• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomServo

TheExodu5 said:
Well if you're already set for gold, then yeah herbalism/alchemy should do fine. If you're a clothie though, I'd still suggest taking up tailoring, since it'll end up being more useful than alchemy to you. You can always make an alt to take care of your alchemy needs in the future (I think it takes level 40 or so to be maxed out).

I finally took your advice and dropped alchemy for tailoring. Had a ton of linen even after leveling first aid, and a bunch of herbs I'd rather sell for the cash than convert to potions.

Want to see how far I can go without mooching from my buddy. Got to level 16, saw my wealth grow to a massive 1G, but had to train :(

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
TomServo said:
I finally took your advice and dropped alchemy for tailoring. Had a ton of linen even after leveling first aid, and a bunch of herbs I'd rather sell for the cash than convert to potions.

Want to see how far I can go without mooching from my buddy. Got to level 16, saw my wealth grow to a massive 1G, but had to train :(

I dropped alch for tailoring and regretted it ever since.

TheExodu5 said:
Click the drop down list, click magic/spells/whateveritscalled. If you need more info on any particular stat, just mouse over the number and it gives you the specifics.

How well geared are you? If you're still in greens and blues, then you have a few options:

1) Do the higher level dungeons (anything rated for lvl 70 like Shadow Labs, Tempest Keep, etc...). Once you're blue-ed up and have rep with the different factions, you can start doing heroics. Also worth nothing is that there's a 5-piece blue PvP set you get from the different rep factions that can get you started nicely as well.

2) Do BattleGrounds. Honor farm your way to epic PvP gear, which is more than good enough to get you going in PvE.

After you're geared, then you can start raiding Karazhan.

Also, there's a new area called Isle of Quel'Danis (or something like that). There, you can do 10 or so daily quests to farm for gold. In about an hours time, you make around 100g. Try to do these every day if you can.
Do you think it's worth respeccing to DPS instead of Prot if I'm going to do PVP?
Here's a link to my Warrior's current tanking gear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&n=Dlgoth

TheExodu5

Banned
DubloSeven said:
Do you think it's worth respeccing to DPS instead of Prot if I'm going to do PVP?
Here's a link to my Warrior's current tanking gear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&n=Dlgoth

I'm not an expert on Warrior. Sorry, I'm at work and can't check the talent trees right now.

However, I do know what build is considered THE build for PvP. You spec Arms up until one of the last skills (Mortal Strike?). It's whatever skill is 2 or 3 from the bottom I think. After that, you spec the rest in the second talent tree.

I'll recall once I actually see the talent trees.

I think Prot Warriors can also be very viable in PvP, but I don't know the required build. Since you've got Prot gear, you may want to stick to Prot until you have enough honor to get some DPS gear. No matter what, you'll get ripped apart in BGs/Arenas until you get a little bit of gear anyways, so don't fret it for the first week or two. Make sure you do your 10 Arena matches every week, even if they're losing matches. After 4-5 weeks, you'll have enough Arena Points to purchase Brutal gloves. Very worth it for the minimal 2-4 hours it takes to play the Arena matches.

edit: just checked on my iPhone. Arms tree up to Mortal Strike. Fury for the rest.

yacobod

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm not an expert on Warrior. Sorry, I'm at work and can't check the talent trees right now.

However, I do know what build is considered THE build for PvP. You spec Arms up until one of the last skills (Mortal Strike?). It's whatever skill is 2 or 3 from the bottom I think. After that, you spec the rest in the second talent tree.

I'll recall once I actually see the talent trees.

I think Prot Warriors can also be very viable in PvP, but I don't know the required build.

protection warriors are not viable in pvp, if you want to pvp as a warrior the cookie cutter specs are 35/23/3 or 33/28, sorry thats it atm

fury is not viable

after patch 3.0 comes out that will change though, but atm MS is your only spec for pvp as a warrior

border

commish said:
I dropped alch for tailoring and regretted it ever since.

Son of Godzilla said:
Never drop alchemy. Ever.

Alchemy is so useless. Aside from the one nice trinket, there's nothing you get from it that you can't just buy.

Tailoring's BoP patterns trounce alchemy's piddling advantages.

Flambe

border said:

Blizzard has said that WOTLK tailoring gear won't be as relatively awesome as Spellcloth/Mooncloth/Shadowcloth was in BC.

But at least we get flying carpets

Flambe said:
Blizzard has said that WOTLK tailoring gear won't be as relatively awesome as Spellcloth/Mooncloth/Shadowcloth was in BC.

But at least we get flying carpets

Hopefully that translates into clothies not being nigh-FORCED to go Tailoring as most of their tier stuff range from averagely itemized to sheer insipidy, and they actually made T7 worth owning.

PS: That damn carpet is MINE.

border said:
Alchemy is so useless. Aside from the one nice trinket, there's nothing you get from it that you can't just buy.

Yes, but at the end of the day all profs suck and Alchemy brings in the bling.

TomServo

Thinking about dropping herbalism for enchanting. I've vendoring a lot of greens and BoP blues.

My level 70 buddy in his T6 gear has gone into full twink-the-friend mode. Says he's solo'd up to and including LBRS, and will run me through whatever instances I have quests for on my way to 60. Sure does make leveling easier - went from 20 to 21 in about half an hour following him through SFK.

As much as I've enjoyed the pre-60 content in the past I'm ready to see some new stuff in BC and WotLK.

Tamanon

Banned
TomServo said:
Thinking about dropping herbalism for enchanting. I've vendoring a lot of greens and BoP blues.

My level 70 buddy in his T6 gear has gone into full twink-the-friend mode. Says he's solo'd up to and including LBRS, and will run me through whatever instances I have quests for on my way to 60. Sure does make leveling easier - went from 20 to 21 in about half an hour following him through SFK.

As much as I've enjoyed the pre-60 content in the past I'm ready to see some new stuff in BC and WotLK.

Enchanting won't be nearly as useful once Lich King hits. Sure you can get a little boost from selling gear instead of disenchanting, but herbalism will be a GREAT moneymaker, especially the first few weeks/months since it's used in Inscription also.

firex

I'm still sticking with engy and jewelcrafting on my pally and shaman. JC is only really marginally improved over TBC, but it'll be a good profession for making cash later on (though it'll probably be like enchanting now, where I'll have to idle in town and spam trade). Engy I'm keeping just so I can make a motorcycle. well, and I haven't done the required consortium grind for the elemental seaforium so I can make my own flying machine.

edit: whoa, I totally forgot to include my shaman in there (he's the engy, my pally is the JC). made it look like I was one of those crazy rich people who farmed enough stuff to have 2 crafting professions and no gathering.

border

Son of Godzilla said:
Yes, but at the end of the day all profs suck and Alchemy brings in the bling.
What bling? I'm an alchemist and I can rarely sell crafted items for more than the cost of materials. The only money I make comes from my daily Earth-to-Water transmute.

And really, who cares about money? I have probably 10 grand in the bank and nowhere to spend it. The items I've made through crafting have no equivalent that can be purchased....some of it is T5/T6 quality stuff that you can't get outside of a 25-man raid. I think I have made out far better with tailoring, blacksmithing, and engineering. You can make money with things besides professions anyhow.

TomServo

border said:
What bling? I'm an alchemist and I can rarely sell crafted items for more than the cost of materials. The only money I make comes from my daily Earth-to-Water transmute.

I had an alchemist with some decent dropped recipes in vanilla WoW. Like you, the only real money maker for me was a transmute; water-to-air for me. My guildies loved having me along in instances, because I'd hand out potions like they were candy.

border said:
And really, who cares about money? I have probably 10 grand in the bank and nowhere to spend it. The items I've made through crafting have no equivalent that can be purchased. I think I have made out far better with tailoring, blacksmithing, and engineering. You can make money with things besides professions anyhow.

That's what I'm thinking, and what I've heard from my friend. I'm at borderline twink status anyway, and I've never done enchanting. Something new would be nice, since I've already played a warlock before and getting new abilities isn't terribly exciting.

A bunch of my guildmates were late to the raid last night so we decided to try sunwell trash while we waited for them........got the first few pulls down and I managed to snag the advanced smelting guide so I can make hardened khorium now :lol

I wonder if I could actually sell it on my server......but there are like 2 guilds that have actually gotten far enough into SP to maybe need it

bengraven

Just dropped blacksmithing for engineering. BMing was only at 280 for the last 2 years and I don't want to spend the money/time for it.

But engineering is going to be much more interesting, despite the time/money it's also going to take.

Tamanon

Banned
bengraven said:
Just dropped blacksmithing for engineering. BMing was only at 280 for the last 2 years and I don't want to spend the money/time for it.

But engineering is going to be much more interesting, despite the time/money it's also going to take.

Engineering you can still make good money on though once you get into the 300s with the Mote extractor and some of the guns/shells.

WoWScrnShot_100408_033301.jpg

It hurt ;(

border said:
Diamond transmutes are much, much better; IMO. And sure, you can get gold other ways, but nothing anywhere near as easy.

And anyways, Alch is much, much more profitable at the start of expansion resets than the end. It'll be a monster for a few months in WotLK.

Ceebs

I am starting to have second thoughts about Inscription. I have like 3 bank tabs on an alt full of herbs ready for it, but not sure if it's gonna be worth it to level, should I just use them for leveling alchemy?

Chris R

Ceebs said:
I am starting to have second thoughts about Inscription. I have like 3 bank tabs on an alt full of herbs ready for it, but not sure if it's gonna be worth it to level, should I just use them for leveling alchemy?
save and sell when it drops, herbs will be worth so much $

Tamanon

Banned
Ceebs said:

Sell the herbs the first few weeks, you'll make massive profits. :D

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I watched an NE warrior in AV run into a group of 4 horde and he dropped all 4 in about 6 seconds, I was lik WTF...lol

Glad he was on my side. ;P

OriginX

In terms of PVP what is the best way for a warlock to handle a mage. I can handle almost every other class but mages. My order of attack is usually, death coil, spam instant DOTS, fear, unstable affliction. By that time they recover and have spell locked and im done. I send my pet in to do whatever little damage it can and by the time the spell lock dispells I've had to health stone and then its just an endurance race of attacks between the two of us. I'll fear when possible and they will freeze when in trouble. It just seems so fucking drawn out. Whereas if I'm fighting any other class it's over within a few moments(pending bubbles and whatnot.) Any tips?

border

You pretty much need your Felhunter out, if you want to handle mages. Spell lock them if they spell lock you.....or better yet, spell lock them before they can spell lock you. Also, maybe get a mod that shows you how long before your target's Iceblock fades. That way you can start casting a Shadowbolt or Soulfire that will hit them as soon as the invulnerability ends. They might pop out and try to spell lock you, but at least if you are casting Soulfire you'll be locked out of Fire spells rather than the more important Shadow spells. While they are iceblocked, take a minute to banish their elemental and/or bandage.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I picked such a bad/good time to start playing. I recently hit my first 70 a few days ago and have been running as a prot warrior for some easy instances. I'm still in greens and wondering if I should bother getting better gear or just wait the month.

I was also thinking about leveling a druid, it's really a pain to do anything by yourself as a prot warrior and I don't want to respec every time I just want to do dailies.

Anyone know anyone that wants to start playing that I can recruit?

Chris R

OriginX said:
In terms of PVP what is the best way for a warlock to handle a mage. I can handle almost every other class but mages. My order of attack is usually, death coil, spam instant DOTS, fear, unstable affliction. By that time they recover and have spell locked and im done. I send my pet in to do whatever little damage it can and by the time the spell lock dispells I've had to health stone and then its just an endurance race of attacks between the two of us. I'll fear when possible and they will freeze when in trouble. It just seems so fucking drawn out. Whereas if I'm fighting any other class it's over within a few moments(pending bubbles and whatnot.) Any tips?

Joke post?

Fel Hunter + wet sponge = dead mage

Got Kael to phase 4 tonight

Guild should be getting him down tomorrow while I'm at work........good thing I don't need anything from him =/

Then we can try and rush through more MH and BT before Wrath gets out

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
best advice i can offer is:

don't fear/drain life/shadow bolt unless they're death coiled.

don't fear/drain life/shadow bolt unless they're spell locked.

try to trick them into blowing their counter spell on a fire spell.

or begin casting fear, but quickly cancel it before they counter spell it. hopefully they knee jerk reaction when they see the fear and throw up the counter spell just after you cancel it.

once they've used counter spell you should fear, shadow bolt and drain life as much as you can.

other than that, you just have to drain them down with dots and hope for a few lucky nightfall procs.

edit: if they try to sheep you while your felhunter is out, let them. they're probably lining you up for a pyro. spell lock it JUST before the cast finishes and immediately fear when you come out of sheep... and you get your health back (though you're probably playing against a really bad mage if they sheep you when your health is 3/4 or below).

that said, when mages vs. a warlock with a felhunter they should just PoM pyro.

also, you should always have a spellstone equipped in your wand slot to dispel any nasty debuffs.

Kweh

Just checking out the new talent calc’s for next weeks patch.

Arcane Barrage vs Chaos Bolt

Instant Cast / 3 sec cooldown vs 2.5 sec cast / 12 sec cooldown

lol where’s the balance? How can there be such a huge disparity between two “similar” final talents.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Kweh said:
Just checking out the new talent calc’s for next weeks patch.

Arcane Barrage vs Chaos Bolt

Instant Cast / 3 sec cooldown vs 2.5 sec cast / 12 sec cooldown

lol where’s the balance? How can there be such a huge disparity between two “similar” final talents.
can arcane barrage be resisted, and does it pierce absorption effects?

Kweh

Scrow said:
can arcane barrage be resisted, and does it pierce absorption effects?
If it did get resisted they can just try again 3 seconds later and on the move…

I dunno, still seems a big difference between both of them.

Kweh said:

Because the two have nothing to do with each other other than being spells that two casters get. Priests get Penance, which has 2 seconds less cooldown and instead of a cast time does damage every second it's being cast! And even then it has a faster cast time than untalented Chaos Bolt.

firex

LAUGHTREY said:
I picked such a bad/good time to start playing. I recently hit my first 70 a few days ago and have been running as a prot warrior for some easy instances. I'm still in greens and wondering if I should bother getting better gear or just wait the month.

I was also thinking about leveling a druid, it's really a pain to do anything by yourself as a prot warrior and I don't want to respec every time I just want to do dailies.

Anyone know anyone that wants to start playing that I can recruit?
Just wait a couple weeks. 3.0.2 brings about a tanking threat revamp where tanks do tons of dps. You should have no problems soloing as prot then if you just dual wield.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Kweh said:

and what about piercing absorption effects like a pally bubble or a priest's shield? chaos bolt also does more damage and costs less mana. the cast time and cooldown is warranted.

i think you're just trying to compare apples and oranges.

btw, my warlock is the first character i got to 70, so it's not in my interests to have the class nerfed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom