• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
Personally, i like this build :

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhVRIsffRtfxzc:mbAcM0

It's very good for healing 5 mans and even soloing aint so bad(though Shadow is still way better). Great talents for damage reduction and absorption. Nice crit chance and Penance is very good for healing heavy damage.

I have to drink maybe once or twice or maybe never, depending on how good the group is.

I definately see this being a much better build for the dungeon runs, there is a noticable loss of DPS/mana usage compared to my other build but nothing that is game breaking.

I created some macros using my +spellpower trinkets when they they are up before casting Holy fire or smite to bring up the dps a bit. Outside of end game raiding, I generally to do not normally like to automate abilites as people tend to use macros as a crutch too much, but as those skills are for mindlessly killing mobs, its OK :D

This also stems back from my WOW days when decursive was a single button press and we would do 5 hour MC runs, the role of a healer was "whack a mole" on the 40 names to keep their health up and spam decursive. I was fully geared on my priest by the end but could not tell you what the instance looked like until I went in on my Warlock.

Penance seems to be a freaking awesome spell. Can't wait to test it out in a dungeon tonight.

mclem

Dunlop said:
Penance seems to be a freaking awesome spell. Can't wait to test it out in a dungeon tonight.

Protip from our guild priest:
make sure the target isn't mind controlled

She's killed people from time to time on Lady Deathwhisper...

FLEABttn

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Still no saronite cloak. Starting to really piss me off.

They still need to really tune some of these fights in here on 10-man. They need to get strict 10-man guilds to run stuff in PTR's to figure out damage tuning. They still didn't fix the slimes from Rotface yet as well.

Rotface won't get fixed until a client patch, and maybe not even the one next week.

That fight is weird though. Spent 6 attempts the first weekend and didn't kill it, 10ish attempts the next week and barely killed it, and one shot it the week after with like 2 deaths.

Hate raiding Tuesday nights. Due to lag we couldn't even kill Rotface or Festergut last night thanks to it taking like 2-3 seconds for the game to register any button pressing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Still no saronite cloak. Starting to really piss me off.

They still need to really tune some of these fights in here on 10-man. They need to get strict 10-man guilds to run stuff in PTR's to figure out damage tuning. They still didn't fix the slimes from Rotface yet as well.
We got a second one yesterday :lol

We blew through ICC10 with me tanking on my pally for the first time, easy to tank so far. Got the tank wep ... and a saronite cloak for offspec.

One shot everything until Rotface and then it all fell apart. So we went to bed and we'll be back at it thursday.

I'm gonna raise a stink tonight, ppl are still running the little oozes through the raid, no one believes me that they have an aura which damages everyone in 10 yards every few seconds.

We've killed him before but it seems to come down to luck in the last 30% or so. We can get him down to 15-30ish easy every time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Well, you don't need to buy epic flying until 77 along with cold weather flying which totals 6,000 gold. That's doable with 60-77 quests alone IIRC. Higher level northrend zones require flying and you're going to be sick of the dinky 225 flying.

So, if you have 1,000 gold now and aren't using it to play the auction house I'd just go ahead and get dual spec. Otherwise, the 1kg is essentially going to be sitting around doing nothing.

If you aren't power leveling and you're running dungeons along the way, it's help you learn your class better as a dps and tank.
For the record, you don't need to buy epic flying at all. It's faster than normal flying, but normal flying is no longer excruciatingly slow.

KernelPanic said:
I'm gonna raise a stink tonight, ppl are still running the little oozes through the raid, no one believes me that they have an aura which damages everyone in 10 yards every few seconds.

We've killed him before but it seems to come down to luck in the last 30% or so. We can get him down to 15-30ish easy every time.

How stupid are they? Link them to this spell

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=69750

If they don't believe you after that, they're on the stupidity level of creationists.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
How stupid are they? Link them to this spell

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=69750

If they don't believe you after that, they're on the stupidity level of creationists.
The stupidest are people that think they can just run behind the tank and catch up to him to merge the oozes. It's literally better to just have everyone run in the opposite direction.

For the record, the pulsing AoE dmg aura is what triggers the small oozes to merge with the big ooze. (at least this is what I'm guessing based on how it's working)

Angry Grimace

When do we get our Frosty Sacks of Treasure? Next week?

(there are weekly ICC quests that reward a "Frost Sack of Treasure", but none of them are in game yet.)

Hopefully, a nice 10 Frost Badge reward, i.e. the Sack of Spoils?

Angry Grimace said:
When do we get our Frosty Sacks of Treasure? Next week?

(there are weekly ICC quests that reward a "Frost Sack of Treasure", but none of them are in game yet.)

Hopefully, a nice 10 Frost Badge reward, i.e. the Sack of Spoils?

I don't think there is any information on when we get the bags, or what's going to be in them. I'd hope for at least a bunch of Frost Badges, gems would be nice too. Or a primordial saronite on rare occasion or boe epic.

My mage is now level 56 which is exciting. Did hit my first major snag when I realised that most of the mobs in Winterspring have massive frost resistance, so I moved to Burning Steppes where they shatter when I sneeze on them.

The lower level LFG has lead to some funny moments. A hunter ninjaed Rod of Corrosion the other day and then dropped the group. I had a mad stress attack about it in guild and everyone laughed at me. Eventually, I laughed at me too :lol

KernelPanic said:

We've seen a fair few 15% wipes but still haven't got him down. I think you're right about the randomness being the biggest factor tbh, it just seems like everything is working out great until he starts, for example, infecting each of the healers in a rotation so we never get a chance to settle down again and recover. Annoying.

jim-jam bongs said:
We've seen a fair few 15% wipes but still haven't got him down. I think you're right about the randomness being the biggest factor tbh, it just seems like everything is working out great until he starts, for example, infecting each of the healers in a rotation so we never get a chance to settle down again and recover. Annoying.

My thinking is with the sloppy ooze kiting people are taking more damage than they should be. The healers already have their work cut out for them at that point and if you have people taking extra damage from several ooze auras ... well then. We've had all our healers hit many times, and sometimes the same healer back to back. You're effectively losing a healer at that point.

The ooze merging has to be done clean and quick and we could definately be better at it. I'm not sure if its worth having people call out for the injection to be cleansed, we generally wait a few seconds to do it unless someone is about to die. A few times the slimes just don't want to merge for whatever reason which costs us time. I've seen 2 big slimes a few times as well which shouldn't happen.

We've beaten him once and I honestly don't know what we did differently that night, which has me thinking luck plays too much a role in that fight.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

fml... That's still my weakest piece of gear is that 219 cloak i have. It'll haunt me forever. I don't want to burn my emblems on that one cloak either.

ianswoody

Dinged 80 this morning! Feels good to finally be capped. Now to focus on raiding, sort of. What's the natural progression for getting better gear? I did a Halls of Stone run this morning, but didn't catch any upgrades. Should I keep doing Ulduar 5-mans until I feel I'm better and then hit Utgarde Pinnacle? Or do I start doing random dungeon heroics? Sorry if I'm coming off as ignorant, but this is my first brush with end-game.

Edit: Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Rynaux

Tamanon

Banned
ianswoody said:
Dinged 80 this morning! Feels good to finally be capped. Now to focus on raiding, sort of. What's the natural progression for getting better gear? I did a Halls of Stone run this morning, but didn't catch any upgrades. Should I keep doing Ulduar 5-mans until I feel I'm better and then hit Utgarde Pinnacle? Or do I start doing random dungeon heroics? Sorry if I'm coming off as ignorant, but this is my first brush with end-game.

Edit: Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Rynaux

It's time to abuse the hell out of randoms! Need those badges.

FLEABttn

Banned
ianswoody said:

Just keep queuing up for random heroics. Buy t9 with the badges you get first, then buy older badge items to fill slots. Once you've gone about as far as badge gear can take you, go for ToC for your first raid, work your way into ICC eventually. Naxx and Ulduar are mostly skipped now so don't even bother unless you really want to see them.

Flib

ianswoody said:

If you're worried about your gear not being good enough for heroics (though you should be fine as you'll get carried through, though I would go as balance instead of resto with that gear), queue up for the new Icecrown 5mans on regular mode. All three drop lvl219 items.

KernelPanic said:
My thinking is with the sloppy ooze kiting people are taking more damage than they should be. The healers already have their work cut out for them at that point and if you have people taking extra damage from several ooze auras ... well then. We've had all our healers hit many times, and sometimes the same healer back to back. You're effectively losing a healer at that point.

The ooze merging has to be done clean and quick and we could definately be better at it. I'm not sure if its worth having people call out for the injection to be cleansed, we generally wait a few seconds to do it unless someone is about to die. A few times the slimes just don't want to merge for whatever reason which costs us time. I've seen 2 big slimes a few times as well which shouldn't happen.

We've beaten him once and I honestly don't know what we did differently that night, which has me thinking luck plays too much a role in that fight.

So far we've used a Paladin to tank the ooze because they can cleanse the infected person themselves when they're good and ready to pick up the little guy. It works pretty well except she sometimes has lag problems and ends up getting melted in the pools of slime. But yeah, I look at our best attempts and our worst and I can't see a damned thing we could do to improve the outcome and that pisses me off.

ianswoody

Yeah, I figured I would have to start doing heroics as DPS since I'll more than likely need to get carried. Should I worry about switching talent builds yet or should I wait until I start into the serious raiding?

ianswoody said:
Yeah, I figured I would have to start doing heroics as DPS since I'll more than likely need to get carried. Should I worry about switching talent builds yet or should I wait until I start into the serious raiding?

Do randoms as a healer not DPS, as long as people don't die every pull your inexperience will slip under the radar more easily and your queue times will be shorter. DPS like to wave their dicks around so they'll be more likely to call you out if yours is shorter. Also, the LFG tool will automatically assess your gear and take a guess at what it should queue you for so you don't have to worry too much about it.

ianswoody said:

If you're going to start healing make sure to run around a lot and jump while you do so, since you're a druid.

Tamanon

Banned
Jumping around is the only way to be entertained or even interested while druid healing heroics

Rejuv/Wild Growth occasionally, yawn.

And I can't believe I've played this long without knowing you can get your shoes shined in Dalaran, neat!

Angry Grimace

KernelPanic said:

It really depends on how reliable your raid members are at not running around like chickens with their heads cut off if you do quick dispels or wait on them. The debuff from the Infection is pretty extreme, in reality. Without a disc priest, having Mutating Infection will cause you to die pretty fast.

The luck factor is that a healer getting MI can cause you relatively instant death, whereas getting it on the OT himself a bunch of times makes it easy. The problem I have is when people literally don't even know they have an infection and they just stand there, and then when they finally do notice, run across the raid and try to "catch up" to the tank, instead of just waiting around a quarter of the room ahead for the tank to catch up to them.

jim-jam bongs said:
So far we've used a Paladin to tank the ooze because they can cleanse the infected person themselves when they're good and ready to pick up the little guy. It works pretty well except she sometimes has lag problems and ends up getting melted in the pools of slime. But yeah, I look at our best attempts and our worst and I can't see a damned thing we could do to improve the outcome and that pisses me off.
Our OT got the idea it would be "helpful" to run around the slime pools so that DPS wouldn't get confused as to where to go. :lol Except that brings Big Ooze right next to the raid.

Hand of Freedom FTW (although you can run faster than the Big Ooze regardless)

arhra

Tamanon said:
Jumping around is the only way to be entertained or even interested while druid healing heroics
My guild leader goes bearform and charges ahead to pull packs back to me when he's healing me in the original LK heroics.

When I get bored healing heroics on either my druid or my priest I just declare a DPS war against the tank and start using hurricane or holy nova on the trash.

Dunlop

While I am losing quite a bit of DPS and mana efficiency when grinding mobs with that new build, holy shit is it better in dungeon runs.

Penance feels like im cheating :D

Cipherr

Angry Grimace said:

New guild Im in got yet another Trinket from Saurfang tonight. Its dropped for them every week since the instance opened. EVERY week, all the freaking dks hunters and even some pally/shaman have theirs, Im next. New to them, but theres just noone else left to give it to main spec.

Crazy, now watch it doesnt drop for weeks and weeks now.

Xabora

Puncture said:
New guild Im in got yet another Trinket from Saurfang tonight. Its dropped for them every week since the instance opened. EVERY week, all the freaking dks hunters and even some pally/shaman have theirs, Im next. New to them, but theres just noone else left to give it to main spec.

Crazy, now watch it doesnt drop for weeks and weeks now.
We had our first one drop. >_<

Angry Grimace

jim-jam bongs said:
When I get bored healing heroics on either my druid or my priest I just declare a DPS war against the tank and start using hurricane or holy nova on the trash.
Mind Sear imo

Magnus

God damn, hell of a difficulty spike going into the latest wing.

We can't kill Princes 10-man yet, it's pathetic. Best tries were both 5% wipes. Our shadow priest was tanking Keleseth due to the absence of a suitable lock.

We haven't killed Putricide either, but we only tried him briefly, and it seemed fairly simple. The only obstacle was our Abom tank couldn't quite figure out how to adequately slow down everything he was supposed to. Once that person nails that down, it'll be cake.

I also can't fall back in love with Disc. I occasionally spec back into it, and realize I can't near the throughput, flexibility or mobility I want, as compared to holy, even when I was solely responsible for keeping our shadow priest up through Keleseth the whole fight.

Body and Soul and the 1 min-CD GS are just too amazing.

Angry Grimace

Magnus said:
God damn, hell of a difficulty spike going into the latest wing.

We can't kill Princes 10-man yet, it's pathetic. Best tries were both 5% wipes. Our shadow priest was tanking Keleseth due to the absence of a suitable lock.

We haven't killed Putricide either, but we only tried him briefly, and it seemed fairly simple. The only obstacle was our Abom tank couldn't quite figure out how to adequately slow down everything he was supposed to. Once that person nails that down, it'll be cake.

I also can't fall back in love with Disc. I occasionally spec back into it, and realize I can't near the throughput, flexibility or mobility I want, as compared to holy, even when I was solely responsible for keeping our shadow priest up through Keleseth the whole fight.

Body and Soul and the 1 min-CD GS are just too amazing.
I'm not sure I understand how Discipline has thoroughput, flexibility or mobility issues at all. The only one that I even slightly understand is B&S's benefit, which is pretty situational.

Also, Fuck the Following Dungeons:

Heroic Halls of Reflection
Heroic Halls of Stone
Heroic Halls of Lightning
heroic Halls of Old Kingdom

border

What's the problem with Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning? The Brann zerg encounter in HoS used to be somewhat challenging, but with buffs to tanks and everyone being overgeared for everything it's not a problem. Halls of Lightning was never hard, aside from getting everyone to move out of the final boss's AoE.....but now that everyone is pulling 2-3K DPS you might as well just stand in it anyway.

Halls of Reflection is just ass because minor failures can completely sink you since you can't rez midway through the encounters.....Old Kingdom sucks because it's so utterly trash filled, but the extra badges from having 5 bosses kinda makes up for it.

Angry Grimace

border said:
What's the problem with Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning? The Brann zerg encounter in HoS used to be somewhat challenging, but with buffs to tanks and everyone being overgeared for everything it's not a problem. Halls of Lightning was never hard, aside from getting everyone to move out of the final boss's AoE.....but now that everyone is pulling 2-3K DPS you might as well just stand in it anyway.

Halls of Reflection is just ass because minor failures can completely sink you since you can't rez midway through the encounters.....Old Kingdom sucks because it's so utterly trash filled, but the extra badges from having 5 bosses kinda makes up for it.
It's not a matter of "challenge," they are just stupid and boring instances. Pretty much every 5 man is a chore at this point, those ones are just more chore-like than the others.

border

I think some of the more easily grind-able dungeons (DTK, Gundrak) have just spoiled some people. Anything that isn't 4 badges in under 20 minutes is considered a chore. HoL and HoS don't really seem that much worse that the Utgarde instances.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dunlop said:
While I am losing quite a bit of DPS and mana efficiency when grinding mobs with that new build, holy shit is it better in dungeon runs.

Penance feels like im cheating :D

Yeah, my build is strictly for dungeons only. It's not made for solo questing.

That's why i've got dual spec with Shadow. :D

moojito

I wonder how Bliz intend to combine the "less reliance on aoe" thing with the push towards making instances quicker we're seeing. Maybe some more toc-5 type instances?

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
Yeah, my build is strictly for dungeons only. It's not made for solo questing.

That's why i've got dual spec with Shadow. :D

800g to go and currently my highest profession is at like 80 so it will be a long time to raise that cash....

I ran 3 runs last night, the spec is crazy good. It's the loss of my DPS talents and swapping out my Smite Glyph for Penance that hurts on the solo questing side. I've made a maccro to use either spellpower trinket and/or inner fire when I use smite or Holy fire, helps a bit, I need to figure out a better attack sequence.

on that note 2 groups fizzled because of people arguing over loot drops, seriously wtf they are blue drops. You can run a dungeon by simply clicking a button and you will outgrow the item within weeks. These people were really freaking out.

I need to figure out how much xp I make per dungeon vs the time to solo grind and see which is more worthwhile. For now the dungeons are new and I need gear so I will stick with that route, once I burn out maybe I'll play with shadow for a bit

Bisnic

Dunlop said:
800g to go and currently my highest profession is at like 80 so it will be a long time to raise that cash....

That's why i love having 2 gathering professions for a new character on a realm where i have no 80.

Herbalism + Skinning since lvl 5 = Now sitting at 4000g at lvl 75 AND with dual spec already. :lol

Flib

Dunlop said:

I ran 3 runs last night, the spec is crazy good. It's the loss of my DPS talents and swapping out my Smite Glyph for Penance that hurts on the solo questing side. I've made a maccro to use either spellpower trinket and/or inner fire when I use smite or Holy fire, helps a bit, I need to figure out a better attack sequence.

on that note 2 groups fizzled because of people arguing over loot drops, seriously wtf they are blue drops. You can run a dungeon by simply clicking a button and you will outgrow the item within weeks. These people were really freaking out.

I need to figure out how much xp I make per dungeon vs the time to solo grind and see which is more worthwhile. For now the dungeons are new and I need gear so I will stick with that route, once I burn out maybe I'll play with shadow for a bit

You make a ton of money questing in Northrend, fyi. Like, thousands of gold.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
That's why i love having 2 gathering professions for a new character on a realm where i have no 80.

Herbalism + Skinning since lvl 5 = Now sitting at 4000g at lvl 75 AND with dual spec already. :lol

My buddy never ended up joining, I had planned to use gathering professions on that toon. Now I am still in the "wow" phase of uh... WOW so I would rather lvl my main :D

I also wasted a lot of money when I first started enchanting my gear only to have it replaced a day later (I did not expect the lvl progression in TBC) and am currently on my 4th respec

As long as the dungeons keep popping as fast as they do (because I am a healer I assume), I'm still content.

You make a ton of money questing in Northrend, fyi. Like, thousands of gold.

Good to know, I believe at some point a flying mount is manditory and like 6k?

Bisnic

Dunlop said:
My buddy never ended up joining, I had planned to use gathering professions on that toon. Now I am still in the "wow" phase of uh... WOW so I would rather lvl my main :D

I also wasted a lot of money when I first started enchanting my gear only to have it replaced a day later (I did not expect the lvl progression in TBC) and am currently on my 4th respec

As long as the dungeons keep popping as fast as they do (because I am a healer I assume), I'm still content.

You don't really need to pay 5k gold to fly in Northrend. That's only IF you wanna fly at the fastest speed. Otherwise, it's just 1k.

yacobod

Banned
border said:
I think some of the more easily grind-able dungeons (DTK, Gundrak) have just spoiled some people. Anything that isn't 4 badges in under 20 minutes is considered a chore. HoL and HoS don't really seem that much worse that the Utgarde instances.

all of them are pretty grindable if you have a good tank and healer, just chain pull the place

if the dps sucks, then its another story

Flib

Dunlop said:

It cannot be stressed how much you need to get a flying mount, though you have until level 77 to raise the 1300 gold you'll need for flight training, a mount and cold-weather flying.

I still don't have epic flying on any of my toons :lol

I just can't bring myself to farm for money, it's so boring. Raids and doing my heroic daily is about all the time I have.

KernelPanic said:
I still don't have epic flying on any of my toons :lol

I just can't bring myself to farm for money, it's so boring. Raids and doing my heroic daily is about all the time I have.

Money is absurdly easy to come across. I have epic flying on 4 toons, and my entire money making scheme is transmuting 1 gem, an icy prism, and a dragon's eye every day.

funkmastergeneral said:
Money is absurdly easy to come across. I have epic flying on 4 toons, and my entire money making scheme is transmuting 1 gem, an icy prism, and a dragon's eye every day.

I only have an herbalist/inscription, mining/BS and leatherworking/skinning.

Can't really think of a scheme beyond racing for nodes in Sholozar.

KernelPanic said:
I only have an herbalist/inscription, mining/BS and leatherworking/skinning.

Can't really think of a scheme beyond racing for nodes in Sholozar.

The only good moneymaker you have there is Inscription, and that requires a lot of knowledge of your server's glyph market, and a good time commitment, to make anything.

Angry Grimace

Flib said:
It cannot be stressed how much you need to get a flying mount, though you have until level 77 to raise the 1300 gold you'll need for flight training, a mount and cold-weather flying.
Except you can fly in Outlands at 60 and it would take three times as long to do 60-68 if you don't buy one then. It's only like 300g for regular flight + mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom