• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FlawlessCowboy said:
Trash dps is a normally a pretty good indication of how well said dps can do on boss fights. At least, that's from my experience.
lol no.

You realize, half of the classes AoE DPS requires pressing one button.

Angry Grimace said:
lol no.

You realize, half of the classes AoE DPS requires pressing one button.

So? Again, from my personal experience, if dps is pulling 20k+ on trash, they can normally do pretty well on bosses since they're obviously well geared.

/shrugs

J-Rzez

FlawlessCowboy said:
Trash dps is a normally a pretty good indication of how well said dps can do on boss fights. At least, that's from my experience.

Not really, as some class's AoE is way stronger than their ST value. Also, for many it's far less button presses. Then you have encounter mechaincs, etc, etc. Only way to find out how well something is, is by doing a boss encounter itself.

Or just go off of Gearscore. Gearscore knows everything, all and all, sent as a gift from the WoW heavens to it's players.

To be honest, I'm surprised that Blizzard hasn't implemented something like this for the users considering it has built in mechanics to determine what you're capable of for random heroics/dungeons.

And, also, damage meters. How they haven't added that in yet is beyond me.

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm unsubscribed again. I came back around december, after being gone since BC's release so didn't take too long to back out again. When I first started back up I told myself if I wasn't having fun anymore, i'd quit and that's what happened.

Well, the guild I'm in consists of a few friends, but also contains some guys that can't quite control their anger. I wasn't quite fond of their attitude, but for the most part I tried to ignore it. Though a few times they'd direct it toward me, a couple times with reason... sometimes I was a scape goat. Regardless, a couple days ago I accidentally pulled Patchwerk in Naxx too soon (we were just doing some stupid achievement run), and wiped the raid. A couple of them went totally ballistic, and at that point I realized I wasn't quite having fun anymore. I don't mind people getting upset, frustrated, or even pointing out flaws but if you do it like that guy in the famous -50 DKP video... well you have issues.

Sad that I won't get to see the lich king killed, I was a tank for ICC runs and he was the last boss we had, but it's just not worth it. A pity really.

So, our very small guild of inexperienced raiders are going to try ToC10 tonight.

What does WOW-gaf think of it? We will probably wipe alot, but we're a casual guild so there isn't any expectations.

And as a holy pally, I hope I can manage. Lol. I've never raided as my pally.

Jin

Ferrio said:
So I'm unsubscribed again. I came back around december, after being gone since BC's release so didn't take too long to back out again. When I first started back up I told myself if I wasn't having fun anymore, i'd quit and that's what happened.

Well, the guild I'm in consists of a few friends, but also contains some guys that can't quite control their anger. I wasn't quite fond of their attitude, but for the most part I tried to ignore it. Though a few times they'd direct it toward me, a couple times with reason... sometimes I was a scape goat. Regardless, a couple days ago I accidentally pulled Patchwerk in Naxx too soon (we were just doing some stupid achievement run), and wiped the raid. A couple of them went totally ballistic, and at that point I realized I wasn't quite having fun anymore. I don't mind people getting upset, frustrated, or even pointing out flaws but if you do it like that guy in the famous -50 DKP video... well you have issues.

Sad that I won't get to see the lich king killed, I was a tank for ICC runs and he was the last boss we had, but it's just not worth it. A pity really.

Have you try looking for another guild? Everyone is looking for tanks. Don't let assholes make you leave the game. When someone in our guild act that way we immediately mute him, and sometimes gkick their ass to the curb.

FLEABttn

Banned
MattPeters said:
So, our very small guild of inexperienced raiders are going to try ToC10 tonight.

What does WOW-gaf think of it? We will probably wipe alot, but we're a casual guild so there isn't any expectations.

And as a holy pally, I hope I can manage. Lol. I've never raided as my pally.

The easiest raid instance ever.

That said, I know of a couple guilds who were stuck in there without an in guild Anub kill for months. If your guild is made up of bads, prepare for the worst. If not, it'll be a cinch.

Ferrio

Banned
Hadoken said:
Have you try looking for another guild? Everyone is looking for tanks. Don't let assholes make you leave the game. When someone in our guild act that way we immediately mute him, and sometimes gkick their ass to the curb.

I don't care to look for one, also I play by old values so I don't like leaving a guild after being geared up by it. I'd rather just leave the game and be done with it.

Swag

Ugh finding a guild on my Prot warrior is proving to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had playing this game.

Been in 4 different guilds so far, sat out of ICC 25 so far in all of them. Not cause I'm not geared but because they all have Core tanks yet they recruit tanks then sit them when it's time for raids.

So annoying Pugging ICC 25 for a 3rd week in a row, Never going to see anything past Putricide 25 at this rate.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Ugh finding a guild on my Prot warrior is proving to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had playing this game.

Been in 4 different guilds so far, sat out of ICC 25 so far in all of them. Not cause I'm not geared but because they all have Core tanks yet they recruit tanks then sit them when it's time for raids.

So annoying Pugging ICC 25 for a 3rd week in a row, Never going to see anything past Putricide 25 at this rate.
Just wait until cataclysm.

Swag

Door2Dawn said:
Just wait until cataclysm.

My problem isn't that I want a guild, it's I need a group of people capable of getting past Putricide 25. Impossible in PuGs it seems unless it's a partial guild run

Ferrio

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
My problem isn't that I want a guild, it's I need a group of people capable of getting past Putricide 25. Impossible in PuGs it seems unless it's a partial guild run

You're not going to find a random pug that can down the hall bosses until ICC is nerfed quite a bit more. Even then it's going to be iffy since t he fights are a bit more involved than the lower spire.

Ferrio said:
You're not going to find a random pug that can down the hall bosses until ICC is nerfed quite a bit more. Even then it's going to be iffy since t he fights are a bit more involved than the lower spire.

Or you can switch servers. I'm pretty sure the pugs on Mal'Ganis are downing the lich king.

Ferrio said:
Pugs, or guilds that pug some of the slots?

I can't say for sure since I'm not geared enough to get in said groups (they usually require 5.8k GS+), but they don't mention it being a guild run when spamming trade chat.

Ferrio

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
I can't say for sure since I'm not geared enough to get in said groups (they usually require 5.8k GS+), but they don't mention it being a guild run when spamming trade chat.

5.8K GS+ means these people most likely have beat lich king before.

Swag

Azwethinkweiz said:
Or you can switch servers. I'm pretty sure the pugs on Mal'Ganis are downing the lich king.

I'm on Mal'Ganis, and although the PuGs are amazing, the barrier to entry for them is even more amazing :lol

J-Rzez

LFM ICC-10, FRESH RUN. 6200GS + Hard Mode Achievements ONLY. Your gear must be all higher than any possible item that can drop in there that I need to be carried to get.

Rapstah

J-Rzez said:
LFM ICC-10, FRESH RUN. 6200GS + Hard Mode Achievements ONLY. Your gear must be all higher than any possible item that can drop in there that I need to be carried to get.
Doesn't beat the "For the Alliance!" raids with GS requirements... I think the record was 5500 on Ragnaros EU. :/

EDIT: And I'm apparently no longer a Junior, off to post some dumb shit thread to get me banned.

J-Rzez said:

Not sure what they'll do when a new instance comes out.

"PM Achievement!"

Willectro

Banned
FlawlessCowboy said:

Sometimes yea. I'm spec'd mut on my rogue and my dps is far higher on bosses when I can get 2 poisons, 2 bleeds, and S+D going, etc.

Trash can be a good indication in 5-mans, how the group is going to do.

Fularu

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I'm on Mal'Ganis, and although the PuGs are amazing, the barrier to entry for them is even more amazing :lol

If your gear is good enough and you don't blow, talk to Kresh (he's in Vigil, my former guild). He has Saturday weekly runs (register on sc-raids.com) and they are probably killing everything but Arthas right now

yacobod

Banned
same thing on Illidan

i quit my guild over a month ago, benched my raiding hunter, just started pugging on my warrior and my dk, my warrior has a pug 25m group he raids with that gets 10/12 each week, and i've got my 10m drake through pugging, only need to kill LK on 10m heroic now which probably will be doable with my 10m group after the 15% buff

and i know blood legion pug/alt 25m icc runs kill Lich King and do like 5 or 6 hardmodes :lol , i know they run 2 per week, so i need to get in on that shit, but raiding on my hunter isnt even remotely fun, and my dk is not geared enough for their runs

Interfectum

Been going back and forth on what I'm going to roll when Cataclysm comes out and I think I've decided to go with a Worgan Druid. I've never healed before, I love using stealth mechanics and I'd like to dip my toes in tanking. Druid seems like a no-brainer for me at this point... What is everyone else rolling, if nothing else but to try out the new starting zones?

btw, how is the cat form stealth? I know it's not near as good as rogue stealth, nor should it be, but is it still useful?

Flib

Interfectum said:
Been going back and forth on what I'm going to roll when Cataclysm comes out and I think I've decided to go with a Worgan Druid. I've never healed before, I love using stealth mechanics and I'd like to dip my toes in tanking. Druid seems like a no-brainer for me at this point... What is everyone else rolling, if nothing else but to try out the new starting zones?

btw, how is the cat form stealth? I know it's not near as good as rogue stealth, nor should it be, but is it still useful?

It's great, just make sure to take the talent that improves it. Only issue is that you can't vanish. Feral leveling is fantastic once you get mangle. Last few levels before 80 though, I ended up doing most quests in bear form since you can HOT-up, round up tons of mobs and swipe them to death.

You will also learn to love flight form.

arhra

[Heroic: Storming the Citadel (10 player)] get.

Saurfang is fucking stressful. And i don't even have to heal it.

Also, i'm really starting to hate the Gunship battle. I've been killing it on a weekly basis since 3.3 went live last year, and it's never dropped the plate boots or str cloak (didn't mind too much when we were doing it on normal, since i didn't need them, but on heroic they're pretty much best-in-slot for me since i don't have access to 25m gear...)

Interfectum

Flib said:
It's great, just make sure to take the talent that improves it. Only issue is that you can't vanish. Feral leveling is fantastic once you get mangle. Last few levels before 80 though, I ended up doing most quests in bear form since you can HOT-up, round up tons of mobs and swipe them to death.

You will also learn to love flight form.

If I wanted to level up one using mainly cat form but I'd like to tank and/or heal through low level instances would it be good to invest in mainly attack power heirloom items (shoulder, chest, trinkets x2, weapon)? Could i still be a viable healer in pre-80 instances using those heirloom items?

J-Rzez

arhra said:
[Heroic: Storming the Citadel (10 player)] get.

Saurfang is fucking stressful. And i don't even have to heal it.

Also, i'm really starting to hate the Gunship battle. I've been killing it on a weekly basis since 3.3 went live last year, and it's never dropped the plate boots or str cloak (didn't mind too much when we were doing it on normal, since i didn't need them, but on heroic they're pretty much best-in-slot for me since i don't have access to 25m gear...)

Don't get me started on that Saronite Gargoyle cape, it took me over a month, maybe two for it to drop. It was soooo damn frustrating. I'm in the same boat anymore though, I don't feel like pugging 25m anymore, and just waiting on us doing some hardmodes. If that happens I should say, considering we were supposed to do it on Tues, but par for the course, people didn't show up.

Flib

Interfectum said:
If I wanted to level up one using mainly cat form but I'd like to tank and/or heal through low level instances would it be good to invest in mainly attack power heirloom items (shoulder, chest, trinkets x2, weapon)? Could i still be a viable healer in pre-80 instances using those heirloom items?

You'd need some caster leather, or else you'd go out of mana really really quickly. You don't need massive sets. You should be able to tank fine in your AP gear as long as you grab some tanking talents (many of which share abilities with cat form).

falastini

Interfectum said:

Druids provide amazing diversity. You can essentially spec into every class archetype in the game (heals, magic, melee, tank). The only issue is, in exchange for this flexibility, a lot of the forms feel like dumbed down versions of their counterparts, and that includes cat form. If you love stealthing specifically you might wanna give Rogue a shot.

That doesn't mean they're weaker, Blizzard has learned how to address that issue the last few exp, but they don't have as many tools as the other classes.

The only build that feels like it's own fleshed out class is Resto. There's nothing in the game like it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
falastini said:
Druids provide amazing diversity. You can essentially spec into every class archetype in the game (heals, magic, melee, tank). The only issue is, in exchange for this flexibility, a lot of the forms feel like dumbed down versions of their counterparts, and that includes cat form. If you love stealthing specifically you might wanna give Rogue a shot.

That doesn't mean they're weaker, Blizzard has learned how to address that issue the last few exp, but they don't have as many tools as the other classes.

The only build that feels like it's own fleshed out class is Resto. There's nothing in the game like it.
The two dps roles a Druid can do actually DO feel weaker than their counterparts, but cat-druid still does insane amounts of damage (probably the highest of all hybrids), but I honestly feel like I see less cat druids than I do rogues, and rogues are already scarce.

moojito

Angry Grimace said:
The two dps roles a Druid can do actually DO feel weaker than their counterparts, but cat-druid still does insane amounts of damage (probably the highest of all hybrids), but I honestly feel like I see less cat druids than I do rogues, and rogues are already scarce.

It's the John Madden thing. I have a feral cat as my main, and it's pretty stressful. The result of getting everything absolutely perfect and feeling like you've been juggling for 10 minutes is doing only slightly less dps than a 'sinister strike to 5 and eviscerate' rogue. I don't know if I'd want it changed too much, though. After playing this game for so long, I probably need the challenge or I'd lose interest.

Bliz often say they want to reward complexity. They should implement some kind of stacking buff that improves your damage as long as you have rip, rake, savage roar and mangle all up. If any of them fall off it resets, but potentially if you play well you can get crazy dps. That would be cool.

Angry Grimace

moojito said:
It's the John Madden thing. I have a feral cat as my main, and it's pretty stressful. The result of getting everything absolutely perfect and feeling like you've been juggling for 10 minutes is doing only slightly less dps than a 'sinister strike to 5 and eviscerate' rogue. I don't know if I'd want it changed too much, though. After playing this game for so long, I probably need the challenge or I'd lose interest.

Bliz often say they want to reward complexity. They should implement some kind of stacking buff that improves your damage as long as you have rip, rake, savage roar and mangle all up. If any of them fall off it resets, but potentially if you play well you can get crazy dps. That would be cool.
Blizzard also thinks that Arcane Mage is complex because they have to juggle a couple of cooldowns.

Evlar

Banned
Interfectum said:

I'm rolling a Worgen Druid and a Dwarf Shaman. Booya.

Swag

Fularu said:
If your gear is good enough and you don't blow, talk to Kresh (he's in Vigil, my former guild). He has Saturday weekly runs (register on sc-raids.com) and they are probably killing everything but Arthas right now

Dude thanks a lot, another great ICC group today ruined by ninja loggers. On Sindragoa 5th attempt lost the warrior / shaman :lol

Angry Grimace

Evlar said:
I'm rolling a Worgen Druid and a Dwarf Shaman. Booya.
The thing I don't care for about Druids is that you spend all your time in "form" so you don't really notice your race/character's personal appearance.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
Blizzard also thinks that Arcane Mage is complex because they have to juggle a couple of cooldowns.

I remember them saying that and it drew a smirk on my face. Just like how they said the "rune" system was too tough of players :D

Swag

jim-jam bongs said:
The best cat-durid in my guild is a 16 yo girl who communicates in caps and smilies. The perfect candidate for JOHN FUCKING MADDEN training.

What's John Madden training?

Swag

Ugh Sindragosa has blocked me from LK again, it's like noone can kill this dragon. How hard is it to not Ice Block the entire raid

FUCK

Thats 2/3 characters this week thats 10/12

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
notworksafe said:
This. Flight form is the best mount in the game.
So true. I did a quick CoT-Stratholme earlier tonight with a few guildies and wasn't going to bother rolling for the Bronze Drake since I love Flight Form so much. Everyone else had it and they kinda forced me to accept it anyway. I'll never use it.

STORM CROW FOREVER.

Angry Grimace said:
The thing I don't care for about Druids is that you spend all your time in "form" so you don't really notice your race/character's personal appearance.
I know it's cringe-worthy, but the only reason why I'll bother with a Worgen/Troll Druid for the first 10-20 levels is to see their quests :lol

Alex

Flight Form is awesome in execution, but the entire ideal of shape shifting is still just so wildly unappealing to me that I'd rather just sit and do the damn cast time. The reason, along with race issues, that I can never stick with Druid. Aesthetics mean far more to me than they should.

I still have not the foggiest of what healer I will play this go round, need beta to start and need another slot! I want to do Priest again, I love my Priest but the new bits are so vague and I'd want first hand experience to see if any of my personal qualms were addressed, which are pretty much exclusively quality of play concerns for Battlegrounds. I plan to really get into the rated ones if I come back. I've always loved Battlegrounds.

Got Gladiator during S2 in arena (War/War/Ele. Sham/Mage/Priest = fun!) but I still hated the format and have yet to really touch it since. I tried a little at the start of S3, but the swapping to all of the multi healer and mana drain norms, etc... that's no fun! It got even less for for my tastes after that, blah. Bring on the BG antics and let's see if hyper competition cannot ruin them!

Well... we did do 2100 in 2's during the first LK season, but that's because me and a close friend were doing DK/PLD at the time, and thus it took no time, effort and we pretty much just talked about television shows and books while steamrolling down people who were probably genuinely trying. Good ol' expansion launches.

y2dvd

So I'm a lvl 33 night elf BM. I read that you can train your pet new abilities by going to the Beast Mastery icon under the General tab in the Spellbook. Problem is I don't see that icon! I know it's a slingshot pic, but I swear I do not have it.

What I'm trying to do is learn Bite on my bear. So I put it in the stable and tamed a wolf with Bite. The wolf already gained 3 lvls, yet I still got no message saying I can train Bite.

Maybe I was reading old guides and it's changed since then? Any help would be appreciated!

Interfectum

Alex said:
Flight Form is awesome in execution, but the entire ideal of shape shifting is still just so wildly unappealing to me that I'd rather just sit and do the damn cast time. The reason, along with race issues, that I can never stick with Druid. Aesthetics mean far more to me than they should.

Don't feel bad... the only reason I rolled a Warlock is Blizzard has consistently made their end-game armor look awesome. Lucky for me I ended up liking how the class plays. :lol

And another thing, I would absolutely love to play a Shaman but I can't stand Draenai or Dwarves and I don't want to play horde because I hate their cities.

So yeah, I know where you are coming from. :lol

Flib

I always thought I'd have a problem with the shapeshifting thing, but the class is just too much fun that it doesn't bother me. Excited that Restos (my main spec) won't have to be in form in Cata, but I will shed a single solitary tear for my rotten broccoli form. I'm so used to it at this point.

Flib

y2dvd said:
So I'm a lvl 33 night elf BM. I read that you can train your pet new abilities by going to the Beast Mastery icon under the General tab in the Spellbook. Problem is I don't see that icon! I know it's a slingshot pic, but I swear I do not have it.

What I'm trying to do is learn Bite on my bear. So I put it in the stable and tamed a wolf with Bite. The wolf already gained 3 lvls, yet I still got no message saying I can train Bite.

Maybe I was reading old guides and it's changed since then? Any help would be appreciated!

You can't learn bite on your bear, and training has changed completely from the old days. Bears get swipe instead.

Go to your talents tab (press N), and you should see a tab on the right part of the window with a picture of your pet. That's the talent tree for your pet and where you train him.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
MMO Champ has pics of what might be Deathwing's "Human" form.

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2010/april/056.jpg

The pic actually reminds me of the serpent-like Flamewalkers from Molten Core.

142y328.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom