• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flesh Into Gear said:
fuck this shit. you hit 80 and think the pain will subside but no...it's time to fucking level blacksmithing. 4 in the morning and i'm flying around ungoro v.2 looking for saronite.
Leveling from 1 to 60, to 60 to 70, and now 70 to 80 all lead to a rep/gear/gold/progression grind. That's wow dude.

Macattk15

I dinged 78 last night .... I still have the majority of Grizzly Hills, ALL of Sholazar, ALL of Icecrown, ALL of Storm Peaks, ALL of Zul'drak, ALL of Crystalsong (if there are even quests there) ....

That is gonna be a lot of quests to build massive amounts of gold at 80. I'm guessing I'll ding 80 about halfway through Zul'drak (maybe the whole thing, not sure how many quests are in Zul'drak) ...

I went Howling > Borean > Dragonblight > Grizzly .... ran instances in between .... did every single quest in each zone I have leveled in so far.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
TomServo said:
Priest. Holy.

No one heals anymore. Everyone is DPS. Tanks are a little easier to find now that DK's are all over.

I wish I had rolled a priest instead of a warlock.
The situation is worse when you join a PUG instance and you're one of the four classes that can heal adequately depending on spec, and you are refused an invitation because you are not leveling as Holy or Resto. I don't mean to sound crude, but I am not going to do 70-80 as a Resto Shaman. The best I can do is pump out the heals as Elemental if it is required and try my best not to get a wipe.

Low and behold, I've only run two instances and they're all cleared with myself as the healer. Sucks to be some party leaders.

Flesh Into Gear said:
fuck this shit. you hit 80 and think the pain will subside but no...it's time to fucking level blacksmithing. 4 in the morning and i'm flying around ungoro v.2 looking for saronite.
What area are you calling Un'Goro v2.0?

More and more I am finding deep arcane to be the best leveling spec. You get insane mana regen, hit rating bonus, spell damage bonuses, and with slow and torment the weak you pretty much never take damage. Throw in instant invis and you can get out of any bad situation almost immediately.

I recently respecced to the 53/18 hybrid from deep arcane and it has some annoyances. The mana regen isn't nearly as good, although master of elements does help. It's also annoying when you're using missile barrage procs and you don't have arcane stability. One hit basically takes out two missile bursts and ruins the entire spell. If you're careful it won't be a problem, but when you're in close quarters it just doesn't work. The spec also doesn't have slow in it, which I hated so much that I had to change it to include slow. Slow is more useful than frost snares as far as I'm concerned, and it boosts my dps. It's nowhere near the most efficient spec for raids, but deep arcane has the most utility of any of the mage specs as far as I'm concerned. I've yet to try the new frost or a deep fire build, but I've so far been disappointed with the arcane/fire hybrid. I should hit 75 tonight, and when I do I'm going to try an FFB build and we'll see how things work then. I'll post some more of my findings after that.

TomServo

speedpop said:
The situation is worse when you join a PUG instance and you're one of the four classes that can heal adequately depending on spec, and you are refused an invitation because you are not leveling as Holy or Resto. I don't mean to sound crude, but I am not going to do 70-80 as a Resto Shaman. The best I can do is pump out the heals as Elemental if it is required and try my best not to get a wipe.

Far be it from me to tell people how to play the game, but it is frustating to see a group of two pallys and two shaman that "need healz".

Now that DPS is getting normalized, I think they need to make every class have a viable tanking and healing spec. Yes, I'd heal as a goddamn warlock if it meant getting a PUG going for some leveling instance instead of begging friends, guildies, and random folks in /who to come heal an instance.

Really starting to regret rolling as a DPS class my second time around. Wish I could get my old shaman back from an old friend, but I don't have his new contact info.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
speedpop said:
Hah oh shit. I forgot I added that DK post and copped a few PMs. I wasn't going to divulge the info in case it spread and Blizzard clamped down on it, but I figured someone else would've figured it out and done it, so what the heck.

Anyway the way to do it is to just do a paid character transfer of a lvl 55+ character. Enter in your details, make sure you have a credit card handy and remember it will not charge your card. Just select your character, the realm they are on and the destination realm that you want the DK to be at. The wait time might be 4 hours, could be 8 hours. Once your character is "locked" you can still login via your account and check both servers and see your original character locked and the duplicate character waiting to be unlocked. Blizzard will send you an email saying "finalize the payment" but don't do it.

Simply create your Death Knight where the duplicate character is, it should all go through unless they have fixed it somehow. Once that is done, head back to the account page under the transactions section and cancel your character move. You don't get charged whatsoever, just a few hours of downtime for that character you used as the muppet to move realms.

Kazaam. Death Knight at lvl 55 waiting to be played with no restrictions.
Since it was taking you a while to tell the trick, I did a quick google search and found out how to do it in seconds. So it's getting known.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TomServo said:
Priest. Holy.

No one heals anymore. Everyone is DPS. Tanks are a little easier to find now that DK's are all over.

I've been trying to decide between leveling my 70 rogue and 70 priest(while everyone is dinging 80 -_-). I had a horrible time finding groups on my rogue early this year before I quit.

Your statement seems to be true. As soon as I entered the expansion content and started my first quest I got asked to heal Nexus. :lol

I miss healing actually. I want to be a pally, but I can't/wont level 1-80 while everyone I know is 75+.

DeathNote said:
I've been trying to decide between leveling my 70 rogue and 70 priest(while everyone is dinging 80 -_-). I had a horrible time finding groups on my rogue early this year before I quit.

Your statement seems to be true. As soon as I entered the expansion content and started my first quest I got asked to heal Nexus. :lol

I miss healing actually. I want to be a pally, but I can't/wont level 1-80 while everyone I know is 75+ .
I'm hoping at some point Blizzard implements something where you can start a new char at 55 if you already have someone higher than 55.

They gave us mounts at 30 now so I can see this possibly happening too.

TomServo

DeathNote said:
I miss healing actually. I want to be a pally, but I can't/wont level 1-80 while everyone I know is 75+.

I chose a DPS class when I started again because I thought healing had been a lot of whack-a-mole on party / raid members. Felt like I wasn't really experiencing the encounters.

Now I just play whack-a-mole with spell timers.

The Lamonster said:
They gave us mounts at 30 now so I can see this possibly happening too.

They've said this won't happen. I'd be more than happy with having on level 55 slot open up after getting a toon to 55+. I'd forego the DK to have a priest of pally start off at 55.

Have they ever discussed cross-server instances? Not being able to find players for lower-level instances is what kills my desire to do a total reroll. I'd imagine if you could pull players from other servers using the LFG interface you may have an easier time of things.

Evlar

Banned
speedpop said:

Low and behold, I've only run two instances and they're all cleared with myself as the healer. Sucks to be some party leaders.
Very true. I feel like saying "Hey smart guy, why don't YOU try grinding out quests with unbuffed Smite and Holy Fire. See how long it takes you, and how many hundreds of stacks of water."

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TomServo said:
I chose a DPS class when I started again because I thought healing had been a lot of whack-a-mole on party / raid members. Felt like I wasn't really experiencing the encounters.

Now I just play whack-a-mole with spell timers.
I think pve can get repetitive with any class.

As far as pvp goes, eventually there are twinked 80's. I personally suck against them in a dps class unless I have the latest gear. I never will because I don't invest a lot of time in it. I think healing would be better for me in pvp since I can keep the better geared people alive. That's where being squishy and wishing I was a pally comes in.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Evlar said:
Very true. I feel like saying "Hey smart guy, why don't YOU try grinding out quests with unbuffed Smite and Holy Fire. See how long it takes you, and how many hundreds of stacks of water."
I heard things were pretty simple. Are they really saying no to non healing specs in 70-80 dungeons?

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
I heard things were pretty simple. Are they really saying no to non healing specs in 70-80 dungeons?
From what I hear (still haven't dinged 70) it's not a big problem but it does happen- it's always happened.

TomServo

DeathNote said:
I think pve can get repetitive with any class.

It's not the repitition, it's that to be right on top of my rotation I focus my attention on two things - my action bar and the target's frame. In a tough boss battle I feel like I spend 90% of my time looking there, and miss out on whatever's actually happening in the fight.

Any decent UI mods that let you shift your attention to what's actually happening, instead of watching timers?

DeathNote said:

As a PUG group leader, I'll never turn down someone who agrees to heal regardless of spec. More often that not though, it's the players themselves who pigeonhole their playstyle due to their leveling spec.

Me: "Interesting in healing <instance>?"
Hybrid: "Dude, I'm <dps> spec."
Me: "No worries, you want to try healing it anyway?"
Hyrrid: "I told you, I'm dps not healz!"
Me: "Thanks anyway. Good luck."

Evlar said:

Thats why I went with a build that had more Disc and Searing Light. (Surge of Light ftw too unless its PvP...)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TomServo said:
Priest. Holy.

Leveling as affliction, I'm not as useful on trash pulls as a mage. Not enough burst damage. Mobs get dropped too quickly for the DoTs to run their course. Even with talents and haste dropping shadow bolt cast time to 2.2 seconds it's still a slow direct damage spell.

Bosses are much more fun. You go past the initial DoT rotation and have to start juggling different DoTs based on different cycles times, 1.5s cast time vs. instant cast, corruption refreshing on shadow bolt / haunt due to talents, etc. Everything has time to run its course so I'm usually right there with other DPS classes.
Holy Priests are passe man. :lol

Resto Druid is where it's at, especially with how buffed Tree of Life form has gotten. Battle Rez, reduced mana, innervate, ability to solo with some decent Feral gear.

TomServo

Angry Grimace said:
Holy Priests are passe man. :lol

Resto Druid is where it's at, especially with how buffed Tree of Life form has gotten. Battle Rez, reduced mana, innervate, ability to solo with some decent Feral gear.

If I was going to roll a dedicated healer, I'd go priest. They'll buff / nerf other classes around them, but priests are always going to be the standard healer that everyone else is judged against.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TomServo said:
If I was going to roll a dedicated healer, I'd go priest. They'll buff / nerf other classes around them, but priests are always going to be the standard healer that everyone else is judged against.
That's a pretty old school way of thinking. I'd take a resto druid of equal skill everytime. Battle Rez alone makes them worth bringing along.

Eric WK

Hooray! Now on to Heroics and Naxx.

33048kz.png

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
Uh ... there are SHITLOADS of Saronite in Icecrown ..... random spots of Titanium too. That is the only thing that exists out there ..... Saronite, Rich Saronite and Titanium.

I mined about 32 stacks of Ore last night in it and a stack and a half of Titanium.
That's how I got to 450 in one day and BS 440 in a day.

Icecrown is where all the Saronite is, but if you don't have a means to to drop aggro or kill multiple level 80 mobs, you will be unable to access most of the nodes. A flying mount will help, but even then it's difficult to get in there to access some of the nodes.

At level 70, I just used Shadowmeld to drop aggro when I could but mostly died repeatedly until my gear went red, then repaired. Expensive, but whatever. The fact your ghost has an epic flying mount in Icecrown and Storm Peaks eases the pain substantially. I've used up about 15-20 full stacks of Saronite bars (hundred and hundreds of ore), but I actually found Saronite much simpler, even now, to mine than any other WoW ore. It's spawn rate is insanely high in both Storm Peaks and Icecrown. Mining in general in Wrath is simple. Cobalt was an hour of work, and 1 bar for 1 ore makes it take an hour to gain 5 stacks.

Ryu

The Basin is also an EXCELLENT source of saronite and titanium. Give it a shot. Mobs aren't nearly as punishing there either.

Angry Grimace

TomServo said:
It's not the repitition, it's that to be right on top of my rotation I focus my attention on two things - my action bar and the target's frame. In a tough boss battle I feel like I spend 90% of my time looking there, and miss out on whatever's actually happening in the fight.

Any decent UI mods that let you shift your attention to what's actually happening, instead of watching timers?

As a PUG group leader, I'll never turn down someone who agrees to heal regardless of spec. More often that not though, it's the players themselves who pigeonhole their playstyle due to their leveling spec.

Me: "Interesting in healing <instance>?"
Hybrid: "Dude, I'm <dps> spec."
Me: "No worries, you want to try healing it anyway?"
Hyrrid: "I told you, I'm dps not healz!"
Me: "Thanks anyway. Good luck."
I ran UK with a guy who was a "serious raid guild member" and wanted to heal as an elemental shaman. He got mad and left on the second boss becuase my tanking sucked (read: his critical heals of 1,600 weren't helping much).

Macattk15

The Lamonster said:
I loved Un'Goro. It looks beautiful with max video settings. How are they similar?

I dunno, they are both kind of lush tropical areas. Though Sholazar is much more varied. Rivers, Plateaus, Quarries, Waterfalls ....

It is the only zone I could remotely compare to Un'goro out of all of the new ones in WotLK so I just assumed he was doing the same calling it Un'goro 2.0

Macattk15 said:
I dunno, they are both kind of lush tropical areas. Though Sholazar is much more varied. Rivers, Plateaus, Quarries, Waterfalls ....

It is the only zone I could remotely compare to Un'goro out of all of the new ones in WotLK so I just assumed he was doing the same calling it Un'goro 2.0
Sounds nice. Other beautiful zones: Feralas, Winterspring

Macattk15 said:
You haven't been to Northrend I take it? I'm guessing you'd like the look of every zone in Wrath ... I do at least.
Yeah, I can't wait. I'm only lvl 64 now though. Zangarmarsh looks great too but it kills my framerate.

In fact, that's probably my favorite thing about this game, the environments. Everywhere is so unique, I love it. Tanaris is really beautiful too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Yeah, I can't wait. I'm only lvl 64 now though. Zangarmarsh looks great too but it kills my framerate.

In fact, that's probably my favorite thing about this game, the environments. Everywhere is so unique, I love it. Tanaris is really beautiful too.
First toon?

Oh how I wish I was oblivious to the grind at level cap and that I was on a first character.

DeathNote said:
First toon?

Oh how I wish I was oblivious to the grind at level cap and that I was on a first character.
What grind are you talking about?

And yes, it's my first toon, first MMO. I love it. Been playing since February.

Yes I know I'm slow.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I spent 1-2K G powerleveling Tailoring, last night. It gets... painful. At about 405.

The economies of scale in 'cloth --> bolts --> imbued bolts' fuck with me every time. I mean, I know I'm going to need a shitload of cloth. I went through it with runecloth, netherweave, etc. So I hit the AH, and buy what I feel is a TON of cloth, dozens and dozens of stacks, and yet its inevitably like one fifth of the amount that I need. :lol :lol I never learn my lesson.

But anyway, I did manage to hit 420. I can now make the 20-slot Frostweave bags... and the mats for it actually aren't too bad (90 cloth and 12 Infinite Dust is all).

I would have kept grinding the skill up, but the special cloths (Ebonweave, Spellweave, etc.) are orange recipes, now. So I'll spend those 4-day cooldowns to skillup instead, since I'll be using that cloth anyway. Free skillups, more or less.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The Lamonster said:
What grind are you talking about?

And yes, it's my first toon, first MMO. I love it. Been playing since February.

Yes I know I'm slow.
See what I mean? :lol

At the highest level everyone is grinding their profession, gear, reputation, honor, instances. etc.etc. Huge time investment beyond leveling. Even the post above me is talking about how hard it is to grind his profession and how costly.

Just saying I wish it was my first character again and that I didn't see it all coming. Leveling for the first time was the best experience ever from WoW.

DeathNote said:
See what I mean? :lol

At the highest level everyone is grinding their profession, gear, reputation, honor, instances. etc.etc. Huge time investment beyond leveling. Even the post above me is talking about how hard it is to grind his profession and how costly.

Just saying I wish it was my first character again and that I didn't see it all coming. Leveling for the first time was the best experience ever from WoW.
Actually, I spent 3 hours mining last night because I had been neglecting it this whole time!

Yeah my main goals are to level up and aquire gold so I can get a flying mount when I hit 70. After that, I won't be too concerned with rep or maxing out professions.

At least, I don't think I will...

Kandinsky

After reading on both mages and locks, i think im going to be a frost/ice mage, i actually got warlock to 19 before quitting 2 years ago and had fun but i think im done with pet jobs in mmorpg's:D

Thanks.

Tamanon

Banned
Frost mages are pretty fun, gets a little annoying around the mid-20s because your frostbolt doesn't hit for that much at that level, but it clears up pretty quickly.

I hit 78 on the rogue last night. I've been doing Zul'Drak. I kinda wanted to do Sholazar but, I think I'm going to save that one to do with my hunter first. I also got my JC high enough to train for everything. Now I just need to do the dailies for the tokens to get the other designs. I'll just level the rest by cutting blue gems.

Angry Grimace

The Lamonster said:
Actually, I spent 3 hours mining last night because I had been neglecting it this whole time!

Yeah my main goals are to level up and aquire gold so I can get a flying mount when I hit 70. After that, I won't be too concerned with rep or maxing out professions.

At least, I don't think I will...
I feel dead chuffed that I spend approximately 4-6 hours grinding my mining and made about 6,000 gold.

I have a shiny new red gryphon!

I hit 80 and spent some time going between everfrost farming and Wintergrasp.

I love wintergrasp. So much.

Also hunters suck. Completely and totally. I don't even feel like I'm playing the same game.

Angry Grimace said:
I feel dead chuffed that I spend approximately 4-6 hours grinding my mining and made about 6,000 gold.

I have a shiny new red gryphon!
Nice! Thanks for the motivation!

Son of Godzilla said:
I hit 80 and spent some time going between everfrost farming and Wintergrasp.

I love wintergrasp. So much.

Also hunters suck. Completely and totally. I don't even feel like I'm playing the same game.
what? why?

Chris R

GDJustin said:
I spent 1-2K G powerleveling Tailoring, last night. It gets... painful. At about 405.

The economies of scale in 'cloth --> bolts --> imbued bolts' fuck with me every time. I mean, I know I'm going to need a shitload of cloth. I went through it with runecloth, netherweave, etc. So I hit the AH, and buy what I feel is a TON of cloth, dozens and dozens of stacks, and yet its inevitably like one fifth of the amount that I need. :lol :lol I never learn my lesson.

But anyway, I did manage to hit 420. I can now make the 20-slot Frostweave bags... and the mats for it actually aren't too bad (90 cloth and 12 Infinite Dust is all).

I would have kept grinding the skill up, but the special cloths (Ebonweave, Spellweave, etc.) are orange recipes, now. So I'll spend those 4-day cooldowns to skillup instead, since I'll be using that cloth anyway. Free skillups, more or less.
What have you done to level up so far?

Also anyone know of anything that can track quests so I know what I need to do to get the achievements later on? Doubt I'll get them before I ding 80, but it would be nice to know what quests I do need to do and not have to just go to every single quest giver to see if I have done that one.

Still not really liking Northrend on my mage, but I bet thats because the gear I have right now is from pre WOTLK crafting and heroics and not stacked with stam or resil

Alex

I've not been finding much cloth at all. I hope it improves, because I just gained a third of a level largely off of humanoids and ran a dungeon and found one piece of Frostweave.

Also, what is with the fucking public transportation now? The Northrend stuff. Everything takes some massive ass detour and takes forever to get to it's destination. It's as bad as FFXI was with it's boats/airships.

border

I am very worried about leveling my professions since they are all crafting, and I will have to buy all my mats (except cloth for tailoring). Blacksmithing, Engineering, and Alchemy will all have to be funded by auction house purchases.

Can I get a report from any high-level engineerers? Is there a new version of the helm/mote extractor that allows us to be both a crafting and a gathering profession?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Angry Grimace said:
I ran UK with a guy who was a "serious raid guild member" and wanted to heal as an elemental shaman. He got mad and left on the second boss becuase my tanking sucked (read: his critical heals of 1,600 weren't helping much).
:lol

What the hell? Either he was in Enhancement spec, or he was using a low rank of Lesser Healing Wave or something.

border said:
Can I get a report from any high-level engineerers? Is there a new version of the helm/mote extractor that allows us to be both a crafting and a gathering profession?

There is a new helm but, you use the same mote extractor.

Chris R

Alex said:
I've not been finding much cloth at all. I hope it improves, because I just gained a third of a level largely off of humanoids and ran a dungeon and found one piece of Frostweave.
I've kinda run into the same thing with cloth... I have the extra thing for bonus cloth off mobs, so I either get no cloth, or 3x :lol

speedpop said:
:lol

What the hell? Either he was in Enhancement spec, or he was using a low rank of Lesser Healing Wave or something.

Can't downrank. Musta been enh though.

I was griping how little I got as a tailor in Borean and Dragonblight first day or two, then I realized that was WITH that finding deal thingie. That and GDjustin's post up there scares me.

Although, if T7 seems as easy to experienced raiders as its shook out to be so far, I could AH it all for $$$.

In the here and now though, I need to find my new Socrethar's Seat and pronto.

Holy Priests are passe man.

Hi. 2.0 called; it wants its bad theorycrafting back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seriously, I have more gold than I would've ever imagined now and I'm thinking of buying a mammoth (heck, I could buy TWO!)... anyone tell me if they're worth it? Also, are there any more colors to choose from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom