• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jim-jam bongs said:
A few people did suggest both letting the marked people die and using some of the cheesy tricks available to deal with it, but I usually argue against such things lest it become a case of always having to bring a pally with a deathwish, or a raid consisting entirely of rogues equipped with powerful ranged weapons and health pots. Other people can do it! We should be able to as well.

We'll probably manage it this week, although I'll be away so I won't get to see it. I'm kind of just a little bummed that we needed a nerfed Deathwhisper to get that done, then a mere 2 bosses later we're roadblocked again.
You can distill the strategy for Saurfang down to one sentence: Kill the blood beasts and don't let them hit you.

I still can't figure out why they didn't make Saurfang's corpse not blink.

Angry Grimace said:
I heard that you can avoid getting Mark of the Fallen Champion if he casts it on a rogue and the rogue uses Vanish :lol

I never have tried it but it would be pretty funny.
It's not as simple as that. Basically there's a split second period between him targeting someone and casting the mark, and in that time period you have to cast Vanish so you get that half-second immunity and stop the mark. It's useful to do, but hard (especially on high latencies, like mine).

Sullen

KernelPanic said:
Yeah thats how it works -- I thought this kind of thing was common ? (among strict 10man guilds anyway)

Uhm... that is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. Why would you want to be in a guild that doesn't allow you to do 25 mans? further, why would any guild even implement a policy like that? :lol

:lol :lol

So my foray into a hardcore raiding guild has come to a close. After a 3 week trial, I was asked to leave because I didn't want to go to their Ulduar 25 hardmode run because I didn't feel like doing irrelevant content.

Bummer. At least it's taught me that despite how fun it is to absolutely obliterate content, raiding with assholes/nazi's isn't worth it.

Sullen said:
Uhm... that is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. Why would you want to be in a guild that doesn't allow you to do 25 mans? further, why would any guild even implement a policy like that? :lol
It'd be to make the instances actually challenging and 'as the devs intended'. Blizz has stated that they want the 10man raids to be able to be completed with gear that's only from 10man raids. I can understand their argument as to not pugging ICC25 as that provides gear over what's currently possible in 10mans.

I imagine when ICC hard modes open up they would probably allow for pugs to do ICC25 as the ilvl of items from there would be the same as hard modes on 10man, and so on and so forth. It's an interesting concept and makes sure everyone in the raid is actually skilled, not just carried by gear.

EDIT:
funkmastergeneral said:
So my foray into a hardcore raiding guild has come to a close. After a 3 week trial, I was asked to leave because I didn't want to go to their Ulduar 25 hardmode run because I didn't feel like doing irrelevant content.

Bummer. At least it's taught me that despite how fun it is to absolutely obliterate content, raiding with assholes/nazi's isn't worth it.
It's not really irrelevant.
If you like mounts and titles, that is. You like mounts and titles, don't you?

Sullen

Orbitcube said:
It'd be to make the instances actually challenging and 'as the devs intended'. Blizz has stated that they want the 10man raids to be able to be completed with gear that's only from 10man raids. I can understand their argument as to not pugging ICC25 as that provides gear over what's currently possible in 10mans.

Neither 10 nor 25 man instances are even remotely 'challenging' unless you are doing heroic modes, so I'm not sure what the point of that guideline is.

Orbitcube said:
It's not as simple as that. Basically there's a split second period between him targeting someone and casting the mark, and in that time period you have to cast Vanish so you get that half-second immunity and stop the mark. It's useful to do, but hard (especially on high latencies, like mine).

It's not really that hard if you're watching for it and have a castbar mod in an area you can easily see. What I find harder is making sure I don't blow the vanish when it isn't me, but that's only because i put the castbar below the boss on the screen and left the xperl targetting on default, so I lose a second looking away. Probably pretty easily rectified.

If you hit the vanish right before the castbar is ending usually latency works well enough in your favor that the immunity will block it. I consider myself only average twitch-wise and I don't have any trouble blocking it.

Sullen said:
Neither 10 nor 25 man instances are even remotely 'challenging' unless you are doing heroic modes, so I'm not sure what the point of that guideline is.

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall some of the bigger guild progress/ranking websites disqualifying 10m guilds from the charts if they stray from pure 10m progression, meaning no 25m gear. I don't really understand it either, but I guess if you're in a guild with people that care about it I'd imagine they'd want to do whatever it took to make sure the guild didn't get DQ'ed, as one raider with inapproprite gear will do it.

Fake edit: Totally beaten at the end of the previous page.

Oh wow. Turns out my account got permabanned for using hacks, which is completely untrue. I may push the rules of the game to its limits (flaming oil spam, above Ironforge, all those little explorations, etc.), but nothing that goes directly against their ToS. Needless to say I've lodged an appeal to overturn the decision as I have never used a program to illegally gain an advantage at the game, which is their definition of exploitative activity.

J-Rzez

Wow, we have more trouble with Rotface than Festergut which became a walk in the park. The slimes just kept pumping out faster and faster, taking our healers and dps out of the battle longer than you'd think it should. Keep in mind, this is coming from basically a 10-man guild, not 25-man, and especially BiS geared guild. We're the #1 strict 10-man guild on the server too, not like we slack in the 10-man content.

jlai said:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my gear?

Armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Deathright

Replace that PVP gear as soon as possible is my suggestion from a quick glance. Get a 3rd JC dragon's eye gem in there, as well as a prismatic to help with set bonuses. Pick up another profession to get a buff. Quickest to level with an ok buff would be skinning. BS would be optimal.

Tamanon

Banned
We just let the marks die. In 25-man we can get the kill in 3 marks or so and 10-man we'll get the second mark right as he's dying.

Orbitcube said:
Oh wow. Turns out my account got permabanned for using hacks, which is completely untrue. I may push the rules of the game to its limits (flaming oil spam, above Ironforge, all those little explorations, etc.), but nothing that goes directly against their ToS. Needless to say I've lodged an appeal to overturn the decision as I have never used a program to illegally gain an advantage at the game, which is their definition of exploitative activity.

Let me know how that appeal goes =P, your post + a few posts on the customer service forums qqing about "hacking" bans have got me pretty paranoid about the flaming oil spam I was doing tonight in Dal :<

J-Rzez said:
Wow, we have more trouble with Rotface than Festergut which became a walk in the park. The slimes just kept pumping out faster and faster, taking our healers and dps out of the battle longer than you'd think it should. Keep in mind, this is coming from basically a 10-man guild, not 25-man, and especially BiS geared guild. We're the #1 strict 10-man guild on the server too, not like we slack in the 10-man content.

We're struggling with Rotface as well.

It's all about the kiting, if the OT gets touched by the big ooze he gets 1-shot pretty much. I think we had a cleansing totem down during the fight tho, wasn't really paying attention.

It's also tricky running a slime to the big slime when its right on top of the slime spill. The damage aura from the big ooze + damage from the slime will pretty much kill a non-tank from what Ive seen.

Cipherr

Saw some people spamming that oil in the city tonight, amazing to think someone would get banned for that. In any case hotfix inc, thats for sure.

Sax Russel said:
Let me know how that appeal goes =P, your post + a few posts on the customer service forums qqing about "hacking" bans have got me pretty paranoid about the flaming oil spam I was doing tonight in Dal :<
I think I have a good chance of getting the permaban overturned and maybe getting a small suspension (disrupting gameplay is against the ToS).

I did have a few people say they were going to report me for it, I shrugged it off and continued. Ironically I just logged on yesterday and was surprised I wasn't banned after I went away on a holiday, and mentioned how empty their threats of reporting me were to another person who spammed flaming oil (I think he was one of the few people I've told, we're quite good friends now actually). So yeah, just watch out with the spam. If you're in Dal you can fly over Dal from a certain height and still spam the item without getting dismounted.

It's actually funny how little the Account Administration team know about the game to accuse me of using hacks to do it.

Cipherr

Orbitcube said:

This makes me wonder about using deterrence and seeing if I can immune it. But perhaps thats not possible.

Puncture said:
This makes me wonder about using deterrence and seeing if I can immune it. But perhaps thats not possible.
Entirely possible. Seems to work on some other boss abilities like Deep Breath and the Dark/Like Vortex on Val'kyrs according to the comments on Wowhead.

border

Orbitcube said:
What exactly does spamming Flaming Oil do?

border said:
What exactly does spamming Flaming Oil do?
Creates a fire effect where your mouse is pointed. With one of those Logitech G15 keyboards you can make a macro so that it casts a very large amount of them at once, which can freeze people's WoW clients for a couple of seconds. It can really piss people with poor computers off. But the effect that it creates is pretty spectacular. I think the ban depends on who's reported you because I have some friends who also did it on different realms and didn't get banned. Oh well, you live and learn.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Orbitcube said:
Creates a fire effect where your mouse is pointed. With one of those Logitech G15 keyboards you can make a macro so that it casts a very large amount of them at once, which can freeze people's WoW clients for a couple of seconds. It can really piss people with poor computers off. But the effect that it creates is pretty spectacular. I think the ban depends on who's reported you because I have some friends who also did it on different realms and didn't get banned. Oh well, you live and learn.

You sound like a huge douche, so I'm pretty glad you're banned then.

LAUGHTREY said:
You sound like a huge douche, so I'm pretty glad you're banned then.
It's not like I did it to intentionally harm other player's experiences, it was just for a bit of fun while I'd normally be running around in circles in cities. I knew my limits and made the macro so it didn't freeze my client in the slightest but I guess that still might have done something to other's clients.

Kweh

For classes with temporary pets, they can pop a trinket before summoning their Water Ele, Treants, Fire Ele etc to make them more powerful. Can a Warlock do the same thing before summoning his perma-pet?

I think the buff just lasts the trinket duration on the temp pet, but my mate says his Water Elemental which is glyphed to make it permanent, keeps the buff for as long as it’s summoned.

funkmastergeneral said:
:lol :lol

So Ulduar was a mandatory raid and you didn't go because you thought it was irrelevant and not worth your time. Yeah, I would have kicked you too. You're obviously not a good fit for their guild.

Dunlop

I'm foolishly activating my account on the 10 day trial (jonsing for an MMO to play)

I have been away for a long time. I had played a bit of BC on a buddies account when it first came out (maybe for 2 weeks) but have not played since.

My toon is a lvl 60 UD priest on Gorefiend, any good guides on the web get me up to speed? Also looking at the posts on the WOW forums, there is a whole RAF thing going on. Does this work only with new accounts or is there a way that I can be referred?

I'm still in shock that BC still sells for like $40 here.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Dunlop said:
I'm foolishly activating my account on the 10 day trial (jonsing for an MMO to play)

I have been away for a long time. I had played a bit of BC on a buddies account when it first came out (maybe for 2 weeks) but have not played since.

My toon is a lvl 60 UD priest on Gorefiend, any good guides on the web get me up to speed? Also looking at the posts on the WOW forums, there is a whole RAF thing going on. Does this work only with new accounts or is there a way that I can be referred?

The RaF bonus only works up until level 60 I believe. It's really helpful for leveling a ton of alts since you get a free level for every 2 the other person gets, but that's about it. It won't help you post lvl 60. Can't you get a digital download of TBC online for cheaper than 40? I thought the blizzard store actually sold it cheaper.

Dunlop

GMUNYIFan said:
The RaF bonus only works up until level 60 I believe. It's really helpful for leveling a ton of alts since you get a free level for every 2 the other person gets, but that's about it. It won't help you post lvl 60. Can't you get a digital download of TBC online for cheaper than 40? I thought the blizzard store actually sold it cheaper.

ah, that makes more sense (also as to why there was a billion threads of RAF requests), I was up really late last night and didn't get a chance to log in.

I went through the whole install with my old CD's...only to have the game redownload the entire client (5GB) then this morning it patched a 1.23 GB update twice and I had to leave for work.

I just started the trial this morning and I have no clue if BC was even installed or if I have to download that also :D My title screen at login shows the Lich King winter background.

thanks for the info

I'm craking up at my noobness and how deep the skill trees are. I was on the leading horde sever back in the day with my uber "tier 2" gear, now I have no clue

Dunlop said:

Gorefiend US? Send me a tell in game, Tuffghost if my shaman's name, if you need help with anything.

Flib

Orbitcube said:

Like the macros you can do with the WoW steelseries mouse, those types of macros using the G15 are actually against the ToS, so you're probably permabanned.

joelseph

Orbitcube said:

I will never understand kids like you.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Dunlop said:
ah, that makes more sense (also as to why there was a billion threads of RAF requests), I was up really late last night and didn't get a chance to log in.

I went through the whole install with my old CD's...only to have the game redownload the entire client (5GB) then this morning it patched a 1.23 GB update twice and I had to leave for work.

I just started the trial this morning and I have no clue if BC was even installed or if I have to download that also :D My title screen at login shows the Lich King winter background.

thanks for the info

I'm craking up at my noobness and how deep the skill trees are. I was on the leading horde sever back in the day with my uber "tier 2" gear, now I have no clue

Yea the patches you're downloading are basically just the expansions in part. You have to download the files so that you can see the draeneis, blood elves, all the Death knights....stuff like that that doesn't exist in the original wow but still something you may encounter in a capital city. It takes a ton of time, but if you eventually get BC and WotLK and need to do a full install again you can just install wow 1.0, then BC, then LK cause those discs have all the necessary files on them for all the updates.

cubicle47b said:
So Ulduar was a mandatory raid and you didn't go because you thought it was irrelevant and not worth your time. Yeah, I would have kicked you too. You're obviously not a good fit for their guild.

I can see where he is coming from, who wants to do Ulduar at this stage in the game ?

I'm in the same boat, we're being dragged into Ulduar for half the week just for an achievement and abyss crystals, when we should be working on ICC(or ToGC.)

Dunlop

GMUNYIFan said:
Yea the patches you're downloading are basically just the expansions in part. You have to download the files so that you can see the draeneis, blood elves, all the Death knights....stuff like that that doesn't exist in the original wow but still something you may encounter in a capital city. It takes a ton of time, but if you eventually get BC and WotLK and need to do a full install again you can just install wow 1.0, then BC, then LK cause those discs have all the necessary files on them for all the updates.

Thanks for the info, I have the physical BC disks. I had purchased when I played with my buddies account (both of us had quit and I wanted to try out a Warlock)..unfortunately I cannot use the key for my own account : (

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So, I've been thinking about jewelcrafting in the next expansion. I'm not expecting anyone to know, but I've been asking myself these questions:

-are a lot of the current epic patterns s going to be used still? seems like a lot of patterns/tokens to throw away.
-are things going to be sold by the same tokens we're getting now?
-will we perhaps be able to upgrade the patterns we have now if they introduce a new type of tokens?

Yaweee

DeathNote said:
So, I've been thinking about jewelcrafting in the next expansion. I'm not expecting anyone to know, but I've been asking myself these questions:

-are a lot of the current epic patterns s going to be used still? seems like a lot of patterns/tokens to throw away.
-are things going to be sold by the same tokens we're getting now?
-will we perhaps be able to upgrade the patterns we have now if they introduce a new type of tokens?

I'm assuming everything will be made obsolete except for leveling/temporary/achievement purposes, just like all of the BC and end-game Vanilla stuff before it. The odds of "upgrading patterns" is basically nil.

Tamanon

Banned
Nope, it'll be all starting anew for jewelcrafting, just like when BC ended. I mean that was just a rep grind for the patterns, but they'll just come up with another mechanic to do the new gems and patterns. The current purples will be better than the new greens most likely still, though.

Plus with stat consolidation, a lot of gemtypes will just go away.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tamanon said:
Nope, it'll be all starting anew for jewelcrafting, just like when BC ended. I mean that was just a rep grind for the patterns, but they'll just come up with another mechanic to do the new gems and patterns. The current purples will be better than the new greens most likely still, though.

Plus with stat consolidation, a lot of gemtypes will just go away.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the stats. What's the reasoning behind that? Seems like they put in a lot of effort into adding them only to knock it all away in one swoop.

Yaweee

DeathNote said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the stats. What's the reasoning behind that? Seems like they put in a lot of effort into adding them only to knock it all away in one swoop.

Different stats are being removed for different reasons. The new talent system of having "Masteries" for each of three trees based on total number of points spent fills in some of the gaps, and is hard to separate from the stat changes.

-Spell Power is coming from Intellect because almost every single because of caster PvE gear has Spell Power and Intellect in a precise ratio based on item level. As such, it is a completely unnecessary complication that doesn't really add anything to the game.
-Defense is too complicated and too important. It has a cap that isn't really a cap, and failure to meet the soft-cap means you just won't progress. The % crit reduction is either going to be handled by talents or masteries.

-Attack Power won't be on gear, period. Strength gives AP for plate wearers, Agility gives AP for Leather and Mail wearers. This has the side benefit of making Plate wearers not want lower armor types.

-MP5. The difference between MP5 and spirit is dumb and overly complicated.

-Haste is also going to improve Rage, Energy, and Rune regeneration rates so the stat is more meaningful to those classes.

There was also the problem that the conversion rates between ratings and % is set for the level, which led to certain stats getting way too high by the end of the expansion.

mclem

Tamanon said:

Based on TBC -> WotLK:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32200
Solid Empyrean Sapphire, Purple TBC gem, +15Sta

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39919
Solid Chalcedony, Green WotLK gem, +18Sta

So, er, yeah; don't count on it.

mclem

J-Rzez said:

That was, essentially, the logic behind his 10man health nerf; at the rate they start coming you end up with a quarter to a half of your raid all dealing with their slime rather than DPSing the boss. In 25-man, the same cast rate ends up harming a much smaller proportion of your raid.

explodet

Yaweee said:
-MP5. The difference between MP5 and spirit is dumb and overly complicated.
One thing about MP5 vs spirit is that it discouraged mail and plate healers from rolling on cloth and leather pieces because recent itemization had spirit benefitting cloth/leather wearers. Will they be doing something similar in the expansion? I'd hate to see priests and druids get frozen out because paladins are stealing all the healing pieces.

Yaweee

explodet said:
One thing about MP5 vs spirit is that it discouraged mail and plate healers from rolling on cloth and leather pieces because recent itemization had spirit benefitting cloth/leather wearers. Will they be doing something similar in the expansion? I'd hate to see priests and druids get frozen out because paladins are stealing all the healing pieces.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with that as well. Hopefully they come up with a good solution to it.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Door2Dawn said:
Is shadow's edge apart of the legendary axe quest line?

Yea you have to craft the shadow's edge before you can truly begin forging shadowmourne. Right now I'm on the quest to harvest/feed the axe 1000 souls. After that you have to kill all the wing bosses(normal or hard doesn't matter) under certain conditions and collect 60 shards of the frozen throne. It's gonna be a long time before anyone completes it that's for sure. Thankfully I run full clears 10 and 25 each week. Sucks that the drop rate of the shards isn't higher. 25-50% on normal 25 man kills 51-100% drop on hard mode kills.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
explodet said:

Most guilds should give priority of leather/cloth to druids and priests. I know in my guild so long as there is a rogue or druid rolling on leather dps loot my rolls mean absolutely nothing. Retadin here btw.

Tamanon

Banned
The MP/5 vs Spirit distinction takes more precedence with dealing with jewelry. It's why Spirit suddenly became much more useful for caster DPS, so that they wouldn't have to make THREE Caster rings each time.:lol

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yaweee said:
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with that as well. Hopefully they come up with a good solution to it.

One thing I've noticed with a lot of gear lately that I think will continue into Cataclysm is that there will be cloth/leather/plate gear that all have the same stats

For example:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50990 - Kilt of Untreated Wounds (Cloth)
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=51019 - Ripping Flesh Kilt (Mail)
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50775 - Corrupted Silverplate Leggings (Plate)

Dunlop

funkmastergeneral said:
Gorefiend US? Send me a tell in game, Tuffghost if my shaman's name, if you need help with anything.

thanks BTW, I'll play for a bit and then bother you so my noobness will be at a minimal. Just reading 10 pages back and I realize I no longer know squat.

It will take me forever to figure out a good Priest spec (I am a spec-a-holic and I remember being at the 50G cap per respec). I was Holy/disc forever as I was permaraiding. I think I will play with shadow :D

yacobod

Banned
KernelPanic said:
and abyss crystals

lol, crystals are cheap as fuck now anyways, whats the point

only reasonable explanation to go to ulduar is for the weekly raid quest or if you would be selling drakes for 10k or w/e they go for on your server

Macattk15

Sullen said:

Some bosses are challenging, like Putricide however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom