• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

Would it be worth leveling up another toon and trying to get into ICC raids in about 2 weeks? Haven't been keeping up with Cataclysm release, and don't wanna level up a tank and then not be able to get into any Raids because I'm so behind the curve on gear

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Would it be worth leveling up another toon and trying to get into ICC raids in about 2 weeks? Haven't been keeping up with Cataclysm release, and don't wanna level up a tank and then not be able to get into any Raids because I'm so behind the curve on gear
what level are you? it's being said cat is 6-10 months away.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
3rd largest non-archived thread now...it's been around a lot longer than either of the threads that beat it though; the Street Fighter IV thread and the Rock Band thread (which has 100,000+ replies).

The PoliGAF thread would dwarf everything else but it gets archived every calendar year.

Yeah, there isn't many threads still active that was started back in 2004. :lol

Swag

DeathNote said:
what level are you? it's being said cat is 6-10 months away.

Well I'd be starting at level 1 with heirlooms, so give or take 1 - 1.5 weeks to get to 80 over spring break so I'd probably take me a week to get geared for ICC. Pretty much a month to get prepped, but I'm scared no one would want to take a noob tank that's not geared in 264 gear to ICC.

Better of just making a rogue or something, at least my DPS can be made up by carries.

Entropia said:

Jesus that was great

mclem

Wrekt said:
When I went prot, I had a full set of 200-232 epics and didn't skimp on enchants (including +sta ring enchants) and unbuffed I had 29k hp as a Pally. I did have to gem some def to reach cap but there is no way someone is dinging 80 with 30k hp.
I stand corrected, then, it's been quite a while; I was just recalling that I had 20k back in TBC and reasoned that about 10k more after levelling seemed reasonable given I'm sitting around 50k now.

Mind you, that 20k was raid-buffed, which I probably ought to have taken into account!

The point was more that when I dinged 80, I was a *low* geared tank, since the person I was responding to was suggesting that Marrowgar would be no problem with a freshly-geared 80.

mclem

HarryDemeanor said:
I just remembered that since the olympics have started that the Spirit of Competition event hasn't even shown up. Wonder if they're going to activate it on Tuesday.

More to the point, the whole spirit of competition thing was Chinese-themed, which doesn't quite fit in with the Vancouver Olympics.

mclem

Cindres said:
With GearScore coming in as the worst fucking addon ever created and the community getting even worse at "NO EPIX NO COMING!" Random dungeon finder is a godsend.

I'm not a bleeding-edge tank, but I *am* pretty good; we're proceeding through ICC nicely. I've got good gear, but a bit of a tendency to pass on gear in favour of the weaker tanks because I'm comfortable with my survivability currently; it's very rare that we fail a fight due to tank death. My gearscore, I'm told, is around 5.4k.

I saw a yell in Dalaran yesterday asking for a PuG tank for ICC-10. With a gearscore minumum *just* below my own. For a PuG.

Buh?

lordmrw

So I finally got around to joining a guild again after almost a year, and I'm enjoying it. Currently we have about 30 people at 80, but 10 or 11 of them still need to gear up through ToC before they can join us in ICC. We divided our members up into two 10 man groups so everyone can get experience at the bosses, then on the weekend we do our 25 man. The first 25 man we did was a disaster, hopefully it'll go better because of this.

I did my first 10 man with the guild this past thursday, and it was awesome. We one shot everything up to Rotface except Lady Deathwhisper. Raid leader had his mic really low, and we told him numerous times to adjust it, but he refused, so myself and 2 others couldn't hear him over everything else and we wiped once. I wound up having to turn off the game sound just to hear him. Minor hiccup. I got two upgrades out of it finally, breaking my 3 week unlucky streak in ICC where absolutely nothing dropped for me.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow I just attempted Marrowgar 10man on my mage and my dps was crap. I could get about 5k dps on Toravon 10man. But on Marrowgar I was doing about 2.7k. Believe it or not I was top DPS a couple times cause it was a pretty inexperienced group. So are Mages usually really low on this fight? Am I basically gonna have to be carried through it if I ever want to down him? It seems like I'm having to be moving out of something every 2 seconds and canceling my casts. I'm Arcane now, I'm thinking about respec'ing to Fire for this fight and seeing if that works any better.

mclem

sykoex said:
It seems like I'm having to be moving out of something every 2 seconds and canceling my casts.

There are ways to minimise the movement requirements; using the right tactics you can manipulate the fire such that it stays away from your DPS group.

Except for hunters. Hunters have to suffer.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
mclem said:
There are ways to minimise the movement requirements; using the right tactics you can manipulate the fire such that it stays away from your DPS group.

Except for hunters. Hunters have to suffer.
You mean having all the dps/healers stack in melee range behind marrowgar?

ToddG15

sykoex said:
You mean having all the dps/healers stack in melee range behind marrowgar?
Yup. My moonkin did a little over 8k on 10 Marrowgar this weekend (a new high for me!). Key is to stack on melee so you don't have to move from fires. Then you only have to move for bone storms.

Dunlop

Holy crap is it easy to gear up at 80, thanks for the tips

Guess I'll have to attempt raiding sooner than I thought, what's funny is all the groups seem to want you to link the achievement before an invite, so that is what might cause me to wait instead of gear like I thought. A bonus is I can play around with a holy spec now and figure out how the hell to properly configure healgrid.

I'm leveling a DK now as an alt to juggle with rest xp, too bad the BOA 2 hander cannot have runes on it (purchased crusader enchant). I did enjoy the story arc, pretty sick class, hopefully I can level him as fast in dungeons if I spec for tank as I did with my healer.

On the subject of BOA, because the stonekeeper shards fall like candy, Ihave so far purchased the shoulders and the 2 hander. I will probably get the mammoth as a tauren DK looks retarded on the dreadstead. Any other recommendations?

Yaweee

Dunlop said:
Holy crap is it easy to gear up at 80, thanks for the tips

Guess I'll have to attempt raiding sooner than I thought, what's funny is all the groups seem to want you to link the achievement before an invite, so that is what might cause me to wait instead of gear like I thought. A bonus is I can play around with a holy spec now and figure out how the hell to properly configure healgrid.

I'm leveling a DK now as an alt to juggle with rest xp, too bad the BOA 2 hander cannot have runes on it (purchased crusader enchant). I did enjoy the story arc, pretty sick class, hopefully I can level him as fast in dungeons if I spec for tank as I did with my healer.

On the subject of BOA, because the stonekeeper shards fall like candy, Ihave so far purchased the shoulders and the 2 hander. I will probably get the mammoth as a tauren DK looks retarded on the dreadstead. Any other recommendations?

Stonekeeper shards can be used to get Honor, which can be spent on the 264 PVP stuff. That's a better way to get your character ready for ICC. The slots you can buy without any kind of Arena rating (just Honor points) are Capes, Necks, Rings, and Bracers. 264 PVP =~ 232 PVE, depending on what stats you need.

Bisnic

Yaweee said:
Stonekeeper shards can be used to get Honor, which can be spent on the 264 PVP stuff. That's a better way to get your character ready for ICC. The slots you can buy without any kind of Arena rating (just Honor points) are Capes, Necks, Rings, and Bracers. 264 PVP =~ 232 PVE, depending on what stats you need.

Seriously, i bought the 264 PVP bracers for my mage and i dont even PVP with him. It only cost around 43k honor and is better than what you can get in the heroic ICC 5 mans. I only lose like 2 intellect and some crit, but gain nearly 30 spell power and haste, not to mention the extra stamina that might help.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:

So instead of being vain and buying the Mammoth when my DK will most likely have a flying mount, I should get some thing useful...gotcha:D

thx

I did not even know I could change it to honor, my noobness joking aside, this emblem crap is confusing as hell. When I first hit 80 I went to Dalaran to cash them in for my tier 9 gear, I go to all the emblem vendors and none of them have it. Only by googling, I learn that the tier 9 gear is at a cloth vendor.

mclem

Since we're on the subject, when you have nothing left that immediately benefits you to spend your stonekeeper's shards on:

150 stonekeeper's shards -> 5 Wintergrasp Commendations -> 10000 Honor -> 1 Epic Gem

I'm slowly converting all my spare shards and emblems (over a thousand Emblems of Conquest!) into epic gems for the AH. My bank balance is looking very healthy lately.

Edit:
I did not even know I could change it to honor, my noobness joking aside, this emblem crap is confusing as hell. When I first hit 80 I went to Dalaran to cash them in for my tier 9 gear, I go to all the emblem vendors and none of them have it. Only by googling, I learn that the tier 9 gear is at a cloth vendor.

While that was confusing for the first few Wrath tiers, there's a full T9 vendor just outside the Crusader's Colloseum, and a full T10 vendor just inside Icecrown Citadel; both next to the place where they're relevant.

yacobod

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
Yeah, that's what i'm thinking too, but I have six 80s I never use and over 10 other characters over level 60 that I RAF'd up with friends. I have no real concept of how much any of them are worth and it'd be fun to find out what people are willing to pay. It would also be fun to find someone dumb enough to pay stupid amounts of money for it all.

i dont think accounts sell for very much anymore, even with the amount of 80s you have, if you have a large amount of gold, you might be better off selling the gold for cash, which is probably more valuable than your actualy characters

i've bought and sold quite a few characters on the marquee dragon forums, beware though there are a lot of scammers that frequent that site, so use common sense when doing a transaction

also its real easy for the owner of an account to take back his account after selling it fyi

mclem said:
I'm not a bleeding-edge tank, but I *am* pretty good; we're proceeding through ICC nicely. I've got good gear, but a bit of a tendency to pass on gear in favour of the weaker tanks because I'm comfortable with my survivability currently; it's very rare that we fail a fight due to tank death. My gearscore, I'm told, is around 5.4k.

I saw a yell in Dalaran yesterday asking for a PuG tank for ICC-10. With a gearscore minumum *just* below my own. For a PuG.

Buh?

PuGs want people already very well geared for a smooth run. I've already gotten all the drops I want out of regular ICC10, and if I was to pug it for emblems I wouldn't want to be carrying people who have barely been passed the first wing.

I have no problem having wipe nights with my guild, but learning ICC fights in a pug is a painful and horrendous experience, hence the gearscore requirement. I know that gearscore =/ skillscore but very well geared people do have tend to know what they're doing.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:
That's a better way to get your character ready for ICC. The slots you can buy without any kind of Arena rating (just Honor points) are Capes, Necks, Rings, and Bracers. 264 PVP =~ 232 PVE, depending on what stats you need.

Works out well, so far I took the tier 9 pieces of helm/chest/gloves as they were the only spots where I did not have epic lvl gear. Guess I shouldn't have wasted 320 shards on the 2H for my deathknight, I knew it couldn't have runes on it but didn't really have anything else to spend them on at the time.

Also the default DK sword when you finish the quests chain is 100x more badass looking :D

I'll check out the stat bonuses on them for priest tonight, I'm finding a lot of my gear drops were better suited for warlocks.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Need some advice. Gonna buy the T9 head piece next but i can't decide wether to socket it with +16 Spirit or +20. The +20 is gonna cost me about 130g more, worth it, not worth it?
(Warlock by the way)

Yaweee

Cindres said:
Need some advice. Gonna buy the T9 head piece next but i can't decide wether to socket it with +16 Spirit or +20. The +20 is gonna cost me about 130g more, worth it, not worth it?
(Warlock by the way)

If you are going to be raiding, you're kind of expected to fork out for the best gems enchantments.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yaweee said:
If you are going to be raiding, you're kind of expected to fork out for the best gems enchantments.
Aye i figured that would be the case.
Ah well i can afford 150g :lol

Bisnic

Why would you gem for spirit as a warlock? If it's anything like a mage, you want spell power, crit, hit, or haste. Haven't played a warlock for a while, i only know it helps for Lifetap and mana regen, but even still.. you want to gem for more damage, not more mana regen.

johnsmith

remember me
Good night. got both blood queen and dreamwalker down in 25 man. We've had a lot of 1% wipes on Blood Queen so it was nice getting her down. Probably would have gotten her a lot earlier if it wasn't for us being on Mal'ganis, one of the worst, laggiest servers. What was really funny is that I actually got bit first, and it completely threw us off. I'm a shadow priest, and its always the same rogue or hunter getting bit first. I usually don't get bit until the very end, despite being the 2nd best caster. Somehow my dps exploded out of the gate, no idea what happened, a fluke string of crits or the other dps being slow, but I was at the top when the bite went out. Managed to kill her despite me messing up in the last bite phase and turning into a vampire.

WE also had a lot of close calls on Dreamwalker before finally getting her down. 2 wipes at less than 1% to go. Our kill only had 2 or 3 people left alive, beat her by the skin of our teeth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
keeblerdrow said:
I don't gem epic gems until item level 245. Rares suffice until then.

Bisnic:

Glyph of Spirit Tap

Fel Armor
You still wouldn't gem for spirit as a Warlock. You might take it as the blue stat in a purple with SP, but gemming a straight blue will never equal out to the benefit of pure spell power. Unless there's secret math I don't know about.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Entropia said:
I believe that was what I was saying. You wouldn't really gem for Spirit other than as the blue part of a purple. And even then I imagine the socket bonus would have to be over a certain threshold.

I don't know if it's the LK being released or not, but the only thing tying me to the game is the fact that my guild probably needs me to play to progress. Burnout again, and probably permanent.

J-Rzez

Man, another blue post on how they're changing "stats" around again. Not making them complex. I loved having to make tough choices on gear, gemming, and enchanting. Is it worth getting rid of "x" for "y"? This was incredibly fun while I was tanking. You had to look at the pluses and minuses of each. People would discuss the merits of each forever and a day.

I understand that the new stuff is supposed to let you custom tailor better (simpler?) as they're saying, but I hope that it isn't flat out boring.

I have a great idea to make up something about this, but I fail at photoshop, and lack a site to post it on so it would get noticed.

J-Rzez

Cindres said:
Ah ok so looking at it i need to go for SP/Spirit gem? Sorted, cheers guys.

Yes, the "purified" variety iirc. Spirit is chosen as your glyph of life tap works it's buff off of spirit, once again, iirc. I use them on my Lock in blue sockets.

Dunlop

I'm enjoying these higher lvl heroic dungeons. Was in Pit of Saron (?) with an undergeared tank and it was almost stroke inducing :D

Made my Holy raiding spec and was hoping to test it out in dungeon runs but kept getting the "hard" ones with under geared people so kept reveting back to my disc build that is better equiped for spike dmg. I need to get used to using Circle of healing and Guardian Spirit.

It seems to be a hot topic, for healing any preference to Healbot or grid?

thatbox

Banned
Dunlop said:
It seems to be a hot topic, for healing any preference to Healbot or grid?
Use whichever you're most comfortable with, but make sure to take the time to set up whatever you choose well (show aggro, important debuffs, etc.).

Angry Grimace

thatbox said:
Use whichever you're most comfortable with, but make sure to take the time to set up whatever you choose well (show aggro, important debuffs, etc.).
GRID takes an hour or so to set up, but I strongly prefer it to HealBot, which I find annoying. My main heals I still have as hotkeyed mouseover macros, but I run Clique also for mouse click dispels and cleanses.

Yaweee

So, something's been confusing me for a while, and I'm not sure whether it is just people being dogmatic douchebags or if there is actually something there.

Is there something wrong with using +Hit gems or the +Hit trinket if that will place you right around the hit limit? I landed on a person's ignore list for having a hit gem or two (among other things), and somebody in the Elem forums of MMO Champion got laughed at for using the +128 hit trinket.

Nothing wrong with gemming for +hit if you're under the hit cap. Depending on my gear my DPS have a hit gem or two sometimes. I don't think I ever needed the +128 hit trinket, there's so many better trinkets out there, and it's easy to be hit capped without it.

Even my tank has 1 or 2 hit gems so taunt doesn't miss. The best tank on my server has a couple as well so I figure there's nothing wrong with that, considering how many tank swaps there are in ICC.

Angry Grimace

Yaweee said:
So, something's been confusing me for a while, and I'm not sure whether it is just people being dogmatic douchebags or if there is actually something there.

Is there something wrong with using +Hit gems or the +Hit trinket if that will place you right around the hit limit? I landed on a person's ignore list for having a hit gem or two (among other things), and somebody in the Elem forums of MMO Champion got laughed at for using the +128 hit trinket.
It really doesn't take a lot of math to figure out that hit has a higher stat weight than SP/Strength/AP when you're undercapped and is ideal to gem for.

Yaweee

Angry Grimace said:
It really doesn't take a lot of math to figure out that hit has a higher stat weight than SP/Strength/AP when you're undercapped and is ideal to gem for.

That's what I thought, but I've seen people react violently to hit gems.

As for the trinket, it has a pretty damn good proc; not anywhere near the BiS ones (Reign, Spyglass, or Dislodged), but if it lets a person shuffle to better gear it should be highly regarded and not an insta-lol.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:
My main heals I still have as hotkeyed mouseover macros

I'll be looking into this tonight, I try to automate as little as possible, but inside raids it's a whole other matter.

can't wait to enter my first pug raid...shudder

notworksafe

Yaweee said:

If you are under the cap, gem for hit. It'll improve the hell out of your DPS and you can just switch it out later if needed.

Yaweee

border said:
Who ignores someone because they have the wrong kind of gems? There has to be more to that story. ;)

I beat him on a roll for the 264 shield off of Marrowgar. He offers me 1000g for it (really? only 1000?) I say no. He freaks the fuck out, points out my "Hit gems, PVP gear (a cape) and spirit gear (the 245 Ony Ring, and a belt that was essentially that was still a slight upgrade over what I was wearing before even with the wasted stat.) I try to respond, but I was on his ignore list.

Int,Spirit,MP5, and Resilience are all essentially worthless to an Elem shaman. I know there's an argument to be said for MP5 being better than Spirit, but if I never run out of mana than who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom