• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I think Blizz has done a great job of making the current raid instances and even the 5-mans challenging, even on normal mode.

Never mind some of those achievements.:lol

EekTheKat

Took a while but I finally got my Red Proto last night.

Since they took out The Party's Over - Less-Rabi became the last achievement I started seriously working at it (and it was killing me a little each time I failed it). The odd thing was when I did get it the group sort of accidentally pulled him and just did it without much pre-planning at all.

The group I went with was 5 DPSers, with 3 interrupts + a shaman for heroism. We basically had to burst dps him down after the second interrupt else the cast time would be too short to interrupt.

Yaweee

People that bitch about a lack of difficulty in WoW view the issue too simplistically. Doing instances or raids in appropriate gear can still be hard; HoR in gear 200/219 epics, or ICC in 219/232 gear might be possible, but it ain't easy, especially with the enrage timers on some fights.

I'm having a hard time imagining what would please the people that bitch about difficulty. More attunement quests? Resistance farming? Encounters and instances that absolutely require certain classes and specs to beat? Heroics in BC fucking sucked for Elemental Shaman because we didn't have any viable CC. Who the hell is going to bring one instead of a mage if every fight requires crowd control?

Or how about we go back and make Protection Warriors the only viable tank, like it was for the first few raids of vanilla? Or make massive racial differences that make some races of priests useless and others mandatory? Fuck meeting stones or Warlocks that can summon people directly in to the instance, and fuck graveyards that are near the instance portals - the penalty for wiping, or having somebody leave, are too short and need to be quadrupled like the good old days.

Sorry if I sound angry, but the bitching here, on MMO, and on the official forums is getting to me. It's astonishing how people are bitching about changes to old instance bosses so the fights make sense for high levels of DPS, or bug fixes to various bosses as if it is some giant scheme by Blizzard to remove any shred of thought or strategy from the game.

yacobod said:
lol, crystals are cheap as fuck now anyways, whats the point

only reasonable explanation to go to ulduar is for the weekly raid quest or if you would be selling drakes for 10k or w/e they go for on your server

My guild is on Rotface in ICC yet our raid leader keeps trying to get us to do hard modes in Ulduar, and people are suprised that a lot of people don't want to go.

Obviously with our gear levels any drops from 10m Ulduar will be sharded, who wants to waste an entire evening killing Yogg or whatever for an achievement ?

I know there's a lot of guilds that push for every single raid achievement that exists.

thatbox

Banned
Yaweee said:
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with that as well. Hopefully they come up with a good solution to it.
The easiest solution would be putting the stats that Holy paladins want on plate, which they've been absolutely horrible at this expansion. Hey, it could happen!

KernelPanic said:
My guild is on Rotface in ICC yet our raid leader keeps trying to get us to do hard modes in Ulduar, and people are suprised that a lot of people don't want to go.

Obviously with our gear levels any drops from 10m Ulduar will be sharded, who wants to waste an entire evening killing Yogg or whatever for an achievement ?

I know there's a lot of guilds that push for every single raid achievement that exists.

Yup, that's what my former guild was concerned with. Seemed silly spending time on getting Rusted proto Drakes when we had multiple 10 man saves at Putricide waiting to be used. Plus, I'm happy with my Cenarion Hippogryph :D

Yaweee

thatbox said:
The easiest solution would be putting the stats that Holy paladins want on plate, which they've been absolutely horrible at this expansion. Hey, it could happen!

As an elemental shaman, I feel your pain. There ONE piece of Elemental Mail on the first SEVEN bosses of ICC10, and it comes from Putricide. And it overlaps the T10 set.

Yaweee said:
People that bitch about a lack of difficulty in WoW view the issue too simplistically. Doing instances or raids in appropriate gear can still be hard; HoR in gear 200/219 epics, or ICC in 219/232 gear might be possible, but it ain't easy, especially with the enrage timers on some fights.

I'm having a hard time imagining what would please the people that bitch about difficulty. More attunement quests? Resistance farming? Encounters and instances that absolutely require certain classes and specs to beat? Heroics in BC fucking sucked for Elemental Shaman because we didn't have any viable CC. Who the hell is going to bring one instead of a mage if every fight requires crowd control?

Or how about we go back and make Protection Warriors the only viable tank, like it was for the first few raids of vanilla? Or make massive racial differences that make some races of priests useless and others mandatory? Fuck meeting stones or Warlocks that can summon people directly in to the instance, and fuck graveyards that are near the instance portals - the penalty for wiping, or having somebody leave, are too short and need to be quadrupled like the good old days.

Sorry if I sound angry, but the bitching here, on MMO, and on the official forums is getting to me. It's astonishing how people are bitching about changes to old instance bosses so the fights make sense for high levels of DPS, or bug fixes to various bosses as if it is some giant scheme by Blizzard to remove any shred of thought or strategy from the game.
Ignore it like the rest of us sensible people do.

It's like getting worked up over something incredibly dumb and wrong that Palin supporters say. These people don't have the ability to use reason or logic. They're remembering a game that didn't actually exist in the way they remember it.

I'm in love with the appropriate difficulty in Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection. What I've seen of ICC is also appropriately difficult and challenging in a mostly fun way.

KernelPanic said:

Holy shit my guild leader is doing that too. He really wanted the drake but we got stuck in Firefigher lol. I never sign up when he schedules it; not interested in wiping because people like standing in fire and getting hit by bombs

Tamanon

Banned
One thing I haven't been able to verify yet, but will you be able to do the other wings once they open up without clearing Putricide? Or do you have to do them in order each time?

Dunlop

Sorry to keep posting here, my work blocks everything else. I forgot to ask, can you lvl your character in BG's or arena's now? (can you tell I just came from WAR?)

I'm on the fence on using my lvl 60 priest or rewinding a bit and using my lvl 45 UD mage.

edit: nvm found a link that wasn't block, awesome that you can. Gonna live in BG's for a bit with my priest (people seem to ignore noobness when they are being healed...)

Yaweee

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Ignore it like the rest of us sensible people do.

It's like getting worked up over something incredibly dumb and wrong that Palin supporters say. These people don't have the ability to use reason or logic. They're remembering a game that didn't actually exist in the way they remember it.

I'm in love with the appropriate difficulty in Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection. What I've seen of ICC is also appropriately difficult and challenging in a mostly fun way.

I agree with you completely. I really like the Palin comparison :lol

I really enjoy both Pit and Halls, and the "nerfs" that both received only made the pulls slightly more predictable.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Tamanon said:
One thing I haven't been able to verify yet, but will you be able to do the other wings once they open up without clearing Putricide? Or do you have to do them in order each time?

Read on off a link from MMO the other day that you would be able to. The Wing bosses are going to share attempts and with each wing that comes out the amount of attempts will increase. I believe it's 10 these 2 weeks with Plague, then 10 more so 20 total when the blood wing comes out, then another 10 etc., etc.

Tamanon

Banned
Dunlop said:
Sorry to keep posting here, my work blocks everything else. I forgot to ask, can you lvl your character in BG's or arena's now? (can you tell I just came from WAR?)

I'm on the fence on using my lvl 60 priest or rewinding a bit and using my lvl 45 UD mage.

Yeah, you can level in Battlegrounds now. You only really start to see it as viable when you hit level 51 and can start running Alterac Valley. The XP there is great. Plus, now that you can queue for dungeons or battlegrounds anywhere a la Warhammer, it makes it quite simple while questing.

funkmastergeneral said:
Yup, that's what my former guild was concerned with. Seemed silly spending time on getting Rusted proto Drakes when we had multiple 10 man saves at Putricide waiting to be used.

But you see why they kicked you, right? It's not because they're assholes or nazis. They want to work on achievements while you think it's stupid and don't show up. You're not a reliable raider for them.

We kicked a recruit hunter last night. A couple weeks ago we were clearing Ulduar to do Yogg 0 and he bailed in the middle of the raid to arena without telling me or another officer. He almost got booted immediately after the raid but I talked to him and gave him another chance despite the other officers wanting to kick him.

Sunday night he contacts me to let me know he *has* to arena on Monday to get the last few points to make sure he gets Gladiator. Since it was the last night of the arena season (or so he told me, I didn't check) I said that's fine as long as we're not a DPS short and need him since I knew it meant a lot to him. We do our 25 man Putricide attempts and decide to reform the 2 10 man groups from Thursday so they can finish their attempts. The group he was in is just missing him and we don't have anyone online who isn't saved plus there are maybe 5 attempts left so it'll only take about an hour. We send him a tell and get one back saying he's not going to stop and do what you have to do. Okay.

It kind of sucks because he was a decent player but oh well. You either care or you don't.

KernelPanic said:
I can see where he is coming from, who wants to do Ulduar at this stage in the game ?

I can see where both sides are coming from. Again, they're obviously not a good fit for each other.

Dunlop

Tamanon said:
Yeah, you can level in Battlegrounds now. You only really start to see it as viable when you hit level 51 and can start running Alterac Valley. The XP there is great. Plus, now that you can queue for dungeons or battlegrounds anywhere a la Warhammer, it makes it quite simple while questing.

thx, I love that in Warhammer..when the servers were active. Each patch brings a new catastophe (now we live in each other's capital city, blocking the ability to do almost anythig else). Too bad, I have a fully decked out Iron Breaker and Warrior Priest, but I really found that I missed good PVE content and no longer have the will to login.

Yaweee

GMUNYIFan said:
Read on off a link from MMO the other day that you would be able to. The Wing bosses are going to share attempts and with each wing that comes out the amount of attempts will increase. I believe it's 10 these 2 weeks with Plague, then 10 more so 20 total when the blood wing comes out, then another 10 etc., etc.

Each of the wing bosses + Arthas share attempts. 10 at first, 15 once the Blood Wing opens, 20 once the Frost Wing opens, and further increases after that. Also, once Arthas is available, players will begin to get an instance-wide buff to HP, healing, and damage that will increase from week-to-week. This buff can be opted out of.

You do not need to beat Putricide to do the other two wings - all that he blocks you from is doing Arthas.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Yaweee said:
Each of the wing bosses + Arthas share attempts. 10 at first, 15 once the Blood Wing opens, 20 once the Frost Wing opens, and further increases after that. Also, once Arthas is available, players will begin to get an instance-wide buff to HP, healing, and damage that will increase from week-to-week. This buff can be opted out of.

You do not need to beat Putricide to do the other two wings - all that he blocks you from is doing Arthas.

Is it only an increase of 5? I thought that was the increment on the ptr but so much has changed in the encounters I thought it was the same with attempts, cause I believe Putricide was initially only 5 attempts/week on the ptr and then after that was 5 more for blood, then 5 more for frost. Honestly even if it is just 5 that's still not that big of an issue. I'm thinking the reason blizz is doing this is so that most guilds will not see a kill within the first 2 weeks of each boss being unveiled and by the time the next wing is released the learning curve will finally have caught up.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It will increase by 10 when new wings open, and eventually you will get a buff to make it easier to kill things inside.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It was originally 5, but then put up to 10. 10 is a lot more forgiving than 5, imo. Heck my 10 man used all of ours on Putricide sadly :(!

J-Rzez

Wonder how much and when this "buff" in ICC will happen that the blues talked about a while ago "as the ashen verdict takes over ICC".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Wonder how much and when this "buff" in ICC will happen that the blues talked about a while ago "as the ashen verdict takes over ICC".
It's anyone's guess.

Dunlop

damn the game has changed. The cross server PVP/PVE is amazing.

I got all exited that I was about to lvl but didn't realize that I cannot go past lvl 60 with the trial account...evil bastards :D

now to figure out a way to get BC on the cheap

Tamanon

Banned
Festergut down in our 10-man, really clean clear tonight, made it all the way to Rotface and tried him quite a few times with only one wipe on Marrowgar as usual, and one on Festergut. Three healers really helped a ton on him, especially during the "tank isdying ALWAYS" phase.

Cipherr

Found myself right back into a raiding guild.....again.

Oh well, the guilds pretty hardcore but itll be fine because I was able to cut a 2 day a week requirement only. They clear faster so ironically theres less time in game. Not having to play as much will be great until D3.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tamanon said:
Festergut down in our 10-man, really clean clear tonight, made it all the way to Rotface and tried him quite a few times with only one wipe on Marrowgar as usual, and one on Festergut. Three healers really helped a ton on him, especially during the "tank isdying ALWAYS" phase.
We considered going to three, but never did. It seemed like a pretty tight DPS requirement to be doing anything like that, although switching over to a Necrosis spec instead of a Reaping spec has done a lot for my sustained DPS.

Tamanon

Banned
We were able to beat the Berserk timer by 20 seconds with 5 dps, and that was with one of them doing 3.5k as a frost mage.

I was shocked that I hit 6.5k on Suarfang of all fights on my moonkin. That was with target switching and kiting. We had him to 15% before the first Mark even hit.:lol

Oof, nevermind, the mage did 2.8k dps:lol The pally tank did 3.7k.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tamanon said:
We were able to beat the Berserk timer by 20 seconds with 5 dps, and that was with one of them doing 3.5k as a frost mage.

I was shocked that I hit 6.5k on Suarfang of all fights on my moonkin. That was with target switching and kiting. We had him to 15% before the first Mark even hit.:lol

Oof, nevermind, the mage did 2.8k dps:lol The pally tank did 3.7k.

Bring a disc priest to that fight, you'll never get a mark.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
Balance Druid Buff incoming

Balance druids in 3.3.2
Keep in mind that we tend to make much smaller adjustments during a minor patch cycle due to the limited amount of testing time we're allotted before applying such patches. For this reason you're not likely to see any major Balance druid changes coming in the next minor patch.

With that being said, one small change we have in the pipeline will double the passive effectiveness of Earth and Moon so that it provides a flat 2/4/6% spell damage increase, up from 1/2/3%. As an obligatory warning, this is subject to change prior to the next minor patch going live.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
J-Rzez said:
Got Putricide to Phase 3 then hit a brick wall. Seems a bit on the hefty side of a battle.

Putricide as a whole is just one of the more difficult encounters because it requires so many mechanics, especially target switching back and forth along with so much personal movement.

Our dps on 25 man cannot transition from Putri to the adds fast enough. We always start off okay , but eventually are barely downing one add before the next one spawns.

Then someone's out of position when the green slime sticks on them, the raid can't collapse in on them fast enough, 3 clothies die, and there goes an attempt.

It'll be interesting to see if 10s go smoother this week, though we seemed to have the same problem last week.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, I think we can now safely assume that any time WoW.com talks about "sources close to the situation" they're talking about pulling stuff out of their ass.

They were swindled by a fake twitter account with a fake Cataclysm alpha disc, and still stood by their alpha release date.

I'm going to stick to BB at MMO-Champion from here on out, if he doesn't say it, it's not happening.:lol

Tamanon said:
BTW, I think we can now safely assume that any time WoW.com talks about "sources close to the situation" they're talking about pulling stuff out of their ass.

They were swindled by a fake twitter account with a fake Cataclysm alpha disc, and still stood by their alpha release date.

I'm going to stick to BB at MMO-Champion from here on out, if he doesn't say it, it's not happening.:lol
Well, WoW.com is basically a news blog (a la Kotaku or Joystiq) with more of a focus on editorial articles or columns. You know they're going to run with anything that looks remotely real (Xbox Pure, anyone?). And hey they also happen to be run by companies who, for whatever reason, like money. Hits = money.

MMO-Champion is basically just a site that reports on news with straight facts (and sometimes heavily researched rumours). Bouboisfdjsjkldsfj doesn't really have much to gain from running false stories that he hasn't fact-checked with his now very credible sources. I mean, he did predict the Cata info with nearly 100% accuracy weeks before Blizzcon.

mclem

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

If I ran Blizzard - and the world should be grateful that I do not, I would do the following.

1) "Owing to popular demand, we have now released a vanilla server, starting from patch 1.0 and adding content at the same rate it was added originally"
2) "To ensure people get a true experience of just how much fun it was in that *classic* time, we are strictly limiting the classes available."
3) Make the server paladin-only. Would shammy-only be similarly bad for Horde?

Dunlop

mclem said:
If I ran Blizzard - and the world should be grateful that I do not, I would do the following.

1) "Owing to popular demand, we have now released a vanilla server, starting from patch 1.0 and adding content at the same rate it was added originally"
2) "To ensure people get a true experience of just how much fun it was in that *classic* time, we are strictly limiting the classes available."
3) Make the server paladin-only, or shammy-only on the horde side.

I hope they also have a seperate forum as point #3 alone was an endless bitchfest of how one side had it better over the other.

mclem

Festergut-25 down. I'm really pleased - our guild's never really been great at DPS and so I'm always worried when a DPS-check boss comes around, we generally need a few weeks of upgrades to meet the enrage timer. This time, though, we got what's quite a tight fight in the very first week.

However:

Narumi of EU-Lothar on Festergut (one of the bottommost *ranked* balance druids on that fight)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/sd0349aw5v0le2r0/details/108/?s=12139&e=12436

The fight took just under five minutes, much like our kill (which took 1 tick of gas under enrage. Ouch.)

Our moonkin on Festergut:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dfigg1b82k73aw4b/details/16/?s=4034&e=4336

I need to become Mr. Shouty again, I think. I dislike that.

ToddG15

So how were people successful with 10 Rotface? We downed Festergut last week on attempt 2 but hit a wall with Rotface that I would like to avoid this week... It's possible we just didn't go at it long enough to fully learn it (gave it about 7-8 tries i think) but we only really got decently close once at around 30%.

Any tips or strats that we're just missing? Obviously our biggest problem is the slime kiting/ot'ing, since that's basically all the fight is..

ToddG15 said:
So how were people successful with 10 Rotface? We downed Festergut last week on attempt 2 but hit a wall with Rotface that I would like to avoid this week... It's possible we just didn't go at it long enough to fully learn it (gave it about 7-8 tries i think) but we only really got decently close once at around 30%.

Any tips or strats that we're just missing? Obviously our biggest problem is the slime kiting/ot'ing, since that's basically all the fight is..

It's just a matter of execution. People need to merge their adds and get back to the boss ASAP and not die to the explosion. It's very easy when everyone is doing their job.

Epix

Had a nice 10man run last night.

346036x.jpg

hobart

Putricide may be my favorite fight this entire xpac. I really enjoyed Yogg, too... but Putricide really require you to do many things WELL in order for it to happen.

For my weekly 10m... we are melee heavy (I'm the only ranged). It's rather fun trying to make it work for our comp... and it was extremely rewarding once we finally got it. Abomination mastery is really paramount, but, according to my Abom runner, it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

Anywho... not disappointed with the encounters in ICC at all. Something tells me the best is still yet to come.

Macattk15

Almost got Putricide 25 last night. Wiped at 7% ..... then lag started to hit us hard and we just stopped for the night, still got 7 attempts left. Should have em down tonight.

Hate the fight as a rogue, too much target switching.

Dunlop

I was amazed that it took a little more than 2 hours to lvl to 61 (rest xp), does it turn into a massive grind between 60-70?

there wasn't a whole lot of people in the zone when I was there, I assume the majority is out of BC and is in the north..

Tamanon

Banned
Dunlop said:
I was amazed that it took a little more than 2 hours to lvl to 61 (rest xp), does it turn into a massive grind between 60-70?

there wasn't a whole lot of people in the zone when I was there, I assume the majority is out of BC and is in the north..

The leveling has been sped up a great deal, it slows down a bit when you hit level 70, but there's so many different ways to level now that it's not that bad.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
So last night my guild was running 25 ICC and we were getting some TERRIBLE issues with lag. I'm guessing it was something with the instance server, but it always seems to happen with us hardcore when we get to Saurfang. We wiped on him for close to an hour which is frustrating because in weeks when we don't have lag we one-shot him. Even with the lag we would get him down to 7% and then the lag would affect the healers and the mark'd targets would die, heal him and continue to snowball out of control. Being an officer I called for a break and spoke with a guildie that recommended I Divine Intervention the first person that gets the mark. After the break we continued to have lag, but after DI'ing the first mark'd target we were able to get him down to 39% without a 2nd mark going up and we ended up getting the <5 mark achievement on the first attempt after break.

My question to you guys.....is this exploiting? I don't think so, but one of the other officers that is a major purist when it comes to raiding was pretty upset over the whole thing. I honestly wouldn't have used that strat had it not been for the lag and wiping on farmed content for over an hour. Thoughts?

Tamanon

Banned
Wait, so DI clears the mark? Yeah, that sounds like an exploit. Just like Rogues can vanish if they're quick enough to do it while they're being targeted but before the Mark lands.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Tamanon said:
Wait, so DI clears the mark? Yeah, that sounds like an exploit. Just like Rogues can vanish if they're quick enough to do it while they're being targeted but before the Mark lands.

Doesn't clear the mark, but it makes that person immune to the damage for the full duration.

Tamanon

Banned
GMUNYIFan said:
Doesn't clear the mark, but it makes that person immune to the damage for the full duration.

Oh, in that case it's alright to use. But kinda pointless since you're sacrificing someone anyways. Might as well just let them die and eat that 5%. That's what we do and on 25-man we get maybe 4 marks at most.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Tamanon said:
Oh, in that case it's alright to use. But kinda pointless since you're sacrificing someone anyways. Might as well just let them die and eat that 5%. That's what we do and on 25-man we get maybe 4 marks at most.

Well what I ended up doing was calling for a warlock to SS me and as soon as I DI'd I pop'd back up and got short buffs and continued dps'ing. The DI'd target which happened to be our ele shaman was free from 100% until the DI around 55%, then the DI wore off around 12% and we finished the fight. Got 3-4 marks total. Next week so long as we have no lag I'm going to call for the normal strat of no deaths and no DI's but if lag is there it's nice to know you can make the fight easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom