• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
CassSept said:
I just asked, because on main page i've seen 15/53/3, which is most... unusual.
Especially since it's a spec without Relentless Strikes, a basic talent for all specs, both PvE and PvP....

If everyone uses it, they'll never make it one point again. I'm just doing my part. :D

Epix

vumpler said:
Hey ret pallies:

My wife is a ret pally that is slowly getting geared up. However I feel her DPS could be much higher for the gear she has. What attack progression do you use and are there any tricks I could pass along? She basically just uses what's on max dps and pounds on Seal of Command, judgement of light, crusader strike, devine storm over and over.
Basically we work on a "if it's up then cast it" system with some caveats depending on how many mobs there are.

One mob (boss):
1) Hammer of Wrath (if mob is below 20%)
2) Judgments
3) Crusader Strike
4) Divine Storm
5) Consecration
6) Exorcism

2-4 mobs:
1) Divine Storm
2) Consecration
3) Hammer of Wrath (if mob is below 20%)
4) Judgments
5) Crusader Strike
6) Exorcism

> 4 mobs:
1) Consecration
2) Divine Storm
3) Hammer of Wrath (if mob is below 20%)
4) Judgments
5) Crusader Strike
6) Exorcism

CassSept

Oni Link 666 said:
If everyone uses it, they'll never make it one point again. I'm just doing my part. :D
Oh christ, but this build just plain sucks, omitting Relentless Strikes and putting three points into master of deception is like putting in pve build imp gouge instead of DW spec, or remorseless attacks over malice...
This 5/5/5 is a starting template for any build, seriously, this is where you should start if you are showing off your char - at least respec. Especially if you want to do better dps, opinion of rogues is already horrible and you're not helping it :p

Oni Link 666 said:
How about you guys just STFU about it? I'm just showing off my gear. I really don't care what you think about my spec. Especially when all people have to say is "OMG WTF is that? LULZ". I've been playing a rogue for four fucking years. I know what the fuck I'm doing.

Fuck.

Your gear isn't special enough to care about so people are going to focus on your (apparently shitty) spec or maybe your lack of heroic raiding achievements. Deal with it or GTFO.

Epix said:
One mob (boss):
1) Hammer of Wrath (if mob is below 20%)
2) Judgments
3) Crusader Strike
4) Divine Storm
5) Consecration
6) Exorcism

Crusader Strike takes priority over Judgment to avoid cooldown collisions. If you always judge first you end up effectively having an 8 second CS cooldown.

Seal of Blood is a much better DPS seal than Command and has the added benefit of helping sustain your mana pool.

There isn't much else to add. DPS'ing as Ret is incredibly easy and straightforward.

So tailoring/enchanting seems absolutely useless at lower levels. I'm level 29 and about to get my mount but only had 10g, since neither of those professions created anything useful and just cost money. I picked up mining this morning and after getting 15 nodes of copper I somehow managed to make 20g. What's the point of a useless profession like tailoring? I picked it up so I could make gear for myself as I leveled, but all the gear I could make always ended up being like 10 levels lower then I needed.

Epix

cubicle47b said:
Crusader Strike takes priority over Judgment to avoid cooldown collisions. If you always judge first you end up effectively having an 8 second CS cooldown.

Seal of Blood is a much better DPS seal than Command and has the added benefit of helping sustain your mana pool.

There isn't much else to add. DPS'ing as Ret is incredibly easy and straightforward.
You're right about the seal of blood, it's much better. You're wrong about the Judgment though. If you cast the Judgment as you run toward the mob (before CS is in range) then it should come off it's CD when CS comes off it's CD. The Judgment CD is 8 sec and the CS is 6 secs but if you have the T7 4pc bonus the Judgment CD is only 7 secs. Meaning that it basically works out perfect if you Judge first then after the 1sec GCD cast CS. They should both come CD together. Then repeat. Judgments do so much more DPS than CS that it's more beneficial to wait an extra second in order to cast it as soon as it's available (and not cast something else that blocks it for a GCD).

Macattk15

funkmastergeneral said:
So tailoring/enchanting seems absolutely useless at lower levels. I'm level 29 and about to get my mount but only had 10g, since neither of those professions created anything useful and just cost money. I picked up mining this morning and after getting 15 nodes of copper I somehow managed to make 20g. What's the point of a useless profession like tailoring? I picked it up so I could make gear for myself as I leveled, but all the gear I could make always ended up being like 10 levels lower then I needed.

Nothing. You are correct. Tailoring is very lackluster. Enchanting isn't really that great either.

The ring enchants are decent I guess and if you're in a guild you can usually get free enchants from your guild enchant whore.

I was mining/blacksmithing for quite a while .... and just recently I went to jewelcrafting/blacksmithing .... best min/max profession combo there is.

I generally buy 100g of Saronite Ore a day and prospect it, often make more than I spent by just doing that and cutting the gems (Thanks Bold / Runed Scarlet Ruby!).

JoeFu

Banned
vumpler said:
Hey ret pallies:

My wife is a ret pally that is slowly getting geared up. However I feel her DPS could be much higher for the gear she has. What attack progression do you use and are there any tricks I could pass along? She basically just uses what's on max dps and pounds on Seal of Command, judgement of light, crusader strike, devine storm over and over.

Well... I offspec ret, but what is her dps? And that is the basic rotation but consecrate will help dps too. What level is she? Seal of Blood/Martyr( i think that's the ally equivalent) is the preferred DPS seal at the moment I think.

And I saw everybody replying to the question a little late.

And yeah... dps as pally is a little to easy. My friend who just hit 80 last night went straight to heroics with us got to about 1k dps without learning his new skills and stuff and has sucky gear, while a rogue in our guild is pretty well geared only hits 1.3.

Epix said:
You're right about the seal of blood, it's much better. You're wrong about the Judgment though. If you cast the Judgment as you run toward the mob (before CS is in range) then it should come off it's CD when CS comes off it's CD. The Judgment CD is 8 sec and the CS is 6 secs but if you have the T7 4pc bonus the Judgment CD is only 7 secs. Meaning that it basically works out perfect if you Judge first then after the 1sec GCD cast CS. They should both come CD together. Then repeat. Judgments do so much more DPS than CS that it's more beneficial to wait an extra second in order to cast it as soon as it's available (and not cast something else that blocks it for a GCD).

She doesn't have the T7 4pc bonus, though.

Epix

cubicle47b said:
She doesn't have the T7 4pc bonus, though.
I understand, but even so the fact that Judgment dps is higher than CS means it's always more beneficial to cast as many Judgments in a fight as possible. This sometimes means forcing CS or anything else to wait the GCD in order to ensure that the Judgment gets cast as soon as it's available.

If you always judge first you lose a CS every 24 seconds. If you always CS first you delay 1 judgment a GCD every 24 seconds. Unless the fight has a lot of movement that makes it hard to stay in melee range always judging first doesn't make sense.

edit: Judging first makes sense if CS doesn't always get stuck behind Judgment in your rotation. It doesn't work for me because I can't ever make this jump - Judge, CS ... CS, Judge because of lag (500ms or so) and the way the client works with abilities on cooldown (during shadowbolt spam you can hit the button before your current cast goes off to start the next thanks to client changes which isn't possible with abilities on cooldown).

Epix

cubicle47b said:
If you always judge first you lose a CS every 24 seconds. If you always CS first you delay 1 judgment a GCD every 24 seconds. Unless the fight has a lot of movement that makes it hard to stay in melee range always judging first doesn't make sense.

edit: Judging first makes sense if CS doesn't always get stuck behind Judgment in your rotation. It doesn't work for me because I can't ever make this jump - Judge, CS ... CS, Judge because of lag (500ms or so) and the way the client works with abilities on cooldown (during shadowbolt spam you can hit the button before your current cast goes off to start the next thanks to client changes which isn't possible with abilities on cooldown).
It seems to work perfect for me but I'm using the T7 4pc bonus (although I think the methodology is the same). Basically I just have a priority value in my head for each of the attacks (and it changes based on how many mobs there are). I always cast the top priority attack whenever it's available and so on. If I notice casting something like Exorcism at a particular time is going to cause me to have to wait a GCD to cast a Judgment then I don't cast the Exorcism and wait half a second and cast the Judgment and then the Exorcism. Works very well for me.

I suggest getting Recount if you don't have it already and parsing your DPS report after a long raid. You'll be surprised at just how much (and how little) different attacks contribute to your overall dps.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cubicle47b said:
Your gear isn't special enough to care about so people are going to focus on your (apparently shitty) spec or maybe your lack of heroic raiding achievements. Deal with it or GTFO.
A heroic raiding achievement unless it's Sartharion 3D is pretty much meaningless. It's the mark of a good player that you don't die on Thaddius or Heigan, the two fights in Naxxramas that require any coordination at all; it's Super Mario Bros. 1-1 level platforming to get through most of Naxxramas on Heroic.

firex

vumpler said:
Hey ret pallies:

pve she should be using seal of blood/martyr (if you're filthy alliance, you get martyr). ret pally rotation is FCFS, although my rotation was basically set up so I just rolled down the keys in order of shortest cooldowns. So crusader strike, judgement, divine storm, repeat and keep hammer of wrath nearby for spamming when the mob is in execute range.

Epix said:
I suggest getting Recount if you don't have it already and parsing your DPS report after a long raid. You'll be surprised at just how much (and how little) different attacks contribute to your overall dps.

I raid as Holy but I know the DPS breakdown. Judgment is at 25% (probably higher for you with 4pc T7). CS is ~10%. If I'm stationary for a little over 20 seconds I get a small increase by prioritizing CS. The difference is smaller than I thought, though (probably not worth bothering with since you'd have to change priorities in different circumstances), and only applies if your latency is bad enough that you always Judge -> CS.

Angry Grimace said:
A heroic raiding achievement unless it's Sartharion 3D is pretty much meaningless. It's the mark of a good player that you don't die on Thaddius or Heigan, the two fights in Naxxramas that require any coordination at all; it's Super Mario Bros. 1-1 level platforming to get through most of Naxxramas on Heroic.

Immortal. You can easily get carried on Sarth 3D. I was really talking about people commenting on the lack of heroic achievements which people do all the time on the R&D forum.

So my 80 DK tank is getting pretty geared, and I have little to do with him when not raiding, so I'm leveling my Shaman which is currently 73. It's Elemental and I'll probably stay Elemental on it. After that I'm going to level my second Paladin, which is currently only 42. And it's a Dwarf...Damn it, I have no idea why I did that. Should have done Draenei so I could have Gift of the Naaru since I'll be Holy at 80. And I hate Dwarves. Damn if.

firex

ToyMachine228 said:
So my 80 DK tank is getting pretty geared, and I have little to do with him when not raiding, so I'm leveling my Shaman which is currently 73. It's Elemental and I'll probably stay Elemental on it. After that I'm going to level my second Paladin, which is currently only 42. And it's a Dwarf...Damn it, I have no idea why I did that. Should have done Draenei so I could have Gift of the Naaru since I'll be Holy at 80. And I hate Dwarves. Damn if.
You can change a character's race with the paid character modify, right?

TomServo

cubicle47b said:
Immortal. You can easily get carried on Sarth 3D. I was really talking about people commenting on the lack of heroic achievements which people do all the time on the R&D forum.

I'll never get Immortal. I've done multiple Naxx10 and Naxx25 runs withouth dying, but someone else always eats it.

cubicle47b said:

Eh, if you can get carried on Normal Mode Sarth 3D, then those other 9 players are amazing sauce. Just saying.

I got Undying but can't get Immortal. Finding 9 others who won't die on stuff in Naxx is fine. Finding 24 other players gets a bit rough.

CassSept said:
Oh christ, but this build just plain sucks, omitting Relentless Strikes and putting three points into master of deception is like putting in pve build imp gouge instead of DW spec, or remorseless attacks over malice...
This 5/5/5 is a starting template for any build, seriously, this is where you should start if you are showing off your char - at least respec. Especially if you want to do better dps, opinion of rogues is already horrible and you're not helping it :p

cubicle47b said:

I'm just going to put you two and anyone else who wants to talk about my spec on ignore and keep doing what I'm doing. :D

Macattk15

cvkpaladin said:
Eh, if you can get carried on Normal Mode Sarth 3D, then those other 9 players are amazing sauce. Just saying.

I got Undying but can't get Immortal. Finding 9 others who won't die on stuff in Naxx is fine. Finding 24 other players gets a bit rough.

Would of had Undying this week ... but some stupid Ret Pally killed himself on Loatheb with Blood I believe ... or so he says.

Camping the Time Lost Proto Drake.......so boring hitting the same macro over and over

But the drake hasn't been looted since the rolling restarts this morning

But so boring ugh

Ashodin

Xabora said:
PTR might go up tonight. :O
Blue said:
Patch 3.1 ETA
We're working to get 3.1 up soon. It won't have all of the class changes in it initially though.

Feels like Beta again! :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the PTR launches tonight, though. They are definitely ready to start some testing, and I'm ready to NOM NOM NOM some patch notes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maxrpg said:
Feels like Beta again! :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the PTR launches tonight, though. They are definitely ready to start some testing, and I'm ready to NOM NOM NOM some patch notes.
I can't wait to plunge into the depths of Ulduar only to find a sinister elite Gnoll Chieftain named "Yogger" waiting at the end.

Dammit, I tried to xfer a toon. It kept displaying an error message, so naturally I made multiple attempts. I'm pretty sure I'm getting charged over $100 dollars. On the official forums a glitch is being reported.

Xabora said:
PTR might go up tonight. :O
Will it have premades?

Cipherr

oh wow....PTR so soon? Theres no way.....

Oh and we were doing all of the 10 man achievements in a custom put together guild run of Naxx last week and we missed undying because Sarth dropped two perfectly placed blizzards and iceblocks.

The tank had to try and run through two snaring blizzards to the opposite side of the room where both the ice blocks ended up (because all of us ranged dps and healers goofed and stacked a single side of the room /sigh). It was so close, I realize he was screwed and toggled aspect of the pack and ran to get within intervene range of him so he could gtfo of the blizzard but as we got to the ice blocks, apparently I was just behind it enough to not get hit, but he was about a centimeter out and got killed.

Vent went nuts lol, we had done all of the other achievements that run until that point and were looking to 1 night the whole thing (with the exception of the 8 man ones). Now we have to run 10 man Naxx again (noone likes doing it...) for that undying.

We decided to start a group to go for Undying tonight and had 0 deaths until the warlock DC'd on KT and was immediately shadow fissured (5 seconds after the DC). Awesome. Oh well, 2 1/2 hours per attempt isn't bad.

zam

Oni Link 666 said:
How about you guys just STFU about it? I'm just showing off my gear. I really don't care what you think about my spec. Especially when all people have to say is "OMG WTF is that? LULZ". I've been playing a rogue for four fucking years. I know what the fuck I'm doing.

Fuck.
Apparently not if your using that spec... Ignoring the fact that 5/5 CQC and 5/5 Sword may not be the best idea, not taking Relentless Strikes and putting 3 points in Master of Deception and 1 point in Endurance is just plain bad for PvE. You are seriously gimping your dps by ignoring talents that actually help you DPS and instead putting points in talents that dont.

If you feel that your spec has any advantages over a spec that does more PvE DPS (e.g 7/51/13 spec), please explain. Just trying to offer some criticism.

firex

half a moon said:
Dammit, I tried to xfer a toon. It kept displaying an error message, so naturally I made multiple attempts. I'm pretty sure I'm getting charged over $100 dollars. On the official forums a glitch is being reported.
Don't worry, they'll reverse that shit and probably give you some free playing time. Or hell, if you do get charged that amount, you can bitch and they'll probably give you $100 worth of free playing time and reverse the charges for you.

Yeah, random DCs while trying to get Undying sucks. For Glory of the Raider meta achievement, I still need Just Can't Get Enough, You Don't Have An Eternity, and The Twilight Zone.

Just Can't Get Enough should be fairly easy. However, the other two achievements sound extremely hard to get. =(

Spruchy

Oni Link 666 said:
Like I said before, I have been playing a Rogue for over 4 years now. I know what I'm doing and I don't need anyone's help with specs. I already know about everything you just said. I never said my spec does more DPS. That spec is just what fits how I like to play. I refuse to play with a spec I don't like just because some dude with a spreadsheet on EJ says I should. I like my stealth and eviscerates, ok?

And who said being bad isnt fun?

Angry Grimace

BigJonsson said:
Had a bad night at Malygos tonight......we downed him with no one alive :lol
Did he hit the enrage timer with 32 stacks of Engulf o_O

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
in their defense oni (and knowing NOTHING about rogues) there have been like 4-6 people now tell you exactly why they felt that your build was lacking and all of them basically saying the same thing. your defense on the other hand has come down to "I like playing my build and I know how to play my character" which is certainly fine, but really does nothing to counter with WHY you like your build. I know the references started out pretty harsh, but speaking just to you, if the best you can retort with is just that "you like playing your build" it certainly might not hurt to explore what they're saying, even if you've been playing for 4 years. As for your comments about not caring about min/max DPSing etc etc... well no offense but you're a DPS class 100%. There is no hybrid for you, so if you don't totally care about DPS umm.. why are you playing a rogue? If you do care about DPS (which I am assuming you do) then you SHOULD be interested in maximizing it to get every last point out of it.

just my thoughts at least.

borghe said:
in their defense oni (and knowing NOTHING about rogues) there have been like 4-6 people now tell you exactly why they felt that your build was lacking and all of them basically saying the same thing. your defense on the other hand has come down to "I like playing my build and I know how to play my character" which is certainly fine, but really does nothing to counter with WHY you like your build. I know the references started out pretty harsh, but speaking just to you, if the best you can retort with is just that "you like playing your build" it certainly might not hurt to explore what they're saying, even if you've been playing for 4 years. As for your comments about not caring about min/max DPSing etc etc... well no offense but you're a DPS class 100%. There is no hybrid for you, so if you don't totally care about DPS umm.. why are you playing a rogue? If you do care about DPS (which I am assuming you do) then you SHOULD be interested in maximizing it to get every last point out of it.

just my thoughts at least.

Not everyone plays this game with the min/max attitude a lot of people have. He enjoys playing the build he has and so be it. People in WoW have become so elitist about DPS and stats, I remember when I was level 60 running Strat Scholo and UBRS and asked for a group invite no one ever asked me to link my dps or achievements.

Arp3ggi0

Neo Member
funkmastergeneral said:
Not everyone plays this game with the min/max attitude a lot of people have. He enjoys playing the build he has and so be it. People in WoW have become so elitist about DPS and stats, I remember when I was level 60 running Strat Scholo and UBRS and asked for a group invite no one ever asked me to link my dps or achievements.

So it's elitist to prefer someone who does good dps for a PUG dps spot? It's fine if someone doesn't want to min/max, as long as they understand that people will prefer someone with a min/max build. Speaking just about pugs, why wouldn't you take the most qualified person?

You're right, nobody asked for stats or achievements, but PUGS also failed a lot back then. Maybe they should have asked for stats.

That said, gear, stats, and achievements aren't the end-all. A lack of gear can be overcome with a skilled player, to a certain extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom