• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojojo

LAUGHTREY said:
I was also thinking about leveling a druid, it's really a pain to do anything by yourself as a prot warrior and I don't want to respec every time I just want to do dailies.

Apparently a little after Wotlk, Blizz intends to introduce dual-speccing through a patch. it will allow your char to switch between 2 set of talents trees, so you don't have to pay for respec when you have 2 favourites... Details are still sketchy (i doubt you can switch on the go), but sounds great, no need to respec for dailies ;)

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/04/tigole-confirms-dual-specs-are-still-in-the-works/

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
firex said:
Just wait a couple weeks. 3.0.2 brings about a tanking threat revamp where tanks do tons of dps. You should have no problems soloing as prot then if you just dual wield.

Thank god.

I recently got some relief in the form of a shield from the Netherdrake pre-quests. The shield has a ton more block value then my last one and makes some of my attacks generate huge threat and crit for about a thousand. Which is huge for me.

Epix

Have you guys seen this?
Azeroth Advisor

About the Azeroth Advisor

The Azeroth Advisor is an electronic newsletter that is personalized to your World of Warcraft characters. It is automatically delivered to you by email, customized to your character's current level and status. Our idea is simple: give you the information you need when it's relevant to you. The Azeroth Advisor is not a cheat guide or a set of walk-throughs; it is insightful guidance that helps you make informed decisions throughout the game.

Each issue of the Azeroth Advisor will provide:

* Detailed information about new spells or abilities that will become available to you shortly.
* Recommendations for areas of interest to explore with advice specific to your class.
* Instance guides that provide detailed information about the dungeons, tailored to your character. These guides provide an introduction to the instance, quests you should pick up before entering them, and what you can expect once you are inside.
* A map of your current location pointing out key vendors, trainers and NPCs that are useful to your particular character's class, professions and active quests.
* Much, much more. You can build a sample newsletter from our home page. Just choose a realm from the list and enter a character's name.
http://www.azerothadvisor.com/

This is a great resource for all players (especially casual players). You can generate a sample newsletter on the front page.

Weenerz

Banned
Death Knight Q&A

Q. What races can be a death knight?
A. Every race has the availability of being a death knight.

Q. Who is eligible to create a death knight?
A. Players who have at least one level 55 character on a realm may create a death knight on that realm.

Q. What if I have a level 55 character on one realm but want to create a death knight on another realm to play with friends?
A. At the launch of Wrath of the Lich King, you will only be able to create a death knight on the same realm where you have an existing level 55 or higher character. In the future, we plan to allow the creation of a death knight on any realm (provided you have at least one level 55+ character).

Q. Can I create a death knight on one realm and transfer it to another realm?
A. Yes, you will be able to transfer a death knight, using either a free character move or a paid character transfer. Normal fees still apply.

Q. Can I create a death knight on one account and transfer it to a new account?
A. Death knights can be transferred with the same fees and restrictions as any other character.

Q. If I move a death knight to another realm now, can I get a refund later when the option to create a death knight anywhere is available?
A. We will not be giving refunds to players who have relocated a death knight to another realm prior to the open creation point for all realms.

Q. Can I create a death knight on the opposite faction?
A. You will be able to create a death knight on the opposite faction provided that it is on a PvE realm. The standard restrictions for character creation apply for PvP realms.

Q. Is there a limit on how many death knights I can create?
A. You will only be able to have one death knight per realm at any one time. Should you delete a death knight, you will still be able to create a new one.

VaLiancY

There was a bug on the beta servers.

Every piece of Arena gear was bugged.

There was no price or rating requirement for all tiers of equipment.

I missed out.

border

I think I'm going to start gunning for the 50-mount Achievement. I need to get my rep up with Horde factions -- does anyone have good tips for farming runecloth?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
border said:
I think I'm going to start gunning for the 50-mount Achievement. I need to get my rep up with Horde factions -- does anyone have good tips for farming runecloth?
tyr's hand?

what class are you? depending on that you could just farm an instance.

or buy it all off the AH if the price isn't inflated...

Weenerz

Banned
You get a title for being exalted with all horde/alliance factions too.

"Ambassador Border" or whatever your toon's name is.

firex

at 70, all I had to do to get exalted was some runecloth turn-ins on my shaman with silvermoon. Every other race's starting zone was enough to net me that last 3k or so to get from revered to exalted.

border

Is there any guide to the starting area quests? I'd like to do them all, but obviously I might miss a good number of them since the "!" won't appear on questgivers anymore.

Weenerz said:
You get a title for being exalted with all horde/alliance factions too.

"Ambassador Border" or whatever your toon's name is.

I'll probably just do as many factions as it takes to get all the mounts I need.....I'm barely into Revered with most of them, and it would take probably 1000 stacks of Runecloth to push them all to exalted.

Weenerz

Banned
border said:
Is there any guide to the starting area quests? I'd like to do them all, but obviously I might miss a good number of them since the "!" won't appear on questgivers anymore.

I'll probably just do as many factions as it takes to get all the mounts I need.....I'm barely into Revered with most of them, and it would take probably 1000 stacks of Runecloth to push them all to exalted.

They added a low level quest locate to the thing at the minimap. It's easy to do old quests.

border

Weenerz said:
They added a low level quest locate to the thing at the minimap. It's easy to do old quests.
I'm not seeing anything of this sort.....do I have to wait for the next patch?

menu.jpg

firex

as long as you're not trying to do silvermoon low level quests, all you really have to do is mouse over the NPCs in each starting area and look for your mouse icon to change. I don't think blizzard ever let non-blood elves do the level 1-4 silvermoon quests. On my orc shaman, I did the level 1-4 quests and got my earth totem, then left for eversong woods. So when I went rep grinding the low level zones, I just did mulgore and tirisfal.

I'll probably go do more quests like this at some point later on when achievements are out, just so I can get the quest achievements for eastern kingdoms, kalimdor, and maybe outland too.

Tamanon

Banned
Silvermoon seems to be such an insane pain to hit Exalted with, if only because most of the second island quests are Tranquillien rep. At least The Exodar has everyone on the same rep so any Draenei I make generally hit Exalted after the first few quests in Outland that give Exodar rep.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Tamanon said:
Silvermoon seems to be such an insane pain to hit Exalted with, if only because most of the second island quests are Tranquillien rep. At least The Exodar has everyone on the same rep so any Draenei I make generally hit Exalted after the first few quests in Outland that give Exodar rep.
I did the starting zone quests, the few Dranei quests in other 20-50 zones, then Outland - and then used AV turn ins to get the last chunk

firex

Tamanon said:
not really, though. You can hit honored even as a race that starts out neutral by the time you're done with ghostlands. Also you get spillover rep from tranquillien that carries over to silvermoon, and every horde quest gives a lot of spillover silvermoon rep. It took until like level 50 for my silvermoon rep to fall behind orgrimmar, as an orc, even though it was the last one I got to exalted. But it was like 2k or 3k rep to get exalted, and I had that much in extra runecloth to turn in anyway.

Onemic

Does WoW have a UI mod that is similar to WAR's tome of knowledge, in that it highlights the general area of where you need to go when doing a quest in the main map and minimap?

Playing Warhammer online has made me want to come back to WoW, but I fear I may be wasting my money again. Playing the WOTLK beta has really made me want to come back, as it seems very similar to WAR's questing system, where a lot of the quests don't have serious grinding. I wish they had public quests as well though.

Chris R

onemic said:
Does WoW have a UI mod that is similar to WAR's tome of knowledge, in that it highlights the general area of where you need to go when doing a quest in the main map and minimap?
Quest Helper, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the Tome or have any of the other features that the Tome does. But if all you want is the tracking aspect, it does that just fine.

I also play Warhammer, but I'm really wondering if it is even worth it for me to come back for WOTLK. My main was a Mage and all the changes that I've seen and had a chance to try out on the beta server leave me very disappointed. While Wintergrasp can be fun, it also still needs quite a bit of work. Also in general I think it sucks that Arena is their main focus as I never want to play a single match of Arena ever again.

The 10 man raids are cool, and it would be nice to actually get to finish Naxx for once as I used to play Naxx back when it was a 40 man raid, but the cost of the expansion + a few months of play time, and then having to play a mage just isn't appealing to me now. I'd love to play one of my alts that I have sitting around 20-30 but I swore off leveling another alt until they allowed regular people to get 3x exp just like the multiboxers.

Tamanon

Banned
God I hope the patch really hits next week so I can go ahead and drop alchemy from my Shammy and pick up Inscription. Plus I want to try out the new Enhancement.

I want the patch so people in my guild stop trying to attempt kael without an adequate group just so they can maybe get the hand of adal title

We've been stuck on kael for like 2 weeks when we should have downed Azgalor and Gurtogg at least

yacobod

Banned
BigJonsson said:
I want the patch so people in my guild stop trying to attempt kael without an adequate group just so they can maybe get the hand of adal title

We've been stuck on kael for like 2 weeks when we should have downed Azgalor and Gurtogg at least

honestly what does it matter at this point?

unless you are working on downing Kiljaeden, whats the point of working on progression at this point, expansion is literally right around the corner, the motivation to raid for most ppl is probably close to zero, all that gear is going to replaced shortly, seems pointless

yacobod said:

unless you are working on downing Kiljaeden, whats the point of working on progression at this point, expansion is literally right around the corner, the motivation to raid for most ppl is probably close to zero, all that gear is going to replaced shortly, seems pointless
Well technically the best hunter shoulders in WotLK still come from azgalor or whatever the stupid dreadlord's name is. I kinda regret not taking them when we had the "who wants to waste bag space on these turds" argument.

Epix

Have you guys heard about the new Tenacity buff given in Wintergrasp to members of the faction that is outnumbered? It's a stat boost that apparently scales with the size of the population imbalance to the point where "1 person could potentially take on 5 enemy players."

Milpool

I let the background downloader pre-load the next patch, but at 99% or around there I get the message that there were multiple problems saving data, anyone else got this? I ran chkdsk as but it still happens.

yacobod said:

We are still paying to play this game, aren't we? Seems dumb to just stop playing

Weenerz

Banned
The Lamonster said:
So is the patch dropping tomorrow? Does Blizzard usually announce patch release dates?

Theres a 12 hour maintenance tomorrow, so pretty sure we're getting the patch. Blizzard doesn't usually announce release dates for patches.

Tamanon

Banned
Epix said:
Have you guys heard about the new Tenacity buff given in Wintergrasp to members of the faction that is outnumbered? It's a stat boost that apparently scales with the size of the population imbalance to the point where "1 person could potentially take on 5 enemy players."

Oh that sounds pretty silly, should be fun to see. I can see Mages throwing out 10k fireball/frostbolts with it, heh.

I'm thinking of switching my shammy to Elemental with the patch, I figure that way I can stock up on Elemental gear and then heal if need be since everything's spellpower now. Plus when they add the dual-specs, it'll be even more effective.

firex

Tamanon said:
Oh that sounds pretty silly, should be fun to see. I can see Mages throwing out 10k fireball/frostbolts with it, heh.

I'm thinking of switching my shammy to Elemental with the patch, I figure that way I can stock up on Elemental gear and then heal if need be since everything's spellpower now. Plus when they add the dual-specs, it'll be even more effective.
You'll still want some healer items. quest reward gear sometimes has mp5 on it but usually you get crit and spell power or hit and spell power. I'm doing pretty much the same thing but I doubt I'll really be able to heal that effectively, although I have to admit that spell power has a lot bigger effect on heals now.

Sybari

Neo Member
BigJonsson said:

We downed Kael today. It was purely for the benefit of the new recruits (including myself) who had been invited and are being rapidly geared up in anticipation for the expansion.

Even though it was a nice break from the SWP ploughing, it still took a fair few tries; and for a guild at such level but being a bit rusty, I do not think that I would recommend aiming to achieve downing Kael for a slightly under-geared raid. However, I do recommend anyone atleast seeing the fight before they are unable to, it's a lot of fun!

explodet

As a newly minted lvl 70 prot paladin, I can't wait for the patch to drop tomorrow. Paladin tanking is a whole lot different now with the new judgements, new Blessing of Sanctuary, instant cast Avenger's Shield and Hammer of Wrath, and Hammer of the Righteous (or as I like to call it, CLONG). On the test server I was able to solo AOE farm a lot more mobs and still stay at full health and mana. I even pulled the entire Scarlet Monastery Cathedral solo and survived - which isn't a huge feat, but keep in mind I've got crap gear.

Kinda upset that they messed with my hybrid specced warrior though - moving Improved Slam over to Arms means I lose a PvE rage dump if I stick with the same point distribution, but if I take that I lose a lot of points in Flurry. I guess I'll try a few specs and see what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom