• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

Good times. Got my 4pc T10 bonus, a trinket, and Shadow's Edge. Finally a good week for me in this game.

I hope that new 2-seater rocket mount isn't just tied to quests.. I want that to fly around on, thank you very much. Hopefully it's not BoP. That way I can make it on my Rogue for my DK, and make a killing selling these things to people!

UB is something that'll help out Unholy in PVP for sure now. They still may need a better buff to ScS than they're getting yet though, as they need a bit more punch. But the UB change is certainly a step in the right direction.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Good times. Got my 4pc T10 bonus, a trinket, and Shadow's Edge. Finally a good week for me in this game.

I hope that new 2-seater rocket mount isn't just tied to quests.. I want that to fly around on, thank you very much. Hopefully it's not BoP. That way I can make it on my Rogue for my DK, and make a killing selling these things to people!

UB is something that'll help out Unholy in PVP for sure now. They still may need a better buff to ScS than they're getting yet though, as they need a bit more punch. But the UB change is certainly a step in the right direction.
I don't get the "buff" to SS at all other than making SS more and more like Obliterate than it already is (it functions almost identically and does about the same damage).

They keep saying that the change is going to make your SS's hit for more with no diseases up....except if you have no diseases up, you really shouldn't use a Scourge Strike regardless; you can just use Obliterate for the exact same effect.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
I don't get the "buff" to SS at all other than making SS more and more like Obliterate than it already is (it functions almost identically and does about the same damage).

They keep saying that the change is going to make your SS's hit for more with no diseases up....except if you have no diseases up, you really shouldn't use a Scourge Strike regardless; you can just use Obliterate for the exact same effect.

Well a couple tests have shown it's a "minimal" buff in PVE, but I suppose it's a slight fix in PVP where you throw your diseases up, and right as your pressing your ScS they're wiped out. When I used to PVP, it happened a lot.

It's amazing how much of a mess of a talent it is. Blizzard has been playing with it forever now. They have no clue what to do with it, how to make it work. I for one, liked when both were able to be modified crits :lol

This is probably going to be one of the abilities we see missing in Cataclysm, replaced with something else all together.

speedpop said:
The Desolace section connects to Stonetalon Mountains. There's not much there but old Elven ruins.

I've heard if you fly up there and get Thunderstormed away via shaman duel you can hit GM Island with slowfall and lots of patience, assuming you're pointed accurately. Never tried it though =P

mclem

J-Rzez said:

There haven't been any passenger flying mounts yet, presumably to reduce the risk of griefing by dumping people out at a great height. I'd expect it to be a quest thing, but I could be wrong.

Cipherr

J-Rzez said:

Nice I got the Distant Land staff on my hunter today and the Leggings of Northern lights from Deathwhisper. That allowed me to drop my 2pc t9 and put on the 4pc t10 as well.

I hope the trinket you got was deathbringers will. We need more people complaining about its bugs to get it fixed :lol You cant mount with that thing procced, or bite people in the princess fight, nor can you be bitten while shapeshifted, you cant use your rocket pack in the gunship fight while its active either. And in PvP sometimes the proc seems to...dispel snare and root effects :lol :lol :lol Its random as all hell I swear to god. Had to be the most broken thing in the game.

VaLiancY

Damn those DK buffs sound nice. I might hop back in next month and try out all the new goodies. I love coming back to WoW after a major content patch, it feels like Christmas for a week straight even if you know all of the changes already.:lol

y2dvd

Went thru my first dungeon run last night using Dungeon Finder. How does it works? Does it teleport you to the selected dungeon if you agree to it? I was already right outside the dungeon so I couldn't tell. Does it also try to group everyone based on the char roles? My group seems like a balanced group. What sucks was someone said we were about 95% complete with the dungeon when our only tank had to leave, thus ruining the entire run. :lol

Dunlop

y2dvd said:
Went thru my first dungeon run last night using Dungeon Finder. How does it works? Does it teleport you to the selected dungeon if you agree to it? I was already right outside the dungeon so I couldn't tell. Does it also try to group everyone based on the char roles? My group seems like a balanced group. What sucks was someone said we were about 95% complete with the dungeon when our only tank had to leave, thus ruining the entire run. :lol

It will teleport you in from anywhere, which is great..except almost noone actually has the quests that would be linked to the dungeon.

It will always group you by ;

Tank
Healer
3 x DPS

It's a bitch when the tank or healer leave as you will need to wait around about 10-15 minutes due to their rarity, DPS are a dime a dozen though and will instanly be replaced if one leaves.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Huh... you never have to wait 10-15 minutes if a tank or healer leave in the middle of a run. Maybe before Northrend, but at 80, it never takes more than a few seconds since they put you at the top of the queue. At worst, it can take 1 minute.

arhra

J-Rzez said:
After doing my daily today i'm one freaking badge short of my t10 4pc. It's like the game is taunting me.

Luckily we're raiding tonight, so i can just get gems/enchants prepped (which turns out to be quite a job, since i need to replace an extra 5 gems just to stay hit capped...), then go buy it after Marrowgar.

Bisnic said:
Huh... you never have to wait 10-15 minutes if a tank or healer leave in the middle of a run. Maybe before Northrend, but at 80, it never takes more than a few seconds since they put you at the top of the queue. At worst, it can take 1 minute.

On your battlegroup cluster.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bisnic said:
Easily takes 10+ minutes to find a new tank/healer for my groups.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:

It took close to 20 last night when our healer DC'ed, we did most of the dungeon without a healer. Of course it was on my tank who are running the TBC dungeons so the pool of people available is much smaller.

Even at 80 with my healer if the tank ever left, we waited at least 5 mins

y2dvd

Bisnic said:

Remember I'm a noob here so the entire group was around lvl 19. Everyone quickly left after the tank dropped. They were probably noobs too and didn't know how long it would take for another tank to fill the role.

So I'm going BeastMaster route with my hunter but from what I'm understanding, BM isn't too hot when it comes to raiding? I like to solo for the most part and I think PVP most interest me. How does BM do in PVP?

So far I've been sticking with a cat as a pet, but I hear the bear is the best pet to have so I'll probably be making the switch.

Dunlop

y2dvd said:
So I'm going BeastMaster route with my hunter but from what I'm understanding, BM isn't too hot when it comes to raiding? I like to solo for the most part and I think PVP most interest me. How does BM do in PVP?

I'm not sure about hunter specifics, but changing your spec in WOW is incredibly easy raiding is very far off from when you are now and the spec you will need to use then is probably specific to raiding and not as usefull while you level.

Even if you do not like the spec you are currently in you can change for a few gold. because of this you can mess around with multple specs to find which you like to play the most.

Cipherr

y2dvd said:
Remember I'm a noob here so the entire group was around lvl 19. Everyone quickly left after the tank dropped. They were probably noobs too and didn't know how long it would take for another tank to fill the role.

So far I've been sticking with a cat as a pet, but I hear the bear is the best pet to have so I'll probably be making the switch.

BM is a great leveling spec, and while leveling will allow you to do sufficient damage in dungeons as well. Its a good spec. Its not so hot at 80 for raiding, its our least viable raid spec, but by that time you will have plenty of money to buy dual speccing. Meaning you will be able to have 2 specs that you are allowed to switch between at will. It will be perfectly ok for you to keep your BM spec for leveling, and soloing quests that people need a group for, while having your secondary be a high dps raiding spec.

BM is fine in PvP but places greater importance on managing your pet and keeping it alive since its a large part of your damage output. And finally yes, a bear, a crocodile or a Gorilla are the 'tanking' pets that are best IMO. A bear has a swipe ability that allows it to damage multiple mobs in front of it, so it can hold aggro on them very well. A gorilla has a spell interrupt, this is something you dont have as a BM hunter outside of a 3s stun, so it adds a little utility, and a crocodile is the best pet in terms of holding threat on multiple monsters, it has a damage shield ability. When this skill is activated it deals damage to anything that hits the crocodile. So sending your croc into a patch of 5 monsters and having it thunderstomp + use its damage shield ability leaves you free to volley all of the mobs to death without pulling aggro.

notworksafe

Puncture said:
And finally yes, a bear, a crocodile or a Gorilla are the 'tanking' pets that are best IMO. A bear has a swipe ability that allows it to damage multiple mobs in front of it, so it can hold aggro on them very well. A gorilla has a spell interrupt, this is something you dont have as a BM hunter outside of a 3s stun, so it adds a little utility, and a crocodile is the best pet in terms of holding threat on multiple monsters, it has a damage shield ability. When this skill is activated it deals damage to anything that hits the crocodile. So sending your croc into a patch of 5 monsters and having it thunderstomp + use its damage shield ability leaves you free to volley all of the mobs to death without pulling aggro.

Is boar no longer any good? I remember when I was leveling my hunter, that's what everyone said to get. Of course, this was back when you had to train certain pets to get skills to give to others, so things may have changed.

Jin

Got Deathbringer's Will over the weekend. This must be the coolest trinket in the game. Someone in random heroics asked "How did you turn into a Tauren?"

Now if only my guild can down Fester and Rot for my Shadow's Edge....

Hadoken said:
Got Deathbringer's Will over the weekend. This must be the coolest trinket in the game. Someone in random heroics asked "How did you turn into a Tauren?"

Now if only my guild can down Fester and Rot for my Shadow's Edge....

How can they not tell the difference between a Taunka and a Tauren?

Flib

notworksafe said:
Is boar no longer any good? I remember when I was leveling my hunter, that's what everyone said to get. Of course, this was back when you had to train certain pets to get skills to give to others, so things may have changed.

Boars aren't the best for any purpose. The 3 listed above are the best "Tenacity" pets, which are used as personal tanks, whereas if you are raiding/dungeoning you want to use a "Ferocity" pet, specifically a wolf because of their Ferocious Howl ability (buffs your pet's attack power PLUS your attack power).

JesseZao

Looks like the upcoming iphone app update with the AH is going to lock you out of the game while using it. I bet this is going to encourage more people to buy second accounts so they can have a mobile AH without having to dual-box it.

Was in latest patch notes:

CHAR_LOGIN_LOCKED_BY_MOBILE_AH = "You cannot log in while using the mobile or web auction house."

I'm still holding out for Cataclysm for now, but I'm interested in the pre-cata events. I could see myself being pulled back in a couple months.

notworksafe

Flib said:
Boars aren't the best for any purpose. The 3 listed above are the best "Tenacity" pets, which are used as personal tanks, whereas if you are raiding/dungeoning you want to use a "Ferocity" pet, specifically a wolf because of their Ferocious Howl ability (buffs your pet's attack power PLUS your attack power).

Oh alright. Clearly huntering has changed since I last played one. I just remember that boar was preferred because it was the only pet that had Growl by default.

EDIT: Charge as well if I remember correctly.

1up

notworksafe said:
Oh alright. Clearly huntering has changed since I last played one. I just remember that boar was preferred because it was the only pet that had Growl by default.

EDIT: Charge as well if I remember correctly.

Boars were awesome (ravagers too) because of gore. I remember going to the Draenei starting area on a pvp server as my level 12 troll hunter to train a ravager pet. I still have Rakanishu in my stables.

::EDIT:: Also, a funny thing to do as horde on a pvp server is to go to Redridge, tame Bellygrub, rename him Bellygrub, and eyes of the beast attack afk players in Lakeshire.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really? Some people have to wait 10-15 mins to get a new tank or healer at lvl 80?

Guess i got lucky by being Alliance on Vindication and Horde on Retaliation. :lol

Although, i think there's more retards/noobs on Retaliation than Vindication, or maybe it's just the blood elf plague on the Horde side. I've got a bunch of Blood elf DK "tanks" on my undead priest's ignore list who were complete idiots. I don't even have 1 single tank on ignore on my draenei mage & warrior.

JesseZao said:
Looks like the upcoming iphone app update with the AH is going to lock you out of the game while using it. I bet this is going to encourage more people to buy second accounts so they can have a mobile AH without having to dual-box it.

Was in latest patch notes:

CHAR_LOGIN_LOCKED_BY_MOBILE_AH = "You cannot log in while using the mobile or web auction house."

I'm still holding out for Cataclysm for now, but I'm interested in the pre-cata events. I could see myself being pulled back in a couple months.
Well to be fair you have to sort of log into the game servers to access the AH database, so I can see a technical reason for doing that. It also stops the AH from being used anywhere while in the game, which is something they've tried to forbid since the game has launched (no AHs in expansion cities). But yeah, there could pretty easily be a monetary reason behind it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Orbitcube said:
Well to be fair you have to sort of log into the game servers to access the AH database, so I can see a technical reason for doing that. It also stops the AH from being used anywhere while in the game, which is something they've tried to forbid since the game has launched (no AHs in expansion cities). But yeah, there could pretty easily be a monetary reason behind it.
During the very first iterations of PTRs for 3.1, Jeeves had the capability to access the AH anywhere. This was changed to the Dalaran AH that we have now.

J-Rzez

yacobod said:
theres an AH in dalaran?

not sure how i missed out on that

If you're an engineer, yes, in it's shop.

That's funny stuff about that nice trinket having all those glitches though.

Magnus said:
Is it possible to easily acquire Level 70 Arena weapons at this point? I dig the graphic on one and just want to have it.

Pending on what weapon it is, you may have better luck just doing the old raids that drop a similar model.

Cipherr

Is anyone else hoping that in the expansion there is no 'unified' main city? And that Cata uses the classic cities as the main gathering spots? (IF/SW and Orgrimmar)

I play on Icecrown and its a high pop server. Ive played on Suramar and Greymane and never experience Dalaran lag until I played on this server. There are just hundreds of people in town during primetime. You cant even see the freaking floor textures. My fps holds, but the server doesnt, this means getting mail from your mailbox, repairing, turning in dailies, using your bank or anything take forever. Its beyond insane.

I wouldnt imagine engineers consider a AH in Dala much of a bonus on our server, we all go to IF anyway because theres less lag there.

notworksafe

Puncture said:
Is anyone else hoping that in the expansion there is no 'unified' main city? And that Cata uses the classic cities as the main gathering spots? (IF/SW and Orgrimmar)

This is exactly what is going to happen. Though they'll most likely be adding Gnomer and a Troll cap as their own capitals.

1up

notworksafe said:
This is exactly what is going to happen. Though they'll most likely be adding Gnomer and a Troll cap as their own capitals.

Gnomer and Echo Islands arent going to be cities, sorry to burst bubbles. They are just going to exist so Gnomes dont have to share the dwarf starting area and Trolls dont have to share the Orc starting areas anymore.

I'm a troll and I wish that we were getting our own city, but it isnt happening.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bisnic said:
Yeah, Gnomeregan & Echo Isles are way too close to Ironforge & Orgrimmar to even become cities.
Unless Ironforge and Orgirmmar get completely wrecked.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Bisnic said:
Yeah, Gnomeregan & Echo Isles are way too close to Ironforge & Orgrimmar to even become cities.

In the case of Org, it may be a bit of a useless city for certain races anyway with all this mumbo jumbo about Garrosh only letting certain races into the center of town. Echo Isles may be the place to go for AHs and class training in that area of Kalimdor, but then again, Mulgore isn't that far away either for that stuff.

arhra

sykoex said:
For a tank aspiring to be running ICC (I've gotten through Saurfang 10 so far but got stomped by Festergut), which 2 of these 3 trinkets should i be equipping until i can find something better?

Ick's Rotting Thumb
The Black Heart
Glyph of Indomitability

Here's my build right now:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drenden&n=truxx
I'd say Glyph + Black Heart (i'm running with Glyph + a brewfest stam trinket for my prot offspec right now, and tanked the lower spire + plague wing last night).

mclem

arhra said:
I'd say Glyph + Black Heart (i'm running with Glyph + a brewfest stam trinket for my prot offspec right now, and tanked the lower spire + plague wing last night).

Seconded. Two EH options are nice for a heavy physical fight as Festergut is. I'd also strongly suggest acquiring a second high-stam trinket, if you can; my current trinket set up is the (venerable but awesome) Heart of Iron and the (just plain awesome) Satrina's Impending Scarab. Those are both drops from raids, though, you may be better off saving up for the Corroded Skeleton Key (60 emblems of frost).

For that matter, *I* might be better off going for that sometime. Hmmm. Need to think about that. I also need to think about the Unidentifiable Organ, which *looks* awesome but the ramp-up time could prove troublesome.

yacobod

Banned
sykoex said:
For a tank aspiring to be running ICC (I've gotten through Saurfang 10 so far but got stomped by Festergut), which 2 of these 3 trinkets should i be equipping until i can find something better?

Ick's Rotting Thumb
The Black Heart
Glyph of Indomitability

Here's my build right now:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drenden&n=truxx

Glyph + Black heart for the EH as someone else already said, Ick's sucks might as well vendor it

i'd run toc25m and hope for a juggernaut's vitality, you could always save your frost emblems for gear instead of getting the trinket, up to u tho

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I hit 70 on Wednesday (Warrior/Priest Combo) Here is what my guy looks like at this point.

I'm a bit nervous about hopping in and tanking some dungeons. Any tips from some fellow tanks? Besides reading up and studying the instances/bosses/etc which is a nobrainer to me. I picked up some Cobalt tanking pieces off the AH which aren't listed there in the armory as well.

Still having fun though. Northrend is a blast, but on off nights I still go back to old world and outland to explore older zones, work on rep and instances I didn't do into the first time. Fun stuff. I figure I'll hop into some PvP on Arms as well but I'm not sure if I should wait until 80 or just take my lumps like a man now.

Rapstah

Does anyone in this thread actually play on EU servers? People keep referring to the Vindication battlegroup as something good to be on. :/

mikeGFG

Banned
I'm thinking of coming back to the game. question though:

How far off, realistically, until the Lich King (25) is puggable. And by puggable, i'm talkin like, complete faceroll. Patch 4.0, maybe? I'd like to get fully geared out in a matter of weeks, then go in-active again, until the expansion. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom