• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
mclem said:
It's more the fact that every class needs a DPS spec because every class already has a DPS spec, and any proposed changes which could basically boil down to telling people "If you want to DPS, you'd better reroll" are a no-no.

Oh I know, I'm just sort of arm waving over stuff that should have been done from the start, not stuff they can or even should do at this point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mclem said:
Part of me thinks a tank legendary ought to be a shield rather than a weapon, but that kinda screws things up for DKs and druids. Maybe a choice, as mentioned above?

I do wonder if they're deliberately nervous about doing tank legendaries because, while a DPS legendary might boost the DPS of 1 of 18 people, and a healing legendary might boost the heal output of 1 of 6 people, in many fights the tank legendary would increase the survivability of one person or one of two people, which might be tough to balance around; the tanks are a highly focussed potential point of failure, and reducing the risk on the tanks lucky enough to get the legendary too much might make it too powerful - but if they don't do that reduction, it'll feel weedy.
Shields aren't cool enough.

moojito

Angry Grimace said:
Shields aren't cool enough.

!

neff_dala.png

arhra

mclem said:
Mind you, explicitly forcing all paladins into a tanking or healing role would do wonderful things to the dungeon finder!
No it wouldn't. The FotM rets would just switch back to their DKs/hunters/rogues/warlocks (you know they've got one of those, at least), and the long-term rets would either quit, reroll/switch to an alt, or grudgingly go prot, then proceed to not tank for anything that isn't a guild run (i'd probably be in the latter group).

Besides, given how indescribably terrible most ret paldins are, do you really want those players forced into a role with some degree of responsibility?

Retro

FLEABttn said:
That made me chuckle.

There's a lot of players who were Ret before WotLK made them a FotM class. I was one of them, right up until mid-TBC when I switched to Prot. I still have a Ret pally for DPS and BGs though.

There will always be flavor of the month classes. Retribution paladins pre-WotLK were mocked incessantly for being easy kills, bubble-hearthers, etc. After WotLK, they climbed so quickly that they were mocked incessantly for being noobs, facerollers, etc. They simply grew too strong too fast.

There's always been a lot of hate for Paladins... it's justified now though. I'm hoping the changes to Ret make it more interesting to play, because a lot of the people who are Ret now will disappear. That's how it's always been and always will be.

Jrmint

yacobod said:
purging the game of huntards would do wonders for the playerbase tho
fixed.

To be honest at level 80 the huntard population has severely dwindled since they all rolled DK's, but while leveling up my alt Druid (level 64 atm) I cannot count how many huntards come in with gorillas and bears and will not turn growl off in 5 mans. Drives me crazy.

Wrekt

Where are you seeing these bad rets? I don't run into rets often but I haven't gotten a random dungeon with a ret under 3k dps yet. I can't even count the number of rogues and hunters I've seen under 1k.

FLEABttn

Banned
Retro said:
There's a lot of players who were Ret before WotLK made them a FotM class. I was one of them, right up until mid-TBC when I switched to Prot. I still have a Ret pally for DPS and BGs though.

There will always be flavor of the month classes. Retribution paladins pre-WotLK were mocked incessantly for being easy kills, bubble-hearthers, etc. After WotLK, they climbed so quickly that they were mocked incessantly for being noobs, facerollers, etc. They simply grew too strong too fast.

There's always been a lot of hate for Paladins... it's justified now though. I'm hoping the changes to Ret make it more interesting to play, because a lot of the people who are Ret now will disappear. That's how it's always been and always will be.

I know there were a lot of players who were ret before they made them OP, but that's part of when I'm chuckling. They weren't particularly good until late, late TBC, and were outright awful in vanilla. I wouldn't feel bad if vanilla ret paladins were "forced" to reroll or whatever because they weren't doing it right to begin with.

Though they'd just end up rolling something else and not know what to do with it, so it's not a fight that's winnable. Unless blizz gave me the power of permanent banning <.<

FLEABttn

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yeah I've seen a lot more bad DKs, Hunters, and Warlocks then Ret Paladins.

To be fair, their numbers have come down a lot, and they don't try to kill me anymore after my mass PvE exodus. But my rage still burns.

I don't think Warlocks have been OP in a while, and I haven't PvP'd in years, but it's still the 1.6 or patch or thereabouts in my head in regards to them.

Flib

FINALLY got my druid to 80 last night, and I've started healing and tanking heroics with him. My third 80, and while I've played most classes to a relatively high level, nothing comes close to how much I'm enjoying this toon. Definitely switching him to my main.

Kind of funny, druid's name is Barkface and while healing a random dungeon I got grouped with a bear tank named Bearface. Lawls.

notworksafe

FLEABttn said:
To be fair, their numbers have come down a lot, and they don't try to kill me anymore after my mass PvE exodus. But my rage still burns.

I don't think Warlocks have been OP in a while, and I haven't PvP'd in years, but it's still the 1.6 or patch or thereabouts in my head in regards to them.
Yeah been a while since they were OP, but they are still quite good. I've seen a lot of WTF locks lately though that depress me when I outdps them. Granted I've been using more DPS gear, but I only do about 3800.

falastini

Bliz sent me an email saying I had 7 days free on my account, so I went ahead and activated it... to at least see what changed over the past year. Dungeon finder is insane. In just a few days, I was swimming in badges. Maybe it's because I was playing on my druid tank, but finding a group and getting started only took seconds.

It's been fun, but I don't think I wanna re-start my account just yet. I'm hoping they roll out the new Azeroth this summer. That would give me an excuse to start playing again before Cataclysm.

On the plus side, this dropped (Super Simian Sphere); perfect for my druid. Now I can be a flying monkey!

2053876.jpg

notworksafe

falastini said:
Bliz sent me an email saying I had 7 days free on my account, so I went ahead and activated it... to at least see what changed over the past year. Dungeon finder is insane. In just a few days, I was swimming in badges. Maybe it's because I was playing on my druid tank, but finding a group and getting started only took seconds.

It's been fun, but I don't think I wanna re-start my account just yet. I'm hoping they roll out the new Azeroth this summer. That would give me an excuse to start playing again before Cataclysm.

On the plus side, this dropped (Super Simian Sphere); perfect for my druid. Now I can be a flying monkey!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2053876.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Pretty badass UI. Is it a pre-built one?

falastini

notworksafe said:
Pretty badass UI. Is it a pre-built one?

Yeah, it's called TukUI. It's not that flexible, and you have to manually edit the .lua to make changes, but I really liked how most of it was setup anyways. Btw, I only have 7 days to play and I essentially wasted 1 of them trying out various UI setups :lol. I haven't used the default version in so long I dunno if I can anymore.

Hixx

Nooooo the morons have infected my battlegroup, had nothing but shit today :( Used to be so pleasant, but today got a DK tank who didn't know how CoS worked. And he had 40k unbuffed so he wasn't exactly new to heroics. But the kicker was when he was stood there with full health, all of a sudden 'HEAL FFS'. I explain he has full health so it would be pointless. 'I got to 5k!' I explain that he didn't die, nor did anyone else, although I had about 15 of the zombies on me and everytime I moved to him to get them caught in the AoE he ran away :lol. He then proceeds to call me dickhead, fuck face, cunt, etcs. All while he was running the wrong way around killing the zombies.

When my guildmates joined in he sharp shut up, but wow. First time I've had anyone have a go at me in a heroic - and it was over absolutely nothing :lol

notworksafe

falastini said:
Yeah, it's called TukUI. It's not that flexible, and you have to manually edit the .lua to make changes, but I really liked how most of it was setup anyways. Btw, I only have 7 days to play and I essentially wasted 1 of them trying out various UI setups :lol. I haven't used the default version in so long I dunno if I can anymore.
Interesting. I'll have to give it a shot later and see what I can come up with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Yeah I've seen a lot more bad DKs, Hunters, and Warlocks then Ret Paladins.
It's hard to be bad at Ret Paladin because the difference between bad and good isn't that big. I mean, if you hit say, Consecrate before you hit Divine Storm, you're doing it wrong, but you could still do like 4K DPS.

arhra

Angry Grimace said:
It's hard to be bad at Ret Paladin because the difference between bad and good isn't that big. I mean, if you hit say, Consecrate before you hit Divine Storm, you're doing it wrong, but you could still do like 4K DPS.
In heroics, the difference between a good ret paladin and a bad one is a single talent point - Seal of Command.

And you wouldn't believe the number of idiots who somehow still manage to screw it up :(

FLEABttn said:

I've been playing (with a few breaks) since launch. I think at this point i hate every single class. Including the ones i play.

Flib

falastini said:
I tried resto a bit and clique worked with it, if that's what your asking.

I meant natively without having to load clique...I guess I could keep running vuhdo with it. I like the minimal design a lot, so I'll check it out when I get home.

Angry Grimace

arhra said:
In heroics, the difference between a good ret paladin and a bad one is a single talent point - Seal of Command.

And you wouldn't believe the number of idiots who somehow still manage to screw it up :(

I've been playing (with a few breaks) since launch. I think at this point i hate every single class. Including the ones i play.
A friend of mine refused to believe that SoComm was any good until he got to level 62 :lol

falastini

Flib said:
I meant natively without having to load clique...I guess I could keep running vuhdo with it. I like the minimal design a lot, so I'll check it out when I get home.
Honestly, now that I think about it, I think it had some click functionality. Then again why did I load clique? If my trial is still up I'll let you know when I get home.

Jrmint

notworksafe said:
Been playing with TukUI a bit and this is what I've got so far. There's a few more fixes I could put in, but for now I'm pleased with it.

Putting a link, because the image is too huge:
http://i42.tinypic.com/29wroi.jpg
Pretty nice.

By the way, are raid frames part of this UI package? If so, which frames are used?

Either way, would Grid work with it?

FLEABttn said:
That would be why. DPS queues on my server are usually 10-20 min.

What is the appeal for people to be DPS?

No group can work without the Tank or the Healer. why is being DPS so fun? I dont get it. I simply dont. its the ordinary thing to do. and even the tanks and dps are able to do damage.

Hixx

Vigilant Walrus said:

No group can work without the Tank or the Healer. why is being DPS so fun? I dont get it. I simply dont. its the ordinary thing to do. and even the tanks and dps are able to do damage.

All the rewards, less pressure and responsibility. How often do you wipe on a raid/heroic because of lack of damage these days?

Jrmint

Vigilant Walrus said:
People like seeing big numbers and it is much easier.

Also, there is a lot of stress in being a tank or healer, since you control the group surviving or dying. With a dps you just need to worry about yourself, so I don't think people like that stress and/or added responsibility.

I have 2 dps toons at 80: Hunter and DK (may be a tank in Cata, not sure), and I am leveling a Druid currently for heals. I honestly cannot believe how much fun it is doing something so different like Druid healing from what I have been doing the past 2 years. It really is cool.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wish blizzard would send me a 7 day free trial for my account. I want to jump back on, check out the dead jubei'thos alliance side and sell all my crap :lol

Which brings me to the question. Is there anyway to buy a single month game card online? Do they even do them in 30 days or is it 60 only? I just didn't want to bind my CC to the account again only to forget about it and get charged.

Flib

Skel said:
People like seeing big numbers and it is much easier.

Also, there is a lot of stress in being a tank or healer, since you control the group surviving or dying. With a dps you just need to worry about yourself, so I don't think people like that stress and/or added responsibility.

I have 2 dps toons at 80: Hunter and DK (may be a tank in Cata, not sure), and I am leveling a Druid currently for heals. I honestly cannot believe how much fun it is doing something so different like Druid healing from what I have been doing the past 2 years. It really is cool.

This exactly what I just did (though the DK is now a tank), reached 80 last night. Healing heroics as a druid is a blast.

Jrmint

Yea I'm just healing Outland dungeons at the moment.

I've healed Blood Furnace twice and Mana Tombs once, and it was a blast.

J-Rzez

Finally after not playing for a few weeks, along with many of my guildmates, we got a group together and got our Kingslayer titles. I have a feeling though our reunion will be short lived and no one will show up again for hardmodes lol. People are just too busy it seems, missing our core raiders and such, while others are just hardcore arena players now. Damn real life and damn the game for having so many things to do in it.

notworksafe

evlcookie said:
I wish blizzard would send me a 7 day free trial for my account. I want to jump back on, check out the dead jubei'thos alliance side and sell all my crap :lol

Which brings me to the question. Is there anyway to buy a single month game card online? Do they even do them in 30 days or is it 60 only? I just didn't want to bind my CC to the account again only to forget about it and get charged.
You might want to just check your Battle.net account. A friend of mine went into his when he got the SC2 beta and there was a notice under his expired WoW account that he had a free 7 days. Blizz didn't send him an email or anything.

VaLiancY

Vigilant Walrus said:

I like merking fools with my arrows.

I manage my aggro and keep good numbers up. But pretty much, no one can't give me shit if I die. Cause I always enjoy the pub raids where they point fingers. :lol

Tank: "WTF? I Shield Wall and got no heals"
Healer: "The tank wouldn't have died if DPS stopped taking so damage and learn to manage their aggro"
DPS: "Don't blame us because you can't heal scrub."

Belfast

HixxSAFC said:
All the rewards, less pressure and responsibility. How often do you wipe on a raid/heroic because of lack of damage these days?

And yet if you had no DPS, you'd be right fucked.

There are plenty of fights in current content that require you have a certain amount of DPS.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
notworksafe said:
You might want to just check your Battle.net account. A friend of mine went into his when he got the SC2 beta and there was a notice under his expired WoW account that he had a free 7 days. Blizz didn't send him an email or anything.

Damn nothing there :lol

Alex

Competitive DPS can be quite stressful, I know whenever I played a DPS class or spec I really worked my ass off. If you're a good DPS, one who is educated of everything in not only your role, but in the ones of others as well and seeks to not only preform well but reduce stress and consumption from everyone, then yeah, it can be exhausting.

It's not stressful in the same manner though. Healing, at least around the time I quit, had really grown to be very stupid, it was WAY too spam happy and it was exhausting and not very fun to stop to scratch your nose for a millisecond and have someone die because you weren't mindlessly spamming.

I really look forward to the triage styled redesign and will happily take that method along with emphasis on mana management in exchange for SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM.

Now if they backpeddle on the first dungeon ups in the name of "challenge", and we wind up with heavy mana management AND spamspamspamspamspam in the place of raid design, then Blizzard can fuck off and die.

My only concern in Cataclysm for healers is with mana management in Rated BGs.

mclem

HixxSAFC said:

In our case, significantly more often than we do due to a lack of tank survivability or healing.

Often, our first kills have been with a few healers fewer than the strats suggest, because the extra DPSers were enough to tip the balance, and our healers are awesome.

We're a weird guild.

Magnus

I'm just letting you all know right now that if any of you lands an extra Cataclysm beta invite (in the coming months) and wish to part with it, I am willing to pay in many blowjobs (or whatever else can be arranged :p) -- I need to get the itch of exploring the new Azeroth and the new race areas out of the way before Sept when school is back on, or I know I'll prioritize poorly and my schoolwork will suffer. :lol

I'm serious though. Head for a key. Make the right choice.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Magnus said:
I'm just letting you all know right now that if any of you lands an extra Cataclysm beta invite (in the coming months) and wish to part with it, I am willing to pay in many blowjobs (or whatever else can be arranged :p) -- I need to get the itch of exploring the new Azeroth and the new race areas out of the way before Sept when school is back on, or I know I'll prioritize poorly and my schoolwork will suffer. :lol

I'm serious though. Head for a key. Make the right choice.
are u a guy

Cipherr

HixxSAFC said:

It may not be now, but Putricide had some seriously amazing wipe numbers before the easymode buff went in. And that is very much a fight where a lack of dps will get your raid killed. Stuff needs to go down, dps switches need to be on point and the whole fight was a race before the buff went live and everyone was BiS.

J-Rzez

mclem said:
In our case, significantly more often than we do due to a lack of tank survivability or healing.

Often, our first kills have been with a few healers fewer than the strats suggest, because the extra DPSers were enough to tip the balance, and our healers are awesome.

We're a weird guild.

We do the same in 10-man. We actually 2-heal all the fights outside of the LK fight. As far as I'm concerned, we've got some of the best healers in the game, and we did this pre-buff.

Angry Grimace

arhra said:
No it wouldn't. The FotM rets would just switch back to their DKs/hunters/rogues/warlocks (you know they've got one of those, at least), and the long-term rets would either quit, reroll/switch to an alt, or grudgingly go prot, then proceed to not tank for anything that isn't a guild run (i'd probably be in the latter group).

Besides, given how indescribably terrible most ret paldins are, do you really want those players forced into a role with some degree of responsibility?
I never bought into the concept of "Flavor of the month classes." It's not as easy to just reroll as it sounds. Rogue is very fun and unique in PvP and does the most damage in PvE, and still is the least played class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom