• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Entropia said:
/dominos
Configure bars
Right click bars to edit them

Have fun. My bar setup is very very very very basic
I love having two totem bars but everything else I don't know what to do with. I''m going to have to hotkey a lot of stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Raid comp isn't all that important on that fight. That's one thing I like about Wrath raiding, as long as you got your necessary classes, you can kind of pick up the best players/dps after that.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Angry Grimace said:
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Raid comp isn't all that important on that fight.

Well you need at least one MS, one tank heals and one raid heals, but that's about it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Well you need at least one MS, one tank heals and one raid heals, but that's about it.
Virtually every 25m raid will have a MS, tank heals and raid heals, especially on a Heroic attempt.

I guess I meant more that DKs and Rogues don't really provide some stacking benefit on that fight a la Resto Shamans in the Sunwell. Maybe if you had like 3 Unholy DK tanks to stack Anti Magic Zone or something, but yeah.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, DPS is interchangeable for the most part outside of places that require a certain brand, like Yogg's brain. I mean hell, we don't even have any feral druids in our raids, instead having three moonkin.:lol

A friend of mine is interviewing Kalgan in a few hours, he'll send me the recording once it's done. I'll let you guys know if anything interesting comes out of it.

Retro

jim-jam bongs said:
A friend of mine is interviewing Kalgan in a few hours, he'll send me the recording once it's done. I'll let you guys know if anything interesting comes out of it.

Tell your friend to ask why he still hates Paladins :lol

Retro said:
Tell your friend to ask why he still hates Paladins :lol

What
The
Fuck

I just skyped someone and asked him if there was anything he wanted to ask and he replied "Ask him to show on the dolly where the bad Paladin touched him." :lol

border

Tom Chilton / Kalgan was already interviewed on The Instance podcast this week. It was 15 minutes of boring damage control over the Pet Store. I hope your friend does better than they did, since it was pretty clear he'd been instructed to stay on message about the dumb pet uproar rather than talk about the game.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
:lol

Well I just looked through some of the logs for the top guilds on my realm and I'm actually about 1k - 2k dps higher than their DKs.

:lol
I'd believe you but, junior member.

So yeah.

traveler

Not Wario
Who is the current top guild on our server, btw? I remember Members Only being first out of the gate in 3.0, Lobster Farm dominating during the BC days, and Abyss always being pretty good on Horde side, but I'm not really familiar with the current state of progression.

Xabora

traveler said:
Who is the current top guild on our server, btw? I remember Members Only being first out of the gate in 3.0, Lobster Farm dominating during the BC days, and Abyss always being pretty good on Horde side, but I'm not really familiar with the current state of progression.
Legends holds the current title.
Followed by Members Only, Dying Breed, and No Mercy.

border

Xabora said:
It wouldn't be a bad deal except for the fact that if you need someone to run you through ToC then you don't have any source of Triumph emblems other than the occaisional VoA pug or Heroic Daily. If they wanted 16K G just for two set pieces that'd be a great price.....but since you'd have to spend all kinds of time and effort getting the emblems, it's useless. This is of course from the perspective of someone that doesn't raid at all, and amasses enough money that I don't care about literally paying for character progression.

border said:
It wouldn't be a bad deal except for the fact that if you need someone to run you through ToC then you don't have any source of Triumph emblems other than the occaisional VoA pug or Heroic Daily. If they wanted 16K G just for two set pieces that'd be a great price.....but since you'd have to spend all kinds of time and effort getting the emblems, it's useless. This is of course from the perspective of someone that doesn't raid at all, and amasses enough money that I don't care about literally paying for character progression.

It's ToC. Even AM Horde side had 2 guild led pugs. That, and it's ToC.

border

I don't know what that means because I have never set foot inside ToC. My point was just that it seemed like a decent enough deal (if you were actually getting Tier pieces rather than a token that needs emblems to go with it). The regular BoE crafted stuff at that iLevel sells for more than 6-8K on the AH....so 16K for a couple tier pieces and a couple non-set pieces would actually be great.

Compared to having to deal with slow pugs and wasting weeklong lockouts on fail-groups, it sounds even better actually. The appeal is in only having to show up once or twice and get some stuff you'd like, rather than wrangling a group of pug misfits week after week and hoping you win a roll.

Tamanon

Banned
ToC is probably the easiest raid instance to PUG in Wrath thus far, there's only a couple tricks to each fight to look out for and nobody really is depended on to be independent. You really should try pugging it, it's rather easy.:lol

border

Most of the TOC pugs seem to only be looking for tanks and healers. Plus just getting VoA done once a week is kind of annoying as-is.

border said:
Tom Chilton / Kalgan was already interviewed on The Instance podcast this week. It was 15 minutes of boring damage control over the Pet Store. I hope your friend does better than they did, since it was pretty clear he'd been instructed to stay on message about the dumb pet uproar rather than talk about the game.

Just finished listening to the recording, you'll be happy to know there was nothing about the Pet Store :lol There wasn't really much new in there, it was a 5th anniversary chat so he talked mostly about the evolution of the game so far, and not as much about the future.

One thing that did surprise me is that the classic Blackrock instances (including MC) will still be around in Cataclysm. I assumed they were removing them now that there is a new instance there that's from a later timeline.

It was a good talk if you've been playing for a while actually, he made a few interesting observations about players and explained a few of the major changes like revamping the honour system from his perspective. I'll post the link once the article is up.

Angry Grimace

My guild is getting pretty shitty.

I had to quit on a 10m ToC run.

Yes. 10 man.

NORMAL.

Holy mother of God.

Even if you do ridiculous DPS, it doesn't matter if you're the only one :lol

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:

Yes. 10 man.

NORMAL.

Holy mother of God.

:(

Cipherr

border said:
Most of the TOC pugs seem to only be looking for tanks and healers. Plus just getting VoA done once a week is kind of annoying as-is.

Just means you got there late. They still have to recruit dps. Those prices in that post Xab put up are absurd for TOC25 normal gear. The place is pugged an uncountable amount of times by different groups on Greymane alliance.

Angry Grimace said:

Yes. 10 man.

NORMAL.

Holy mother of God.

Ill admit I was in this spot a few weeks ago, but then again Im a fresh server and faction transfer to Greymane. I got into one single successful ToC25 run and now that I can link the achievement and do good dps I can run these any day of the week I decide to log on and hop in the LFG queue for it. Lots of guilds on our server pug 9 or so spots for their weekly runs, and tons more just run pugs for it all week and especially on the weekend. All I do now is when I get an invite, I ask the raid leader (before joining) "Are you requiring the achievement from every member before letting them in?" If they say yes, Ill ask for the vent info. If they have a vent going AND are requiring the achievement I join up. Haven't had a problem yet. If its a guild run filling spots open for a run, I dont even ask, I just go, those are always successful.

I'll probably never complete Anub on Heroic 25m mode (only about 3 or so pugs ran by well known people on my server clear it weekly from what I hear) but clearing the 25m mode, 10 man mode, Voa 10 and 25, Ony 10 and 25 and a chunk of Uld 25 if I happen to be playing ALOT weekly WITHOUT having to be guilded and on some raid schedule is perfect for me. Was just what I was looking for. Getting to see all of the content without being tied to the game.

border

jim-jam bongs said:
Just finished listening to the recording, you'll be happy to know there was nothing about the Pet Store :lol There wasn't really much new in there, it was a 5th anniversary chat so he talked mostly about the evolution of the game so far, and not as much about the future.

One thing that did surprise me is that the classic Blackrock instances (including MC) will still be around in Cataclysm. I assumed they were removing them now that there is a new instance there that's from a later timeline.

It was a good talk if you've been playing for a while actually, he made a few interesting observations about players and explained a few of the major changes like revamping the honour system from his perspective. I'll post the link once the article is up.

Sounds cool -- will the audio go up as a podcast, or is this an interview for print/online?

I've been playing since about 6 months after launch, so I'd definitely like to hear about when and how things changed behind the scenes. Obviously the first major shift towards the current philosophy was the change to PVP/Honor, given that the ranking system rewarded massive time investment and punished anyone who failed to make a massive time investment. Now there are just rewards, no punishments.

Angry Grimace

Puncture said:
Just means you got there late. They still have to recruit dps. Those prices in that post Xab put up are absurd for TOC25 normal gear. The place is pugged an uncountable amount of times by different groups on Greymane alliance.

Ill admit I was in this spot a few weeks ago, but then again Im a fresh server and faction transfer to Greymane. I got into one single successful ToC25 run and now that I can link the achievement and do good dps I can run these any day of the week I decide to log on and hop in the LFG queue for it. Lots of guilds on our server pug 9 or so spots for their weekly runs, and tons more just run pugs for it all week and especially on the weekend. All I do now is when I get an invite, I ask the raid leader (before joining) "Are you requiring the achievement from every member before letting the in?" If they say yes, I join up. Havent had a problem yet. If its a guild run filling spots open for a run, I dont even ask, I just go, those are always successful.

I'll probably never complete Anub on Heroic 25m (only about 3 or so pugs ran by well known people on my server clear it weekly from what I hear) but clearing the 25m mode weekly WITHOUT having to be guilded and on some raid schedule is perfect for me. Was just what I was looking for. Getting to see all of the content without being tied to the game.
You might be a sad pandaren when Icecrown comes out. Ulduar, the last real raid that Blizzard put out there, was not really puggable to the end on 25m mode. Problem is with me that basically nobody is playing anymore. The average skill level is in the shitter, but gear scores are up because ToC is a shithole loot pinata.

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Virtually every 25m raid will have a MS, tank heals and raid heals, especially on a Heroic attempt.

I guess I meant more that DKs and Rogues don't really provide some stacking benefit on that fight a la Resto Shamans in the Sunwell. Maybe if you had like 3 Unholy DK tanks to stack Anti Magic Zone or something, but yeah.
On Heroic Anub 25 you need multiple DKs to pull frost down in precise positions and multiple paladins to BoP pursued targets. Depending on your strat you may also need uncrushable block-capable tanks. Even though it may be the only such ToC encounter, you can't walk into it with a random raidcomp and expect to do well.

border

Puncture said:

Like I said, the BoE crafted gear from ToC easily goes for as much on my server....the cloth and plate items are running like 8-10K, and their Filthy Poor package gives you two high level drops for 16K (plus Emblems and 2 Trophies items).

There is a convenience fee that I'd think would be worth it for non-raiders. Yes I could pug ToC, but then I'd be rolling against 24 other people for Trophies, and at least 4-7 other people for the 2 non-set pieces you are guaranteed with your payment. Exactly how long would it take me to get the same stuff I can acquire for a simple fee? And what happens with a fail-pug? They beat the first couple easy bosses, then break up after a few wipes or when an important tank/healer DCs....then you're locked out for a week. I don't find the price unreasonable considering you get to skip all the headaches of a 25-man pug.

Maybe ToC25 is just faceroll easy, but even then you have to win the rolls for gear. With the time you save just paying for a run, you can be out there in your regular routine leveling alts, running dailies, making money on the AH. Ultimately it evens out, I feel. Obviously the players on the bleeding edge aren't going to see the upside, but that's because they can probably burn through the place in a couple hours every week and don't have to sit around Dalaran while a PUG leader spams trade for tanks/healers of questionable quality.

Tamanon

Banned
But if you're not going to raid regularly, what do you care that you don't have 12 more spellpower and 10 more crit on your gear?

border

But if you're not going to raid regularly, what do you care that you don't have 12 more spellpower and 10 more crit on your gear?

I've said it before in this thread, but there is a point in this game where money becomes utterly useless and cannot be used for character progression. If you can weasel your way around that and still buy progression with all that useless currency in your pocket, I don't see why you shouldn't. Ultimately it's a question of how much time your gold is worth, and I suppose my threshold is higher than others.

As for why you should care about gear, well the upgrades are nice for both questing and heroics. And of course money is transferable in a way that gear and badges are not. If I have an alt that just hit 80, you can believe I'm throwing down a good deal of money to get him up to the current level of content. I've never bought a run through anything, but have no problem stocking up on AH Epics. I like all my characters to at least be at the point where they won't be shamed in a VoA or Naxx pug.

Angry Grimace said:
You might be a sad pandaren when Icecrown comes out. Ulduar, the last real raid that Blizzard put out there, was not really puggable to the end on 25m mode. Problem is with me that basically nobody is playing anymore. The average skill level is in the shitter, but gear scores are up because ToC is a shithole loot pinata.

Eh-yup. I have had so many old friends on 4 servers, 3 Horde, 1 Alliance, and my friends list in those are/were so barren. Any people new to us are actually from like, Bronzebeard in 2005-2008, or Madoran 2004-2006, and had extensive RPG time before that. AM went from 4k during peak in January to 2.5k during peak in October when we jetted to Skullcrusher.

Instead, they're being replaced with people who have no real clue as to how they are to function, even lower than us in 2004, due to, quite frankly, a basic loss of a foundation; they haven't a background in RPGs or PC gaming, almost. You can tell by their play.

I've been under the impression that Blizz has been fishing for people outside the MMO crowd, even outside RPGers, and PC gamers for this expansion for quite a while now...

Angry Grimace

thatbox said:
On Heroic Anub 25 you need multiple DKs to pull frost down in precise positions and multiple paladins to BoP pursued targets. Depending on your strat you may also need uncrushable block-capable tanks. Even though it may be the only such ToC encounter, you can't walk into it with a random raidcomp and expect to do well.
You're way off base from the point that was being made there.

There's a big difference between "random raidcomp" and what we were referring to there.

Xabora

̸̹̦̦̱̖̻̠͔̝̈́̾̉͗̆̄̃͗̄͠v̵̐̉̉ͤ̈ͧ̓̂̿͡Ò̧̡͈̼̜͕̯̝͉̣͕̳̤̮͊̊̎̽̎̄̿̐̄ͮ́͝M̸̡̙̖̥̠̓̌͒ͩ̐ͧ́Ģ͛ͦ̊ͯ͛̄̌҉̵̣̹̳ ̶͙̹͔̀̈͂̉ ̸̹̦̦̱̖̻̠͔̝̈́̾̉͗̆̄̃͗̄͠v̵̐̉̉ͤ̈ͧ̓̂̿͡

3.3 needs to come out faster. :(

CassSept

thatbox said:
Yeah, this. I forgot Anub normal has more permafrosts and less adds :p
Basically, on heroic Anub you have four adds so you need as many good aoers as you can get (usually the best being combat rogues and unholy DKs, mages are good choice too)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Xabora said:
̸̹̦̦̱̖̻̠͔̝̈́̾̉͗̆̄̃͗̄͠v̵̐̉̉ͤ̈ͧ̓̂̿͡Ò̧̡͈̼̜͕̯̝͉̣͕̳̤̮͊̊̎̽̎̄̿̐̄ͮ́͝M̸̡̙̖̥̠̓̌͒ͩ̐ͧ́Ģ͛ͦ̊ͯ͛̄̌҉̵̣̹̳ ̶͙̹͔̀̈͂̉ ̸̹̦̦̱̖̻̠͔̝̈́̾̉͗̆̄̃͗̄͠v̵̐̉̉ͤ̈ͧ̓̂̿͡

3.3 needs to come out faster. :(
uhm... is anyone else getting totally weird text in this post from Xabora?

95tuaf.png

wtf is that?

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
You're way off base from the point that was being made there.

There's a big difference between "random raidcomp" and what we were referring to there.
Nah, you said "raid comp isn't all that important on that fight" "especially on heroic." I'm in one of thousands of guilds currently bashing our faces up against this fight and we've had to call the raid before because our block tank couldn't make it, we've had to swap out one of our mages (very likely the highest-DPS mage on the server) for his DK alt to place frost, we've had to bring in my paladin over my priest to get an extra BoP and everyone in the raid is respecced for AoE.

If you'd left off the heroic bit you'd have been right, since you could probably do every fight in normal with 25 of the same class, but acting like all the guilds cockblocked by Anub don't have to take some relatively strong (for WotLK) measures with raidcomp to ensure a chance at success rubbed me the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom