• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
onemic said:
Is 3.1 going live today? Because for some reason WoW is downloading the 3.09 to 3.1 patch right now.

Nah, that's the background downloader. It's not live yet. Probably another week or two.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tamanon said:
Nah, that's the background downloader. It's not live yet. Probably another week or two.

You think it will be ready in a week or 2? More like 1 month knowing Blizzard..and even then, i'm not so sure.

Tamanon

Banned
Bisnic said:
You think it will be ready in a week or 2? More like 1 month knowing Blizzard..and even then, i'm not so sure.

Ulduar testing has been going at a real good clip. Plus they want it up before Easter because of the Noblegarden stuff. Plus, you'll notice the class balancing tweaks have been drastically decreased over the beginning of the PTR.

Xabora

Oni Link 666 said:
I was just checking out the PTR and that new Undead charger is just Baron Rivendare's mount with a different name. It's called Blue Skeletal Warhorse. They said it was going to be black. I guess they turned off the specular maps too. My cursed cat looks just like it does on live again. So lame. I hope the charger is just place holder and they'll turn on the spec maps again.
Blue Skeletal Warhorse
Black Skeletal Horse

Extended maintenance today? Man that's a bummer, I have to go to work at 4 :[ I liked it better when I was in high school, and servers were going up as I got out of school. I preferred not having a job...

funkmastergeneral said:
Extended maintenance today? Man that's a bummer, I have to go to work at 4 :[ I liked it better when I was in high school, and servers were going up as I got out of school. I preferred not having a job...

I have morning shifts i love that the maintence is in the morning....OH and i just started playing wow since 12/25/08 and i'm actually liking the game just wish ppl weren't so stupid on windrunner...oh well.

49 mage (frost)
60 DK (Blood)
72 Hunter (BM)

Any tips I should really know? I have a friend helping me but he doesn't raid/instance and I have been doing a few with randoms and I enjoy it but hard as hell to keep a group going because ppl drop so much......

So? They said Black Skeletal Horse was going to be added and the only new one in Brill is a Blue Skeletal Warhorse which looks just like the Baron's.

zam

Latest moneymaking scheme: Stock up on/farm assloads of Icy Dragonscales. When 3.1 hits they ae gonna skyocket in price since you need 40 of them to make the new epic leatherworking belts and boots, which are all ilvl 226 and better stats than the curent best in slot belts or boots. Havent decided if I'm gonna make tons of them (since they are BoE) and sell or just sell the Icy Dragonscales.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
zam said:
Latest moneymaking scheme: Stock up on/farm assloads of Icy Dragonscales. When 3.1 hits they ae gonna skyocket in price since you need 40 of them to make the new epic leatherworking belts and boots, which are all ilvl 226 and better stats than the curent best in slot belts or boots. Havent decided if I'm gonna make tons of them (since they are BoE) and sell or just sell the Icy Dragonscales.
So we should farm the piss out of them then? I'm not a skinner but my wife is... I guess I could use her character :/

Alex

Dudes, if you haven't seen this video yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AkIfgioA4

You need to watch it, it's so great. By far the best of the Vent Harrasment type videos. He records audio clips of the folks in the channel talking then replays it. These guys were totally baffled.

It's surely more listenable when you hear people in good spirits rather than shrieking, irate teenagers.

I'm receiving WoW for my birthday and had some questions since this will be the first MMO I've played:

1.) I'm receiving the battle chest and am wondering if I install Burning Crusade immediately will I miss anything from vanilla WoW?
2.) If I upgrade to WotLK anytime soon will I be able to do anything with that expansion? (IE: I've heard you need to be a high level player to fully utilize all of WotLK)
3.) Does anyone have any good beginner guides I could familiarize myself with in the mean time?

Alex

striKeVillain! said:
I'm receiving WoW for my birthday and had some questions since this will be the first MMO I've played:

1.) I'm receiving the battle chest and am wondering if I install Burning Crusade immediately will I miss anything from vanilla WoW?
2.) If I upgrade to WotLK anytime soon will I be able to do anything with that expansion? (IE: I've heard you need to be a high level player to fully utilize all of WotLK)
3.) Does anyone have any good beginner guides I could familiarize myself with in the mean time?

1.) No, you won't miss anything, you wont be able to make a Draenei or Blood Elf if you're interested in those two races without Burning Crusade, actually.

2.) Inscription, Death Knights, probably some other misc knick-knacks.

3.) Tons, you could look at http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=69355&sid=1

They host a ton of misc guide for starters.

striKeVillain! said:

1. No. In fact, if you want to be a Draenei or Blood Elf you should install it before you start playing. Those 2 races start at level 1 and are only available to those with BC installed.

2. You can get a mage to port you to Dalaran. Then you can set your hearth (home point) there and use the portals there for easy traveling. Beats the hell out of using the gryphons/chimeras to travel at low levels.

3. I don't have any but, I'm sure you can easily download a guide somewhere. I just use these sites.

http://www.wowhead.com/
http://thottbot.com/
http://www.wowwiki.com/

vumpler

striKeVillain! said:
Thanks for the input guys. One last quick question: What realm should I look at that's a little more lenient to beginners?
Gilneas isn't bad. It's where I play. It's not pvp, but i think pvp is completely useless and a pain in the ass. There are not any advantages only disadvantages. World PVP has been dead in WoW since almost before vanilla WoW. There are no true rewards for killing someone so its really useless. I fully promote PvE realms and would have to say Gilneas is the best of the 4 servers I've played.

Swag

So I've kinda done everything I can as far as gearing my Holy Paladin up at 80 pre raiding, I have a few valorous pieces and some Malygos stuff but pretty much I need nothing that isn't in a weekly reset zone.

So I decided to level up a DK but I had a question about the talent trees, I really like the unholy tree but people tell me that Blood is usually the one that is used for leveling because it has a lot of life steal / regeneration talents. Figured I'd ask here because quite a few of you guys seem to play DKs

Retro

striKeVillain! said:
The only thing that you'll notice early on from The Burning Crusade are the two new playable races and four new early zones to the game. This will affect which class / race combination you can play as (see below).

As far as the starting zones go, understand that the Draenei / Blood Elf starting areas are organized much better than the other racial areas; you pick up quests, they all generally resolve in the same area, you go back, and they give you more for the next area. The other starting areas tend to send you off in odd directions occasionally.

striKeVillain! said:
Nah, there's absolutely nothing in WotLK for a low level player. This includes the Inscription profession that a few people have mentioned. Inscription was added to regular TBC WoW before Lich King launched.

striKeVillain! said:
People have posted good ones already, I would highly recommend Wowwiki just because you can wander around topics and get a rough idea what everything is.

striKeVillain! said:
Thanks for the input guys. One last quick question: What realm should I look at that's a little more lenient to beginners?
Don't think about being a beginner. Almost all of your time in WoW is going to be spent at the end game. In which case you want a High or Medium population server, so there are plenty of people to group with. Nothing sucks worse than ending up on a dead server where nobody does anything.

PVP tends to be a little more frustrating, though I miss the danger-around-every-corner aspect sometimes. PVE will be friendlier to you. Anything with RP in the title will be more trouble to a new player than it's worth.

General Advice:
1. Move at your own pace. There may be a great temptation to race to level 80; don't do it. You will have plenty of time to enjoy the endgame once you get there (and since it is always changing, missing it now won't mean missing out on it forever), but once you've quested your way to 80, doing it again can be terribly boring. Enjoy the sights and sounds, read the quest text. People always overlook it and while it's nothing AMAZING, it is still worthy of your attention.

2. General Chat and Trade chat are not your friends unless you enjoy beating your testicles between two bricks. Trade chat is not for trading, general chat is not for general chatting. It is for tom fuckery.

3. Avoid the Auction House. You will get quest rewards and drops soon enough, so save your money for the big gold sinks (mounts, training, etc) and ignore buying gear you'll replace in a few levels.

3A. Really, I mean it, Avoid the Auction House. There are people who ignore the entire game and focus exclusively on sitting at the auction house and buying/selling commodities for a profit. Anything you want or need is going to cost you much more than it rightly should because of the market. Avoid things like cloth and crafting materials.

4. Gathering Professions are the quiickest route to making money. Mining and Herbalism are tops, Leather working is very good. Enchanting is not; although it can turn a profit very nicely, it is expensive as fuck to make it up to that point. Don't walk into a town and be wow'd by these guys selling enchants for hundreds of gold; they paid thousands to get there.

5. Nothing you make with a crafting profession will be of much use until you are at the top end of that profession. Do not expect to wear your Green Iron Shoulders for more than two levels and don't expect to sell them for anywhere near what they cost to make. That said, crafting professions can be very useful later on. Just don't expect them to supplement your gear because usually, they won't.

6. Do not let the game steal your soul. Seriously. If you're even slightly debating about having an addictive personality, watch yourself. This game has a way of being amazing right up to the point where you can't stop. Limit yourself.

7. No matter what class you pick, someone will hate you, consider you unfairly overpowered and uselessly underpowered. ALL AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME. Ignore them. Pick the class you want, and give it until level 20 or so before you quit on it. Hit us up if you have any questions about a specific class, here's a really really rough and cynical summary of each;

Warrior:
You will be a pretty dangerous customer at all times. At end game, you will be expected to tank stuff. You also have DPS trees, but those are generally not for you. Those are for other warriors who are not you. It is assumed that all warriors are protection warriors, and it's easier just to meet those expectations than to try to explain "No, I'm Arms" or "Wait, I'm Fury". You will be met only with blank expressions.

Druid:
Does just enough of everything to piss everyone else off. They heal, they damage, they tank, they cast, they support, and although they aren't supposed to be able to do all of those things better than anyone else, they usually do in one or two of those areas. For a few months. Then everyone bitches and they get 'rebalanced', and then two of your other strong points are better than everyone else, and the cycle begins again. But you can turn into a bear. Rawr.

Paladin:
Everybody laughs at paladins until a paladin destroys / saves them. Then they still laugh, but not as loudly. You can be the most boring healer in the game, the most ambiguous tank in the game, or the most utterly despised and mocked DPS class in the game. No matter which you pick, Blizzard will inevitably find a way to make your job less fun while making it more difficult, which in turn fuels paladin self-hate, the strongest fucking force in the game. A paladin pissed off that his class is mangled yet again will outperform any other healer / tank / DPS... AT THE SAME TIME. Masochists only, please. If you want to play a Horde Paladin, prepare to be called every slang term for a homosexual in the book.

Priest:
You will learn to play whack-a-mole with other peoples' health while ignoring the rest of the game. Unless you go shadow spec, in which case the rest of the game will ignore you, unless they need mana, in which case they will pretend not to ignore you quite so much.

Mage:
You will cast spells and turn people into sheep. You will fight with warlocks and priests over loot. You will serve as a snack foods wholesaler to everyone, everywhere, at all times. You are a walking, talking vending machine. And you will blow shit up; that's about all there is to mages as near as I can tell.

Shaman:
Like the paladin, you will be utterly mishandled by Blizzard, who has no idea what to do with your class. Hasn't had any clue since they implemented cross factions. You will heal, cast, and melee depending on your talent spec, but you will always have to deal with Blizzard's Totem system, which is about as frustrating as they come. In general, shamans are slightly more respected than paladins, but passed over for paladins more often. But at least you don't wear pink armor. If you want to play an alliance shaman, be prepared to play a blueberry goat from outer space. No I am not kidding.

Warlock:

Everyone will hate you because for every single day until last December, you basically curb-stomped everyone you met in PVP. Warlocks are still dealing with residual hate. As a caster that specializes in using a demon pet and causing damage over time, you're more or less a mage with better survivability. A somewhat complicated but enjoyable class.

Hunter:
Everyone everywhere will despise you and call you a Huntard. For whatever reason you want to believe in, Hunters are a class that most new players choose. They have a cool pet, they get neat armor, they can shoot stuff and use two swords at once... whatever. Learn to trap, learn to manage your pet, and learn what loot is ACTUALLY MEANT FOR YOU and you'll actually lead a not-too-shabby life. Unless you are a night elf, in which case you are kill on sight. Everyone hates Night Elf Hunters.

Rogue:
You are there to annoy people on PVP servers and make cool youtube movies showing the highlights of your career as a professional douchebag, set to a Rammestein soundtrack. Or you can stab stuff really hard until it falls down, and then gloat about how much bigger your numbers on the damage meter are. Either/or. Just understand that rogues don't bring much utility to a group, so people will often pick other classes instead of you. Win them over with your unflinching kindness and their desire not to see leather go completely to waste.

Hope I didn't ruin the game for ya. :lol

Kyoufu

Retro said:
Priest:
You will learn to play whack-a-mole with other peoples' health while ignoring the rest of the game. Unless you go shadow spec, in case the rest of the game will ignore you, unless they need mana, in which case they will pretend not to ignore you quite so much.

Don't listen to this man. Shadow Priests are loved by all in PVE, and while they suck in PVP currently, 3.1 patch should fix some survivability issues. <3 Priest.

vumpler

Kyoufu said:
Don't listen to this man. Shadow Priests are loved by all in PVE, and while they suck in PVP currently, 3.1 patch should fix some survivability issues. <3 Priest.
My main preBC was a priest. I rolled shammy when BC hit and have never looked back. Shadow Priests don't offer as much to a raid in 3.0.x so they have been pretty useless. Now that we're about to hit 3.1 they could be of some use, we might actually need more mana :lol

Retro

Kyoufu said:

The problem with Shadow Priests in WotLK is that the amazing utility they brought before has been diluted and pillaged by other classes. Classes that also can't heal like a non-shadow priest can. As a result, shadow priests are generally passed over in favor of a hunter's stronger DPS / utility or a Ret Paladin's... um... whatever it is Blizzard thinks it is Ret paladins should be doing this month (Right now they only seem to be there to 'thwack stuff' when not putting Blessing of Kings on people because the Prot and Holy paladins sure don't want to waste 5 points.)

Shadow priests are fantastic, as long as they're willing to spec for healing 'sometimes'. By which I mean 'all the time'. Welcome to the World of Warcraft, where the joy you once felt playing your favorite class has been whittled away in the name of balancing arenas. :lol

Kyoufu

vumpler said:
My main preBC was a priest. I rolled shammy when BC hit and have never looked back. Shadow Priests don't offer as much to a raid in 3.0.x so they have been pretty useless. Now that we're about to hit 3.1 they could be of some use, we might actually need more mana :lol

Shadow Priest offers:

the usual priest buffs, raid healing via Vampiric Embrace, raid mana replenishment and awesome ranged DPS.

Plus shadow priests can always heal if shit becomes messy. For example when someone eats a frost blast from KT or an AoE heal after the debuff has worn off at that boss whose name I forget. Tanking the caster bosses in the Four Horsemen fight is also very nice.

Also Mind Sear is currently the highest DPS AoE in the game. My damage meter flies into the sky when fighting a pack of mobs.

And then there is Disc Priest, which is just so sexy in raids and PVP. Can't wait for dual-spec!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I don't really understand the idea that warlocks have ever had it easy in PvP.

Maybe S1/S2, but honestly - to play a warlock requires an insane gear commitment from 1500 on.

Retro

dave is ok said:

You and the rest of the warlocks. For whatever reason, somewhere between the chain fears, debuff-stealing pets, life taps, and self-resurrection, the class got a bad name for being jerks in PVP. It may or may not be true, but as far as I can tell on my server, the overall perception is that you bastards had it coming. :D

Chris R

dave is ok said:

Maybe S1/S2, but honestly - to play a warlock requires an insane gear commitment from 1500 on.
Hi there, you know that the game know as the World of Warcraft did actually and factually exist before the coming of this abomination known as "Arena" and the expansion labeled TBC. In this time of old, Warlocks, also known as "Facerollers" owned PvP. Thank you for your time :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kyoufu said:
1 Shadow Priest Limit

If there is more then 1, You're pushing it. :lol

The biggest tip, Get on the good side of Mages, Paladin Tanks, and Priest Healers. You can tell every other class to piss off. And one warlock! :lol

Kyoufu

shintoki said:
1 Shadow Priest Limit

If there is more then 1, You're pushing it. :lol

The biggest tip, Get on the good side of Mages, Paladin Tanks, and Priest Healers. You can tell every other class to piss off. And one warlock! :lol

lol I did 10 man naxx today with a fellow SP and we both topped the DPS meters.

Although I must admit I am trying to get off-spec healing gear for Discipline. Disc is just sex sex sex.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
rhfb said:
Hi there, you know that the game know as the World of Warcraft did actually and factually exist before the coming of this abomination known as "Arena" and the expansion labeled TBC. In this time of old, Warlocks, also known as "Facerollers" owned PvP. Thank you for your time :lol
You have no clue what you're talking about

Fear was abusable before the million of counters were implemented. But for the first years of WoW, two things were true.

1. Shaman were gods at PvP
2. Warlocks were a joke of a class, owned by almost anything.

I've been playing for years, don't try your revisionist history on me.

Hmmm

Just killed Dirkee, no TLPD yet unless the server query is lying to me.......

Now to ponder my next move

Keep camping it, or just say fuck it cause the drake might not spawn until at least 6am

dave is ok

aztek is ok
BigJonsson said:
Hmmm

Just killed Dirkee, no TLPD yet unless the server query is lying to me.......

Now to ponder my next move

Keep camping it, or just say fuck it cause the drake might not spawn until at least 6am
I have yet to kill a Northrend rare.

However, I'm 16/20 for Medium Rare, only two rares in Hellfire and two in Terrokar to go!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Alex said:
Dudes, if you haven't seen this video yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AkIfgioA4

You need to watch it, it's so great. By far the best of the Vent Harrasment type videos. He records audio clips of the folks in the channel talking then replays it. These guys were totally baffled.

It's surely more listenable when you hear people in good spirits rather than shrieking, irate teenagers.
:lol :lol :lol

Oh man where the heck are the tissues. I cried like a little bitch at this it was that funny. Great to see a bunch of gamers who had some good laughs over it rather than get the shits like so many others do.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
speedpop said:
Honestly surprised it took them this long to get it up and running. Easily one of the best features of Warhammer.
come a long way from having to actually queue at the portal in the world.

Kyoufu

So I was checking out the new UI features and stuff on the main website. Are these all coming in 3.1? If so, best patch ever.

Retro said:
Paladin:
Everybody laughs at paladins until a paladin destroys / saves them. Then they still laugh, but not as loudly. You can be the most boring healer in the game, the most ambiguous tank in the game, or the most utterly despised and mocked DPS class in the game. No matter which you pick, Blizzard will inevitably find a way to make your job less fun while making it more difficult, which in turn fuels paladin self-hate, the strongest fucking force in the game. A paladin pissed off that his class is mangled yet again will outperform any other healer / tank / DPS... AT THE SAME TIME. Masochists only, please. If you want to play a Horde Paladin, prepare to be called every slang term for a homosexual in the book.

so awesome

vumpler

speedpop said:
:lol :lol :lol

Oh man where the heck are the tissues. I cried like a little bitch at this it was that funny. Great to see a bunch of gamers who had some good laughs over it rather than get the shits like so many others do.
:lol :lol that was badass

striKeVillain! said:
Stormscale. ...just because that's my realm and I'm lonely.

(but only if you decide to go Alliance)

Flambe

Kyoufu said:
lol I did 10 man naxx today with a fellow SP and we both topped the DPS meters.

I would say the rest of your dps was slacking, but I haven't really raided with a spriest so I'm not sure what they're capable of nowadays.

Tamanon

Banned
Shadow Priests are vastly improved from BC days when it comes to raiding. Plus they're more powerful in entry Naxx gear than other casters because of their large amount of damage increases through talents.

Macattk15

Flambe said:
I would say the rest of your dps was slacking, but I haven't really raided with a spriest so I'm not sure what they're capable of nowadays.

We have some decent Spriests in my guild. They pump out around 4k dps .... some of it is AoE though but I believe he did a lot of damage on Sapphiron.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oni Link 666 said:
1. No. In fact, if you want to be a Draenei or Blood Elf you should install it before you start playing. Those 2 races start at level 1 and are only available to those with BC installed.

2. You can get a mage to port you to Dalaran. Then you can set your hearth (home point) there and use the portals there for easy traveling. Beats the hell out of using the gryphons/chimeras to travel at low levels.

3. I don't have any but, I'm sure you can easily download a guide somewhere. I just use these sites.

http://www.wowhead.com/
http://thottbot.com/
http://www.wowwiki.com/
This is why I hate Sithilis and Un'Goro. There's no portals anywhere nearby. Even Theramore is too far away.

zam

vumpler said:
So we should farm the piss out of them then? I'm not a skinner but my wife is... I guess I could use her character :/
Im farming the shit out of them and buying any I see cheap on the AH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom