• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Kintaro said:
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I hit 70 on Wednesday (Warrior/Priest Combo) Here is what my guy looks like at this point.

I'm a bit nervous about hopping in and tanking some dungeons. Any tips from some fellow tanks? Besides reading up and studying the instances/bosses/etc which is a nobrainer to me. I picked up some Cobalt tanking pieces off the AH which aren't listed there in the armory as well.

Still having fun though. Northrend is a blast, but on off nights I still go back to old world and outland to explore older zones, work on rep and instances I didn't do into the first time. Fun stuff. I figure I'll hop into some PvP on Arms as well but I'm not sure if I should wait until 80 or just take my lumps like a man now.

It's pretty self-explanatory, just be ready for people to start AOE'ing as soon as the pull happens. Make sure to thunderstomp, tab targets to build threat on each mob etc. Back in the old days, people actually used CC and such, but now they expect you to AOE tank everything, which is harder on a warrior or druid than a paladin or DK.

1up

Mike G.E.D. said:
I'm thinking of coming back to the game. question though:

How far off, realistically, until the Lich King (25) is puggable. And by puggable, i'm talkin like, complete faceroll. Patch 4.0, maybe? I'd like to get fully geared out in a matter of weeks, then go in-active again, until the expansion. :lol

If Kil'jaeden is any standard, I might say 4.1-4.2. Illidan is pretty hard for a pug unless everyone knows what to do. But on our Sunwell pug, we just saw a raid warning of "LEEEROOOY!" and completely outdps'd and outhealed his phases.

mclem

Rapstah said:
Does anyone in this thread actually play on EU servers? People keep referring to the Vindication battlegroup as something good to be on. :/

Well, I do, but I can't give you any adequate description of Vindication; I'm on Aggramar, in the Blackout Battlegroup.

Flib

1up said:
If Kil'jaeden is any standard, I might say 4.1-4.2. Illidan is pretty hard for a pug unless everyone knows what to do. But on our Sunwell pug, we just saw a raid warning of "LEEEROOOY!" and completely outdps'd and outhealed his phases.

Felmyst is harder thank Kil'jaeden at this point.

mclem

1up said:

Assuming we're talking the basic LK fight, and bearing in mind that the buff to healing and damage will come in at some point and gradually make things easier, I think it'll be pretty easy shortly before 4.0 and a doddle after 4.0, at least in terms of gear requirement factors. However, it'll also likely be the case that the LK fight (which I'm not directly familiar with, yet; two bosses to go in 10-man before him!) has quite a few gotcha mechanics which are likely to one-shot people who aren't careful; while the fight might get relatively easy, you're still going to be dealing with the standard PuG intelligence, which may make things challenging.

1up said:

Probably earlier then that because of the ICC buff that will be happening sometime soon.

Dunlop

Finally did heroic HoR last night (guess my GS is high enough?), gotta be the first dungeon since I resubbed that was actually "hard", I loved it and can definately see how Holy could be more useful than my discipline spec as the whole group was continually taking dmg during the waves

No deaths (well some1 tried to jump on the airship and died)...but no usefull loot for casters : (

Yaweee

HarryDemeanor said:
Alright so I've spent too much time in the normal versions of the Icecrown dungeons and came out with this gear.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Borean+Tundra&cn=Verigan

Am I ready for heroics or should I wait for a few more pieces? I still need to gem and enchant a couple slots.

The normal ICC gear will leave you crushingly overgeared for all heroics except the ICC5 heroics. Yes, you're ready for the 232 heroics. Halls will suck, but it always sucks. Repalce those blues and greens with AH stuff if you can. Most heroic instances won't give you shit you can use.

Jin

Kintaro said:
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I hit 70 on Wednesday (Warrior/Priest Combo) Here is what my guy looks like at this point.

I'm a bit nervous about hopping in and tanking some dungeons. Any tips from some fellow tanks? Besides reading up and studying the instances/bosses/etc which is a nobrainer to me. I picked up some Cobalt tanking pieces off the AH which aren't listed there in the armory as well.

Still having fun though. Northrend is a blast, but on off nights I still go back to old world and outland to explore older zones, work on rep and instances I didn't do into the first time. Fun stuff. I figure I'll hop into some PvP on Arms as well but I'm not sure if I should wait until 80 or just take my lumps like a man now.

The biggest issue for Warrior tanks is getting aggro on multiple mobs quickly because Warrior's don't have the type of AoE aggro threat Paladins and DK's have. It doesn't mean it's impossible just not as easy. The second issue is Warrior tank have a lot of utilities that can overwhelm new players. I don't know what skills are available at level 70 but here's my advise as a level 80 warrior:

Start off with charge. Shield Slam the first mob. By this point the rest of the mobs will come to you. Use Thunder Clap follow by Shockwave. Shockwave stuns then for a couple of seconds which gives you breathing room. Use Cleave and follow that up with Demoralizing Shout. Thunder Clap has a 6 second cooldown so use that asap. Start tabbing to the nearest target and use Shield Slam and Devastate. Concussion Blow also stuns them which allows some breathing room to start threat on another mob.

For casters use Heroic Throw to silence them or Shield Bash when they are in melee range. Use Shield Reflect whenever it's up.

Make sure you put a talent point in Warbringer. This allows you to use Charge, Intercept, and Intervene in any stance. When tanking some mobs will break free and go after a ranged dps or healer. This is inevitable. If you're taunt is on cooldown Charge/intercept/intervene the mob. The biggest advice I can give about tanking is to be proactive all the time. Bad tanks stand in one spot and hit whatever enemy is conveniently closes to them while the other mobs casually run past them and turn their healer into hamburgers. Rotate your camera and see if there's any loose mobs and quickly grab them.

notworksafe

Yaweee said:
The normal ICC gear will leave you crushingly overgeared for all heroics except the ICC5 heroics. Yes, you're ready for the 232 heroics. Halls will suck, but it always sucks. Repalce those blues and greens with AH stuff if you can. Most heroic instances won't give you shit you can use.

Halls has stopped sucking a lot, actually. The packs of mobs are more measured and not as random. It's almost a pleasant instance now.

Hadoken said:
Start off with charge. Shield Slam the first mob. By this point the rest of the mobs will come to you. Use Thunder Clap follow by Shockwave. Shockwave stuns then for a couple of seconds which gives you breathing room. Use Cleave and follow that up with Demoralizing Shout. Thunder Clap has a 6 second cooldown so use that asap. Start tabbing to the nearest target and use Shield Slam and Devastate. Concussion Blow also stuns them which allows some breathing room to start threat on another mob.

For casters use Heroic Throw to silence them or Shield Bash when they are in melee range. Use Shield Reflect whenever it's up.

Glad to see warrior tanking hasn't changed at all in the (exactly) one year since I've been gone.

border

I actually realized the other day that my warrior has never completed Heroic Halls of Reflection, and is presumably therefore not eligible to receive it when randomly grouping. I may actually start tanking again if I can do LFG without having to worry about being handed a crappy HoR group.

Now I wish I'd never done Heroic HoR with any of my characters :lol

Dunlop

notworksafe said:
Halls has stopped sucking a lot, actually. The packs of mobs are more measured and not as random. It's almost a pleasant instance now.

Back to my noobness : is Halls, Hall of Reflection? It just opened up for me when I got my GS to like 2.3

I'm not too clear on what the ICC5 dungeons are

If there are some normal dugneons that can score me better gear than I am all over it

Dunlop said:
Back to my noobness : is Halls, Hall of Reflection? It just opened up for me when I got my GS to like 2.3

I'm not too clear on what the ICC5 dungeons are

If there are some normal dugneons that can score me better gear than I am all over it

Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, and Halls of Reflection are all ICC 5-man dungeons.

I would do Trials of the Champion and see what gear you can get with that and then head into the ICC 5-mans and farm that place for its gear.

Dunlop

HarryDemeanor said:
Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, and Halls of Reflection are all ICC 5-man dungeons.

I would do Trials of the Champion and see what gear you can get with that and then head into the ICC 5-mans and farm that place for its gear.

thanks

I'm doing "ok" gear wise for the majority of heroics, I can't remember the last time there was a drop I could use.

I think outside of my daily random I will just queue for these 3, I just need practice with my holy spec for areas like the 3 pulls in PoS before the cave, it is a complete bitch to do as discipline and would be a lot easier with proper AOE. I've been getting them done so far but all it takes is 1 undergeared pugger to drop like a stone.

I actually picked up a nice trinket that could proc about 250 mana/5 secs whenever a healing spell is cast (although I am sure it is like 2%), maybe it will help me with my mana issue and the steamrolling PUG groups, I keep switching back to my disc build.

Flib

Dunlop said:
thanks

I'm doing "ok" gear wise for the majority of heroics, I can't remember the last time there was a drop I could use.

I think outside of my daily random I will just queue for these 3, I just need practice with my holy spec for areas like the 3 pulls in PoS before the cave, it is a complete bitch to do as discipline and would be a lot easier with proper AOE. I've been getting them done so far but all it takes is 1 undergeared pugger to drop like a stone.

I actually picked up a nice trinket that could proc about 250 mana/5 secs whenever a healing spell is cast (although I am sure it is like 2%), maybe it will help me with my mana issue and the steamrolling PUG groups, I keep switching back to my disc build.

They drop all 232 gear instead of 200 gear on heroic, so yeah.

mclem

border said:
I actually realized the other day that my warrior has never completed Heroic Halls of Reflection, and is presumably therefore not eligible to receive it when randomly grouping. I may actually start tanking again if I can do LFG without having to worry about being handed a crappy HoR group.

Now I wish I'd never done Heroic HoR with any of my characters :lol

Nope, you don't have to have completed the instance to get it as a random heroic. What would have made you ineligible for it would have been never have completed the section of the quest chain in Pit Of Saron - normal *or* heroic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hadoken said:
The biggest issue for Warrior tanks is getting aggro on multiple mobs quickly because Warrior's don't have the type of AoE aggro threat Paladins and DK's have. It doesn't mean it's impossible just not as easy. The second issue is Warrior tank have a lot of utilities that can overwhelm new players. I don't know what skills are available at level 70 but here's my advise as a level 80 warrior:

Make sure you put a talent point in Warbringer. This allows you to use Charge, Intercept, and Intervene in any stance. When tanking some mobs will break free and go after a ranged dps or healer. This is inevitable. If you're taunt is on cooldown Charge/intercept/intervene the mob. The biggest advice I can give about tanking is to be proactive all the time. Bad tanks stand in one spot and hit whatever enemy is conveniently closes to them while the other mobs casually run past them and turn their healer into hamburgers. Rotate your camera and see if there's any loose mobs and quickly grab them.

Thanks for the tips!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
hot key cleave to your center mouse key and spam it constantly imo

Dunlop

Holy crap, I decided to bite the bullet a learn how to heal with the holy tree...and of course HoR is the random that popped.

It was practically easy

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, I've been getting into Battlegrounds of late, healing with my disc priest. What would you say are good numbers to be pulling down on something like Strand of the Ancients for heals at the end of a session? So far, I'm at 300k-ish. Is that good or bad or average?

Yaweee

Mr Nash said:
So, I've been getting into Battlegrounds of late, healing with my disc priest. What would you say are good numbers to be pulling down on something like Strand of the Ancients for heals at the end of a session? So far, I'm at 300k-ish. Is that good or bad or average?
Nobody cares about numbers in Battle grounds, as a factor of 4 swing in damage dealt is pretty common based on length and situations. Often, no damage/healing can be good if it means piloting a tank, dropping a bomb, capping a flag, or gunning down the enemy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Angry Grimace said:
hot key cleave to your center mouse key and spam it constantly imo

Thanks for this. Is marking targets still something tanks do or is that not used much anymore because of AoEing things down.

As for PvP, any tips there? I never went into battlegrounds pre-70, so I know I'll get smoked, but any general tips of gearing up once I get some honor?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kintaro said:
Thanks for this. Is marking targets still something tanks do or is that not used much anymore because of AoEing things down.

As for PvP, any tips there? I never went into battlegrounds pre-70, so I know I'll get smoked, but any general tips of gearing up once I get some honor?
Unlike Heroic Strike, you actually can run out of rage doing this, so make sure those mobs are well and glued, and stop cleaving while you Shockwave because you tend to generate very little rage while mobs are stunned

Belfast

Well, I'm out of a job. For anyone who at one time actually read Project Lore, I'm sad to announce that it has officially been shutdown. I don't even know if they care enough to post something on the site, but those few of us left keeping the site alive got *that* e-mail today and had our publishing permissions cut.

The site may stay online for another two weeks or so before it disappears into the ether.

It kind of went into a death spiral after Alex and the rest of them stopped caring about WoW and producing video content. I'm pretty confident the parent company, DECA, had no idea what to do with the site. The blog team rarely, if ever, heard anything from the top and lacked any sort of direction.

I think there were multiple opportunities to turn things around, but nobody ever bothered to do so.

J-Rzez

Haha... From Q&A:

Q. What happened to the advertised Dance Studio for the Wrath of the Lich King expansion?
A. It's still on the list! We always start an expansion with more than we can realistically do and then shuffle things up and down. WoW is one of those games you just never finish, which is overall a fun thing about working on it.

Bastards : /

moojito

Belfast said:
Well, I'm out of a job. For anyone who at one time actually read Project Lore, I'm sad to announce that it has officially been shutdown. I don't even know if they care enough to post something on the site, but those few of us left keeping the site alive got *that* e-mail today and had our publishing permissions cut.

The site may stay online for another two weeks or so before it disappears into the ether.

It kind of went into a death spiral after Alex and the rest of them stopped caring about WoW and producing video content. I'm pretty confident the parent company, DECA, had no idea what to do with the site. The blog team rarely, if ever, heard anything from the top and lacked any sort of direction.

I think there were multiple opportunities to turn things around, but nobody ever bothered to do so.

That's sad to hear. Back before the expansion I used to watch this a bit. It must have been during the wotlk beta as there was a lot of the wrath 5-mans on there. I have to say I'd forgotten about it til' I was randomly looking through the menus on wowhead a short while ago, so I don't think they did a great job of promoting it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
J-Rzez said:
Haha... From Q&A:

Bastards : /

It's easy to judge because we don't know what they spent time making instead of the dance studio, but if it was between something like one of the new 5 mans or a dance studio, I'm glad we got the 5 mans instead.

mclem

Kintaro said:

While there's lots of AoE, if you're just starting out you may want to mark a few key targets who can seriously own your group if they're not taken down quickly. I'm thinking of guys like the Spell Flingers in Ahn'Kahet, who are tricky to corral and have a number of moves that, if left unchecked, cause serious damage to a group of an appropriate gear level.

I basically make judgement calls about any group I'm in and mark appropriately if I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

mclem

LAUGHTREY said:
It's easy to judge because we don't know what they spent time making instead of the dance studio, but if it was between something like one of the new 5 mans or a dance studio, I'm glad we got the 5 mans instead.

I'm now imagining a 5-man Dance Studio. CONGA!

Edit: It does feel like Blizzard's philosophy is that they're reluctant to spend significant *code* time on a *cosmetic* feature. They're fine with spending art time on it; hence the fact that there's a steady stream of mounts and non-combat pets, but they seem to have a different goal in mind for the coders.

firex

I mark pain in the ass mobs that will be an issue for me to tank and need to die first, just going off limits paladin tanks have. but the last time I really did that it was ToC for the first bosses, or the obvious kill order on the guys before the confessor or paladin boss, or the spell flingers in OK.

I assume nobody has read this guy's analysis on what could be done to make WoW's pve (specifically raiding) better since I haven't seen it pasted in the thread.
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?63802-Surprise-Risk-Reward-Challenge-Discovery

Laekon

I was looking at getting back into WoW this weekend but I ran into some issues. After quitting during BC I gave my account to an old guild. The person changed most of the info at that time. I got the account back and just changed the CC info right before the last expansion and then played through January 09. Now I can't seem to remember any of the account info. I have the original and last billing credit card along with both expansion keys. Do I have a chance at Blizzard giving me the account back? The account hasn't been used since I left in 09 so they aren't taking it from anyone. I just don't know if they will give me the info since my name isn't currently on the account information.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
firex said:
I assume nobody has read this guy's analysis on what could be done to make WoW's pve (specifically raiding) better since I haven't seen it pasted in the thread.
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?63802-Surprise-Risk-Reward-Challenge-Discovery
I don't understand people who believe WoW sucks unless only them and a few of their friends can complete a raid dungeon. Most anyone can get to the end of games like Uncharted, Halo, Dragon Age, etc with enough effort. Does that mean those games suck?

I'd rather Blizz focus on making encounters fun instead of near-impossible to overcome.

I think defile will keep the Lich King from being easily puggable for quite a while. Even if DPS is amazing all it takes is one stupid person to fuck everyone.

J-Rzez

LAUGHTREY said:

As far as I'm concerned, considering the absurd amount of revenue this game generates for them they should be putting more back into it. There shouldn't be as many recycled assets, there should be more content, more features added, and especially a feature that was advertised as a bullet point such as this.

I put a lot of time into this game. I really like it a lot, but Blizzard really really frustrates me in this regard. I'm also leery on this xpac too, I have a feeling it's only going to get far worse. Recycling zones and instances already listed is frustrating to say the least. Lack of a fancy new "central hub" aka Dalaran/Shatt is saddening as well.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dry those eyes J-Rzez.

Cataclysm looks set to be the best thing that's happened to the game in a long time. I'll be sad to see Shimmering Flats turn into a lake, but it's going to be exciting to see all the zones and how they have differentiated from previously.

As for the central hub gone - thank fuck. Bring some life back into the capital cities around Azeroth; on PVE and PVP servers they are predominantly used by bank alts, they only seem to be alive on RP servers (who also seem to be the last bastion of world PVP).

arhra

Entropia said:
Does anyone play Horde on The Venture Co. by any chance? Just transferred there earlier this week.
US or EU? (I'm horde on TVC-EU).

speedpop said:
I'll be sad to see Shimmering Flats turn into a lake
I'm just hoping that the gnomes and goblins have traded in their cars for speedboats.

border

Belfast said:

That sucks -- the girl on the podcast sounded kinda hot. But then they almost always do :)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
J-Rzez said:
As far as I'm concerned, considering the absurd amount of revenue this game generates for them they should be putting more back into it. There shouldn't be as many recycled assets, there should be more content, more features added, and especially a feature that was advertised as a bullet point such as this.

I put a lot of time into this game. I really like it a lot, but Blizzard really really frustrates me in this regard. I'm also leery on this xpac too, I have a feeling it's only going to get far worse. Recycling zones and instances already listed is frustrating to say the least. Lack of a fancy new "central hub" aka Dalaran/Shatt is saddening as well.

Eh, Shatt and Dal are too laggy for my tastes, plus they're redoing the main cities or some of them anyway. What's the point of sharing a city with the opposite faction anyway? It's not like you can communicate with them in any way.

border

Why would they need another hub city anyway? Dalaran is more than adequate as-is.

LAUGHTREY said:
What's the point of sharing a city with the opposite faction anyway? It's not like you can communicate with them in any way.

Good luck finding a night elf priest or a troll rogue during the holiday events without a shared city.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
border said:
Why would they need another hub city anyway? Dalaran is more than adequate as-is.

Good luck finding a night elf priest or a troll rogue during the holiday events without a shared city.

I had to have a friend make an alt and then come to dalaran for that anyway, me running to their starting area will not be any problem.

I think that's the last thing on their mind as they make these things anyway, infact i think they'd rather you find those combos out in the wild anyway. Standing around dal targeting every troll you see isn't very fun.

Xabora

Puncture said:
Watched princes and the first attempt on the queen but the feed it to jumpy friend. Every few seconds it cuts out.
He is swapping to Ethernet now so it shouldn't lag like that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom