difficulty or legitimately higher end play, and more about being as counter-intuitive, rabidly unfriendly and utterly wasteful of time as possible. I've never seen such a laughably faux sense of superiority.

Really happy to see the negative effects Everquest drug over the genre, finally shifting out. Best thing I ever did in terms of MMO enjoyment was quit high end raiding. 10 man's alone will bring some of my pals back into PvE, and I really look forward to it.

I really wonder about people who think something in WoW is cooler when less people get to see it. You don't see this kind of attitude with other gamers. I don't see anyone saying "Oh man, the last stage in Super Mario Galaxy was the coolest 'cause I was one of the few who ever got to see it." or some shit like that. It pisses me off that Blizzard has catered to these people for so long too. I've done that rant already in this thread though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
firex said:
edit: so I checked out the wotlk alpha leaks wiki and noticed something - holy shit there are no totem spells OR weapon buff upgrades listed for shamans under the new ranks of old spells part of the site. They really might be completely redoing both of those systems...

double edit: and I notice the exact same stuff was pasted in the gaming forum topic. Guess that's what I get for not checking that den of inequity!
:lol

And then there's this little blue post on the WoW forums from one of the class designers (supposedly).

Blizzard said:
Totems are in the physical school now.

Hero

witness said:
So tomorrow we're going back to Kara, but its going to be reset. Not enough people were on this weekend to run it anyway. I'm okay with doing it from the start again because the steelhawk bow didn't drop last time of Attuman. Since last week though all of my gear is different except for my shoulder, which were glad. shoulders anyway. I had an engineer make me a khorium destroyer today in case its going to be a a while before the big bad wolf gun or the steelhawk bow drops.

Cannot wait to see where I end up on the dmg meters with all my upgrades this week.

Wait, you're a hunter and you're thinking about equipping a Khorium Destroyer?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oni Link 666 said:
I really wonder about people who think something in WoW is cooler when less people get to see it. You don't see this kind of attitude with other gamers. I don't see anyone saying "Oh man, the last stage in Super Mario Galaxy was the coolest 'cause I was one of the few who ever got to see it." or some shit like that. It pisses me off that Blizzard has catered to these people for so long too. I've done that rant already in this thread though.

You have to be kidding if you think Blizz has catered to the hardcore, let alone for "too long."

Twig

Banned
commish said:
You have to be kidding if you think Blizz has catered to the hardcore, let alone for "too long."
They kind of do and they kind of don't. With the next expansion they're definitely making raiding a LOT easier (with the 10- and 25-man versions for EVERY raid dungeon).

For a long time, though, raiding was nearly impossible to get into for the casual player.

And arenas aren't exactly a casual thing if you want to get geared up in a reasonable amount of time. You have to practice to be good. It's pretty discouraging to lose 90% of arenas because you HAVEN'T spent a month or two practicing. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, but it's hardly casual friendly. BGs are pretty easy, I s'pose.

On the other hand, everything Blizzard does regarding world PvP is to cater to the lowest common denominator. And by that I mean the people who don't like world PvP. And by that I mean the "non-hardcore," as it were.

witness

Hero said:
Wait, you're a hunter and you're thinking about equipping a Khorium Destroyer?

Still a nice dps upgrade from the revered crossbow from SSO, as I said its a side upgrade until something drops for me in kara, hopefully tonight. Its good for pvp to, since I'm running bg's half the time, with all that stamina and crits, especially aimed shot crits, hit like a sledgehammer. Its got good speed as well since I'm BM, 2.03 firing speed.

Cipherr

10 man versions of all of the 25 man raids will be nice. But combine that with doing away with the silly attunements for end game content as well. Nothing like having to go through tons of crap to raid with a guild you just joined. I didnt mind the old school attunements like MC that could be done solo with a few pots and some trickery. But requiring so much nonsense to even take a shot at some of the content is crazy. I heard they did away with the Kara keys and all of that, and thats why its being PUG'd now, I cant confirm that, but if so thats really nice.

No need to take so many steps to keep people from seeing some of the end game content.

Twig

Banned
Puncture said:
10 man versions of all of the 25 man raids will be nice. But combine that with doing away with the silly attunements for end game content as well. Nothing like having to go through tons of crap to raid with a guild you just joined. I didnt mind the old school attunements like MC that could be done solo with a few pots and some trickery. But requiring so much nonsense to even take a shot at some of the content is crazy. I heard they did away with the Kara keys and all of that, and thats why its being PUG'd now, I cant confirm that, but if so thats really nice.

No need to take so many steps to keep people from seeing some of the end game content.
Yup. Actually, I believe they ARE doing away with attunements. Not 100%, though.

I know that as time went on, they patched out more and more attunements. They also made it easier to unlock heroics (honored instead of revered). I haven't played in a while, but I think SSC no longer requires attunement. Maybe BT? Not sure about that.

I'm having pet training issues. He's barely gaining any training points when he levels up, and he's really far behind in a lot of stuff (Stamina, Resistances etc.). He's been loyalty level 6 for a long time, and I don't see why he barely gets any training points after leveling up. I always keep him fed and Happy too.

What can I do/what am I doing wrong??

Twig

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
No, mini-raids like this are a bad idea. What would be better? Baby Malygos or another ZA? Yeah.
Well, what would be best is if they did away with 25-mans altogether. But that ain't happenin', so this is all we can hope for.

b.e.r.g

TheOneGuy said:
Yup. Actually, I believe they ARE doing away with attunements. Not 100%, though.

I know that as time went on, they patched out more and more attunements. They also made it easier to unlock heroics (honored instead of revered). I haven't played in a while, but I think SSC no longer requires attunement. Maybe BT? Not sure about that.
Nope, BT and Hyjal attunements are all gone.
I hope they will do as they did with the new 5 man, Magisters Terrace, give you a quest to kill the last boss, where the reward is a key to unlocks heroic mode =)

I really didnt need to do the TBC dungeons untill I was reverd to "prepare" myself for heroic =P

Amakusa

Tamanon said:
As soon as the shammy hits 40 as enhancement, leveling at least triples in pace. Then 50 when you get that talent that regains mana it ramps up again. 60-62 run a little slower as you upgrade gear, but then once you get water shield, you never stop running.

Don't worry about gear upgrades, I have 5 toons in outlands, 3 level 70 and 2 working on. Once my shaman hits 55 portal to shat, I then ride to Thrallmar picking up flight paths along the way. I grind 55-58 killing demon's, why?

Because its the best exp in game, the best gold in game (for level), and green gear/weapons drop all the time. So I'll be upgrading myself before hitting 58 just from green drops. Sometimes blue

firex

b.e.r.g said:
Nope, BT and Hyjal attunements are all gone.
I hope they will do as they did with the new 5 man, Magisters Terrace, give you a quest to kill the last boss, where the reward is a key to unlocks heroic mode =)

I really didnt need to do the TBC dungeons untill I was reverd to "prepare" myself for heroic =P
The only real upside to having to farm those dungeons until revered was tanks/healers typically got enough shots at drops that they could be in full blues (or close) by the time they hit revered. obviously not a big issue for most dps classes, or with the advent of honored pvp sets (good enough placeholders until better gear is available) but undergeared tanks/healers for heroics are painful to play as.

edit:
speedpop said:
:lol

And then there's this little blue post on the WoW forums from one of the class designers (supposedly).
Yeah, but this actually looks like a (very minor) buff! No more totems getting locked out from spell interrupts. just silences. of course, it doesn't fix the main problems of totems (5 hp, shitty range, too many ineffective ones in both pvp and pve) but it addresses at least on issue. I've seen this happen before, though. Blizzard will only fix the minor stuff that's easy and leave the total revamps for major stuff later. Maybe 3.0 (that is, the patch we get before WotLK that gives us new talents and probably a short window of virtually free epix) will bring with it whatever beginnings of a WotLK overhaul we'll get.

my new suggestion is as follows:
Earth - MS totem - summons a MS warrior to assist you and spam MS/hamstring
Water - Lolifebloom totem - summons a resto druid to spam lifebloom, rejuv and swiftmend on you
Fire - Mage totem - summons a fire mage to assist you with pyroblast, polymorph and frost nova
Air - Stunlock totem - summons a ShS rogue to stunlock anyone who attacks you

Cipherr

The Lamonster said:
I'm having pet training issues. He's barely gaining any training points when he levels up, and he's really far behind in a lot of stuff (Stamina, Resistances etc.). He's been loyalty level 6 for a long time, and I don't see why he barely gets any training points after leveling up. I always keep him fed and Happy too.

What can I do/what am I doing wrong??

Your pet will only get a few points per level, they have a set number of points they will have at a certain level, and you arent meant to have enough points to train them up in everything (stamina resists abilities etc)

The pets training points are limited. And its done that way to force you to spec your pet the same way you spec your character. You will only have a certain amount of points to work with, so plan out what you want your pet to be used for and spend the points accordingly.

For example I have a Ravager pet that is used for instance DPS. The ravager family gets an innate 10% damage bonus and gore is currently just above claw in its dps output. The Ravager has no points spent in stamina or armor because he wont ever be tanking anything (if hes tanking anything in a heroic its dead in 3 hits no matter what) so all of his points are spent on the dps upgrades and common resists found in end game heroics.

Then I have another pet I use for solo PvE specced for armor Stamina and mild resistances for use outside of groups and instances.

I personally use this site for planning out a pet spec:

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/html/articles/resources/petcalc_visual.php

A pet talent calculator (if your running noscript in firefox you will need to adjust permissions in order for it to show). You can plan out what you want your pet to have, and also see what special traits each class of pet has, for example Cats have a built in -2% to health, but a +10% in damage.

Richiban

I checked around with a few guilds today to see if I can join and help out with raids and runs, but the most common response was in regards to my gear and spec.

I love being a sub rogue for the survivalbility with 10 points in combat to up my DPS a little bit. Whenever I'm grouped, I'm usually on of the top2 in DPS output. I haven't seriously considered raiding until now, which explains why most of my gear is S1 and PVP stuff.

Can one of you WoW pros check out my armory page and let me know if I've got something stupid going on?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz+Modan&n=Boomuppercut

Alex

PvP gear isn't very good for PvE, outside of like just the weapons and a few mainstays, Vindicator pieces are advanced enough to be very fine though I assume.

I've lost most of my Rogue knowledge, but your hit rating is really low, I'd really work on that, and I would go Combat if you wanted to raid. Since Combat is good for PvP too, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Also, your gemming is really bad. Really, really bad. Why do you have a defense gem!? Don't ever gem or enchant STR either. AGI or Hit rating in your case, I would assume. Stats for chest, AP where you can't get AGI, etc.

Richiban said:
I checked around with a few guilds today to see if I can join and help out with raids and runs, but the most common response was in regards to my gear and spec.

I love being a sub rogue for the survivalbility with 10 points in combat to up my DPS a little bit. Whenever I'm grouped, I'm usually on of the top2 in DPS output. I haven't seriously considered raiding until now, which explains why most of my gear is S1 and PVP stuff.

Can one of you WoW pros check out my armory page and let me know if I've got something stupid going on?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz+Modan&n=Boomuppercut

Well your spec sucks for any serious PVE. Respec combat swords if you actually want to get into a good PVE guild. Even if you want to stay that spec get rid of the dagger, they're weaker than fists, swords, and maces with that spec still. Crit is pretty low, get rid of the riding crop, and pretty much replace all your gear. Find some scrub gear to run you through Kara or some noob raid like that for better PVE gear. Oh, and youre AP and hit are pretty damn low.

Richiban

Yipes...sounds like I got a bit of work to do then.

I'll look tonight when I'm on for more AP and AGI if that's what you guys recommend.

Alex

Richiban said:
Yipes...sounds like I got a bit of work to do then.

I'll look tonight when I'm on for more AP and AGI if that's what you guys recommend.

Hit rating, more than anything at the moment. White damage is your chum! Like if you had one of those quester Hit Rating trinkets to go in the place of the Riding Crop, that would be OK.

Most of your gear is very fine for starting off well in Karazhan, or the such. Don't try to jump headlong into 25 man's in it, though. Gotta work from the start. It ain't too hard.

Richiban

Awesome!

Alex and DarkAngelYuna, I appreciate the feedback very much. I don't think I'm going to go so far as respeccing, but we'll see what happens. I will definately rearrange some enchantments and gem slots for sure. Who knows, Combat Swords would be awesome though I love shadowstep =)

Thanks much guys!

keiichi

Alex said:
Hit rating, more than anything at the moment. White damage is your chum! Like if you had one of those quester Hit Rating trinkets to go in the place of the Riding Crop, that would be OK.

Most of your gear is very fine for starting off well in Karazhan, or the such. Don't try to jump headlong into 25 man's in it, though. Gotta work from the start. It ain't too hard.

You should be good/ok for kara, would be nicer if you could up your hit a little bit.. but its low because as you stated you're in pvp gear.

I would gem for Glinting Noble Topaz (+4agility/+4 hit) if you're gemming for bonus other wise use the Rigid Dawnstone (+8)

Just curious as to why you have a dagger MH? what do you normally open with? if you have money to enchant i'd recommend mongoose, or if you have the honor wait till the S2 pieces are available the enchant those instead.

I wouldn't spend too much money upgrading things if you'll be running kara or heroics on a consistent basis. You'll know the things you should be rolling for but here's a short list:
Worgen Claw Necklace , Edgewalker Longboots, T4 Gloves, Garona's Signet Ring, the Cape off Shade, Skulkers Graves, T4 Helm .. i'm sure i'm forgetting the others

Hope that helps!

Oh, enchants! (from a PVE perspective)
Boots - the swiftness ones either Boar (+6 stam) or Cat (+6 agility) but that's very expensive :(
Gloves - +15 Agility
Helm - Cenarion rep thing
Shoulders - either Scryer or Aldor enchant

firex

Alex said:
If totems are phys, they'll be able to be used while silenced as well. That's a pretty good start.
nope. shouts/thunderclap can't be used while silenced and those are physical. It's just a mild buff against interrupts locking a shaman out of totems.

Kletian

Richiban said:
Awesome!

Alex and DarkAngelYuna, I appreciate the feedback very much. I don't think I'm going to go so far as respeccing, but we'll see what happens. I will definately rearrange some enchantments and gem slots for sure. Who knows, Combat Swords would be awesome though I love shadowstep =)

Thanks much guys!

This is my Rogue, complete with Kara/badge Epics. This is what you should look into gearing towards.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gilneas&n=Reigner

And to the rest of you, I'm still a work in progress so I'm well aware that my gems enchants arent up to snuff. :p

Also, check our www.shadow-panther.net or maxdps.com. Neither site should be treated as gospel but again, it will at least give you an idea. At LEAST when it comes to enchants and gems.

And if you want to get taken seriously in any raiding guild that more than a 'come as you are we dont care lulz' guild, then do yourself a favor and respec combat.

Richiban said:
Awesome!

Thanks much guys!
If you won't respec atleast replace that dagger with a sword or mace. Your profile isn't working so I can't see what the other weapon you had was.

Richiban

I usually open with Cheap Shot, but I realize now that I don't need a dagger to use that attack.

The dagger was a left over from when I was specced completely subtlety, not realizing that some hybrid talent trees are good as well. I would use ambush to open, but lately I've found that cheap shot, hemo, slice and dice has been working for me just as well.

lol! Looks like it's respeccin' time!

Alex

Man, even on my fairly awesome new rig, Shatrath, by the banks, drags my ass down to 35-40 FPS, granted I have maxed AA and AF on in the WoW settings, but I'm still only at 1366x768.

Shatrath is where computers go to die, I swear.

Someone in my guild wants me to respec swords, but i have the emerald ripper and the night blade

I said that when I find some swords, I'll use them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom