• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

vermadas

Well, my wife and I renewed our WoW accounts after a long break. I have a 63 paladin and she has a 63 hunter which we have leveled up together. I've been prot and tanking for her, and she's been marks. After the patch comes out, she's going to stay with marks, but I'm not sure whether to stay prot or go ret. Anyone with paly experience in the beta or on the PTR have an opinion?

We don't really ever do instances, so I rarely have to tank anything that is too threatening (usually just elites for quests here and there), so the build I want will be focused on killing shit as fast as possible with the least amount of downtime. I also need to be able to keep aggro, but I don't think that will be an issue with the threat changes in the patch.

firex

vermadas said:
Well, my wife and I renewed our WoW accounts after a long break. I have a 63 paladin and she has a 63 hunter which we have leveled up together. I've been prot and tanking for her, and she's been marks. After the patch comes out, she's going to stay with marks, but I'm not sure whether to stay prot or go ret. Anyone with paly experience in the beta or on the PTR have an opinion?

We don't really ever do instances, so I rarely have to tank anything that is too threatening (usually just elites for quests here and there), so the build I want will be focused on killing shit as fast as possible with the least amount of downtime. I also need to be able to keep aggro, but I don't think that will be an issue with the threat changes in the patch.
Just go ret and make sure to keep righteous fury up and you should hold aggro no problem. At 70 I was doing like 3k crits judging seal of blood, with judgement of wisdom. Divine Storm and Crusader strike would crit for like 2k. and we're talking about a pally who has a terrible ret set, so I was using quest rewards + some tank gear.

bill0527

I just patched up and tried to login in and was greeted with a cool cinematic of The Burning Crusade? Why not one for WotLK? The new WotLK login screen looks really cool.

I have not kept up with all the supposed class changes recently so reading the patch notes was my first exposure to the changes and I'm not sure about some of them. It looks like they took, not a nerf stick to some of the classes, but a giant fucking tree-trunk-sized club to them.

I have a 70 BM hunter (just respecced from MM), 70 Holy Priest, and currently working on a level 40 Prot pally. At first glance, I absolutely hate what they've done to the Prot tree for pallies. It looks like a Disc/Holy priest might be the way to go now, and maybe I should respec survival as a hunter since that whole tree has been reworked.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
bill0527 said:
I have a 70 BM hunter (just respecced from MM), 70 Holy Priest, and currently working on a level 40 Prot pally. At first glance, I absolutely hate what they've done to the Prot tree for pallies. It looks like a Disc/Holy priest might be the way to go now, and maybe I should respec survival as a hunter since that whole tree has been reworked.

Changes to prot tree of pallies are AWESOME, I don't know what you're talking about...

bill0527

commish said:
Changes to prot tree of pallies are AWESOME, I don't know what you're talking about...

maybe to a level 70 pally, but if you're a levelling prot pally, they really changed everything up. They moved redoubt all the way down to bottom of the talent tree. Redoubt procs for me in almost every encounter and I like it

Weenerz

Banned
The background downloader has never worked for me, so I started the 3.0.2 patch download from nothing and it took about 5 minutes to download 1.2gb :lol

It took longer to install the patch.

VaLiancY

yacobod said:
im going to spec my warrior prot, as the new prot tree looks pretty amazing, and i think im through with pvp in this game

Get ready to annoy your opposite faction with it because its a bitch going against a Prot Warrior and Shockwave is really the epitome of a bread and butter 51-point talent.

witness

Ugh not all of the changes that were in the PTR are even in this patch, did they really need to get this out today then?

For example:

# Maelstrom Weapon proc chance reduced to 3/6/9/12/15% on critical hit when you deal damage with a melee weapon. Now affects chain heal.

Instead of the far superior:

When you deal damage with a melee weapon, you have a 100% chance to reduce the cast time of your next Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Lava Burst, Lesser Healing Wave, Chain Heal or Healing Wave spell by 20%. Stacks up to 5 times. Lasts 30 sec.

They should have just held off, its gonna be a mess now with a hodge podge of changes from various builds put together.

Tamanon

Banned
witness said:
Wohooo patch day! Tonights raid is gonna be fun as hell with all the changes.

People are going to be shocked at how much faster bosses will fall I'm thinking.

I really like the Protadin changes, especially to Holy Shield and Redoubt.

Epix

Weenerz said:
The background downloader has never worked for me, so I started the 3.0.2 patch download from nothing and it took about 5 minutes to download 1.2gb :lol

It took longer to install the patch.
The downloader still counts off the data as if it's being downloaded when in fact you've already have the data on your computer. Perhaps this is what you saw since it was the same for me (4-5 min) even though I already had the patch downloaded prior.

Blueblur1

Hey guys. I'm kind of a WoW noob. I've been playing off and on and I've never raised a character past level 33. I recently made a Blood Elf Mage on the Kalecgos realm. I'm thinking of moving that character to a realm that runs on the EST timezone (was checking the list at warcraftrealms.com). Any recommendations?

Also, since I read that we would get a free talent respec are there any specific builds you guys would recommend? The one I'm working on seems like a simple one that I got off some site.

Flambe

witness said:
Ugh not all of the changes that were in the PTR are even in this patch, did they really need to get this out today then?

They should have just held off, its gonna be a mess now with a hodge podge of changes from various builds put together.

The spells and talents are going to change all the way up to WOTLK and weeks after THAT launches before they start going at a more regular pace.

There's a point where you just need to get it out the door. This isn't to say I wouldn't be happy if they reset Talent purchasing back to 1g, going to be expensive respeccing 6 70s >.>

Epix

Ghostcrawler said:
The build going live right now has a lot of class changes. But it doesn’t have all of them. Some changes, particularly those that affect high level abilities and some of the changes we made more recently won’t be in today’s build. But you will get them all on or before Nov 13 when Lich King goes live.

While we have done some balance testing at level 70 with the changes, we tested at level 80 a lot more, since so many players are focused on Arena combat and endgame raiding. Balance at 70 is going to feel different from 80.

If you played WoW at the 2.0 version before Burning Crusade shipped, you’ll remember that this can be a crazy time. You have new abilities through talents, but not new core abilities, and not enough talent points to get everything. There are major gear changes, major mechanic changes, and a lot of class changes. Some of those are going to take some getting used to, and despite our best efforts, it’s entirely possible we’ll find something broken that needs to be hotfixed right away.

The game should start feeling a little more normal again when Lich King ships. It’s cool to keep providing feedback and testing things out. Just try and be a little patient and understanding over the next couple of weeks as players learn about the changes (especially players who weren’t in the beta), get all of their broken mods working, and we make whatever fixes we need to make on our end
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11162847323

Installing patch...

So is it confirmed that boss HP is going dowon 30% but our DPS and healing is also getting nerfed for now?

Or will we be able to kill Teron Gorefiend in like 2 minutes?

witness

BigJonsson said:
Installing patch...

So is it confirmed that boss HP is going dowon 30% but our DPS and healing is also getting nerfed for now?

Ugh no your dps/healing isn't going down. In fact you should be putting out more dps, more threat, and more healing than ever.

witness said:
Ugh no your dps/healing isn't going down. In fact you should be putting out more dps, more threat, and more healing than ever.

Thought so, I was wondering what the fuck this dude in my guild was smoking when he said that DPS was getting nerfed

So Hyjal should be a joke now?

PatzCU

I think that blue post from Ghostcrawler pretty much says: "We know ret paladins are going to be ripping everyone's face off, just like when the BC 2.0 patch was released. These are troubling times, but rest assured, ret paladins will again be nerfed after the expansion pack ship date, just like when BC was released."

I can't wait to play my Ret Paladin tonight. :D

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, the changes to shields and addition of lower level Water Shields makes leveling a Shammy less of a pain at least. It always did suck until you got dual wield/stormstrike.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anywhere a bored work-type can go to actually see the new trees? I can't seem to find them.

Tamanon said:
People are going to be shocked at how much faster bosses will fall I'm thinking.

I'm hoping for this; we got top-shelf DPS in our guild, and them riding the lightning of threat most of the fight held them back pre-3.0.

If it's anything like the PTR it'll be a complete mess.

I'm not hoping for this. :lol

Chris R

Tamanon said:
BTW, the changes to shields and addition of lower level Water Shields makes leveling a Shammy less of a pain at least. It always did suck until you got dual wield/stormstrike.
Did they increase the speed of general leveling? I had a Shaman at around 20, but still it was realllllly slow... Slowest 1-20 I ever did.

witness

rhfb said:
Did they increase the speed of general leveling? I had a Shaman at around 20, but still it was realllllly slow... Slowest 1-20 I ever did.

Last time they increased 20-60 was about a year ago, and now with this patch they increasing 60-70 as well (reduced required level xp by 30% and increased quest reward xp by 30%).

Epix

witness said:
Last time they increased 20-60 was about a year ago, and now with this patch they increasing 60-70 as well (reduced required level xp by 30% and increased quest reward xp by 30%).
I wonder why they didn't put that into the patch notes.

Weenerz

Banned
Chaos Bolt is supposed to go through anything, so I'm guessing they took away the resistance chance by making it a spell dmg of its own so you still get the benefit of spell power.

Tamanon

Banned
Just pick fire or frost, whichever one you feel more comfortable with while leveling. Arcane really isn't good until you hit 70 and get the right gear for it. I leveled my mage as frost and saw no problems whatsoever, you get so much crowd control every fight is easy.

Belfast

BigJonsson said:
Installing patch...

He probably misread the patch notes, which said that boss melee damage would be nerfed, instead interpreting it as raid dps.

Soroc

Just got home from work and the downloader is telling me 3.5 hours!! Anyone know of any other legit places to download this patch?

Thanks!

Blueblur1

Tamanon said:
Just pick fire or frost, whichever one you feel more comfortable with while leveling. Arcane really isn't good until you hit 70 and get the right gear for it. I leveled my mage as frost and saw no problems whatsoever, you get so much crowd control every fight is easy.
Thanks Tamanon and Zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom