• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
jim-jam bongs said:
:lol

I can understand a lot of the dungeon nerfs that they've made but does Nexus really need to be made any easier? Maybe they want more people to get the achievement there or something but it's already pretty easy with strong heals.

Nothing to do with making it easier, just makes it faster.

moojito

PhoenixDark said:
I want to kite the adds on Rotface next time we try it. Doesn't seem hard, but it looks more interesting than standing still on boss.

I don't know how other classes do it, but for a druid it's not that easy. After a while you can get away with just spamming feral faerie fire on it, but right at the start you have some problems with healing threat and have to make sure you land your FFF after the taunt and not before it otherwise the healers are in trouble.

If you're a warrior, I hope you have your ranged skill up!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
jim-jam bongs said:

I can understand a lot of the dungeon nerfs that they've made but does Nexus really need to be made any easier? Maybe they want more people to get the achievement there or something but it's already pretty easy with strong heals.

Reducing the number of rifts wont really make it easier. Just faster. Killing 4 rifts because it makes the boss immune was more of an annoyance than a challenge.

moojito

Yes, all of these dungeon changes are very welcome. I would have preferred just one madness phase from the end boss in Old Kingdom as well.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Yours don't reset on Saturday?

I'm not sure what's up with it, but on our server, everyone's weekly gets reset on Saturday morning, so you get a lot of spam for 25m versions of various raids by then (since obviously, you can't do it twice on one mode).

It doesn't *always* do this though, so perhaps it's a bug?

They hotfixed that, originally it was set up on a 4-day reset from when you completed it, like the Wintergrasp weeklies. So if you completed it on Tuesday or Wednesday it reappeared.

yacobod

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Not to mention the fact that I have my doubts what he's talking about is a "PUG" at all. It sounds like you're just organizing it with say 8 people from high-end guilds and filling in like 2 slots with someone's alt from another high end guild. That's not what "puggable" means. Puggable implies a bunch of random people who don't know each other can down it.

when i say pug i mean a raid that is typically filled up with people from someone spamming /1 or /2 to fill up the raid, its about as true a pug as you can get

and i did a 25m icc pug yesterday afternoon/night, and we downed 5 bosses 1 shot before the raid disbanded after 1 or 2 wipes on fester, mostly because some healers had to leave to raid or whatever, and mind you this is a day before reset, so most ppl are already locked at this point, and it was lower geared people than the typical spam pug on illidan requiring 5.4-5.5k gearscore +, most ppl were like 5-5.3k on this run, i dont doubt the pugs earlier in the week can down 7 or 8 in 25m, and i can most certainly guarantee the Blood Legion hosted 25m pugs do

there is a big difference in quality of servers, i've played on low pop, medium, and high pop servers, i'd recommend to anyone looking to get the most out of the game to xfer to a high pop server, its a night and day difference, i think like Mal'ganis and Illidan are locked for xfers at the moment, but i wouldnt hesitate to recommend to someone to switch to one of the betters servers

Bisnic

yacobod said:
when i say pug i mean a raid that is typically filled up with people from someone spamming /1 or /2 to fill up the raid, its about as true a pug as you can get

and i did a 25m icc pug yesterday afternoon/night, and we downed 5 bosses 1 shot before the raid disbanded after 1 or 2 wipes on fester, mostly because some healers had to leave to raid or whatever, and mind you this is a day before reset, so most ppl are already locked at this point, and it was lower geared people than the typical spam pug on illidan requiring 5.4-5.5k gearscore +, most ppl were like 5-5.3k on this run, i dont doubt the pugs earlier in the week can down 7 or 8 in 25m, and i can most certainly guarantee the Blood Legion hosted 25m pugs do

there is a big difference in quality of servers, i've played on low pop, medium, and high pop servers, i'd recommend to anyone looking to get the most out of the game to xfer to a high pop server, its a night and day difference, i think like Mal'ganis and Illidan are locked for xfers at the moment, but i wouldnt hesitate to recommend to someone to switch to one of the betters servers

Yeah i've got 2 Alliance lvl 80 on the medium pop server Eredar(it even feels low pop sometimes) and i really dont see a lot of pug raids being spammed in trade channel compared to horde Area 52 where my lvl 74 priest is, which is really high pop and god... there is so many pug raids looking for people when im in a major town. I'm THAT close to transfer my mage over there, even if it cost me 55$. He have a gearscore of nearly 5.3K, so i put a lot of effort into it. :(

I think the last time i pug raided with my draenei mage was before the holidays in december. =/ Since then, i'm only doing the heroic daily once a day and maybe the weekly raid if i see it in trade channel while waiting for the heroic to show up(which takes like 3 mins, so good luck seeing a pug raid for the weekly quest) before going back to my horde priest.

mclem

FLEABttn said:
What? Priest leveling is like cancer infected AIDS. Almost nobody has more downtime than them. I'm surprised any are 80 because I would literally rather hit my dick with a hammer.
Our guild priest officer likes priests a bit too much. She's levelled four, I believe, so far.

Dunlop

wow, I have never left a group before and last night I bailed on 2. Both times I mentioned many many times to wait for me to get mana back. I keep getting in UK with lvl 69 undergear tanks that literally pull the damn floor and survive because I am getting lucky with my crits and depleting me after each fucking encounter.

The last group I ditched, I literally left the tank at about 30% health, I had about 5% mana started to drink and he went around the corner and pulled 2 fucking dragons because it is too hard to wait the 8 secs for me to drink.

I hate pompus healers who try to dictate rules to the group but holy fuck.

I'm rolling a DPS class

Bisnic

Dunlop said:
wow, I have never left a group before and last night I bailed on 2. Both times I mentioned many many times to wait for me to get mana back. I keep getting in UK with lvl 69 undergear tanks that literally pull the damn floor and survive because I am getting lucky with my crits and depleting me after each fucking encounter.

The last group I ditched, I literally left the tank at about 30% health, I had about 5% mana started to drink and he went around the corner and pulled 2 fucking dragons because it is too hard to wait the 8 secs for me to drink.

I hate pompus healers who try to dictate rules to the group but holy fuck.

I'm rolling a DPS class

I had a very similar experience when my priest was lvl 68-70 and only getting UK. Tanks actually need some defense in the WOTLK dungeons, they cant just tank in DPS gear like they did from 15 to 68. But it seems very few of them even know that. Or they think tanking regular UK with green DPS gear is the same as tanking heroic UK in T9 tank gear with a T9 healer where you can actually chain pull without too much trouble. -_-

It's not as bad later when they actually got some tank gear from the quests and dungeons at least... my priest is 74 and i get less dumbass undergeared tanks than when i was 68.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
I had a very similar experience when my priest was lvl 68-70 and only getting UK. Tanks actually need some defense in the WOTLK dungeons, they cant just tank in DPS gear like they did from 15 to 68. But it seems very few of them even know that. Or they think tanking regular UK with green DPS gear is the same as tanking heroic UK in T9 tank gear with a T9 healer where you can actually chain pull without too much trouble. -_-

It's not as bad later when they actually got some tank gear from the quests and dungeons at least... my priest is 74 and i get less dumbass undergeared tanks than when i was 68.

yeah, I notice the difficulty curve went up a few notches between BC and WOTLK for which I am thankful. I enjoy the difficulty of keeping the schmuck alive, it the blatent ignoring when requesting people wait 10 seconds to let me drink because my mana is 20%. If I do not drink we will wipe, period.

Hopefully last night was a fluck, I've had a couple of great UK runs with good tanks. I just can't figure out how people got to that level and still do not check the state of the party before pulling, I dont mean a rdycheck each pull, just look at the general health/mana status.

Flib

Dunlop said:
yeah, I notice the difficulty curve went up a few notches between BC and WOTLK for which I am thankful. I enjoy the difficulty of keeping the schmuck alive, it the blatent ignoring when requesting people wait 10 seconds to let me drink because my mana is 20%. If I do not drink we will wipe, period.

Hopefully last night was a fluck, I've had a couple of great UK runs with good tanks. I just can't figure out how people got to that level and still do not check the state of the party before pulling, I dont mean a rdycheck each pull, just look at the general health/mana status.

What class/spec are you?

moojito

Fortunately bliz threw new wotlk plate tanks a bone with the extremely cheap and decently itemised cobalt set, available at level 70.

If your tanks don't have at least 3 pieces of that on, maybe with the boa chest and shoulders, I'd be worried.

Bisnic

Flib said:
What class/spec are you?

Class/spec/gear wont change anything with impatient, undergeared tanks.

I'm a Disc Priest with all the good required talents for healing, i've got all the BOA gear, all the best blue items you can get in Northrend for a lvl 74, and when you get the retard DK trying to tank in DPS gear, gear with no stamina and EVEN Holy Paladin gear like i did yesterday, nothing will save you from draining your mana fast. It was like healing a pug with no tank and just healing the DPS doing the most threat with the amount of damage he was taking.

So I've been asked to OT our ICC runs starting tonight. Seems my boomkin is going to the back burner for a while. Shame he just broke 5500 GS.

Should be a fun change of pace, my hand was starting to cramp from doing my DPS rotation :lol

Flib

Bisnic said:
Class/spec/gear wont change anything with impatient, undergeared tanks.

I'm a Disc Priest with all the good required talents for healing, i've got all the BOA gear, all the best blue items you can get in Northrend for a lvl 74, and when you get the retard DK trying to tank in DPS gear, gear with no stamina and EVEN Holy Paladin gear like i did yesterday, nothing will save you from draining your mana fast. It was like healing a pug with no tank and just healing the DPS doing the most threat with the amount of damage he was taking.

I was literally just interested in what class/spec he was, as I've started healing as well.

Dunlop

Flib said:
I was literally just interested in what class/spec he was, as I've started healing as well.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhiRuocbZfxt0bbqbZh

If you go to the WOW forums, it is on a sticky and tells you which talents to pick lvl by level. I took it because I had been away for years so I needed a way to ease back in.

It is kind of a best of both worlds build, I can heal fine in dungeons (excluding the bad tank examples) and has some kick ass DPS.

PW:S >Holy Fire > Smite > Smite > Smite (or shadow word death if mob health really low) --> dead mob. Throw in inner focus every now and again with my +spellpower trinkets.

The Smite Glyp for 20% extra damage when Holy fire has dotted the mob and usually the talent that gives a free instacast smite (firewall at work, can't remember the talent name) procs often meaning I can usually take down at least a +2 mob in 10 seconds and will finsih with mana full.

I want to spec shadow to see how the hell it could be faster :D

I repecced to a popular holy build, it made healing the dungeon pulls easier but I found I was not nearly as mana efficient and PVE grinding because much slower (I was getting oom after 3 pulls) and gave me a relapse of my old WOW life when I was an end game raider stuck in a Holy build....back when Holy couldn't DPS a fluffy bunny

I love the nights where I can't get any sleep. Woke up at about 4:30 this morning and got my weekly raid, daily heroic dungeon, and picked herbs for an hour while being the only person in Sholozar Basin. 11 Frost Lotus should last me awhile for flasks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
funkmastergeneral said:
According to MMO Champ there's no patch this week, and I didn't think Toravon would be released before the new season starts.
It wouldn't make much sense to release Toravon without the Wrathful Gear even being released :lol

I've been enjoying not having to bother with shitty VoA. Too bad. Once Toravon releases, it'll be back to dealing with pugs again :lol

funkmastergeneral said:
I love the nights where I can't get any sleep. Woke up at about 4:30 this morning and got my weekly raid, daily heroic dungeon, and picked herbs for an hour while being the only person in Sholozar Basin. 11 Frost Lotus should last me awhile for flasks.

So that's what it takes.

During normal hours, it's usually me and several other horde/alliance players racing for the herb in Sholozar :lol

I only farm enough to do my daily inscription research.

ToddG15

funkmastergeneral said:
According to MMO Champ there's no patch this week, and I didn't think Toravon would be released before the new season starts.
Ugh, last time I listen to my friends... Thanks.

Angry Grimace said:
It wouldn't make much sense to release Toravon without the Wrathful Gear even being released :lol

I've been enjoying not having to bother with shitty VoA. Too bad. Once Toravon releases, it'll be back to dealing with pugs again :lol

I love VoA, even the retards can't make us wipe. One of these days I'll pick up a piece of tier gear from there...

Tamanon

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I love VoA, even the retards can't make us wipe. One of these days I'll pick up a piece of tier gear from there...

I dunno, have you tried doing that boss where only you switch over to kill the Overcharged add? That doesn't end well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
moojito said:
I don't know how other classes do it, but for a druid it's not that easy. After a while you can get away with just spamming feral faerie fire on it, but right at the start you have some problems with healing threat and have to make sure you land your FFF after the taunt and not before it otherwise the healers are in trouble.

You can just tank it with a couple of high threat moves when it's just a when it's just formed and doens't have any angry poopoo charges. It's damage starts to reach untankable pretty much the moment it absorbs another ooze though.

Bisnic

Tamanon said:
I dunno, have you tried doing that boss where only you switch over to kill the Overcharged add? That doesn't end well.

Yeah, i remember when Emalon was the new VOA boss and not everyone was in ilvl 232-251 gear... man killing those overcharged adds in 25 man was a bitch.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
I got exactly one piece of current from there in its entire run.

moojito said:

Yup warrior here lol. I guess a mixture of Heroic Throw and taunts. Maybe get a Shockwave in too. Or pop shield wall and go in hard, maybe give my raid leader a heart attack :p

Arp3ggi0

Neo Member
Bisnic said:
horde Area 52 where my lvl 74 priest is, which is really high pop and god... there is so many pug raids looking for people when im in a major town. I'm THAT close to transfer my mage over there, even if it cost me 55$. He have a gearscore of nearly 5.3K, so i put a lot of effort into it. :(

My prot paladin is on Area 52, name is Symuel. There are a *ton* of horde on Area 52, for sure. I'm mostly farming heroics atm, trying to gear up for some 10 mans. Tanks are pretty hard to come by, even with the new LFD, so shoot me a tell if you need me a tank. :D

yacobod

Banned
Sullen said:
I don't wanna be a dick, but I am on Illidan, same as Yacobod, and as he confirmed, it is pug'd on our server.

what guild are you in, if you dont mind me asking

i originally xfered to illidan to join Blood Legion on my warrior, ended up quitting the game for personal reasons 2 weeks after transferring, came back a few months later and joined Farm Town, was in that guild for like 5 months or so clearing Ulduar and ToGC, i played previously on Illidan on my hunter during BC

arhra

You know, for all the bitching i did about Rotface last week, we went in on Sunday and one-shot him. Then got Putricide with only one wipe.

Blood Princes was a bitch to learn, simply because there's so much shit flying around and going on all the time, but it was a really fun fight once we got the hang of it. And tonight, we went back to finish off Blood Queen Lana'thel, and got her with 6 wipes left.

Then, since we had time left over, we decided to go back and finish off some stuff in Ulduar, and finally got One Light in the Darkness, which completed my Glory of the Ulduar Raider meta and got me my first 310% mount.

Dunlop said:

Dunlop said:

If you want my advice, get rid of all that holy malarkey while you're leveling, it's actually not necessary. Even with that build you should be able to go pretty much non-stop as a healer if you're mainly casting shields (i.e. getting Rapture constantly) and Penance. Use Inner-Focus with Prayer of Healing if the shit hits the fan. Also you'll be basically indestructible when you're questing.

How are you approaching healing 5 mans, if you don't mind me asking?

edit:

Bisnic said:
Reducing the number of rifts wont really make it easier. Just faster. Killing 4 rifts because it makes the boss immune was more of an annoyance than a challenge.

Derp yeah that's true. Still I do think it's interesting that an achievement being made easier is a side-effect with both the Nexus and UP changes in the patch.

Angry Grimace

jim-jam bongs said:
Use Inner-Focus with Prayer of Healing if the shit hits the fan. Also you'll be basically indestructible when you're questing.
More like, use Inner Focus with Divine Hymn. Because entering or maintaining a "casting state" requires you to expend mana, you gain mana by casting IF + Divine Hymn.

Angry Grimace said:
More like, use Inner Focus with Divine Hymn. Because entering or maintaining a "casting state" requires you to expend mana, you gain mana by casting IF + Divine Hymn.

That's true at 80, but I thought that he was still leveling?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
what's the best place to look at icc boss strat?

i remember a website that had neat animations. but it wanted you to spay a fee for every boss. lame.

a friend said tankspot but it's down.

Bisnic

jim-jam bongs said:
If you want my advice, get rid of all that holy malarkey while you're leveling, it's actually not necessary. Even with that build you should be able to go pretty much non-stop as a healer if you're mainly casting shields (i.e. getting Rapture constantly) and Penance. Use Inner-Focus with Prayer of Healing if the shit hits the fan. Also you'll be basically indestructible when you're questing.

How are you approaching healing 5 mans, if you don't mind me asking?

edit:

Derp yeah that's true. Still I do think it's interesting that an achievement being made easier is a side-effect with both the Nexus and UP changes in the patch.

Personally, i like this build :

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhVRIsffRtfxzc:mbAcM0

It's very good for healing 5 mans and even soloing aint so bad(though Shadow is still way better). Great talents for damage reduction and absorption. Nice crit chance and Penance is very good for healing heavy damage.

I have to drink maybe once or twice or maybe never, depending on how good the group is.

Bisnic said:
Personally, i like this build :

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhVRIsffRtfxzc:mbAcM0

It's very good for healing 5 mans and even soloing aint so bad(though Shadow is still way better). Great talents for damage reduction and absorption. Nice crit chance and Penance is very good for healing heavy damage.

I have to drink maybe once or twice or maybe never, depending on how good the group is.

Except for Renew and Healing Focus in the first tier that's exactly my current Disc build. I prefer to take the half second off my gheals with Divine Fury so I can Shield (i.e. haste) > Penance > Greater Heal a tank in trouble, but I only use my Disc spec for a few raid fights these days and I'm always on tank heals + raid shields for those so the spec is built around that.

Disc priesting is definitely one of my favourite pockets of gameplay in WoW. That grid of amazing talents with fantastic synergy just before Borrowed Time make it a really exciting way to approach healing.

Bisnic

I dont even use Greater heal, so that's why i put the points in something else than Divine Fury. Penance is good enough(for now at least) for the "Oh Shit HEAL" button.

Ehhhh many priests argue with me on this but I'd put it back on your bar if you're MT healing raids at all. I use modifier-based macros and gheal is the ALT in my direct heal macro so it's not used that often, but there are fights where tanks are getting hit for > 75% of their 50k health pool in a few quick attacks. In that situation I find that, unless you get trip-crit Penances every time, Flash Heal won't get them back up quickly enough.

Also Borrowed Time gets eaten on the next heal cast that isn't Penance, so as far as speed is concerned a talented gheal (which should be well under a 2 sec cast with BT and caster haste) gets you out of trouble faster than a couple of Flash Heals.

Bisnic

jim-jam bongs said:
Ehhhh many priests argue with me on this but I'd put it back on your bar if you're MT healing raids at all. I use modifier-based macros and gheal is the ALT in my direct heal macro so it's not used that often, but there are fights where tanks are getting hit for > 75% of their 50k health pool in a few quick attacks. In that situation I find that, unless you get trip-crit Penances every time, Flash Heal won't get them back up quickly enough.

Also Borrowed Time gets eaten on the next heal cast that isn't Penance, so as far as speed is concerned a talented gheal (which should be well under a 2 sec cast with BT and caster haste) gets you out of trouble faster than a couple of Flash Heals.

I said my priest was lvl 74 sooner. :lol I'm not going to raid anytime soon. Which is also why i said "(for now at least)".

Bisnic said:
I said my priest was lvl 74 sooner. :lol I'm not going to raid anytime soon. Which is also why i said "(for now at least)".

Sorry man, my bad. It was Australia day yesterday so I'm a bit the worse for wear today.

Dunlop

thanks for the advise, I am leveling still (71 atm).

Even though I am happy with the build I posted, being the spec whore that I am I respecced to the link you provided. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow as I am exhausted and in UC with at least 15 minutes on my hearth, thanks!

To answer the previous question, I leave Inner Focus and Prayer of Healing as my "oh shit" backup.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I forgot the answer to this, but should I go ahead and bite he bullet on buying dual spec now at 61 or wait? If "wait", I'm still in Arms. Should I keep going up to 80 as Arms or maybe switch to Prot the rest of the way?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Kintaro said:
I forgot the answer to this, but should I go ahead and bite he bullet on buying dual spec now at 61 or wait? If "wait", I'm still in Arms. Should I keep going up to 80 as Arms or maybe switch to Prot the rest of the way?
Well, you don't need to buy epic flying until 77 along with cold weather flying which totals 6,000 gold. That's doable with 60-77 quests alone IIRC. Higher level northrend zones require flying and you're going to be sick of the dinky 225 flying.

So, if you have 1,000 gold now and aren't using it to play the auction house I'd just go ahead and get dual spec. Otherwise, the 1kg is essentially going to be sitting around doing nothing.

If you aren't power leveling and you're running dungeons along the way, it's help you learn your class better as a dps and tank.

J-Rzez

Still no saronite cloak. Starting to really piss me off.

They still need to really tune some of these fights in here on 10-man. They need to get strict 10-man guilds to run stuff in PTR's to figure out damage tuning. They still didn't fix the slimes from Rotface yet as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom