• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
Finally killed Rotface in ICC10. It took probably a good 20 some attempts before we finally got it. There was a lot of explaining, and explaining, and emphasizing parts of the explanation, and re-explanation, and telling people to stop running around like chickens with their heads cut off before we finally got it.

4 people were up when he finally died. But holy crap was that a rush when he went down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FLEABttn said:
Finally killed Rotface in ICC10. It took probably a good 20 some attempts before we finally got it. There was a lot of explaining, and explaining, and emphasizing parts of the explanation, and re-explanation, and telling people to stop running around like chickens with their heads cut off before we finally got it.

4 people were up when he finally died. But holy crap was that a rush when he went down.
And he probably dropped Spell Power Plate :lol

Sciz

Finally decided it was time to get an authenticator, after seeing the third guy in my guild get his account hijacked and the gbank raided again. D:

Sciz said:
Finally decided it was time to get an authenticator, after seeing the third guy in my guild get his account hijacked and the gbank raided again. D:
Same. Seems like I see a new person every day get screwed over. What I want to know is why hackers are able to get away with so much. To me it seems like as soon as someone reports being hacked, blizzard should be able to trace all the accounts that gear and gold went to and shut down those accounts. With the monthly cost of wow, it seems like it should be cost ineffective to even bother with hacking, and yet, that is not the case.

Deputy Moonman said:
Same. Seems like I see a new person every day get screwed over. What I want to know is why hackers are able to get away with so much. To me it seems like as soon as someone reports being hacked, blizzard should be able to trace all the accounts that gear and gold went to and shut down those accounts. With the monthly cost of wow, it seems like it should be cost ineffective to even bother with hacking, and yet, that is not the case.
What happens when they start mailing it to random innocent people? And nothing stops them from putting up another 15-20 bucks for another account.

Sciz said:

I actually just bought one too, since they're probably going to be mandatory. Really glad I had to spend about $30AUD because other people do stupid things.

Cipherr

Angry Grimace said:
You can't need roll it regardless of what they roll. If they don't want it, ask them to need it and give it to you.

Of course however the 'Gotcha!' here is that everyone hits de or greed as soon as the box pops. So you wont get a chance to ask them not to roll unless you do it at the start of the run, and even still Ive seen people greed just out of habit by accident. And if nothing has changed you cant trade those items to people not on your server, even if you all are in the same instance.

Puncture said:
Of course however the 'Gotcha!' here is that everyone hits de or greed as soon as the box pops. So you wont get a chance to ask them not to roll unless you do it at the start of the run, and even still Ive seen people greed just out of habit by accident. And if nothing has changed you cant trade those items to people not on your server, even if you all are in the same instance.

It's always a pain on my druid when a cloth healing piece drops. Since my main is a priest I understand the motivation behind it, but I think the system could be made more fair by splitting need rolls into "highest AC need" and "other need". That way if a cloth wearer wants the piece they still get first preference, but other classes that can use the gear still get a fair crack at it.

Yaweee

I wonder how much the increase in account theft is due to account names now being email addresses, and people registering for unscrupulous or unsecured fan sites with the same username and password.

Retro

J-Rzez said:
Man, all this talk about the stat changes in Cataclysm is really starting to worry me. I'm not someone obsessed with spread sheets and such, but even I enjoy balancing out my key stats and maxing my potential. I'm fearing they're really going to dumb it down into oblivion the way they're talking.

Stats are the foundation of all the gameplay mechanics that follow. A clearer, easier, and less chaotic foundation makes the features that are built upon it stronger and less prone to wild swings or undesirable effects. I would even suggest that WoW could lose more stats. A lot of things that are stats should simply be effects; Armor penetration especially. Here's to it being removed, thankfully.

Sciz said:

Mine just arrived today, planning to attach it to my account before I play tonight (If I play, been on an Ocarina of Time kick... :lol).

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What happens when they start mailing it to random innocent people? And nothing stops them from putting up another 15-20 bucks for another account.
There is a difference b/w mailing a couple of items to someone versus a large quantity. I think blizzard would be able to distinguish b/w the two. And hackers are trying to sell gold, which means they're not gonna be willing to give up much.

Putting up 15-20 bucks for another account is exactly my point. If blizzard kept shutting down the accounts, in the end, the hackers are going to be spending more than they're receiving, which is why I was wondering how they actually make a profit.

For as much money as we pay monthly, you'd think blizzard would be cracking down harder on the hackers, but instead it seems like they are just using them as a way to make more money (i.e. authenticators).

Sciz

Deputy Moonman said:
There is a difference b/w mailing a couple of items to someone versus a large quantity. I think blizzard would be able to distinguish b/w the two. And hackers are trying to sell gold, which means they're not gonna be willing to give up much.

Putting up 15-20 bucks for another account is exactly my point. If blizzard kept shutting down the accounts, in the end, the hackers are going to be spending more than they're receiving, which is why I was wondering how they actually make a profit.

For as much money as we pay monthly, you'd think blizzard would be cracking down harder on the hackers, but instead it seems like they are just using them as a way to make more money (i.e. authenticators).
I doubt they're making much, if anything, off of them. Not that it's not financially motivated; less accounts being hacked means less support staff they have to employ to clean up the mess. But they have to buy the authenticators from the manufacturer and they're eating the shipping costs now, at least for some regions. Razor-thin margins at best, and it wouldn't surprise me if they're taking a loss on each one.

Deputy Moonman said:
They do free shipping now, and the mobile phone software has always been free. They're not making any money.

They do free shipping now, and the mobile phone software has always been free. They're not making any money.

I don't agree that it's exploitative, but just to clarify they only offer free shipping to the continental US, and they don't have free authenticators for anything other than the iPhone outside the EU/US. You're right that they don't make money from it, but I do think it's unfortunate that it's had to come to this.

Door2Dawn

Banned
How does one get their account hijacked anyway? I usually just avoid any WoW or any mmo related websites, and avoid random links posted on the warcraft forums.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jim-jam bongs said:
It's always a pain on my druid when a cloth healing piece drops. Since my main is a priest I understand the motivation behind it, but I think the system could be made more fair by splitting need rolls into "highest AC need" and "other need". That way if a cloth wearer wants the piece they still get first preference, but other classes that can use the gear still get a fair crack at it.
They should just let you Need roll on anything, but if you are of the "wrong" class and someone else of the "right" class needs, your roll doesn't count. Problem solved.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Technically they make money for handing them out like candy by giving their CSR department less work.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
full heroic i277 tier 10 is looking to be best in slot right?

so, then, it's in your best interest to spend emblem of frost on tier 10 since you need those pieces to upgrade?

Tamanon

Banned
DeathNote said:
full heroic i277 tier 10 is looking to be best in slot right?

so, then, it's in your best interest to spend emblem of frost on tier 10 since you need those pieces to upgrade?

Well, it depends really on what type of Icecrown you're raiding. I mean you won't even be able to get the 277 level gear until after you've downed the Lich King and then the heroic modes. You should have gone through enough frost emblems by then to get at least one tier 10 piece even if you're getting off-tier stuff. I personally just focused on getting 2 tier 10, then I start looking at upgrades, like I just got the caster cloak since it's BiS for a long time.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tamanon said:
Well, it depends really on what type of Icecrown you're raiding. I mean you won't even be able to get the 277 level gear until after you've downed the Lich King and then the heroic modes. You should have gone through enough frost emblems by then to get at least one tier 10 piece even if you're getting off-tier stuff. I personally just focused on getting 2 tier 10, then I start looking at upgrades, like I just got the caster cloak since it's BiS for a long time.
yeah, i see what you're saying

in that case, i need to choose which two pieces of tier 10 to get for dps DK.

they all are upgrades and they all have items better than them.

looking at maxdps.. the head, hands, and legs have the lowest difference (28-38dps) between tier 10 and what they list as best in slot.

Belfast

I've spent nearly all my Frost Emblems on Primordial Saronite so far. I've never played the AH, or anything like that, but I need to start saving up some for the expansion. As I see it, the gear is going to be there for months, but the Saronite is only going to go down in price over time. As an officer, and one of the best players in my guild, I'm often invited to both 25 and 10-man version pro groups for ICC, so I have no particular shortage of badges. And with more bosses opening up + the VoA boss, it's only going to get easier.

Though I *did* buy the Herkumi War Token for my Rogue.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Belfast said:
I've spent nearly all my Frost Emblems on Primordial Saronite so far. I've never played the AH, or anything like that, but I need to start saving up some for the expansion. As I see it, the gear is going to be there for months, but the Saronite is only going to go down in price over time. As an officer, and one of the best players in my guild, I'm often invited to both 25 and 10-man version pro groups for ICC.

Though I *did* buy the Herkumi War Token for my Rogue.
so, you're selling them and getting instance drops?

i probably should do that actually.

how much are they going for on your server?

Yaweee

Some people care way too much about how other people are doing in Heroics.

Our warlock lags during the Garfrost fight so his total damage is low, so the tank starts bitching about how the lock has to "pick up the dps or [the tank] is leaving," because he doesn't like carrying people through heroics.

I bring up that we're doing fine, so what does it matter, and then the guy goes off about his bitchy wife and lack of sleep.

It was a clean run except for the healer dying against Scourgelord, and only took about 20 minutes overall. What the hell about that would prompt somebody to call the group pathetic?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yaweee said:

Our warlock lags during the Garfrost fight so his total damage is low, so the tank starts bitching about how the lock has to "pick up the dps or [the tank] is leaving," because he doesn't like carrying people through heroics.

I bring up that we're doing fine, so what does it matter, and then the guy goes off about his bitchy wife and lack of sleep.

It was a clean run except for the healer dying against Scourgelord, and only took about 20 minutes overall. What the hell about that would prompt somebody to call the group pathetic?
Some people are pricks and are best avoided.

Belfast

Yaweee said:

Indeed. Even as a generally good player, I've been on the receiving end of this treatment on a relatively low-geared 80 alt I was trying to bring up.

People really need to check their ego at the door when using the Dungeon Finder. If someone honestly SUCKS, and it's terribly obvious, fine. If they're doing stupid things like pulling mobs and they aren't the tank, fine.

But, Frost Badges for the daily aside, the Dungeon Finder is not for your personal vanity. It's for people who need the gear, and the Triumph badges to obtain more of it, so that they can work their way up to higher content. If they've hit the level cap and done a bunch of quests, where else can they realistically go at that point for equipment?

So quit being a douche, keep your ego in check, and help them out a little bit.

The ONLY place you might have room to complain is Halls of Reflection, because those beginning waves *can* be tough to get through without skilled players.

The term, "getting carried" has become a cliche, and a lot of the idiots have latched onto it. It's most annoying. Someone is always going to be doing better dps than someone else, so technically, everyone is always getting carried by the top dps. When I run heroics on my prot warrior and am doing more damage/dps than 2-3 dps in the group, I don't really care. If anything I feel great. It usually means I'm running with someone new to the game or someone that is trying out a new class, and it motivates me to get them to the last boss so they have a chance at some upgrades.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
:p

Filler Post:
Death's Verdict dropped tonight in a ToC25man pug.
I rolled a 9. :(
Better than that time I rolled a winning 85, but didn't get it because I took some belt for offspec earlier in the run

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Deputy Moonman said:
The term, "getting carried" has become a cliche, and a lot of the idiots have latched onto it. It's most annoying. Someone is always going to be doing better dps than someone else, so technically, everyone is always getting carried by the top dps. When I run heroics on my prot warrior and am doing more damage/dps than 2-3 dps in the group, I don't really care. If anything I feel great. It usually means I'm running with someone new to the game or someone that is trying out a new class, and it motivates me to get them to the last boss so they have a chance at some upgrades.

There's a difference between 500dps and 3,000dps.

If someone is the same class and spec as you with similar gear (aka people in your guild) and they are doing a considerable amount less damage than you are, you are getting carried.

Trust me, we can see it in our 10 mans. One group this week one shotted everything including Putricide for our first kill, and the other group had trouble on rotface. These are the same people that have gone to the same amount of 25 raids as the other group.

Lumine

Yeah, as someone who is geared in totc25/hc gear you can expect to be top dps pretty much every time you use the dungeon finder tool. It's a bit wierd and troubling when you see people in full i232+ gear doing only half the dps of someone who just hit 80 and is still in blues, but whatever. I don't really care, I can "carry" enough DPS by myself so I just leave these people be. I'd rather just enjoy myself and finish the instance quickly and get my badges than stand around bitching towards these people. Unless of course it's the tank, can't really carry a tank as dps. :p

Anyway, I'm wondering how long I should hold on to my 2pc t9,5 bonus on my ret pally. I already got rid of the 4pc bonus, but it wasn't really that good anyway. I got a decent helmet from icc10 which will give me about 20str more, but I doubt 20str is worth more than the 2pc bonus. Anyone know how much the bonus is worth and should I try to keep it until I got 4pc t10 or just drop it from more str earlier on?

Giard

WoW instance noob here, I wanted to get some add-ons for helping me out. I'm an affliction warlock. I got DoTtimer which is quite useful, and I'd love to get something that indicates my threat level and DPS totals for everyone in the raid.

What add-ons should I get? I tried out Bartender but it's really not what I was looking for and customizing it seems complicated.

Tamanon

Banned
Giard said:
WoW instance noob here, I wanted to get some add-ons for helping me out. I'm an affliction warlock. I got DoTtimer which is quite useful, and I'd love to get something that indicates my threat level and DPS totals for everyone in the raid.

What add-ons should I get? I tried out Bartender but it's really not what I was looking for and customizing it seems complicated.

Threat you can use the in-game UI or you can just download Omen.

For DPS meters, either Skada or Recount are easy to use.

Giard

Tamanon said:
Threat you can use the in-game UI or you can just download Omen.

For DPS meters, either Skada or Recount are easy to use.

Where is threat in the default in-game UI? Do you have to activate it somewhere?
I'll check out your recommendations, thanks.

Dunlop

The leveling in this game is insane, only playing at night when the wife and kids are down and I am lvl 65.5 (I was 60 on monday), flying mounts with quest helper almost feels like cheating :D

That said, I have done squat for my preofessions. I am like 250 (or whatever the max was in Vanilla wow) engineering(PVP back then) and 75 enchanting. I might keep enchanting and have my alt that I lvl with my buddy send greens, but figure engineering has got to go.

I don't really plan on looking for a guild until mid to late 70's. Any recommendations on what professions that are easy to lvl and might actually make me some coin?

Warhammer spoiled me with how stupid easy it was to lvl any profession, you could max any profession in a matter of hours with addons

mclem

Giard said:
Where is threat in the default in-game UI? Do you have to activate it somewhere?
I'll check out your recommendations, thanks.

Threat's imprecise in the in-game UI; it's in the form of "red glow around portrait: you have aggro" "yellow glow around portrait: You're close to getting aggro" "No glow around portrait: you're fine". Omen's better if you actually need numbers.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Killed 10 man Putricide last night, we one shot it after taking a break from Tuesday after using 6 attempts. :lol We actually didn't even have our usual group, we had to bring in a random frost mage because our survival hunter couldn't make it.

mclem said:
Threat's imprecise in the in-game UI; it's in the form of "red glow around portrait: you have aggro" "yellow glow around portrait: You're close to getting aggro" "No glow around portrait: you're fine". Omen's better if you actually need numbers.
If you hover over a mob you can also see your threat as a percentage. It isn't as precise as Omen, true, but it still works without using any addon memory up.

mclem

Orbitcube said:
If you hover over a mob you can also see your threat as a percentage. It isn't as precise as Omen, true, but it still works without using any addon memory up.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Of course, mine is generally 100% *anyway*...

hobart

Just an FYI about hacking..

Seems as if there is some other malicious forms of hacking going on involving blizzard spoofed emails you could be receiving. I got 2 just last week... claiming that I had changed information on my profile... and that I had changed my password. Both were untrue. In the email (which looks official) they give a link that you click in order to make sure the info you "changed" has been done so properly.

These emails look extremely professional and mimic, precisely, ones that are sent from blizzard.

Just to be sure nothing was wrong with my account... I logged in VIA THE WEBSITE... and checked and double checked all my information. Also note... I have an authenticator as well! Some really aggressive hacking seems to be occurring.

Personally.. I sent the emails to blizzard so they can take a look at it. I do not feel as if the Authenticators are a way of making extra money. They make it available for free to all iPhone users... I believe a Droid app is in the works... and they make the actual device as cheap as they possibly can.

I attribute the recent surge in hacking to a couple things:

1. The B.net account merge. Blizzard will have you believe this has nothing to do with it... but it's more than just a coincidence that a new flood of hacking pops up only a month after the merge is mandatory.

2. Gold abundance. With gold being so easy to farm... myriads upon myriads of foreign gold farming companies are seeing their profits drop. In a word... they are becoming extinct. Do I necessarily equate gold sellers with hackers.... no not really. But... would I be surprised if some of these guys have gotten a little antsy of late... of course not.

Protect yourselves, guys. Get an authenticator and only log into your account from the WEBSITE. Not from ANY email.

Belfast said:
Oh indeed. When talking about raids, you need to demand performance. But lay off the noobs in the dungeon finder.

I'm running an addon called Elitist Group that informs me of crappy people in my randoms. I have no problem with low DPS, but when that low DPS is coupled with tons of spell penetration and green gems I get grumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom