• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xabora

Tamanon said:
It's really tough to get one-handed weapons that are as good as the Edge of Ruin or Marrowstrike to start. That's what keeping me as Blood right now. Hell, it's easier to get good one-handed tanking weapons than it is dps ones. Looks like Icecrown's 5-mans will bend that curve a lot.

Plus.....I like seeing "Polymorph on Bloodworm" or "Bloodworm is marked for death":lol
ToC 5man Heroic, there is a 1 handed mace that is perfect for starting with.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Xabora said:

Since i'm an ugly dwarf, there's nothing wrong with using maces as a DK? I get the extra 5 expert. Maybe a titansteel bonecrusher + the heroic 5m toc which is the Aledar's Battlestar ?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I just never thought dks with maces, that's all. Always thought an axe or sword was best for them, for whatever reason.

Looks like i need to run some heroic toc

Edit: Looks like the tankard is still on the AH. Maybe i should buy 2 of them, 3200 gold kinda wasted but what i never spend it so ..meh!

Hazmat

evlcookie said:
I just never thought dks with maces, that's all. Always thought an axe or sword was best for them, for whatever reason.

Looks like i need to run some heroic toc

Edit: Looks like the tankard is still on the AH. Maybe i should buy 2 of them, 3200 gold kinda wasted but what i never spend it so ..meh!

Two of the maces from HToC should do you well (they aren't unique).

The tankards would work too, but I find it hard to spend gold on upgrades when 3.3 is around the corner...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hazmat said:
Two of the maces from HToC should do you well (they aren't unique).

The tankards would work too, but I find it hard to spend gold on upgrades when 3.3 is around the corner...

Yea, i know it is. But i don't spend gold and my DK is just for messing around on. I'm not hardcore raiding anymore these days although i would be nice to come back for IC, see what happens.

So i purchased 2 x tankards and my DPS is now floating around 2k with a mix of tanking / dps gear :lol

Any tips Xab? I'm doing IT/PS then BS/OB and dumping with frost, which you can usually get 3 off, 4 if your full runic. Do i bother with howling blast at all? or is it something you only use when you get the buff for it?

Xabora

evlcookie said:
Yea, i know it is. But i don't spend gold and my DK is just for messing around on. I'm not hardcore raiding anymore these days although i would be nice to come back for IC, see what happens.

So i purchased 2 x tankards and my DPS is now floating around 2k with a mix of tanking / dps gear :lol

Any tips Xab? I'm doing IT/PS then BS/OB and dumping with frost, which you can usually get 3 off, 4 if your full runic. Do i bother with howling blast at all? or is it something you only use when you get the buff for it?
IT PS OB BS BS (FS Dump)
OB OB OB (FS Dump)
Use Howling Blast when Rime and Killing Machine are both up.
Weave FS as needed.

Using this method I can work around 8.3k - 8.6k dps on hardmode crap.

:D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Xabora said:
I've seen one Aledar's Battlestar drop in ~30 heroic runs of the joint.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Don't choose NOT to level a mage just because others don't like it. I "tried" mages a few times over the years and was disgusted by the squishyness and all the downtime drinking water for mana. It was painful.

I could never get a mage past level 12-15 before I gave up.

Eventually I caved and forced myself to push it out with a BG pvp undead mage (my main is Alliance and I didn't want to get distracted by people I knew). It was super fun and really helped me to understand the mechanics of being a mage and the wonders of ranged combat.

Eventually I made another mage on Alliance side and I have never looked back and I can't even log on my old characters anymore without being bored in 5 mins.

The good...

Fire = Awesome to watch. Dotting up 3-4 targets with living bomb, putting down a flamestrike and watching all the explosive goodness is just plain satisfying.

Arcane = Chart topping DPS that makes a lot of people just say wow. The hit requirement is a lot lower in certain arcane specs making it easy for you to just pile on the damage and haste and increase your DPS even more.

Frost = So much control and survivability that once you master it, it is almost impossible to die in a PVE encounter. If you love to solo stuff, frost will make you giddy. The pet is fun too ;)

The Bad...

Fire = A ton of damage comes with higher hit requirements to stay competative, so you need good gear before you really start seeing results. There is also a lot of "Why are you not arcane" crap thrown your way :lol .

Arcane = B-O-R-I-N-G spells....it's painful to watch but the DPS outways this for most. Not for me. Also while your DPS will be high, your overall damage can fall behind until you have the gear. There have been many occasions where I will be much higher in damage on my fire mage but well below an equally geared arcane mage in DPS meters.

Frost = Anti-Raid spec. Until the upcoming patch, you are a joke in serious raiding. This limmits you to heroics, pvp, etc. Some raids won't even take you as frost. Although in heroics you can do some serious AOE damage and fit in fine.

---------------

Non-Spec related pluses....

- Teleporting : You will wonder how you ever got around without it. Painful to not have when playing other classes.

- Food : Making your own food and water sucks at first cause it just is not good enough, but eventually it is very nice to be self sustaining.

- Range : If you have not played a ranged class before, it is very satisfying to know that you are squishy but destroy things before they get to touch you.

Non-spec related negatives...

- Begging You will be constantly begged for food, and teleports to the point that even the nicest of people may get snippy ...hehe

- Mana : Reliance on mana is heavy depending on spec. Running out of mana sucks and until you learn the class you will run out, alot.

---------------------------------------

Overall it really doesn't matter what spec you play as long as you have fun and IMO Mages are a ton of fun once you get used to the way the class works.

I love my mage....obviously. For the record my previous mains were Rogue, Druid, and a Pally.

Blackface

Banned
Mr Pockets said:
Don't choose NOT to level a mage just because others don't like it. I "tried" mages a few times over the years and was disgusted by the squishyness and all the downtime drinking water for mana. It was painful.

I could never get a mage past level 12-15 before I gave up.

Eventually I caved and forced myself to push it out with a BG pvp undead mage (my main is Alliance and I didn't want to get distracted by people I knew). It was super fun and really helped me to understand the mechanics of being a mage and the wonders of ranged combat.

Eventually I made another mage on Alliance side and I have never looked back and I can't even log on my old characters anymore without being bored in 5 mins.

The good...

Fire = Awesome to watch. Dotting up 3-4 targets with living bomb, putting down a flamestrike and watching all the explosive goodness is just plain satisfying.

Arcane = Chart topping DPS that makes a lot of people just say wow. The hit requirement is a lot lower in certain arcane specs making it easy for you to just pile on the damage and haste and increase your DPS even more.

Frost = So much control and survivability that once you master it, it is almost impossible to die in a PVE encounter. If you love to solo stuff, frost will make you giddy. The pet is fun too ;)

The Bad...

Fire = A ton of damage comes with higher hit requirements to stay competative, so you need good gear before you really start seeing results. There is also a lot of "Why are you not arcane" crap thrown your way :lol .

Arcane = B-O-R-I-N-G spells....it's painful to watch but the DPS outways this for most. Not for me. Also while your DPS will be high, your overall damage can fall behind until you have the gear. There have been many occasions where I will be much higher in damage on my fire mage but well below an equally geared arcane mage in DPS meters.
y.

Couple things I want to throw up about Mages.

1. As Arcane you can top the DPS charts fairly easily until Icecrown. That being said the DPS you are doing is not the DPS that is measured on any of the top 20 lists(which is EDPS). An Arcane Mages EDPS is on par with various other classes in non-gimmick fights. You can top the meters on EDPS as well, but it requires a lot more concentration, as you will need to be damaging something almost 100 percent of the time. Since Arcane lacks dots, it's EDPS suffers tremendously from even taking two seconds to move.

If you ever find yourself topping the DPS meters but not doing more damage then the other players in your raid, you are playing wrong.

The only DPS that really matters is EDPS. A good addon to track that is Skada. It's like recount, but much lighter weight. If you regularly out damage and out DPS others in your raid then monitoring your EDPS is less of a priority.

2. Anyone who asks someone "Why aren't you Arcane", should be shot on sight. Fire/TTW is extremely close to Arcane in DPS, EDPS and Damage. In fights with multiple adds Fire/TTW is actually better.

Arcane right now is the flavor of the month. This is mainly due to all of the gimmick fights in TOC/TOGC where you receive bonus damage, or are taking periodic damage. Arcane scales better with bonus haste or damage then any other spec or class in World of Warcraft. Arcane mages can also spec into Incanters Absorption which gives you bonus spell damage based on the amount of damage you absorb. These two factors are a big reason why many Mages play Arcane right now, and Arcane mages are pulling insane numbers like 18k DPS on the Twins, or 12k DPS on the Beasts.

3. Also, Arcane is being used much more in Arenas. One of the top 3v3 teams in the world has an Arcane mage in it.

The flavor of the month may change next patch. Some seem to be wanting to go back to Fire/TTW but it all depends on the type of fights offered. Right now on PTR Shadow Priests are by far and away, with nothing even coming remotely close, the highest damage and DPS. Blizzard may nerf some of the changes they gave them, but as it stands, it seems they will be the ones dominating Icecrown.

Anyway, good post. I have been playing a Mage for four and a half years and I love it. Will never change.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Blackface said:
Couple things I want to throw up about Mages.

1. As Arcane you can top the DPS charts fairly easily until Icecrown. That being said the DPS you are doing is not the DPS that is measured on any of the top 20 lists(which is EDPS). An Arcane Mages EDPS is on par with various other classes in non-gimmick fights. You can top the meters on EDPS as well, but it requires a lot more concentration, as you will need to be damaging something almost 100 percent of the time. Since Arcane lacks dots, it's EDPS suffers tremendously from even taking two seconds to move.

If you ever find yourself topping the DPS meters but not doing more damage then the other players in your raid, you are playing wrong.

The only DPS that really matters is EDPS. A good addon to track that is Skada. It's like recount, but much lighter weight. If you regularly out damage and out DPS others in your raid then monitoring your EDPS is less of a priority.

2. Anyone who asks someone "Why aren't you Arcane", should be shot on sight. Fire/TTW is extremely close to Arcane in DPS, EDPS and Damage. In fights with multiple adds Fire/TTW is actually better.

Arcane right now is the flavor of the month. This is mainly due to all of the gimmick fights in TOC/TOGC where you receive bonus damage, or are taking periodic damage. Arcane scales better with bonus haste or damage then any other spec or class in World of Warcraft. Arcane mages can also spec into Incanters Absorption which gives you bonus spell damage based on the amount of damage you absorb. These two factors are a big reason why many Mages play Arcane right now, and Arcane mages are pulling insane numbers like 18k DPS on the Twins, or 12k DPS on the Beasts.

3. Also, Arcane is being used much more in Arenas. One of the top 3v3 teams in the world has an Arcane mage in it.

The flavor of the month may change next patch. Some seem to be wanting to go back to Fire/TTW but it all depends on the type of fights offered. Right now on PTR Shadow Priests are by far and away, with nothing even coming remotely close, the highest damage and DPS. Blizzard may nerf some of the changes they gave them, but as it stands, it seems they will be the ones dominating Icecrown.

Anyway, good post. I have been playing a Mage for four and a half years and I love it. Will never change.

Thanks for the better Arcane explanation!! Honestly (and obviously) I am a fire mage so am a little biased..hehe. I like to watch stuff explode, sue me!

My server (Shadowsong) is FULL of elitest Arcane mages that never shut up about DPS :lol so you have to forgive me if I ramble sometimes about it.

Cipherr

I always loved mages. I AoE leveled mine always as frost.

Started in Arathi Highlands around level 30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQS2mmybJ0

Theres a place in this zone with dense mobs for both horde and alliance.

Higher levels you just move zone to zone where there are tons of mobs densely packed that you can pull all at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8E6-mZrU4I&feature=related

Once you hit 71 its downhill at a really fast pace once you hit this spot in Dragonblight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQQWfbSIWvw&feature=fvw

After getting like 75 or so here I think I did some questing on my mage and at like 77 or 78 I went to Icecrown and Aoe grinded on those mobs that have that 60s respawn (the area where you do the quest dragging the bombs to the aboms and blowing them up) but i hear it got nerfed. Although they may have nerfed the items they dropped and not the exp perhaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9DOKIGotw

Alot of these videos use terrible for (stay away from using any AoE strat that involves using Iceblock, its on a long cooldown and will lower your exp per hour down to levels below just grinding quests, which makes it pointless) but you should be able to figure it out and go. Ive always found leveling my mage the fastest of all of the classes. Ill never forget grinding all those cauldron spots in WPL with those dozens of skeletons etc. lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Xabora said:
IT PS OB BS BS (FS Dump)
OB OB OB (FS Dump)
Weave FS as needed.

That's close to what i was doing. All i need now is some actual gear so i can get some decent dps numbers going. Although i wasn't paying any attention to rime and killing machine procs, need to get the UI i have in my head created so i can pay more attention to such things.

Thanks!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mage was the first class I ever touched in WoW. I think I got him up to level 35 till I quit and deleted the character due to boredom.

Once Cataclysm hits I'll be doing a Goblin Mage on the side for PVP fun.

Macattk15

Xabora said:
IT PS OB BS BS (FS Dump)
OB OB OB (FS Dump)
Weave FS as needed.

:D

You forgot to mention Army of the Dead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Macattk15 said:
Well, I mean, that's a 20 minute cooldown. It's not part of the rotation because you only use it once, possibly only once every other fight.

Xabora

Macattk15 said:
pfft, other attempts without it I was doing about the same dps. :lol

Quick Errata:
IT PS OB BS BS (FS Dump x2)
OB OB OB (FS Dump x3)
Subtract one FS from your current rotation step dump when you use a HB/KM Proc Combo.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
Well, I mean, that's a 20 minute cooldown. It's not part of the rotation because you only use it once, possibly only once every other fight.

I'm well aware the cooldown it's on. It affects DPS numbers.

I know DK's can do a ton of damage, there are ones in my guild above 10k on some fights (no not just Twin Valks) ... the guy below is usually top damage

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stonemaul&n=dizzy

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:

I know DK's can do a ton of damage, there are ones in my guild above 10k on some fights (no not just Twin Valks) ... the guy below is usually top damage

I was more mentioning the fact that Xabora wasn't including every single thing that affects DPS; i.e. so does Unbreakable Armor and he didn't mention that. In fact, Unbreakable Armor is much more of a part of the rotation than Army is. UA is not a mandatory Frost talent though, although most Frost DKs I know seem to want it. Generally you want to macro it with Blood Tap (at the end of your rotation when your Blood Runes are on CD) to provide much less interruption to your rotation. It takes some practice to get the timing down of UA/Bone Shield to not have it interrupt your rotation.

If you're going to use Army, make sure it's before a pull though. The DPS gain is not nearly as relevant if you have to stop attacking to channel a spell for 6 seconds.

Angry Grimace

I wonder if Shadow Priest will stay like this. My testing on the PTR shows the numbers coming from Shadow Priests being relatively insane, at the moment. And this is AFTER they removed the haste component from SW:p.

Angry Grimace said:
I wonder if Shadow Priest will stay like this. My testing on the PTR shows the numbers coming from Shadow Priests being relatively insane, at the moment. And this is AFTER they removed the haste component from SW:p.

After all the time they spent being horrible shadow priests deserve a little time in the limelight

Angry Grimace

Blizzard said:
The main focus for the Quel'Delar was for it to fit for dps specs. Yes, this excludes tanks but if we added it for tanks then it would probably lead to tailoring for other specs like boomkin (sorry, just an example, not meaning to pick on you) and leads to bloating the rewards more and more than they already are.

Based on my experiences too, a weapon for a warrior or paladin tank isn't quite as much of a lifeblood as it is for dps classes. Try swapping weapons around randomly some time and you will find that almost nobody will notice as long as you stay defense capped and put out good threat.

Of note: Internally we have made a change that removes the mp5 from the main hand mace and changed that to haste to match the sword to make it more dps-worthy.
The best part is, they are saying, "We didn't make a Quel'Delar reward for everyone," but by removing the mp5 and turning it into haste, they actually did. It's really just tanks that don't have a Viable Quel'Delar reward :lol

johnsmith

remember me
The SWP change sucks but probably for the best. The simcraft #s were ridiculous. Shadow priests the top dpsers after hunters, above every other pure dpser. It's not something that blizz would have allowed for long.

The current #s put us behind all the pures, but not ridiculously behind like we are now.

chartyj.png

Compare that to how we currently are. Massive improvements.
chartfq.png

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Angry Grimace said:
The best part is, they are saying, "We didn't make a Quel'Delar reward for everyone," but by removing the mp5 and turning it into haste, they actually did. It's really just tanks that don't have a Viable Quel'Delar reward :lol

Technically you can tank with the 1Hers as a warr/paladin. I've seen some do it.

johnsmith said:
The SWP change sucks but probably for the best. The simcraft #s were ridiculous. Shadow priests the top dpsers after hunters, above every other pure dpser. It's not something that blizz would have allowed for long.

The current #s put us behind all the pures, but not ridiculously behind like we are now.

chartyj.png

chartfq.png
What are those images? Is it supposed to mean something? Because it just looks like some arbitrary DPS meters to me. Where'd you get them and what does the text at the end mean. After the talent spec.

Xabora

Macattk15 said:

Thats the unholy DC Spam build. :p
I tend not to count that since its nothing but insane
but broken
high burst. :p
Plus its being nurfed to oblivion.

Don't forget, Twin Valks is a scaling fight too. :p

border

Can someone explain Quel'Delar a little further for me? Just looking at the WoWWiki page, I can't really believe it -- are they giving everyone an iLevel 251 weapon just for doing some quest chain that only routes you through the 5-man dungeons?

My fucking god. I just did a H Nexus with a Druid tank. This guy, he IS chain pulling. We barely ever went out of combat, we were just transitioning seamlessly from mob to mob to mob. Hell, we even took a couple of the bosses (Omorok, Keristrasza and the Orc dude at the start) with trash packs. We did the whole instance in 16 and a half minutes. Fuck me, the whole thing left me speechless. He even mentioned at the end that he can't stand doing instances on his alts because the tanks are so slow.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't think that's anything new for those who have gear. I remember doing a H nexus in a similar way back when our pally tank was in full uld gear. There's no real need to stop when you have good gear. I was healing it on my priest and had no mana issues either.

It really depends on what class you are. If you're a healer then there might be times after a boss you need to drink but even then tanks and dps can go ahead and pull trash, chances of them dying on a simple trash pull is kinda low.

It's always awesome when it goes fast. That's why i haven't done any 5 mans in um years? I just can't stand it, it's always so slow. And this is coming from a guy who played a healer for 2+ years.

Blackface

Banned
johnsmith said:

chartyj.png

chartfq.png

How exactly do you use simcraft? I never bothered figuring it out. I always just read EJ for the general breakdown of everything.

Cipherr

chartfq.png

Mmmmm whats wrong here, not buying this. This must be cut off or something. Destro isnt higher than Arcane mages on live right now, not even in theoretical 100% optimal scenarios.

Wait whoa, Hunters are above us too, wow that chart is weird. Its missing alot of stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
So how are hunters in raids? I'm getting a little disillusioned with my Moonkin being near the bottom of the charts consistently, feel like I'm not pulling my weight.

Feel better about healing as a tree, but we're actually rather full on healers, it's weird.

The other option I guess is just buckling down and gearing up my Death Knight. At least it'll be a bit easier to get groups I guess once the random LFG system hits.:lol

Insured

Entropia said:
God damn Anub'arak changing who he's pursuing :<
Happened to us too, twice even, and he was chasing the same priest on both times. Priest claiming he didn't fade, kinda clueless why anub does that...

Xabora

Orbitcube said:
My fucking god. I just did a H Nexus with a Druid tank. This guy, he IS chain pulling. We barely ever went out of combat, we were just transitioning seamlessly from mob to mob to mob. Hell, we even took a couple of the bosses (Omorok, Keristrasza and the Orc dude at the start) with trash packs. We did the whole instance in 16 and a half minutes. Fuck me, the whole thing left me speechless. He even mentioned at the end that he can't stand doing instances on his alts because the tanks are so slow.
This is what my group tends to do, but if we get a pug tank. We will pull for him if he is pulling too slow. :D

Angry Grimace

Insured said:
Happened to us too, twice even, and he was chasing the same priest on both times. Priest claiming he didn't fade, kinda clueless why anub does that...
Priest can't fade out of it anyways. It's not an aggro-dropping effect like Vanish.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah I love chain pulls personally. I remember being in a CoS group last night where the tank had never gotten the drake and was hoping to. But he was pulling sooooo slow, we finally got the Corrupter down with about 20 seconds left. I had to tell him that if he wanted the drake he'd have to stop pausing to fight non-elite skellies that die to one Blood Boil.:lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Man, DK's aren't on that dps list. Maybe i should have stuck to my rogue!!

But then i don't get the pretty effects. Oh the choices ;)

Angry Grimace said:
Priest can't fade out of it anyways. It's not an aggro-dropping effect like Vanish.

Anything that monkeys with aggro can, although we have had times where classes without threat wipes of any kind suddenly lose (or gain off of someone else) aggro. It's almost Onyxia40 like...there must be more mechanics behind it than what's found.

Atrophis

Wow i cant believe how easy ToC5 is. Talk about welfare epics :lol

Even herioc ToC5 is a push over (though have only tried as DPS)

I assume i'll be ready to heal all Heriocs when i get myself fully kitted out with ilevel 200/219 gear?

lordmrw

That chart shows just how badly they fucked up Subtlety spec. God damn it, that was my favorite spec too. Now I'm stuck with combat, which i don't mind, but never bother with my assassin spec because no matter how many times i try it i can't stand it.

sykoex said:
Which Heirloom 1H weapon is best for pally tanking?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Heirloom

I'm leaning toward Venerable Mass of McGowan because even thought it has agility which i think is useless for paladins, it seems to have the most stamina out of other 1H heirlooms
Agility is pretty useless for pally tanks, but it does give +dodge. So yeah, I would probably go with that mace. I personally would just level up as Ret until you got near/at 80 then switch over and start tanking.

Angry Grimace

lordmrw said:
That chart shows just how badly they fucked up Subtlety spec. God damn it, that was my favorite spec too. Now I'm stuck with combat, which i don't mind, but never bother with my assassin spec because no matter how many times i try it i can't stand it.
I'm not a fan of DPS through watching a series of timers.

It's fun enough in Shadowform, but as a rogue it just aggravated me.

John

So I'll probably start playing this in a month or so thanks to Black Friday deals. My only experience with the game/genre are when I got to 63 as a panzerkin Tauren Druid on a private server (a.k.a. not really the game at all) a couple years ago. Looking forward to playing the real game and revisiting the awesome environments.

I'm in the US East, looking for a moderately competitive PvP server with good faction balance. Is there one GAF uses primarily? I basically want to be able to do both PvP and PvE at a whim, where there'll always be people up for both.

Also what GUI mods should I go with.

Angry Grimace

Achievement: Level 50 Paladin! Got my levels pretty fast for non-RAF leveling; mostly I just took my druid that's on a separate account and murdered quest mobs at high speed. The Starfall talent is completely INSANE for this purpose, not to mention for running yourself through dungeons, especially if you're in a competitive mob area, since it aggros every mob within 36 yards. In every direction. And kills them. I cast Starfall + Hurricane once during the Troll event in Zul'Farrak. Fun times. :lol

I'm happy to finally have Crusader Strike, but it sure is a boring ability. It's just auto-attack with a button.

I think it would be a lot cooler if it functioned like the Holy version of Scourge Strike (in 3.3); with a reduced physical component + holy "after" effect. The new 2 part SS is a pretty new concept though, and I think Blizzard is waiting to see what numbers look like on live before they commit to more abilities working like that.

Retro

Orbitcube said:

Yeah, I pop Divine Plea on the first trash mob, and if I have to cast it again before we clear, I consider the run too slow. Nexus is pretty easy to run through too, nice spacing of mobs and no bosses with downtime. My brothers and I usually only need to pug one or two slots at the most depending who's on, and we've been called "Suicidal" and "crazy" several times before. :lol

Angry Grimace

I kind of hope by Cataclysm, they sort out Paladin to make it a little more fun to level; although, to be honest, based on endgame numbers, there's no fucking shortage of people getting Paladin to 80. It's ridiculous.

Kind of continuing what I was saying on the last page (got a little buried at the end of the page so I'm kind of reiterating a bit), here's some things I noticed about leveling a Paladin that could use overhauls/tweaks in Cata:

1: Crusader Strike should be baseline. It's so boring as a talent, but you're mostly standing around auto-attacking while waiting for Judgment to come off CD without it.
A baseline version would be fine in a form weaker than how it is now, i.e. with a 6-8 sec. cooldown rather than 4.

2: Retribution should be able to spec into "Imp. Crusader Strike" which would add a Scourge Strike 3.3-like secondary Holy component to the strike. I'm not really sure on what you'd base such a bonus damage component off though. Perhaps just a static amount which would automatically get increased by Vengeance stacks?

3: Basically, you have no attacks at low levels, but you also have no mana. This is one of those things that gets "fixed" once you pick up Judgments of the Wise, and/or other talents from the other trees, but it's pretty shitty for the first 45 levels when you don't have access to that ability.

4: My guess is that CAN'T do it without redesigning the game since you can't have more than one stance bar, but it seems like the design of seals should be something akin to stances, rather than buffs that actually fall off when you die in a BG or something.

I guess in the end I just hate the way that many classes feel so horribly incomplete and/or gimped while leveling, and suddenly become Godly right around the same time: Level 45-50 when you put enough talent points into a certain tree to get some ability that should really be baseline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom