• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:
Except you can fly in Outlands at 60 and it would take three times as long to do 60-68 if you don't buy one then. It's only like 300g for regular flight + mount.

yeah, I purchased one right away when I resubbed, I had about 400g on the toon.

That and Quest helper makes grinding out quests very very fast....

It pains me to be back on my horse, I want to change my race from UD chick to BE male, it will then pain me to be riding a colorful bird :D

I love my UD racial but I cannot cope with looking at ripped up gear, why can't we wear full clothing?!? :D

Flib

Angry Grimace said:
Except you can fly in Outlands at 60 and it would take three times as long to do 60-68 if you don't buy one then. It's only like 300g for regular flight + mount.

He is in Northrend already, that's why I didn't mention it. I know you can do that, I just got my druid to Outland over the last few weeks. Also hence why I had mentioned 1000 (cold weather) + 300 (basic flying and mount).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
funkmastergeneral said:
Money is absurdly easy to come across. I have epic flying on 4 toons, and my entire money making scheme is transmuting 1 gem, an icy prism, and a dragon's eye every day.

You should see one guy in my guild. He has over 200k gold, and is sitting on a mountain of epic gems that he'll be unloading on AH shortly. It's disgusting. I get the impression that Blizzard will just continue shifting towards rep rewards as a pseudo-currency / time sink, as opposed to gold since it still keeps players active, while helping to marginalize gold farmers.

Magnus

Angry Grimace said:
I'm not sure I understand how Discipline has thoroughput, flexibility or mobility issues at all. The only one that I even slightly understand is B&S's benefit, which is pretty situational.

I mentioned that it didn't provide the throughput that 'I want' -- I'm an aoe healer at heart. I'm good at topping everyone very quickly with Holy's amazing frontloaded AOE capabilities (CoH, stronger ProMs, serendipity'd PoH, etc) -- I feel so naked and lacking as Disc. Bubbling everyone one by one feels like I'm dragging my legs. Penance is really nice, but being forced to stand still for it is somewhat penalizing on a fight like Princes.

As for mobility; it's kind of black and white. B&S, Surge of Light, CoH, more frequent ProMs, and more powerful renews win, imo.

Flexibility for me is the ability to transition well from single target healing (the amazing GS Glyph, Serendipity'd GH, stronger renews) to aoe (massive list).

B&S is situational, but...how can I put this. The situations where it's useful keep coming up again, and again, and again in almost every boss fight. It's so outstanding.

I can definitely appreciate how unique Disc is; it's definitely found its nice, which is awesome. Any fight that has predictable raid damage benefits from bubble spam to smooth everything out. And hell, even ones with random spike damage like Razorscale when it first debuted benefited from the cushions of bubbles. The damn spec just needs a way to get a bunch of bubbles up at once -- the fabled PW: Barrier would do the trick.

Got the Blood Princes down last night. We wiped many times initially with our warlock on Keleseth; he was taking too much damage and losing aggro on the dark nucleai. Each try ended with them at 70% or so health Finally I got to tank Keleseth (prot warrior) and we got him to 40% before we got owned by a kinetic bomb. After a couple more tries we got him down.

Tried Lanathel after that. Had some bad introductory wipes before getting her near 60% on the fourth try. Then we called it since it was pretty late. Another fight that seems like a pain in the ass for healers as us tanks sit back and faceroll. I kinda feel sorry for them

Entropia

No One Remembers
Tanks literally do nothing that fight except like move her into position after she lands. :lol

Fun fight for DPS though!!

Entropia said:
Tanks literally do nothing that fight except like move her into position after she lands. :lol

Fun fight for DPS though!!

Yup lol. Even when players got the dmg buff, it wasn't like say Hodir where dps threat could go through the roof. The fight is more boring for tanks than Saurfang.

Although, we went into the fight thinking tanks had to switch due to the bleed effect. That caused some confusion, but then we found out the bleed stays on the OT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
PhoenixDark said:
Yup lol. Even when players got the dmg buff, it wasn't like say Hodir where dps threat could go through the roof. The fight is more boring for tanks than Saurfang.

Although, we went into the fight thinking tanks had to switch due to the bleed effect. That caused some confusion, but then we found out the bleed stays on the OT.
My favorite is when not only can then not think of mechanics to make tanking interesting, but they can't even think of a mechanic to make you have more than one tank; so it always ends up that Tank A ends up with a "no more tanking for 30-100 sec." debuff which calls for Tank B to taunt off and stand there spamming Shield Slam.

Edit: Playing my Warrior last night reminded me why I don't play my Warrior :lol

Cipherr

Angry Grimace said:
My favorite is when not only can then not think of mechanics to make tanking interesting, but they can't even think of a mechanic to make you have more than one tank; so it always ends up that Tank A ends up with a "no more tanking for 30-100 sec." debuff which calls for Tank B to taunt off and stand there spamming Shield Slam.

Edit: Playing my Warrior last night reminded me why I don't play my Warrior :lol

Wow.... the bolded is absolutely freaking true :lol I guess that is kind of a cop out non-creative way to make a 2nd tank needed. And TONS of fights have a mechanic like that, hilarious that I never noticed how overused that is. Maybe they are just creatively bankrupt in that area atm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Puncture said:
Wow.... the bolded is absolutely freaking true :lol I guess that is kind of a cop out non-creative way to make a 2nd tank needed. And TONS of fights have a mechanic like that, hilarious that I never noticed how overused that is. Maybe they are just creatively bankrupt in that area atm.
The other slightly less used, but equally creatively-bankrupt "you need more tanks" idea is where the boss has some kind of cleave/mirror of doom attack where Tank B takes a bunch of damage based on standing somewhere in Tank A's vicinity.

Sapphiron on Steroids Sindragosa looks like insane.

moojito

As a druid I'm not complaining about that tank swap mechanic on Festergut. I'm topping the damage meters more often than not on that fight! :D

ianswoody

29 emblems today. Been able to do heroics as both a healer and DPS. Definitely went through some rough patches with my inexperience, but I was fortunate enough to have mostly helpful groups and not too many crabbers. Got a couple epics doing a few ToC Reg runs as well. Things are looking better and GS is up to around 3k. :D

Angry Grimace said:
The other slightly less used, but equally creatively-bankrupt "you need more tanks" idea is where the boss has some kind of cleave/mirror of doom attack where Tank B takes a bunch of damage based on standing somewhere in Tank A's vicinity.

Sapphiron on Steroids Sindragosa looks like insane.
You're so cynical, Grim. Sometimes there are adds to deal with too!

Tamanon

Banned
Bah, couldn't down Rotty-10 tonight, got him to 11% on our best attempt, thought we had him too, survived the first explosion with no damage to anyone, all in great shape, then the kiter just randomly died out of nowhere at 20% and the big ooze just ganked one of our two healers.

Lumine

I got the Cryptmaker from blood princes 25 last night. I ended up trading it later to our fury warrior though. The upgrade was just too minor for me. It's only a great weapon for a ret pally if you're way under the hitcap and I'm way over. Shame, because it looks awesome and I hadn't seen anyone with it yet. Felt too guilty to keep it though. :(

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
After countless aborted tries, I finally got a druid up to level 20. I always got bored of bear form in the teens and gave up on the class in the past, but some friends kept telling me it gets much better after I get cat form. Here's to hoping I won't be disappointed!

Mr Nash said:
After countless aborted tries, I finally got a druid up to level 20. I always got bored of bear form in the teens and gave up on the class in the past, but some friends kept telling me it gets much better after I get cat form. Here's to hoping I won't be disappointed!

You won't. My last 80 to level was my druid and it was a blast from start to finish. It's definitely better once you hit 50 and get mangle, but even before then you'll disintegrate almost anything that gets in your way.

Rotface-10 down on our first try last night, must be luck or something.

We made a few tries on Putricide and the Blood Council but didn't really get anywhere.

I'm not sure I agree, some ppl wanted to see the new wing but I think we should pick 1 boss and stick with it.

Is a warlock tank needed for the council ? We had a hunter do it but he seemed to struggle. We don't really have an active lock raiding with us.

Dunlop

Mr Nash said:

mine is still stuck at 9, it's onlyhope is my buddy joins so I can get the 3x xp while leveling. Otherwise it is just too painful

Flib

Yeah, I'm focusing on the druid now (as I keep saying)...hated it so much, but I'm 65 now and love love love the class. They are pretty insane at soloing later on.

Angry Grimace

KernelPanic said:

We made a few tries on Putricide and the Blood Council but didn't really get anywhere.

I'm not sure I agree, some ppl wanted to see the new wing but I think we should pick 1 boss and stick with it.

Is a warlock tank needed for the council ? We had a hunter do it but he seemed to struggle. We don't really have an active lock raiding with us.
When Rotface starts going down quickly, it's a sign that whoever was fucking up (and not telling you it was them) figured out what was wrong. :lol

Angry Grimace said:
When Rotface starts going down quickly, it's a sign that whoever was fucking up (and not telling you it was them) figured out what was wrong. :lol

Or they got lucky and weren't Infected. I groan whenever certain people in my raid get infected because I know the merge won't be going smoothly.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
Or they got lucky and weren't Infected. I groan whenever certain people in my raid get infected because I know the merge won't be going smoothly.
Ironically, I got infected exactly once in last nights Rotface kill :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
damnit.

i got into a 5/12 10man icc and 3/12 25man icc guild..
and it's fixing to die.

they were running two 10 man groups up until this week. an un-guilded tank they relied on joined another guild. group A couldn't progress past 4 or 5/12 and group B was sitting around. i probably would have gotten into B. then they just started leaving one by one, including a co-gm.

looks like they could salvage one icc10 group at the very least.

but, the guild message says "i don't know what's going on. pst me if you know."

arhra

KernelPanic said:

We used a hunter this week, and it worked out fine after giving him a few attempts to get the hang of collecting nuclei. Actually worked better in some ways than the warlock we'd used last week, since he managed to build a much better threat lead between empowered phases (with the warlock last week, as ret i could dps for about 10s, then became almost entirely useless on Keleseth for the rest of the fight...).

Angry Grimace

KernelPanic said:

We do the same thing. Rotface is a boss that once you "get" it, most of your attempts will be successes unless you get really bad RNG, i.e. "ALL YOUR HEALERS ARE INFECTED LOL!"
We've moved on to Blood Council, because I didn't see the point of banging our heads on Putricide when the Blood Council is supposed to be easier by design.

One thing I'm really happy our guild has done in ICC is not compounding mistakes on completed content. There's nothing more infuriating than having to take forever because your group magically "forgot" how to do the earlier encounters you already downed. "wait, I'M supposed to kite those blood beasts lol?"

I'll have to see how we do Rotface next week :lol

Range tank seems to be our problem on the Council, either holding aggro or getting enough shadow resist to survive that empowered nuke he does. I suggested all he has to do is serpent sting enough nuclei, it seems he either gathered too many (and takes too much dmg) or not enough and he gets 1-shot.

Council seems more doable than Putricide. I though Rotface was a PITA but I really do not want to do Putricide for a while. Seems almost as much of a BS fight as Rotface.

FLEABttn

Banned
DeathNote said:
damnit.

i got into a 5/12 10man icc and 3/12 25man icc guild..
and it's fixing to die.

they were running two 10 man groups up until this week. an un-guilded tank they relied on joined another guild. group A couldn't progress past 4 or 5/12 and group B was sitting around. i probably would have gotten into B. then they just started leaving one by one, including a co-gm.

looks like they could salvage one icc10 group at the very least.

but, the guild message says "i don't know what's going on. pst me if you know."

I've gone through this. Twice. It's dead dude.

Dunlop

I'm a victim of buyers remorse, I think I should have just switched to a UD male.

The floppy ears and ridiculous bird mount of a Blood Elf will be my undoing :D

Thanks again for that build, I am completely unstoppable with it in dungeons, I put a point into spirit tap when I lvled so that helps a it when grinding, also I am a moron and had never really used shadow fiend which is pretty much a mana battey every 5 minutes

day by day I figure it out......

Man my guild is having a really rough time with 10man rotface.

We can one shot festergut, even with me missing 1 innoculate whilst tanking then spend 3 hours without killing rotface.

I'm the big slime tank and bar the odd incident its pretty straightforward, I've taken to just running thru the slime pipes because its much safer than double backing. My main issue is threat, dispeller gains threat on big slime too, need to use vigilence on them

But people with the debuff are running around like headless chickens at times. Tbh I think its probably dispels happening a bit too quickly but I'm not sure.

Our best attempt was 20% in 3 hours. It was that bad.

FLEABttn

Banned
MrPing1000 said:

We can one shot festergut, even with me missing 1 innoculate whilst tanking then spend 3 hours without killing rotface.

I'm the big slime tank and bar the odd incident its pretty straightforward, I've taken to just running thru the slime pipes because its much safer than double backing. My main issue is threat, dispeller gains threat on big slime too, need to use vigilence on them

But people with the debuff are running around like headless chickens at times. Tbh I think its probably dispels happening a bit too quickly but I'm not sure.

Do you mind if I ask what kind class you as a tank are?

Tamanon

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Do you mind if I ask what kind class you as a tank are?

Sounds like warrior from the vigilance reference.

And yeah, we're bashing our heads against the wall on Rotface, but seeing improvement. It's just a fight about everyone being able to kite and avoid spray, and to be able to do it for five minutes.:lol

Angry Grimace

MrPing1000 said:

A Warrior is a pretty poor choice for Slime kiter. You might consider popping Shield Block and tanking the big slime normally before he gets any angry poopoo charges, to just get a bigger threat lead.

Death Knights --> Paladins --> Druids --> Warriors imo (for slime tanking)

FLEABttn

Banned
Tamanon said:
Sounds like warrior from the vigilance reference.

Oh, missed that -_-

Yeah, there are better tanks than warriors for the slime. If your other tank is a DK or a Paladin, that should be who's tanking the slime. Dunno about druids, I've almost never dealt with tank versions of them.

What I found may be useful for Rotface is have people call for the cleanse rather than maker the healer try to guess when the best time for a cleanse is. If you get the injection, run somewhat outside the group, then call for the cleanse before you get to the ooze. This way it's timed properly.

Also, DBM isn't as obvious when it comes to letting people they have the injection. I'd suggest BigWigs if that's a problem. It turns your screen and turns it blue for a second if you get the injection.

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
Oh, missed that -_-

Yeah, there are better tanks than warriors for the slime. If your other tank is a DK or a Paladin, that should be who's tanking the slime. Dunno about druids, I've almost never dealt with tank versions of them.

What I found may be useful for Rotface is have people call for the cleanse rather than maker the healer try to guess when the best time for a cleanse is. If you get the injection, run somewhat outside the group, then call for the cleanse before you get to the ooze. This way it's timed properly.

Also, DBM isn't as obvious when it comes to letting people they have the injection. I'd suggest BigWigs if that's a problem. It turns your screen and turns it blue for a second if you get the injection.
I dunno. DBM makes the DRAMATIC! noise when you get the infection. You can always ctrl-S to turn game sounds off, which does not turn off DBMs sounds. The problem with calling for a cleanse is that the debuff itself does more damage than the ooze does and not cleansing it tends to be a pain.

The first 70% of Rotface isn't too difficult, it's the last 30% when there's 10 trillion oozes wandering around it gets tough. Which is why saving Bloodlust/Heroism until then works so well; because Heroism really helps the healers keep people up. The DPS benefit of Heroism is frequently overstated, but the overall raid benefit of having it during that part can't be overstated.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
MrPing1000 said:

That's hard to do, people need to react quickly and get out of the group fast and get dispelled ASAP. The debuff they get is much more damage if you start getting 2 people with it than if you dispell quickly. As long as they are running away from the group they should be dispelled. If they're a ranged I just dispell them as soon as they get it. The slime barely does any damage.

Angry Grimace said:
I dunno. DBM makes the DRAMATIC! noise when you get the infection. You can always ctrl-S to turn game sounds off, which does not turn off DBMs sounds. The problem with calling for a cleanse is that the debuff itself does more damage than the ooze does and not cleansing it tends to be a pain.

The first 70% of Rotface isn't too difficult, it's the last 30% when there's 10 trillion oozes wandering around it gets tough. Which is why saving Bloodlust/Heroism until then works so well; because Heroism really helps the healers keep people up. The DPS benefit of Heroism is frequently overstated, but the overall raid benefit of having it during that part can't be overstated.

I was under the impression that Rotface's injecting people at a faster pace was a function of time, not him hitting 30% health, so popping BL/Heroism at the beginning would be better.

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

I have no in game sounds on because it interferes with vent, DBM sounds included. So, I love visual clues.

The debuff hurts but if you cleanse it immediately and the person doesn't move quick enough, the raid damage does hurt a bit. Cleansing the injection about halfway between the persons start point and the big ooze is probably a good idea. If they die from injection because they're not moving quick enough, well, they gotta learn somehow.

Cipherr

We havent had trouble with the injections lately.

Im not sure if this is just an in guild urban legend, but they claim that every time the large ooze explodes and we all fan out, that the casting time of the injection is hasted by the boss. So on the first 3 or so injections, we wait a bit before merging them. Basically standing around a bit with the little ooze chomping at that persons heels until about 4 people have oozes, then they all collapse and usually there are 2 big oozes that absorb each other.

The healers claim that slows the hasting of the boss and allows us to kill him well before the injections are going out at a ridiculous pace.

I cant confirm that, honestly I think blizzard is smarter than that, I think our dps is just getting better as we know the fight now and thats why we are cleaning his clock reliably after a semi rocky start on the opening weeks.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
I was under the impression that Rotface's injecting people at a faster pace was a function of time, not him hitting 30% health, so popping BL/Heroism at the beginning would be better.
As far as I know, the injection rate increases over time regardless, but it reaches maximum rate at 30% regardless of how long you took. This at the very least, jives with what I'm seeing, which may or may not be totally wrong.

In reality, this is a "Why does Onyxia Deep Breath?" type of thing. Nobody can really agree on it, but the healing speed boost seems to really help. The fact is, in reality, Heroism's actual damage increasing function is exacerabated by the fact most classes hold onto their DPS cooldowns for it. Most DPS cooldowns can actually be used at the beginning and at a sub 30% heroism, since Blizzard has been eliminating a lot of the really long CDs (It's possible I'm missing some, since I only don't have a max level Shaman, Hunter, Mage or Warlock).

Tamanon

Banned
It's purely based on time, that's why most folks blow heroism after a couple infections. It's one of those fights that has a real subtle enrage timer, and where high dps guilds have no problem with the fight because they finish it before too much randomness can occur. If you're in a guild like mine where dps is lower and you approach enrage timers on other fights, then you're going to have a ton more trouble.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
It's purely based on time, that's why most folks blow heroism after a couple infections. It's one of those fights that has a real subtle enrage timer, and where high dps guilds have no problem with the fight because they finish it before too much randomness can occur. If you're in a guild like mine where dps is lower and you approach enrage timers on other fights, then you're going to have a ton more trouble.
We tend to do ours around 40% but I have a suspicion that it's not particularly relevant WHEN you use it if you totally understand what's going on.

We had a debate over whether it's just time or a specific number, but nobody could find anything definitive in either case, really. I always just assumed it was 30% but increasing in time anyways.

I don't really know what's considered "high DPS" for a 10m guild though.

Yaweee

Uh, I think Icehowl hitting a Nibelung valk causes him to enrage. Nobody died as far as the raid could see, but I had a Valk up and Icehowl enraged.

Tamanon

Banned
Yaweee said:
Uh, I think Icehowl hitting a Nibelung valk causes him to enrage. Nobody died as far as the raid could see, but I had a Valk up and Icehowl enraged.

They're treated as guardians, and it doesn't work that way for other Guardians or pets. Should be able to tell in the logs who he hits.

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
They're treated as guardians, and it doesn't work that way for other Guardians or pets. Should be able to tell in the logs who he hits.

I tried to check, but it was too late.

I know that they aren't like most guardians, in that they lack the regular AoE resistance (hence why they die all the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom