• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

Son of Godzilla said:
From what I understand the Triumph gear requirements are insane and are probably going to be hotfixed in a week. 75 fucking tokens in addition to a raid drop? What the hell?

Assuming the encounter limiter is in place, you can get a whopping two this week from raiding, and 4 next? Add in 14 a week if you do the heroic quest every fucking day? That's three weeks before *any* tier gear is obtained, assuming you do the heroic daily every damn day.

I thought you could get 21 per week from doing the dailies? 2 each day from the Heroic and 1 per day from the normal daily.

Tamanon

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
From what I understand the Triumph gear requirements are insane and are probably going to be hotfixed in a week. 75 fucking tokens in addition to a raid drop? What the hell?

Assuming the encounter limiter is in place, you can get a whopping two this week from raiding, and 4 next? Add in 14 a week if you do the heroic quest every fucking day? That's three weeks before *any* tier gear is obtained, assuming you do the heroic daily every damn day.

The 75 tokens + Raid token is only for the ilvl 245.

It's 50 emblems for the 232, 75 + raid token(which I believe each raid member gets one, it's just like another emblem) for the 245 or Regalia drop(should be 2-3 per boss) for the 258 version.

thatbox

Banned
Gloomfire said:
I thought you could get 21 per week from doing the dailies? 2 each day from the Heroic and 1 per day from the normal daily.
The normal daily no longer rewards Triumph badges, thankfully.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
thatbox said:
SW:D is perfect for the times you need to refresh VT or DP. MB>VT/DP>SW:D>MF>MB. The only other thing you could do there was clip MF, but that can be difficult to do properly.
Yup.

I'm not entirely sure why the "Community Team" posed a question that implied that SW: D was unusuable.

Prot Warrior:

I notice that Devastate now requires a shield. The last time I saw the Patch Notes it didn't say anything; I was wondering if they'd noticed that it would be overpowered to just pick up Devastate and spam it with a 2Her. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Son of Godzilla said:

Technically, it's 4 this week and 8 next week, since all bosses drop 2x badges. (presuming you do both 10 and 25 man)

To be honest, as much as I hate them, given that the "Trial" is so small, it probably needs an attunement. Maybe not off of Yogg Saron, but there should be at least SOME progression here.

border

The only time I think about LORE is when the servers are down on patch day. Not being able to play the game always reminds me that there is some kind of story going on.

To that end I have a couple trivia questions:

What is the lifespan of each of the major races? How old do elves and tauren get? Are undead essentially immortal?

Also - if a druid is female, shouldn't her cat form not have a mane?

Gloomfire said:
The normal daily is now conquest.

Tamanon said:
The 75 tokens + Raid token is only for the ilvl 245.

It's 75 emblems for the 232, 75 + raid token(which I believe each raid member gets one, it's just like another emblem) for the 245 or Regalia drop(should be 2-3 per boss) for the 258 version.
That would be... interesting. I was assuming the raid token drops just like raid tokens do now, 2 per boss.

But Regalia's dropping in the non-heroic would invalidate the other gear completely. And it would make the emblem requirement on the non-heroic 25 stuff look like utter madness.

Angry Grimace said:
To be honest, as much as I hate them, given that the "Trial" is so small, it probably needs an attunement. Maybe not off of Yogg Saron, but there should be at least SOME progression here.

I really like that the grand trial has the attunement it does. Not only does it feel right progression-wise, but it fits in well with the petty lore the thing has going on. That's the biggest problem I had with Ulduar, the progression is such complete ass because of how the hard modes are handled.

Angry Grimace

border said:
The only time I think about LORE is when the servers are down on patch day. Not being able to play the game always reminds me that there is some kind of story going on.

What is the lifespan of each of the major races? How old do elves and tauren get? Are undead essentially immortal?

The Forsaken's lifespan wouldn't be known given that the Plague of Undeath is probably too new to say.

Night Elves were immortal in terms of natural lifespan, but the World Tree Nordrassil was destroyed when Malfurion used it's power to kill Archimonde, which sacrificed that. What happens to Night Elves lifespans is unknown as the destruction of the World Tree was only like 5-10 years before WoW's timeline, not to mention that Nordrassil isn't actually dead.

High Elves live to a maximum of around 350 (Blood Elves ARE High Elves). Presumably this would correspond for the Night Elves sans World Tree immortality.

The reason Female Nelfs don't have a special appearance in various forms is because that would require work on Blizzard's end.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
border said:

Elves are tricky since they haven't been unimmortal long enough for them to know. Tauren have never been immortal so the average lifespan of a cow, that is to say 25 years (learned from a quick google.) Undead aren't immortal. Their spirit just lingers on in a very decomposed body. If the body is destroyed they die in the same sense we do.

And regarding female tauren. Would you really walk up to one and ask her to shave?

border

Would trolls have a lifespan similar to elves?

I assume all the other races have pretty normal human-type lifespans? 50-80 years? That's sad if taurens really only live a few decades.....though funny considering that they all have titles like "Elder", and those elders are maybe 25 years old :p

Angry Grimace

border said:
Would trolls have a lifespan similar to elves?

I assume all the other races have pretty normal human-type lifespans? 50-80 years? That's sad if taurens really only live a few decades.....though funny considering that they all have titles like "Elder", and those elders are maybe 25 years old :p
I would presume that Trolls, Humans, Tauren, etc. would have similar lifespans to real life humans.

Whether or not the Forsaken "die" of old age is probably a crap shoot as to whether the plague of undeath wears off in time or not. In theory, you would think that the Lich King's inevitable demise would magically destroy it, but that would kill the playable Forsaken, which won't happen.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
I would presume that Trolls, Humans, Tauren, etc. would have similar lifespans to real life humans.

Whether or not the Forsaken "die" of old age is probably a crap shoot as to whether the plague of undeath wears off in time or not. In theory, you would think that the Lich King's inevitable demise would magically destroy it, but that would kill the playable Forsaken, which won't happen.
Its been stated in lore that when/if the Lich King is killed, undead will still roam around.
Just lacking directing and whatnot.

border

Oh damn, I didn't think there would be a WoWWiki page for this stuff, but I guess there is:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Life_spans

It's based on the pen & paper RPG, which I guess people may or may not consider canon.

While technically immortal, some Forsaken exhibit signs of old age, losing their identities and eventually sentience.

Strangely, Naga can live up to 1000 years. Tauren have a normal lifespan (80-100), but Pandaren go all the way to 350. Murlocs top out at 60, thank god :lol

Angry Grimace

border said:
Oh damn, I didn't think there would be a WoWWiki page for this stuff, but I guess there is:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Life_spans

It's based on the pen & paper RPG, which I guess people may or may not consider canon.

While technically immortal, some Forsaken exhibit signs of old age, losing their identities and eventually sentience.

Strangely, Naga can live up to 1000 years. Tauren have a normal lifespan (80-100), but Pandaren go all the way to 350. Murlocs top out at 60, thank god :lol
Blizzard has stated that everything officially licensed by them (specifically the Warcraft RPG) IS canonical in terms of Lore.

Also consider that many of the creatures are magically sustained, i.e. Azshara. Aegwynn is still alive, too.

Kyoufu

Confirmed: 3.3 will be the final battle against Arthas at the Icecrown Citadel.

Seems a bit too soon doesn't it? The expansion has been out for less than a year. Is this how fast it usually goes with Blizzard?

Ralys said:
Can't wait to get back to the game to have my DPS lowered by 5%. Warlocks always get the short end of the stick.

yeah that shit annoys me, oh well ill level my pally and be a tank and then they'll really need me ;)

Angry Grimace

Kyoufu said:

Seems a bit too soon doesn't it? The expansion has been out for less than a year. Is this how fast it usually goes with Blizzard?
Confirmed by who?

It depends.

I can't imagine the wait could be all that long for the next patch given that this patch has a 5 boss raid. I believe it was even stated by Blizzard that they considered the Isle of Conquest the "real" big addition in this patch.

My problem with BGs is that they essentially all fail to live up to Alterac Valley.

Kyoufu

Angry Grimace said:
Confirmed by who?

It depends.

I can't imagine the wait could be all that long for the next patch given that this patch has a 5 boss raid.

Blizzard is too smart to do something that would bleed subscribers dry.

The coliseum trailer pretty much confirms it. Plus there was a blue post about it somewhere on mmo-champion.

Xabora

Kyoufu said:

Patch 3.3 as ICC, was confirmed during Blizz-con last year. :lol

Arozay

Kyoufu said:
Well I don't keep up with Blizzcon. In fact I think its a joke that they charge you to stream it lol
90% of the stream buyers are probably just bads wanting the pet. All the interesting shit winds up on the net for free a few minutes later in bullet point form.

border

I would buy the Blizzcon stream if they could guarantee that it would be in HD, and if I knew there was going to be some sort of "On Demand" component during and after the convention. If it's some bullshit where you have to tune in at a specific time to see the thing you want to watch, well then screw it.

So few details are available - they've done a pretty poor job of selling the stream to people.

TomServo

Angry Grimace said:
I can't imagine the wait could be all that long for the next patch given that this patch has a 5 boss raid. I believe it was even stated by Blizzard that they considered the Isle of Conquest the "real" big addition in this patch.

I think the quicker pace between raid tiers and the more casual-friendly approach to the game is Activision's influence showing. Sure, Blizzard is much more of an 800lb gorilla than other companies whose IP's Activision has gotten its hands on, but this is the company that has completely whored out franchise after franchise.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out at Blizzcon that the next expansion is a year (or less) away.

Tamanon

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see the next expansion a year away either, that would put it right on the schedule they've been following.:lol

Flib

To be fair, Blizzard was promising shorter stretches between patches/expansions even before the merger.

I'm happy with the turnaround on this patch. While we still have a few things left to knock out in Ulduar, I do feel a bit burnt out on it at this point, since I have no reason to run anything else these days.

And yeah, I really think the next expansion is significantly farther along than most people expect. It could even possibly come out in the first half of next year.

Won

Zaro said:
90% of the stream buyers are probably just bads wanting the pet. All the interesting shit winds up on the net for free a few minutes later in bullet point form.

But it's a Murloc Space Marine pet. How can you say no to that?!

J-Rzez

I hope this new BG is actually "the new AV". I didn't get to try it out on PTR. Seems that quite a few paladins are crying over these changes though for some reason.

Nice to see "Dodge" get "Nerfed" too. Add in the DK tanking nerfs and the JC prismatic gem nerf, my poor DK tank is going to be in bad shape when the servers come back up. A real mess I'm going to have to clean up with refunded talent points for my dual spec, then playing around with those gems. Yeeesh. lol.

This emblem talk is confusing me here. So, not only do you need the token from the raid, but "x" amount of other emblems? Or am I reading people wrong here?

I can't wait to see the mess that some raids turn into allowing people to "extend" them and drop them at will.

Angry Grimace

border said:
I would buy the Blizzcon stream if they could guarantee that it would be in HD, and if I knew there was going to be some sort of "On Demand" component during and after the convention. If it's some bullshit where you have to tune in at a specific time to see the thing you want to watch, well then screw it.

So few details are available - they've done a pretty poor job of selling the stream to people.
The "con" in Blizz-con is an unintentional pun.

They charge shit loads of money to watch an internet video. Of an advertisement. That you could find the information on within minutes of airing.

I literally don't even understand the concept. Blizzard only has like 3 properties.

Flib

The new battleground is very cool/fun, but it basically boils down to everyone rushing the Hangar, loading team takes the airship behind enemy line, breaks down the door from behind and then rushes the raid boss. Can't really vary much from that or you lose.

thatbox

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I hope this new BG is actually "the new AV". I didn't get to try it out on PTR. Seems that quite a few paladins are crying over these changes though for some reason.

Nice to see "Dodge" get "Nerfed" too. Add in the DK tanking nerfs and the JC prismatic gem nerf, my poor DK tank is going to be in bad shape when the servers come back up. A real mess I'm going to have to clean up with refunded talent points for my dual spec, then playing around with those gems. Yeeesh. lol.
I hope you aren't complaining about your refunded talent points. All three specs of paladins will need to respec tonight. Prot to pick up Vindication, Ret to pick up SotP, Holy to ditch Divine Guardian or the crit in ret, depending on which you're more depressed about.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
methinks next christmas will be the next expansion...they still have to get the icecrown encounter out

unless they're going to wait until after the next expansion to do it?

border

TomServo said:
It wouldn't surprise me to find out at Blizzcon that the next expansion is a year (or less) away.
Even before the merger they said they wanted to do 1 expansion per year. They only kinda half-assed it with BC/WotLK which were technically 1 calendar year apart, but really something like 22 months apart.

I'd be happy to get a new expansion every 14-18 months.

Angry Grimace said:
They charge shit loads of money to watch an internet video. Of an advertisement. That you could find the information on within minutes of airing.
I'd still be interested in quality streams of Q&A sessions and tournaments and costume contests......direct feed footage of Diablo 3 and the like. Yes the information is available elsewhere, but there's more to it than that.

They really ought to include the beta invitation with the package though.

Angry Grimace

Won said:
But it's a Murloc Space Marine pet. How can you say no to that?!
Yeah but it's 40 fucking dollars. I wouldn't 40 bucks for a World of Warcraft item that even if the pet was Jaina Proudmoore chained to your guy wearing a Princess Leia slave-bikini.

So I noticed something in the CC preview video.

Bear Paratroopers.
14vlfg8.jpg

Loxley

Angry Grimace said:
I literally don't even understand the concept. Blizzard only has like 3 properties.

They're also three of the most immaculately-well executed "properties" in gaming's history. One is the largest subscription-based MMO in the world, one is a Korean national sport, and the third set PC sales records only to be beaten by another Blizzard game.

There aren't exactly many developers that can say one of those things, much less all three at the same time :D This is also one of the few times where the public can get face-to-face with the developers themselves and talk about the future of the games. For people who love the franchises, that seems like too good of an oppurtunity to pass up.

firex

thatbox said:
I hope you aren't complaining about your refunded talent points. All three specs of paladins will need to respec tonight. Prot to pick up Vindication, Ret to pick up SotP, Holy to ditch Divine Guardian or the crit in ret, depending on which you're more depressed about.
my pre-speccing for next patch is vindicated. and I am so glad they let seal of corruption stack on HotR like it did before this patch with the new buff.

Xabora

Loxley said:
They're also three of the most immaculately-well executed "properties" in gaming's history. One is the largest subscription-based MMO in the world, one is a Korean national sport, and the third set PC sales records only to be beaten by another Blizzard game.

There aren't exactly many developers that can say one of those things, much less all three at the same time :D
A 4th one is right around the corner.

Angry Grimace

Loxley said:

There aren't exactly many developers that can say one of those things, much less all three at the same time :D
So? I still can't fathom how that justifies an entire two day convention.

This patch is awesome. The engineering stuff has been a long time coming, but now I have no desire to switch my main and grind jewelcrafting or enchanting.

Q: Since Pain Suppression can easily be considered the life-saving mechanic of the Discipline tree, are there any possible improvements that could be made to this spell?

Ghostcrawler: Pain Suppression is more or less targeted Shield Wall. It’s really good.

:lol

I like it when they shut down dumb questions from the CMs.

With regard to gheal; of course it's useful. As disc I only use it when I've got Borrowed Time but that's the point. A big spike can be all but erradicated with Shield > Penance > Gheal.

Flash is still the bread and butter heal of a priest but anyone not ever using gheal is crazy. As Ghostcrawler says, we have a lot of spells - use them.

Angry Grimace said:
Yeah but it's 40 fucking dollars. I wouldn't 40 bucks for a World of Warcraft item that even if the pet was Jaina Proudmoore chained to your guy wearing a Princess Leia slave-bikini.

Hot.

Yes, I am part of the problem.

Sciz

Angry Grimace said:
Builds hype, gets big news out, and makes them a bit of money besides. Might as well complain about QuakeCon too, which essentially boils down to a giant LAN party at which a single developer shows off a bit of what they're been working on and John Carmack talking about the industry for a couple hours. At least it isn't for profit.

edit: also, this.
Flib said:
And yeah, I really think the next expansion is significantly farther along than most people expect. It could even possibly come out in the first half of next year.
Calling it now, Icecrown Citadel to be released Nov/Dec, the Cataclysm expansion announced at Blizzcon and released late next spring.

firex

I like all the Blizzcon news for games besides WoW usually. unless they announce a new expansion. Like this year I'm looking forward to it more for Diablo 3 info than anything else.

border

My server (Daggerspine) is up! Time to grab that Argent Dragonhawk....maybe go hunt down some of the new engineering recipes...

Loxley

Angry Grimace said:

Well, then you have some overly strict requirements for what constitutes as a good reason to have a convention there mein freund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom